Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Now We're Talking

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

Thank you for reminding me of Sharon practically calling Chris Harrison a Klansman.   I think that cancel culture should be called accountability culture.  Sunny from the view coined that term. It is what being a responsible adult is all about, you have to be careful what you say and if you happen to say something or do offensive without realizing it, apologize and try not to do it again. 

Taking responsibility  for your actions is what we are thought as children so that we can apply it to our lives as adults. We are all fallible human beings with biases and prejudices. It is never too late to grow and learn if you are open to do so.  When you know better, you do better. I also wish people would stop tweeting every thought that comes to mind.. It would save them so much problems.. 

No problem. :) "Accountability Culture" is more like it. Sunny's a smart cookie. ;) 

People usually warn kids and young people about minding what they post and to be aware that nothing ever goes away for good on the web, but we've seen many cases where people who should know better put their foot in it and screw themselves over. Sharon and Roseanne spring to my mind. 

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm familiar with the Chris Harrison drama, but I didn't hear that about the weddings, wow. And do you mean Rachel Lindsay? I know I mentioned this in The Real thread, but I think she'd be great on either The Real or The Talk. 

I'll have to look up what Chris said about plantation weddings. My impression of him is that he's not great on racial issues, but I don't think he's hateful. And from what I've seen of him over the years, he comes across nice, unlike Sharon. 

Rachel Lindsay, yes. I remembered her first name, but the last name escaped me. Thanks. :) I think she'd be better better suited on The Real, but I wouldn't mind seeing how she vibes with The Talk hosts. 

As for Chris and plantation weddings, one of this season's contestants was snapped attending a plantation wedding back in 2018 and that coupled with allegations of racism on the show angered viewers. Chris said that attitudes towards having plantation weddings were different back then and he didn't take in Rachel's explanation about why that excuse doesn't fly. Here's an article about it: https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/15/entertainment/the-bachelor-history-race/index.html

• Love 3
1 hour ago, rmcrae said:

No problem. :) "Accountability Culture" is more like it. Sunny's a smart cookie. ;) 

People usually warn kids and young people about minding what they post and to be aware that nothing ever goes away for good on the web, but we've seen many cases where people who should know better put their foot in it and screw themselves over. Sharon and Roseanne spring to my mind. 

Rachel Lindsay, yes. I remembered her first name, but the last name escaped me. Thanks. :) I think she'd be better better suited on The Real, but I wouldn't mind seeing how she vibes with The Talk hosts. 

As for Chris and plantation weddings, one of this season's contestants was snapped attending a plantation wedding back in 2018 and that coupled with allegations of racism on the show angered viewers. Chris said that attitudes towards having plantation weddings were different back then and he didn't take in Rachel's explanation about why that excuse doesn't fly. Here's an article about it: https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/15/entertainment/the-bachelor-history-race/index.html

I agree Rachel would fit in better at The Real. She’s intelligent but not above discussing pop culture and light topics, which would make her a fabulous host on any show IMO, whether you’re a fan of hers or not. I think she’s over the Bachelor franchise but doesn’t seem to be interested in law. She might try going for a hosting job. She is beautiful and has a beautiful speaking voice too, sure that helps with speaking on camera type of work. 

Thanks for the info! I think it’s the incident I’d heard of actually. I just didn’t think it was a wedding, but a random college party. Anyhow, I don’t think Chris handled the interview with Lindsay well. I agree with the general consensus there, but I don’t think he’s Sharon bad. I’m more forgiving of people who are ignorant than I am of people who are hateful. I have friends who think he’s gotta go though.

• Love 3

I agree Rachel would fit in better at The Real. She’s intelligent but not above discussing pop culture and light topics, which would make her a fabulous host on any show IMO, whether you’re a fan of hers or not. I think she’s over the Bachelor franchise but doesn’t seem to be interested in law. She might try going for a hosting job. She is beautiful and has a beautiful speaking voice too, sure that helps with speaking on camera type of work. 

Thanks for the info! I think it’s the incident I’d heard of actually. I just didn’t think it was a wedding, but a random college party. Anyhow, I don’t think Chris handled the interview with Lindsay well. I agree with the general consensus there, but I don’t think he’s Sharon bad. I’m more forgiving of people who are ignorant than I am of people who are hateful. I have friends who think he’s gotta go though.

You're very welcome! When I searched for articles about the Extra interview I came across one that pointed out other moments where Chris supported the show's racial bias. Hopefully this link works and doesn't take forever to load: https://screenrant.com/bachelor-chris-harrison-history-racial-bias-host-quit/

• Useful 2
On 4/17/2021 at 6:35 AM, chediavolo said:

She is a VILE Human. In so many ways. I’m surprised they kissed her ass for so long, glad she finally got canned. I’m off to watch the show now. 

I don’t even watch this anymore. I only like Carrie and occasionally Sheryl. They need new cohosts. These new 2 are terrible. No personalities IMO.  

