Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Love Is A Battlefield

• Start Topic

I just can't get over the shallowness of these "contestants," i.e. Tim saying "she is so hot; she is way above my league! I hope I can keep her!" or  Zaid saying "you are so beyoootifulll..." when they hardly know each other beyond sexting and presenting themselves as what they aren't via filters and snapchat bunny ears (I'm looking at you, Darcy/Rebecca/Tom). I mean, these are ADULTS. And they really think that they can call someone "the love of my life" after talking on the phone?

Another played out phrase here is "If this doesn't work out, then..." (I'll be devastated, I won't be able to go on, I don't know what I'll do.) We need new script writers.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, KateHearts said:

I just can't get over the shallowness of these "contestants," i.e. Tim saying "she is so hot; she is way above my league! I hope I can keep her!" or  Zaid saying "you are so beyoootifulll..." when they hardly know each other beyond sexting and presenting themselves as what they aren't via filters and snapchat bunny ears (I'm looking at you, Darcy/Rebecca/Tom). I mean, these are ADULTS. And they really think that they can call someone "the love of my life" after talking on the phone?

Another played out phrase here is "If this doesn't work out, then..." (I'll be devastated, I won't be able to go on, I don't know what I'll do.) We need new script writers.

"We have a real connection."

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, Laurie4H said:

I’m confused.  My DVR shows it’s only episode 5 that aired.  But on here people are discussing episode 10?   The titles don’t match the episodes #’s on On Demand.  

TLC counts the "More to Love" repeats as new episodes and numbers them accordingly.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Laurie4H said:

I’m confused.  My DVR shows it’s only episode 5 that aired.  But on here people are discussing episode 10?   The titles don’t match the episodes #’s on On Demand.  

I would look for the title of the episode rather than the number.

Thinking about Avery...

I get concerned any time someone dives straight into a new subculture or abruptly changes their entire way of living. For me the issue wouldn't be that Avery converted to Islam specifically, but that she did so so quickly and absolutely. Conversion to any religion generally takes a good deal of thought and study put into it. She didn't just change religions-she changed the way in which she dresses, acts, and dates. That's a lot of change in a short 6 months. I just finished up a roll of paper towels that I've had longer.

Do you guys remember the teenage girl at Columbine who was shot after she was asked if she believed in God? I know lots of things have come out about that story since (like she wasn't the one who said "yes"), but at the time of the story the parents wrote a book about their daughter. Apparently, just a few months before the massacre at Columbine, the young woman was really into the goth scene.She dressed all in black, listened to metal, hung out with the "weird" (the kind that I like) kids, and was even into Wiccan type spells and rituals. The parents were freaked out and worried because it happened all at once. But then something changed and she left the goth scene to, instead, become full-force born again Christian. Again, her style of dress, music, friends, and belief system changed. The parents were overjoyed at this change in their daughter and were ultimately glad that she did it before she was killed.

Personally, as a parent I'd have found both extremes worrisome. The Christian change may have been a relief to the parents because they felt it was the more acceptable belief system/way of living, but yo-yoing from one to the other like that would, to me, be a red flag. Perhaps it was nothing more than just a teenager trying to find out who she was, but still... 

I wonder how many times Avery has done this in the past-maybe not religion and maybe not to this extent, but I'd bet she has a history of such things. As a parent, my immediate concern would be the moving to Syria (which, I know, her mother supposedly doesn't know about yet). So far she hasn't really made any decisions that can't be undone, but moving into an active war zone is something she may not come back from. (I don't think she'll do it, though. I think she's just trying to shock us.if Omar wouldn't let her meet him in Syria then I can't see him encouraging her to move there.) 

• Love 8

I don't know about y'all, but I would give my eyeteeth to see Darcy in NORMAL CLOTHING. Jeans and a t-shirt. Leggings and flats. A jean jacket and a black skirt.  Take away the extensions and add some decent undergarments and she could look half normal once her fillers reabsorbed.  

