Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Now We're Talking

• Start Topic

So now the show's off indefinitely, with no return date even suggested by CBS. Sounds like 'cancellation' to me.

I say the show is a goner, and CBS is now trying to fast-forward something into production at this point to fill that hour for the remainder of this season. The newest ratings for this season (after the February 'sweeps' but before the March 10 disaster) has the show at an all-time low in 11 years, down 27% from last season. They're now averaging half the audience of their rival 'The View' in it's 24th Season, which is drawing in 3M viewers each day.  Osbourne unwittingly did the network a favor, and helped them dump the show.

Just my opinion...we'll see what happens.

BTW, KUDOS to ABC and 'The View' for not even mentioning Osbourne on their show so far.

And now an angry Elaine has something to say:

https://pagesix.com/2021/03/19/sharon-osbourne-accused-of-spreading-lies-about-the-talk-co-hosts/?utm_source=maropost&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pagesixdaily&utm_content=20210320&tpcc=pagesix_daily&mpweb=755-9323373-720591830

Edited by LetsStartTalking
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

It should be noted that Entertainment Tonight is also part of the Viacom CBS family (unrelated to this story,  Nischelle Turner is now the new weekday co host of the show, and she along with Kevin Frazier marks the first time the show is hosted by two people of colour. )

Now I haven't seen the interview with Frazier did with Sharon (and I'm not sure that she should be talking to the media AT ALL right now), but apparently Kevin posted about it on his Instagram.  That didn't go over well. https://pagesix.com/2021/03/17/kevin-frazier-dinged-for-suggesting-black-women-educate-sharon-osbourne/

March Madness ain't just for basketball on CBS any more. I think CBS got more than they bargained for with this interview.  Yay for ratings, but oy vey to this dumpster fire of a fall out. 

• Love 12

I think the hiatus may keep getting extended because now that Sharon's behavior that's continued for years has been pretty much confirmed the floodgates have been opened in regards to people coming forward with issues concerning her. Continued issues being raised about her, trying to work out an exit and dealing with the drama she's along with her legal team are probably causing.  I wonder if others had been hesitant about coming forward to HR about Sharon because they were scared she might be able to affect them getting future work. Complaints like this probably wouldn't have gotten much attention by HR if Les was still running things. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he had other complaints swept under the rug in regards to the show since his wife was hosting. 

With March Madness going on this isn't exactly the worst time for a hiatus like this to occur.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Agree with all the above. I googled what she said about Susan, and it was really cruel. I think if the recent fiasco were a one-time deal with Sharon, we could probably move on. There are people who genuinely don't get how certain things they say and do are hurtful. With Sharon's history of drama, being mean and different hosts saying she has indeed been racist, I don't think this is cancel culture either. If this were a sweet old lady who had a bad day and not the type to ever want to hurt anybody, she'd probably continue as a host. 

lol IKR. The only women's talk show where I like every single host is The Real. I tend to watch it last just because what they discuss is usually not as time sensitive, but the women are all lovely. 

Exactly @RealHousewife. How many "mistakes" can one make like that until the few who defend them realize their friend is getting their just desserts? 

And ditto on The Real. At least one of these shows is "problematic asshole"-free. Lol. Loni in particular has improved so much since last season. 

4 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

So now the show's off indefinitely, with no return date even suggested by CBS. Sounds like 'cancellation' to me.

I say the show is a goner, and CBS is now trying to fast-forward something into production at this point to fill that hour for the remainder of this season. 

And now an angry Elaine has something to say:

https://pagesix.com/2021/03/19/sharon-osbourne-accused-of-spreading-lies-about-the-talk-co-hosts/?utm_source=maropost&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pagesixdaily&utm_content=20210320&tpcc=pagesix_daily&mpweb=755-9323373-720591830

I would agree with you that the bad ratings coupled with an even lengthier hiatus are the final nails in the coffin for the show, but then I remembered the drama going on with Wendy Williams two years ago: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/wendy-williams-show-returning-without-2305000065.html. Her ratings at the time weren't as bad as The Talk's, but her show could've been axed with the constant failed return dates and two month long breaks (along with the BS excuses for why she took so much time off). She should thank her lucky stars she weathered that storm. 

Love Elaine's response to ET. 

