Type keyword(s) to search

2019 Auditions, Finals, and Training Camp Spoilers

Drogo
  • Start Topic

I love Hannah and think she is a beautiful, eloquent dancer...but I’m not impressed with that solo.  Very heavy and, I hate to even use this word, clunky. 

• Love 3

Um...what!!?!?!

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere on this board before.  But it's the first time I am seeing this!!  Does VK have a job already with the cowboys and COWBOYS FIT of all places? 😂

image1 (30).jpeg

image1 (30) copy.jpeg

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, KickPretty said:

I got too far behind with reading.  I’m sure it’s posted somewhere, but can someone tell me what vets were cut? 😞

just Gabby

16 minutes ago, TUOwl84 said:

Um...what!!?!?!

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere on this board before.  But it's the first time I am seeing this!!  Does VK have a job already with the cowboys and COWBOYS FIT of all places? 😂

image1 (30).jpeg

image1 (30) copy.jpeg

these are from last year

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, TUOwl84 said:

I see that Amanda Dilks is from my area (Philadelphia).  Malena was too.

Goes to show how long it's been since I watched the Flyers, I had no idea there was such a thing as "Flyers Girls."  Does that mean she wasn't even good enough for The Eagles? 😱 😄 

11 hours ago, LaurenBrook said:

Sad about Lacey and Cassidy

Me too 😢 

(edited)

Love these 3. They're gorgeous! They're not featured enough. Maybe now that Kash and Lacey are gone, we will see the rest of the team featured a little more through the show and social media 

Edited by JayDKay
  • Love 14

I am finally caught up with my reading!

Gabby - I rewatched Ep 1 of last season and Kelli really didn't like her.  She hated her feet and didn't think she represented her resume.  Kelli sometimes doesn't get over things.  

Lacey - In interviews her last book was 50 Shades.  I truly wonder if KJC didn't have an off camera discussion about how a girl that said that shouldn't represent the DCC.

Candidate who looks like Judy/Joan rivers - so she didn't make it?  Because of her face?  And we all said she looks like Judy?  I know it is current Judy, but current Judy is still beautiful!!  Ha, wonder if Judy reads the forums.  That would have to hurt, right?

• Love 8
(edited)
19 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

She said she answers questions when she is tagged.

Like Beetlejuice. Or Candyman. Or Freddie Krueger. Or the Cracken. Or Bloody Mary. 😀

Edited by MavisL
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, loveanddcc said:

What I am saying is that K&J cut girls based on pointed feet and turnout all the time. If you don’t have years of dance training in which you developed the very tiny muscles that allow you make those very tiny corrections, that increases the chance that you will be cut or not chosen for TC. And having that training... is very much correlated with race at this time in this country, largely bc it requires money and a parent who can spend most nights at a dance studio with their kid. So there is an intersection here between race, socioeconomics, and the dance industry that creates barriers for WOC. That’s all. Of course most fans really cannot tell the difference between a trained and an untrained dancer, but it’s not the fans who pick the team

This is a terrific explanation of the inherent barriers to entry into the DCC, and the impact on squad diversity. 

Another variable is the relative mean standard of dance ability of DCC classes over the years.  The “Daughters of the Sexual Revolution” movie showed how a novice dancer Toni Washington could be nurtured from auditions to game time.  The routines were less technically challenging making it easier for staff to field a diverse group.  It appears that the candidate quality has grown significantly over the years—even over the 13 years of MTT.   The quality barrier taken with the economic barriers to meet it will likely yield less diverse teams until the next generation of well-heeled DFW latinas and mixed race children become audition eligible.

Another barrier is DCC style.  Who the hell is doing that and why would WOC default to training it?

Edited by DCCFan197605
Slight edit to movie title.
  • Love 8
(edited)
19 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

I guess that solves the mystery. Didn't that Tiffany girl who was documenting it say it was a vet who was late? I give Raven credit for still showing up for finals.  Surprised they let her perform her solo ( I'm assuming she did) even though she didn't do the interview. Also give her credit for admitting why she was late. I guess it's better to put it out here than try and hide it. I wonder if she'll try again next year?

