Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: French Country in Texas?

It was certainly a fascinating house and the minimalist look worked well. Like others, I wasn't wild about the brass drawer hardware and the brass columns in the kitchen. The huge display area didn't bother me because the rooms also had a HUGE amount of cabinet space. The long concrete ledge in front of the fireplace worked well, although I think I would have liked a "leathered" stain on it.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm kind of glad to see brass making something of a comeback. While we've replaced some of it in our house with brushed nickel, we need new master bathroom sink faucets and would like to keep them brass because we don't want to change out light fixtures, etc. However, brass has been nearly impossible to find, which is why it's been put it off. While I prefer brushed nickel, I like brass well enough and my husband loves it.

I really wanted to like the Fixer Upper show last night, but it was disappointing that the actual house reveal was so abbreviated. All the extra birthday stuff took away from the reason I watch the program.

I did notice the empty window frame on the wall during the short reveal, although it wasn't glaringly out of place. On the other hand, the barn door seemed really out of place.

Have seen polished brass recently, including Kohler, Moen and Delta bathroom fixtures at the big box stores.  If they don't stock it in your area, CruiseDiva, I believe they ship to their stores for online purchases, free of charge.

Agree about the BD scenes.  IIRC they removed the RE "decision" scenes and abbreviated the last house tour but it wasn't quite enough, IMHO.  Guess the BD scenes included the special Clint Harp project, huh?  Feels like he has a contract, doesn't it?

Thought Jo was hedging a tad b/c she said something about the wife also liking antiques just before the reveal.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1
(edited)

I didn't care for the brass at all either, or the way the dishes were displayed on the shelves.

It would be interesting to see what the homeowner does on her own.

I love the sofa and I hope they keep it!

I couldn't stop thinking about the hassle of cleaning and maintaining those glass shelves.  Nah, she won't be busy with a new baby, work, 4 step-children - no problem, lol.

Tossing a Scandinavian Designs ad and the blue sectional on the cover jumped out at me.  Looked like that sofa or something close to it.  The style name:  "Mid Century", IIRC.  So, if you're in the market for one, you might want to check it out, HonestlyWTF.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

The earlier discussion about whether Chip and/or Jo are real estate agents -- it drives me crazy that in the commercial Jo says "real-a-tor" instead of the proper realtor.  One of my pet peeves and especially annoying when someone in real estate says it.  (No, I'm not in real estate, it just bugs me.)

• Love 2

I like mid-century modern, and remember the real  thing.
That light brick was so right, and painting it so wrong.
Barn door was out of place, and as others have said, the brass.

• Love 2

auntjess, I remember mid-century modern first-hand as well and, while Jo's design was contemporary, it wasn't mid-century modern by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't get me started on painted brick. The homeowners who allow their outside brick to be painted by Chip & Jo are going to be so sorry in years to come when that paint starts to look worn (and chipped) and they have no recourse but to put out big money to have it pressure washed, scraped, and repainted. Trust me, we lived in a rental house in Louisiana that had painted brick inside and out. The house was only about five years old and the inside brick looked fine, but the outside brick was already starting to look sad. The owners we rented from told us they hoped to sell it before they had to repaint it. Neighbors next door told us the natural red brick was gorgeous and they were astonished when the original owner (who was a decorator) had it painted yellow.

camom, whenever that promo ad for Fixer Upper comes on with Chip telling Jo how smart & pretty she is (after she mispronounces Realtor), my husband laughs at her telling him "that piece goes over there" and the piece she is referring to is a bank of four beat up lockers that look like they came out of a high school gym. Doesn't everyone want junk in their living room? LOL!

(edited because spelling matters!)

Edited by CruiseDiva
  • Love 3

And for those of you tired of the ubiquitous huge clock wall hanging, how about FIVE small clocks? Jo loves her clocks.

This whole episode was over the top, and not just the 5 clocks. There were numerous signs and messages hung around; Chip's ridiculous antics were ramped up. I really like this show, but it has lost a lot of its original charm this season.