48 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

It should be noted that Entertainment Tonight is also part of the Viacom CBS family (unrelated to this story,  Nischelle Turner is now the new weekday co host of the show, and she along with Kevin Frazier marks the first time the show is hosted by two people of colour. )

Now I haven't seen the interview with Frazier did with Sharon (and I'm not sure that she should be talking to the media AT ALL right now), but apparently Kevin posted about it on his Instagram.  That didn't go over well. https://pagesix.com/2021/03/17/kevin-frazier-dinged-for-suggesting-black-women-educate-sharon-osbourne/

March Madness ain't just for basketball on CBS any more. I think CBS got more than they bargained for with this interview.  Yay for ratings, but oy vey to this dumpster fire of a fall out. 

Amanda Seales isn't one of my favorite people, but she gets major points from me for calling Kevin Frazier out. 

Speaking of Sharon talking to the media (instead of closing her trap for once), here are some excerpts from her interview with the Daily Mail addressing Leah's claims over the racist and homophobic comments made against Julie and Sara: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/sharon-osbourne-repeats-racial-slur-181901112.html.

Edited by rmcrae
Fixing link
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Another thing to keep in mind - unrelated to the show, but six days after the most controversial moment in the show's history came the tragedy in the Atlanta area. CBS really can't put Sharon back on now and not expect to face even more backlash. I just hope it's not the end of the show. Yes, ratings are down (in no small part due to affiliates preempting the show's timeslot for governors' briefings on COVID-19), but I would hate for Sheryl, Carrie Ann (who wasn't even on the show that day because she was sick), Elaine and Amanda - not to mention the crew (many of the hair, makeup, wardrobe, camera people have been there from Day One) to lose their jobs.

Let's hope that they will use this "extended hiatus" to retool the show, plug in a new co-host, regroup and be ready to go once March Madness and the preemptions from that will be over. We can only hope!!

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Another thing to keep in mind - unrelated to the show, but six days after the most controversial moment in the show's history came the tragedy in the Atlanta area. CBS really can't put Sharon back on now and not expect to face even more backlash. I just hope it's not the end of the show. Yes, ratings are down (in no small part due to affiliates preempting the show's timeslot for governors' briefings on COVID-19), but I would hate for Sheryl, Carrie Ann (who wasn't even on the show that day because she was sick), Elaine and Amanda - not to mention the crew (many of the hair, makeup, wardrobe, camera people have been there from Day One) to lose their jobs.

Let's hope that they will use this "extended hiatus" to retool the show, plug in a new co-host, regroup and be ready to go once March Madness and the preemptions from that will be over. We can only hope!!

I believe they will. It's unfortunate that it took all of this for CBS to finally wake up and do away with the biggest pain in the show's ass, but better late than never. Even if they do all of that and the ship still sinks, at least it'll go down without Witchypoo. 

• Love 11

Bye-bye Sharon! What sealed the deal on my hatred for Sharon was a few years ago seeing a clip of her talking about a meeting she and Ozzie had had with record  company execs in the 80s where he bit off head of a dove. There are photos of it and it’s disgusting and you see Sharon staring at him and laughing. So for all her claims of being such an animal lover she is the biggest piece of bullshit out there.  so long you two faced, lying, racist , homophobic animal abusing cohort  bitch. let’s hope. 

• Love 8
On 3/16/2021 at 6:54 PM, Angeleyes said:

Sharon just appeared on Entertainment Tonight and will be on tomorrow as well. She’s basically saying that because of a previous episode where the producers had Elaine ask Carrie Ann a question about using the N word the cast as group agreed that they’d never spring gotcha questions on each other at the producers urging. Sharon felt that promise was broken that day because Sheryl and Elaine were reading those type of questions off the blue cards that day. She said that’s why she lost it. She said 30 minutes before the show the producers asked if she wanted to address the issue and she agreed, but then 8 minutes before show time a producer came up and said “what if we say one of them doesn’t agree with you?” and Sharon said that would be okay too. She just didn’t know that she would be the sole focus of the segment. She apologized for her behavior and Kevin Frazier told her that it was probably on her to know about Piers background before defending him since he was her friend. I’m paraphrasing all of this and it’s definitely worth seeing the full segment. It sounded like Sharon doesn’t know where they will all go from here. She wants there to be more conversation about it on the show, but isn’t sure if there is too much damage done at this point. 

Update: ET has posted the story

https://www.etonline.com/sharon-osbourne-on-her-future-at-the-talk-says-she-never-shouldve-dismissed-sheryl-underwood-162441

Reposting this for those that missed the interview. 

3 hours ago, mtlchick said:

• Love 1

I would agree with you that the bad ratings coupled with an even lengthier hiatus are the final nails in the coffin for the show, but then I remembered the drama going on with Wendy Williams two years ago: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/wendy-williams-show-returning-without-2305000065.html. Her ratings at the time weren't as bad as The Talk's, but her show could've been axed with the constant failed return dates and two month long breaks (along with the BS excuses for why she took so much time off). She should thank her lucky stars she weathered that storm. 

