Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Now We're Talking

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Zella said:

If they have decided to cancel, that would be another reason to postpone an announcement indefinitely. A couple of days ago, I posited they did that because they are having to difficulty negotiating a contract end with Sharon, but having to negotiate one with everyone would take some time too. 

Canceling is easy - all the network has to do is contact the manager of each host and inform him/her that they've decided to cancel the show due to low ratings, and have them ask their client to come in ASAP and clean out her Office. The terms of cancellation are already in each host's contract, so the severance pay is already spelled out for each one.

Then the network immediately puts out a press release saying the show is canceled, before any of the hosts gets hold of the media.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I'm feeling bad for Sheryl, who supports her sister; Amanda, with a young child;  & Carrie Ann, who is single & in poor health.  Elaine is married, so she'll be okay.  I hope they get to keep their jobs with a new co-host that will meld well with the group (Brigitte).

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

And no Rosie O’Donnell either!

Rosie wouldn't want to do the show. I remember when she filled in shortly after Julie left there was talk about her possibly being a replacement and she said she never wanted the gig nor did they ask if she was interested. It would've been a verbal bloodbath between her and Sharon. 

57 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Maybe we can agree that no new hire should be the daughter of a celebrity... any celebrity. So no to Carnie Wilson and Rumer Willis. Or wife of....

Rumer's not the typical "celebrity spoiled brat" and she has insightful things to share so that's why she gets my vote.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

According to the story I read, the photo isn't real.  That said, if the article is accurate, it wasn't one dove, it was two.  I am an animal lover, so I am not happy about that at all.  Again, if true.

It will be interesting to see how the whole The Talk thing plays out.

If they cancelled the series, it wouldn't be that difficult to stick something in that spot  They could put on an old tv series or game show until they decide for sure what they want to do.

I believe the photo was real if he did it and he did do it because she said so herself in an interview, it wasn’t supposed to happen but I guess they were so high or fucked up or what, he bit the head off or twisted it off, a dove or two. Doesn’t change the fact that she is a total piece of shit in every aspect. 
and that wasn’t the photo I saw. It was much more realistic, not Ozzy with that idiotic face. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Kemper said:

Maybe one way to keep Sharon from not suing over being "let go" would be for the network to hire that entitled, talentless daughter of hers.  I would not put it past everyone involved.  Am I the only one this has occurred to?😁    

Bite your tongue!! 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

There is a hit piece on Sheryl at the Daily mail calling her a hypocrite for defending George Lopez on the show. I wonder who are the confidential sources feeding them this information.  We all know that this is Sharon and her people who are out and about smearing Sheryl.  

I do think that Sharon will be fired to save the show but she is making it very painful for the show, she knows where the bodies are buried and I feel no sympathy for CBS for giving her so much power over the years.  Even Julie would kiss her ass and she was the boss' wife, how embarrassing!  I do feel bad for the other ladies who should not lose their jobs over her.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, rmcrae said:

Rosie wouldn't want to do the show. I remember when she filled in shortly after Julie left there was talk about her possibly being a replacement and she said she never wanted the gig nor did they ask if she was interested. It would've been a verbal bloodbath between her and Sharon. 

Rumer's not the typical "celebrity spoiled brat" and she has insightful things to share so that's why she gets my vote.

I'm a big Rosie O fan. I remember I really enjoyed her own talk show back in the day. She was fun and funny. I liked what I saw of Rosie on The View too. She was outspoken, but she came from a good place. I remember Elizabeth was really ugly toward her. 

I agree. Rumer isn't my first pick, but from what I've seen of her on The Talk and her time on DWTS, she's always been absolutely lovely. 

1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

I'm feeling bad for Sheryl, who supports her sister; Amanda, with a young child;  & Carrie Ann, who is single & in poor health.  Elaine is married, so she'll be okay.  I hope they get to keep their jobs with a new co-host that will meld well with the group (Brigitte).

I know. I really wish all these women well with their careers. This recent crap is not their fault. I hope they keep their jobs and we'll just get a nice, new host to replace Sharon. Powers that be, please read these boards! There's hope for the show. Just get a new host who's opinionated and strong but not a racist or an asshole. We need seem spice, but we'd like to keep it nice. 