In the end, though, there would still be that woman-child who really wants to believe that life is about Prince Charming, fairytales and happily ever afters.  The minute she had to wash a dish or got a flat tire she would crumple like a deflated balloon.

• Love 20
On 8/26/2019 at 7:06 AM, Laurie4H said:

If Rebecca has such a bad experience with a Muslim man then why date another one.  Either respect the culture while there or fine someone you are on the same page with.

Is Darcy and actress or really a mess?   Sleeps with full makeup and false eyelashes (I’m sure that is partially scripted).  And her heals when getting on the boat etc....I mean come on?  She can’t wear a pair of comfortable shoes or gym shoes?   I know that is the most important thing for me when traveling.  

Jennifers hair annoying me when they showed her working out.  I don’t understand how you can have your sweaty hair all over your face and neck when exercising.   Maybe it’s just me but my hair has to be up if it’s hot or when I am working out.  

Darcy-- Doesn't the look you are trying to achieve by wearing 6 inch heels become diminished by the fact that you need several people to guide you along while you are trying to walk?  

Re Jeniffer:  I was hoping that she doused her hair in water; the idea of dripping, sweaty hair was grossing me out.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I don't know about y'all, but I would give my eyeteeth to see Darcy in NORMAL CLOTHING. Jeans and a t-shirt. Leggings and flats. A jean jacket and a black skirt.  Take away the extensions and add some decent undergarments and she could look half normal once her fillers reabsorbed.  

In the end, though, there would still be that woman-child who really wants to believe that life is about Prince Charming, fairytales and happily ever afters.  The minute she had to wash a dish or got a flat tire she would crumple like a deflated balloon.

Yes! She isn't unattractive, I don't think, under all the fillers, hair, etc.

But you're right, she would never, Princesses don't wash dishes, or their SO's dirty underwear. That would wreck the fantasy.

• Love 2
On 8/27/2019 at 11:49 PM, Mothra said:

Her way of doing it is to cite random rules she has found on the internet which sound really scary, and to confront Avery

I would bet on that this was not her doind, but that of the production company. They took two of the most widely known and controversive things (wife hitting and polygyny) and put in on the show in order to demonstrate the "average Jane worries of Islam" and add a bit of a drama.

On the other hand, the prospective husbands reply did not demonstrate a firm grasp of the Islam either, not to mention his permanent smile during the conversation. IMHO opinion, he comes from an economically well suited and politically safe family - and those live, how shall I put it delicately ... much as comparable christian people in a conservative christian country. :-)

• Love 2
On 8/27/2019 at 12:31 PM, sharongogo said:

What I find fascinating about Avery's mom is that she's focused on Omar as some threat when it's obvious her daughter already suffered through some trauma. Sure, teens are mercurial and can be easy to change but Mom has a daughter that went from partying and wearing "skimpy" clothes to a girl that won't show any skin, put on weight, joined a religion that prohibits drinking, and is abdicating her decision making to someone else. That same kid who is desperately trying to not have the "bad thing" happen again also can't help putting herself in harms way (maybe not Omar, but for sure a war torn country). Lady, the horse left the barn and your kid is crying out for help. And it's not because of what Omar might do, it's because of something that happened under your roof.

Right?  How can she not see it?  It is classic survivor behavior.  

ETA:  Could we please stop speculating about the gender statuses of these people?  I know for a fact we have at least 2 people who lurk here who happen to be trans and this kind of talk is so harmful. 

Edited by Olive
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Olive said:

Right?  How can she not see it?  It is classic survivor behavior.  

ETA:  Could we please stop speculating about the gender statuses of these people?  I know for a fact we have at least 2 people who lurk here who happen to be trans and this kind of talk is so harmful. 

People have speculated that Mohammed is gay and that Coltie and Debbie engage in sexual relations.  There is something to offend everyone on anonymous internet message boards.