Tow completely different situations.

WW was on hiatus due to a medical leave, not because she said something offensive/racist, or had a blow-up with her cohosts.  Audiences are more sympathetic  and understanding with a medical leave, no matter the issue.  WW also has more decision-making in her show, as she is the creator, her production team is co-owner, and her show is syndicated (not network owned). She's not answering to a major network, so she could return whenever she wanted. If she lost some syndicated stations during her hiatus, she could sell her show easily to a competing station in the same market. Any way you slice it, it was a win for WW. 

TT has much more at stake, as this is network-owned. The hosts aren't making decisions, they are not deciding the fate of the show, and if CBS axes them they have nowhere to turn. They don't have the same leeway as a syndicated show. And Osbourne is not gaining any sympathy or understanding from her audience.

Again, my belief is CBS is wasting no time to find a replacement for this timeslot, and will ax the show as soon as they have one.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, LetsStartTalking said:

Tow completely different situations.

WW was on hiatus due to a medical leave, not because she said something offensive/racist, or had a blow-up with her cohosts.  Audiences are more sympathetic  and understanding with a medical leave, no matter the issue.  WW also has more decision-making in her show, as she is the creator, her production team is co-owner, and her show is syndicated (not network owned). She's not answering to a major network, so she could return whenever she wanted. If she lost some syndicated stations during her hiatus, she could sell her show easily to a competing station in the same market. Any way you slice it, it was a win for WW. 

TT has much more at stake, as this is network-owned. The hosts aren't making decisions, they are not deciding the fate of the show, and if CBS axes them they have nowhere to turn. They don't have the same leeway as a syndicated show. And Osbourne is not gaining any sympathy or understanding from her audience.

Again, my belief is CBS is wasting no time to find a replacement for this timeslot, and will ax the show as soon as they have one.

If this were The Sharon Osbourne Show, I'd agree. However, The Talk is a panel show. Yes, the ratings have gone down and this Sharon fiasco is yet another headache for the network, but they still have a chance to repair the show. Everybody and their mother knows Sharon's a goner and after CBS puts their plan into action by sending her on her way with a nice chunk of change, they still have four other hosts left. It wouldn't make sense to throw the whole thing away without attempting to save what's left. Especially since this scandal is putting them on the pop culture radar. It's up to them how they maneuver this, but I don't think there'll be any slow singin' and flower bringin' just yet. We'll see.

• Love 10

My guess is, regardless of whether the show is cancelled or not, that things keep being pushed back because Sharon is being a real bitch as they try to end her contract, and they now realize that whatever agreement is reached to fire her is not going to come easy. I have no doubt the woman who cheerfully admitted to sending Tiffany boxes full of her shit to people she disliked is really raising hell. She seems to have engaged in a lot of behind-the-scenes scheming and plotting that other people turned a blind eye to, at the very least, and I am sure she thinks that is leverage. I saw a Daily Fail article that goes after Sheryl today, and I would be surprised if Sharon's team didn't plant it as a means of burning the whole thing down with her. 

And I don't feel sorry for CBS. I never liked Sharon. I used to watch The Talk a few years ago when I was in grad school and kept a lot of daytime television on as background when I worked on my thesis, but I was familiar with her from other things before then. She was awful, but it's not like she didn't have a well-earned reputation and very visible presence as an awful person. She's never disguised that part of herself. It's not like Ellen's scandal last year where she has a reputation as the "Be Kind" person and is unveiled as not living up to that. I am sure the network feels blindsided by this, but they shouldn't. In a way, I am surprised it has taken over a decade for her to implode like this. (I'm separating her cohosts from the network. I do feel sorry for them.) 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 11

I don't really have any comment on the drama exactly, just wanted to say I'll be glad if Sharon is gone from the show. I always liked Julie and especially Sheryl--Carrie Ann seemed like a good fit, too--but I could never keep watching because Sharon was there. It's hard enough for me to continuously watch fluff talkshows like these when I like the people in question. I would never have guessed she'd have lasted longer than anyone from that first season--particularly Julie! You never can tell how the world turns.

