Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E01: 2019 Season Premiere

• Start Topic

Thought everyone had the right attitude going in. However I could do without that man dressed as radioactive lettuce. Poor Lindsay.

This is Dawson's to lose!

I say it every season, but I love Tom. Him saying "ssttarrr lounge" with a slight wink, and wanting/trying not to say "sky box" was gold.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, kz5 said:

The injury was real, but Christie took full advantage of it. There is already a blind hinting that someone has been trying to get their kid into the limelight for about 5 years and they got a fortuitous break.  

Christie may have taken full advantage of it, but I don't put any stock in blinds suddenly showing up after the fact.  Most of those pages are so full of crap and write blinds based on any number of current news gossip stories and since they never reveal names it's not like they will get called out one way or another.  I could run a blind item page and make things real enough to match up with the entire DWTS cast.

Also if this truly happened 3-4 days before the first live show, unless someone is implying she fell and broke her arm on purpose, that would be barely enough time to plot anything.  I mean I can certainly buy that she "plotted" to use the spot to get her kid on the show before TPTB could run and get another celeb to fill the spot but that is about it.

I do continue to like playing who is in the audience game week to week.  Kate Flannery had Jane Lynch and Angela Kinsey there.  Lindsay had both Jordan and Demarcus who unsurprisingly showed no support for her partner.

Speaking of which, I do feel for Lindsay in a bit where she can't win either way.  I get the impression that maybe her PR people told her to not be too enthusiastic with Sean (just in the sense that I don't think she's particularly political) cause she will get backlash or maybe the guy is just an ass in rehearsal, but you can tell from the day it's been announced she hasn't been that into it.  She rarely posts anything about him like she would her other partners and I think it's more than him being a dud.  Except now she's getting attacked on social media by the Trump crowd the other way for not showing Spicer enough attention and they're all leaving her messages about disappointed they are in her. 

2 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

The aspect of the show that just astounded me was that every single celebrity and pro got the partner they had been secretly hoping for.  What are the odds?

Did anybody have their heard set on someone besides Karamo? Karamo is the only one I remember who has been super vocal about wanting Jenna.  I have no idea why because well, Jenna, but I assume it's based on his friendship with Adam Rippon.  Like if I were Karamo I might want a pro with a better track record.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, spanana said:

Did anybody have their heard set on someone besides Karamo? Karamo is the only one I remember who has been super vocal about wanting Jenna.  I have no idea why because well, Jenna, but I assume it's based on his friendship with Adam Rippon.  Like if I were Karamo I might want a pro with a better track record.

And I'm also not even convinced that Karamo wanted Jenna specifically. In his intro package, when he said he was hoping for Jenna, either they had to re-record him saying her name and they spliced it wrong, or he said someone else and had to edit Jenna's name in, because the audio was definitely not spliced right when he said Jenna's name. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

And I'm also not even convinced that Karamo wanted Jenna specifically. In his intro package, when he said he was hoping for Jenna, either they had to re-record him saying her name and they spliced it wrong, or he said someone else and had to edit Jenna's name in, because the audio was definitely not spliced right when he said Jenna's name. 

I didn't notice that but I am also because he said it in several pre-show interviews too.  The day of the GMA reveal who told reporters who wanted Jenna and she was his dream partner.

6 hours ago, kz5 said:

The injury was real, but Christie took full advantage of it. There is already a blind hinting that someone has been trying to get their kid into the limelight for about 5 years and they got a fortuitous break.  

here is the blind gossip link https://blindgossip.com/barbies-big-break/#more-99220

christie has been trying for 5 years to get her daughter in the limelight.......the blind said she did not plan to break her arm but since it happened she is thrilled for her daugher to take her place...and her daughter was NOT  reluctant to do it

• Love 1
On 9/16/2019 at 10:21 PM, friendperidot said:

Nichelodeon/Disney, I didn't grow up watching either, so what do I know of the difference? In my day, we only had 3 channels and you had to send your younger sister or brother across the room to change the channel, or to hold onto the rabbit ears to get the channel clearly. My idea of Disney kids are Spin and Marty, Joe and Frank Hardy, Annette, Cheryl, Tommy, Bobby, Darlene, Karen and Cubby.

