Type keyword(s) to search

2019 Auditions, Finals, and Training Camp Spoilers

Drogo
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, Opine said:

I think there are a couple of additional reasons for the low WOC count (and this holds true for the declining number of white girls, too).  First, the whole yes ma'am attitude just doesn't fly with every girl these days.  Not every girl in every household is raised with that attitude, and it is truly hard to fake it when you are an adult/young adult.  Many young women today are being raised to speak up and have their voices heard.  That just isn't the DCC culture.  Also, the style of dance that the DCC does is problematic and many of you have alluded to it.  Peppy pom doesn't necessarily challenge or appeal to all dancers.  They may see the more current dances being done by other teams and in other sports and go that direction just to have more fun dancing.  If there goal is to be a backup dancer someday, it just isn't relevant experience.

Case in point, I don't know that two of my favorites (both non-WOCs) - Meredith and Kristin -  will make it because of the attitude thing.  Meredith is a little free spirited as we saw last year.  And Kristin is out there doing important work with ASL and her mission work.  When all is said and done, she may not be comfortable with Kelli telling her a Dunkin' Donuts appearance is more important that some of her other work.  

It's just not a culture that is right for everyone or will make them happy.  And I believe it is the culture, not overt racism that may be limiting the WOC from applying.

Well said!! 

• Love 3

I am completely neutral on Victoria. In my opinion, she is good but not necessarily top 36 good. I believe her connections will push her from a ranking of 40-something up to 30-something and that will help her make the team. That’s how life works. She will be a perfectly fine DCC.

Was there too much Victoria on the show last season? Arguably. Was there too much Victoria discussion on the boards? Hell yes. Her name gets inserted into every conversation on every topic. “A looks sad.” “She’s probably sad because VK will make the team.” “B looks soft.” “Not as soft as VK.” “C got cut from training camp.” “TK bribed Kelli to make space for VK.” Ugh, it’s like having to scroll through 897 requests for PMs every day. We need a No VK Talk thread like the GoT No Book Talk thread.

• LOL 2
  • Love 19
10 minutes ago, go4luca said:

So she specified a veteran had recently retired which must have been Lauren.  The one who was late was never specified as a veteran, but another candidateWe now know who the candidate was so hopefully this clarifies everything.

Someone remind me please? I haven't seen this mentioned yet.  Sorry...I'm blind 😦

1 minute ago, Law Mom said:

We need a No VK Talk thread like the GoT No Book Talk thread.

Please?

Just now, nittanyvolleyball said:

Raven Elise posted that she was late for her interview due to an accident

Thanks. No wonder I didn't see it if it wasn't mentioned on here.  I'm not good with sites like Instagram.

1 minute ago, ByTor said:

LOL Raven.

See my recent reply 🙂

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Law Mom said:

I am completely neutral on Victoria. In my opinion, she is good but not necessarily top 36 good. I believe her connections will push her from a ranking of 40-something up to 30-something and that will help her make the team. That’s how life works. She will be a perfectly fine DCC.

Was there too much Victoria on the show last season? Arguably. Was there too much Victoria discussion on the boards? Hell yes. Her name gets inserted into every conversation on every topic. “A looks sad.” “She’s probably sad because VK will make the team.” “B looks soft.” “Not as soft as VK.” “C got cut from training camp.” “TK bribed Kelli to make space for VK.” Ugh, it’s like having to scroll through 897 requests for PMs every day. We need a No VK Talk thread like the GoT No Book Talk thread.

THIS

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, ThatSlaps said:

This post >>>> 

That being said, we should also not be taking mediocre dancers just to add diversity to the squad. Trust me, I would like to see more than the "barbie" type represented on the team, but if those are the girls who are the best dancers who can perform the DCC style, then so be it. I wouldn't want them to put dancers on the squad who are going to make them look worse just because they add diversity to the squad. 

