Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: French Country in Texas?

When  I was 10 years old we moved from California to El Paso, Texas. On my first day in school there the teacher asked me a question and I answered, "yeah." She very quietly said, "When you speak to me you say, "yes, Ma'am."

That is why I was so surprised to hear some of the terms (bucks, guys) used by Chip and Joanna. Maybe things have changed, or they didn't grow up in Texas. Or it could be producer driven to add folksieness, which is just wrong.

• Love 1

I grew up in PA and spent my Freshman year of college in Arkansas. My female friends from the South kept asking me why I referred to everyone, male and female, as "guys". It's just the way we talked at home, seemed natural to me. So hearing it on this show is not in the least bit out of place to my ears.

I really enjoy this show. I think for a staged reno show, it's well done.

I'm from PA too, & now have lived in the south for 20 years, 15 of them in Texas. I still say guys, but it's mixed with y'all.  I don't think Chip is being inauthentic. Yes, college influences us, but so do our parents, our neighbors, and where we live later. He doesn't sound like he's from Hee Haw, he sounds like he's from Texas.

It always bothers me when actors try to do Texas accents but sound like they're doing Alabama, etc. It's a light accent, but does have certain colloquialisms. I feel the same way when actors substitute a New York accent for Philadelphia. :)

• Love 4

If Chip & JoJo were doing their show from Chicago...it would be 'youse guys'

I think "youse guys" is a Philly/East Coast-ism, not a Chicago one.  Chicago has a hard "A" accent .  Like a milder but more forceful Wisconsin/Minnesota accent.

Philly says "youze" without the guys. The guys is the midwest addition.

I grew up near Philly and heard "yous guys" fairly often. And I just heard it when I visited there over Christmas. I've lived in Ohio for a while now, and have never heard it here. 

• Love 1

Agree, the use of "guys" was on steroids that last episode.  Can't recall that they overused it nearly as much in the first season.  Makes me wonder if tptb stepped up their production schedule, trying to strike while the iron's hot and get new episodes in the can.

These shows typically film 4-6 episodes simultaneously, in various stages of completion so when they use "guys" instead of the homeowners' names, they may reduce their error rate and subsequent need for retakes.  Too bad they don't have an intern or production assistant to help them with their lines, keeping everyone straight. 

BTW, I have no idea and am simply speculating.  As human beings, we all love hearing the sound of our own names so when someone uses those general terms, it sounds as if they couldn't take the time to learn the participants' names - to me, anyway. 

It also reminds us that not all of their homeowners are personal friends or acquaintances from Waco.  Not that they said that or even implied it but they do attempt to keep it folksy, IMHO.

I'll second the suggestion of fewer farm animals and Chip/Jo family scenes.  Would prefer they stick to the renos but that's just my preference.

ETA:  Thought I heard Chip say "square-feet", instead of "foot", at least a couple of times during the last episode so we may notice a change, going forward.

Edited by aguabella

You should also drink every time there is a shot of a random farm animal.

I really love the work that carpenter does for them.  The table and benches for the back patio were really great.  I also like how he dumpster dives at times, although I really wish Chip would address saving lumber with his crew-at least have them put it next to the dumpster until the carpenter can pick through it.  I'm always terrified he's going to get a rusty nail through his foot when he's in there.

Had this same thought about the dumpster diving but tptb won't make that change, IMHO.  So much more drama, seeing him pick through the trash, lol.

I like this show for its low-key quality, even though Joanna's style is a bit too country/shabby chic for me.

Their supposed lack of staged "drama" got ruined for me last night though, when Chip claimed that adding GFCI outlets in the kitchen would cost $1,000 (cue the phone call to the owners).  GFCI outlets cost about $10 and one doesn't need 10 of them, as Chip claimed.

Now I'm questioning ALL their claims of the cost of remodeling.

Agree, the GFCI is an extremely easy, inexpensive, DIY fix.  Just another reminder that this is still reality television, i.e. not real and if they need to, they'll create drama!  Or, if tptb believe they need to, that is ... haha     JMHO

Well, I am glad to have the show back. I know it's just as staged as all the other shows on HGTV but I find the positive tone lovely to watch. No whiny and entitled clients and no snooty and put-upon designers.

