Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E01: 2019 Season Premiere

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

She brought her x-rays to a talk show? LOLOL. I do believe she's hurt, but why does she need to be a drama queen. It's no one else's business about her injury, so she doesn't need to get defensive. 

Maybe she felt she did after Wendy Williams' statements.

• Love 9
On 9/21/2019 at 4:27 AM, katha said:

Hannah, Lauren, Sailor and Karamo all delivered comparably solid performances IMO. The difference in marks was mainly building of narratives, seems to me. Sailor did fine for three days of rehearsal. And yeah, Jenna may have overdanced a bit again, but it seemed to me that there was a clear effort on her part not to overwhelm her partner with choreo that is too difficult for him. So at least she's trying to tone it down.

After rewatching, I agree that Karamo was solid. Before James danced, I thought he had given the best male performance. I thought the judges comments' made him sound like he danced poorly.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

My guesses for the first elimination:

Lamar or Sean.

I will be very surprised if it isn't one of those two.

They deserve to go but they might have a huge fan base.  I no longer vote so I am part of the problem.

• Love 1

I loved James and was pleasantly surprised by Kate and Sailor. I like Lauren but worry about Glen as her partner. I liked Karamo too and think Ally has potential.

On 9/16/2019 at 10:15 PM, tealeaves said:

The internet is blowing up for James.  He's the one to beat.  He's popular, likeable.  He's not a ringer.  He's not trying to jump start a career.  He doesn't have a sob story.  And he can dance.  And Emma is popular pro.

IMO there’s nothing not to like about James and his kids are so darn adorable!

• Love 5
On 9/16/2019 at 10:27 PM, Annber03 said:

I can't believe she's 75. She sure doesn't look it.

He didn't do a little chat with him when he came over after his dance, either, I noticed. Granted, Tom did say at one point during the second hour that they were running a bit over time, so that could've factored in, too, but still...

75 1/2  as she kept on saying, LOL, but she did look good.

• Love 4
On 9/17/2019 at 12:31 AM, Lady Calypso said:

For me, I don't mind Keo, but I find it more of a joke that he got bumped out of a pro slot for GLEB. Keo made it to third place last season and he's gotten a lot of chances before then, but he finally managed to prove himself once he got an actual worthy celeb. 

Meanwhile, Gleb has had how many chances with decent celebs and failed how many times? The furthest he got was with Jana in fourth place, and every other time, he's finished in the first half of the season. So, similar to Keo but Gleb still gets another chance. 

I just hate that Lauren is going to get screwed over by Gleb. 

Jenna and Gleb seem to cut from the same cloth: both good dancers (Jenna really is more than good) but both are not very good at choreographing something that has their celeb stand out. Jenna focuses too much on herself as the focal point. Gleb focuses too much on the sexiness of the dance. Both aren't very good teachers because both are vying for the spotlight. 

So, essentially, they're great dancers but good teachers, they are not. 

I decided to watch Karamo's dance back, and I can see why the judges didn't give him a great score. They are right; his hips weren't moving much at all. He was moving parts of his upper body but his hips seemed to stay stagnant. He was shimmying his shoulders, but not moving his hips. 

So, I think I gotta lower him in my favourites just due to that. But it doesn't mean that he can't climb back up for me.

But rewatching Sailor's dance, she does replace Karamo in my favourites list. Seeing what she was able to do in such a short amount of time was great. She picked up on the choreography quickly, so I think that does bode well for her longevity. And, yeah, I'm sure Val is just beaming on the inside that he'll be getting farther than last time.

I don’t think Keo is a great pro but he’s much better than Gleb.

• Love 2
On 9/17/2019 at 10:15 AM, LBS said:

My top 5 are Hannah B., James Van der Beek, Kate Flannery (just because I love her but I don't think she'll go that far), Kel, and Karamo.   Overall I think they have a good crew this year.  I think either Lamar and Spicer will be the first to go.  I never realized how tall Lamar is!  I didn't think he deserved such low scores.

