Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E01: 2019 Season Premiere

• Start Topic

The premiere of Season 28, which features an array of celebrities, including a supermodel, a former White House press secretary, a Bachelorette, NBA and NFL athletes, a Supreme and a TV icon.

Airs September 16, 2019.

• Love 1

Quick thoughts:

Sailor did ok for 3 days of rehearsals. 

Sean Spicer...ruined Spice Up Your Life for me.  THANKS! REALLY. 

James is throwing down on the first week.  

Lamar is hitting levels that are possibly lower than Master P.

Dammit show, you are your fancy paddles and Tom has sucked me back in like a leech. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 11

Oh, show, please don't ruin the Spice Girls for me :(. 

So I think we have our frontrunner. Damn, Van DerBeek was good (also I've never really thought about his looks one way or another, but he looked really nice in that outfit and hat). That Ally from Fifth Harmony was pretty good as well-I could see her and James duking it out. I'm also rooting for Kel, both 'cause I think he does have some potential and because the '90s Nickelodeon kid in me is getting a kick out of seeing him on here :D. 

When Lamar had his arms raised up at the beginning of his dance, he reminded me some of the lead singer of Midnight Oil :p. 

Sailor is the spitting image of her mom, holy cow. 

I really loved Carrie Ann's dress. 

Those be my thoughts thus far. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 14

So, another season. Let's see how things go this time around!

Hannah and Alan: As someone who doesn't watch The Bachelor trio, I have only heard of Hannah's name through media and that's all I know of her. Of course, instinct tells me to groan and hate her already, since I only started watching a few seasons ago and the last few Bachelor guys have...not done well. But I will say, she didn't do a terrible job. She looked excited, she seemed to do well from my limited dance knowledge, and it was fun. I actually really like her. 

Kel and Witney: Ah, Kel, one of the few I know of. I was really excited to see them. I think Kel has potential but he definitely had a lot of missteps. He isn't going to be one of the frontrunners, which is ok, but I do hope he can get better. 

Kate and Pasha: Well, first off, Pasha seems pretty cool. As for their dance, it was fun! I don't know whether it's the best first routine, but Kate certainly shows some potential. She's not awful, so that's good. She can definitely get good if she's given a few weeks. 

Lamar and Peta: Man, Lamar is tall. I guess at least they didn't give Lindsay the really tall celebrity this time. It seems like it'll be a challenge for Peta. Lamar looked like he was really putting in his all, but it just wasn't there for me. But man, seeing those 3s are brutal. They didn't even give JOE or BOBBY 3s last season. I guess this season, they aren't playing around. 

Lauren and Gleb: My first thought? Urg, Gleb. I do like Lauren, though. I just wish she had Keo instead, or any other partner. She had a good start so far. She just needs to work on some of her technique and maybe she can shine past Gleb's choreography (yes, Gleb, I saw you try to steal a moment during the dance). But I don't see her getting past halfway, just because of who she's with. 

Sailor and Val: So....Christie couldn't do the show this season so they replace her by her...celeb daughter? Who I've never heard of? I guess Val got REAL lucky that Christie as a model daughter. That being said, with having only learn the dance in less than three days.....she did a good job. I bet Val's pleased that he seems to have a chance now. 

Karamo and Jenna: Jenna must be giddy that she ALSO has a chance. I will say, besides one tiny mistake, Karamo did a good job. I think he could certainly do well. One of the better male celebs of the season, that's for sure.

Ray and Cheryl: Eh. I thought it was ok. Ray has more movement in his body than I thought he would. But I wasn't liking the dance.

Mary and Brandon: I thought that their dance was very sweet. I liked seeing Mary give it her all. But I don't see them getting very far.

Ally and Sasha: I was not surprised with how good she was with Sasha. She had very sharp moves and it looks like Ally may be the one underscored by the judges for no real reason. 

Sean and Lindsay: Poor Lindsay. She got someone who just isn't a good dancer. But man, did she try...and to give him credit, so did Sean. I probably would have given him a lower score. Like a 3 should have been thrown in there. 