The show has been horrible since it premiered 11 years ago. It was horrible when Osbourne was on it, and it's even worse with the 2 new hosts who have the personality of  dead caterpillars. The show was at the bottom of the ratings heap before they joined - I can't imagine how much further down the ratings can go with these two on.

And Carrie Ann's shtick of crying every time she talks has gotten old very fast.

• Love 3

New week's schedule:

Monday - Actors Jared Padalecki (🥰) and Genevieve Padalecki.

Tuesday - Actor Thomas Lennon.

Wednesday - Actress Amy Brenneman.

Thursday - Actress Sarah Chalke; actors Parker Young and Adhir Kalyan.

Friday - Actress Laverne Cox; actor Mehcad Brooks (🥰).

• Love 3
6 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

The show has been horrible since it premiered 11 years ago. It was horrible when Osbourne was on it, and it's even worse with the 2 new hosts who have the personality of  dead caterpillars. The show was at the bottom of the ratings heap before they joined - I can't imagine how much further down the ratings can go with these two on.

To me the show was at its best with Julie, Sharon, Sara, Aisha & Sheryl. This was the dream team. They really shined when they talked about important issues. But they could also be quite hilarious when talking about pop news and silly topics. I do feel that they played it safe a bit too much though. 

And I agree with you about the new hosts. I'm sure they were cheap compared to former co-hosts, but they are not exciting to watch at all. I don't see the show lasting too much longer unless they make some major changes. 

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, A.J. said:

To me the show was at its best with Julie, Sharon, Sara, Aisha & Sheryl. This was the dream team. They really shined when they talked about important issues. But they could also be quite hilarious when talking about pop news and silly topics. I do feel that they played it safe a bit too much though. 

And I agree with you about the new hosts. I'm sure they were cheap compared to former co-hosts, but they are not exciting to watch at all. I don't see the show lasting too much longer unless they make some major changes. 

The show took its first loss when Aisha left imo. Not only was/is she an intelligent woman, she's fun and could play devil's advocate which balanced things out. The other hosts tend to agree with each other too much and it really showed when she left. Julie, Sara and Sheryl were a good mix as well, but one major change the show made which was a long time coming was getting rid of Sharon. Yeah, she had fans, but the woman was never a good host and used this platform to attack people. Maybe that's entertaining to some people, but it wasn't to me. 

Elaine reminds me of Aisha in that she has her own opinions and expresses them very well. Amanda's not the most exciting or opinionated person (she reminds me of Eve when she repeats what's already been said by the others), but she's ok to me. Now that the show has finally rid us of Sharon they need to hire someone with some "oomph". By that I mean someone with more energy and fire who also fits in with the panel. Like Brigitte Neilsen or Yvette Nicole Brown. What they don't need to do is hire someone to replace Sharon as the resident asshole spewing vitriol for cheap laughs and to boost ratings. Better to go out "playing it safe" than go down that road and end up with egg on your face imo. 

Edited by rmcrae
Misspelled word.
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

And Carrie Ann's shtick of crying every time she talks has gotten old very fast.

Agree, those 2 are dull as dirt and I can’t even watch anymore.  Although I like Carrie Ann for the most part. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, A.J. said:

First week without Osbourne, and CBS looks like it gave up on the show. They didn't even spend money, time or effort on a 'new opening' with just the remaining four hosts. As I said weeks ago, if CBS brings this show back without Osbourne (as they did) they will probably finish off the remaining few months of the season and be done with it. I doubt they will invest in a permanent replacement, or any other money into this show.

• Love 2
On 4/12/2021 at 3:30 PM, KLovestoShop said:

Interesting because I remember in 2017 Sheryl defended George Lopez’s racist comments during one of his shows.  A black woman in his audience took offense to the things Lopez was saying about blacks and he got very upset with the woman, who he claimed was heckling him.  He basically told the woman to “Get the F out of here” and a few other profane things.   Sheryl said, if it were her on stage she would have said “bitch, that’s why no one gonna marry you cause you talkin’ in my show”.  No, believe me, I’m no Sharon fan, and she’s played the idiot queen bee for too long, but what’s good for one host should apply to all hosts.  Google Sheryl Defends George Lopez to get the full story. Actually, I think The Talk is way past it’s expiration date. 

I don't want to take this too far afield, but that's not actually what happened. This is the incident with Lopez:

https://www.12news.com/article/news/local/valley/friend-says-woman-targeted-by-george-lopez-was-not-a-heckler/75-405248056

There's a very long tradition of comedians dealing harshly with hecklers or perceived hecklers. The woman stood up in the middle of set and gave him a double middle finger. She was a heckler even if she doesn't consider herself to be one. So no, his reaction probably wasn't out of hand. Should he have been telling the joke? Maybe. Maybe not.

On 4/17/2021 at 11:37 AM, rmcrae said:

I've never subscribed to the idea that comics can get away with saying any and everything simply because they're comics. There are certain lines that you shouldn't cross and you'd better prepare yourself for the backlash coming your way if or when it does. I can't say if he's racist or not either, but I can certainly tell you he was dead wrong for doing that, "joke" or not.