And that's another thing--I won't mourn this show if it gets cancelled since I remember being really annoyed when they cancelled As the World Turns. I had started watching that soap for Luke, Noah, and Reid's storyline. I would've rather one of the ABC soaps I never watched had bit the dust. I think there was a lot of celebrating The Chew's cancellation for the same reason (residual anger over a soap being cancelled from that time slot), from what I remember, and The Chew was a much more popular show than The Talk has ever been.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
17 minutes ago, Zella said:

My guess is, regardless of whether the show is cancelled or not, that things keep being pushed back because Sharon is being a real bitch as they try to end her contract, and they now realize that whatever agreement is reached to fire her is not going to come easy. I have no doubt the woman who cheerfully admitted to sending Tiffany boxes full of her shit to people she disliked is really raising hell. She seems to have engaged in a lot of behind-the-scenes scheming and plotting that other people turned a blind eye to, at the very least, and I am sure she thinks that is leverage. I saw a Daily Fail article that goes after Sheryl today, and I would be surprised if Sharon's team didn't plant it as a means of burning the whole thing down with her. 

And I don't feel sorry for CBS. I never liked Sharon. I used to watch The Talk a few years ago when I was in grad school and kept a lot of daytime television on as background when I worked on my thesis, but I was familiar with her from other things before then. She was awful, but it's not like she didn't have a well-earned reputation and very visible presence as an awful person. She's never disguised that part of herself. It's not like Ellen's scandal last year where she has a reputation as the "Be Kind" person and is unveiled as not living up to that. I am sure the network feels blindsided by this, but they shouldn't. In a way, I am surprised it has taken over a decade for her to implode like this. (I'm separating her cohosts from the network. I do feel sorry for them.) 

I'm curious as to why Sharon was hired in the first place too, @Zella. I initially watched the show for Holly since she who I was most familiar with. I knew Julie from BB, Sara as Darlene and Leah from King of Queens, but the addition of Sharon was a head scratcher from the start. Not only because of her well-known bitchiness and crass behavior, but she had failed talk shows in both the US and the UK. Maybe they thought her outrageousness (that didn't involve feces in Tiffany boxes or decapitated bat heads) would bring something extra to the show, but now they're realizing it wasn't worth it. 

13 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I don't really have any comment on the drama exactly, just wanted to say I'll be glad if Sharon is gone from the show. I always liked Julie and especially Sheryl--Carrie Ann seemed like a good fit, too--but I could never keep watching because Sharon was there. It's hard enough for me to continuously watch fluff talkshows like these when I like the people in question. I would never have guessed she'd have lasted longer than anyone from that first season-- particularly Julie! You never can tell how the world turns.

And that's another thing--I won't mourn this show if it gets cancelled since I remember being really annoyed when they cancelled As the World Turns. I had started watching that soap for Luke, Noah, and Reid's storyline. I would've rather one of the ABC soaps I never watched had bit the dust. I think there was a lot of celebrating The Chew's cancellation for the same reason (residual anger over a soap being cancelled from that time slot), from what I remember, and The Chew was a much more popular show than The Talk has ever been.

Same. If 11 years ago someone had told me to guess which woman on the original panel would be the last co-host standing, I would've said Julie. I was so sure Sharon was going to leave the show when she announced she was "scaling back" on her appearances before the first season was over, but it was the start of her taking lengthy breaks and having her ass kissed like she's some goddess gracing us mere mortals with her presence. She outlasted all the other originals, but she's going out in the worst way. Even worse than Julie, because her own filthy mouth and disgusting ways over the years cost her the cushiest gig she ever had. 

Nice transition to As the World Turns btw. 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
6 minutes ago, rmcrae said:

I'm curious as to why Sharon was hired in the first place too, @Zella. I initially watched the show for Holly since she who I was most familiar with. I knew Julie from BB, Sara as Darlene and Leah from King of Queens, but the addition of Sharon was a head scratcher from the start. Not only because of her well-known bitchiness and crass behavior, but she had failed talk shows in both the US and the UK. Maybe they thought her outrageousness (that didn't involve feces in Tiffany boxes or decapitated bat heads) would bring something extra to the show, but now they're realizing it wasn't worth it. 

I think you are right. I saw in the recent Yashar Ali article that Sharon was considered the most valuable member of the panel because she was the most controversial, and that was why she had had so much power behind the scenes. To the extent, that it seems like she even had more power than an EP like Sara Gilbert.

The logic behind that is absolutely baffling to me, but I think it must be true. My guess would be they thought she would be the wild card who would shake things up, but they anticipated her being more manageable than she actually was--maybe the thinking being that she is a businesswoman at heart and has a heavy metal persona more than anything--and once they were stuck with her, they excused and rationalized her behavior as potentially being good for ratings. Well, how'd that work out for you, CBS? 😄 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 10
36 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I feel the same way! I remember being mad when they canceled ATWT for that mess. Would it be great if there could be a reboot? It's happening with All My Children apparently so anything can happen, but at the same time I dont think that's ever going to happen in a million years. 