As for Chips goofiness - I would guess he is probably a bit goofy in real life but they make him extra goofy for the show.

Maybe one day Joanna will get to do a different kind of design. I would like to see her do a Mid-century Modern kind of home - though I assume those kind of homes are probably rare in the area the show is filmed in.

Agree, it'd be nice to see Jo do a different style.  Can't remember her background, however - not sure if int. design was simply something she fell into b/c of her shop or ...?  So, I'm not sure how much range she has.

That said, anytime you hire a designer, it's typical to review their portfolio and they usually have their style.  Best, IMHO, to hire someone who's in synch with your own style. 

Yes, they're probably playing up the Chip goofy routine.  They can tone that down, too, IMHO.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2

When  I was 10 years old we moved from California to El Paso, Texas. On my first day in school there the teacher asked me a question and I answered, "yeah." She very quietly said, "When you speak to me you say, "yes, Ma'am."

I'll stick my neck out and say that few children were taught to respond to adults with "yeah" growing up, so that wouldn't have flown in many homes all across America. Kids are taught the proper way to address adults; when they become adults themselves, they frequently don't say "Yes, Mrs. Smith" or "No, ma'am" anymore. But in some regions you still hear that a lot.

ETA:  Thought I heard Chip say "square-feet", instead of "foot", at least a couple of times during the last episode so we may notice a change, going forward.

Yes! I noticed that, too. Saying "you'ns, y'all, guys, youse" etc. is a regional thing, it's an informal way to address people. How can people harp on this petty non-offense when proper grammar is at stake and is truly a reflection of education?

• Love 1

I absolutely loved the house in tonight's new episode.  It was the couple with the 7 children.  The wife was a little over the top in her delight but they seemed nice enough.  I loved that it was on the lake and the best part was that giant table Clint made for the carport.  I'd spend all my days out there. 

• Love 1

I'll stick my neck out and say that few children were taught to respond to adults with "yeah" growing up, so that wouldn't have flown in many homes all across America. Kids are taught the proper way to address adults; when they become adults themselves, they frequently don't say "Yes, Mrs. Smith" or "No, ma'am" anymore. But in some regions you still hear that a lot.

Yes! I noticed that, too. Saying "you'ns, y'all, guys, youse" etc. is a regional thing, it's an informal way to address people. How can people harp on this petty non-offense when proper grammar is at stake and is truly a reflection of education?

I'd say I was a pretty polite kid, but I don't think it was expected that we respond that way to every question in school. Sometimes you just answered, "Yes" or "No" and probably "Yeah" slipped in. But there were definitely times where you addressed the teacher, and of course you said Mr. or Mrs. "Ma'am" is definitely a southern thing. We might use it with women who were definitely older, but the south seems to use it with any woman. I have inched my way a little south these days, and it freaks me out when people call me, "Ma'am."

Regarding the second part, I'm also kind of a grammar nut. However, I have learned that there are some regional differences that impact grammar as well. When I went to college in central PA, I discovered that people from central and western PA tend to say things like, "That needs washed." It is so common it was in a textbook I had related to assessment of children, and my English professor warned students not to write that way in their papers. It looks like someone else wrote above that the square foot thing is common in Texas, but that I would not know. So I guess even well-educated people might say those things if they were exposed to it from peers and family growing up. They should be able to know when to use proper grammar and when they can be more relaxed, though. Still bugs me. :-)

I liked the table in the carport, but thought it was too big. How many times would you fill that, even with 7 kids? It is a nice place to sit but I was wondering why they didn't leave room for more conventional and comfortable patio seating -- some nice relaxing chairs with backs.

• Love 1

I've lived in Colorado and Arizona mostly.  "Yeah" from kids (in school or out) and "you guys" are so common I don't even hear Joanna say "you guys".  I notice most people don't use names when they're addressing people in real life, anyway.  Like Chip and Jo, they'll refer to the Smiths or Rick and Molly or whatever in their absence but in their presence, it seems like it's usually "What do you guys think of this table?" or something like that.  "What do you think of this table" is unclear which of the couple is being asked.  "Rick and Molly, what do you think of this table?" is awkward and long in a conversational setting.  

It looks like Chip and Joanna have run out of "real" fixer-uppers.

