Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: French Country in Texas?

Did I hear correctly that Clint made the table as a gift or was it that he made it and it was a gift from Chip and Jo?  I also noticed that two people were eating at the counter, so table still not quite big enough, but Jo was limited by space.

Edited by schnauzergirl

I loved this couple, and what a sweet son.  Awesome that they refused to even set foot in the house that looked like it would fall down.  "Oh hell no!"

They totally got me because I even said to myself "How in the world will they be able to do this reno for $30K?"

Really liked the kitchen, especially the area around the oven, although I think I would have done a bigger oven.  For a serious cook, it would be great to have that space for your oils, spices, etc.  Nana was so excited about having a pot-filler, which was cute.

I also like the exterior makeover.

• Love 3
On 1/24/2017 at 11:02 PM, GaT said:

The dad made me laugh, his reactions were so low key.

He was fantastic. "I sure appreciate my son."  Straight. To the point. I liked him a lot. They both had good energy. Sweet son.

Cracked me up when dad was all, "I'm not going in there."  A man of few words so when he said you knew me meant it.

• Love 3
On 1/19/2017 at 5:12 PM, tobeannounced said:

I noticed those too! I thought, what the hell are those crappy macrame hangers all over the place? It just looked so odd with the rest of the space, and that is not a thing that needs to be revisited, IMHO.

She also has those shitty sheep wool looking macrame looking wall art stuffs.  I don't know what they are called, but they are from the seventies and IMO they suck.  They used one in the pawpaw house.   

• Love 1

I loved this last episode so much. Mom saying she was 'grateful & humbled ', the family loving the porch and that beautiful kitchen. And I totally got the excitement over the pot filler. I want one too! That was such a pretty area too but dang it sure looks hot out there. I'm a California beach native & just can't handle the heat. The house prices in Waco & Mexia are incredible. $130,000 might buy you a garage in my area. Well, this renter can always dream...

• Love 2

WOW! Not one but two televisions in the design! I really like the playroom one was put in a pretty built-in. Actually I liked the whole house when it was done. I do wonder what the bedrooms and bathrooms looked like. Jo mentioned that they would be painted and new floors put in....still wish we got at least a little peek!

• Love 2

I will admit to still having macrame plant hangers.  I have a lot of them but only use three currently, they're the three that my mom made for me. The rest are packed up somewhere.  I have probably more than 50 houseplants and some are in the macramé hangers and the rest of the hanging plants are in really cool wooden hangers that my son made for me. 

I hate seeing beautiful, natural brick painted.  To each their own of course but painted brick is so bad.  I prefer a warm, cozy house instead of a shiny, cold modern one. I love natural brick and stone and unpainted wood. I loved the huge brick fireplace in tonight's episode, that fireplace would have been one of the things that would make me buy that house and of course they ruined it by painting it.   My house has a beautiful natural stone fireplace and I love it,  its one of the reasons I bought the place.  

Why did they paint that pretty brick house?!  Idiots. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3

I  like how they said it was “something different” because they had already bought the house. No, the “something different” was that you didn’t have to pretend that you hadn’t already bought the house. The house came out OK, it was typical Joanna decorating.

I hated the exterior after it was done. It looked like all of the houses around it were brick houses.  Why would the woman, who said she hates brick buy a brick house in a brick house neighborhood?   It hurt to see them cover it up with generic white paint. 

I hate Joanna's decorating.  I don't understand the faux distressed look and I think it just makes things look dirty.  All of the purposely scuffed and scraped paint and the beaten up wood don't look good at all to me. If its naturally like that it can be very nice but the faux stuff looks dirty to me.  

• Love 5

I liked her decorating in the beginning. It's nothing like my style, but it was fun to see something new. Not new anymore. Nothing of here is. Except that Chip went off his meds last season. (I did enjoy the couple with the generous son, but that was more about them.)

• Love 1
On 1/31/2017 at 11:11 PM, Maharincess said:

I hated the exterior after it was done. It looked like all of the houses around it were brick houses.  Why would the woman, who said she hates brick buy a brick house in a brick house neighborhood?   It hurt to see them cover it up with generic white paint. 

I hate Joanna's decorating.  I don't understand the faux distressed look and I think it just makes things look dirty.  All of the purposely scuffed and scraped paint and the beaten up wood don't look good at all to me. If its naturally like that it can be very nice but the faux stuff looks dirty to me.  

Ugly brick exists, and that was UGLY UGLY  brick.  So I think it was so much better painted.  Not all brick is beautiful, not all wood is beautiful.  Paint can cover up the design sins of the past reasonably well.  