On 4/17/2021 at 1:59 PM, Pearson80 said:

Same here. However, I do think that comics should be able to make jokes but when you are making racial jokes you should be aware enough as a non-Black that using that word will piss some people off, so it is best not to use it.  I remember when Eddie Murphy was mulling the idea of doing stand-up comedy, he was hesitating because he said that he had to relearn how to make jokes without offending people because the climate is super sensitive these days as opposed to when he was a young man doing the comedy tours.  

Not to mention back then nobody had  cell phones with cameras to record you at your shows.  These days we all have cameras and in a few minutes we can upload it onto social media and videos could be altered to be fit a narrative.  Richard Pryor would probably be cancelled with his raunchy jokes. If I was a stand-up comedian, I would not allow people to record me making jokes at my shows just to avoid controversy.

One of the "rules" in comedy is that you can joke about taboo subjects as long as the punchline is NEVER the victim. In the Lopez joke, the punchline is actually about his racist grandmother. It's not Black people. It's the racist. That's wildly different from Piers Morgan. The reason Maher's joke doesn't work is because the punchline is the field slave and not the screwed up hierarchical systems in slavery. Maher has a long history of saying unfunny screwed up bigoted things under the guise of comedy. He also thinks he can get away with it because he's a "comedian" who has dated a couple of Black women.

Back to Sharon, Sharon was an ignorant abusive ass. She has a history of being just fucking awful and CBS was complicit is enabling her abuse. The thing that caused her ouster is that she was the same old awful she's always been at exactly the wrong fucking moment. I don't feel bad for her. Additionally, Sharon was too dumb to figure out that CBS was actually giving her a moment longer than 140 characters to give a nuanced explanation of why she supports Pierce, but isn't a bigot. She whiffed it big time because she's an entitled bullying quarter wit.

As to the rest of the people on the show, Amanda is a big old nothing. She adds little. Carrie Ann's health issues just make think she's being pressured to come in when she not up to it. I LOVE the idea of Brooke as a cohost. Ashleigh Banfield would be another great option, but she just got her own show and wants to be on the east coast. The ratings for her new show are abysmal so there's always the possibility that she might be free very soon. I actually don't mind keeping Carrie, Sheryl, and Elaine as the "anchors" and the 4th and 5th chairs for correspondents on any number of topics.

I know that Jared Padalecki is supposed to be on the show this week. I'd love it someone grilled him on how he managed to get so drunk and belligerent at HIS OWN BAR that the staff threw him out and called the cops on him.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

One of the "rules" in comedy is that you can joke about taboo subjects as long as the punchline is NEVER the victim. In the Lopez joke, the punchline is actually about his racist grandmother. It's not Black people. It's the racist. That's wildly different from Piers Morgan. The reason Maher's joke doesn't work is because the punchline is the field slave and not the screwed up hierarchical systems in slavery. Maher has a long history of saying unfunny screwed up bigoted things under the guise of comedy. He also thinks he can get away with it because he's a "comedian" who has dated a couple of Black women.

Back to Sharon, Sharon was an ignorant abusive ass. She has a history of being just fucking awful and CBS was complicit is enabling her abuse. The thing that caused her ouster is that she was the same old awful she's always been at exactly the wrong fucking moment. I don't feel bad for her. Additionally, Sharon was too dumb to figure out that CBS was actually giving her a moment longer than 140 characters to give a nuanced explanation of why she supports Pierce, but isn't a bigot. She whiffed it big time because she's an entitled bullying quarter wit.

As to the rest of the people on the show, Amanda is a big old nothing. She adds little. Carrie Ann's health issues just make think she's being pressured to come in when she not up to it. I LOVE the idea of Brooke as a cohost. Ashleigh Banfield would be another great option, but she just got her own show and wants to be on the east coast. The ratings for her new show are abysmal so there's always the possibility that she might be free very soon. I actually don't mind keeping Carrie, Sheryl, and Elaine as the "anchors" and the 4th and 5th chairs for correspondents on any number of topics.

I know that Jared Padalecki is supposed to be on the show this week. I'd love it someone grilled him on how he managed to get so drunk and belligerent at HIS OWN BAR that the staff threw him out and called the cops on him.

These networks never learn, do they? It reminds me of how ABC enabled Star's Bridezilla antics and wedding plugs on The View only to cry foul when it bit them in the ass with viewers. Being a Bridezilla isn't as awful as bullying co-workers and using racist and homophobic language, of course. But you can't encourage any type of negative behavior and then play the victim when it backfires on you either, employee or employer. 

Ashleigh Banfield would be a good candidate. Especially as moderator. I didn't know she had a show, but you mentioned the ratings being in the toilet so I guess that's why. I was talking to a friend the other week about who she'd like to see join the show and she wondered why Carnie Wilson was never hired since she's been a guest co-host since the show's second season. I prefer Carnie as a permanent guest host, but maybe she was asked to join full-time and she turned it down. I don't know.