James and Emma: First off, holy shit, Emma looks AMAZING as a brunette. James was the one I was looking most forward to and had a feeling that him going last would be great. And...holy shit. He had the BEST dance of the night. 

Overall, a strong premiere. A lot of solid dancers with the celebs, a lot of potential, and only a couple of duds. 

• Love 14

So we are back!  I was going to say weird season in the sense that I like that there are no super ringers, but it also means that most of the celebs were on a similar dance level where they weren't great but they weren't horrible.  Some started off great and most lost their way throughout the dance or were obviously nervous and off time.

But then came James and IMO he was easily the best of the night in terms of overall package.  So happy for Emma!  No idea how likeable he is (or any of the others either) since they haven't had enough air time yet, but finals for Emma?

I enjoyed Mary and Kate a lot.  Think I like new pro Pasha.  Appreciated Hannah kind of shutting down Erin's line of questioning before she could even get there about romance.

I thought the judges comments on Karamo were a little harder than they needed to be but I did enjoy Jenna so being obviously thrown off when she was expecting full praise.  Also she still needs to learn how when she has a capable partner to not make the choreography about her.  I know salsa includes lifts/tricks, but it was too much look at Jenna time.

Same is also true for Gleb.  He's going to be Lauren's downfall.

I don't mind the new set but hate the new paddles.

Sailor, keep forgetting she exists.  I actually think she would be one of the better dancers with full rehearsal time but the lack of fanbase will do her in eventually once people get past the sympathy factor.

Hannah actually has a lot of potential if she can get past nerves and such.  Her arms were funky at times.

I can honestly say while it definitely seems like James will make the finals, I'm not set on a winner yet.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

First off, holy shit, Emma looks AMAZING as a brunette.

I almost didn't recognize her! I was like, "I know the face. I know the voice..." but the hair really threw me for a minute. I like James. I can root for him.

• Love 10

The internet is blowing up for James.  He's the one to beat.  He's popular, likeable.  He's not a ringer.  He's not trying to jump start a career.  He doesn't have a sob story.  And he can dance.  And Emma is popular pro.

• Love 24

My mom and I make this a night whenever the show is on...and both of us were on the fence but man, I really liked it....and the three people I didn't like going, sorta sucked anyway so there's that...but man, is that new ballroom blindingly shiny...and Tom...oh Tom..I do love you....and yep, we're sucked back in...and nice pan to Florence Henderson and Valerie Harper's names on the floor.

All that said, I will give props to Mary and Sailor for all the effort they gave even if Sailor only rehearsed for three days..Mary was good but a bit behind the music...but she had an elegance to her. Karamo totally rocked his outfit and after seeing the horrific Lamar Odom and his "I would have have a root canal" face, Kamaro's joy was refreshing. At least Sean wanted to be there, even if no one else wanted him there...(Tom's less than enthusiastic emphasis on his name throughout the night cracked me up)...

So, yeah, I'm in and now I gotta go watch that one episode of How I Met Your Mother that has James Van Der Beek....

• Love 8

James was the best of the night by far. 

That said, I thought Ally was significantly underscored. If Hannah can earn a 7 and be the first contestant out, Ally could have also earned one or two 7s. 

Believe it or not, I also think Lamar was underscored by Len and Bruno. I'm not saying his dancing was fantastic, but there is no way in hell that what Lamar did was worse than anything Bachelor Joe did a year ago, and Joe didn't get any 3s. CAIs 5 was fair, I think he should have had 4s and maybe one 5 instead of 3s. That said, I think Sean's scores were fair. 

I feel like the show is trying to prop up Hannah because she has been involved with the Bachelor franchise. Granted, I'm glad she's with Alan and not Gleb, but I still feel like she will be propped up by TPTB.

Sailor was incredibly awesome for having only three days rehearsal. It reminds me of Melissa Rycroft, who only had two days, but the difference is that Melissa actually had dancing experience (ballet, and cheerleading routines), whereas Sailor does not have any of that. Bruno's right, she's got some untapped talent. 