Who?? Lol 

22 hours ago, dccgirl88 said:

I don't see why everyone is raving over Hannah, she seemed stiff to me and looked uncomfortable with the choreography. 

I thought she did quite well. My faves were James, Hannah, and Kel.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Re: Wendy Williams’ accusation about Christie faking her injury - my mom broke her wrist almost the exact same way when she was under 30. She lost her balance and instinctively put her hand down to break her fall and ended up breaking her wrist. 

That instinct to try to break your fall is pretty strong. I remember when I took ice skating classes as a little kid, they told us NOT to do that because we would probably break a wrist. They even made us practice putting our arms up in the air while we fell on the ice.

Just because the video of Christie falling doesn’t look dramatic enough for Wendy doesn’t mean it’s all fake. Not every injury or fall is dramatically cinematic. 

Wendy Williams is a piece of shit.

• Love 3

I mean, honestly, I think most moms want to see their kids succeed so if Christie had planned a fake injury specifically to put Sailor in her place, she probably would have done it a little sooner. There are professional dancers who would be uncomfortable performing a routine that they learned only a few days earlier.

Although . . . {adjusts tinfoil hat} if she had "broken her arm" earlier the show might have wanted to find a more well-known celeb to replace her. By bowing out only three days before the first show, she insured DWTS would be desperate to find someone quickly.

We never landed on the moon either!! It was all a hoax! And Marilyn Monroe killed JFK!!

Sean was totally pandering to the evangelical base of the Republican Party.  The “stand with Christ” line is one you hear from them not usually from devout Catholics like Spicer.  Just admit you can’t dance Sean

I see nothing wrong with someone who is standing in solidarity with a fellow Christian for supporting him. What I find objectionable is that maybe you shouldn't publicly respond to someone bashing show business, or "Holly-weird" and bite the hand that is currently feeding you. That he can't see the hypocrisy is mind boggling.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Jennabelle88 said:
On 9/16/2019 at 10:21 PM, friendperidot said:

Nichelodeon/Disney, I didn't grow up watching either, so what do I know of the difference? In my day, we only had 3 channels and you had to send your younger sister or brother across the room to change the channel, or to hold onto the rabbit ears to get the channel clearly. My idea of Disney kids are Spin and Marty, Joe and Frank Hardy, Annette, Cheryl, Tommy, Bobby, Darlene, Karen and Cubby.

Who?? Lol 

Exactly how I feel about most of the casts on this show.

And yes, it was Kyle Massey that I liked a great deal, thank you Marykat. Even though I have no idea about who they are and what they've done, I think that leaves me a little more open about their actual dancing. I can like or dislike because of what I see them do on this show. It's like Hannah, I hate the whole idea of Bachelor/Bachelorette shows, dating shows in general, online dating, telephone dating commercials, etc., I'm old fashioned but I do realize that not all who use online dating are desperate, that sometimes they just don't have a way to meet people, but of all the celebrities (and I use that term lightly) from that show, I don't hate her automatically. She was enthusiastic, pleasant, has some skills, I hope she grows as a dancer. And then I contrast that to people who obviously don't want to be there and can't be bothered to learn how to dance, have no rhythm, can't let themselves relax and do the dances - and there are entirely too many of those throughout the years. And I don't think Hannah was the best dancer, but she wasn't totally awful either. There are several in this cast I am willing to give them a chance to grow. I hope they get it and aren't overshadowed by the ones that suck but because of fan base or rabid political bases will outlast their ability, and we all know which ones those are.

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Although . . . {adjusts tinfoil hat} if she had "broken her arm" earlier the show might have wanted to find a more well-known celeb to replace her. By bowing out only three days before the first show, she insured DWTS would be desperate to find someone quickly.