Totally agree. I’m not advocating for standards to be lowered.  I’m glad that Malena was cut last year and didn’t make it this year because she didn’t have the dance ability. However, I don’t think that having a more diverse team is correlated with a weaker team. It hasn’t been in the past. The AA girls have tended to be among the best dancers on the team (Jasmine excluded). The fact that Malena and Alexandra get brought up a lot - 2 girls who did NOT ultimately make it - speaks volumes about the talent level of the AA girls. Looking at woc more broadly, you get more mixed results but no more than when looking at the team as a whole, which has also had several strugglers and mediocre dancers who are white.

9 minutes ago, Opine said:

I think there are a couple of additional reasons for the low WOC count (and this holds true for the declining number of white girls, too).  First, the whole yes ma'am attitude just doesn't fly with every girl these days.  Not every girl in every household is raised with that attitude, and it is truly hard to fake it when you are an adult/young adult.  Many young women today are being raised to speak up and have their voices heard.  That just isn't the DCC culture.  Also, the style of dance that the DCC does is problematic and many of you have alluded to it.  Peppy pom doesn't necessarily challenge or appeal to all dancers.  They may see the more current dances being done by other teams and in other sports and go that direction just to have more fun dancing.  If there goal is to be a backup dancer someday, it just isn't relevant experience.

Case in point, I don't know that two of my favorites (both non-WOCs) - Meredith and Kristin -  will make it because of the attitude thing.  Meredith is a little free spirited as we saw last year.  And Kristin is out there doing important work with ASL and her mission work.  When all is said and done, she may not be comfortable with Kelli telling her a Dunkin' Donuts appearance is more important that some of her other work.  

It's just not a culture that is right for everyone or will make them happy.  And I believe it is the culture, not overt racism that may be limiting the WOC from applying.

I definitely think that the culture of DCCs could be a reason for declining numbers overall and particularly diversity. I certainly wouldn’t want what I can say and do being dictated by Jerry Jones and Charlotte.  

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, Law Mom said:

We need a No VK Talk thread like the GoT No Book Talk thread.

*chairfall*

Another GOT fan.  I knew there was a reason I liked you.   Too funny!

• Love 3
Just now, Jess14 said:

I don’t think that having a more diverse team is correlated with a weaker team.

I don't think anybody is suggesting that; my take on what is meant is that they should not take a weak dancer just for the sake of making the team diverse, not that making the team diverse will therefore make it weaker.

I will say, though, that yes they have taken weak dancers because they like their look, and that will weaken your team (Savannah immediately comes to mind).

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, Opine said:

This 100%. That's why I have decided not to fly across the world and try out now. I've always been taught to take criticism but speak your mind when you disagree with something. Moving from the UK to the US, especially Texas, would be a huge culture shock for me. I'm a polite, gracious individual but everything seems very old-fashioned. I always cringed back when Cassie called Taylor out about not practising and Taylor responded and they weren't happy with that. Now I think, yes good for you because you have to defend yourself! 

It seems they want a team of yes mans (or m'ams) rather than individuals. And I couldn't work alongside Rachel W every day, I have no time for some of her backwards opinions. Yes, each to their own but she's been very vocal on social media about her thoughts.

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I don't think anybody is suggesting that; my take on what is meant is that they should not take a weak dancer just for the sake of making the team diverse, not that making the team diverse will therefore make it weaker.

I will say, though, that yes they have taken weak dancers because they like their look, and that will weaken your team (Savannah immediately comes to mind).

Yes, you hit it on the head! I was not implying that making the team more diverse will make it weaker. And they certainly have taken weak dancers because of their look like Savannah and "pretty Emily" from seasons ago that did one season and then was essentially told not to reaudition.

There are just so many unknowns when its comes to the diversity issue and aside from Shelly or TPTB coming on here and confirming or denying our suspicions, I don't think we will ever know the truth.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, ThatSlaps said:

And they certainly have taken weak dancers because of their look like Savannah and "pretty Emily" from seasons ago that did one season and then was essentially told not to reaudition.

Very true...although playing devil's advocate, on the flip side I can certainly see why people are disgusted.  They'll take weak-sauce Savannah, so why not give a WOC who's not the best a shot?

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Very true...although playing devil's advocate, on the flip side I can certainly see why people are disgusted.  They'll take weak-sauce Savannah, so why not give a WOC who's not the best a shot?