Karamo has potential, but I was also underwhelmed by him. 

I enjoyed Kate's intro - how very Office-y!

Although Mary had great musicality and flow, I suspect that the Foxtrot is going to be one of her better dances. She's going to have more difficulty with fast dances.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, stonehaven said:

Mary was good but a bit behind the music...but she had an elegance to her. .

I can't believe she's 75. She sure doesn't look it.

At least Sean wanted to be there, even if no one else wanted him there...(Tom's less than enthusiastic emphasis on his name throughout the night cracked me up)

He didn't do a little chat with him when he came over after his dance, either, I noticed. Granted, Tom did say at one point during the second hour that they were running a bit over time, so that could've factored in, too, but still...

• Love 5

I went into this season really only knowing Christie so I was hoping someone would really pull me in after watching them, much like Rashad did. Unfortunately that didn't happen.

I like James and think he'll likely get my votes (if I bother to vote). I liked Karamo but no way can I vote for him with "look at me" Jenna as his partner. I also liked Kate. And credit to Spicer for wearing that getup.

I've hated the last few seasons of them giving 8s and even 9s during Week 1, but I thought the scoring tonight was overboard in the other direction. Some of those dances definitely deserved higher than 5s. And how did Spicer score higher than Lamar? Did anyone else catch Lamar's face after Spicer got his scores?

I think Christie and the show would've been better served if her daughter Alexa would have stepped in for her. I know Alexa was booked with gigs in NYC this week but at least she has name recognition and her famous father. I think no one knowing who Sailor is will be her downfall, despite Val's rabid fan base.

Don't like the new "star lounge" and don't know why they make some of these stupid changes. It felt claustrophobic with everyone gathered around the side of the stage.

The fact they brought back Jenna and Gleb rather than Sharna and Artem is ridiculous. I can't stomach either of them.

Didn't like the new paddles or the new ballroom decor. It's all too busy. Did love having the disembodied voice back though!

I'll be interested to see how this season plays out because I would not be surprised at all if this is the last season. As I've said before, they needed to come back with a bang and on so many levels they did not do that.

Edited by Toonces464
  • Love 4

Since the judging was mentioned, I don't think we can necessarily compare scores to last season or previous seasons because coming into this the judges said they were going to be harder and score lower.  I think that was one of the changes they made in response to all the recent criticism at the show and especially last season.  So I don't think Lamar is the worst they have had by any means but he just unfortunately came into a season where they were deliberately scoring lower.  I think they could have at least given him 4's.

I have such a block against rooting for anyone with a Chmerkovskiy but we will see and as I said before, somebody needs to teach Jenna to tone down her look at me choreography.  It's one thing to do it when you have a weak partner who can't dance to distract, but Karamo doesn't need that.

Also I'm mean but I'm also amused by Jenna having to deal with Val dancing with a 21 year old model.

Edited by spanana
  • LOL 6
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

Watching him dance was like cleansing my soul after seeing Bobby Bones annoying ass in the audience and Sean Spicer dressed like a head of lettuce.

When I saw him come out in that getup, it had me wishing "The Soup" was still on. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

Sean Spicer dressed like a head of lettuce.

🤣🤣🤣

My friend and I snark-chat while we watch (we used to live together and watched every week) and I commented on him having the most ridiculous outfit. I bet someone in costuming did that on purpose.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

I enjoyed Hannah-she had the personality for this show. She had great showmanship.

damb, Lamar’s arms are long!  WTH did PETA do to her face?  Jenna looked different too.

mary did really well-for even if someone was 50?

cracked me up they didn’t mention “uptown girl” was written for Christie BY HER EX!!!

Why do football players have rythym, but basketball players don’t?

im glad they finally lowered first night scores. I think they were way too the last few seasons.  Like the new format and honest criticism.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, nickp1991 said:

If you told me two years ago that a former White House press secretary would be a household name and end up on DWTS but that he would perform to “Spice Up Your Life” and wore this

Dear SNL writers,

Melissa McCarthy needs to parody this and the bright green lettuce shirt frock on SNL. She could go after the judges with her podium board much like she has done on previous Spicer sketches. 