Sailor isn't really lesser known than any of the other people they have, though. I mean, this is a show who cast You Tube "stars" in the past.

I do believe Christy really got hurt, but she sure is milking her injury. It makes you wonder why she is so desperate for attention.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

The aspect of the show that just astounded me was that every single celebrity and pro got the partner they had been secretly hoping for.  What are the odds?

LOL I said the same thing. What a coincidence every single person got exactly who they were hoping for.

5 hours ago, spanana said:

Like if I were Karamo I might want a pro with a better track record.

That was my thought too. You've got Cheryl Burke there and you want to dance with attention whore Jenna?

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

That was my thought too. You've got Cheryl Burke there and you want to dance with attention whore Jenna?

I think he knows Jenna through Adam and probably has only seen her 4 week season.  He couldn't have been impressed by her one week stint with Jake T. Austin or anything that happened with Bachelor Joe.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, spanana said:

I think he knows Jenna through Adam and probably has only seen her 4 week season.  He couldn't have been impressed by her one week stint with Jake T. Austin or anything that happened with Bachelor Joe.

He may also know of her from SYTYCD.  She both competed and has come back as an Allstar. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, spanana said:

Except now she's getting attacked on social media by the Trump crowd the other way for not showing Spicer enough attention and they're all leaving her messages about disappointed they are in her. 

Oh, for god's sake, how pathetic. That sucks. I hope she's able to just block and ignore those people. 

• Love 5

As always, I enjoyed the show, but to me, the overall level of dancing seemed lower than past premieres. Also, there weren't really any surprises for me. Even James, who clearly had the strongest performance, I was expecting to do well with a tango, since I pegged him beforehand as someone who would be better at Standard than Latin.

I thought new pro Pasha had a really nice first outing. He had good rapport with Kate and he gave her a good amount of cha cha content, which she handled decently.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, calipiano81 said:

As always, I enjoyed the show, but to me, the overall level of dancing seemed lower than past premieres. Also, there weren't really any surprises for me. Even James, who clearly had the strongest performance, I was expecting to do well with a tango, since I pegged him beforehand as someone who would be better at Standard than Latin.

I thought new pro Pasha had a really nice first outing. He had good rapport with Kate and he gave her a good amount of cha cha content, which she handled decently.

I agree on Pasha and now that they are allowed to post behind the scenes stories with their partners, I really like him so far and his rapport with Kate.

I think the other part is the whole ringer conundrum though.  People complain about ringers and say they don't want people with experience yet if you take them out and level the playing field, your overall quality level of dancing is going to come down.  Sure you will occasionally find the really talented natural talents who don't have much dance experience, like a Rashad or a James Hinchcliffe or other people I can't remember, but if you don't cast ringers, there is no guarantee you will have any decent dancing season to season.

I'm torn on it myself.  I like the idea that there is no obvious runaway winner week one and I like that a lot of the celebs are on a level playing field, but I also couldn't get worked up about any of the routines.  James is the only one to me who delivered a polished routine week one, which is understandable, but is it enjoyable to watch?

• Love 3

I guess I need to watch again - I thought Lauren and especially Ally were both better than James. And Ally was underscored - it looked like Sasha agreed.

James had a weird, strained expression on his face. But Emma looks so much prettier with her natural brunette hair so that was nice. I think she's mentioned wanting to start a family so maybe they gave her a ringer, expecting her to bow out, at least for a while.

I can't help it - Gleb is my eye candy and I hope he sticks around on the show, at least till Pasha grows on me some more (I did like him and Kate was better than I expected her to be.)

I'm going to try to ignore the neon cabbage patch doll there with poor Lindsay. I was willing to cut him some slack until the pandering tweet.

Edited by Morrigan
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, spanana said:

I agree on Pasha and now that they are allowed to post behind the scenes stories with their partners, I really like him so far and his rapport with Kate.