You would be surprised at the number of shades of 'white' paint that exists.  That was not "generic" white paint. You really have a bone to pick, don't you?  LOL

• Love 5

I agree about some brick just being ugly. There's a house up the street from my son's house that had a sort of orange brick. They painted it a warm cream color and it looks awesome. 

• Love 2

Does anyone have, or know someone who has 2 kitchen islands?  I've seen this done before but I wonder how it actually works in real life?  I guess it would be nice to have one island solely for prep and cooking, and another to display the food and sit at.

The fireplace was so big!  I can't get over how we see that quite often in these Texas homes.  Do people even use their fireplaces down there?

I watched the first few minutes and fast forward to the reveal like I always do. I knew they were going to paint the brick because how else could they have made a brick house different without imploding it. It looked nice but it stood out more then the other houses because it WAS painted. Why can't brick just be brick? LOL!!! I really liked the inside. It was light and airy even with the massive brick fireplace. I guess I'm okay with the fireplace being painted since it was inside and SO massive. The kitchen was beautiful. The pendants were nice but not my taste. I think they might have been too big. Overall, another great job by Joanna. I know a lot of people don't like old signs & wood boxes repurposed for "anything" but I love the look even though I don't have it in my own house. It looks great staged but it might look junky if you had to live with it. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 2

I really liked this house. It seemed a bit different to Jo's usual decorating. I liked it painted on the outside too as well as the fireplace on the inside. It does seem, this season, that they're trying to branch out a bit from the first few seasons where every house looked like every other house. The house that baffled me the most in past seasons (don't remember which one) was the the barn one with the huge dining room on the bottom floor and the kitchen upstairs. Huh? How many trips would you have had to make from the kitchen down to a dining room to feed 14 or more people? And how many more trips upstairs with all of the dirty dishes? That was ugly and just nuts. 

• Love 1
On 2/2/2017 at 1:42 PM, StrictTime said:

Ugly brick exists, and that was UGLY UGLY  brick.  So I think it was so much better painted.  Not all brick is beautiful, not all wood is beautiful.  Paint can cover up the design sins of the past reasonably well.  

You would be surprised at the number of shades of 'white' paint that exists.  That was not "generic" white paint. You really have a bone to pick, don't you?  LOL

A bone to pick?  No.  I'm giving my opinion which is what we do here. 

And I know there is ugly brick, I just didnt happen to think this brick was ugly at all.  I also know that there are many different shades of white paint. I never said otherwise. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3

And I know there is ugly brick, I just didn't happen to think this brick was ugly at all. 

I didn't think it was ugly either. In fact, my home was built with the very same type brick and I think it's lovely.

• Love 4

I can't believe they renovated a house boat!  They did a very nice job.  My only complaint is that all 4 kids have to sleep intuit one little area.. 

Not much storage either.

I'm guessing he was not going to use it as his primary residence.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, NYGirl said:

I can't believe they renovated a house boat!  They did a very nice job.  My only complaint is that all 4 kids have to sleep intuit one little area.. 

Not much storage either.

I think tiny sleeping spaces and very little storage is the norm for living on a boat. You can't add-on much to add space either, not even on/above the deck (messes up with the boat's balance on the water)

• Love 1

I liked the houseboat redo, though I wasn't thrilled with the really dark outside. No shiplap on the ship, huh? :-)

2 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Not much storage either.

I'm guessing he was not going to use it as his primary residence.

Also, there were boys & girls & they were going to have to sleep together. At some point that is not going to be cool.

My guess is that he's divorced.

• Love 1

A friend lived on a houseboat on the Columbia River and it's something I thought would be fun for awhile.  Jo did a great job meshing her style with the guy's preferences; I especially liked the outside.  What I'm so over of is Chip getting drenched and taking off his clothes.  I was embarrassed for everybody in that segment when Chip was standing there in his shorts (trunks?) holding a straw hat.  

• Love 2

At least all the kids had their own beds.  There's only one boy so if it really becomes a problem he can sleep with Dad or on the couch.  I picked up the divorced vibe too.  it also kind of sounded like it was a second house for the Dad with the "come out here to escape electronics" bit.  I bet the kids are only out there in the summer and random weekends.

The houseboat is fabulous!  

I like the dark color but in Texas it would be so hot...did not see a cooling unit.  I assume they use only ceiling fans so it would be off limits during the summer months as it would turn into an oven.

Don't think it is a primary home.

Chip continues to crack me up!!!

• Love 1

I think it looked nice, but there are elements that can be impractical.