Definitely a fair point! 

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, ThatSlaps said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. There are current girls on the squad who I don't believe deserve to be there, and there will most likely be more in the future. 

I'm on the same page.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I didn’t intend m to imply that it’s what the poster meant, so I hope it didn’t come off that way. I definitely believe that there are people who think more diversity means mediocrity, but I didn’t get that at all from the post that I quoted. I’m just pointing that there’s no evidence that the DCCs have in the past or are planning on taking weaker girls just for sake of diversity, and if anything, the more diverse teams have been the better ones. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, MavisL said:

I think that the Dallas Cowboys club has showed us who they are, and yet we don't want to believe them.

They boldly demonstrate their core values: Fight, win, be better, do more, work harder, be tough, suck it up, defend the brand, guard the brand, spin the brand, believe in the brand, give everything you are to the brand.

They've demonstrated without apology (and even with a meddling force) what they value in the projection of their DCC image: be attractive, be young, thin, feminine, submissive, fit in but don't blend, be subservient, be loyal, don't tell brand secrets, be precocious to the point of sass appeal, but not to the point of speaking ones truth. 

They've demonstrated their leadership styles: Tell it like it is, demand more, don't coddle, don't babysit, obey the rules, insist upon absolutes, yes ma'am.

Nowhere in these values or behaviors is there even the pretense of betterment of people of color, of understanding and compassion, of truth and honesty, of lawful and ethical business practices, of the evolution of women's roles beyond show pony and school marm. They make absolutely no attempt to touch on these things, and unless it suits their brand, they won't. I stopped expecting it ages ago. It's eye candy, but I don't respect them and always chuckle a bit when the truth comes out about their various behind-the-scenes misdeeds.  

And touch The Star!

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, MavisL said:

I think that the Dallas Cowboys club has showed us who they are, and yet we don't want to believe them.

They boldly demonstrate their core values: Fight, win, be better, do more, work harder, be tough, suck it up, defend the brand, guard the brand, spin the brand, believe in the brand, give everything you are to the brand.

They've demonstrated without apology (and even with a meddling force) what they value in the projection of their DCC image: be attractive, be young, thin, feminine, submissive, fit in but don't blend, be subservient, be loyal, don't tell brand secrets, be precocious to the point of sass appeal, but not to the point of speaking ones truth. 

They've demonstrated their leadership styles: Tell it like it is, demand more, don't coddle, don't babysit, obey the rules, insist upon absolutes, yes ma'am.

Nowhere in these values or behaviors is there even the pretense of betterment of people of color, of understanding and compassion, of truth and honesty, of lawful and ethical business practices, of the evolution of women's roles beyond show pony and school marm. They make absolutely no attempt to touch on these things, and unless it suits their brand, they won't. I stopped expecting it ages ago. It's eye candy, but I don't respect them and always chuckle a bit when the truth comes out about their various behind-the-scenes misdeeds.  

Give this post 1000+ likes.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

I'd feel really bad if it did hurt Judy 😞  I'm one who mentioned that I thought Gracie looked like Judy, but it was just an observation...Cassie must look like her dad because I think Gracie looks more like Judy than Cassie does 🙂

I don't think Judy really cares what people on this forum say about her.  I think she probably is more offended by some of the harsh comments made about the TCC.

1 hour ago, Kayce said:

I like Victoria...but I started following her at least two years prior to her trying out for DCC last season.  I've sent her a few messages and she's always responded.  She has been humble and kind in all of her responses, so I do not have the animosity that so many seem to have built up.  I think she is a beautiful young lady, who is boisterous and high energy...she is a beautiful dancer, and I am rooting for her to make it. 

I know absolutely nothing about Victoria and don't do social media other than FB.  I do think she is quite attractive and has an incredible amount of energy which may work well with DCC.  

I do hope she earns her spot just like anyone else.  