• Love 3

The mid-century modern house could have been so much better, but maybe the clients also did not appreciate some of the original look and wanted it updated.  The wooden floor to ceiling accordion doors were incredible.  I don't know if I ever would have used them, but I sure would not have trashed them.  Never paint brick unless it's absolutely necessary.  Maybe the outside brick had some cracks in it and the paint disguised that, but if not I would never paint brick.  I live in a brick house that was painted by a former owner.  Last year while removing some rotting plywood siding to replace it with Hardiboard, we found that the siding had been installed over a beautiful unpainted brick wall.  The brick was what is called "old brick" here in Baton Rouge and it was beautiful.  Unfortunately, the rest of the house is painted beige (ugh), and leaving the newly discovered brick unpainted was not an option unless we repainted the entire house to compliment.  Even the painter hated to paint the newly discovered brick the same color as the house.  Once you paint brick, you can never restore it to its natural state unless you spend a lot of money sandblasting and whatever else it takes if it's even possible.  I was glad to see that they did not remove the terrazzo floors.

• Love 2

I have started DVRing Fixer Upper and fast-forwarding to the end to see the results(count the clocks, window frames, rough wood mantels, words on walls). I'm not a fan of the cutesy stuff with the family. I started watching in the beginning because I was in awe of the price of real estate in Waco compared to here in Austin. Now I may quit watching entirely.

I guess my favorite designs are from the Love It or List It programs, especially the Vancouver ones. At least the ideas are fresh and the scenery is beautiful. I still DVR and FF through the drama and bickering.

• Love 2

The earlier discussion about whether Chip and/or Jo are real estate agents -- it drives me crazy that in the commercial Jo says "real-a-tor" instead of the proper realtor.  One of my pet peeves and especially annoying when someone in real estate says it.  (No, I'm not in real estate, it just bugs me.)

I usually ignore those things but noticed it b/c of comments here.  It's even worse, camom - she says "real-a-ter".  That's "ter" instead of "tor".  Unfortunately, after noticing it, I start thinking "ter" as in "turd", lol!

Gotta' fast-forward and keep it out of my head!

Edited by aguabella

And for those of you tired of the ubiquitous huge clock wall hanging, how about FIVE small clocks? Jo loves her clocks.

That was 6, CN42!  Excuse my language, guys (hahaha, lil Fixer Upper joke, there), but 6 is just un-blanken-believable!

camom, whenever that promo ad for Fixer Upper comes on with Chip telling Jo how smart & pretty she is (after she mispronounces Realtor), my husband laughs at her telling him "that piece goes over there" and the piece she is referring to is a bank of four beat up lockers that look like they came out of a high school gym. Doesn't everyone want junk in their living room? LOL!

I'll be nice (I try, lol) and note that IIRC, she used those lockers in a casual family room (getting technical on rooms, here, hahaha) for a family with a gaggle of teens.  That said, I agree - they belong in a mud room!

Yes, the painted brick feels like a quick, cheap upgrade to them now but agree, they'll be sorry if they're still around and forced to maintain it in the future.

Always enjoy your husband's commentary, CruiseDiva!

• Love 1

This whole episode was over the top, and not just the 5 clocks. There were numerous signs and messages hung around; Chip's ridiculous antics were ramped up. I really like this show, but it has lost a lot of its original charm this season.

I feel a teensy bit bad but have to admit that when Chip set up that ridiculous contest with Jo, breaking through the sheet rock, I sorta' wanted him to break his head, lol!  (Not really, guys - hahahha ...) 

Jo said it for me, "Did you break your arm?"

• Love 1

A good friend of mine is a general contractor. He's done some work on my house. Neither he or any of the subcontractors have ever karate chopped sheetrock, sledge hammered my cabinets, broken mirrors with a baseball bat, or hung from the rafters. He's more concerned with time (= money), safety, and high quality work. Put a camera on somebody... they change.

I checked Joanna's blog because she gives a short recap of each episode. Aguabella, you're right - it was SIX clocks! I agree that the signs and clocks have gone over the top. Guess what? Joanna sells all that stuff on her website. So the staging is just another way to sell merch. Guess I don't blame her.

HonestlyWTF - Hello fellow Austinite! Isn't it nice to see Central Texas houses that are affordable? That ship sailed a long time ago in Austin.

I lurved the harvest table the new guy brought in from Dallas. Clint's recycled wood/pipe table? Not so much. Am I the only one who doesn't want a table or kitchen island made from old floorboards?

Edited by CN42

Also for the record: I hate barn doors. I love real barn doors, but that's where they belong: in the barn. When did sliding barn doors become a thing? Especially in suburban homes? IMO, it looks like they wanted a classic pocket door but didn't want to take the time and expense to install them.