I think the other part is the whole ringer conundrum though.  People complain about ringers and say they don't want people with experience yet if you take them out and level the playing field, your overall quality level of dancing is going to come down.  Sure you will occasionally find the really talented natural talents who don't have much dance experience, like a Rashad or a James Hinchcliffe or other people I can't remember, but if you don't cast ringers, there is no guarantee you will have any decent dancing season to season.

I'm torn on it myself.  I like the idea that there is no obvious runaway winner week one and I like that a lot of the celebs are on a level playing field, but I also couldn't get worked up about any of the routines.  James is the only one to me who delivered a polished routine week one, which is understandable, but is it enjoyable to watch?

I think it depends on the level of ringer. Someone who has some dance experience is a lot different than a Meryl Davis or a Laurie Hernandez or a Pussycat Doll where you know in Week 1 the competition is already over.

• Love 3

I'd never want Cheryl as my partner. She's the epitome of the female pro who dances around her partner while he stands there like a stripper pole doing next to nothing.

I can't help it - Gleb is my eye candy and I hope he sticks around on the show,

Personally I think Gleb is an achingly beautiful specimen of a man. Unfortunately . . . so does Gleb. (Mind you, if I looked like Gleb I'd never be able to tear myself away from the mirror either.)

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 9/17/2019 at 10:26 AM, boyznkatz said:

Wendy Williams is a joke. Who would fake an injury? If Christie didn't want to be on the show when asked, she would have just said no, but her daughter was available. How hard is that?

Christie is being a drama queen, but I don't think she is faking. The woman is 65 years old and people that age are fragile, geez.

I have to go on a rant about the "people that age are fragile".  I'm sure most people who are in their 20s and 30s think 60+ is absolutely ancient (and I probably did too), but now that I'm in that age demographic, it doesn't seem so at all.  I and my friends are all still very active, physically strong and energetic.  I have no idea how easily our bones would break, but, still, to just feel dismissed hurts.  May I remind everyone that I think Tom Bergeron is in the over 60 age bracket, yet I don't think anyone thinks of him as "old".

On 9/18/2019 at 6:43 AM, LBS said:
On 9/18/2019 at 6:43 AM, LBS said:
Edited by sbluv2dance
mistake
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'd never want Cheryl as my partner. She's the epitome of the female pro who dances around her partner while he stands there like a stripper pole doing next to nothing.

I like Cheryl, but I agree that this is becoming a bad habit of hers. I remember having similar thoughts from time to time even when she was dancing with Juan Pablo.

She and Ray had a recognizable cha cha, but that's only because she was the one dancing all of the cha cha!

Edited by calipiano81
1 hour ago, sbluv2dance said:

I have to go on a rant about the "people that age are fragile".  I'm sure most people who are in their 20s and 30s think 60+ is absolutely ancient (and I probably did too), but now that I'm in that age demographic, it doesn't seem so at all.  I and my friends are all still very active, physically strong and energetic.  I have no idea how easily our bones would break, but, still, to just feel dismissed hurts.  May I remind everyone that I think Tom Bergeron is in the over 60 age bracket, yet I don't think anyone thinks of him as "old".

I apologize. I'm not young myself, and although I'm in pretty good shape for my age, I definitely don't have the strength or energy I had in my 20s or 30s. I'm all for seeing energetic senior citizens on the show. Tommy Chong was one of my favorites.

Anyway, I didn't mean to imply anyone was ancient 🙂

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, calipiano81 said:

I like Cheryl, but I agree that this is becoming a bad habit of hers. I remember having similar thoughts from time to time even when she was dancing with Juan Pablo.

She and Ray had a recognizable cha cha, but that's only because she was the one dancing all of the cha cha!

Salsa

I think Lamar received lower scores than Sean because Sean at least was smiling and enthusiastic, cracked a few jokes and seemed to be upbeat, whereas Lamar was scowling more. Yes, a few grins here and there, but he had more of an attitude.  And all I saw from Lamar during his dance was a lot of heavy stomping.

