Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: True Colors

• Start Topic

Tom is cruel..

He knows that Darcey's singular quest is for a proposal.

He mind fucks her by saying that if they had gone to Grand Kareenie that he would have popped the question...dangling it over...what could have been...

Kicking her when she is down and low...she doesn't deserve such callous treatment

Tom is closer proposing to Flouride than to Darcey...

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, Lesia said:

Darcy is so shallow.  She can't seem to have a normal conversation.  Everything has an ulterior motive and it seems she says what she thinks Tom wants to hear, not having the sense to just be natural.  "I thought the market was beautiful...romantic..."  No, it wasn't. It was a market. Where you get souvenirs.  And I had to laugh at her wanting to buy a sweatshirt. Like she wears sweatshirts.  When she's cleaning the house....

LOL, like Darcy cleans the house! You know she has some poor undocumented woman who she pays poorly come in every week and scrub her place from top to bottom. Darcy probably never so much as washes a dish or picks up her dirty clothes off the floor. 

6 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

They're going to end up like the twins that were in the news semi-recently - The Duval sisters who were so close but in such competition with one another, they changed their names to get out of legal trouble (I think?), and the one ended up driving off a cliff killing the other one.  I see it coming.

They remind me of the anorexic twins on "Intervention". Shudder. 

• Love 8
On 9/24/2019 at 11:21 AM, BallisticNikki said:

Always wished I could have been one or had a pair. Lucky!

Yes, definitely, for tears to fall that easily. And it really is sad to me bc she seems like such a genuinely nice person. (And dick chasing aside) she seems like she's a good mom, too.

I'm certain she was very relieved when he assured her, "I work lots of work! I work in the restaurant. I work in the coffee."

Really!? You think it's a wig or plugs?🤣 What makes you think so? I thought for a minute it was a perm. But I don't think so anymore.

Surgery or illness?

I'm starting to rather dislike her dull, humorless, manipulative little self. Ugh. Their entire story is gross and disturbing to watch. (I normally do not pity the White-American-man-who-shops-for-the-poverty-stricken-ethnic-bride-in-a-developing-country. But I do here.) 

I’m also thinking she’s not the innocent blushing virgin that Ben seems to think she is.

He wants to wait till marriage to have sex. She was all cutesy about how Daddy didn’t know she was staying with Ben.

Not liking her.

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, iwasish said:

He wants to wait till marriage to have sex. She was all cutesy about how Daddy didn’t know she was staying with Ben.

I don’t think she’s claiming to be a virgin since she said something about Ben being the first guy who refused to have sex with her. I thought it was funny that she told her father she was going away “on a safari” then she went to the zoo with Ben so I guess that’s her cover story. 

As far as the speculation that she can’t have children, maybe the truth is she just doesn’t LIKE kids or want to be a mother. Nothing wrong with not having maternal instinct and being honest, but if that’s the way she really feels, she’s not the right wife for Ben. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

As far as the speculation that she can’t have children, maybe the truth is she just doesn’t LIKE kids or want to be a mother.

Nothing wrong with not having maternal instinct and being honest, but if that’s the way she really feels, she’s not the right wife for Ben. 

I think you hit the nail on the head.  I think she just doesn't want to be a mother and she really doesn't want to be a stepmom.  

I don't know why, if she feels that way, she would keep going with Ben.  My gut tells me she is hoping that she can get Ben to somehow send Grayson away or that she won't have to be involved with Grayson.  I hope I'm wrong. 

• Love 12
13 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I think I also used it when we were talking about Evelyn the virgin and her Spanish swain, whatever his name was; she and her mother seemed so unnaturally attached to her hometown of Claremont, NH that I wondered if they had a lottery every year.

Throwback! Idyllic Claremont has the best apples! I mean, people come fucking miles for them apples! 

11 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Unrelated but @Delta Blow is such a great username.  So perfect, so beautiful, yesssss.

Thank you. It was a revelation, and I was surprised it was available!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

I think you hit the nail on the head.  I think she just doesn't want to be a mother and she really doesn't want to be a stepmom.  

I don't know why, if she feels that way, she would keep going with Ben.  My gut tells me she is hoping that she can get Ben to somehow send Grayson away or that she won't have to be involved with Grayson.  I hope I'm wrong. 