We've considered putting one into our master bedroom, because the master bath doesn't have a door (although there is a separate throne room), just an opening leading to the master bath area. It's curved on top, so a pocket door would look weird. It doesn't bug me, but it drives my husband nuts. So we've thought about either curtains, or some kind of sliding door arrangement.

• Love 1

A good friend of mine is a general contractor. He's done some work on my house. Neither he or any of the subcontractors have ever karate chopped sheetrock, sledge hammered my cabinets, broken mirrors with a baseball bat, or hung from the rafters. He's more concerned with time (= money), safety, and high quality work. Put a camera on somebody... they change.

Yep, my experience exactly.  I've had lots of people working on my homes over the years and have never seen any, any of the shenanigans that you see on TV.  But that's the point - it's TV.  I'm willing to cut Chip a lot of slack on this because he's no doubt doing exactly what the producers are encouraging him to do.  He's probably a naturally goofy guy and when he first hammed it up for the camera, and the people filming him said "wow that's great give us more of that!" then what's going to happen?  There's a reason these two have a hit show on HGTV, rather than any of the other 100,000 people who do roughly the same work.  It's got to be a pretty fine line between putting on a compelling TV show and taking things on that TV show too far. 

• Love 3

Omg I love this show! Chip and Joanna look like they'd be fun to hang out with. I love the way they play off each other. Caught my fave episode last night where Joanna is talking to the camera about something which seemed to go on without a point or ending and then Chip interrupts JoJo and asks her if her story will end soon because he's about to get heat stroke! AWESOME!!! Made me love them more. I have a feeling that Chip and Joanna will crossover to mainstream TV and huge fame. Similar to Rachel Ray and Bethanny Frankel...the Gaines will build their empire and have a daily show or something. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that will inevitably happen.

Also, it makes me laugh in the beginning part of every show Joanna says, "We're Chip and Joanna Gaines." Am I the only one who thinks that's funny?

Lastly, I guess their daugher Emmie is their favorite child because they always seem to be asking her to do or look at something. Lol.

Go Team Gaines!!!

I feel a teensy bit bad but have to admit that when Chip set up that ridiculous contest with Jo, breaking through the sheet rock, I sorta' wanted him to break his head, lol

He was lucky he didn't break his neck.  I'd like to see a little less goofing around and shopping, and more of the actual how-to on the remodeling aspect of it.  We are taking on small projects in our house, so any tidbits of information from the professionals is a big help to us!

Is it now the trend to have the entire living room & kitchen open as you enter the front door?  In the latest house with the "rocket scientist" buyer,  they removed the foyer wall, so everything was wide open.  I laughed because when they walked into the house, they made a comment about the wall - as if they didn't know why it was there, and I was yelling at the TV, it's called a foyer!  Granted, it was narrow as they entered the house, but for me, I probably would've left the wall up.  I'm partial to a foyer, and I find it helpful to have a few walls in the den/living room so as to make furniture placement a little easier.  Living in an area with cold winters, it's nice to be able to enter the house into a foyer so that the cold air doesn't go rushing through the living room. 

For the most part though, I do like their redesign schemes.  However, I'm not crazy about most of the painted brick.  Some of the houses they painted looked just fine with the original brick.  YMMV.

• Love 2

Is it now the trend to have the entire living room & kitchen open as you enter the front door?  In the latest house with the "rocket scientist" buyer,  they removed the foyer wall, so everything was wide open.

It's a sure bet on this show, that any wall running parallel to the front door will be taken down. So will one kitchen wall. And if there's a staircase, they will open it up by removing the sheet rock that blocks the view of the living room because evidently, one must be able to know who the other guests are before one makes the decision to stay or leave. I like replacing the wall with spindles, but the pattern for this show is getting tedious.

Older homes with very pale brick really do look much better when they're painted. Not to say that it won't look bad some years down the line. Anyone seen the homes that are painted a brick red color with white paint for the mortar?

• Love 1

We've considered putting one into our master bedroom, because the master bath doesn't have a door (although there is a separate throne room), just an opening leading to the master bath area. It's curved on top, so a pocket door would look weird. It doesn't bug me, but it drives my husband nuts. So we've thought about either curtains, or some kind of sliding door arrangement.

Another great builder innovation, similar to great rooms / open concept - the lack of mba doors to save construction costs!  Or, IOW, open concept bathrooms - goody, just what we all want and need! 

Personally, I think a rounded pocket door would look fine, given that you already have a rounded doorway.  But, if you don't like it, they have all different types of "rolling doors", i.e. they don't have to be barn doors.