The lack of storage, first and foremost. Outside of the kitchen, I didn't see any. 

The second potential problem in my mind was the open shelving. I don't know much about that particular lake insofar as what kind of activity it sees (speedboats buzzing around) or weather. If that boat sees rough water due to weather or the wakes of other boats, stuff is going to go flying off those shelves. 

And then I think it was missing certain aspects that should have been included. Your yard is a lake, why don't you have a swim ladder or swim deck? 

I also really wish they'd kept that combo washer/dryer. 

• Love 4

The houseboat looked awesome but I don't think the black cladding was a good idea. Not only will it get a lot of heat by the sun, but also by the reflection of the sun on the water. I don't think it was a coincidence that all the other houseboats shown were painted with light colors.

• Love 3

So the houseboat is just anchored in the middle of a lake and not docked?  Every time you want to go to the store, for a walk, or whatever you need a boat?  That's not practical, and you can't get your sewagage tank emptied.  That had to be for show.  Other than the couch shoved right under the stairs when there was headroom on the other side they left empty, this was really nice.  I could easily live in it with the LensCrafters guy as our primary residence.  I am side eying the toilet, though.  I didn't see a water hose for it.  Was that thing a composting,  AKA human litter box toilet?  Nah.  Unh unh. 

• Love 1
On 2/3/2017 at 9:45 AM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Does anyone have, or know someone who has 2 kitchen islands?  I've seen this done before but I wonder how it actually works in real life?  I guess it would be nice to have one island solely for prep and cooking, and another to display the food and sit at.

The fireplace was so big!  I can't get over how we see that quite often in these Texas homes.  Do people even use their fireplaces down there?

They said something about the "mechanical room" behind the fireplace - I suspect the fireplace is large because it also hides some of the mechanical/plumbing/electrical stack. It didn't have to be done that way, but it could. Either that or there is also another fireplace upstairs, which we never saw.

I actually liked Chip worrying over the foundation and then finding out that it was just an unusual style of construction he had never seen before. I think it was genuine because a friendly house visit by your local structural engineer is not something you would pay for unless you had to.

As far as the two island thing, there was an offhand remark about the kitchen being large enough to do videos or food blogging or some such and I think that is exactly what will happen.

Haven't seen the houseboat yet, sounds interesting.

• Love 1

I liked that we saw the bakery this week, they seem to be trying to change up the show a bit, but there's no way that Joanna baked all those cupcakes, I'm just not buying it.

• Love 5

Chip & Joanna transformed an old flower shop into a bakery shop. The shop was located near the silos that they had converted before. They did a nice job and it looked like it would have 30-40 years ago. Very old fashioned, rustic looking and it had a outdoor space which was beautiful. The cupcakes looked amazing and I could eat every single one. The weird thing was I didn't notice a sign on the front of the bakery. I wouldn't have known the name until the end when it partially shown at the end. Of course, it was Magnolia. I'm sure they will drum up a lot of business.

ETA: Apparently, its called The Bakery at the Silos

• Love 2

I found it hilarious that Joanna for a minute actually thought a commercial kitchen could have exposed brick walls and ceiling beams.  And then was disappointed that things like health code and sanitation were stripping the kitchen of all of the "interesting" details.  I'm sure customers would prefer clean, safe, and legal to rustic and rusty.

• Love 4

I am not sure why she could not have her exposed brick walls in the kitchen.  In our town there are multiple places that have such kitchens.  It caught me off guard.  I guess different states have different laws.  

Her bakery looks adorable.  I will stop in one day.  :-)

• Love 1

I would stop in there, too. In the end it's just a bakery. It all depends on the goods. If the cupcakes are good they will come! Granted, every was brand spankin new and nicely lit & filmed. Even, the wrapper on the cupcakes looked amazing. I really like the outdoor space but the view is of a Silo, right? It might be a little trick photography thing where they aren't really as close as I assume they though. 

ETA: Nope! The view is a big ole Silo.

IMG_0134.JPG

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1

My family and I visited Magnolia Market in December. The bakery is called Silos Baking Co. We all tried different treats including cupcakes, muffins and cinnamon rolls. Everything was delicious!

IMG_0573.JPG.3d7af69406e60c2c5dc38e96363d3e1e.JPG

• Love 5

I wonder how long these two will stay married?  In every segment with the 2 of them standing there talking to the camera, she seems like she absolutely cannot stand him.  She looks like she's frequently embarrassed by him, and I've seen more than a few roll eyes from her.  I don't see even a shred of love, from her toward him.

