Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: French Country in Texas?

I've been watching these.
Usually I like what they do, but the show before last, they had the refrigerator off by itself, where you'd have no close place to sit anything.
I can't see why people don't think of things like this.

Last week, I loved that the guy hated Joanna's kitchen, which stunned her for a second, but he looked really afraid that he'd end up with lots of distressed wood.
It's good that she found out what the couple liked.

• Love 1

I also loved that the guy hated her kitchen.  I actually don't love their house, either, lol.  But I LOVE all the houses that they have done for other people.  So at least she is good at matching people's tastes.  

• Love 2

I like this show because the couple are respectful of each other.  He's a bit goofy and funny and she has a very good eye for design and everything doesn't look the same.  

• Love 4

I LOVE this show!  I love Chip and Joanna's relationship and the things they say to each other.  The other night she asked him..eww those socks..when's the last time you changed them?  I laughed so much.  It was so different for a TV show.  They are very respectful towards each other and they do beautiful work.

I like when we get to see the kids too

I like seeing the farmhouse as it is being renovated.

• Love 2

I like the show and the couple, especially the lack of drama in the episodes. I also like to see them with their kids. I do have a question, though. Are the girls ever taken with the dad to the workshop and are the boys ever allowed to help mom? I watched the marathon today since it's too hot to do anything and never saw this once. Seems limiting the kids and putting them in stereotypical roles. JMO

• Love 1

I like the show, too.  It's obvious that they understand, respect, and appreciate each other.  There's no fake drama.

Isn't it interesting how much they can do with the budgets they have, in their area, as opposed to how much renovations cost in other areas of the country?

I like Joanna's decorating style, but I have noticed that she does tend to repeat some elements such as white subway tile with dark grout, and a huge over-sized clock on a wall somewhere.  I always wonder if people keep those decorative old books that she uses for accent pieces?

• Love 2

They are a cute couple & they do pretty amazing work...and  its all pretty low-key.

Loved the episode where she gave him a jeep for his birthday (39th or 40th..I forget).He was so excited he almost backed into her!! He felt so bad & she was cool with it. I enjoy watching them play off each other in a fun & positive way....much better than all the fake drama of LIOLI.

• Love 1
(edited)

I appreciate that they don't automatically tear out every kitchen. The difference made with paint is amazing, even on what I would consider really fugly cabinets.

I even like their big rolling mural reveal at the end, because I get to really remember what the house used to look like.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 5

I could live without the little words and sayings she posts on everyone's walls. Not my style. She's a very one note designer, and all of her homes look the same, but nice.

• Love 4
(edited)

"Today is good day for a good day".  Ugh.  If it were on my wall I'd just reduce it to "Today is a day".  That's just as deep.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Love 12
She's a very one note designer, and all of her homes look the same, but nice.

Do you think that's a limitation of hers, or is it situational? The type of houses they work on don't really allow much scope to go ultra modern, Asian, Art Deco, European, etc. I haven't seen every episode, but she has steered clear of Western style, which I guess could be apt.

• Love 1

On the house with the bee damage, when they saw the damage inside too they should have checked further.
The shows all consider inside water damage as potentially coming from outside, yet he brushed it off, and then seemed surpised.

This couple is very familiar. They had to have been on another show in the recent past.  If not as hosts, perhaps as homeowners or prospective buyers?

I like most of what she does with the houses, but the big letter/numbers and sayings on the wall are a bit much.  

I wonder if they have the homes inspected prior to purchase and then just act surprised when problems appear?

• Love 2

I wonder if they have the homes inspected prior to purchase and then just act surprised when problems appear?

Probably, then they can do the "dramatic" phone call when they break the bad news to the homeowners.

I also think they must show the couples more than three houses, right?

I really liked this house, with the built-ins and I think there was a curved or oval room, too.

After they removed the trees, the front of house showed its really strange design, and I wondered if all that facade was original.

I wish they'd show the sunporch in the reveal.  I hope they had money to screen it.

And surely they replaced all the knob & tube you saw when Chip was in the attic crawl space. 

I do like their relationship.  But I get a religious vibe - between the church mentioned in one show to all the home schooling that seems to go on.  I don't know if they are fundies but wouldn't be surprised if their clients belonged to the same church.

