Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: True Colors

• Start Topic

On 10/13/2019 at 4:58 PM, Silver Bells said:

Rebecca, forget about the damn pictures of your ex. Concentrate on buying a new jacket as that short too tight leather jacket doesn’t cover your big ass.

I'd like to know if she has a cabinet chock full of coffee mugs, etc., with the ex's face emblazoned on them or if that particular idiosyncracy started with her Zied obsession.  

Both Rebecca and Avery look like they've packed on more than a few pounds since filming started.  Must be some good food in Tunisia and Libya.  Some of that stuff looks delicious.  😄 

(I think I need a donut and coffee now...)

• Love 5
On 9/30/2019 at 1:17 PM, BallisticNikki said:

Nah, Prince was extremely sexual. Tim seems borderline asexual.

I take the term metrosexual to be a reassurance they are heterosexual.

I'm so grossed and weirded out by Akinyi. She's like some scary, deadpan, humorless, monotone sociopath, eyes askance and half closed. WTF is the appeal? She's just downright creepy. As if under a spell. 

She and Omar need the Posturific Brace (TM)!

Does she even have insurance that would cover it in the US??? Isn't she strapped for money? Why is she even entertaining this? Why would she think there is even a remote possibility, now in menopause, that she would be able to carry a baby to term? This is so gross and ridiculous.

So he couldn't get it up? He made it sound like he just wasn't in the mood to even try (and Jeniffer didn't say otherwise). And they seemed in good moods when they woke up...coffee?..fruit?...sure, honey....

Tim reminds me of Frankenstein.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 10/19/2019 at 12:47 PM, Persnickety1 said:

I'd like to know if she has a cabinet chock full of coffee mugs, etc., with the ex's face emblazoned on them or if that particular idiosyncracy started with her Zied obsession.  

Both Rebecca and Avery look like they've packed on more than a few pounds since filming started.  Must be some good food in Tunisia and Libya.  Some of that stuff looks delicious.  😄 

(I think I need a donut and coffee now...)

Avery and her Mother look the same with those jutting lips.  I read somewhere on here the Mother had Avery when she was 15 years old.

• Love 1

Darcy seems boring.  She’s not too much for conversation.  Seems as tho she’s only concerned with her hair, makeup, clothes, shoes and marriage.  I can’t imagine her growing up those two nice girls.  Does anyone know why she divorced their Father?  And how long ago?   I don’t know if I’m on the right page, but, that key Tom gave her was a bust.  I would have been pissed and let him know it.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Avery and her Mother look the same with those jutting lips.  I read somewhere on here the Mother had Avery when she was 15 years old.

Grandma has those lips too.  It is freaky.  I was wondering at the lawyer's office if Avery might be pregnant - she had a pillow across her lap.  But in that burkha would it even matter?

On 10/20/2019 at 7:21 PM, Silver Bells said:

I'm so grossed and weirded out by Akinyi. She's like some scary, deadpan, humorless, monotone sociopath, eyes askance and half closed. WTF is the appeal? She's just downright creepy. As if under a spell. 

She and Omar need the Posturific Brace (TM)!

Does she even have insurance that would cover it in the US??? Isn't she strapped for money? Why is she even entertaining this? Why would she think there is even a remote possibility, now in menopause, that she would be able to carry a baby to term? This is so gross and ridiculous.

What? I don't think Akyini is old enough for menopause. 

• Love 1

Akinyi and Avery are both immature. To me, they both seem like girls play-acting as grown women. And they both chose religious, staid men to hitch their wagons to, probably because they each have an instinct that then those men would take care of them and they wouldn't ever need to grow up.

I actually don't have a problem with Ben and Omar getting frustrated with that immaturity. Unpopular opinion, but I was touched that Ben immediately thought of what situation he might be creating for his son by bringing Akinyi home, and empathized so strongly with Grayson. When he was talking to Akinyi online, I have no doubt that she presented herself as a religious girl who didn't drink or party and who was marriage-minded, and he had obviously informed her about his son, so he thought they were on the same page. And now that it turns out that she's basically a child in a woman's body, ready to let loose and find herself like it's freshman year, he's taken aback. I didn't find him judgemental toward her, I think he was worried that they weren't in the same life-stage or on the same page after all -- and he's right!