I think she said one person was late...I never saw vet or rookie candidate specified... and Lauren was originally in her panel group...so when Lauren retired, it only left her and one other in her panel interview. She said they were asked about 8 questions each...poor girl. 

Edited by Kayce
9 hours ago, loveanddcc said:

DFW has a huge AA and Latino population. We are one of the most diverse cities in America. There IS a market for COC (cheerleaders of color). Cowboys fans want to see COC dancing on the team bc they are beautiful and they represent US. 

I don’t think K&J have intentional or conscious bias. And I am definitely not saying all of the white girls are great technical dancers bc they aren’t. 🤣 What I am saying is that K&J cut girls based on pointed feet and turnout all the time. If you don’t have years of dance training in which you developed the very tiny muscles that allow you make those very tiny corrections, that increases the chance that you will be cut or not chosen for TC. And having that training... is very much correlated with race at this time in this country, largely bc it requires money and a parent who can spend most nights at a dance studio with their kid. So there is an intersection here between race, socioeconomics, and the dance industry that creates barriers for WOC. That’s all. Of course most fans really cannot tell the difference between a trained and an untrained dancer, but it’s not the fans who pick the team.

To be clear, I’m not suggesting (don’t want to speak for anyone else) that there aren’t socioeconomic reasons for why greater percentages of white girls may partake in formal dance training than woc, which in turn affects rosters, on a macro level. I certainly agree that there are. Dance training can be expensive, and there are clear wealth and income disparities in this country. What I am saying is that 1) you can’t remove the preferences of the decisionmakers for certain looks from the ppl who make the team and those who show up in the first place, and 2) socioeconomic reasons don’t explain why the DCCs only have 3 black girls (thats the biggest regression Imo) in training camp. 

There are many, many middle class, upper middle class, and wealthy black families who can afford to send their daughters to dance class, and others who are talented enough to not need uber expensive dance classes from age 3 in order to dance in the DCC style. The talented black dancers are out there. Many other pro teams (NBA and NFL) have them. Why don’t the DCCs - the so called America’s Team? Even going to other levels and types of dancing -do you think Alvin Ailey, or the Hamilton productions, or Beyonce, etc, are having to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find a diverse array of dancers? The groups that make diversity a priority are finding the people.

I don’t know what the numbers of applicants for the DCCs look like. It’s possible that far fewer woc showed up the last few years for no discernible reason. It’s possible that the DCCs had a bigger focus in the past on diversity than they do now (wouldn’t surprise me in the current political climate). It’s also possible that fewer woc will continue to show up. People want to be successful. If they think directors for other teams are more likely to take girls who like them, they’ll go there. I obviously don’t have all the answers.

With that said, I’ll move on. Unless Kelli or Shelly or someone else addresses the issue (which is highly unlikely), this will just continue to be an issue that lurks in the background. Diversity on the DCCs is not the biggest issue in the world or country by any means, but representation always matters.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, JayDKay said:

Love these 3. They're gorgeous! They're not featured enough. Maybe now that Kash and Lacey are gone, we will see the rest of the team featured a little more through the show and social media 

If I could post her to the 50 yard line I would, but I am afraid it doesn't work like to that. So, just for the heck of it: Jalyn for point! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, Ninamags said:

I think the beautiful Kat is going to have to go back to her darker hair color. She’s stunning.  

Agree.  She’s beautiful either way, but next level stunning with the dark hair. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Opine said:

Candidate who looks like Judy/Joan rivers - so she didn't make it?  Because of her face?  And we all said she looks like Judy?  I know it is current Judy, but current Judy is still beautiful!!  Ha, wonder if Judy reads the forums.  That would have to hurt, right?