I hate the new paddles and I forgot how much I missed Tom on my screen!  

ETA: If they force a showmance between Hannah B and Alan , I will scream.  

I agree with you about your favorites.

On 9/17/2019 at 11:08 AM, spanana said:

Speaking of lack of troupe, I don't mind that by any means, but I thought it was interesting they fired the troupe and then had Britt Stewart (who has been in the troupe the last few seasons) as the extra dancer at the beginning of Lauren's routine.  They are still going to need extra dancers here and there even if they dial back the everything feeling like a big group routine.  Especially with Disney week coming, so I'm assuming they will just bring in extras as needed.

Also my understanding is that Daniela and Keo are the swing dancers to do pro routines and step in where needed if someone gets hurt and that sort of thing.  It would have been nice if they had introduced them last night and given them like a 30 second chance to dance but of course not.

I wish they made that clear about Daniela and Keo. I was confused. Thanks for explaining.

9 hours ago, OnceSane said:

Maybe she felt she did after Wendy Williams' statements.

Or the remarks here. 😉  I take no side as to the veracity of her statements, since I am fortunate to have no personal experience beyond breaking my elbow tumbling down a hill in elementary school (I am no longer to be found outdoors, as a precaution).  But it seems clear why she might be on the defensive, when so many people are calling her out.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

Or the remarks here. 😉  I take no side as to the veracity of her statements, since I am fortunate to have no personal experience beyond breaking my elbow tumbling down a hill in elementary school (I am no longer to be found outdoors, as a precaution).  But it seems clear why she might be on the defensive, when so many people are calling her out.

I get why she feels the need to defend herself but she only made herself look worse to anyone that knows anything about arm breaks.  I have known of Christie since she was a model back in the day but never knew what her personality was like until now.  She seems like the kind of person that has to exaggerate everything in her life to make it look MORE fantastic, MORE incredible, MORE severe, all for attention, praise or even sympathy.  And I don't even think she's being dishonest, just that she drinks her own Kool-Aid.  Just yuck.  I wish I never learned this about her. 

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:03 PM, mtlchick said:

Lamar is hitting levels that are possibly lower than Master P.

Nothing can ever be lower than Master P literally throwing the dance shoes at his partner that she had so kindly and generously purchased for him.

• Love 2

I saw that episode as well, but I don't remember it exactly as you do.  It was almost 15 years ago, and our memories can fool us, so thank God for youtube

He dropped them on the floor and then emphasized his distaste by kicking them further away, but I didn't see him throw them at all, much less throw them at Ashly.  I believe his reaction was spontaneous and real, but I think it was a purposeful overreaction for effect and I don't actually believe he was angry at her in that moment.  The very next scene shows him wearing the shoes during the quickstep practice.

Let's agree to agree on this - Master P was a horrible dancer.  He may or may not have been the worst dancer ever on the show (e.g. I don't think Tucker Carlson was any better and I seem to recall one of his "dances" performed seated in a chair while his pro actually  danced) but it was clear that Master P had no interest in being there and was simply doing his son and the producers a favor, albeit not very graciously.  His attitude was very poor and I think Ashly was genuinely surprised by it and exasperated by him, but let's not forget that they were making TV.  If he was truly being inappropriately hostile, angry, and aggressive toward his partner, I don't think they would have forced her to continue working with him.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, sd dude said:

I saw that episode as well, but I don't remember it exactly as you do.  It was almost 15 years ago, and our memories can fool us, so thank God for youtube

He dropped them on the floor and then emphasized his distaste by kicking them further away, but I didn't see him throw them at all, much less throw them at Ashly.  I believe his reaction was spontaneous and real, but I think it was a purposeful overreaction for effect and I don't actually believe he was angry at her in that moment.  The very next scene shows him wearing the shoes during the quickstep practice.