You can find ones to coordinate with your interior doors, e.g. paneled.  If you'd like at least some natural light in the mba, I saw one recently that was a french door version but only 1 lite so no panes, finished with tempered glass for privacy.

Even big box stores carry the nicer versions.  Good luck! 

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2

Yep, my experience exactly.  I've had lots of people working on my homes over the years and have never seen any, any of the shenanigans that you see on TV.  But that's the point - it's TV.  I'm willing to cut Chip a lot of slack on this because he's no doubt doing exactly what the producers are encouraging him to do.  He's probably a naturally goofy guy and when he first hammed it up for the camera, and the people filming him said "wow that's great give us more of that!" then what's going to happen?  There's a reason these two have a hit show on HGTV, rather than any of the other 100,000 people who do roughly the same work.  It's got to be a pretty fine line between putting on a compelling TV show and taking things on that TV show too far. 

I'm sure everyone here realizes it's largely producer-driven.  Unfortunately, I believe they've already crossed that line in barely more than 1 season.  When it feels as if each house tour is nothing but a scene to set up some goofy Chip comedy routine, that's too much!  (Can do w/o the house tours almost entirely, except for Jo's brief design commentary but that's another subject.)  Same for the reno - I'm watching for the design aspects and reno ideas, not for the Chip Gaines' comedy hour.

They can decide their program's direction, together with the production company and network but we, as viewers, can always exercise our right to change the channel!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2

I checked Joanna's blog because she gives a short recap of each episode. Aguabella, you're right - it was SIX clocks! I agree that the signs and clocks have gone over the top. Guess what? Joanna sells all that stuff on her website. So the staging is just another way to sell merch. Guess I don't blame her.

HonestlyWTF - Hello fellow Austinite! Isn't it nice to see Central Texas houses that are affordable? That ship sailed a long time ago in Austin.

I lurved the harvest table the new guy brought in from Dallas. Clint's recycled wood/pipe table? Not so much. Am I the only one who doesn't want a table or kitchen island made from old floorboards?

You're definitely not alone, CN42, when it comes to the old floorboards.  I feel the same way about pallets and some of the other trendy scrap wood in vogue, today.  Love the reuse trend, in general, but not as my kitchen table!  There's always 1 rusty nail missed, right?

Besides Jo marketing the overpriced design trinkets from her Waco/online shoppe, we were treated during this episode to the sign guy, Clint Harp's standard commercial and New Chip from Dallas.  (Agree, New Chip had nice things!) 

The episode felt like a constant stream of vendors.  It was way off the charts WRT product placement, for me. 

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

Re: New Chip from Dallas - when he brought the piece into the house, I thought - "huh, it's interesting but what the heck is it FOR?" I guess it is a casual end table, except it is too small to be functional. Wasn't wild about the lamp, either.

I've repurposed many things - the den downstairs has an old copper fire extinguisher turned into a lamp - but the first rule of repurposing something is that it has to be functional in its new life.

There was a little more color on this show, again to the good. I'd like to see less "100% JoJo" and more "this is the client's taste filtered thru JoJo's eyes"

The thing I would like to steal from this show is whoever does Jo-Jo's Google Sketch-Up layouts. I find that program difficult to operate and I am not as fast as one of her design assistants must be.

What bugged me about this week's show is that the homeowner chose to spend her extra $2,500 on the front entrance and not extending the HVAC to the sunroom. I thought I saw a stove in the corner that I suppose could keep the room warm in the winter, but what's going to keep the room cool in the summer? Does she think her son will want to step foot in there between May and October?

Also, kudos to daughter for letting mom have the master bedroom and bathroom!

• Love 5

Joylove, I totally agree with you.  Spend the money on the HVAC work while the house is being torn apart.  It will cost more later and the mess will be an additional headache.  The front could have been spiffed up with some paint and plantings.  Buyers seem to sometimes be blinded by bling and not the substance.

• Love 3

I admit that I watch this mostly for the real estate prices because it's like a fantasy world compared to the ones near me ( San Francisco Bay area).  Look, these folks are going to buy a 5 bedroom, 3 bath house with a pool for $250K!

Has anyone ever encountered as many houses infested with bees as these two?

If you're making up a drinking game, it's got to be one drink if Joanna says "cool new" and chug the thing if she says she doesn't want to repeat her designs.  Because every one is the same thing!

• Love 2

What bugged me about this week's show is that the homeowner chose to spend her extra $2,500 on the front entrance and not extending the HVAC to the sunroom.