That's another reason this international thing is a bad choice for Ben.  I don't have kids, I don't want kids, but if I fell in love with a man who had kids, I'd take the time to get to know those particular kids before deciding to spend my life with their dad.  Kids actually are separate people, with wildly different personalities, some easier to live with than others.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, Kangatush said:

That's another reason this international thing is a bad choice for Ben.  I don't have kids, I don't want kids, but if I fell in love with a man who had kids, I'd take the time to get to know those particular kids before deciding to spend my life with their dad.  Kids actually are separate people, with wildly different personalities, some easier to live with than others.

Youre right, the impetus was on Ben to pick a better situation.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

For all Bens talk about his devotion to Grayson, when his female friend asked him what if Grayson didn’t take to Akinyi, Ben seemed shocked about that possibility and mumbled about “ working on it”. Made me question if Grayson would become collateral damage if they did marry. So many if the kids on these shows aren’t a priority. 

Spoiler

Rebeccas  marriage broke up and it appears she made no attempt to  get custody of her child, just started looking for a new young husband. 

Edited by iwasish
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, iwasish said:

For all Bens talk about his devotion to Grayson, when his female friend asked him what if Grayson didn’t take to Akinyi, Ben seemed shocked about that possibility and mumbled about “ working on it”. Made me question if Grayson would become collateral damage if they did marry. So many if the kids on these shows aren’t a priority. 

Rebeccas  marriage broke up and it appears she made no attempt to  get custody of her child, just started looking for a new young husband. 

Truth!  And it begs the question, why was this all important issue of his son and step-parenting not discussed in depth before he traveled all the way to Africa?  

And I just about gagged when he told the elders that God had led him to Akinyi and showed him that was the path he was to be on.

Dude, she responded to an ad you took out on a dating website.  And from the way you described it, an ad that had been up for quite some time with zero responses until Akinyi messaged you.  And you jumped at the first (and apparently only) response you got.  

Ugh, these people stop at nothing to try to justify their piss poor decisions, which I love when they're single idiots, but idiots dragging their children into their shenanigans just irks my cranky old ass.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 18
28 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Yeah, there is never any way for an American to justify "foreign-spouse shopping" when you have a young child/children at home. It's just going to take too much time, money and effort away from the child/children. The US is a huge and populous place; all sorts of potential spouses can be found right here. Often right within the same city. There's clearly more to it than just wanting to meet "someone."

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
54 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

Truth!  And it begs the question, why was this all important issue of his son and step-parenting not discussed in depth before he traveled all the way to Africa?  

I wondered about this too.  The discussion they were having about how to introduce akyini and what the expectations regarding akyini relationship with Grayson seems like a discussion to have had before travelling all the way to another continent.  Especially for a guy who doesn't have a lot of spare time or money.

Akyini seems really put off by the idea of being a stepmother in any real way, but she seems to have known about Grayson's existence so that seems weird too. 

It almost sounded like she was hoping that Ben would agree to shuffle Grayson off or that she wouldn't have to spend anytime alone with Grayson. I just got the impression that Grayson was a fly in her ointment. 

• Love 10

Ben was trolling for a virtuous, virginal, submissive dark skinned beauty that would look to him for everything like he was sitting next to the Almighty.  He probably thought hey its Kenya and I can get this all on a budget.  Little did he know he is now courting the dark skinned beauty that was trolling for white, dumb and rich (cause she said you know he's rich because he's white) and it was probably a slow week.  Can't wait to see next week his shock in his ivory tower.  I only hope Bikini is messy as hell when she's drunk.

Edited by mytmo
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

Akyini seems really put off by the idea of being a stepmother in any real way, but she seems to have known about Grayson's existence so that seems weird too. 

It almost sounded like she was hoping that Ben would agree to shuffle Grayson off or that she wouldn't have to spend anytime alone with Grayson. I just got the impression that Grayson was a fly in her ointment. 

Akyini is just too immature and ridiculous to handle that responsibility. Dealing w/ a school-age child, coparenting w/ the biomom, navigating all the cultural surprises, marriage, maybe getting a job? No, not anytime soon. She can't remind her bf to bring her mother a gift from the airport or tell him why she's crying. She's here for the drama. And come up.