The last few episodes have featured houses that were quite liveable the way they were, except for some unfortunate decorating choices.  There have been none of the near tear-downs that were featured in the first season.

I liked the table in the carport, but thought it was too big. How many times would you fill that, even with 7 kids? 

The kids looked college aged, so I'm guessing they figure that they bring along girl/boy friends in the future and perhaps family later.  Then the space will be useful.  

• Love 2

I've lived in Colorado and Arizona mostly.  "Yeah" from kids (in school or out) and "you guys" are so common I don't even hear Joanna say "you guys".  I notice most people don't use names when they're addressing people in real life, anyway.  Like Chip and Jo, they'll refer to the Smiths or Rick and Molly or whatever in their absence but in their presence, it seems like it's usually "What do you guys think of this table?" or something like that.  "What do you think of this table" is unclear which of the couple is being asked.  "Rick and Molly, what do you think of this table?" is awkward and long in a conversational setting.  

We don't realize it, but constantly referring to people who are in front of you by their names is a bad writers' trope. It's often a giveaway of a new writer (both books or screenwriter) to repeatedly use names. Listen to yourself sometime, and notice how little you use your significant other's name, or child's name, unless you're calling to them or differentiating between them: "Susie, you get the dog, Jimmy, take the trash out." There's just no reason to keep using someone's name in the course of normal conversation - they know it, you know it, it's redundant. 

The use of something like "y'all" or "you guys" or "yuns/you'uns" (Appalachians) is more of a filler or discourse marker - sort of like a personalized "um" or "So,..." or "Well..." These things are trained out of public speakers, so in a way, it's almost refreshing that Chip and Joanna h ave them, because it means they haven't been trained that much yet. 

Alison Victoria on Kitchen Crashers used "you guys...." frequently when she started, but has tapered off. (I only know this because the husband noticed it - he's a big fan :D) 

Listen to different hosts now, and you'll start noticing their particular filler or discourse marker. I apologize in advance, because once you start noticing them, you won't be able to stop. :D 

• Love 1

Lifelong Texan here. Unless they are transplants, very few people in this area say "you guys."  I think Chip & Jo are (for some reason) trying to avoid the ubiquitous "Y'all." And even I know the plural of you guys is you guys, not you guyses. And that "2000 square foot" thing bothers me too. The plural of foot is feet. As for the 16' dining table, and someone upthread saying "they'd spend all day out there"... no you wouldn't. Today, January 28, our high was 79 degrees. Nice, in January. Not so nice when it is 85 degrees by 10am in May. Forget June, July and August unless it's early/late in the day.

Having made all these complaints, I do like Fixer Upper and am happy to see people from Texas that aren't portrayed as buffoons. Uh, except for that thing Chip does, showing his stomach repeatedly. Not cute, Chip!

• Love 6

In the latest episode, they turned the garage into a bunk room and then put a 16' table in the triple carport.  Where do they plan to park the cars?  I think a more practical solution for outdoor seating would have been to make two 8' tables which could be moved by a couple or 3 people and allow parking in the carport.  That 16' table took a crew to move and seems a bit impractical.  Maybe they plan to use the 7 children to move the table out of the way to allow parking when the table isn't being used.  I'm from south Louisiana and agree with CN42 about the amount of time that table can be used during the year.  I did like the redesign of the large original master bath by turning it into two bathrooms.  

• Love 2

The Chip goofiness has been amped up this season and is VERY annoying.  I'm almost at the point of not watching.  Last season it was endearing..now it's ridiculous

Little behind on viewing their episodes so just saw the episode with the new home builder.  The goofiness seemed to be on steroids.  They barely showed the 3 homes during their tours.  In the last one, IIRC, they walked in  the mbr but no other bedrooms and didn't show the en suite.  Each home felt like an introduction to the Chip Gaines' comedy hour.  When he stripped down and jumped in the pool, that did it.  Hoping that image doesn't stay in my head, lol.

Anyone surprised they'd purchased the first home?  Or, the adjacent lot? 

WRT the episode's drama, it felt ridiculous.  No way was that couple going to accept the old kitchen.  Couldn't believe it when Jo pitched only a partial gut of that kitchen.  I'm sorry but a new home builder?  Uh, no, just no. 