And I do think that Omar is going to need to accept that when he married an American girl, that meant that he agreed to adjust some of his cultural expectations and stretch himself. It's not all one-way. But I also don't think that it's healthy for Avery to "rebel" against him like he's her father -- that's never going to make the relationship more egalitarian! She needs to act like an adult partner to him if she wants to be treated like his equal, and he needs to accept that she is his partner as well as his soulmate.

But in any case, I myself wouldn't want to be around a girl who is wasted and begging for more drinks or talking about how she loves dancing in the street, because -- guess what! -- I already was a teenage girl and went through all that bullshit myself, and now I'm an adult and over it. There is absolutely no way that I would continue seeing a man who acted like Akinyi did on their date.

The irony is that Akinyi and Avery are both reasonably age-appropriate for their respective "significant others" in terms of chronological age, but because they're not grown-ups, it's still not going to work.

Darcy makes me sad, because she's sabotaging herself. She honestly would be so much better off getting therapy. There's no way she's capable of being in a healthy, happy relationship right now. But I also don't think she's a bad person, just neurotic as all get-out. Her instincts always seem to be to accept blame, appease, look on the bright side. It makes me sad. A modern-day Blanche DuBois. I guess in that scenario, Stacy is Stella!

Angela is abusive and Michael is a liar. I hate watching them.

Tim clearly has issues with impotence, and he and Jeniffer clearly have incompatible personalities. Tim needs to get back with Veronica and raise Chloe with her. That genuinely seems to be what the three of them want, so why not? And Jeniffer is only 25, she can afford to go slow and find someone who she's truly a good match with -- like her dad advised. To me, Jeniffer comes off as an imperfect but fundamentally normal person, and I think she'll be OK as long as she is real with herself about whether a relationship is working or not.

Another unpopular opinion, but I actually have grown to like Zied. I think he's just some Tunisian burnout, essentially a nice kid (and I say "kid" purposefully, he seems very naive), who wants to get adopted by an American mom. And I think a lot of what he says is being lost in translation, because it usually turns out that his behavior is quite reasonable. Like how he was so anxious about asking for money, and Rebecca was all up in arms, and then it turns out he was so anxious and needed so much because he's trying to buy an engagement ring. Or how Rebecca was freaking out about him never working, when she also said that he really didn't ask for money habitually and the jobs he told her about seemed like under-the-table type stuff. Or how Rebecca was all put out that when she stayed with his family, he gave her his room and he slept in his parents', which seems to me to be the gentlemanly thing to do. Rebecca, meanwhile, is an asshole and completely lost in her own little world. Zied isn't a human being to her, and I doubt that her Moroccan husband was, either. I think Zied is quite naive and his family seems to shelter him a lot (he seems like the baby of the family), and he has no idea what he's getting into. As an adult myself, I would not be interested in adopting Zied, but I think he needs to just grow up and start his "real life" in Tunisia and forget about Rebecca, and I think Rebecca needs to go home and go to therapy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 10/11/2019 at 1:14 PM, RealReality said:

- broke, unattractive, with some incomprehensible superiority complex that makes them think that they should be landing a woman 1/2 their age and size.  

This is what drives me crazy! These below average goofballs like Caesar, Paul, and Colt (and a reverse Angela example etc.) are in lust with an image, a sexual fantasy and expect a stunning woman to appear and become their obedient mate. They should behave submissively because, after all, they are offering them the chance to come to America. How desperate are these women to give ANY of these men the time of day, let alone sleep with them? Don't these people realize they are anything but appealing to the opposite sex. The delusional behaviour floors me. 

• Love 4
On 9/30/2019 at 5:12 PM, gingerella said:

Either way, she's not well and shouldn't be on TV.

I admit there have been occasions when I've stopped yelling "You desperate, embarrassment of a woman" at Darcy through my tv, and pondered how much is acting and how much is mental illness. What if this is really Darcy? What if her beyond bizarre, delusional belief that all in her environment are gobsmacked by her beauty and charisma? If that's the case, then I feel terrible for poking fun at someone who is not in control of her responses and needs professional help.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/1/2019 at 10:53 AM, chickenella said:

I have to add David Johansen in his New York Dolls years. And Marc Bolan of T.Rex. Both did some gender bending, both sexy IMHO. image.thumb.png.bbb39426a032ae25b50633b4b3f93564.png

I have always had a horrible knack for fan-gushing over men that die within 5 to 10 years after I determine they could be my 'hall pass' while married. Marc Bolan was my first love - died, then Michael Hutchence - died, and in between Kurt Cobain... sigh. Bowie lived the longest on my list, and now he's gone. Sheesh