Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Now We're Talking

• Start Topic

I was noticing that too, Green Knight. She's okay when Julie's around to wrangle the table, but why put Sharon in charge of anything? I've seen her in cooking segments, interview segments, and the quick-hit news bits at the top of the show. I'd rather Aisha or Sarah, if Julie weren't available. Sarah's a freaking executive producer!  Surely she isn't so shy that running the table is too much or deferential that she's okay with Sharon acting like she's all that as a tv person. ( I respect her business acumen and her ability to keep her family together during whatever fate throws at them, but as just a talking head, I've seen better (interviews and jokiness.) Is it because she's got an accent? I got nuthin' else.

• Love 4

I agree that Sharon is unbearable, especially when she speaks with her exaggerated accent. Ugh!

Does anyone know what Marie Osmond meant when she called Maks (from DWTS) "not smart". I know what the words mean, but usually when someone puts words in air quotes, it has another meaning...AND she repeated twice, so she was definitely trying to get a point across.

• Love 1

I'm not sure what Marie could have meant. I didn't see yesterdays show but it must mean something considering Marie is the one who said it when she doesn't usually talk about people that way. Unless she doesn't really like him.

What was with Marie today? Pulling stuff from her cleavage?  To put things in perspective, I watched the Donny & Marie Show, which was a Sid & Marty Kroft production iirc, so "crazy antics" isn't a surprise. It's that she kept acting like a magicial and the never-ending hankerchiefs. One topic it's purple socks, an ad break, then a mirror with a handle, and at least one other item. I wasn't offended, more 'why?' Then the damn scream ( real or faked) for the Dean Norris interview.  I guess, in the immortal words of The Fresh Prince, I just don't understand. (The dome crap would've been cooler if all of the ladies had overreacted and Dean stayed cool cuz he's been trapped and it's no big to him.) Kudos to the vfx gang for keeping the effect going through the interview.

Speaking of Mr. Norris, how cool were the high school photos?!  Dean does have a nice smile, just sayin'.

I watch MeTV, and a couple of ads for the station have the' Marcia Brady gets hit by the football' clip and they have the "Oh! My nose!" line. I keep thinking back to last year's Brady Reunion and the Wall o' Marcia. If the footballs the actors threw hit the nose on the picture, the line was played! I laughed, felt bad, and laughed a little more. Goofy fun.

(edited)

Yipes, I come here to dish about how horrible this show is, and I guess I am the minority because there are no other neg. comments.  I don't care, I will go to my grave (I could be close) thinking Sheryl could be the worst-worst-ever choice as a member of this panel. She offends me every day with her stupid "portrayal of being a black woman."  

Edited by dimo
  • Love 5

I understand some folks don't enjoy Sheryl's brand of comedy, but I would hardly say she is portraying "black women", especially with Aisha Tyler there at the same table. Sheryl brings a humor to the roundtable discussions when they can get too serious for a midday talk show that talks about Joan Rivers' walkout on CNN, whether or not 'you' would be insecure about dating a known bisexual, Mrs. Brady's love life (three cheers if she does), Ozzie swinging around on silks in the bedroom, and the perfect summer drink.  I am not a Sheryl superfan, but I enjoy her. Mileage varies.

I enjoy this, as opposed to the View, because it is a lighter toned show. They are goofy with each other, but at least seem genuine in them liking each other. I watched the other show and after Lisa Ling and Meredith Viera left, it seemed all shouting all the time to me. Here, there's actual back and forth. I think the deepest episode I saw was when Mark Wahlberg and the cast were doing publicity for the release of Sole Survivor. The actual spouses and family of those real servicemen portrayed in the movie made me uncomfortable (I didn't need to hear their critiques of the actors' performances of dead loved ones), but it was more humanely done than a lot of other shows, I am betting.  (Sadly, I think it may have been Daytime Emmy bait of the 'We can be serious too!' type.)

Also, if they want to do cooking segments, give them more flippin' time to do it in! The modern audiences get that there is pre-cooked yummies and that the ladies are only doing the easy stuff. Give the chefs more time to explain to us unwashed masses how to do some of the stuff they do. Like yesterday's pasta twisting thing. Yes, we can go to the Tube of You, but why have that chef make the pasta that way and essentially tell Julie that she is doing it better? Let's see her do it! (Also? While cuisine-wise correct in that the pasta he was making was like wontons, it seemed to catch Julie off-guard and seemed a bit...oblivious to how it would sound- telling Julie that. I don't know the chef, so I'm going with not aware of how it sounded, for now.) 

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't really have a positive opinion of this show, overall. I'm in the minority, but I think the only good thing about this show is Sheryl even if she often goes for the easy joke. And each woman is allowed to speak their piece without being interrupted--the majority of the time. I think Julie Chen helps this show, just because they always do seem prepared for their guests, cooking segments, etc.