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, Zella said:

I think you are right. I saw in the recent Yashar Ali article that Sharon was considered the most valuable member of the panel because she was the most controversial, and that was why she had had so much power behind the scenes. To the extent, that it seems like she even had more power than an EP like Sara Gilbert.

The logic behind that is absolutely baffling to me, but I think it must be true. My guess would be they thought she would be the wild card who would shake things up, but they anticipated her being more manageable than she actually was--maybe the thinking being that she is a businesswoman at heart and has a heavy metal persona more than anything--and once they were stuck with her, they excused and rationalized her behavior as potentially being good for ratings. Well, how'd that work out for you, CBS? 😄 

Exactly! Lol. A lot of viewers said they'd quit watching the show because of Sharon's alleged (I feel like Star Jones dropping that word in every other post) involvement in Marie Osmond leaving and apparently they did. Hopefully CBS will listen to the fans and hire a better replacement. Hell, a dishrag on a stick would be better behaved than Sharon. 😄

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Zella said:

The logic behind that is absolutely baffling to me, but I think it must be true.

See the exhibit labelled "Meghan McCain".  We may hate that stupid jerks have power, but they do.  Certain portions of the public get behind stupid jerks, for various reasons. Heck, Piers Morgan is an example too. One viewer segment loves the stirring, the troublemaking. Another segment actually agrees with the controversial positions. Even though The Talk isn't well rated, that doesn't mean they don't attribute a good percentage of the viewership they DO have to Sharon being kind of catty and mean. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Kromm said:

See the exhibit labelled "Meghan McCain".  We may hate that stupid jerks have power, but they do.  Certain portions of the public get behind stupid jerks, for various reasons. Heck, Piers Morgan is an example too. One viewer segment loves the stirring, the troublemaking. Another segment actually agrees with the controversial positions. Even though The Talk isn't well rated, that doesn't mean they don't attribute a good percentage of the viewership they DO have to Sharon being kind of catty and mean.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't watch the show for Sharon and never have. I know she has her fans (more like "had" at this point) and there are people who like her antics, but I bet there are a lot more people who simply put up with her because they like the other hosts. Take this forum, for example. The majority of posters have said from the beginning that they don't like her and don't understand why she landed the gig or why she's still here. Time will tell if less eyeballs are on the show following her exit. 

• Love 14
10 hours ago, jkspeaks said:

I feel the same way! I remember being mad when they canceled ATWT for that mess. Would it be great if there could be a reboot? It's happening with All My Children apparently so anything can happen, but at the same time I dont think that's ever going to happen in a million years. 

Loved ATWT and have enjoyed their Zoom reunions that are posted on YouTube. I think when TPTB canceled it they were trying to be trendy and have a chat show like the other networks. Why do networks mess with things that work? I personally don’t know that this show can ever come back and be the same. I think Sharon left a bad taste in everyone’s mouth with her shenanigans. I can’t imagine who they could find to go in and unite the table. 

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Loved ATWT and have enjoyed their Zoom reunions that are posted on YouTube. I think when TPTB canceled it they were trying to be trendy and have a chat show like the other networks. Why do networks mess with things that work? I personally don’t know that this show can ever come back and be the same. I think Sharon left a bad taste in everyone’s mouth with her shenanigans. I can’t imagine who they could find to go in and unite the table. 

I can think of a few names: Brigitte Neilsen, Rumer Willis, Jodie Sweetin, Carnie Wilson. It would be wise for the network to choose someone who's co-hosted more than a few times and received the most positive feedback from viewers. It's simple as pie, but networks make things difficult for themselves sometimes. 

• Love 11

I'm afraid Carrie Ann won't be back, considering her health issues & she seems to be more emotional (the medications) of late.  I'm wondering if she can afford to pull the plug or if she needs the income.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I REALLY think Yvette Nicole Brown would be wonderful as a co-host.  She's smart, funny, well-read & cute-as-a-button.  (Just sayin' in my tiny inside voice!!!)

More:   I really like Brigitte Neilsen's contributions & think she would quickly assume the role of "Earth Mother" ... in a kind way!!  Rumer Willis, Jodie Sweetin & Carnie Wilson would not be my first choices.

Edited by Medicine Crow
More to say.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
45 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I'm afraid Carrie Ann won't be back, considering her health issues & she seems to be more emotional (the medications) of late.  I'm wondering if she can afford to pull the plug or if she needs the income.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I REALLY think Yvette Nicole Brown would be wonderful as a co-host.  She's smart, funny, well-read & cute-as-a-button.  (Just sayin' in my tiny inside voice!!!)