• Love 13

This is the time period when shows get axed because there are only a few weeks left until the end of the season in May and networks are deciding which shows will be greenlit for the fall TV season. CBS could easily show repeats until the end, although they will want something that would produce revenue during May sweeps. 

If they decide to keep the show and hire a new cohost I hope they will go for a younger hire like Jodie Sweetin or her friend Christine Lakin. They are both former child stars and both have guest hosted before. I think Christine Lakin is really smart and funny. She has her own podcast and she is also a producer and director. She’s not afraid to speak her mind. Jodie has guest hosted quite a bit and I thought she did a good job. She’s had a lot of experience in her life that would give her insight to the hot topics. 

• Love 4

I see all these actor casting suggestions. 

I'm not into it. 

In my opinion The View, as bad as it can occasionally be, is a stronger show because only 1 cast member is an actor. 

• Love 6

If Sharon does not come back they seriously will need a big draw to get the ratings up. I think Rosie and Marie could do that. I like Brigitte a lot but I don't think she's a big enough to get the ratings where they need to be.  Kathy Griffin needs a job and a 2nd chance, but I doubt that will ever happen.  Plus, I don't know if she would be a fit for this show.  

• Love 1

Here's a link to the Daily Mail article @Pearson80 mentioned about Sheryl: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9376459/Sheryl-Underwood-defended-George-Lopez-2017-called-black-woman-b-h.html

"A source told DailyMail.com that Underwood - who became visibly upset during her on-air row with Osbourne last week - is also having anger management classes after allegedly bullying producers on the show. 

The insider said: 'In July of last year three producers from The Talk went to HR about Sheryl Underwood's constant bullying. 

'Sheryl threw a producer out of her dressing room. He became terrified of her. She was later brought into HR and told that she had to go into anger management. 

'However she only recently started the anger management program because of Covid. It's well known on set that Sheryl is very volatile."

Seriously fuck Sharon for throwing Sheryl under the bus with this "angry black woman" shit just to cover her own ass! 

1 minute ago, A.J. said:

If Sharon does not come back they seriously will need a big draw to get the ratings up. I think Rosie and Marie could do that. I like Brigitte a lot but I don't think she's a big enough to get the ratings where they need to be.  Kathy Griffin needs a job and a 2nd chance, but I doubt that will ever happen.  Plus, I don't know if she would be a fit for this show.  

A huge NO to Kathy Griffin from me as well. She certainly wouldn't fit on this show. I like Marie, but I don't think her return would make the ratings go through the roof. I'm like a broken record, but again, pick someone who's already filled in more than once and has the most chemistry with the panel. Huge names can come with huge drama and there's been enough drama already. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I know CBS doesn't have the deepest News bench these days, but is it REALLY impossible to find a female news person, looking for a slower in-studio gig, and give it to her?  Is it really preferable that The Talk continue as such a lightweight show? 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kromm said:

I see all these actor casting suggestions. 

I'm not into it. 

In my opinion The View, as bad as it can occasionally be, is a stronger show because only 1 cast member is an actor. 

I've noticed even reality shows often become less entertaining once the cast becomes all actors. Actors tend to be more image conscious and it becomes boring when they can't stop acting. You want genuine opinions and real reactions for reality TV and talk shows. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 7

Well, The Talk is not a political show, so I don't expect many opinions to be challenged. It was always a fluff, lightweight show that didn't talk about anything substantial to me? I was thinking of people I know can be entertaining in that format because they've proven it via guest stints or previous lightweight shows.

I don't think Kathy Griffin would work on a talk show for the same reason I knew she was a bad pick for Fashion Police out the gate. Her schtick is telling long stories, not delivering one-liners like comedians have to do on these kinds of shows. I do like her though.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, catlover79 said:

This article rings true to me.  I understand that on these types of shows there will be different viewpoints; as it should be.  It is just that I will not watch a show where one person spews vitriol guised as opinion; I won't watch a show where there is obvious tension among the hosts.  And it boils down to one host causing the problems ; and yes, almost always to get attention on media platforms.  I have even read about the comments and dust-ups on regular news sites...CNN, MSNBC, etc.  But I do wonder how it translates to ratings.