How does the renovation budget work?  Is it a home improvement loan?  Do Chip & Joanna buy the home, fix it up and then resell to their clients?

I loved the baby goats.

• Love 1
After they removed the trees, the front of house showed its really strange design, and I wondered if all that facade was original.

It was very odd, with the stucco arches pasted onto one side of a clapboard house. I don't think they did screen the porch. The neighborhood looked like it had some industrial buildings on it, as well. I guess that's to be expected in the price range they were looking at. Was there a new bathroom off the office?

I guess they only partially renovate each house since the reveal only shows a few rooms. With this particular house, were the bedrooms and entire upstairs still falling apart? And what about the furniture and accessories? Are those part of the renovation budget? A person wonders.

I agree that the exterior style of the house looked sort of like southwest meets Victorian, but I loved the porches.  Screening one of them would be a priority for me.  Loved the living room with th built ins and the fireplace.  Having remodeled 3 houses, I can tell you that the budget is always going to be exceeded because of unforeseen problems or a decision to go ahead and fix something that will be a problem down the road.  I would like to know if the furniture is included in the remodel or is it just for staging and reveal purposes.

I thought she offered screening the side porch as an extra, so I hoped the sunporch was included.
From what they say, the house purchasing is all done by the clients, and I guess they give Chip & Joanna the rehab money.
I'd like to know about the furnishings too.  Some items Joanna's obviously bought or made for the clients, but I don't know about all of it.

It was very odd, with the stucco arches pasted onto one side of a clapboard house. I don't think they did screen the porch. The neighborhood looked like it had some industrial buildings on it, as well. I guess that's to be expected in the price range they were looking at. Was there a new bathroom off the office?

I guess they only partially renovate each house since the reveal only shows a few rooms. With this particular house, were the bedrooms and entire upstairs still falling apart? And what about the furniture and accessories? Are those part of the renovation budget? A person wonders.

I was wondering about the other rooms, too, especially bedrooms and baths upstairs.  I wish that they had shown them, if they had been renovated.  If not, there was still much work to be done on that house, I'm afraid.

(edited)

I caught this show this morning for the first time, and kind of like it.  I definitely like it better than those other renovation/flip-type shows, where the hosts all seem to have such drama, crises and spend a lot of time yelling at each other.  I think that some of the 'unexpected' problems are possibly scripted and are not unknown, but I find the hosts likable.  I've only seen three episodes, but I really loved the house with the atrium.  When I saw it beforehand, I hated the whole place (I never liked houses with those atriums in them--they always reminded me of when every office building that was built during the 1970s (?) had an atrium in it--usually with a 'floor' made of crushed white rock.  Yuck!).  However, I loved what they did with the atrium at the end and found the house to be totally livable.  I agree with other posters that the designer (Jo?) doesn't seem to have a big range of ideas when it comes to design (lots of distressed wood, for example), but I like the way she mixes the furniture styles.

Oh, and I love those baby goats!  Adorable!

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 1

I really like the couple and the clients  who they design and renovate for.  Unlike LOVE IT OR LIST IT, etc. I am not constantly eye rolling through the episodes. I hope this show lasts a while.

• Love 3

I loved the house they did for the returning missionaries and the clients seemed so nice too, especially the grown kids trying so hard to get it right for their folks. I am not sure how much they will use that separate room they made out the old garage, but it was cute.

I really like the couple and the clients  who they design and renovate for.  Unlike LOVE IT OR LIST IT, etc. I am not constantly eye rolling through the episodes. I hope this show lasts a while.

This is another big reason why I like this show.  I'm so sick of the clients on all of these other shows who expect everything in their house no matter their budget or the cost.  And then the show just feeds their selfishness by giving it to them (Property Brothers anyone?).  I like that these are seemingly regular people searching for a decent house in their budget, and Chip and Joanna give them what still ends up being a beautiful but reasonable home.  We don't see the clients constantly coming back and saying, "Oh, by the way, we MUST have this.  And we want this.  We don't care the cost.  Find a way!  We want want want want want."

• Love 4

I like that when they find a structural or utility problem and they call the customer about it, they don't play the "we're going to have to cut some other design element out of the budget", and that the prices they quote for the fixes seem reasonable.  I also like that their customers trust them enough to give them the okay right over the phone.