Personally I think that no matter what Tom thinks about having Sean on the show, he needs to be more professional in his treatment of him. Giving a contestant the cold shoulder because you don't like him is not the job you're hired to do.

I'm younger than Christie, but a few years ago a passenger knocked me down at JFK airport and my wrist broke the same way....surgery with a metal plate and screws, etc. I believe she got hurt but beyond that it's all drama queen time. It can't be the WORST break her doctor has seen, and the endless sobbing over her daughter is too over the top. And even though I do believe her injury is real, I think she is thrilled that it happened, since it thrusts her daughter into a national spotlight. 

Mary Wilson was very game and I'm rooting for her.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Maya S said:
7 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

Salsa

I take back the "recognizable" then. I usually can tell a cha cha from a salsa and Cheryl had passages that looked more like cha cha to me.

Karamo and Jenna's dance before them looked more like a recognizable salsa (even without the lifts) to me. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, sbluv2dance said:
On 9/17/2019 at 12:26 PM, boyznkatz said:

Wendy Williams is a joke. Who would fake an injury? If Christie didn't want to be on the show when asked, she would have just said no, but her daughter was available. How hard is that?

Christie is being a drama queen, but I don't think she is faking. The woman is 65 years old and people that age are fragile, geez.

You made me laugh. I go on that rant at least once every season! Now that I am pushing 70, and will be pushing it real hard in a few months, it's annoying to be dismissed. I usually remind people, that if they are very lucky, they too will be old someday. And thank you Boyznkatz for the apology. Yes, the bones are more brittle with age, I broke my wrist in pretty much the same way about 6 years ago. It continues to pain me. I've said this before also, this show does not treat the older contestants kindly. There are videos of an older couple on YouTube, performing West Coast Swing. They are fantastic. Old people can dance, but I suspect this couple has been doing it since it was invented! Heck, they may have invented it, I don't know. They don't do lifts and she doesn't wear killer heels, but they get the crowd moving and cheering.

I didn't mean to quote all of that. I guess my old fingers got carried away with holding down the mouse button. 

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 4
On 9/18/2019 at 7:43 PM, spanana said:

James is the only one to me who delivered a polished routine week one, which is understandable, but is it enjoyable to watch?

This is why I much prefer So You Think You Can Dance. From week 1 of the competition shows, the dancing is on another level. There is much less ballroom dancing but the caliber of dance is a joy to watch.

I do watch both shows and will admit, prefer the later weeks of DWTS as the celebs get better. But......dancing caliber of the best dancer on DWTS is usually the dancing caliber of the worst dancer on SYTYCD.

16 hours ago, sbluv2dance said:

.....  I have no idea how easily our bones would break, but, still, to just feel dismissed hurts. 

Bone Density test can give anyone a very good idea how strong their bones are. Normal bone test results gives a 60 year old as much of a chance for fracture free living as a 20 year old. You gotta take care of your bones as you age so there is that.

• Love 2
On 9/18/2019 at 6:43 PM, spanana said:

On 9/18/2019 at 7:51 PM, Toonces464 said:

I think it depends on the level of ringer. Someone who has some dance experience is a lot different than a Meryl Davis or a Laurie Hernandez or a Pussycat Doll where you know in Week 1 the competition is already over.

I guess it all depends on what you're watching the show for. If you're looking for high caliber dancing, there are a plethora of shows out there (SYTYCD, World of Dance, etc.). Heck, I'm sure you can even find some high-level ballroom dancing shows if you look hard enough. I personally like this show because it theoretically takes people with minimal to no dance experience and teaches them how to dance. So I'm perfectly willing to excuse a few weeks of okay-to-good dancing so that I can get really excited when I see that turn into pretty awesome dancing (for a non-professional). Which is why I agree with Toonces that when you get trained dancers to start with, it kind of lessens the fun for me. It's hard to get worked up over a competition when you're 98% certain it's in the bag for someone.