And the exterior wall?  That came off as a pre-arranged Clint Harp project.  (Nice table, BTW.)  Anyone wonder if they demo'd that wall after the episode and replaced it with the wall seen in Clint's shop? 

The couple did far more work on the home but naturally, we only saw the 30K show portion.  Would have enjoyed seeing more of the real estate and hearing the reno details instead of the Chip goofy routine.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 3

I'd say I was a pretty polite kid, but I don't think it was expected that we respond that way to every question in school. Sometimes you just answered, "Yes" or "No" and probably "Yeah" slipped in. But there were definitely times where you addressed the teacher, and of course you said Mr. or Mrs. "Ma'am" is definitely a southern thing. We might use it with women who were definitely older, but the south seems to use it with any woman. I have inched my way a little south these days, and it freaks me out when people call me, "Ma'am."

Regarding the second part, I'm also kind of a grammar nut. However, I have learned that there are some regional differences that impact grammar as well. When I went to college in central PA, I discovered that people from central and western PA tend to say things like, "That needs washed." It is so common it was in a textbook I had related to assessment of children, and my English professor warned students not to write that way in their papers. It looks like someone else wrote above that the square foot thing is common in Texas, but that I would not know. So I guess even well-educated people might say those things if they were exposed to it from peers and family growing up. They should be able to know when to use proper grammar and when they can be more relaxed, though. Still bugs me. :-)

That's called "Pittsburgh English"  Wiki has a whole column about it.  It needs read.  :)

• Love 1

I was a pretty polite kid as well (my Navy father insisted upon being referred to as "Yes, sir, Master Chief, sir"), but school teachers and the school environment in California were a lot more casual than in Texas during the 1950s.

In Louisiana (and throughout the South) children often call adults by their first name, preceded by "Miss" or "Mister"--for instance I'm Miss Lee and my husband is Mister Dennis.

• Love 2

I think a more practical solution for outdoor seating would have been to make two 8' tables which could be moved by a couple or 3 people and allow parking in the carport.

That was my thought, except I was going to split it into 3 tables.

I was thinking of when it needs painting, or washing down underneath (things nesting there, etc).

I thought they might have sprung to build another garage.

• Love 1

I noticed tonight that the y'alls came out when a "can we go over budget" phone call got made. So now I couldn't help but wonder what was up with all of the bedrooms and bathrooms in the growing family's house. And Jo's carpenter custom made those cute bar chairs to match the mantle, but all I could think when Jo was talking about them is that she was doing a nice job of selling them!

I like these guys, sts, but there was an awful lot of filler shtick, so I'm hoping that's not how the whole season is going to go.

• Love 2

The weird speech thing that seems forced to me is Joanna always addressing Clint by name multiple times.  I feel like he's got that in his contract-- his name must be visible on his shirt in each episode and said aloud at least twice.  "Hi, CLINT, I have a project for you."  "Thanks, CLINT HARP!  Excellent table!"  

His stuff looks like things anyone with a saw and a hammer could build, and a dumpster of old wood.  But good for him for marketing, I guess.  

What's beginning to bother me about this formula is that so much of it is made up.  The first half is fiction.  Two of those homes aren't under consideration and one is already in escrow.  And the last decorating segment is also fiction, I think.  The show must keep a warehouse of rustic decor they fill the house with for the reveal, then they move it all out and the homeowners actual belongings get moved in.  Though I imagine they can purchase items from the prop house.  

I think it was mentioned that the stuff is from Joanna's store and the couple can choose to buy pieces or not.  Joanna mentioned this on her blog.  That's why a lot of the pieces are the same

I just watched a season 1 re-run (I think, it was the 16-seat carport table one) and they put in a giant shed for her inventory for 'online orders'.  Does she sell stuff off her blog, too?  Never mind-- I just went and looked and she does.  Wow, that pokey metal coffee cup holder I've been making fun of is $128.  It's all pretty pricey, for rustic.  I guess I'm used to Marshalls' prices, though.  

http://shop.magnoliahomes.net/collections/all

Well, good for her if she can get those prices (I'm pretty sure I've seen some of that--or close to it--at both Marshall's and Home Goods). I guess I should have figured that the homeowners' $$ didn't extend to her decorating, but it's such a relief not to see holy trinity entitled asses wandering through homes with their stink faces on that I put away my critical hat. ETA: Occasionally.