• Love 3
(edited)

I do like their relationship.  But I get a religious vibe - between the church mentioned in one show to all the home schooling that seems to go on.  I don't know if they are fundies but wouldn't be surprised if their clients belonged to the same church.

How does the renovation budget work?  Is it a home improvement loan?  Do Chip & Joanna buy the home, fix it up and then resell to their clients?

I loved the baby goats.

I do think they are fundies - Google leads me to believe they belong to this church:

http://recoveringzealot.blogspot.com/2010/01/i-hate-antioch-community-church-and.html

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/rock-god/Content?oid=770463

I've also noticed the home-schooling aspect and the strict gender roles that seem to be reinforced in the family. And I have to say I HATE Joanna Gaines's taste. All that distressed metal and chipped wood just looks dirty to me, like you are walking into a room that you will leave needing a tetanus shot. Plus the big words on the walls -- just no.

All that said, I still really enjoy the show - even as a gay atheist who would bar the door and set my dog on her if Joanna Gaines came and offered to re-do my house for free. They seem like a very sweet, loving, and positive couple -- and I get the same vibe from a lot of their clients. And I love their cute kids and animals. A refreshing change from the unpleasant, bickering, snobby folks on shows like Househunters.

ETA: Have we ever seen an unmarried couple as clients on this show? And I know we haven't seen a gay couple, and will be shocked if we do.

Edited by Peanutbuttercup
  • Love 5

I do think they are fundies - Google leads me to believe they belong to this church:

http://recoveringzealot.blogspot.com/2010/01/i-hate-antioch-community-church-and.html

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/rock-god/Content?oid=770463

I've also noticed the home-schooling aspect and the strict gender roles that seem to be reinforced in the family. And I have to say I HATE Joanna Gaines's taste. All that distressed metal and chipped wood just looks dirty to me, like you are walking into a room that you will leave needing a tetanus shot. Plus the big words on the walls -- just no.

All that said, I still really enjoy the show - even as a gay atheist who would bar the door and set my dog on her if Joanna Gaines came and offered to re-do my house for free. They seem like a very sweet, loving, and positive couple -- and I get the same vibe from a lot of their clients. And I love their cute kids and animals. A refreshing change from the unpleasant, bickering, snobby folks on shows like Househunters.

ETA: Have we ever seen an unmarried couple as clients on this show? And I know we haven't seen a gay couple, and will be shocked if we do.

Good job!

Yea, I don't mind if they are fundies as long as they don't preach.  I'm not into the home schooling for the social or education aspect.  I don't think Joanna is very bright and Chip doesn't seem like he is either.  But they seem like lovely people.

Rustic country and shabby chic are not decor that will be in my home. 

I do enjoy the lack of bickering and staged conflict.  I'd hope that there are home inspections done and the 'discoveries' are re-created for our viewing pleasure.  If not, well, then get an inspection peeps!

• Love 1
(edited)

Actually, I'm pretty sure only that one family wanted to home school their kids, not Joanna and Chip.  There was one episode where one of the daughters showed Joanna that she got a good grade on her spelling test.  And when the boys were helping clean up the trees, I think there was a reference or hint that made me think they were off from school for winter break (or some sort of break, but they seemed like it was cold in Texas).

Peanutbuttercup, I haven't seen couples like you described, but there was an interracial couple, which I think some religious groups have issues with.  I don't know anything about the Fundies.

I don't like what Joanna has done with their own farm, but I've loved pretty much everything she has done for all of the clients.  The French country house looked a little different to me, maybe because that family had a specific style request in mind.  My guess is that a lot of decorators have kind of their own style that is obvious across different projects, like artists.  We're just used to shows like Property Brothers, where it is actually a different designer each time and they just pretend Jonathan did the designs (according to what I had read at the old TWOP).

Edited by VMepicgrl
  • Love 1

It is such a relief to find a show with people who are relatable…not just the hosts, but the clients as well. I was kind of wondering if they were a little religious and have been worried it's going to come up, somehow, but it hasn't so far. I like her design; it's casual and funky. I love letters and words, too, but I draw the line at inspirational quotes. Just not me. I am always pleased when I find a show I haven't seen yet. I hope they stick around for a long time. Longer than obnoxious House Hunters. Anyway, I'll keep watching. I think they're adorable.

