Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: French Country in Texas?

I think that was the purpose of Chip calling Jo...because they are the homeowners.

That was a joke I actually appreciated, a send-up of the usual bit where they call the homeowner and inform them of some necessary additional cost.

• Love 4

I, too, used to enjoy the show more. It has gone the way of most HGTV shows that follow the same formula. I've noticed things that bother me now that didn't used to. Chip's antics are definitely getting old. He just had to be the center of attention, especially with his kids. I've also noticed that they really raise those kids to gender stereotypes. Boys do the hard labor, girls decorate, boys earn money, girls dress cute. And finally, I've read most of the staging is from her shop with an option to buy. So, why do they nail everything to the walls? That must take some time to repair those holes. It is a good show to relax and fall asleep with, however.

• Love 1

I, too, used to enjoy the show more. It has gone the way of most HGTV shows that follow the same formula. I've noticed things that bother me now that didn't used to. Chip's antics are definitely getting old. He just had to be the center of attention, especially with his kids. I've also noticed that they really raise those kids to gender stereotypes. Boys do the hard labor, girls decorate, boys earn money, girls dress cute. And finally, I've read most of the staging is from her shop with an option to buy. So, why do they nail everything to the walls? That must take some time to repair those holes. It is a good show to relax and fall asleep with, however.

I certainly agree about Chip's antics and the stereotypes.

According to the many articles I've read plus standard procedures for other home renovation programs, the following is true for F/U:

WRT the staging, the only item retained by the homeowners is the Jo-designed Magnolia gift, usually (but not always) a Clint piece.  Everything else is available for sale, either via Magnolia or other vendors. 

No Magnolia gift for the caretaker couple in the last episode.  Makes sense b/c they're staff - not clients.

WRT the nail holes, the production company's contract should indicate that the property will be turned over to the homeowners, after filming's completion, in its finished state, i.e. cleaned and with any filming alterations or damage repaired.  If the design team's careful, the wall damage s/b minimal. 

Hey, there's always toothpaste, right? (lol)

• Love 2

So, the termite/ant disaster of the "carriage house" for the B&B turned out to look exactly like every other Joanna house zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  I wonder if the couple will accept it!  Will they or won't they!  OMG!  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

In my head, every time someone says "ship lap" I'm starting to sing the "Cush lash" song from Jerry Maguire.  Just me?

I'm gonna need a little more from this show to keep watching. 

• Love 2
(edited)

And, yeah, Chip needed to make the call of doom to Jo about insect damage??  Do they believe that viewers have never heard of an inspection?  

Same thing for roofs and plumbing leaks.  During Season 3, in particular, they had very few calls that included repairs that shouldn't have been discovered upon inspection and probably paid for, out of escrow, by the sellers, IMHO.  So, no doom in those calls!

Besides that, if the buyers accepted the property as-is, I'm certain most of the $$$ involved in their so-called undiscovered work should have been covered by a project contingency.

Either Magnolia's completely incompetent or it's all contrived for the cameras.  I'm betting on the latter!

ETA:  I'm guessing they knew about the significant issues in the other home and delayed the vacation home ("B&B) opening to address them. 

Edited by aguabella

Either Magnolia's completely incompetent or it's all contrived for the cameras.

"Finding" these "unexpected" problems with leaks, insects, and/or wiring really annoys me in all of the HGTV shows.   It just makes the show hosts, who are supposedly construction exports, look stupid.  Actually dealing with the problems is interesting, and as a home owner I like to see how they are handled.  Just please skip the fake drama!

• Love 6

One appreciation of this show is that whatever big i$$ue the house has is "discovered," the homeowners don't demand that they get everything on their wishlist despite the cost of fixing, say, the foundation. Looking at you HH, LIOLI, PB.

• Love 3
(edited)

Agree, Buttersister. I enjoy the maturity of this show. Well, aside from Chip, but even then I'd much rather see his antics than ADULT buyers throwing tantrums and hosts insulting each other. I know it's all scripted, but I still don't want to watch it. I can go out in public if I want to be around entitled, narcissistic, self-absorbed adult children. I don't want them in my home.