More:   I really like Brigitte Neilsen's contributions & think she would quickly assume the role of "Earth Mother" ... in a kind way!!  Rumer Willis, Jodie Sweetin & Carnie Wilson would not be my first choices.

100%! YNB and Brigitte would make the show much more entertaining than Rumer, Jodie or Carnie imo. Nothing against those ladies. I just don’t find them the most interesting tbh, but I know opinions vary on them. 😃 YNB is intelligent, funny, passionate and kind. Brigitte is unpredictable kind of like Sharon, except she is kind too. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I'm afraid Carrie Ann won't be back, considering her health issues & she seems to be more emotional (the medications) of late. I'm wondering if she can afford to pull the plug or if she needs the income.

I hope she's able to get through all of this and remain on the show, but stress is the last thing one needs while dealing with Lupus/autoimmune disorders. Hopefully this break will do her good. 

I would love Yvette Nicole Brown as a replacement too, but I'm not sure if she'd be interested in committing full-time. I could be wrong. She or Brigitte would probably be the best candidates.

• Love 10
22 hours ago, rmcrae said:

If this were The Sharon Osbourne Show, I'd agree. However, The Talk is a panel show. Yes, the ratings have gone down and this Sharon fiasco is yet another headache for the network, but they still have a chance to repair the show. Everybody and their mother knows Sharon's a goner and after CBS puts their plan into action by sending her on her way with a nice chunk of change, they still have four other hosts left. It wouldn't make sense to throw the whole thing away without attempting to save what's left. Especially since this scandal is putting them on the pop culture radar. It's up to them how they maneuver this, but I don't think there'll be any slow singin' and flower bringin' just yet. We'll see.

It doesn't matter that this is a panel show compared to Williams. What matters most is that this is a NETWORK show and Wendy's a syndicated show. A syndie show does not cost as much as a network show, and there's much more leeway with a syndie show (and just one host to deal with). This show is a money-loser for CBS, and Osbourne is their easy way out. Don't forget - September - February ratings were released just before this spectacle aired, and no way was CBS celebrating their low ratings.

This is the lowest rated network daytime show this season, with a history of problems (since the Moonves fiasco in 2018). They can easily cancel this show, which wouldn't cost as much in pay-outs for their five hosts as it would if they fired Osbourne. Firing as star / host comes with more repercussions for the network than just canceling a show due to ratings.

• Useful 3

I don't know if that would ever happen, but YNB would be like the anti-Sharon. I would start watching every day with her, Sheryl, and Carrie Ann. No comment on the other previous guest fill-ins, aside from the fact that I'm not crazy about Carnie. There's nothing wrong with her, it's just when she talks it's like nothing is being said because she's trying to say what everyone wants to hear rather than something genuine. I wasn't a fan of Osmond either, she has always come across very dead-eyed and robotic. I wonder if Eve would ever consider coming back. She was a good filler seat--not a plus, but at least not a minus, and seemed like she was always well-prepared. I always thought maybe she wanted out because of reasons she wouldn't have revealed to anyone. I can't remember when it was she left, but if it was while Osmond was there, I imagine there was a lot of gossiping and bitching by Sheryl and Sharon BTS, which wouldn't have been pleasant. Eve seems like one of those nice people who would opt out of drama.

• Love 7

My impression of Sharon's MO, based on what Leah Remini has said, is that she pretends to be friendly while fomenting backbiting and nastiness toward other people. But she doesn't tell you that she is doing the same thing to you behind your back with other people. 

My guess would be everyone who left probably wanted to get away from the show's toxic environment even if they gave perfectly neutral reasons for doing so. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 10

Until the disaster that was Sharon Osbourne's behavior a couple of weeks ago, I had no idea Marie Osmond was no longer on the show.  I watched regularly when the show first aired; they discussed a lot topical issues, so many pertaining to women.  I never liked Sharon O and always thought she was a wolf in sheep's clothing; but she held herself back a good bit.  The soft, lilting accent, etc.  

Sadly, I would not be surprised if she is able to weather this storm and stay on the show; the network may be afraid of the backlash if they fire her.  She would go on the publicity train and make herself a martyr for speaking her truth.  And it could work.  Canceling the show could be the easiest way for the network to go.  And that is sad because there is room for a show that discusses news and women's issues; with no arguing and shrieking, insulting one another, etc.  I feel that way about The View nowadays, too.  Life is stressful enough without a group of women (usually it is just one woman in a group) seeking attention, controversy and headlines.