I have great sympathy for Malena and am glad she is moving on.  I really cannot imagine the guts it takes to perform like these girls do, especially when they are an underdog.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, SanDiegoGal said:

About Gabby... I loved her from last season and am sickened that she was cut. I realize that she has been on "weight warning," but so have a hundred other girls and they were not cut before training camp. In the words of Kitty Carter, doesn't she deserve the respect of time to get her weight in check?

Gabby is absolutely stunning, her dance ability is stronger than many others on the team, and she is a Latina (God forbid we consider representation of a significantly large population that comprises Dallas Cowboys fans). If TPTB are going to cut one returning candidate - and ONLY one returning candidate - then there must be a darn good reason. So, unless they prove to me that Gabby is eating small children with her breakfast cereal, then I'm in protest mode from now on.

Gabby is Filipino (Asian). 😉 I’m really bummed about her cut. I agree with everything you said. She was a standout beauty to me.

• Love 6

Gabby finally addressed her cut:
gabbyluise
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding” Proverbs 3:5

My plan for life looked a little bit different than what the Lord has planned for me; and though it’s hard to understand at times, I trust that He always knows what’s best. I want to say THANK YOU to the Dallas Cowboys and DCC organization for giving me this past year to live out one of my wildest dreams. It turns out, chasing this crazy dream, lead me to 35 of the most talented, smart, and hard working women I so gladly get to call my forever sisters. Thank you guys for always pushing me to be the best version of myself every single day, and supporting me through it all. I’ve never met a group of women who are just as excited (if not more excited) about each other’s success and accomplishments as they are about their own. To the next 36 women that get to wear the boots, don’t forget to soak it all in because it goes by in a blink of an eye. I cannot wait watch y’all SHINE next season! All my love and cheers to everyone who has continuously showed me love and support. I left my heart on that field, but I can’t wait to see where He takes me next on this journey. 💙

gbby.jpg

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Law Mom said:

I think the subject of VK triggers a lot of people's negative experiences with blatant nepotism. VK represents what is wrong with the world and is a microcosm look into the toxicity of cronyism. On a small scale VK is inserted into every comment much like the media does with our current leader. Not being political just being observant.

• Love 23
17 minutes ago, Squeek said:

Gabby finally addressed her cut:
gabbyluise
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding” Proverbs 3:5

My plan for life looked a little bit different than what the Lord has planned for me; and though it’s hard to understand at times, I trust that He always knows what’s best. I want to say THANK YOU to the Dallas Cowboys and DCC organization for giving me this past year to live out one of my wildest dreams. It turns out, chasing this crazy dream, lead me to 35 of the most talented, smart, and hard working women I so gladly get to call my forever sisters. Thank you guys for always pushing me to be the best version of myself every single day, and supporting me through it all. I’ve never met a group of women who are just as excited (if not more excited) about each other’s success and accomplishments as they are about their own. To the next 36 women that get to wear the boots, don’t forget to soak it all in because it goes by in a blink of an eye. I cannot wait watch y’all SHINE next season! All my love and cheers to everyone who has continuously showed me love and support. I left my heart on that field, but I can’t wait to see where He takes me next on this journey. 💙

gbby.jpg

She's a rock star through and through!

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, BringItOn said:

I think the subject of VK triggers a lot of people's negative experiences with blatant nepotism. VK represents what is wrong with the world and is a microcosm look into the toxicity of cronyism. On a small scale VK is inserted into every comment much like the media does with our current leader. Not being political just being observant.

Hear, hear!!!

38 minutes ago, MavisL said:

hopefully she'll relish it.

I hope she does not pickle out!

Just now, scorpio1031 said:

I would also include the basic fact that we've all watched this show for years, we've seen what is expected, we've seen girls get cut and we've seen why, and then last year happened, and we're frustrated and confused as to why it was allowed.  

Completely. The very basic expectations aren't even met. Great point.

• Love 8

I think Keyra was cut for being late twice, snotty attitude which pissed off TPTB and other girls and were part of the mean girl team. Auto Amy could not pick up the dances and seem a little too desperate to make the team. I think she would have been an one and done girl if she did make the squad. If Victoria did learn a lesson about last year and steps up to the plate I will gladly say I am fine with her being on the team. I guess we will see what happens and how TPTB respond to her being in TC this year.