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 5

"Finding" these "unexpected" problems with leaks, insects, and/or wiring really annoys me in all of the HGTV shows.   It just makes the show hosts, who are supposedly construction exports, look stupid.  Actually dealing with the problems is interesting, and as a home owner I like to see how they are handled.  Just please skip the fake drama!

I certainly agree, Frost, and have a feeling most viewers would, too - we'd rather they spend time on the repairs and additional renovation / construction issues than wasting screen time (badly) acting out faux dramas.

I don't worry about the construction experts appearing stupid.  They're laughing all the way to the bank!

It does annoy me, however, that the show runners apparently believe the audience is stupid!

• Love 4

Staying home sick for a few days, I finally saw the episode where they redo the "carriage house" next to their B&B.  It might have been cheaper just to tear the whole thing down and start new.  This was a perfect opportunity to show budget tradeoffs, but no, they just went with their same old formula.  At least that nice old couple will now have a giant wall clock in their lives.

I also saw the one where they find the bottle in the wall during construction.  It's also where they "discover" that the brick wall of the house isn't really attached to the actual house, but is free standing.  It waves when it's pushed.  If my construction firm didn't notice that before I bought the house, I'd run screaming to the authorities.  

• Love 2
19 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Staying home sick for a few days, I finally saw the episode where they redo the "carriage house" next to their B&B.  It might have been cheaper just to tear the whole thing down and start new.  This was a perfect opportunity to show budget tradeoffs, but no, they just went with their same old formula.  At least that nice old couple will now have a giant wall clock in their lives.

While I like shabby chic, I like to see other styles and other color schemes.  And they're just not ready to step out of their comfort zone for any time or any reason.  They've sworn me off clocks, that's for sure.

I'm still trying to figure out what's in it for the HO vs just using a conventional home designer/renovator.  Who's just going to hand over five or even six figures to someone who's not going to let them see the finished product until the end, who says just trust me?   If they don't get free furniture and they don't get free services, other than their 15 minutes of fame, why take such a big risk?

I'd also like someone to explain the all-in budget.  If they buy a house listed for $50K, that's what the bank's going to lend them.  Wouldn't they have to apply for a home improvement loan on top of the mortgage unless they have wads of cash?  And then if it were me and the designer said there's an extra $3K in your budget, I'd be saying, good, let's leave it there, rather than shopping another project.  Although isn't that supposedly the freebie for going on the show?

And I agree with everyone who's said the mark of a good designer would be to make the houses look amazing with the HO's existing belongings.  Anybody can cherrypick from a warehouse, and that is why every house Joanna does looks like every other house.   Well, that and the white cabinets, the shiplap, the hardwood floors, the absence of electronics, the giant clocks...

• Love 5

Watching reruns this week, and I still love this show. They're just sweet people. You can see it in their faces.

I'm one who disagrees about designers needing to branch out. People hire a designer for a particular look, usually. Nothing annoys me more than a bored designer choosing to feel challenged rather than giving people what they want.

Sarah Richardson (whom I adore) ran into that problem. She didn't want to keep doing the same look because she wanted her TV shows to be interesting, so she started doing very taste-specific work that left the actual clients disappointed. It's fun to watch the shows, but they come off like a white room challenge. All design should start with the person who will be living in it.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, huahaha said:

Watching reruns this week, and I still love this show. They're just sweet people. You can see it in their faces.

I agree.  I like them and the show too.  Some may think that Chip's "antics" may go on too long but I'm sure he's prodded to do that.  I can tell that he's naturally a funny guy and I love that, he's pretty quick witted in my opinion. 

I like them so, so much better than the snooty, stick up their butts couple on Flip or Flop.  And,  Chip knows how to hold the tools properly, unlike the husband on Flip or Flop. 

• Love 7

Ah, Aunt Tora, you have hit so many of of my pet peeves with this and other decorating shows and provided me with a good laugh this morning.  As for the open floor plan concept, I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen which is in the center of my house.  It has 2 fairly wide, open doorways that open to a den and a dining room, and one normal size door that opens to the "formal" living room.  The contractor I chose commented that he liked the flow of my house and that was some separation of the rooms, but there wasn't a closed off feeling.  He really liked that there were spaces for people to move to if they wanted to watch TV, or have a conversation with someone, or to read in a quieter space.  He then said that he and his wife live in a new house with the open concept and it was OK until their child became a toddler and now there are toys and noise everywhere.  Yeah, his liking my house is probably a top reason why I chose him for the job.   