I was shaking my head over her choice to "improve" the front door. She must be new to Texas and not accustomed to the climate? If that wasn't the case, I missed it. The front door looked nice in the reveal, but seriously? Having that done instead of HVAC for the sunroom was a mistake. When it gets hot, the son will fry even with ceiling fans and when it's cold he'll have to sit right in front of the stove to keep warm instead of playing at his Clint Harp (!) table.

The dining table with built-in benches...did the magazine racks on the back of one bench remind anyone else of their dentist's office waiting room?

If you're making up a drinking game, it's got to be one drink if Joanna says "cool new" and chug the thing if she says she doesn't want to repeat her designs.  Because every one is the same thing!

The clocks and letters on the wall, the signs, the tearing down of walls, the "opening up" of staircase walls, the removal of foyers, the puddled drapes, the Clint Harp projects, ship lap (although we only see that in really old houses), Chip's antics, and a few others that I can't think of offhand. Yes--a drinking game is in order, but we'll all be alcoholics by the end of the season!

Edited to add more repeating elements that I thought of: painted brick, white subway tile, farmhouse kitchen sinks, barn doors, and of course all the tchotkes available for purchase from Jo's shop and online. Interestingly, she even sells copies of the signs found in the staged homes. I guess those weren't necessarily one-of-a-kind pieces made specifically for the homeowners. Product placement, y'all.

Edited by CruiseDiva
  • Love 2

I was concerned about the lack of AC in the sunroom, too. Potentially they could add a window AC, but I didn't see a window that could have been used. I think they were all large, fixed pane windows. Still, with the carpenters there, they could have cut a hole in an outside wall and installed a wall-thru unit for maybe $500, including the AC unit. I don't think they'll get a lot of use out of the sunroom, as is.

• Love 1

I admit that I watch this mostly for the real estate prices because it's like a fantasy world compared to the ones near me ( San Francisco Bay area).  Look, these folks are going to buy a 5 bedroom, 3 bath house with a pool for $250K!

Has anyone ever encountered as many houses infested with bees as these two?

If you're making up a drinking game, it's got to be one drink if Joanna says "cool new" and chug the thing if she says she doesn't want to repeat her designs.  Because every one is the same thing!

Lol.  Where I live $250,000 is insanely expensive for a house with a pool.  Maybe they should set an HGTV show in my neck of the woods. (The Adirondacks)

I have to admit that I love Clint, he's just adorable.  And very good with his hands. ;)

Edited by Honey
  • Love 1

I was shaking my head over her choice to "improve" the front door. She must be new to Texas and not accustomed to the climate? If that wasn't the case, I missed it. The front door looked nice in the reveal, but seriously? Having that done instead of HVAC for the sunroom was a mistake. When it gets hot, the son will fry even with ceiling fans and when it's cold he'll have to sit right in front of the stove to keep warm instead of playing at his Clint Harp (!) table.

Not 100% sure but they may have said she'd relocated from Nashville with her mother and son.  Who knows how long ago, however ...

If she wasn't thinking about the TX heat, it's too bad Jo didn't comment about it.  Makes so much sense to take care of these things while the work's in progress and crews on site.

Doesn't the Clint Harp project disappear the day after the reveal with everything else?  I sorta' see the kid coloring on his Tarjait patio table! 

We could purchase about 1.5 city parking spaces around here for 250K!

• Love 1

I don't like the open bathroom in a master (or anywhere).  My friends have that and the opening is about 10-12 feet and lines up with the wall where the bed is placed.  It's horrible!

I've been toying with installing the rail door in my kitchen.  I had the door removed and the opening made wider which looks nice but can't block the cat out or contain when I make a smokey meal (which is fairly frequent).  The hardware is fairly expensive though.

Totally agree that the homeowner should have done the HVAC in the sunroom.  That room was a huge disappointment overall ... ooh, a room with a table and some shelves! (not to mention almost no color)   The room could have had at least 2 zones:  a comfortable sitting area, and then a play/homework area.

What exactly will she do with the 5 acres?

• Love 2

What's the deal with Chip and calling women "girls"? It was irritating the way he addressed the mother and daughter duo. You would think he'd have the wherewithal to avoid being filmed saying that over and over again. Okay, I'll back off that one. But what I wonder about is why so much work only involves his sons. Why does he limit things to the boys? Does this mean the girls are back home baking cookies and vacuuming? Okay, that might be extreme. Still, why doesn't he have that the older daughter doing "manual" labor, too?