2 hours ago, iwasish said:

Rebecca has a (young) child? I thought only an adult son.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, BallisticNikki said:

Yeah, there is never any way for an American to justify "foreign-spouse shopping" when you have a young child/children at home. It's just going to take too much time, money and effort away from the child/children. The US is a huge and populous place; all sorts of potential spouses can be found right here. Often right within the same city. There's clearly more to it than just wanting to meet "someone."

Ben wants a particular kind of someone. He apparently prefers very dark skinned black women. His first wife was slso very dark skinned. I didn’t realize Akinyi is 29, I thought she was much younger. He should take her at her word that she doesn’t want to be a stepmother or mother. Akinyi isn’t coming to.  the US unless Ben ponies up the bride price. Once it’s paid he’s not getting it back if they don’t marry. So if Grayson and Akinyi don’t get along, Ben is stuck. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, iwasish said:

Ben wants a particular kind of someone. He apparently prefers very dark skinned black women. His first wife was slso very dark skinned. I didn’t realize Akinyi is 29, I thought she was much younger. He should take her at her word that she doesn’t want to be a stepmother or mother. Akinyi isn’t coming to.  the US unless Ben ponies up the bride price. Once it’s paid he’s not getting it back if they don’t marry. So if Grayson and Akinyi don’t get along, Ben is stuck. 

But there are plenty of dark skinned Black women in the US! He does not need to look overseas if that's his preference. And he could avoid the legal fees, bride price and mind games. Is she 29 or 26? Either way, yes, she acts like a bossy, pouting, tyranical little 4 year old.

Did she ever tell him she doesn't want to be a stepmom? Or just her girl friend?

• Love 6
On 9/24/2019 at 1:30 PM, Mr. Minor said:

The hell van from Albania is probably nausea inducing. But it probably smells like a rose garden compared to Grangela's trailer.

Big Ang’s trailer smells like B.O., Marlboro reds, unemptied snuff buckets, spilled night train, and curing muskrat furs. Probably some puke too. Definitely puke. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, iwasish said:

Akinyi is 29???  And the village has to decide weather to let her marry Ben.  Heck he should ask for money.  I bet there's more to Akinyi we don't know about.  She's no babe in the woods!

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Big Ang’s trailer smells like B.O., Marlboro reds, unemptied snuff buckets, spilled night train, and curing muskrat furs. Probably some puke too. Definitely puke. 

With an overlay of Jean Nate and incense.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, BallisticNikki said:

Who was the young woman she was negligee shopping with, her daughter or DIL? 

I do have to give Ben credit for not telling Grayson about Akinyi before meeting her. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, BallisticNikki said:

But there are plenty of dark skinned Black women in the US! He does not need to look overseas if that's his preference. And he could avoid the legal fees, bride price and mind games. Is she 29 or 26? Either way, yes, she acts like a bossy, pouting, tyranical little 4 year old.

Did she ever tell him she doesn't want to be a stepmom? Or just her girl friend?

Yeah, Akinyi behaves about ten years younger than her chronological age, whatever it is. She’s too damn old to think she can stroll into a five-year-old’s life, marry his dad, and lurk about in some “friend” type of role when she is a grown adult. This isn’t a Mark/Nikki extreme age gap where the stepchildren are adults who no longer need raising.

I also have a feeling that most of the dark-skinned black women in America are less than interested in sharing Ben’s Wonder Bread crusts.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, BallisticNikki said:
8 hours ago, iwasish said:

Rebecca has three children with her first husband. I don’t think any of them are particularly young, but apparently she got way behind in paying child support. 

Edited to add, I think her “children” are around the same age as Husband #3 from Morocco and Fiancé #4, Zied 

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, magemaud said:

Rebecca has three children with her first husband. I don’t think any of them are particularly young, but apparently she got way behind in paying child support. 

Past due child support payments don’t go away when the child becomes an adult. 

• Love 3

My quotes disappeared. sigh.. And nothing will add to the spoiler box. double sigh...