• Love 10

Yvette Nicole Brown is in the middle of directing her first movie right now so she would not be available immediately. She also just completed a show for Disney so she may be required for filming a season 2. I think she doesn’t like to commit to a daily talk show format because she helps with taking care of a family member so it’s easier for her to have shorter term projects. Plus, she has been moving into producing, writing and directing.  

The problem with Brigitte and Eve is that they both live in Europe so traveling back and forth is difficult with their families, especially since Eve and her husband are trying to conceive. Brigitte has kids that she needs to be available for. Also, there continues to be lockdowns in Europe that prevent travel. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

It doesn't matter that this is a panel show compared to Williams. What matters most is that this is a NETWORK show and Wendy's a syndicated show. A syndie show does not cost as much as a network show, and there's much more leeway with a syndie show (and just one host to deal with). This show is a money-loser for CBS, and Osbourne is their easy way out. Don't forget - September - February ratings were released just before this spectacle aired, and no way was CBS celebrating their low ratings.

This is the lowest rated network daytime show this season, with a history of problems (since the Moonves fiasco in 2018). They can easily cancel this show, which wouldn't cost as much in pay-outs for their five hosts as it would if they fired Osbourne. Firing as star / host comes with more repercussions for the network than just canceling a show due to ratings.

That's possible. That's why all I can say is that we'll have to wait and see. Whatever happens, happens.

4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I don't know if that would ever happen, but YNB would be like the anti-Sharon. I would start watching every day with her, Sheryl, and Carrie Ann. No comment on the other previous guest fill-ins, aside from the fact that I'm not crazy about Carnie. There's nothing wrong with her, it's just when she talks it's like nothing is being said because she's trying to say what everyone wants to hear rather than something genuine. I wasn't a fan of Osmond either, she has always come across very dead-eyed and robotic. I wonder if Eve would ever consider coming back. She was a good filler seat--not a plus, but at least not a minus, and seemed like she was always well-prepared. I always thought maybe she wanted out because of reasons she wouldn't have revealed to anyone. I can't remember when it was she left, but if it was while Osmond was there, I imagine there was a lot of gossiping and bitching by Sheryl and Sharon BTS, which wouldn't have been pleasant. Eve seems like one of those nice people who would opt out of drama.

Eve left because it was too difficult for her to do the show from England. She's working on a pilot for ABC: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/eve-abc-pilot-queens-1234911427/#. Obviously I don't know the woman personally, but I never understood why Sheryl's name was lumped in with Sharon's about running Marie off the show. We all know Sharon's a backstabber who'll do anything to secure her spot, but Sheryl seems like too nice a person and a team player to join Mrs. O at her cauldron. 

1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Until the disaster that was Sharon Osbourne's behavior a couple of weeks ago, I had no idea Marie Osmond was no longer on the show.  I watched regularly when the show first aired; they discussed a lot topical issues, so many pertaining to women.  I never liked Sharon O and always thought she was a wolf in sheep's clothing; but she held herself back a good bit.  The soft, lilting accent, etc.  

Sadly, I would not be surprised if she is able to weather this storm and stay on the show; the network may be afraid of the backlash if they fire her. She would go on the publicity train and make herself a martyr for speaking her truth. And it could work. Canceling the show could be the easiest way for the network to go.  And that is sad because there is room for a show that discusses news and women's issues; with no arguing and shrieking, insulting one another, etc.  I feel that way about The View nowadays, too.  Life is stressful enough without a group of women (usually it is just one woman in a group) seeking attention, controversy and headlines.

She's done at least three interviews since that episode and rightfully received backlash for not taking accountability for her actions. She blamed her co-hosts and then the network and to make matters worse for CBS and herself, she posted an email from Holly Robinson Peete accusing the network of blacklisting Holly and Leah and feeding lies to the press to protect Julie and Les. Not a smart move to make when you're trying to keep your job. Add on to that Leah's allegations of racist and homophobic remarks and the reemergence of Sharon's comment about Meghan Markle "not looking black" from 2018. It's like a snowball effect. CBS would be stupid beyond all comprehension to keep this woman on the show and not expect more people to flip the channel. She's finally stepped into something she can't come back from and it's been a long time coming.

I forgot Brigitte lives in Europe. Her sons are all grown, but she has a little girl and of course her husband. Maybe if we wish hard enough the stars will align and the Lord will make a way out of no way. Get to prayin', people! Lol. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, rmcrae said:

Obviously I don't know the woman personally, but I never understood why Sheryl's name was lumped in with Sharon's about running Marie off the show. We all know Sharon's a backstabber who'll do anything to secure her spot, but Sheryl seems like too nice a person and a team player to join Mrs. O at her cauldron. 