I missed today's show due to the closing arguments in the Derek Chauvin case (hope he's locked up for life), but I remember Jared Padalecki's drunken barroom brawl. I'd be embarrassed and angry as hell if I were his wife.

• Love 5

"Oh this is such bullshit! Look, I get people of a certain age grew up differently and are on average not as woke as those half their age, but yes, many older folks DO need re-education. I tried and tried with someone in my life, but she was too far gone. There are different levels of racism, ignorance, etc. My mother is not a racist, but I had to explain to her why "all lives matter" is offensive. She's not a political person and can take things literally. Once I explained, she understood why my sister and I hate hearing it. I've known older folks who had no idea oriental was offensive. With the really racist people, I no longer have the energy. I will gladly explain to anyone who just doesn't know better but wants to do better."

I'm kind of tired of ageist comments. I'm over 70 and plenty woke, thank you very much. Of all my friends and family, most in their 60s - 80s, only TWO are of the despicable closed-minded persuasion - and I disowned one family member over it. I guess if people are too young to remember the 1960s, they don't know about the anti-war and pro-civil rights movements of that time, or they think we're all dead. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, EllenB said:

"Oh this is such bullshit! Look, I get people of a certain age grew up differently and are on average not as woke as those half their age, but yes, many older folks DO need re-education. I tried and tried with someone in my life, but she was too far gone. There are different levels of racism, ignorance, etc. My mother is not a racist, but I had to explain to her why "all lives matter" is offensive. She's not a political person and can take things literally. Once I explained, she understood why my sister and I hate hearing it. I've known older folks who had no idea oriental was offensive. With the really racist people, I no longer have the energy. I will gladly explain to anyone who just doesn't know better but wants to do better."

I'm kind of tired of ageist comments. I'm over 70 and plenty woke, thank you very much. Of all my friends and family, most in their 60s - 80s, only TWO are of the despicable closed-minded persuasion - and I disowned one family member over it. I guess if people are too young to remember the 1960s, they don't know about the anti-war and pro-civil rights movements of that time, or they think we're all dead. 

My post was not meant to offend people of a particular age, and I was trying to come from an understanding place. I consider my mother a very kind and smart person who's not racist. She's just not political and lives in a bit of a bubble due to health issues. However, she is aware of racism and injustice. Despite that, she would not win the woke olympics with someone like my sister who keeps up with news closely, is a very active person and is also on social media regularly discussing various issues, culture wars, etc. There are obviously very woke people of all ages and many people who aren't across the board as well. When I said many older people do need re-education, that doesn't mean I think most old people are on the opposite spectrum of woke. It's the whole attitude of Bill and Sharon. "I'm this age, don't you dare say I'm racist! I must know everything because of my age!" Uhh, are we going to pretend all seniors are simply old and wise and we should just let everything they say slide? No, there are many people Sharon's age who would NEVER say the stuff she's said. Hence the outrage. We know her age can only excuse so much. Joy Behar has a decade on Sharon and is as woke as it gets.

I do think the era you grow up in and what you're exposed to has an influence. I'm always more disappointed by somebody young who's not open-minded, because most of us grew up around people who are different from us, openly gay, etc. It always shocks me a little more when young people show prejudice to those different from them, because there shouldn't be this fear of the unknown. That's where prejudice often stems from. I'm a firm believer that we all need to have friends who don't look like us, and that includes age actually. Some of the people I admire most are older people who were activists, like Jane Fonda. Most of us think people of different ages tend to view the world through a different lens. You posted yourself people may be too young to be aware of history, despite the fact so many of us are. I'm not offended as a non-PC person, just saying ageism goes both ways.  

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I do think the era you grow up in and what you're exposed to has an influence.

I think this is exactly why I am so disappointed with many from my generation.  We grew up with people protesting the Vietnam War, with the March on Washington, with John Lennon singing Imagine.  And yet we're now derided by many (and with good reason) "ok boomer".  It's fracking annoying!  My only comfort - such as it is - is knowing that a lot of the violence and angry rhetoric out there are from people a hell of a lot younger than me!  

• Love 6

We're not the only ones who think Carrie Ann might be the next to leave due to her health issues: https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/television/6875713/the-talk-fans-carrie-ann-inaba-quit-stress-sharon-osbourne/.

For the life of me I can't get the link from my phone, but the US Sun claims execs are eyeing actress Jenna Dewan as Carrie Ann's possible replacement. Big mistake if that's true. She's guest hosted a few times and was decent, but she's not the right choice to increase viewership. CBS, y'all really need to get it together. 

Edited by rmcrae
  • Love 5

I "first met" Thomas Lennon in the TV version of The Odd Couple & was very disappointed when they cancelled the show.  The show really appealed to my sense of humor & was a nice half-hour of entertainment.  Yvette Nicolle Brown co-starred & was fabulous in it.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I "first met" Thomas Lennon in the TV version of The Odd Couple & was very disappointed when they cancelled the show.  The show really appealed to my sense of humor & was a nice half-hour of entertainment.  Yvette Nicolle Brown co-starred & was fabulous in it.