• Love 2

Another thing I noticed is that the kids always say "Yes, Ma'am and Yes Sir" to Chip and Jo.  In a recent episode Jo asked Emmy if she was ready to help find something for the baby's room, and Emmy replied "yes", Jo corrected her to "yes, Ma'am"  In another episode, Chip asked the boys if they had fun, after having the dirt bike race, and the boys replied "yes sir".

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Honey said:

Another thing I noticed is that the kids always say "Yes, Ma'am and Yes Sir" to Chip and Jo.  In a recent episode Jo asked Emmy if she was ready to help find something for the baby's room, and Emmy replied "yes", Jo corrected her to "yes, Ma'am"  In another episode, Chip asked the boys if they had fun, after having the dirt bike race, and the boys replied "yes sir".

I am from Texas and that is how I raised my kids...I thought it was normal lol.

I think Chip and Joanna are very happy together.  I would love a relationship like theirs. Full of humor, hard work and lovable children.

We all see things differently I guess.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Jellybeans said:

I am from Texas and that is how I raised my kids...I thought it was normal lol.

I think Chip and Joanna are very happy together.  I would love a relationship like theirs. Full of humor, hard work and lovable children.

We all see things differently I guess.

Yep, I'm from Texas too, and it is not at all unusual.

• Love 4

"Yes ma'am" and "yes sir" is a southern thing, not just Texas. I remember when I was doing my internship and my "boss" was younger than I was but I still said "yes, ma'am" to show respect. She was from Michigan, and thought it was strange...had to tell her no, not strange, just my upbringing in Virginia. I still like to hear kids say it to show respect.

• Love 10
On 2/2/2017 at 10:37 AM, MrPissyPuppy said:

I don't think glass coffee tables are a very good idea in a playroom.   Or in most houses with toddlers/small children. 

Especially if you've just eaten corn nuts.

• Love 6

My husband and I were both raised in the military and every kid we knew said "Yes, ma'am" and "No, ma'am" We taught our kids to say that also. Now in their forties, they still say it. In fact, I still say it to anyone older than I am. Just seems like nice manners to us.

• Love 4

Whatever episode it was that she was giving him commands as though he was a child was kind of unpleasant. Some couples like that dynamic, but I prefer an adult as my partner.

The bakery was kind of a blah episode for me and seemed enormously self-indulgent, along the lines of "I like baking, so I think I will spend tens of thousands building myself a cute bakery" - although I suspect it was more like "hmm, what would make money here at the Silos Experience? An ice cream shop? I know! Ye Olde Bakeree Shoppe." In a lot of ways I much prefer the earlier episodes, where they were doing just what the opening spiel says: "finding the worst house on the block" and fixing it up.

I think I have hit "peak Gaines" and the magazine, the shop, the silos, the internet presence, the Waco hype (have you looked at the weather page? Eeek), the sign maker, Clint and his shop, etc etc are just too much. The couple from somewhere down in the south (big husband with a beard, not the horrid Nashville couple) apparently got the green light for more episodes, starting in March sometimes, I may have to switch to that.

EDIT: I know I saw a clip about a new show coming to either HGTV or DIY in March about flipping/restoring old homes in the south. Apparently it is NOT the one in Alabama featuring the couple I mentioned.

Edited by WildPlum
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, WildPlum said:

Whatever episode it was that she was giving him commands as though he was a child was kind of unpleasant. Some couples like that dynamic, but I prefer an adult as my partner.

The bakery was kind of a blah episode for me and seemed enormously self-indulgent, along the lines of "I like baking, so I think I will spend tens of thousands building myself a cute bakery" - although I suspect it was more like "hmm, what would make money here at the Silos Experience? An ice cream shop? I know! Ye Olde Bakeree Shoppe." In a lot of ways I much prefer the earlier episodes, where they were doing just what the opening spiel says: "finding the worst house on the block" and fixing it up.

I think I have hit "peak Gaines" and the magazine, the shop, the silos, the internet presence, the Waco hype (have you looked at the weather page? Eeek), the sign maker, Clint and his shop, etc etc are just too much. The couple from somewhere down in the south (big husband with a beard, not the horrid Nashville couple) apparently got the green light for more episodes, starting in March sometimes, I may have to switch to that.

EDIT: I know I saw a clip about a new show coming to either HGTV or DIY in March about flipping/restoring old homes in the south. Apparently it is NOT the one in Alabama featuring the couple I mentioned.

The new show starting in March is "Hometown" - the couple says they restore old homes in a small town in Mississippi - I can't find any info on what small town it is.