4 minutes ago, Riplet68 said:

cracked me up they didn’t mention “uptown girl” was written for Christie BY HER EX!!!

I was hoping we'd get an Alexa appearance in the audience, but less likely to happen now that Sailor is the one dancing. I also didn't realize Sailor was only 21, that makes her the youngest contestant now.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

James was the best so far but I thought almost everyone has some potential.

I didnt think that Lamar was worse than Spicer , who I thought was among the worse dancers on the show ever, and he I would have thought 4s would have been fair.

I do wish that Alexa had been the daughter to take over for Christie how sweet would have it been for Alexa to dance to her father's song.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Riplet68 said:

I enjoyed Hannah-she had the personality for this show. She had great showmanship.

She's a professional beauty queen, that's her job. She scored a big "Eh" from me. Got a laugh that she got the forgettable-first spot while James got the pimp spot.

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, Riplet68 said:

Why do football players have rythym, but basketball players don’t?

Not that I'm an expert on either sport, but it seems that football players have to work on lateral movement and overall speed while basketball is shooting accuracy and overall reach.  Could be a reason why football players are light on their feet and can do complex dance moves and basketball players have to work with height differences, being forced to hunch down more and have to adjust harder to stay on the beat. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, mtlchick said:

Not that I'm an expert on either sport, but it seems that football players have to work on lateral movement and overall speed while basketball is shooting accuracy and overall reach.  Could be a reason why football players are light on their feet and can do complex dance moves and basketball players have to work with height differences, being forced to hunch down more and have to adjust harder to stay on the beat. 

I've heard, too, that some football players actually take ballet and stuff like that, because it helps their footwork. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

She's a professional beauty queen, that's her job. She scored a big "Eh" from me. Got a laugh that she got the forgettable-first spot while James got the pimp spot.

That's not really true.  First is not the forgettable spot.  That is 2nd and 3rd usually.  Going first is always better than being buried in 2nd or 3rd (at least when there are a lot of people left).

• Love 7

Some of my thoughts, not that they're worth a hill of beans. I didn't hate Hannah, probably liked her more than any other contestant ever from the Bachelor/Bachlorette franchise. I hate the whole idea of that show, so I'm never going to root for any of it's participants in this show. 

I thought Sailor did a lovely job and with only 3 days practice time as opposed to 2 weeks, it was great, she has a lot of natural ability. I hope she continues to improve. And I hope this show will be a boost in her career. 

The basketball player did not keep my interest, but I didn't think he was worse than spicer. Although, I think it's long past time to bring out the 3 paddles, several of the top finishing celebs last year could have used a 3 several times. And speaking of when Tom said he was going to sit down with the winner of last season, I reached for the remote and turned off the sound. Don't want to see him, don't want to hear him. 

Don't think anyone can say spicer wasn't lacking for enthusiasm, but enthusiasm doesn't make up for ability and he was about as bad as I expected him to be. 

I liked Ally, but I do think there's room for improvement. She also did not lack enthusiasm.

I liked Mary, but I loved Gladys Knight and expect Mary Wilson will go in much the same way Gladys did. This show is not nice to older women. 

I didn't grow up watching Disney channel, so I have little background with any Disney kids. I have liked some of them, especially that one young man early on, I think he came in 3rd. I just can't remember his name and am too lazy to look him up.

I think I only saw Queer Eye once, maybe twice, so I know nothing of the young man from there, he was also enthusiastic, I'll let him have a couple of more weeks before passing judgement. 

I've never watched anything with James either, so I have no opinion, but he is a nice dancer and his children are adorable. I look forward to seeing more.

• Love 8

I forgot how much I don’t like Glen.  I think Jenna did tone down her “it’s all about me” dancing, maybe her hubby gave her some tips?  I’m sure she’ll bring it back though.

i meant that Mary did good for if it was a 50 year old, knowing she’s 75. 