• Love 2

Her style isn't mine at all and I wouldn't do shabby chic or country anything in my home, but I still like to catch this show when I come across it.

As far as homeschooling, I recently checked out their website and ended up skimming through Joanna's blog and saw this post from February:

For instance, I have noticed lately a lot of families are homeschooling. I have seen formal dining spaces turn into creative classrooms for their kiddos. Large tables for workspaces, bookshelves, large world maps, and worn in chalkboards are the key pieces used in these spaces. Many people wonder if I walk in these spaces and cringe, and the answer is no! I actually get very inspired by them. As a decorator, nothing makes my heart happier when a common space is used in an uncommon way. I am not currently homeschooling but I did want to create an inspiring space in the farmhouse for my kiddos to study and do their artwork- unlike the rest of my house, this space is full of color and texture because it is what inspires them. I even set up a coffee bar for them so they feel like they are in a coffee shop when they study.

By the way, she just posted a Q& A post a few days ago and said that Season 2 premieres in January. They're currently working on the homes and filming the episodes.

(edited)

Thank dog she isn't homeschooling.  She barely seems brighter than the walking uterus.  Although 'not currently' does make me wonder.

Just saw an episode where the wife kept going on about Texas charm and Austin (?) brick.  They were a married couple living in a hotel that was returning to Texas.  They had 3 kids.  Of course the decor included big letters and words spelled out.  One semi surprising thing was they chose the house I would have chosen - one that didn't need a lot of renovation but could use a refresh.  There was a wall when you entered the house that separated the foyer from the living spaces.  On the reverse side of the wall was a huge shelving unit.  They tore that out.  Later Joanna asks the couple if they'd like to spend a couple thou building a wall unit in the den.  Um, how about re-purposing what they had?

I do like how they don't smash everything to bits like House Crashers and the flipping shows on A&E.

Edited by Lola16
  • Love 1

It's kind of uncomfortable how she brings clients to her own home to show them some design element, then asks, "Would you like this in your home too?" What are they supposed to say? Then they're stuck with some distressed wood dining room table because they're too polite to say they think hers is ugly.

• Love 1

Maya, you have to go back and catch the earlier show where this happened.
The husband took one look at her kitchen and got this stricken look, and  said that while it looked fine for her, it really wasn't what they wanted at all.
And she was fine with that, and amused by the incident.

• Love 1

Maya, you have to go back and catch the earlier show where this happened.

The husband took one look at her kitchen and got this stricken look, and  said that while it looked fine for her, it really wasn't what they wanted at all.

And she was fine with that, and amused by the incident.

I watched it yesterday! LOL. He came across as kind of an ass in general, but good for him for speaking up. Although ironically, their house was an actual farmhouse, where Joanna's décor would be appropriate for once.

Funny how Chip and Joanna went to Ace Hardware (product placement, anyone?) to buy paint, then came out holding two small, light-looking paper bags which could not possibly be cans of paint.

I adore this show!  I especially love Chip, I think he's an absolute hoot, and I love the fact that Joanna doesn't roll her eyes at his sometimes cheesy antics.  They appear to be nice, good-hearted people, and the drama is an absolute minimum!

I really love the table guy they use, and I loved the transformation of the home they did for him.  What a 180!

I think my favorite home was an old, cozy little Victorian with massively high ceilings.  Or the giant Victorian that looked like a haunted house.  I totally would have picked that house, too.  I like elements of Joanna's style-although I do like some rustic pieces, I prefer them mixed with other furniture or accessories that soften them up a little.  I am also not a fan of "inspirational" sayings, or even massive letters on the walls.  I'm also not a fan of signs that scream "Coffee!" or "Wine!" at me.  Lots of people like coffee and wine, you are not special.

This show is dangerous for me, however, as it's making me want to buy up all of the adorable little Tudors, Victorians, and Craftsman bungalows in my city and renovate them!

• Love 4

I don't particularly like the words on walls accessorizing, but they're easy to replace and it is a way to fill up a blank space fairly cheaply. Joanna doesn't really have the budget for art.