I really enjoyed that show too. I still miss it when I see anyone who was in it on TV or mentioned online. Episodes are available on Paramount Plus and are sometimes shown on Pluto's (the app) TV Land Sitcoms channel. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I never watched The Odd Couple, but first saw him in 17 Again with Zac Efron and his appearances on The Talk. He's not only funny but a cutie too. 🙂

I had a chuckle over Elaine's story about swearing off future relationships with Geminis only to marry one. I think everyone possesses at least a trait or two of their sign, but I don't read my horoscope or live my life by astrology. I'm a Cancer/Leo cusp and according to astrology Aries and Libras are supposed to be my mortal enemies. I don't know many Libras, but most of my friends are Aries and my longest, most compatible relationship was with an Aries man. 

• Useful 2
16 hours ago, rmcrae said:

We're not the only ones who think Carrie Ann might be the next to leave due to her health issues: https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/television/6875713/the-talk-fans-carrie-ann-inaba-quit-stress-sharon-osbourne/.

For the life of me I can't get the link from my phone, but the US Sun claims execs are eyeing actress Jenna Dewan as Carrie Ann's possible replacement. Big mistake if that's true. She's guest hosted a few times and was decent, but she's not the right choice to increase viewership. CBS, y'all really need to get it together. 

Omg. They are really digging their grave if that is true. Jenna DeWan?Another no talent co host 🤮

5 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Omg. They are really digging their grave if that is true. Jenna DeWan?Another no talent co host 🤮

She's guest hosting today. Hopefully they can get Brigitte, Yvette Nicole Brown or Jodie Sweetin to fill in soon. 

• Love 5

Today's show proved why hiring Jenna isn't a good idea. She barely spoke and when she did she joined Amanda parroting what the others said. Nice girl but not that interesting. I'm glad Pat Harvey filled in and they spent the first two segments discussing the Derek Chauvin verdict, but today was boring and even lower energy. I hope Jenna's not back for the next two shows, but she probably will. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 4/18/2021 at 4:54 PM, LetsStartTalking said:

Yes, has this show ever been anything but shallow?  As much as there's tons to hate about The View, it at least had the stated supposed goal of talking about current affairs. Now tell me, quick... how many politicians, serious journalists, etc were guests on The Talk?  And how many sitcom actors? I won't pretend The View didn't also have sitcom actors on... but... was there ever any reason for The Talk to be relevant?  No. It was cheap to produce. That was it. Even the one pseudo-journalist they had, Julie Chen, didn't really act like a journalist. Again, that's not to say The View, after Barbara Walters, filled itself with that kind of talent, but the show at least posed itself as being about more, even if it was comedians and "TV personalities" largely forced into fronting the show. You'd still get Senators showing up as guests. Who's the biggest guest ever on The Talk?  I dunno. Probably Cher.  I'm guessing.  I bet I'm right though. 

Edited by Kromm
7 hours ago, Kromm said:

Yes, has this show ever been anything but shallow?  As much as there's tons to hate about The View, it at least had the stated supposed goal of talking about current affairs. Now tell me, quick... how many politicians, serious journalists, etc were guests on The Talk?  And how many sitcom actors? I won't pretend The View didn't also have sitcom actors on... but... was there ever any reason for The Talk to be relevant?  No. It was cheap to produce. That was it. Even the one pseudo-journalist they had, Julie Chen, didn't really act like a journalist. Again, that's not to say The View, after Barbara Walters, filled itself with that kind of talent, but the show at least posed itself as being about more, even if it was comedians and "TV personalities" largely forced into fronting the show. You'd still get Senators showing up as guests. Who's the biggest guest ever on The Talk?  I dunno. Probably Cher.  I'm guessing.  I bet I'm right though. 

Exactly.

To me, this show (over the past 11 years) has not kept up with the times the way 'The View' has. They're still gossiping daily about 'The Kardashians' and Justin Bieber eleven years in, while much more important things have engulfed this country over the past five years. The April 12 show on 'race relations' was billed as a show 'they've never done before', while 'The View' talks about race relations practically every day. What took 'The Talk' so long to catch up ? Was it because they couldn't have a serious discussion about race relations with Osbourne as a host (we all saw what happened on March 10 when they tried) ?

Yes, this show remains shallow as always. Nothing is discussed of any interest as they resort to Hollywood gossip, and lightweight fluff to fill the hour.

The one thing I disagree with you on is that you said after Walters left, they had no one to fill her talent. I think Sunny Hostin - a legal journalist / lawyer for ABC  - is the perfect fill for Walters.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Kromm said:

The Talk's never been a political or serious news show (nor have they ever pretended to be) so it's no surprise they haven't had politicians or serious newscasters as guests. The closest political person they've had was Chelsea Clinton during the 2016 election. Me personally, I don't tune in for the guests alone. It's nice when they're able to snag a big name and I look forward to the guests I like, but I'm more interested in Table Talk (when it's actually interesting) than the interviews. Same with The Real and their Girl Chat. I don't have to like every panelist, but their chemistry and the way they interact with each other have to draw me in. I felt the same way about The View many moons ago, but that ship's sailed for me. 