I will not watch a show where one host drives the tension.  I think I read where ratings for The View went up when Megan was out on maternity leave.  It would be interesting to see what happens if the network fires Sharon and gets a replacement; and then check the ratings after a few weeks.  Who knows, they may get regular viewers back and maybe even some new ones.  At this point what do they have to lose.

• Love 7
On 3/22/2021 at 8:54 PM, Pearson80 said:

There is a hit piece on Sheryl at the Daily mail calling her a hypocrite for defending George Lopez on the show. I wonder who are the confidential sources feeding them this information.  We all know that this is Sharon and her people who are out and about smearing Sheryl.

22 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If someone is being a hypocrite, IMO it is relevant.

I don't know where the truth lies in all of this.  Who are the fact checkers and can they be trusted?  It really is that simple.  When it is all said and done, it is facts that matter, not emotion.  The problem is that things seem to be trending in the direction of damn the facts, emotion is all that counts.  I don't think that is healthy for anyone's mental health.  Children run on pure emotion, grown ass adults are supposed to be mostly fact based.

There's a huge difference between Sheryl defending George Lopez and Sharon defending Piers. George Lopez was in the middle of a comedy show telling a(n unfunny) joke about his racist grandmother with dementia when a woman in the audience stood up and gave him a double middle finger. The woman was Black. He clapped back at her and had her thrown out of the comedy club. I don't believe he used any racist language against her. There is a looooong history of comedians coming for and viciously criticizing their hecklers and people who disrupt their comedy shows. George's incident can be seen as part of that history. Whether George's clapback was unduly harsh because his heckler was Black and a woman and whether he should be even telling that joke because it's really unfunny is another story and may deserve some examination. But to call Sheryl a hypocrite simply for saying George Lopez was not a racist for coming for the woman who disrupted his show is ridiculous.

In contrast, Piers had an enjoyable meeting with Meghan Markle. She refused further communication with him, but she also never disparaged him either. Piers actually continued to sing Meghan's praises for about a year after they had drinks. Piers flipped around the time Harry and Meghan got engaged. Since then he's had a big incel hard-on for Meghan. He's knocked and disparaged her at every opportunity. Meghan has never reciprocated or retaliated. On the face of things, it looks like Piers took issue with Meghan because she's a woman or Black or both who wanted nothing to do with him. His reaction was far from professional. He never articulated any real reason for his 180. If Meghan was his bitch eating crackers, he should have said that and owned that his dislike was petty and irrational. But he didn't. He tried to act like it was based on something objective and provable. People suggested that his issues were caused by racism, misogyny, and sexual jealousy; they have explained why a simple surface level reading of Piers' animosity isn't sufficient. Piers has never been able to articulate why it isn't. Sharon has never been able to articulate why it isn't. It really is apples and spaceships because neither Piers nor Sharon have ever been able to raise a cogent argument about his dislike of Meghan. And bringing up Sheryl's defense of George Lopez is the kind of specious "See! She did it too!!!" argument that I've come to expect of Sharon and Piers. It's a bullshit argument that ignores the subtleties of life, society, and context and only deals in absolutes and concrete thinking.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Useful 2
  • Love 16
15 hours ago, Kromm said:

I know CBS doesn't have the deepest News bench these days, but is it REALLY impossible to find a female news person, looking for a slower in-studio gig, and give it to her?   

I think that's why they hired Elaine (a journalist and one-time editor of Teen Vogue).

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 3/22/2021 at 7:43 PM, Medicine Crow said:

Brigitte would be perfect for the show. She has personality. 

• Love 8
21 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I think that's why they hired Elaine (a journalist and one-time editor of Teen Vogue).

I always assumed the "Teen Vogue" part of her resume was more important to them than the Journalist part, but point taken. 