• Love 1

I am glad they are making a second season. This show is a nice palate cleanser for me when all those nasty people on some of the other HGTV shows get too much for me.

I am always shocked by how low the cost of these houses are they are renovating for their clients. I am used to California home prices.

• Love 6

I saw this show for the first time yesterday, and I'd probably watch it again, but the continuity was confusing. Maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention. This was the episode with the "ghost house." It looked good at the end but there were couple of moments that were head-scratching. One was that painting that large house wasn't mentioned in the budget. Of course, the reveal showed the house and the trim nicely painted. Another was when the bump out for the new upstairs bathroom was abandoned. It was, right? I had to laugh when Chip and Joanna spent time puzzling over an outcropping in the old kitchen. What could it be? An old chimney, I shouted at my TV. Only one way to find out. Take a hammer to it. Brick! We have to get rid of this brick! It runs all the way up through the third floor! Yes. Because it's a chimney, experienced flippers. You knew that. 

I watched this show after the one with the tattooed biker pastor and his wife in Waco who were doing a similar shabby chic reno on an old farmhouse for their family. I understand budget, but this is just not a look I like. 

• Love 1

Fans of this show might want to check out My Big Family Renovation, which has some similarities. Another large, uber-Christian, Texas based family, but this time they are working on their own house, not doing it for clients likes the Gaineses. From what they showed of the interior of the current home, their decorating taste is very similar to Joanna's.

And once again, even though I am leery of uber-religious types from conservative parts of the country, this family seems very likeable.

http://jenhatmaker.com/

http://brandonhatmaker.com/

I saw this show for the first time yesterday, and I'd probably watch it again, but the continuity was confusing. Maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention. This was the episode with the "ghost house." It looked good at the end but there were couple of moments that were head-scratching. One was that painting that large house wasn't mentioned in the budget. Of course, the reveal showed the house and the trim nicely painted. Another was when the bump out for the new upstairs bathroom was abandoned. It was, right? I had to laugh when Chip and Joanna spent time puzzling over an outcropping in the old kitchen. What could it be? An old chimney, I shouted at my TV. Only one way to find out. Take a hammer to it. Brick! We have to get rid of this brick! It runs all the way up through the third floor! Yes. Because it's a chimney, experienced flippers. You knew that. 

I watched this show after the one with the tattooed biker pastor and his wife in Waco who were doing a similar shabby chic reno on an old farmhouse for their family. I understand budget, but this is just not a look I like. 

I talk out loud to my TV, too.  I said the same thing about the chimney.  It is not good to sell your viewers short.  I dislike the shabby chic French Country look, a lot.  A WHOLE LOT! 

This style of decor is contrived, tortured and artificial.  I have yet to see a real French country house with a rusty bicycle on the wall.  Nor have I seen them sand the edges of their white painted furniture.  Or display a rusty kitchen scale on their dining room buffet.  Okay, I will stop now.  I could go on for pages!

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

I had this on all day yesterday in the background.  Their wood craftman had a house done by them too.  Did he hire them for their full out reno and then they liked him and hired him for future projects? Or was he always their "wood guy"?

I like the show; I like her style alot.  I would think that people who hire her, know her style and like her style.  I don't think if you are looking for a minimalist stark contemporary look, you would hire her, you'd hire someone known for that particular style.. 

PS - Who cares what religion they are?  SMDH

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Love 5

I was on vacation from work last week, spent too much time binge-watching HGTV, and found this show for the first time (when I turn on HGTV at night, it's usually showing some version of "House Hunters". Sigh.) I'm a part-time interior design student, and really enjoy shows like this that aren't overly full of manufactured drama or dealing with multimillion-dollar homes that my potential client base could never afford. The dynamic between Chip and Joanna is refreshing, and I was excited to see that Joanna uses SketchUp for her client presentations, like I do in class.

With that said, one of the episodes my mother and I watched featured the couple who was moving back to Texas and had lived in a hotel for months. The reno looked great, but my mother and I were mystified by one thing: did the family own a television? We couldn't see a TV in either the living room or the den. My mother was also horrified by the lockers-as-credenza unit in the den, but I was OK with it as a nod to the couple's teenaged children (it looked like something from the PB Teen catalog).

• Love 1