Mind you, I'm still looking for the best dancer of the bunch to win. Personality should only go so far. (Side eye to you, Bobby Bones) (Not that I think Bobby had a particularly winning personality either for that matter)

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Arkay said:

I certainly have, and that's irrelevant. Tom's professional role is to host this show. Throughout all the years, there have been celebrities who espouse every type of political and social beliefs. That is not germane to the show; judgement should be based on their dance performance. 

As a high school teacher for 26 years, in my professional capacity I must show neutrality toward any student whose belief systems collide with mine. I have a job to do and I do it. It's an effort sometimes because students at this age present in a very broad spectrum, but my role is to accept and teach each one of them. Tom's political leanings should be displayed in the voting booth, and not on this show. 

4 hours ago, JKLM said:

I think the person hasn't seen a press conference. Probably they have seen clips. Most people have seen only clips. Therefore they don't understand the enormity of what he has done.

I wonder, if science were able to resurrect Hitler and DWTS decided to have him on the show, how the person would want Tom to behave. Should he give the cold shoulder or whether he should be phony instead of authentic, be nice to him, thus normalizing the awful things he has done, saying it's okay, not just for him, but for all future people like him as well.

I think that Tom as make it pretty clear that he is perfectly ready to retire from this show, so he gets to do what he wants.  He probably likes the ability to be more authentic in subtle ways.

For many people, Spicer has enabled a horrible, dangerous psychopath.  Maybe Tom believes that too.  Today many people are complicit with actions of sociopaths. George Washington was known for his honesty people are proud of lying now.

• Love 7
On 9/18/2019 at 8:51 PM, Toonces464 said:

Yes, but the issue with that I think is the ones that only have a little experience are unpredictable and you don't know how they will be.  Especially since every actress will list dance on their resume whether they can move or not.  There is a big difference between taking a couple years of jazz growing up and having real experience.  

On 9/19/2019 at 12:54 PM, iMonrey said:

Not defending that, but Cheryl has hinted that they had limited rehearsal time and that Ray is battling injuries so I'm not sure he's going to be able to do that much anyway.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, luvthepros said:

This is why I much prefer So You Think You Can Dance. From week 1 of the competition shows, the dancing is on another level. There is much less ballroom dancing but the caliber of dance is a joy to watch.

I do watch both shows and will admit, prefer the later weeks of DWTS as the celebs get better. But......dancing caliber of the best dancer on DWTS is usually the dancing caliber of the worst dancer on SYTYCD.

I can't compare because the point of both shows are different. I like both shows, or did, but I would never substitute one for the other or expect anyone on DWTS to be able to do what kids that have been dancing their whole lives can do. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kira53 said:

I think that Tom as make it pretty clear that he is perfectly ready to retire from this show, so he gets to do what he wants.  He probably likes the ability to be more authentic in subtle ways.

Not sure where you're getting that from since I have never thought Tom is ready to retire from the show. If he was, then he could've given this show up instead of AFHV.

• Love 1

Coming late to this...

It wasn't as bad as expected, so yay? 🤨

James was very good for a non-dancer in his first week. The legs were wonky, but that's to be expected. He looks like someone who knows how to perform and that will carry him, even if the technique isn't always 100 percent. Also, he's really funny IMO. That might endear him to the audience as well. Emma is the perfect pro for him.

Hannah, Lauren, Sailor and Karamo all delivered comparably solid performances IMO. The difference in marks was mainly building of narratives, seems to me. Sailor did fine for three days of rehearsal. And yeah, Jenna may have overdanced a bit again, but it seemed to me that there was a clear effort on her part not to overwhelm her partner with choreo that is too difficult for him. So at least she's trying to tone it down.

Pasha looks like a promising new pro. I approve. I don't agree about cutting Artem and to some degree Keo, but IMO the weakest link among the male pros is clearly Gleb and since he is not going anywhere...whatcha gonna do?

