Type keyword(s) to search

Jenny & Sumit: Slumdog Thousandaire

• Start Topic

Jenny will always get her social security, there are a few countries, like North Korea, where you have to put the money in a bank outside of NK, but that's only a few.    However, once she left the U.S. permanently, she gets no Medicare or U.S. medical insurance.   She would have to get her own in India (I'm assuming there's a seller for it there), or travel insurance, or pay cash.     

The man Jenny was talking to in the first few episodes was dramatizing what she's giving up for Sumit to move to India.   I'm wondering if we were played, and Jenny's 401k she took out, isn't all the money she has?   It wouldn't be the first fake storyline we've had on this show. 

If they legally marry, and Jenny dies, then at 60 Sumit could collect survivor benefits, but he's a long way from that age. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I find myself wondering what exactly kind of call center Sumit was working in before he became a kept man. A few weeks ago, I watched a series of YouTube videos about some US guys who were scamming the scammers basically--working with the police to get the goods on a cell of Indian call-center creeps who were cheating elderly American women of large sums of money. And suddenly I could visualize Sumit in his element, lying effortlessly to old women. It wouldn't surprise me even a little bit if I went back to rewatch those videos and saw him at one of the phones in the background. In fact, the voice of the featured scammer sounded just like our boy Sumit. So maybe his professional and personal lives intersected on Jenny.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 10/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, Mondrianyone said:

I find myself wondering what exactly kind of call center Sumit was working in before he became a kept man. A few weeks ago, I watched a series of YouTube videos about some US guys who were scamming the scammers basically--working with the police to get the goods on a cell of Indian call-center creeps who were cheating elderly American women of large sums of money. And suddenly I could visualize Sumit in his element, lying effortlessly to old women. It wouldn't surprise me even a little bit if I went back to rewatch those videos and saw him at one of the phones in the background. In fact, the voice of the featured scammer sounded just like our boy Sumit. So maybe his professional and personal lives intersected on Jenny.

And I always found it interesting that he quit that call center job almost the minute Jenny's flight landed...and neglected to tell her about that for a few days.  

No explanation as I recall, either.  Just that he had quit.  

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

And I always found it interesting that he quit that call center job almost the minute Jenny's flight landed...and neglected to tell her about that for a few days.  

No explanation as I recall, either.  Just that he had quit.  

Obviously he decided to work from home, lol...his payday landed when Jenny's flight landed and besides, remember how these 90 Day idiots get when their mate leaves the import for more than 10 minutes, nobody seems to have a job.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 10/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, Mondrianyone said:

I was addicted to the scambaiters YouTube channels, so have thought the very same thing.  Unfortunately my cable server uses Indian call centers and they use same tactics.( script- transferring you to different department, use fake American names). He sent her someone’s else’s picture and name and that was ok with her so I’m thinking it was a call center. Is he even working now or just keeping her company? How as a first born son will he be able to take care  of his parents if he doesn’t get off his ass.  Let me know if you want names of brilliant baiters. 

Edited by athousandclowns
Spell
  • Love 1
On 10/20/2021 at 2:52 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

He quit the call center job when she returned to India to live with him. 

Yeah, Jenny complained that she didn't know the language and culture and was afraid to be alone. Hence, he needed to quit his job and be with her 24/7.

• Love 2
On 10/23/2021 at 7:49 AM, Rootbeer said:

Yeah, Jenny complained that she didn't know the language and culture and was afraid to be alone. Hence, he needed to quit his job and be with her 24/7.

So I take it they are living off Jenny’s monthly social security payments (and the small amount they are making off of this crapfest of a show)?  It must be cheap to live in India because she had to have taken her SS payouts at age 62, which is the earliest you can start collecting I think.  At that point, your payments are decidedly lower than if you wait until 65 or 67 to start collecting.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

So I take it they are living off Jenny’s monthly social security payments (and the small amount they are making off of this crapfest of a show)?  It must be cheap to live in India because she had to have taken her SS payouts at age 62, which is the earliest you can start collecting I think.  At that point, your payments are decidedly lower than if you wait until 65 or 67 to start collecting.

They are about half.  

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

They are about half.  

I believe Social Security payments taken around age 62 are about 70% of the amounts at full retirement age. People retire early for all kinds of reasons. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, treeofdreams said:

Man, this show is addictive!

I started watching this just this season.  I have picked up bits and pieces, but could some kind person fill me in on the backstory?

Thanks!

The quick story is Jenny and Sumit met online, he catfished her, under the name Michael Jones (or something like that), with another man's picture.    After she finally found out his name is Sumit, she went to visit him in India.   She stayed at his parent's house, claiming to be Sumit's Facebook friend, but stayed for four months.  This was 10 years ago, and while Jenny was imposing on his family's hospitality, she was doing the humpty dance with Sumit.

Then when this show started, she retired at 62 to get her Social Security and moved to India.  Then, Sumit quit his job, they moved in together on Jenny's and TLC's dime, then it was discovered that Sumit was married, then he got divorced.   The divorce meant Sumit's father paid the $20k or so to the wife's family, and Sumit was supposed to pay him back.    Now Sumit finds endless ways to delay marrying Jenny.    Since in India the daughter-in-law becomes the housewife to everyone in the in-laws family, and cares for the older parents, Mama and Papa Sumit can't stand Jenny.  (If I screwed any of that up, I would love for corrections.)