Spoiler

Rebecca has three children with her ex-husband. Her two sons were older than her 20-year-old Moroccan husband when they married and her daughter was fifteen almost sixteen. They are all now adults, so there was no custody to fight for.

Her divorce with her first husband looks like it was long and expensive, with custody going back and forth for all the kids up until her oldest aged out, and child support calculations needing to change several times with the custody. After marrying the Moroccan, the daughter asked to move in with the dad permanently and the judge granted it over Rebecca's objections to it because her ex was living with someone against the court rules. 

It took so long to get everything settled in front of the court that her child support was in arrears from day one. There is so much immature and just plain stupid conduct by Rebecca, but the past due child support wasn't one to me up until her ex recently filed for contempt charges because she hadn't paid while she was spending money courting Zied. When it takes that long to get a judge to sign off on a disputed custody order, it's kind of hard to determine who owes whom what, and for a portion of that time, her ex owed her support. 

Her nephew posted on Reddit before the season aired and said the family was embarrassed about her airing her dirty laundry on television, and it hadn't even began. So, I was waiting to see what a trash heap she was and fortunately, she doesn't disappoint. There ARE children affected but at least they are not young like Daniel, and being uprooted from their lives because their parent is on some type of power/control trip in his or her relationship. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Is it rude to make eye contact in Kenya?  Because Akinyi always looks away from Ben.

According to my cousin, who maybe got some sort of nursing certificate from Corinthian College....if you don't look people in the eye you're autistic, so maybe thats it??????

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 9/24/2019 at 1:59 AM, mamadrama said:

Darcey is a needy, emotional wreck but unlike some of these crazies, however, she does seem like a nice person. She's also clearly got some issues. While the snarky side of me enjoys Tom messing with her, the human side of me feels bad. Girlfriend seems on the edge of a nervous breakdown, and yet it's still due to choices that she's made herself. 

I agree with you 100%. She does seem like someone who is generally kind and loyal, and I think she has a good heart. Jesse was wrong about so very many things, and his way of saying it was obnoxious, but he was right about one thing - she needs to work on herself. But i think that needs to come in form of self-care, so she can stop basing her self worth on a man/the presence of a man in her life. The clothes, the makeup, the hair, the enhancements - all of it seems so sad and desperate, and it also seems like an exhausting amount of effort to keep up with all of that stuff.

And at least from what we’ve been shown - she has got to get a handle on the drinking, because it really does seem to be a problem at this point. Again, that could be TLC at work in a really gross way, but i get the feeling it’s likely fairly accurate.

• Love 11
On 9/25/2019 at 7:09 PM, humbleopinion said:

Tom is cruel..

He mind fucks her by saying that if they had gone to Grand Kareenie that he would have popped the question...dangling it over...what could have been...

Kicking her when she is down and low...she doesn't deserve such callous treatment

Lord help me but I feel sad for Darcy. Tom was cruel and it was unnecessary. Darcy needs the help of a good therapist (as does her sister) but I don't think she is a cruel or vicious person unlike some of the folks on these shows. Correct if I'm wrong but on the tell all and social media she doesn't attack the other participants a la Paola. Leida is the devil as is Coltee. Yes she is an insecure famewhore but relatively harmless besides attacking her sister. 

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Love 8
On 9/25/2019 at 4:26 PM, Gobi said:

Maybe, but I would think the likely reason is that most men don't want to get involved with a single mom, and that would give him an advantage if that doesn't bother him.

IDK about most men not wanting to get involved w/ a single mom. I'm a single mom and I've never had a problem finding men who want to get involved with me. People are divorcing so much and having so many kids out of wedlock nowadays, it's almost impossible to avoid single parents. 

I just wonder if he fancies himself a "Cap't Save a Mom" of sorts.

Edited by BallisticNikki
  • Love 5

I remain so frustrated with Avery's mom.  She whips back and forth between "I hate this, I want Avery to come home and dump Omar who is just using her" to "What? You can't get married today?  Let's race to the court and get approval and race to the sheikh and get married right now!"  It's mind-boggling.