My least favorite thing about this show is how they all have the same take on a story, and how they will all agree and compound on each other to give the exact same reading of it as if that's the only way the story can be understood. The only disagreement you'll ever hear comes from Sara or Aisha, and then Sharon and Sheryl double-team to shame them for their "bad" opinions by laughing or mocking them.

Sharon is my least favorite person on this show, if you couldn't tell. She's such a nasty, hypocritical person who turns passive-aggressive when somebody doesn't agree with her and doesn't mind trying to intimidate people. Aisha isn't far behind either, since she's always trying to give a catch-all opinion to everything, so everyone will like or agree with her. She rarely feels genuine about anything, not to mention always being first in line to kiss Julie's behind. She's also one of the least funny comedian co-hosts I've seen on one of these shows. I don't like Sara necessarily, but at least she disagrees when she feels like it. I believe she's the only one Sharon couldn't get fired, so she has more of a safety net than others.

I don't like either Marie Osmond or the Wilson woman who regularly guest when one of the others is absent. It's not that they don't give honest opinions, it's just they really grate on me for whatever reason.

Edited by TheGreenKnight

Green Knight, I agree about not being too keen on either Marie or Carnie ("the Wilson woman"). Carnie is okay as a guest, I guess, but I am not a big fan of hers. Marie has just got me baffled as to why she's invited back so often.  Both ladies are nice, but I see no need for a guest host when one of the usual ladies is gone for one episode, which is usually the case. Now, not having Julie during the summer, due to Big Brother? I can see getting someone to sit in for a couple of days, but not much more.  

Which leads me to wonder: Do the ladies get to ask for who can sit-in for them? Or do they only have the choice, currently, of Marie or Carnie?

I saw the rerun of the Love Boat reunion. It was cute, but I could have done without Curtis Stone and his flambe' and mix-ins. I like Chef Stone, but we could have had some more talk with the cast in place of that segment.

I enjoyed how much everyone seemed to get into character. The jokes about Aisha's wig from Ted and Fred were funny. Everyone really looked good. Bernie Koppell is kicking 80's butt.

Glad to see Charo, yet I did wish for a small segment to let her talk about what she's up to now. Even if it's not here in the States.

The show tipped off Mr. Jones' appearance with the different lyrics at the top of the show. Yeah, he didn't have to appear, but he had a cd to plug, so why not, right?

Still can't get over the weirdness of Julie made up as Capt. Steubing, though. That was a bit strange.

Did anyone else catch Sharon's reaction to Aisha picking up Sara after her pregnancy announcement??  She seemed really annoyed & made the whole situation very uncomfortable.  That's my take.  Anyone?

Sharon is always giving Aisha the side eye. It seems there's some longstanding bad blood there, at least on Sharon's part. For all her experience on the business side of show biz, I don't think Sharon is very intelligent. Some really ignorant things come out of her mouth sometimes and you can often see Aisha squirming to bite her tongue. I think maybe Sharon resents that Aisha clearly doesn't buy her bluster. Then on the other hand, Aisha often can't dampen down her authoritative, Ivy League school-educated way of speaking. That probably puts someone like Sharon off.

Now over on the shallow end of the pool, why does Sheryl insist on wearing shoes she can't walk in? So much of time she seems to be holding onto someone's arm as they enter the studio and she looks like she can barely move without assistance.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 5

This whole face your fears thing is stupid.  I certainly hope that none of the critters they had Aisha walk on were killed or injured.  Just plain bad taste. 

I wish they would have just done the secrets thing this week like last year and not even bothered with this flaky fears crap. I guess this stuff is going on for 2 weeks since they started their new season a week before The View and next week is The View's season premiere week with a mostly new lineup. 

It was actually Dares last week and Truths this week. (Still kind of weak, but hey, theme!)  Aisha didn't step on any of the animals, I am willing to believe, because the animals had to have wranglers, especially the bitty gator or croc. I cannot see someone letting their livelihood get smushed just because CBS wants folks to watch the show.

Granted, I wasn't impressed with the Fear Factor walk Aisha took, but that was due to it being gross not something Aisha wasn't prepared to face. Or some other unexpected thing. Having her stay in studio was what TPTB were more focused on ( as the others had in studio dares), but Aisha's would have been more satisfying, to me, if she had done something, like have to actually do something she would never think of needing or having to do. ( I apologize for that last sentence.) Something like... help with a homebirth or be a high-rise window washer for a day or something not Fear Factor-y, but something that there was no way Aisha could prepare to take on. Not that I think she necessarily knew about that nasty gauntlet.