(edited)
1 hour ago, MavisL said:

Brilliant, MavisL! 

I’ve asked myself many times why I indulge in this drivel.

Edited by bombast
Typos
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I think Keyra was cut for being late twice, snotty attitude which pissed off TPTB and other girls and were part of the mean girl team. Auto Amy could not pick up the dances and seem a little too desperate to make the team. I think she would have been an one and done girl if she did make the squad. If Victoria did learn a lesson about last year and steps up to the plate I will gladly say I am fine with her being on the team. I guess we will see what happens and how TPTB respond to her being in TC this year.

LOL I loved Auto Amy, I can't help it. I heard that attitude thing about Keyra but I didn't ever know if it was just talk or if it was truth. My first choice would be to see VK grow and learn from her experiences and bring a better version of herself forth. It'll be interesting to see how it happens. I wonder when they'll have a press release about show dates and times. I don't like the Thursday thing, I miss when they had it on Fridays.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, bombast said:

Brilliant, MavisL! 

I’ve myself many times why I indulge in this drivel.

It is like sitting in heavy traffic while watching a car accident scene or eating potato chips. You know you should stop, but the temptation keeps calling you back. I consider the show my guilty pleasure train wreck.

• Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, bombast said:

Brilliant, MavisL! 

I’ve myself many times why I indulge in this drivel.

haha! Well, I've been a lurker here for quite a little while, and I am all here for the drivel! But like I said, I don't expect anything but corporate-spun snow jobs and smarmy spin from this organization, and I've yet to be disappointed.

Edited by MavisL
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, MavisL said:

My first choice would be to see VK grow and learn from her experiences and bring a better version of herself forth. It'll be interesting to see how it happens. 

Amen to this.  I adore Marshall and although he comes across highly entertaining EXTRA at times, I still think of him as well grounded.  I highly doubt he would be trusted to foster a child if he was not.  If he says VK's shown growth, I'm willing to give her a chance.

Speaking of Marshall, that convo re: VK continued on his IG and thought he handled it quite well.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, bombast said:

I’d rather tell my therapist I enjoy setting fires than admit I watch this retrograde shit.

Seriously dying on this end. 🤣

I can't tell anyone I know.  They'd disown me in a heartbeat.

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
(edited)
6 minutes ago, go4luca said:

Amen to this.  I adore Marshall and although he comes across highly entertaining EXTRA at times, I still think of him as well grounded.  I highly doubt he would be trusted to foster a child if he was not.  If he says VK's shown growth, I'm willing to give her a chance.

Speaking of Marshall, that convo re: VK continued on his IG and thought he handled it quite well.

He fosters a child? I love him even more. What a sweet man. Bet he's an amazing papa. I don't have IG but I'm sure he handled it with style and grace. And like Rita Hayworth, gave good face. 

That was a Madonna reference, BTW.

5 minutes ago, bombast said:

I, too, have lurked for a while...and watched this show off and on since the beginning.

It’s a guilty pleasure to say the least; I’d rather tell my therapist I enjoy setting fires than admit I watch this retrograde shit.

I am in stitches over here. Thank you.

Edited by MavisL
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, go4luca said:

Seriously dying on this end. 🤣

I can't tell anyone I know.  They'd disown me in a heartbeat.

LOL I am the opposite. I tell it loud and proud. It is my true guilty pleasure and I don't even care how judged I am for it.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, bombast said:

I, too, have lurked for a while...and watched this show off and on since the beginning.

It’s a guilty pleasure to say the least; I’d rather tell my therapist I enjoy setting fires than admit I watch this retrograde shit.

Meanwhile at CMT Headquarters: Is this good or bad? Oh well! Who cares! We got the suckers to watch the show!

(edited)

Looks like Rachel W. wasn't the only one to recycle an old solo.  But hey no judgement.  If it's something they haven't seen and all you have to do is polish something you already know well, then I say go for it sister.  #Hannah

Edited by go4luca
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

We'll see if she follows the script.

• Love 2