And please, JoJo, teach him the difference between "foot" and "feet" and introduce the adverb to him.

• Love 4

Was it a new episode or a repeat this week?

Dear Chip: the last El Nino was in 2009/2010. The snow there was not from El Nino at all.

This episode had more color, which is a plus. Not sure I like the brick backsplash - not a fan of that yellow brick that seems to be so common there - but at least it wasn't white subway tile. As I was asking for previously, this one seemed a little out of the "100% Joanna" look. Still a lot of the (temporary set design) elements, but the base house had a bit more color.

I've never seen a house with shiplap, so I find it fascinating. I liked the painted shiplap, I like it in the natural color, but it is just too dark.

If I could pick two things to ditch in this show, it would be when the couple comes out to the farmhouse (I want to see the Sketch-up model, I just think it is nuts to make the couple drive all the way out there to do it. For the price they are paying, she should go the them) and the inevitable phone call about something being an extra expense.

I can't comment on the "appropriate jobs for boys vs girls" things without getting semi-political, so I'll just leave it be, as my mother would have said.

• Love 2

Was it a new episode or a repeat this week?

Dear Chip: the last El Nino was in 2009/2010. The snow there was not from El Nino at all.

This episode had more color, which is a plus. Not sure I like the brick backsplash - not a fan of that yellow brick that seems to be so common there - but at least it wasn't white subway tile. As I was asking for previously, this one seemed a little out of the "100% Joanna" look. Still a lot of the (temporary set design) elements, but the base house had a bit more color.

I've never seen a house with shiplap, so I find it fascinating. I liked the painted shiplap, I like it in the natural color, but it is just too dark.

If I could pick two things to ditch in this show, it would be when the couple comes out to the farmhouse (I want to see the Sketch-up model, I just think it is nuts to make the couple drive all the way out there to do it. For the price they are paying, she should go the them) and the inevitable phone call about something being an extra expense.

I can't comment on the "appropriate jobs for boys vs girls" things without getting semi-political, so I'll just leave it be, as my mother would have said.

They showed another new episode in the Tues. night 9pm ET/PT, 8pm CT (I assume) timeslot, WildPlum.  Haven't seen it yet but the description indicates it's a couple in Hubbard, TX, looking for a home to accommodate their large family and numerous animals.  The episode was listed as S2/Ep11.

So you object to the farmhouse scene only b/c the couple must drive to visit Jo?  Not the promotional aspect of it?  Sometimes she does that scene at her shop;  either way, IMHO she's promoting her brand.  (Yes, I enjoy seeing the Sketchup version, too!) 

WRT the driving, IMHO the couples know (or should know) what they're signing up for when they agree to do the show.  And, they're receiving at least 30K towards their reno, less the tax bill based on the actual retail value of all goods and services received.  Don't know the details but HGTV's fixed fee 30K contract may be discounted in exchange for promotional consideration. 

Given the benefits received and the couple's contractual choice, I have a hard time feeling sorry for them about the drive to the farmhouse or Jo's shop.  OTOH, the promotional aspect and product placement?  Now that annoys me!  JMHO

Definitely agree with your choice to leave the one discussion alone.  Feels like HGTV's trying to satisfy a certain demographic.  Guess they know, or believe they know, the demographics of their audience.

ETA:  Yes, I hate the obligatory, 1 per episode, telephone call, too.  It's a fixed fee contract, in my understanding.  Or, take it out of the contingency.  Either way, whatever, yawn ...

Edited by aguabella

Agree with you both, Wild and Agua. This show is straying from its roots and becoming a personality show with a formula and I'm beginning to lose interest in it. It's following a pattern now and I don't care for the phone call, the over-the-top antics, or the "We have a little money left in the budget..." Way to ruin a good thing, HGTV, and create yet another tedious show.

• Love 1

As for the usual "we have a little money left in the budget", I want a couple to tell her that they don't want to spend it and will wait until they get the obligatory phone call advisint them that new construction costs will have to be incurred to fix something, and they will spend it then.  Like that will ever happen - not.

• Love 5

As for the usual "we have a little money left in the budget", I want a couple to tell her that they don't want to spend it and will wait until they get the obligatory phone call advisint them that new construction costs will have to be incurred to fix something, and they will spend it then.  Like that will ever happen - not.