I missed the Truth for today (Wednesday, Sept. 17); can anyone fill me in? Aisha and Julie's Truths were obviously hard to share. I was mainly wondering who's turn it was.

I watched Sharon, Julie, and Aisha's secrets on The Talk website. I did watch the show and saw Sheryl's today and actually felt bad for her .I take it Sara is the only one left and that will be tomorrow.

Edited by MrsEVH

Who told Sharon Osbourne that having your face cut stripped and glued back together for the umpteenth time in an attempt to look as much like the late Tammi Faye Baker?  Someone who loathes her as much as I do or more i suspect.  I did love when they sat down on the second or third show, you could Sheryl sneaking look at her face and just getting mesmerized by it.

I agree with the majority, I like everyone except Sharon. I am never horrified at what she says and I would never allow another person to offend me,  I just find her histrionics boring.  

When Julie is off Aisha should be the one to take her place.  

I adore Sheryl!  And Sarah is precious.  They have a good crew here and should replace Sharon with Marie Osmond.  

I think Sharon's plastic surgery is an excellent job!

• Love 2

I find myself liking Julie Chen the best on this show.  I realize she's married to the Boss and has her quirks, but she's a great moderator and allows the rest to talk.  She can even be funny at times.  I actually want to hear more from her.  The others are so predictable in their responses.  Mrs. O with the faux posh-voiced outrage and "ridiculous" laughing; Aisha with the beautiful-geek girl schtick; Sara boring when she's not defending all things celebrity in her crunchy-granola fashion; and Sheryl -- sometimes funny, but all too-often willing to play the buffoon.  Sheryl is smart and well-spoken when she wants to be, but she always seems to go for the cheap laugh.  The audience needs to calm the F down -- probably the loudest I've ever heard on a talk show.  

On the positive, I can FF through this show in 10 minutes, so it's all good!

• Love 3

Really irritated today with the handling of the Keisha/Doctor Luke topic. I was fine until Aisha piped up with this doozy of a quote

"Women don't ... we know already that rape and sexual assault are completely unreported, dramatically underreported, because women are afraid to come forward. Women don't come out and say they've been raped, it's humiliating, it's s humiliating thing to admit on a public scale, so she wouldn't be saying things just glibbly, ooh I might've been raped."

I think Aisha needs to step back and think about what she said, she included all women in the context of her diatribe when what I think she means that a high profile woman would not jeopardize her career by lying about such a horrific crime.

Unfortunately women do lie about being raped we had two local cases in Ventura County in two separate cases where women lied about being raped and people were terrified until both victims eventually confessed to lying.

For the most part AT was on point, but she needs to choose her words better.

I adore Julie.  I have always liked her and felt protective when she was dissed in her first hosting of BB in its infancy.  She is getting better and better.  She is opening up in the most delightful way and her wit is keen and adorable.  Good for you Julie, I am a fan.  xoxoxoxoxoxo

• Love 3

I DVR'd Monday's show with Billy Idol. IMO the ladies are just not that good with interviewing rock stars. They either fawn all over them or sound like amateurs when asking the questions. I realize they're probably not fans of rock music but they sound so fake and try to be hip. I've seen the same thing on The View.

The Halloween episode today was fun! Between the costumes and the set and the audience, I actually wished I was in the audience.

Ana Gasteyer is one of my fave SNL alumna. I want that cd very much! She seems like a cool lady in actuality.

Eric Christian Olsen. I do not watch his flavor of NCIS, but when I peek in from time to time, I forget how good-lookin' he really is. His story about his son and his nephew was very cute.  

The game should have been tighter; the folks at Hollywood Game Night have consistently made me giggle at unconventional mash-ups. Come on The Talk writers! Get it together.

I love Sunny Anderson and enjoy her segments. Just why was poor Sheryl made to be in the segment when she had no free hands (her webbed flippers) and was unable to drink without help? Aisha could have been swapped in for her.  (Poor Sara! The costume was great, but it was as limiting as Sheryl's costume.)

Elvira is amazing and should be cherished for her wit and her consistent beauty. (Yes, she wears a wig, but Elvira is mostly just Ms. Cassandra in that wig and insane dress.

Overall, a pretty enjoyable show!

• Love 2

Jane Fonda was on today and she seemed very tense.  I have seen her interviewed many times and she is usually very relaxed and entertaining.  The format of 4 interviewing you could be unsettling. 

She doesn't hug and that is fine, good even.  She doesn't know any of them.  She greeted everyone by holding both of her hands out and grasping theirs.  Sheryl grabbed her for a stiff hug.  

She commented on Sharon's earring in a way that seemed like she needed something to say. Sarah then said they cost $85,000.  Jane spun around and grasped Sarah's arm and laughed loudly.  It wasn't a funny comment, Sarah knew it and was as surprised as I!  