I liked Sheryl when I watched the show, but Sharon seems like the type of person who can weaponize someone else unwittingly. It seems like early in the show's run, Leah and Holly thought Sharon was on their side, and Holly even believed that for a while after she was fired. I suspect, like a lot of skilled manipulators, Sharon knows how to play people like a fiddle, and she may have known how to push Sheryl's buttons against Marie Osmond, especially if she's telling her untrue things Marie said about her. 

Not saying it's a given that Sheryl was actually involved, but it wouldn't surprise me if it proves to be true. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Zella said:

I liked Sheryl when I watched the show, but Sharon seems like the type of person who can weaponize someone else unwittingly. It seems like early in the show's run, Leah and Holly thought Sharon was on their side, and Holly even believed that for a while after she was fired. I suspect, like a lot of skilled manipulators, Sharon knows how to play people like a fiddle, and she may have known how to push Sheryl's buttons against Marie Osmond, especially if she's telling her untrue things Marie said about her. 

Not saying it's a given that Sheryl was actually involved, but it wouldn't surprise me if it proves to be true. 

I hope it's not. Sheryl seems too mature and intelligent to fall for the "so and so's been gossiping about you" game. I do know one thing though. Sharon would need all the voodoo in the world to get me to do anything for her. I'd have my crucifix on the ready for her. 

11 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

It can. The ratings are down therefore the ad revenue is down. It might be cheaper just to create a new show. 

I'd hate to see that happen. Not only because I like the other four co-hosts, but turning this show around sans Sharon would really stick it to the witch. 

• Love 8

I just checked Brigitte’s Instagram and it does seem that she’s currently living in Los Angeles. I based my previous response on what Brigitte stated when she hosted previously. She may have had residency in both locations until the lockdowns began to happen. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I must say that I was skeptical when Elaine & Amanda "appeared all of a sudden", but it didn't take long to warm up to those lovely ladies.  Maybe CBS has someone in their "back pocket" that might surprise us.  Here's hoping (& praying)!!

• Love 8

If the show wants another "older woman" to fill the hopefully-soon-to-be-vacant spot, I wonder if Vicki Lawrence would be available and interested? Didn't she have a talk show at some point?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, rmcrae said:

but turning this show around sans Sharon would really stick it to the witch. 

True, but if Sharon threatens to sue the show/producers (for whatever reasons), it would be easier to cancel the Talk, wait 6-12 months, and then come back with a few new hosts and new name (same premise, different vibe).

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

It can. The ratings are down therefore the ad revenue is down. It might be cheaper just to create a new show. 

This is what I've been saying all along. Financially, it's just not worth saving. It is not making revenue for the network, it's gotten all negative press in the past few weeks which they can't use to their advantage - so why try to save this ? Just tear it down and start over - which is what I think is happening behind the scenes now.

As a matter of fact, I think they may be working on introducing something for 'May sweeps' which starts in about 4 weeks - so they will probably just keep running repeats until then. The new show may just run for the summer, and they may have a more permanent replacement for September. Or it may be a hit and stick around permanently.

I'd be shocked if this show returns at all.

• Love 5

If they have decided to cancel, that would be another reason to postpone an announcement indefinitely. A couple of days ago, I posited they did that because they are having to difficulty negotiating a contract end with Sharon, but having to negotiate one with everyone would take some time too. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, EllenB said:

If the show wants another "older woman" to fill the hopefully-soon-to-be-vacant spot, I wonder if Vicki Lawrence would be available and interested? Didn't she have a talk show at some point?

Yep, she had one back in the 90s. She's guest co-hosted a handful of times over the years and was good, but I think Brigitte Neilsen is a better choice. 

8 hours ago, MsTree said:

True, but if Sharon threatens to sue the show/producers (for whatever reasons), it would be easier to cancel the Talk, wait 6-12 months, and then come back with a few new hosts and new name (same premise, different vibe).

If that ends up happening hopefully CBS will be more mindful about who they hire for the redo. 

• Love 7

Maybe one way to keep Sharon from not suing over being "let go" would be for the network to hire that entitled, talentless daughter of hers.  I would not put it past everyone involved.  Am I the only one this has occurred to?😁    

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

Maybe one way to keep Sharon from not suing over being "let go" would be for the network to hire that entitled, talentless daughter of hers.  I would not put it past everyone involved.  Am I the only one this has occurred to?😁    

OMG, perish the thought!!!

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

🤮🤮🤮

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

She can't be worse than the daughter on The View.

• LOL 11
  • Love 3