That's what I've been thinking all along since the first time I heard that "little money left in the budget" BS. I've been wanting to shout at the TV, "Don't SPEND it! They will find something wrong and you will get the fixer up phone call of doom." They're going to tell you they need XXX more dollars (or as Chip says, bucks) and, if that"little money left in the budget" was from your contingency fund, get out your wallet.

Yes, I know it's reality TV and that's a producer-driven device that's very predictable, but it's gotten as annoying as the repetitive clocks, letters, signs, etc. Nearly as annoying as Chip's goofiness, Joanna's product placement for her merchandise, and the Clint project-of-the-week-using-salvaged-wood.

I enjoyed their first season. It was a charming breath of fresh air, but it's gone stale. What a shame.

• Love 3

I have watched a few of their shows.  They are likable and I think they show respect and love to each other which must be hard when you want to smack Chip!  LOL  I don't see the same type drama of "OMG the whole house has to be rewired" or "OMG you have asbestos" scenarios although I am not an avid watcher so may have missed it in the episodes I did see.  I too am not a fan of the hokey sayings she puts on people's walls especially without their knowledge.  I always wonder why the owners aren't part of the decorating process.  Why are Joanna and Chip picking out their furniture and putting stuff on their walls?  Some of the stuff would be taken down the minute they leave.  Most people have their own stuff.  If it is for the show it goes too far.  

Joanna is a very pretty and a poster child for the 70's!  Chip I just want to make over, a shower, hair cut and a shave would do nicely!!  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 3

I have only recently started watching this show, so I doesn't annoy me too much, yet. But it certainly is formulaic, so I am sure I will be yelling at the tv soon enough.

With this show, and Property Brothers, I would imagine that most of the decor is only there for the reveal. When you are counting every penny of your reno budget but never mention cutting corners on the OTT, unnecessary decorating pieces, something is fishy. Most people I know who buy a house, especially a first house or a significantly larger home, make do with most of their old stuff and buy new over time. If nothing else, living in a new space for a while gives you time to figure out what you need.

Others have mentioned earlier the "comic" destruction these shows always show. Aside from the nonsense of it all, it also bugs me from a financial standpoint. Again, the buyers claim to be counting every dollar, so why not take a little more time and remove cabinets, doors, etc., so they can be sold. It doesn't take that much longer to unscrew a cabinet from the wall and remove it in one piece. I had 4 yucky cabinets that had been in my garage for 40 years. I advertised them on Craigslist and sold them the same afternoon for $40. I would bet they destroy $1000 worth of stuff in every home that could be sold with little effort.

• Love 4

That's what I've been thinking all along since the first time I heard that "little money left in the budget" BS. I've been wanting to shout at the TV, "Don't SPEND it! They will find something wrong and you will get the fixer up phone call of doom." They're going to tell you they need XXX more dollars (or as Chip says, bucks) and, if that"little money left in the budget" was from your contingency fund, get out your wallet.

Just curious, CruiseDiva, is it your belief that the homeowners are actually coming out-of-pocket, i.e. writing a check, after they receive the phone call?

When Jo explains that she has a "little extra" in the budget, she's doing that at the inception of the project.  Thus, at that point in time, the contingency fund is fully intact and set aside so not affected by that project.  IMHO they're just discussing a design option.  (Personally, I don't know for sure but I assume the homeowners are far more involved in the design choices and process than tptb depict on screen.)

By the time they make the phone call, the project's underway.  I've never heard a phone call with an amount so large that it shouldn't be covered by their contingency.  Contingency amounts vary, depending on the project, but I'm sure they hold back at least 10% and possibly more like 15% if they're concerned about a particular reno.  On this last episode, for only the new build / add-on portion, 10% was probably adequate b/c those costs are typically known, certain and basically fixed, up-front. 

WRT this last project, when the homeowners added on the metal roof, that'd be considered a change order, not a contingency item.  They'd be responsible for that.  If, however, by the absolute end of the project, any contingency $$$ were available, then, yes, they could be allocated to the roof'.  That wouldn't occur until the bitter end, however.

Of course, the above is n/a if Magnolia is strictly fixed fee.  (One of the articles in their local newspaper indicated that the network / production company might have negotiated something with them.)  And, as you mentioned, CruiseDiva, it's reality television so fakity-fake!

I apologize if you already knew or weren't interested in the above.  Someone else might be.  That's how it'd work in the real world, IMHO.  So, yeah, who knows?  lol ....

• Love 2