1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

I'm thinking Oprah.

She's probably the biggest that I can recall too. 

Lord, please don't let Jenna be back today. 😔

• Love 6

I thought Elaine looked really nice this episode, both her outfit and hair.

I liked both today's guest co-host, Rodriguez, and the one yesterday. Neither were sensational, but better than Amanda. I feel like this show is going to be a lot like The Rea nowl, where there's one person I know and like (Sheryl / Loni) and then three I don't really know who are inoffensive. I guess if they hire one or two new people, they don't have to be well-known, although adding at least one big name to this panel would be nice.

• Love 1

Two weeks ago, CBS was promoting this show as covering 'Deep Issues' and 'Big Topics', before they returned on April 12.

So the nation is talking about the 'big issue' and 'deep topic' of the 16 year old girl getting shot to death by the police yesterday - just about every live talk show was covering this - and what does this show talk about ?  Lizzo's naked photo. Seriously.

I guess naked Lizzo is a 'big topic' and 'deep issue' for their audience only. So much for talking about 'racial issues' - that was a one and done for April 12.

• Love 2

Regardless of what The Talk advertises about big issues, I'm pretty sure the show's niche is superficial. When I was watching, I was in grad school, and I watched it over The View precisely because I wanted to hear mindless celebrity gossip rather than current events. I was tapped out on anything more substantial (I also indulged in a lot of soap operas and cheesy 80s movies at the time) and I am pretty sure people who are watching The Talk over other talk shows are likely motivated by that too. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, rmcrae said:

The Talk's never been a political or serious news show (nor have they ever pretended to be) so it's no surprise they haven't had politicians or serious newscasters as guests. The closest political person they've had was Chelsea Clinton during the 2016 election. Me personally, I don't tune in for the guests alone. It's nice when they're able to snag a big name and I look forward to the guests I like, but I'm more interested in Table Talk (when it's actually interesting) than the interviews. Same with The Real and their Girl Chat. I don't have to like every panelist, but their chemistry and the way they interact with each other have to draw me in. I felt the same way about The View many moons ago, but that ship's sailed for me. 

She's probably the biggest that I can recall too. 

Lord, please don't let Jenna be back today. 😔

I don't usually tune in for guests either. Whether it's The Talk, The View or The Real, once the talking segments are done, sometimes I'll watch the interviews, sometimes I don't. I think The Real is great at girl chat. They'll get into celeb gossip, but they also discuss a lot of the things we all discuss with our girlfriends. I really enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, Zella said:

Regardless of what The Talk advertises about big issues, I'm pretty sure the show's niche is superficial. When I was watching, I was in grad school, and I watched it over The View precisely because I wanted to hear mindless celebrity gossip rather than current events. I was tapped out on anything more substantial (I also indulged in a lot of soap operas and cheesy 80s movies at the time) and I am pretty sure people who are watching The Talk over other talk shows are likely motivated by that too. 

Yes, lots of us need a break. I watch plenty of news, but I can't take it 24/7. The world is going to always have problems, but life is precious and I believe in always looking for the good and trying to be happy in spite of whatever is going on in the world.

I love listening to women just chat. The chats just have to be interesting and don't need to be all celeb related. That's really want I want more of. I wouldn't mind a little more depth, but what I think the show really needs is more outspoken women and women different from one another. That does NOT mean a Sharon or Meghan McCain type. You can have a personality without being obnoxious. Someone who's not scared of having a difference of opinion is great, someone looking to be combative is not. As for non-celeb material, I suggest any light news topics, life, health, dating, love, sex, marriage, kids, parenting, various women's issues, etc. The Talk does touch on all of these at times, but I suppose they could do a little more, and less celeb talk. Did any of you watch Oprah? Her show wasn't always serious and wasn't a political show, but it was just an all-around awesome show for everyone, particularly women. Celebrity interviews were part of it, but she covered so much. I miss that woman.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I thought Elaine looked really nice this episode, both her outfit and hair.

I liked both today's guest co-host, Rodriguez, and the one yesterday. Neither were sensational, but better than Amanda. I feel like this show is going to be a lot like The Rea nowl, where there's one person I know and like (Sheryl / Loni) and then three I don't really know who are inoffensive. I guess if they hire one or two new people, they don't have to be well-known, although adding at least one big name to this panel would be nice.

My biggest requirement is that the new candidates bring some energy and smarts and have the best chemistry with the rest of the panel. A big name would be nice, but big egos can come along with them too. Not always, but sometimes. Brooke Shields seems like one of the rare big names without a huge ego. 

2 hours ago, Zella said:

Regardless of what The Talk advertises about big issues, I'm pretty sure the show's niche is superficial. When I was watching, I was in grad school, and I watched it over The View precisely because I wanted to hear mindless celebrity gossip rather than current events. I was tapped out on anything more substantial (I also indulged in a lot of soap operas and cheesy 80s movies at the time) and I am pretty sure people who are watching The Talk over other talk shows are likely motivated by that too. 