Addme to loving Emma’s hair color!

• Love 3

Is this referring to the pros by first name only something new this season?

Generally the only time it was first name only was when the celebrity was also FNO (like on the leader board).  But tonight the chyron was showing the celeb's full name but just the pros' first name.  Same with the Disembodied English Guy.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, friendperidot said:

I didn't grow up watching Disney channel, so I have little background with any Disney kids. I have liked some of them, especially that one young man early on, I think he came in 3rd. I just can't remember his name and am too lazy to look him up.

There are no former Disney kids this season.  Are you referring to Kel who was on Nickelodeon?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, spanana said:

There are no former Disney kids this season.  Are you referring to Kel who was on Nickelodeon?

Nichelodeon/Disney, I didn't grow up watching either, so what do I know of the difference? In my day, we only had 3 channels and you had to send your younger sister or brother across the room to change the channel, or to hold onto the rabbit ears to get the channel clearly. My idea of Disney kids are Spin and Marty, Joe and Frank Hardy, Annette, Cheryl, Tommy, Bobby, Darlene, Karen and Cubby.

Edited by friendperidot
Joe Hardy - Tommy Kirk played one of the Hardy Boys
  • LOL 12
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Nichelodeon/Disney, I didn't grow up watching either, so what do I know of the difference? In my day, we only had 3 channels and you had to send your younger sister or brother across the room to change the channel, or to hold onto the rabbit ears to get the channel clearly. My idea of Disney kids are Spin and Marty, Tom and Frank Hardy, Annette, Cheryl, Tommy, Bobby, Darlene, Karen and Cubby.

No, I get it.  Was just curious.  Also I feel weird calling Kel a Nickelodeon kid now when he's a whole 41 years old.  He's basically the same age as James.

• Love 3

I was so happy to hear the disembodied British guy again!  welcome back!  I don't like the new "mirror ball" over the dance floor.  It reminds me of the space probe from Star Trek: The Voyage Home.  I did like the tribute stars that they showed at the end of the show for Valarie Harper and Florence Henderson.

Stand out dance tonight for me was Van Der Beek.  Good job James!

• Love 5

Aw man, Lindsay is too good of a choreographer/teacher and too much of a consummate pro to keep SS out of Master P territory. Which sucks because that means we are stuck with him for at least four weeks (and that might be wishful thinking on my part). He's still a garbage human being who I want to see roasted mercilessly for every single week he lasts on the show.

He certainly didn't do very much (and neither did Ray for that matter), but I thought the 3 paddles for Lamar were way too harsh. Maybe two 4's and a 5 from Carrie Ann would've been a little more appropriate.

I can't stand Keo, and have been very vocal that he got way too many chances to stay in the line up as a pro. That being said, it's kind of a joke that he got bumped out of a pro slot for Pasha, who made zero impact (especially when their wasn't a similar bump out of a female pro for Danielle or Daniella).

JVB stole the show, but am I a little more concerned for him going forward in Latin dances. I think he will crush most of the standard dances him and Emma get this season.

For 72 hours of prep, Sailor was pretty solid....although she's probably a "who?" for most of the DWTS viewing audience. Val's got something to work with, but they probably need to fly up to the top of the judges leaderboard asap to have much hope to stay past the midway point of the season.

Hannah was fine, Kate was actually pretty fine too...but she's immediate toast unless they bust out the 1 and 2 paddles for Lamar next week. Ally might have the best chance to challenge JVB, but Sasha can't rely on her faux hip hop/5th Harmony dance training to mask her ballroom deficiencies or Len is going to ding them in his scores week after week. Lauren/Gleb, Mary/Brandon, Kel/Witney, & Ray/Cheryl didn't really make much of an impact on me...but they should all be fine for the first couple weeks at least.

If DWTS wants to be harsher with the scoring they should take a page from WoD and go for a scoring system of 100 (or maybe 50) that way you can clearly delineate gaps between couples without having to crush Lamar/Peta with an 11 to do so...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I can't stand Keo, and have been very vocal that he got way too many chances to stay in the line up as a pro. That being said, it's kind of a joke that he got bumped out of a pro slot for Pasha, who made zero impact (especially when their wasn't a similar bump out of a female pro for Danielle or Daniella).