• Love 16

Betcha Tom totally regrets having Darcey staying for 3 weeks..2 weeks and 4 days too many...

Her marriage and wedding hints go over like a lead balloon....pathetic...

TLC must be paying for the everything...the AirBnB, the Thames boat ride and now the detour to meetup with Stacy and her fiance, Florian in Albania...

There was never a vacay planned by Tom in Gran Canarie...the Albania trip was in the shooting schedule all along.

Darcey wearing Tom's white shirt in the morning...she really is into the whole morning after fantasy...

Tom got up and hauled ass out of bed before Darcy got her morning boner and jumped his limp, uninterested tallywhacker....

All the blood on the sheets showed Tom put up a pretty good fight to keep Darcey off of him...she claims blackout...

Tom seems equally repelled but fascinated by Darcy's ridiculousness...he must have wanted to be on teevee real bad....

• LOL 15
  • Love 7
On 8/26/2019 at 7:22 AM, blubld43 said:

My first time seeing Muslim wedding dresses as well, and they were stunning!

So wouldn't the head piece, the part that drapes down from the head, that would cover her shoulders? Forgive my ignorance, I'm unsure what that's called.

The liquor, well I guess even in Beirut they attempt to cater to tourists. 

Lebanon has a lot of Christians there and there is a Western influence from when France controlled it, so I think they are a less conservative there.

Poor Tim...he is a pussy and will be paraded around to Jennifer’s friends as such.

His multicoated shiny clear polish on his manicure and dandy clothes doesn’t help prove otherwise...

Tim’s eyes remind me of Stewie’s of Family Man.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 8/27/2019 at 1:02 AM, RealReality said:

Tom is trying so hard not to sleep with her and based on this episode I hope he can resist.  Sleeping with Darcy would be an epic disaster.  He would almost certainly have to move.  She would 220% say she was led on.  

When she was like "yeah, we have a good conversation last night" I was like....."girl is that what you call it when you beg a man to bang you as your drunkenly blubber?"

I feel for Tom, he may be a fame whore, but yikes.  Also, why doesn't Darcy wear those "heeled" sneakers?  At least she would be able to walk.....with her love of liquor and ridiculous heels she is going to end up in the river.  

Oh yes.....Please.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, KateHearts said:

Darcy is like a real life BRATZ doll.

• LOL 14
  • Love 4
On 8/27/2019 at 2:37 PM, magemaud said:

I can SO picture Avery's mother on the sidelines at a gymnastics meet, arguing with the coach and judges about their decisions. She just gives off an air of confrontation (and bitchiness.) When someone said she's a nurse, all I could think of was Nurse Ratchet. 

Ratched

So sorry, it's just a pet peeve.  🙂

Last season we had Melissa without a pre-meeting interview, and she actually DID show up for Ricky.  This season we have Maria without a pre-meeting interview.  Perhaps we'll all be very surprised when Maria shows up in Cancun for Caesar.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 8/28/2019 at 3:19 PM, renatae said:

When Jeniffer called Tim a "pussy" for not having dirt under his nails, I saw an incipient Evilyn. Big time.}

See, that bothered me (her complaining about his nails) as my hubby, who is a gunsmith, has a workshop and routinely has dirty hands, is meticulous about his nails and keeping them clean.  He is not into clear nail polish but so what, Jeniffer?   My hubs is constantly clipping and filing his nails.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

See, that bothered me (her complaining about his nails) as my hubby, who is a gunsmith, has a workshop and routinely has dirty hands, is meticulous about his nails and keeping them clean.  He is not into clear nail polish but so what, Jeniffer?   My hubs is constantly clipping and filing his nails.  

My beef is really with the polish.....it was just so glossy.   I think it's fine for men to get manicures.....for me, a big benefit of a manicure is getting rid of cuticle skin as mine gets dry and I tend to pick at it. 