• Love 3

I agree that it would be better for them to make the house look great with the clients' furniture (at least primarily - let Clint build them something and let Joanna add some decorative stuff). I think "open plan" goes along with the current parenting style of never letting "babies" out of the parents' sight. The episode last night, with the parents moving from California to Waco because their daughters were both going to be at Baylor? Let those girls learn some independence, for heaven's sake!! If they wanted to live at home, or close enough for frequent contact, they would have gone to school in California....

We built on to our house, creating a sort of "great room" where the kitchen opens into the family room. I love it when we have people over (rarely), but 95% of the time, hubby is watching something on the big tv that I don't want to watch (can't see the tv from the kitchen anyway). I have a smaller, wall-mounted tv in the kitchen with wireless headphones so I can watch something else. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Chiming in with the choir here on open concept---specifically the insane amount of open floor space that Aunt Tora coined, "an elementary school gym. "   So true!!!! 

What?  Do they want the kids riding their trikes, skateboards, etc... in the house?  Why so much  room? These aren't big (3+ kids or extended) families.  I don't get it. 

Also,  TWO livingroom suites almost next to each other,  plus dining room and kitchen on the main floor?  To paraphrase  Mindy Kaling, " Is everyone entertaining without me? " 

Now, I have a livingroom ...which is basically a clean pass-through area from the front door to the kitchen/dining room. Then there is the family room where  we hang out and watch tv and talk.  When I did crafts, I made the livingroom a workroom, but I'm over that stage...so it's a nice room in case anyone drops over,  aside from the UPS guy or a neighbor once in a great while.

On and we also are in separate ROOMS to watch the specific  tv shows that the other doesn't like.  So ROOMS with doors are helpful.  

Does a maid/cleaning service come with the Fixerupper or Flipflop sale price?  Cuz, daymmmmm, that's alot of house to keep clean!  

And cost of air conditioning and heating!  Yikes! 

On another ironic  cliche for the show... I was at Kirkland s yesterday, which is kind of a decorating store like a country Pier1, and in the parking lot, a couple was unwrapping a giant clock cuz the box wd not fit in their SUV.  Now they just need a few shiplap panels to complete the Waco look. I cant wait for this trend to be over. 

Edited by Tosia
Cuz I keep thinking of more comments.
  • Love 8

You would think with all the distressed properties they find, and the cookie-cutter home improvement model they use, they'd be better off buying the houses themselves and flipping them.  But I think they know they're over-improving for the neighborhood and the equity they claim to add is illusory.

• Love 3

Oh, ha. Jo-Jo was going on about one of tonight's houses (Kristin and Jordan, I think) and how each house is different and each family is different and she doesn't want to repeat herself, but give everyone their unique home. Then, she proceeded to do her usual thing, but this time? Two big-ass clocks! And because it's open plan, you can see them both from the kitchen. Youse guyz!

• Love 2

I saw some rerun or other earlier tonight, and Joanna was hanging a sort of collage of FIVE clocks. 

I do enjoy the show, but mainly for the vibe between Chip and Joanna. I like them. 

Add me to those who do not like the whole "open concept" thing. I do not want to see my crapped-up kitchen from the dining room, in particular. 

• Love 2

What is it with the clocks?!  Clocks and some type of words or letters on the wall somewhere. 

I finally saw the episode the other night where the couple go to Chip and Joanna's house and they absolutely hate it.  It was so funny to see the look on Joanna's face,  she's so used to everyone gushing about her house that she didn't know how to react.    

I didn't blame the couple at all for hating her house. I hate the "distressed" look,  I don't understand taking something new and scuffing it up to make it look old. If something is naturally that way it's different but to purposely make something look old is beyond me. 