Let's agree to agree on this - Master P was a horrible dancer.  He may or may not have been the worst dancer ever on the show (e.g. I don't think Tucker Carlson was any better and I seem to recall one of his "dances" performed seated in a chair while his pro actually  danced) but it was clear that Master P had no interest in being there and was simply doing his son and the producers a favor, albeit not very graciously.  His attitude was very poor and I think Ashly was genuinely surprised by it and exasperated by him, but let's not forget that they were making TV.  If he was truly being inappropriately hostile, angry, and aggressive toward his partner, I don't think they would have forced her to continue working with him.

I checked out the youtube video... we probably saw the same one, since I only found one on there that showed it... and you may be correct that he just kicked it instead of threw it. But I'm not sure that the clip shown in that video is complete. I distinctly remember him throwing one when he opened the box, because I was shocked that he was so ungrateful and disrespectful.

But you may be right, memories aren't always reliable. Even if he did just drop it and kick it away, it doesn't change the fact that his reaction to receiving a nice new pair of dancing shoes was in no way a credit to his character. I don't think that it was a purposeful overreaction for effect, I think he was offended that she expected him to wear what he considered to be extremely uncool shoes on television. And I suspect that he was wearing them when they danced live because the producers told him he had to do it or he would forfeit his compensation.

To your second point, we do agree. He was a horrible dancer. Not only did he have the body type that is exactly the worst for dancing... a big, lumbering hulk... but he made zero effort whatsoever to learn or improve. Say what you will about Sean Spicer, but at least he tries and is making the most of it while he can. I remember Tucker Carlson being the first one out in his season, so I don't know if he would have made an effort going forward.

I remember that he did it because his son couldn't (or wouldn't), and I remember also thinking at the time that I hated him taking up a slot that could have gone to someone else if he wasn't even going to try, and obviously had zero interest in or respect for ballroom dancing. I felt a lot of pity for Ashley that year. As for them forcing her to work with him... well, that was her end of the contract. As you say, they were making TV, and drama is always more important that substance. Besides, they knew he wasn't going to be around much longer anyway.

Returning to my original point, I said all this to say that Lamar, while suffering from the same large hulking frame that Master P did (which makes it difficult to dance under any circumstances, you just can't be light on your feet), did not share that poor attitude that you mentioned. Therefore, in my opinion, his dancing and overall presentation on the show cannot possibly compare to the depths achieved by Master P.

Edited by axlmadonna
Yeah... I had more to say. I apologize.
  • Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:11 PM, axlmadonna said:

Returning to my original point, I said all this to say that Lamar, while suffering from the same large hulking frame that Master P did (which makes it difficult to dance under any circumstances, you just can't be light on your feet), did not share that poor attitude that you mentioned. Therefore, in my opinion, his dancing and overall presentation on the show cannot possibly compare to the depths achieved by Master P.

No argument on that point.

I am not sure if Lamar's mental/emotional health really were conducive to his participation this season.  He did seem at times extremely sensitive about his dancing and the scores/critiques, and just unhappy and uncomfortable being there.  But I believe he did try, and the genuine tears from his professional partner in acknowledgement of his effort (and I've never exactly considered Peta to be the warmest fount of emotion to begin with) supports that.

Master P was simply disinterested and never gave his partner any effort at all.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, sd dude said:

No argument on that point.

I am not sure if Lamar's mental/emotional health really were conducive to his participation this season.  He did seem at times extremely sensitive about his dancing and the scores/critiques, and just unhappy and uncomfortable being there.  But I believe he did try, and the genuine tears from his professional partner in acknowledgement of his effort (and I've never exactly considered Peta to be the warmest fount of emotion to begin with) supports that.

Master P was simply disinterested and never gave his partner any effort at all.

No comment on Master P since I didn't watch that season.  I agree with both of you that Lamar did try.  It was sad to actually see how much he messed up his brain.  He was never going to be a good dancer but it was compounded by his memory.  Lamar was once a really good basketball player so it's just a shame.

• Love 1