I generally get a clear polish and would probably be fine with no polish. So I think a manicure isn't a bit deal at all because most of the manicure is just about keeping the hands tidy....make or female. 

But that high gloss clear polish?  I might sideeye that if I were a woman who likes a roughneck.

Though I don't think he ever represented himself as someone who does a lot of traditionally "manly, dirty" stuff.....so I don't know why she is disappointed.  Not about him gives that impression.  He looks manscaped and groomed to within an inch or his life, he drives a "Lamborghini" and he wears colorful suits?  How did she get "guy who likes to do manly work projects" from that?

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Honey said:

Ratched

So sorry, it's just a pet peeve.  🙂

Last season we had Melissa without a pre-meeting interview, and she actually DID show up for Ricky.  This season we have Maria without a pre-meeting interview.  Perhaps we'll all be very surprised when Maria shows up in Cancun for Caesar.

Thanks, I wasn’t sure of the spelling. I think we’re not seeing Maria in advance because then we’d know for sure that she was actually filmed. Melissa’s existence came as a surprise and production might want to recreate the same buzz about Maria, but I’m betting on her being a no show. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, RealReality said:

Though I don't think he ever represented himself as someone who does a lot of traditionally "manly, dirty" stuff.....so I don't know why she is disappointed.  Not about him gives that impression.  He looks manscaped and groomed to within an inch or his life, he drives a "Lamborghini" and he wears colorful suits?  How did she get "guy who likes to do manly work projects" from that?

maybe because he's in the gun business?  

I am not one for the overly groomed look that he has- but I don't like it in women either. I like clean, well-groomed, put together- but when it looks like it takes half a day to get there I find it off-putting. Tim has the carefully positioned hair, the plucked brows, the nail polish- I think he said in his intro episode that  he thinks "looks are important," and he makes that very obvious.

• Love 12
On 8/27/2019 at 10:58 PM, doyouevengohere said:

Tim and Jessica- He totally looks like Jim Carey as the Grinch.  I kinda hate him, but this feels like a romcom movie and I hope that Jessica treats him terrible and he realizes Vanessa is the one and he runs back to her with red roses.

Darcy and Tom- I'm sorry but the shape of Tom's head and his fray of curls at the top of his noggin make him look like Sloth from the Goonies.  Poor drunk desperate Darcy; I feel so bad for her daughters.  Am I wrong to hope Jessie appears at some point?

Avery and Omar- Omar seems handsome, polite, and decent. I already like him tons more than Avery.  If anyone messes up this relationship it will be Avery.  Her mom is totally right that she flits from thing to thing and down the line will not like being told what to do or being submissive.  I think her mom is rude but she is totally there to bust Avery's chops.

Ben and A- Ben is a total nerd but seems nice enough.  They are both weird but sorta cute.  I think the only reason he is on this show is to earn enough for her bride price rather quickly.

Ceasar- I can't believe any of his storyline is true.  If it is, he needs to like have a caregiver or something b/c he can not make his own choices in life.

Angela- I still can't believe someone like her exists.

Angela's other daugher and greasy Rasputin- gross and scary.

Agreed.  I like him, especially since he isn't getting his son mixed up in his long-distance romance, but he reminds me of a young David of "David and Annie."

• Love 2

Darcy is going to end up sobbing on another hotel room floor. And I'm starting to think Jesse was on to something when he said Darcy has a drinking problem. That last episode was so painful to watch that it wasn't even entertaining. She reeks of desperation so bad you smell it for miles.

• Love 15

Was just watching the replay of this ep.  I understand that Darcy is emotionally fragile anyway, but I just finished a 15 hour international flight a couple of weeks ago.  Granted, her flight wasn't 15 hours, but I've done the shorter European runs too and one doesn't get much sleep on these flights, especially in coach.  Between the flight and the stress, I can see her being more of a wreck than usual.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, b2H said:

Was just watching the replay of this ep.  I understand that Darcy is emotionally fragile anyway, but I just finished a 15 hour international flight a couple of weeks ago.  Granted, her flight wasn't 15 hours, but I've done the shorter European runs too and one doesn't get much sleep on these flights, especially in coach.  Between the flight and the stress, I can see her being more of a wreck than usual.