For me, I don't mind Keo, but I find it more of a joke that he got bumped out of a pro slot for GLEB. Keo made it to third place last season and he's gotten a lot of chances before then, but he finally managed to prove himself once he got an actual worthy celeb. 

Meanwhile, Gleb has had how many chances with decent celebs and failed how many times? The furthest he got was with Jana in fourth place, and every other time, he's finished in the first half of the season. So, similar to Keo but Gleb still gets another chance. 

I just hate that Lauren is going to get screwed over by Gleb. 

12 minutes ago, Sarah Heart said:

Karamo was so excited, but he was underwhelming. Jenna is a good dancer, but is she a good teacher? 

Jenna and Gleb seem to cut from the same cloth: both good dancers (Jenna really is more than good) but both are not very good at choreographing something that has their celeb stand out. Jenna focuses too much on herself as the focal point. Gleb focuses too much on the sexiness of the dance. Both aren't very good teachers because both are vying for the spotlight. 

So, essentially, they're great dancers but good teachers, they are not. 

I decided to watch Karamo's dance back, and I can see why the judges didn't give him a great score. They are right; his hips weren't moving much at all. He was moving parts of his upper body but his hips seemed to stay stagnant. He was shimmying his shoulders, but not moving his hips. 

So, I think I gotta lower him in my favourites just due to that. But it doesn't mean that he can't climb back up for me.

But rewatching Sailor's dance, she does replace Karamo in my favourites list. Seeing what she was able to do in such a short amount of time was great. She picked up on the choreography quickly, so I think that does bode well for her longevity. And, yeah, I'm sure Val is just beaming on the inside that he'll be getting farther than last time.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Sarah Heart said:

Exactly.! I'll add Keo as well. I like Keo, but his choreography lacks when he's teaching. It's not for everyone. That's why I miss Derek, he was wonderful. 

That's fair! Personally, I loved some of Keo and Evanna's dances last season. Her Harry Potter themed dance, the Disturbia dance, and the Freestyle were all highlights for me. 

Either way, since they sacrificed Keo this season for Gleb, he better be bringing some fantastic dances with Lauren this season for me.

• Love 6

All the women were pretty good except Kate. She and Spicer looked really slow and out of shape.

James was really good! I really liked him, Hannah, Sailor and Karamo.

Spicer can join Bobby Bones in the most annoying contestant ever!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Riplet68 said:

She is forever associated with the "Uptown Girl" song because she was featured as the uptown girl in (former husband) Billy Joel's music video for it - she wore a beautiful dress, hat, and shoes and stepped out of a fancy car. However, Joel has stated in concert that his long-ago girlfriend, Elle MacPherson, inspired the song. 

I

• Love 2

At least Sean wanted to be there, even if no one else wanted him there...(Tom's less than enthusiastic emphasis on his name throughout the night cracked me up)

I noticed he wasn't seen in the background when Erin was doing her interviews, either.

For me, James was definitely the best and Lamar was the worst.  I couldn't believe that was the best he could do after 3 weeks of rehearsals.

• Love 5

Ideally it should be Ray or Sean, since they were among the weaker dancers (Lamar's scores were low, too, but his fanbase could benefit him). 

But with the weird voting history this show's known for, who the hell knows? 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Ideally it should be Ray or Sean, since they were among the weaker dancers (Lamar's scores were low, too, but his fanbase could benefit him). 

But with the weird voting history this show's known for, who the hell knows? 

I can also see Lamar getting eliminated as well. But I'll be very surprised if it isn’t Sean.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, howmanywords said:

JAMES! Hell yeah! Watching him dance was like cleansing my soul after seeing Bobby Bones annoying ass in the audience and Sean Spicer dressed like a head of lettuce.

Oh look golden boy ends up with someone who is young,  pretty and able.

Who is the new golden boy?