So have two.  Maybe an actual current affairs/politics person this time. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

I think Valerie Bertinelli would be the perfect replacement if this show continues. Word is that Regis Philbin wanted Valerie to replace Kathie Lee back in the day and ABC over-ruled him. Kelly Ripa supposedly got wind of this and never really forgave him. Or so the story goes.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

I think Valerie Bertinelli would be the perfect replacement if this show continues. Word is that Regis Philbin wanted Valerie to replace Kathie Lee back in the day and ABC over-ruled him. Kelly Ripa supposedly got wind of this and never really forgave him. Or so the story goes.

I remember reading that too, and then Kelly pushed her "he's too old, you need new blood" agenda on the producers.

Valerie would be a good co-host, as long as she doesn't bring the drama.  As someone mentioned above, Vicki Lawrence - I liked her old talk show.  

Personally, I never had a problem with a guest host of the week kind of situation either

• Love 4

I ended up getting sucked down into a website's old posting, and I just happened to see this article (https://dlisted.com/2020/11/25/cbs-is-reportedly-panicking-over-the-view-seriously-beating-the-talk-in-ratings/) about The Talk's low ratings back in November where insiders apparently were said to think a big name like Meghan Markle or Oprah might be the only thing to save the show. Cut to now, and Sharon Osbourne is in a huge controversy that might cost her her job over a story involving both of those women...

I wonder if it's actually possible Sharon Osbourne could get replaced by Meghan Markle herself? I wouldn't say no at that at all, and it would be very fitting!

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I wonder if it's actually possible Sharon Osbourne could get replaced by Meghan Markle herself? I wouldn't say no at that at all, and it would be very fitting!

While that would certainly be interesting and the best case of irony ever - I think the Duchess' price tag might be too high. 🤣😂

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

What is Julie Chen up to?

Spreading her heightened interest in religion seems to be one thing going by gifts she sent out to some past BB players....

• Love 1

Even the most dedicated to the idea that Meghan Markle just wants attention can't seriously believe she wants to do a daily talk show!  Come on folks!  

Oprah doing it is also zero percent possible.  It's not just that she'd cost the moon (she'd have to own any show she did, and receive zillions of dollars on top of that), she also just wouldn't WANT to do a daily show anymore. She wants occasional, and big and splashy when she does anything. 

If it wasn't a crappy existing CBS show with a bad rep I could think of one or two former A listsers who might deign to change over to daytime TV (the Drew Barrymore model), but again they'd want ownership and not the baggage of this show.  They'd simply want the timeslot. 

I'm thinking of Gwenneth Paltrow or Jennifer Aniston being the biggest stars who might ever want to do daytime now that Drew cracked the door open a bit.  And I'm skeptical.  Gwenneth has the huge ego to think people probably want to hear what she wants to say, but even with a new show in this spot... where's the money?  I barely understand how Drew Barrymore gets enough out of her show.  Jennifer Aniston is just an oddball idea based on her having played a morning host and probably assuming she could do the real job.  Both aren't going to happen, certainly not joining The Talk, or even taking the timeslot. I was just spitballing who legit might WANT a daytime show if money wasn't a real thing. 

• Love 4

Envisioning Gwyneth Paltrow with the platform to talk about Goop daily on national TV made me throw up in my mouth. (I just checked and apparently she stylizes it as goop, and I rest my case.)

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

Envisioning Gwyneth Paltrow with the platform to talk about Goop daily on national TV made me throw up in my mouth. (I just checked and apparently she stylizes it as goop, and I rest my case.)

She thinks people want the same smell as her vagina.  Go figure.... apparently some did. 

She's an egotistical weirdo, but her whole brand is lifestyle crap.  It actually fits a talk show format, except even with her owning the show and selling her superexpensive crap, she'd still ask for a salary on top of that, and I'm sure it would be enough money to feed the population of a medium sized city. 

• LOL 5
1 minute ago, Kromm said:

She thinks people want the same smell as her vagina.  Go figure.... apparently some did. 

She's an egotistical weirdo, but her whole brand is lifestyle crap.  It actually fits a talk show format, except even with her owning the show and selling her superexpensive crap, she'd still ask for a salary on top of that, and I'm sure it would be enough money to feed the population of a medium sized city. 

Oh you're not wrong! I just really despise her.