• Love 7
(edited)
On 3/3/2016 at 1:59 PM, auntie thesis said:

I know that those dresses the girls wear are probably expensive boutique pieces or expensive Etsy purchases and I wonder: why pay that much for hideous? They look like ragamuffin castoffs from a 70s afterschool special most of the time. And please, brush their hair or get it cut. Both girls tend to look like they are badly in need of a shower and haircare, STAT.

Confession:

I think that 3 out of 4 Gaines kids got hit with the ugly stick. You can decide who they are. :P

[snip] Isn't it bad enough that children have to deal the the hurtful things said by their peers, who usually don't know any better?  At least they have an excuse.  I would expect a grown adult to know better.  I think their kids are adorable and they look like real kids, not made up perfectly for tv. 

What is wrong with some people?

[snip]

Edited by Queasy-bo
Poster was asked to edit, and didn't
  • Love 12

While I don't particularly like Joanna's decorating choices, the remodeling finishes look fine to me. As for the open concept trend, I have it now on the first floor of my house and wouldn't want it again. The kitchen is visible from almost every room on the first floor. Now I'm faced with an expensive update because the kitchen, while functional, is looking too dated to be so prominently located. 

I watch this show occasionally because of Joanna. Chip gets on my nerves, acting like a nine-year-old. Those knit shirts aren't doing him any favors either now that his boobs are as big as his wife's. 

• Love 2
On 6/8/2016 at 10:59 PM, Talky Tina said:

What is it with the clocks?!  Clocks and some type of words or letters on the wall somewhere. 

I finally saw the episode the other night where the couple go to Chip and Joanna's house and they absolutely hate it.  It was so funny to see the look on Joanna's face,  she's so used to everyone gushing about her house that she didn't know how to react.    

I didn't blame the couple at all for hating her house. I hate the "distressed" look,  I don't understand taking something new and scuffing it up to make it look old. If something is naturally that way it's different but to purposely make something look old is beyond me. 

Which one was that?  I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

• Love 2
(edited)

I am also not feeling the "distressed look".  Maybe a piece or two, but not EVERYTHING.  

I like the show well enough.  I always like seeing transformations, but after watching so many episodes I can visualize the finished product before the big reveal.

I also wish Joanna would incorporate the owner's furniture in the design.  That is how the house will look when they move in.

Also, the lack of window coverings, while it does look pretty, is totally unrealistic.  They obviously choose a time of day to film where there is no direct sunlight pouring in, but huge uncovered windows with the sun streaming in would make the rooms unbearably hot, and the glare on the predominantly white walls would be crazy.  This is Texas.  

I am realistic enough to realize that these HGTV shows are scripted.  I just wish they would show a little bit of variety- I am so tired of white or very dark cabinets, and marble countertops.  Marble is incredibly delicate, and if you actually use the kitchen it is not a good choice at all.

DH and I redid our kitchen 2 years ago.  We chose cognac stained maple cabinets that do not have Shaker-style doors, and a granite with a lot of movement that picks up on the tones of the cabinets.  We love it, and it does not look like every other kitchen out there.  I wish some of these shows would show that there are, in fact, lots of other choices out there.  

I used to enjoy "Spice Up My Kitchen".  There was so much variety- you never knew what direction they would choose.  I found it very entertaining.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 5

I happened to run across a couple articles the other day that gave me a good laugh and though y'all might enjoy them.

First is "I Hate the Open-Plan Kitchen—and Amazingly, I’m No Longer the Only One" at http://www.realtor.com/advice/home-improvement/open-plan-kitchens-are-bad/

And then there is this one that could have been written with Fixer Upper in mind, "Say Goodbye to These 10 Home Design Trends That Are So 2015" at http://www.realtor.com/advice/home-improvement/say-goodbye-to-these-10-home-design-trends-that-are-so-2015/. The 'trends' include many of JoJo's signature items like open shelving in the kitchen and her ubiquitous writing on the walls. Too funny! 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/8/2016 at 9:59 PM, Talky Tina said:

I finally caught that episode today.  It's so freakin' cluttered - every bit of wall space is filled with letters spelling out fARm or FamiLy or loVE.  Broken clocks galore.  Mason jars filled with twee little wildflowers. Plus reclaimed everything.  It's exhausting, and it would make me nervous being around that every day. 