I'd feel really bad if it did hurt Judy 😞  I'm one who mentioned that I thought Gracie looked like Judy, but it was just an observation...Cassie must look like her dad because I think Gracie looks more like Judy than Cassie does 🙂

• Love 3

Am I the only one that actually thinks VK looks alarmingly underweight? 

It’s more her face and alarms that I find concerning! She looks gaunt! 

Anyone would look gaunt and exhausted holding up that head of haystack all day.  Fairly certain her typical eating habits will have her alarmingly DCC soft in no time. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kayce said:

I think she said two were late, and it only left her and one other in her panel interview. 

No. She said a vet retired (Lauren) and another candidate was running late and missed the interview. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I'd feel really bad if it did hurt Judy 😞  I'm one who mentioned that I thought Gracie looked like Judy, but it was just an observation...Cassie must look like her dad because I think Gracie looks more like Judy than Cassie does 🙂

I think Judy is adorable, and looks 20 years younger than she is.  Meanwhile, this girl looks as much like Joan Rivers than Judy, and looks 20 years OLDER than her age.  

• Love 5

victoriaakalina

I love you so much my beautiful sis 💕 looking forward to spending the summer with you!

haleyanderson93

@victoriaakalina love you!!! 

Victoria calls her sis so Charlotte probably thinks of her as her daughter.

Ashley kissing up in her comment.

ashleyahancock

Had so much fun!!! Love ya can’t wait to see you soon 🤗💕

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, 5678Pixie said:

victoriaakalina

I love you so much my beautiful sis 💕 looking forward to spending the summer with you!

haleyanderson93

@victoriaakalina love you!!! 

Victoria calls her sis so Charlotte probably thinks of her as her daughter.

Ashley kissing up in her comment.

ashleyahancock

Had so much fun!!! Love ya can’t wait to see you soon 🤗💕

Wow Haley got the short end of the DNA stick. Either that or Haley is what Charlotte looked like before having everything done to her face.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

Wild theory, but there's a possibility that people actually LIKE Victoria as a person and aren't just sucking up to her. Shocking that everyone doesn't hate her I'm sure. 🙄

Exactly, but that goes against the need to put everyone into a “good” or “bad” box. I’m sure there are lots of people who don’t like her and resent the favoritism that she receives, just as I’m sure she has friends who actually like and enjoy being around her.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, KatieC said:

No. She said a vet retired (Lauren) and another candidate was running late and missed the interview. 

I corrected it 

7 minutes ago, Jennv said:

Wow Haley got the short end of the DNA stick. Either that or Haley is what Charlotte looked like before having everything done to her face.

If Charlotte had work done, she needs her money back.  

• LOL 5
24 minutes ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

Wild theory, but there's a possibility that people actually LIKE Victoria as a person and aren't just sucking up to her. Shocking that everyone doesn't hate her I'm sure. 🙄

I like Victoria...but I started following her at least two years prior to her trying out for DCC last season.  I've sent her a few messages and she's always responded.  She has been humble and kind in all of her responses, so I do not have the animosity that so many seem to have built up.  I think she is a beautiful young lady, who is boisterous and high energy...she is a beautiful dancer, and I am rooting for her to make it. 

1 hour ago, KatieC said:

you must have copied me as I was making my correction 😉 I had forgotten the part about her saying one had retired and one was late.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

I don't think she looked like Judy...at all. I'm the one who said Joan Rivers. 

• LOL 5
28 minutes ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

Agree. Why would you favorite, give special treatment, and entitle someone you disliked? They love her. VK MTT part 2.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

If Judy reads this, I think she knows you and I and half of Primetimerdom think she is GORGEOUS, has the most amazing hair EVER and generally adorable clothes.  