• Love 6
On 9/17/2019 at 3:21 PM, iMonrey said:

I'm the first person to jump on the conspiracy band-wagon, but there was video of Christie in the hospital which would have been pretty hard to fake. I will say that if a fall that innocuous was "the worst break" the doctors had ever seen she must be as brittle as chalk. She would have snapped something sooner or later, and needs to see a specialist about osteoporosis.  

On 9/17/2019 at 3:27 PM, ams1001 said:

Yeah, that struck me, too. If that fall caused the worst break the doctor's ever seen...I'm gonna guess the doctor hasn't been practicing very long or her bones are made of glass.

I thought that too.  Everyone's bones are different and hers may not be as sturdy as some.  And it may not be because of her age either.  But I tend to think the severity of her break has been exaggerated.

I had the kind of arm break 3 years ago (exactly, to the day!) that the doctors called "one of the worst they'd ever seen" and in my case nobody would doubt that if they saw the video (and there was one because I was in a monitored parking lot).  I landed full force on top of my right forearm after tripping on leftover construction dust while walking down a pretty steep hill, breaking both radius and ulna clean through.  No wrist issues.  I was picked up by an ambulance with my arm literally dangling and ended up having surgery with pins and plates.  I was 57 at the time and have always had sturdy bones and no history of falling. 

Having gone through that I'm still a little suspicious about just how bad Christie's break was.  I am not doubting the break happened, just not completely buying its severity, especially after watching the video.  After 3 weeks in my case I would not have been up to appearing on TV with such energy and I have always been in good health and pretty active.  At that time I was still pretty much house bound except for being driven to the doctor, and I probably hadn't even started physical therapy yet.  My arm was swollen and while not in any constant pain by that time it was not easy for me to get around and sleep comfortably.  I needed to wear a plastic cover over my arm just to shower and my husband had to help me.  It was a real challenge just to get dressed or go to the bathroom.  I was tired a lot and just needed to rest.  I was unable to write or drive too, not just because of the cast but because I had lost the use of my hand for a while, which I was told is not uncommon after a bad break and surgery.  I needed physical therapy for a few months just to regain the use of my hand. 

I am NOT suggesting that Christie is faking anything, but I just KNOW that if it were that bad she would not be in such great shape after only 3 weeks, especially at her age.  I was 8 years younger than her when I broke my arm.  The first time I went out to do anything that stressful was my high school reunion which took place 6 weeks after my break and that was hard enough for me to handle and I left earlier than I normally would have and had to take it very easy for the next few days.

On 9/19/2019 at 9:30 PM, Arkay said:

I'm younger than Christie, but a few years ago a passenger knocked me down at JFK airport and my wrist broke the same way....surgery with a metal plate and screws, etc. I believe she got hurt but beyond that it's all drama queen time. It can't be the WORST break her doctor has seen, and the endless sobbing over her daughter is too over the top. And even though I do believe her injury is real, I think she is thrilled that it happened, since it thrusts her daughter into a national spotlight. 

I agree with this 100%.  Sorry to hear about your experience.  I've been to JFK many times.....It can be brutal and that had to be horrible.  Christie came off as the gushing, pushy stage mom.  She was more like "Toddlers and Tiaras" than I ever would have wanted her to be.  No way was this the WORST break her Dr. had ever seen and I kind of doubt she was told that or if so her doctors were kissing up to her because she is a celebrity.  My break was far worse and even though I was told it was "one of the worst" they'd seen, they didn't say it was THE worst.

• Love 1

Wendy Williams lol. Pins, plates and screws should be visible in an x-ray...as will scars when the cast comes off. Time will tell.

James surprised me, sort of. He strikes me as someone who is here to compete. He put in the work and for me, was breathtaking to watch. I'm biased towards the Latin dances though.

My girl Hannah B is in her element! I have a feeling she'll embarrass me, not so much with bad dancing but with the attention seeking lol.