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 2

At first I watched this show because of Joanna's unusual beauty.  She really is different  and very good looking.  I have seen maybe 3 episodes.  What turned me off was Joanna's so called impeccable style.  Really, shabby chic, which has been done for 25 years.  It is very easy to do and not original.  All the interiors look the same.  Greenish walls, white furniture, big rusty pieces on the walls.  There is no edge to her decorating.  It does not look like a man would live there.  My favorite designer is Thom Filicia of the old Queer Eye for the Straight Guy show.  He would take the owners furniture and stuff and magically transform it into just great rooms.  And he had a charming anxious look at the reveal to see if the owner liked what he did.  Chip and Joanna expect the owners to just love everything as though it is their due.  Well, none of the furniture or décor is the owner's things.  It is all off a showroom.  You can go buy new furniture, paint the walls and anyone's home would look good.  If you have seen one episode of fixer upper, you've seen them all.

• Love 2

One thing that bothers me is that Joanna covers the walls with things from her shop that the homeowners may not like or want to pay for. When the reveal is over, there are holes in the walls that will need to be repaired or covered up. Anyone who's touched up paint after filling in a nail hole knows how "good" the results are.

I have a decorator friend who pointed out to me that she looks at her clients' personal belongings/furnishings and discusses with them what would look good in a finished room. She wouldn't have dreamed of hanging anything on my walls without my approval.

• Love 1

In this last one, where the baby came earlier than the house, what I really disliked was coming in the front door, to the dining room.
ETA:  I finally figured out who the homeowner husband reminded me of, Bob Denver in Gilligan's Island.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 1

In the recent ep where the male HO went to school with Joanna, seems like they had the budget for a new house. Why bother with a fixer in the first place ...

Chip, you're in Texas. You could get by with "ya'll's" if necessary, but "you guyses" to for a joint possessive is not acceptable from a 40-something man!

In this last one, where the baby came earlier than the house, what I really disliked was coming in the front door, to the dining room.

ETA:  I finally figured out who the homeowner husband reminded me of, Bob Denver in Gilligan's Island.

I've had the same reaction.  They always tear out any entryway that would separate the front door from the living space.  There's a reason to have an entryway.  It's so you don't have to have people entering or viewing the rest of your house, if you don't want them to.  I can't imagine anyone wanting people to enter their home straight into the dining room.

Maybe I'm not ready for full on "Open Concept".

• Love 2

Noticed the budget, too. The wife was a gardener so they may have purchased an older home for the lot.

Have been expecting them to tie in the new home subdivision Magnolia's apparently building and the new office/shop.

Their language seemed slightly better these past couple of new episodes. HGTV does typically send their new hosts to training. Perhaps that occurred.

In the recent ep where the male HO went to school with Joanna, seems like they had the budget for a new house. Why bother with a fixer in the first place ...

Chip, you're in Texas. You could get by with "ya'll's" if necessary, but "you guyses" to for a joint possessive is not acceptable from a 40-something man!

Oops, quote didn't appear above. WRT the latest episode.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

A Wacoan speaks up:

One of the remodels that has yet to air is on a street I used to live on. Saw one of my former neighbors the other day and she said that right before the reveal there was a flurry of activity with furniture going in. The day of the reveal, they blocked traffic for a couple of hours. The next day, bright and early the moving trucks came and hauled away all the furniture.

I know that I would want my stuff in my house but to some extent can understand the staging for the reveal. I do think the "surprise" is total bs but maybe they pay the folks for acting classes ; )

Waco has some great old neighborhoods full of houses in need of help. They could do 30 seasons and not run out of possibilities. One of the things I like about the show is that they branch out into all neighborhoods...not just the "good" Waco ones, not just Woodway (which really grew as Waco public schools declined in the 70's). I don't get the need for the house hunter bit. Why spend all that time doing that? Meet the couple at the house they have just purchased and go from there.

One of the great things about Waco is what you see in purchase and renovation costs. Our cost of living is great. When I watch LIOLI I can't even imagine spending what they do on what they get. Totally different ballgame of course. And, as far as the GFCI...it involves more than replacing plugs. I'm no expert but I think it requires special wiring back to the breaker box.