See, and I thought that distinction belonged to Joel Mc Hale today. What a jerk. He seemed rude and disinterested during the interview. Then he deliberately tanked the game. As if just getting up and bolting as soon as the game was over wasn't bad enough, he decided to break something for good measure. a total jerk through and through.

• Love 2

See, and I thought that distinction belonged to Joel Mc Hale today. What a jerk. He seemed rude and disinterested during the interview. Then he deliberately tanked the game. As if just getting up and bolting as soon as the game was over wasn't bad enough, he decided to break something for good measure. a total jerk through and through.

I've never really liked McHale & now I know why!!  He was a total douche!!!

• Love 3

His exit was planned. The camera would not have stayed on him had they not been expecting him to break the bowl.  When a comic is on they all expect antics.  Julie handled it well. 

• Love 2

It was good today.  They all had a good time poking fun at the British.  Alan Alda asked if the British ever touch each other!  Everyone agree it was ridiculous and when you come to America know what we are all about and deal with it.  

• Love 1

wth was that?! I tuned in just when Barry Manilow was singing w/Louis Armstrong.

Sounded awful & Barry's timing way off - what a mess.

Did anyone address a problem afterwards? I turned it off after seeing a minute of this.

• Love 1

wth was that?! I tuned in just when Barry Manilow was singing w/Louis Armstrong. Sounded awful & Barry's timing way off - what a mess. Did anyone address a problem afterwards? I turned it off after seeing a minute of this.

He did that on The View too but with Whitney Houston and it was just as awkward on there. 

• Love 1

I'm late to the table, but, in case no one found things out:

* The Barry Manilow thing: his "people" wanted him to do a duets album, as they seem to sell well, so Barry made a list of folks he'd like to sing with. When he looked at it, most of the folks were dead. But we live in a time where Nat "King" Cole and Hank Williams can duet with their kids, so that's how Mr. Manilow's newest release came about. No, I did not want to listen to Messrs. Manilow and Armstrong duet.

*I took the Sherri Shephard re-introduction as them being silly. They did it with Joel McHale or some other gentleman earlier in the Fall.

I'm late to the table, but, in case no one found things out:

* The Barry Manilow thing: his "people" wanted him to do a duets album, as they seem to sell well, so Barry made a list of folks he'd like to sing with. When he looked at it, most of the folks were dead. But we live in a time where Nat "King" Cole and Hank Williams can duet with their kids, so that's how Mr. Manilow's newest release came about. No, I did not want to listen to Messrs. Manilow and Armstrong duet.

*I took the Sherri Shephard re-introduction as them being silly. They did it with Joel McHale or some other gentleman earlier in the Fall.

Thank   you! I was doubting my sanity!

I find the reintroduction very off putting.  Are they doing that to create clips to put together for re-runs during the "off season"?

I continue to find that when Sheryl is discussing a serious topic she can be quite insightful but most of the time she plays the role of the buffoon throwing off a one-liner, which I don't enjoy.

Anybody know when Sara is due and how long she'll be gone?  Are we going to be subjected to Carnie Wilson the whole time or will they mix it up?  I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed Naomi Campbell's appearance.

I like this show (sans the re introductions).  How they manage to not interrupt is something The View should study.   

Sometimes Sheryl hits and sometimes she misses.  I enjoy her for the most part.  I like the entire panel even though Sharon can be a bit much at times, far more than Sheryl. 

• Love 3

I got in on the end of the conversation today where Sharon was lambasting someone over not having the right to talk about someone being fat when that person had never had a weight problem.  She was disgusted wth this person - called her horrible things - and I just wondered who she was talking about and why so hot on the subject?

That's exactly why I came here.  I've just recently started peeking at this show, occasionally, but I did see the rant and wondered who it was about.  Whoever it was, Sharon can't stand her and called her a Nazi. That's strong stuff.

Would love to know who it was.  Thanks.

• Love 1

That's exactly why I came here.  I've just recently started peeking at this show, occasionally, but I did see the rant and wondered who it was about.  Whoever it was, Sharon can't stand her and called her a Nazi. That's strong stuff.

I didn't catch her name either, but she's a Brit doing a ?reality? show about putting on weight.  I'm sure you can find it in Google.

She is a Brit wannabe journalist.  She just wanted to get some buzz going on for herself.  Sharon knows who she is.  She says the obese have only themselves to blame and have to stop eating so much.  True for some, who openly admit that.  Some, probably have other things going on. It  was a throw away segment; slow news day. 

Edited by wings707

I didn't catch her name either, but she's a Brit doing a ?reality? show about putting on weight.  I'm sure you can find it in Google.

Katie Hopkins

• Love 1