Having said that, I thought Joanna did a good job respecting the couple's taste. I much preferred their kitchen to Joanna's.  Very clean lined and modern, but not hard or OTT.  Maybe she learned something? 

Edited by Albino
  • Love 2

Hopefully the new magazine will have a regular feature called Time for Clocks. Joanna can demonstrate the big advantages to using oversized clocks in small places. Because we never would have thought of that ourselves.

• Love 4

Can she also demonstrate how a collection of oversized clocks is better than a single one?  Will it have another regular feature called Banged up Aluminum where she demonstrates how old "distressed" items from the closed down junior high can be used in the modern living room?

Doesn't HGTV have reruns of anything else they can show?  This is on four days a week now.   The same episodes over and over and over.

The vast amount of space in these houses does seem to be there from the beginning.  I can only recall one house that they actually expanded:  the 2br for the missionary couple.  The contrast in home prices in Waco vs what people are paying around here has me watching this show like it's a documentary of a long lost time.  "Remember when you could buy a 4 bedroom house for $130K?  And it wasn't a crack den?  Or next to the railroad?"

• Love 5
3 hours ago, CN42 said:

Hopefully the new magazine will have a regular feature called Time for Clocks. Joanna can demonstrate the big advantages to using oversized clocks in small places. Because we never would have thought of that ourselves.

Or a feature called "Batshit Crazy for Shiplap." Or in honor of the old Ladies Home Journal feature of Can This Marriage be Saved, how about "How to Pretend Your Silly Hubby is Cute."

• Love 5

The contrast in home prices in Waco vs what people are paying around here has me watching this show like it's a documentary of a long lost time.  "Remember when you could buy a 4 bedroom house for $130K?  And it wasn't a crack den?  Or next to the railroad?"

THIS. Around here, I could *maybe* buy a 1 bedroom condo for $130k.  MAYBE.  That one where they were looking at the old house that needed a ton of work and it was like $40k, I almost cried.

• Love 2

I adore Joanna, but 7.99 for a magazine?  Well, it is a quarterly.    I just remembered that I had a broken mini grandfather clock circa 1998, and bought it that way for decor. In my defenses , it didn't have Roman numerals, and I drew the line at a piece of wood art spelling out "boulangerie" or "fromage" for the kitchen. 

But I have never ever Tiffany EVER had any exposed ship lap.

i hope the Gaines come up with fresh ideas.  I like having them on my TV.  

I don't think $7.99 is outrageous for a quarterly magazine; Cottage Journal is $10.99! I do agree however, that if they are going to have to step up their design game. No one wants four magazines full of rooms that are all essentially the same.

• Love 1

I have both a giant island and a farm sink and love them both every day. The sink is wide and deep and I can wash even the largest pots and pans. It's pretty, and when I spill water down the front, which, let's face it, I'm going to do, because I'm a mess in the kitchen, the water cleans up easy and doesn't destroy the bottom cabinets below. Don't ask me how I know. And the island adds flexible workspace to my kitchen. Couldn't imagine being without it. Not to get too off topic, but I designed my kitchen myself during a total renovation of a 1972 "fixer upper" home. This was in 2011, before Fixer Upper, "farmhouse", and shiplap.  Pics can be found here

Edited by dahling
  • Love 10
26 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

Nicely done, Dahling. I really like what I assume is the pocket door next to the refrigerator. 

Going to respond in the small talk thread. :)

On 2/17/2015 at 9:17 AM, fayster said:

A Wacoan speaks up:

Waco has some great old neighborhoods full of houses in need of help. They could do 30 seasons and not run out of possibilities. One of the things I like about the show is that they branch out into all neighborhoods...not just the "good" Waco ones, not just Woodway (which really grew as Waco public schools declined in the 70's). I don't get the need for the house hunter bit. Why spend all that time doing that? Meet the couple at the house they have just purchased and go from there.

One of the great things about Waco is what you see in purchase and renovation costs. Our cost of living is great. When I watch LIOLI I can't even imagine spending what they do on what they get. Totally different ballgame of course. And, as far as the GFCI...it involves more than replacing plugs. I'm no expert but I think it requires special wiring back to the breaker box.