I don't recall the show ever advertising discussions about "big issues", but maybe I missed it. I do remember them advertising the first show back as an hour of discussing racism and healing after the "you know who" mess. Was it world changing? Not even close. But they did attempt to discuss the drama the best way they knew how and thankfully the two women of color who were previously silenced were able to finally speak their minds on the topic. I'd like to see less of a focus on celebrity gossip, but to their credit they've never pretended to be a serious topical show. They'll discuss important issues when necessary, but they know their boundaries. Like @RealHousewife said in her post, the show desperately needs more outspoken women with different opinions. Not fighting for the sake of it or getting press, but sharing individual opinions. It's possible, but they'll have more work to do if they want to achieve it.

I don't usually tune in for guests either. Whether it's The Talk, The View or The Real, once the talking segments are done, sometimes I'll watch the interviews, sometimes I don't. I think The Real is great at girl chat. They'll get into celeb gossip, but they also discuss a lot of the things we all discuss with our girlfriends. I really enjoy it. 

Yes, lots of us need a break. I watch plenty of news, but I can't take it 24/7. The world is going to always have problems, but life is precious and I believe in always looking for the good and trying to be happy in spite of whatever is going on in the world.

I love listening to women just chat. The chats just have to be interesting and don't need to be all celeb related. That's really want I want more of. I wouldn't mind a little more depth, but what I think the show really needs is more outspoken women and women different from one another. That does NOT mean a Sharon or Meghan McCain type. You can have a personality without being obnoxious. Someone who's not scared of having a difference of opinion is great, someone looking to be combative is not. As for non-celeb material, I suggest any light news topics, life, health, dating, love, sex, marriage, kids, parenting, various women's issues, etc. The Talk does touch on all of these at times, but I suppose they could do a little more, and less celeb talk. Did any of you watch Oprah? Her show wasn't always serious and wasn't a political show, but it was just an all-around awesome show for everyone, particularly women. Celebrity interviews were part of it, but she covered so much. I miss that woman.

Same here, @RealHousewife. I think that's why I like The Real a bit more because it feels like sitting around with my girlfriends talking about everything under the sun. I grew up watching Oprah and miss her show as well. Next month will mark a full decade since it ended and I don't think any other daytime show has been able to fill that void. 

I don't think they mentioned it, but I remember today's guest co-host from Fear the Walking Dead. I remember loving the first season then bowing out during the second which has never happened to me before. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, rmcrae said:

I don't recall the show ever advertising discussions about "big issues", but maybe I missed it. I do remember them advertising the first show back as an hour of discussing racism and healing after the "you know who" mess. Was it world changing? Not even close. But they did attempt to discuss the drama the best way they knew how and thankfully the two women of color who were previously silenced were able to finally speak their minds on the topic. I'd like to see less of a focus on celebrity gossip, but to their credit they've never pretended to be a serious topical show. They'll discuss important issues when necessary, but they know their boundaries. Like @RealHousewife said in her post, the show desperately needs more outspoken women with different opinions. Not fighting for the sake of it or getting press, but sharing individual opinions. It's possible, but they'll have more work to do if they want to achieve it.

I was responding to a poster who claimed that "big topics" was in the commercials for the show recently. As I made pretty clear in my post, I don't have a problem with a show not delving into big topics and don't expect every show to grapple with it nor would I want them to since I watched The Talk as an escape from that very thing. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Zella said:

I was responding to a poster who claimed that "big topics" was in the commercials for the show recently. As I made pretty clear in my post, I don't have a problem with a show not delving into big topics and don't expect every show to grapple with it nor would I want them to since I watched The Talk as an escape from that very thing. 

Oh, my post wasn't meant to be critical to you in any way. Sorry if it came off that way. I was just saying that I personally don't recall them advertising the show as the place where "big issues" were being discussed. 

• Love 3
Just now, rmcrae said:

Oh, my post wasn't meant to be critical to you in any way. Sorry if it came off that way. I was just saying that I personally don't recall them advertising the show as the place where "big issues" were being discussed. 

No worries! I didn't mean to sound defensive. I realize in retrospect my initial post may have sounded like I was being snide about the show being superficial, but I didn't really mean that negatively. 

• Love 2
Just now, Zella said:

No worries! I didn't mean to sound defensive. I realize in retrospect my initial post may have sounded like I was being snide about the show being superficial, but I didn't really mean that negatively. 