As far as the lingo...there's the way you talk in business and the way you talk casually. I don't know if it's a Waco thing or universal, but I know when I'm talking with a contractor or plumber, etc, I find myself changing up my usual speech...saying things like "I reckon so" or "I 'ppreciate it" (thanks, dad). I use "bucks" all the time. I suspect they are encouraging the Gaines and Chip in particular, to go with the casual. 

By the way, this is not Waco's first connection with reality tv...Christi Proctor was a decorator on Trading Spaces. She and her husband John have an "Interiors" store (rugs, tile, upholstery, etc).

• Love 6

A Wacoan speaks up:

One of the remodels that has yet to air is on a street I used to live on. Saw one of my former neighbors the other day and she said that right before the reveal there was a flurry of activity with furniture going in. The day of the reveal, they blocked traffic for a couple of hours. The next day, bright and early the moving trucks came and hauled away all the furniture.

I know that I would want my stuff in my house but to some extent can understand the staging for the reveal. I do think the "surprise" is total bs but maybe they pay the folks for acting classes ; )

Waco has some great old neighborhoods full of houses in need of help. They could do 30 seasons and not run out of possibilities. One of the things I like about the show is that they branch out into all neighborhoods...not just the "good" Waco ones, not just Woodway (which really grew as Waco public schools declined in the 70's). I don't get the need for the house hunter bit. Why spend all that time doing that? Meet the couple at the house they have just purchased and go from there.

One of the great things about Waco is what you see in purchase and renovation costs. Our cost of living is great. When I watch LIOLI I can't even imagine spending what they do on what they get. Totally different ballgame of course. And, as far as the GFCI...it involves more than replacing plugs. I'm no expert but I think it requires special wiring back to the breaker box.

As far as the lingo...there's the way you talk in business and the way you talk casually. I don't know if it's a Waco thing or universal, but I know when I'm talking with a contractor or plumber, etc, I find myself changing up my usual speech...saying things like "I reckon so" or "I 'ppreciate it" (thanks, dad). I use "bucks" all the time. I suspect they are encouraging the Gaines and Chip in particular, to go with the casual. 

By the way, this is not Waco's first connection with reality tv...Christi Proctor was a decorator on Trading Spaces. She and her husband John have an "Interiors" store (rugs, tile, upholstery, etc).

Thanks so much for writing in from Waco, fayster!  Thanks for confirming pretty much all of our assumptions.

WRT the "surprise", they definitely won't provide any classes.  Some of it may be genuine, if they've truly kicked the homeowners out of their homes for a couple of months.  (None of these TV renos happen in a week, IMHO!  At least they haven't made that claim, IIRC, on FU.)

Agree, nice to see various Waco neighborhoods but could they find homeowners willing to invest in add'l areas?  In all of these projects, I'm curious if they're over-improving, compared to the neighborhood.  I thought it was sad that the Baylor coach (soccer, IIRC) went along with the filming and then didn't move his family into the home.  That must have been the deal between the couple, however.

Yes, I'd be very happy if they dumped the house hunter portion and showed more reno / design scenes.

Here's a link to the GFCI project.  It's an extremely simple job and should only require, literally, a few minutes per outlet.  IIRC, this came up when Chip quoted $2-3K to do someone's home.  Chip's quoting for someone who would know how to do this.  If you use an electrician for this, you're throwing $$$ away, IMHO.              http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-install-a-gfci-outlet/index.html   

OTOH, if you don't want to deal with it, an electrician might need only a minute per outlet!  I can just imagine some reno show setting up a race.  When the diy network indicates 30 minutes, it's either their minimum time or they're practically talking about an entire home, lol! 

Agree about the lingo, too.  I posted something along those same lines, earlier.  We speak differently for either different functions or with certain people.  As you noted, our concern is that the production company and/or network is apparently trying to make them appear more TX or overly folksy or something, i.e. stereotypical.

I vaguely remember Christi.  Couldn't find a link.  What's the name of her store?  Perhaps she doesn't use social media.  Does she still design?

How do you like Jo's style?  Satisfy most Waco homeowners?  Or, is that simply stereotypical, too?  Besides what they've aired so far, how many different home styles would we find around Waco?

Thanks again for the behind the scenes info.