I get this though as the mom of sometimes quite stupid 18 and 21 year olds. I sincerely want them to be happy and have the things they want and will help them to that end, while at the same time castigating them for either the stupid ways they go about meeting their goals, or alternately being gobsmacked at how stupid their goals can be. That's just parenting. But ultimately they are (ridiculously inexperienced baby) adults, and while you can tell them what your reactions to their actions will be, you can't (legally) stop them from taking those actions. Frankly the smartest thing the mom did in the episode was get up from that dinner table and leave for the airport. Sometimes the hardest but most important part of being the parent of a legal adult is knowing when you gotta walk away and let them figure it out.

• Love 13
On 9/23/2019 at 6:20 PM, TzuShih said:

No way could Tom had been "suddenly faced with this Albanian getaway."  Plans by producers HAD to have been made well before this so-called' tropical holiday in paradise.' These reality puppets HAD to have been in on the script-line.  I don't believe there EVER WAS a 'dream vacation' in the makings!  

US and UK citizens don't need visas to go to Albania or to the Gran Canaries (Spain) so a spur of the moment trip to either from England isn't impossible. I think certainly DARCEY was planning on it - just to be able to have a man she could show her sister. Whether Tom actually planned an island vacay, who knows, but either way London to Grand Canary or London to Tirana is only a 3 or 4 hour flight and seems to be pretty cheap if Professor Google is to be believed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 9/24/2019 at 12:59 AM, mamadrama said:

I could watch an entire show of Tom and Florian just reacting, together, to to the Silva twins' antics. 

My 21-year old said he'd 10/10 watch a show where Jesse and Florian travel around Europe going on blind dates. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
On 9/25/2019 at 6:09 PM, humbleopinion said:

Tom is cruel..

Jesse treated her badly too.  They know she is dying to get married and they're off.

She does need some therapy and also needs to stop doing these reality shows.

I notice Stacy and Darcey are in a new home together.  The price of stupid.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Jesse treated her badly too.  They know she is dying to get married and they're off.

She does need some therapy and also needs to stop doing these reality shows.

I notice Stacy and Darcey are in a new home together.  The price of stupid.

I think that’s their dad’s house and he just isn’t shown.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Thisgirllovespasta said:

Ok so Ben is at the air bnb... And akini shows up and tells Ben that she told her dad she went on safari... I don't know... That is one man I would not want to lie to... 

I would not be comfortable dating someone who lies to their family.  I would not be comfortable with someone who was respectful of my sexual boundaries - no means no, Akini!!!  "What if my towel fell off?"  How about you go stay with Fidel so I can pack and leave in the middle of the night?"

Ben she just told you she does not feel maternal nor wants to be a stepmother.  You are dead broke and have a son to support.  Stop with the bride price talk and get back to Grayson!!!

• Love 13
8 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Hum.  Didn't they used to live in attached duplex homes?  Now they live with their dad???

Yes, this season they live in their parents' house and I believe their children live there, too, at least part time. Remember Darcey saying her mother was watching the girls while she went to London? The twins have built in baby sitters while they seek foreign dick. My guess is that it was a better location for filming other than one of their bedrooms in the duplex that was shown on Pillow Talk. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 9/26/2019 at 6:46 PM, magemaud said:

I do have to give Ben credit for not telling Grayson about Akinyi before meeting her. 

I admire Ben for that, too, and it is refreshing to see his hesitancy to have sex with Akinyi before they are married because in part he wants to set a good example for his congregation (as compared to Tim's reluctance to have sex).  She is 29, and I agree that as pretty much an old maid she should not command much (if any) of a bride price.  Her reluctance to become a step-mother (and it crossed my mind that in fairy tales the step-mother is evil personified, but I don't know if that is true in African stories as well) is disturbing, but it seems that Ben has talked to her earlier about Grayson, which is good on him, and he seems to be taking her reluctance seriously, which is double good on him.  I hope he will refuse to become engaged.  I didn't like the way he treated his status as guest, what with no gifts and all, but I really think he's being given the shaft now, having to jump through hoops to marry a woman who may well not be what he wanted.  He has been married to a very dark-skinned American woman, so there must be some compelling reason for his looking to Africa.  I don't buy that he was looking for a virginal submissive--in that case, it shouldn't bother him that she doesn't want to be a stepmother--so I'm guessing that Akinyi's emails were hot stuff.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3