• Love 13
(edited)
2 hours ago, Jess14 said:

To be clear, I’m not suggesting (don’t want to speak for anyone else) that there aren’t socioeconomic reasons for why greater percentages of white girls may partake in formal dance training than woc, which in turn affects rosters, on a macro level. I certainly agree that there are. Dance training can be expensive, and there are clear wealth and income disparities in this country. What I am saying is that 1) you can’t remove the preferences of the decisionmakers for certain looks from the ppl who make the team and those who show up in the first place, and 2) socioeconomic reasons don’t explain why the DCCs only have 3 black girls (thats the biggest regression Imo) in training camp. 

There are many, many middle class, upper middle class, and wealthy black families who can afford to send their daughters to dance class, and others who are talented enough to not need uber expensive dance classes from age 3 in order to dance in the DCC style. The talented black dancers are out there. Many other pro teams (NBA and NFL) have them. Why don’t the DCCs - the so called America’s Team? Even going to other levels and types of dancing -do you think Alvin Ailey, or the Hamilton productions, or Beyonce, etc, are having to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find a diverse array of dancers? The groups that make diversity a priority are finding the people.

I don’t know what the numbers of applicants for the DCCs look like. It’s possible that far fewer woc showed up the last few years for no discernible reason. It’s possible that the DCCs had a bigger focus in the past on diversity than they do now (wouldn’t surprise me in the current political climate). It’s also possible that fewer woc will continue to show up. People want to be successful. If they think directors for other teams are more likely to take girls who like them, they’ll go there. I obviously don’t have all the answers.

With that said, I’ll move on. Unless Kelli or Shelly or someone else addresses the issue (which is highly unlikely), this will just continue to be an issue that lurks in the background. Diversity on the DCCs is not the biggest issue in the world or country by any means, but representation always matters.

This post >>>> 

I totally agree that women from all backgrounds should be represented, but the fact is that there are several plausible reasons for the decline in diversity on DCC in recent years. You stated them perfectly. There are always the socioeconomic barriers that oftentimes affect minority populations in this country which keeps some women from getting the dance training required for DCC. Fewer WOC could be auditioning for DCC in general and this could be due to a plethora of reasons (want to be on a team with more diversity, purely coincidental, etc.) Or, it could be the fact that TPTB are not as focused on the diversity aspect as they were a few seasons ago. The point is...we don't know and the chances of anyone coming on here to confirm or deny our guesses are slim to none. 

That being said, we should also not be taking mediocre dancers just to add diversity to the squad. Trust me, I would like to see more than the "barbie" type represented on the team, but if those are the girls who are the best dancers who can perform the DCC style, then so be it. I wouldn't want them to put dancers on the squad who are going to make them look worse just because they add diversity to the squad. 

Edited by dccfan33
typo
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, dccfan33 said:

This post >>>> 

I totally agree that women from all backgrounds should be represented, but the fact is that there are several plausible reasons for the decline in diversity on DCC in recent years. You stated them perfectly. There are always the socioeconomic barriers that oftentimes affect minority populations in this country which keeps some women from getting the dance training required for DCC. Fewer WOC could be auditioning for DCC in general and this could be due to a plethora of reasons (want to be on a team with more diversity, purely coincidental, etc.) Or, it could be the fact that TPTB are not as focused on the diversity aspect as they were a few seasons ago. The point is...we don't know and the chances of anyone coming on here to confirm or deny our guesses are slim to none. 

That being said, we should also not be taking mediocre dancers just to add diversity to the squad. Trust me, I would like to see more than the "barbie" type represented on the team, but if those are the girls who are the best dancers who can perform the DCC style, then so be it. I wouldn't want them to put dancers on the squad who are going to make them look worse just because they add diversity to the squad. 

There are SEVERAL mediocre dancers who are white on the DCC. Not going to out them, though. 

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, BringItOn said:

There are SEVERAL mediocre dancers who are white on the DCC. Not going to out them, though. 

I agree that there are as well. 