Kate! I hope she stays awhile just for her comedy. 🙂

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Pass the Tequila said:

Wendy Williams lol. Pins, plates and screws should be visible in an x-ray...as will scars when the cast comes off. Time will tell.🙂

Yeah, I find it hard to believe she would have needed surgery after what I saw on that video.  I was told that they usually only put pins and rods in if skin is broken (open fracture), or both radius and ulna broke, and both were true in my case.  If any of that were true with Christie, she wouldn't have had the composure to say, "Oh, I think I've broken my arm" right after it happened.  She would have been yelling in pain and needed to be put on a stretcher.  Believe it or not, I knew a woman around Christie's age that fell in the same parking lot as me and broke her wrist.  She got up and DROVE herself to the hospital.  Her cast was smaller like Christie's and she didn't need surgery, plus she went back to work after only 2 weeks.  I wasn't cleared to go back to work for several months.  So I call BS on the dramatics.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Yeah No said:
18 hours ago, Pass the Tequila said:

Wendy Williams lol. Pins, plates and screws should be visible in an x-ray...as will scars when the cast comes off. Time will tell.🙂

Yeah, I find it hard to believe she would have needed surgery after what I saw on that video.  I was told that they usually only put pins and rods in if skin is broken (open fracture), or both radius and ulna broke, and both were true in my case.  If any of that were true with Christie, she wouldn't have had the composure to say, "Oh, I think I've broken my arm" right after it happened.  She would have been yelling in pain and needed to be put on a stretcher.  Believe it or not, I knew a woman around Christie's age that fell in the same parking lot as me and broke her wrist.  She got up and DROVE herself to the hospital.  Her cast was smaller like Christie's and she didn't need surgery, plus she went back to work after only 2 weeks.  I wasn't cleared to go back to work for several months.  So I call BS on the dramatics.

Christie brought her x-rays to the Talk last week...showing the plate & screws. Her arm was totally bruised/black&blue around the cast. She also demonstrated that it didn't wash off.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, MsTree said:

Christie brought her x-rays to the Talk last week...showing the plate & screws. Her arm was totally bruised/black&blue around the cast. She also demonstrated that it didn't wash off.

I watched that segment and saw the x rays and now I am even MORE convinced that her break was nowhere near as bad as mine and could not have been "the worst they'd ever seen".  If she had broken both bones in the arm (radius and ulna) she would have 2 long steel plates down the length of her arm, and two 6+ inch scars on both sides of her forearm, like I do, not just a little plate near the wrist.  I've sort-of become an expert on this.....I believe she shattered her wrist because that's what the x rays and small plate confirm, but she conveniently left out the rest of the forearm in that x-ray, probably because there's nothing to see.  She bruised her elbow when her arm hit the ground, but so what?  That's no indication of any break in that area and nowhere near as bad as what I suffered.

So her injury is FAR less severe than mine was - I said in my previous posts that I never doubted that she broke something but she could not POSSIBLY have had anywhere near the severity of break I had, and yes, I have seen the x-rays of my FULL forearm many times and still suffer from spasms and carpel tunnel and reduced grip strength that will be with me for the rest of my life.  Plus my surgery lasted more than 3 hours......She could not possibly be up to appearing on TV that many times in a WEEK so soon after surgery if this was such a bad break.  So I still say her claims of severity are BS.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, MsTree said:

She brought her x-rays to a talk show? LOLOL. I do believe she's hurt, but why does she need to be a drama queen. It's no one else's business about her injury, so she doesn't need to get defensive. 

Although Sailor is good, I almost hope she get eliminated so we don't have to see Christie begging for attention week after week.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, boyznkatz said:

She brought her x-rays to a talk show? LOLOL. I do believe she's hurt, but why does she need to be a drama queen. It's no one else's business about her injury, so she doesn't need to get defensive. 

Especially when her x-rays and incredibly speedy recuperation so soon after surgery only prove how much she's been exaggerating.  Drama queen, indeed.

• Love 4