I had the weird aha moment and said to myself "what is Brooke Shields up to?" 

She's be a perfect out of left field replacement, putting aside my wish they'd forget actresses, a former big star not doing much now, a good speaker with definite opinions, and as I mentioned way back this show is probably the ONLY one currently on TV with a possible motive to hire one white lady to replace another white lady (to placate that audience on an already very diverse show)... 

But... she injured herself really badly in January per something I just read.  Like... she's busy learning to walk again level of bad.  So she's probably not in the market for work.  Even sitting down work. 

It's a shame though because she's totally in that Drew Barrymore territory of likeability. 

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, Kromm said:

She's be a perfect out of left field replacement, putting aside my wish they'd forget actresses, a former big star not doing much now, a good speaker with definite opinions, and as I mentioned way back this show is probably the ONLY one currently on TV with a possible motive to hire one white lady to replace another white lady (to placate that audience on an already very diverse show)... 

But... she injured herself really badly in January per something I just read.  Like... she's busy learning to walk again level of bad.  So she's probably not in the market for work.  Even sitting down work. 

It's a shame though because she's totally in that Drew Barrymore territory of likeability. 

Brooke was a guest host on the 3rd hour of Today after Tamron Hall left.  I thought she did a great job.  But yeah, that injury was just horrible.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

Brooke is a lovely gal & would certainly get my vote!!!

• Love 6
On 3/24/2021 at 2:13 PM, Winston Wolfe said:

Back in 2008-09, when CBS first decided to do a 'copycat' version of 'The View', there was a pilot cast with Paula Dean, Valerie Bertinelli, Kate Gosselin, and (I believe) a LA-based CBS journalist. The show tested poorly with it's target audience, as they tried it for a few months across the country. They switched around some hosts (I think the journalists was dropped first, then Gosselin) but kept Dean and Bertinelli and added a few more D-List names. They were really trying to make it work, but it kept failing with audiences since there was no chemistry among the hosts.

Next thing you know, the project was dropped and Sara Gilbert went to CBS with this 'great idea' to do 'The Talk' and said she wouldn't do it unless Les Moonves' wife Julie Chen was moderator (sure, that sounds good in press releases).  So Moonves axed the original Paula Dean copy-cat and went with Gilbert's.

• Useful 10

The background on the show makes a lot more sense for why Sara Gilbert was ultimately billed as an executive producer but seems to have had very little power and often seemed pretty disconnected from a show that was advertised as her own idea. 

• Love 8

The tidbits quoted from the linked article are circa 2010...

OFF THE LIST

“The View”: Bid to move the show into daytime syndication was snuffed out by ABC, which co-owns the show. It will remain in its 11 a.m. timeslot. Barbara Walters grits her teeth over lost millions in syndication revenue.

Paula Deen/Kate Gosselin/Rene Syler/Lee Woodruff project: TelePictures shot a pilot, but that was about it. Went nowhere.

“Say It Now”: Talk show co-hosted by fan fave Valerie Bertinelli and Australian media personality Rove McManus didn’t get past the pilot stage. Next!

STILL IN THE RUNNING

Julie Chen/Sara Gilbert project: Talk show dubbed “ ‘The View’ for Moms” is fronted by “Early Show” host Chen (right) and former “Roseanne” star Gilbert, who also developed the project. It has potential with strong co-hosts Sharon Osbourne, Holly Robinson Peete and Leah Remini.

The ‘O’ list

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Kromm said:

Even the most dedicated to the idea that Meghan Markle just wants attention can't seriously believe she wants to do a daily talk show!  Come on folks!  

Um... This implication that I was saying something negative about Markle is not mine. I don't see anything wrong with someone like her on a talkshow. She's got to pay the bills just like everyone else. Being a host on a fluff daytime show seems like something within the realm of possibility for someone as well-known as she is who at the same time doesn't shy away from giving her opinions.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I think that had nothing to do with Valerie Bertinelli and everything to do with Paula Dean. 

It makes for a nice punchline, but this was roughly 5 years before she was outted as a big ol' racist.  I mean some people knew, but not John Q. Public. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2