The point of my post was to say that we don't know the reasons for decrease in squad diversity over recent years, so people shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions about why it is.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, dccfan33 said:

This post >>>> 

I stated it before and will say it again—I think Malena was kept as long as she was at least in part as an attempt to add diversity. In the end she continued to have lots of issues but they gave her every chance to make it. In her case it wasn’t being a mediocre dancer, but memory mistakes. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, TUOwl84 said:

Um...what!!?!?!

image1 (30).jpeg

image1 (30) copy.jpeg

Her Facebook page says that she works at Cowboys Fit so it looks like she DOES in fact work there.

• Useful 1
5 minutes ago, ThatSlaps said:

I agree that there are as well. 

The point of my post was to say that we don't know the reasons for decrease in squad diversity over recent years, so people shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions about why it is.

In addition, we have candidates who have all the  training, choreographers, connections that daddy can buy yet have skills that have plateaued in middle school. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
Just now, BringItOn said:

In addition, we have candidates who have all the  training, choreographers, connections that daddy can buy yet have skills that have plateaued in middle school. 

I'm not disagreeing with you. There are current girls on the squad who I don't believe deserve to be there, and there will most likely be more in the future. 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, KatieC said:

I stated it before and will say it again—I think Malena was kept as long as she was at least in part as an attempt to add diversity. In the end she continued to have lots of issues but they gave her every chance to make it. In her case it wasn’t being a mediocre dancer, but memory mistakes. 

As much as they were toxic, I have to admit that the team lost there spice and flavor when Jenna, Cersten, Keryra, Robin, and now Kayln left. I mean come on Maddie the Mormon is now the "hip hop" go to girl?

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, dccfan33 said:

This post >>>> 

I think there are a couple of additional reasons for the low WOC count (and this holds true for the declining number of white girls, too).  First, the whole yes ma'am attitude just doesn't fly with every girl these days.  Not every girl in every household is raised with that attitude, and it is truly hard to fake it when you are an adult/young adult.  Many young women today are being raised to speak up and have their voices heard.  That just isn't the DCC culture.  Also, the style of dance that the DCC does is problematic and many of you have alluded to it.  Peppy pom doesn't necessarily challenge or appeal to all dancers.  They may see the more current dances being done by other teams and in other sports and go that direction just to have more fun dancing.  If there goal is to be a backup dancer someday, it just isn't relevant experience.

Case in point, I don't know that two of my favorites (both non-WOCs) - Meredith and Kristin -  will make it because of the attitude thing.  Meredith is a little free spirited as we saw last year.  And Kristin is out there doing important work with ASL and her mission work.  When all is said and done, she may not be comfortable with Kelli telling her a Dunkin' Donuts appearance is more important that some of her other work.  

It's just not a culture that is right for everyone or will make them happy.  And I believe it is the culture, not overt racism that may be limiting the WOC from applying.

• Useful 1
  • Love 22
22 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

I guess that solves the mystery. Didn't that Tiffany girl who was documenting it say it was a vet who was late? I give Raven credit for still showing up for finals.  Surprised they let her perform her solo ( I'm assuming she did) even though she didn't do the interview. Also give her credit for admitting why she was late. I guess it's better to put it out here than try and hide it. I wonder if she'll try again next year?

3 hours ago, Kayce said:

I think she said one person was late...I never saw vet or rookie candidate specified... and Lauren was originally in her panel group...so when Lauren retired, it only left her and one other in her panel interview. She said they were asked about 8 questions each...poor girl. 

What was said since I'm the one who posted about Tiffany Talieferro's live if anyone at the time wanted to listen to it:

Tiffany Taliaferro has quite a lot posted on her Insta story.  Said they were taking them in groups of 4 but since one veteran recently retired (must be Lauren) and another candidate was late (yikes), it only ended up being her and Madeline.  She did say she felt the interview went well even though instead of a few questions, they each were asked about 8 since it was only the two of them.

So she specified a veteran had recently retired which must have been Lauren.  The one who was late was never specified as a veteran, but another candidate.  We now know who the candidate was so hopefully this clarifies everything.

• Love 1