If only someone had done everything possible to ensure Darcy had some downtime before meeting him.......  🤣

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

Darcy is going to end up sobbing on another hotel room floor. And I'm starting to think Jesse was on to something when he said Darcy has a drinking problem. That last episode was so painful to watch that it wasn't even entertaining. She reeks of desperation so bad you smell it for miles.

I believed Jesse then when he said she had a drinking problem.  I think he intended to gaslight and control her about a drinking problem as a way of control, but then he found out that she really did have one.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Honey said:

LOL, Oleg, the 45 year old Russian guy who runs this scam, is frantically scouring the streets of Kiev, trying to find a young woman who's willing to put on a blond wig and fly to Mexico and pretend to be "Maria". "One week, lapochka! Free vacation in Mexico with a rich American man! You won't have to do anything! He's a stupid American man! He'll believe anything you tell him" Hahahahahahahaha.

16 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

All the blood on the sheets showed Tom put up a pretty good fight to keep Darcey off of him...she claims blackout...

Your entire post was hilarious, but this section made me laugh indecently loudly. Can you picture it? Darcy, grabbing Tom, pointing her duck lips at him, pleading "love me! love me!", Tom, trying to escape with as little fuss as possible, getting clocked in the face as Darcy tries to fling her arms around him......I am DYING.

• LOL 14
  • Love 2

Avery's mother has for sure asked to see the manager a few times in her life. 

I got the sense that maybe Avery was from her mom's first marriage / relationship, her mother has remarried and the other kids are the product of that marriage. I wonder if she has a relationship with her Dad? 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
37 minutes ago, Nancybeth said:

I got the sense that maybe Avery was from her mom's first marriage / relationship, her mother has remarried and the other kids are the product of that marriage. I wonder if she has a relationship with her Dad? 

I thought she said she was the oldest of six kids so her mom was obviously a Teen Mom. She seems to have a pretty close relationship with the man she called "Dad," no mention of him being a step-dad. 

1 hour ago, magemaud said:

I thought she said she was the oldest of six kids so her mom was obviously a Teen Mom. She seems to have a pretty close relationship with the man she called "Dad," no mention of him being a step-dad. 

I thought I heard the mom mention a divorce somewhere in the early episodes. Maybe I'm mistaken.

6 hours ago, RealReality said:

LOL...even the guns are pretty!

Have you seen his shop?  He has two (TWO!) guns for sale and you are right - he prettys them up and frankly I think he hires that out.  Those are not the hands of someone using a belt grinder, miter saw or tools of any kind, lol.

9 hours ago, KateHearts said:

Tim has the carefully positioned hair, the plucked brows, the nail polish- I think he said in his intro episode that  he thinks "looks are important," and he makes that very obvious

I agree and I am not sure how Jeniffer thinks she is getting a manly man with Tim.  He is a proud NON manly man.  Not my cup of tea but hey, Tim, you be Tim!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Tom got up and hauled ass out of bed before Darcy got her morning boner and jumped his limp, uninterested tallywhacker....

I am now snorting all my internal organs out my nose, thank you. TALLYWHACKER!

18 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:
On 8/28/2019 at 1:19 PM, renatae said:

When Jeniffer called Tim a "pussy" for not having dirt under his nails, I saw an incipient Evilyn. Big time.}

I'm in LA and plenty of men regularly get manicures. If you have weak nails like I do, and I'm sure some men too, clear nail polish is a better option than none.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, readheaded said:

Jeniffer is simply awful and apparently has never heard that "pretty is as pretty does."  

She is another one who definitely needs her best angles, she has a very long face from the eyes down but you don't notice it when she can pose.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2