\

Thanks for the comments about Waco.  I've wondered about the neighborhoods.  It seems they are very careful about showing adjoining houses or much of the neighborhood in general unless it's a desirable and in demand area.  There were a couple of episodes featuring run down houses that appeared to be in equally run down areas.  The old realtor axiom comes to mind:  "Location, Location, Location".  Sure they can get the house for cheap and pour thousands into it to make it the "best on the block" but why over renovate when all the surrounding properties are dumps?  No matter, I love the show. 

• Love 1
On 8/3/2016 at 1:13 PM, dahling said:

I have both a giant island and a farm sink and love them both every day. The sink is wide and deep and I can wash even the largest pots and pans. It's pretty, and when I spill water down the front, which, let's face it, I'm going to do, because I'm a mess in the kitchen, the water cleans up easy and doesn't destroy the bottom cabinets below. Don't ask me how I know. And the island adds flexible workspace to my kitchen. Couldn't imagine being without it. Not to get too off topic, but I designed my kitchen myself during a total renovation of a 1972 "fixer upper" home. This was in 2011, before Fixer Upper, "farmhouse", and shiplap.  Pics can be found here

Pretty.  Did you save any of the wallpaper border?  Frame a piece maybe?  :D

• Love 1
On 8/3/2016 at 11:13 AM, dahling said:

That is lovely!  Nice job.

But how do you tell time without a giant clock?  :)

Edited by Albino
  • Love 3

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think this, but these low prices, even if on fixer-uppers and tear downs -- are crazy low.

Here in the DC area, any fixer-upper -- in any neighborhood where I'd want to live -- would be at least 200K -- and need at least 200K worth of work. And that's a big maybe on the the low end.

Also I do hate that al HGTV remodeling shows have the "afters" staged with new furniture -- AND it's never made clear whether that was part of the budget or not. On the show itself, whether Fixer Upper or Love it or List it….or an older show like Devine Design, it's never explicitly clear whether the FINISHED LOOK we as the viewers see, all of it, was done for the homeowner's stated budget.

We're told the budget is XYZ, then we're told that the homeowners can't get XYZ done, that would actually be part of the bones of a house, like the bathroom, YET we see new furniture. Well, I think the VIEWERS should be told, all this new furniture, wasn't part of the budget. Because I'm thinking, forget all the staging, give me the finished basement I wanted and put my perfectly good furniture in this new house.

As a matter of fact I think THAT should be one premise of the show, fix the house up, but put the owner's furniture back in to show that fixing the HOUSE is what matters. Why can't the show be part fixer upper -- part Decorating Cents, or Design on a Dime…where you decorated by rearranging what you already have.

Edited by selhars
  • Love 7

Also I do hate that al HGTV remodeling shows have the "afters" staged with new furniture -- AND it's never made clear whether that was part of the budget or not. On the show itself, whether Fixer Upper or Love it or List it….or an older show like Devine Design, it's never explicitly clear whether the FINISHED LOOK we as the viewers see, all of it, was done for the homeowner's stated budget.

My understanding is that it's not the homeowner's furniture and it's not part of the budget.  (The only exceptions are where something is custom built for the home, or - on rare occasions - if the homeowner has really nice furniture to begin with that they include in the final design.  I've seen a couple of LIOLI where they used the homeowner's fancy antiques.)  Depending on the show, I think they have an option to buy the stuff at some discount.  But still: I think you're right - all of it is really sketchy on the actual budget and the actual numbers and what's included and not.  

My own personal pet peeve is when they list the purchase price (or appraised value), the reno budget and then the new value and they're all, "So you increased the value of your house by $150,000!" Um, no.  You only increased the value by the difference between the "new value" the reno budget and most of the time, no matter how much work they do, that only seems to be $10-20k unless they're working on a million dollar house to start with.

• Love 1

What are you saying??? Are they really not "upside right"?  

That annoys me as well.  Location drives value, and no matter how much ship lap they uncover,  home value isn't driven by renovations.   Though I certainly am not an expert professional on the Waco market.   Or any market for that matter. 

• Love 4