It's fine. I have to admit I tend to get defensive about the show since I like the hosts, but this is a forum where people are free to snark on it, after all. Lol. I'm glad we were able to clear that up. More than enough fighting going on on the web and in real life too. 🙂

• Love 2
Just now, rmcrae said:

It's fine. I have to admit I tend to get defensive about the show since I like the hosts, but this is a forum where people are free to snark on it, after all. Lol. I'm glad we were able to clear that up. More than enough fighting going on on the web and in real life too. 🙂

Yeah we're all good! I always enjoy your contributions on here. :)

I've not actually watched The Talk since I finished grad school, but I have weirdly fond memories of having it on when I was hiding in my apartment and not working on my thesis. LOL

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yeah we're all good! I always enjoy your contributions on here. :)

I've not actually watched The Talk since I finished grad school, but I have weirdly fond memories of having it on when I was hiding in my apartment and not working on my thesis. LOL

Lol. Thanks! I enjoy your contributions as well. 🙂

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, rmcrae said:

I can now say I like every single host too! 😉 I critique the show a lot only because I think it has so much potential. If I didn’t like it, I’d quit the show but I haven’t yet. I tend to watch the more time sensitive political shows first, but I enjoy Talk marathons. :)

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Zella said:

The commercials were running the week of April 5 on CBS. I couldn't believe they were saying this about 'The Talk', but I thought maybe they were going to flip the script for the rest of the season and try to really improve their dismal ratings. They proved their deep issues and big topics were 'naked Lizzo'. 

• Love 1

I haven't made it though an entire episode since the show returned a week ago Monday. But yesterday I got the biggest chuckle out of the huge price label on the bottom of Elaine's right shoe. With her legs crossed at the first of the show, even without the cameraman zooming in for close ups, it was quite noticeable. Not sure if someone then told her, as she seemed to keep her feet on the ground, though I didn't watch the whole episode. Do the ladies not have dressers that check that kind of thing? I expect that from Real Housewives like Sonja who wears clothes and returns them, but not from a former editor of a teen magazine that includes fashion. Do they wear clothes/shoes on this show and return as well? Pretty funny in any case. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I haven't made it though an entire episode since the show returned a week ago Monday. But yesterday I got the biggest chuckle out of the huge price label on the bottom of Elaine's right shoe. With her legs crossed at the first of the show, even without the cameraman zooming in for close ups, it was quite noticeable. Not sure if someone then told her, as she seemed to keep her feet on the ground, though I didn't watch the whole episode. Do the ladies not have dressers that check that kind of thing? I expect that from Real Housewives like Sonja who wears clothes and returns them, but not from a former editor of a teen magazine that includes fashion. Do they wear clothes/shoes on this show and return as well? Pretty funny in any case. 

I noticed that, too. Especially since they started by complimenting her look - then you can see the price tag on the bottom of the show. I wonder, too, if these items were borrowed for the show and returned later. Yet usually when someone borrows their wardrobe, the give credit to the designer of the clothing in exchange for wearing the clothing or accessories.

Edited by LetsStartTalking
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I always appreciate seeing Laverne Cox appear on these kinds of shows. She has a great attitude.

Same here. And seeing a very buff Mehcad Brooks working out didn't hurt either. 😉

Julissa Bermudez did good as guest co-host, but I hope they're able to find better, more entertaining fill-ins if Carrie Ann is away again next week. Sheryl's doing the best she can, but I can tell she's stressed and putting on a good face. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they should have a virtual audience. Kind of like Wendy Williams has. Of course that hasn't saved her show from being the crappy, lazy mess it usually is, but it certainly brings up the energy. 

Not the exact Sun article I referenced a few days ago, but close enough: https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/2753822/the-talk-guest-jenna-dewan-hiredpermanent-host-upgrade/. Again, nice girl, but an "upgrade"? Not seeing it. 

Edited by rmcrae
  • Love 4

Putting together the right panel (with the right mix of people) for a talk show is difficult. The only person who was good at it was Barbara Walters. After she retired, it took The View years to find the right mix of people.  Let's be honest - before everything that happened with Sharon, The Talk was limping along. I can see cancellation in its future.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Miss Slay said:

Putting together the right panel (with the right mix of people) for a talk show is difficult. The only person who was good at it was Barbara Walters. After she retired, it took The View years to find the right mix of people.  Let's be honest - before everything that happened with Sharon, The Talk was limping along. I can see cancellation in its future.

No doubt. It's hard enough trying to get a show with a single host or a duo to a work. Throw in a full panel and it's even harder. Funny you should mention Barbara because I remember an interview Joy did with Larry King a few years ago where she said The View's original panel worked so well because, aside from Barbara, none of them were big stars so there wasn't a battle of the egos which came along when bigger names like Rosie O'Donnell and Whoopi joined the show. She didn't name them nor was she being shady, but I knew who she meant and I agreed with her.

Back to The Talk, they have been limping along since before that recent mess which is why they have a crap load of work to do if they want to survive. The biggest thing is finding the right group of co-hosts with the best chemistry and better topics. I remember a time when many said they saw cancellation in The View's future when they had their well-documented issues, but they managed to get it together and are probably doing better now than they ever have. No guarentee the same will happen with The Talk, but they can try. 

I saw Jerry O'Connell is guest co-hosting Monday. Oh, Lord. I know I said the show needed some energy, but not his manic brand. 😒

Edited by rmcrae
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6