Edited by aguabella

They improved the hell out of the outside of tonight's home. I missed the set up (dogs!) but my cable guide said the husband was a pastor--Church of the Hat?

I understand different vernacular for different folks, but the youse guys has got. to. stop.

Edited to ask if Jo has a warehouse full of farm sinks--cause they're probably not hauling those out.

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 1

My husband watched an episode with me that I had on DVR. He made a couple observations.

First, if JoJo & Chip are "showing" properties to buyers, why aren't they driving them to the prospective houses? When we've house hunted, the real estate agent always did the driving and we rode along.

Second, he wondered why JoJo didn't use the homeowners' own furniture in the finished house.

Well, that second one's easy to answer--she's showing off her shabby chic design expertise & trying to sell stuff from her store. I told my hubby about the Waco resident who posted here that all the staging was removed after the "reveal" and he just shook his head before asking me why I watch this drivel. Answer: house porn ;)

First, if JoJo & Chip are "showing" properties to buyers, why aren't they driving them to the prospective houses? When we've house hunted, the real estate agent always did the driving and we rode along.

Neither Joanna or Chip are real estate agents, and thank goodness they don't pretend to be ones. As mentioned upthread, they could probably lose the looking at 3 houses since the decision has already been made. However, I do enjoy seeing and hearing Joanna describe what could be done with the various houses, including the computer graphics. If you're not looking for move-in ready and are willing to have renovations done, it gives you some ideas. I could probably come up with the something similar myself, but I find her ideas interesting. HGTV used to have a show where they would show people several houses that all needed work, and use computer graphics to demonstrate what the changes would look like. Can't remember the name of the show now.

The only time a real estate agent drove me to prospective houses was when I was looking out of town and didn't have a car. We always drove ourselves to houses we were looking at for the last 2 houses we bought. We just met our agent there (although he offered to drive us.) Agents don't even drive clients to homes on House Hunters (or Beachfront Bargains or Hawaii Life or Caribbean Life or the other many iterations of house porn). Probably easier for filming reasons.

Add me to the list of those waiting for Joanna to design something other than a white kitchen. It would be nice to see some variety.

• Love 1

They improved the hell out of the outside of tonight's home. I missed the set up (dogs!) but my cable guide said the husband was a pastor--Church of the Hat?

Waco has a LOT of churches but glad camom clarified that there's not one called Church of the Hat! LOL.

How do you like Jo's style?  Satisfy most Waco homeowners?  Or, is that simply stereotypical, too?  Besides what they've aired so far, how many different home styles would we find around Waco?

Waco's like anywhere else, you'll find everything. 

I do know that another house they did...on a busy street I drive down almost daily...is Mid Century Modern. I think. I hope they kept it that way. That is rumored to air in March. The outside looks amazing. I can't imagine her usual stuff going in there.

aguabella...here's her Pinterest page: http://www.pinterest.com/crippy8129/

I will say their business, Home Place, is very traditional. John, her husband, helped me pick out tile and flooring for our kitchen remodel and I've bought some rugs there.

I don't necessarily think staging the house for reveal with Magnolia products is a bad thing.  I'm guessing the homeowners are getting some kind of compensation by agreeing to appear on the show, whether it be free/cheap labor or a straight up appearance fee.  If I were buying a fixer upper in Waco, I wouldn't care about Joanna doing whatever she wanted to the house for the reveal, provided that everything was made straight after she left and all the permanent fixtures were to my satisfaction.  After she leaves with all her stuff, it'd be just like moving into a new house.  I'd still have to hire movers, etc.  Plus, no one would want to see my horrible Craiglist & 10-year old Ikea furniture anyways and I think that would be personally mortifying.

I know in the first season, there were a couple of episodes where Chip alluded in the reveal that the homeowner's weren't necessarily going to keep the house as their primary residence.  I would guess that Chip & Joanna really don't care what happens to the homes afterwards unlike Nicole Curtis.  They aren't in it for any kind of historical preservation.

Joanna's style definitely holds up in this part of Texas (not from Waco, but only about an hour away).  The shabby chic has really hit the upper middle class SAHM segment hard in my town.  They don't want to look like they are Dallas socialites, but they spend just about as much money on their decor.

• Love 5