(Thanks to Gobi for adding this: You forgot that Jenny gave up everything to be with Sumit! Even her car! What a blow she was dealt!)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 5
  • Love 9
12 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The quick story is Jenny and Sumit met online, he catfished her, under the name Michael Jones (or something like that), with another man's picture.    After she finally found out his name is Sumit, she went to visit him in India.   She stayed at his parent's house, claiming to be Sumit's Facebook friend, but stayed for four months.  This was 10 years ago, and while Jenny was imposing on his family's hospitality, she was doing the humpty dance with Sumit.

Then when this show started, she retired at 62 to get her Social Security and moved to India.  Then, Sumit quit his job, they moved in together on Jenny's and TLC's dime, then it was discovered that Sumit was married, then he got divorced.   The divorce meant Sumit's father paid the $20k or so to the wife's family, and Sumit was supposed to pay him back.    Now Sumit finds endless ways to delay marrying Jenny.    Since in India the daughter-in-law becomes the housewife to everyone in the in-laws family, and cares for the older parents, Mama and Papa Sumit can't stand Jenny.  (If I screwed any of that up, I would love for corrections.)

You forgot that Jenny gave up everything to be with Sumit! Even her car! What a blow she was dealt!

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Thank you so much!

Ten years, and she still doesn't know any Hindi.  And doesn't cook or clean.  And will need care before Mom and Pop Sumit do.  Wow.  I hope getting her money is worth all that.

Is there any place to watch earlier seasons online?

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

And doesn't cook or clean.

Didn't she say she doesn't cook? Never cooks? Sumit likes to cook, so he accepted that job. Wasn't the MESS in the kitchen courtesy of Sumit?  Just because one is a female doesn't mean one can or should be THE cook.

The rest of the apartment looked well taken care of...and she said that's her responsibility.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I had to laugh at Jenny saying she respects Mama and Papa Sumit at their house.  She visited for four months, and was boinking their son in Mama and Papa Sumit's house. 

Exactly, their 23 year old son at the time. And she was what, 53? Sneaking him up to the third floor guest room they so graciously let her - basically a stranger - stay in for the duration.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 10/4/2021 at 9:26 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

If they legally marry, and Jenny dies, then at 60 Sumit could collect survivor benefits, but he's a long way from that age. 

Really? If they couple never live in the US I wonder if that's true. I would think he'd be entitled to nothing unless they lived married in the US.

Also, I was totally on board with Jenny originally, and I've loathed Sumit's mother for how many years now? But the last couple of episodes, we've seen her really try, finally, and it's not that she's trying to be a fucking bitch to Jenny, she's just trying to show her what's expected of a new wife. I'd go so far as to say they're more modern in thinking than many parents just by the fact that they are trying to show here anything and not outright shunning them.

The fact that Sumit suddenly wants to live this traditional live with his parents and Jenny is just flat out weird and points to him knowing that's a breaking point for her. Though deal breaker rings hollow with Jenny because every time she says something is a deal breaker they do it anyway. I honestly don't know what he sees in her unless it's a long game con for whatever money she does have. The rest is bullshit. And not for nothing but Mother Sumit is 110% correct, she WILL be laughed at, shunned, and ostracized for her age. She walks like she can barely stand sometimes, I'm not sure what's wrong with her, but her fitness level is utter shit.

• Love 4

It doesn't matter if a Social Security recipient lives in the U.S. or not, even if they move to a country that doesn't have a banking relationship with the U.S. (North Korea, and a few others), there are still work arounds to that.   Anyone who qualifies for social security payments because of how long they paid into the system, and age, receives social security for life, no matter where they live in the world. 

If legally married to a s.s. recipient who dies, the spouse can get survivor benefits, even if they live in a foreign country.   There may be a period of time that they had to be legally married before the s.s. recipient died, but I'm not sure.   Also, the surviving spouse has to be a certain age to begin collecting survivor benefits too. I don't know if they still get benefits if they remarry either.    There are a lot of rules about all kinds of situations.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2

So the Astrologer was soooo interesting, and quite modern in his thinking as well. I was flabbergasted that he told Mother and Father Sumit to butt the hell out of Sumit and Jenny's life. But as we saw in a preview, we now know for sure that Sumit is all talk and never planned to marry Jenny. He even admitted he never saw his parent's giving in so he figured he'd never have to pull the trigger on marriage to Jenny. He has no intentions of doing so and we have confirmation now. Asshole. BUT...it also means he's not in it for her Social Security money either so I suppose that's a good thing? I still don't get what he sees in her though.

It was heartbreaking, okay a little bit, when they had the sit down and Mother and Father Sumit said they will love her, but they don't really accept her if they wont give their blessings for marriage, right? That's how I took that. And the fact that they're banking on them breaking up on their own, I guess they're playing the long game now. I wonder what Jenny will think when she sees that on TV. I'm sure Sumit won't care because he doesn't want to marry her either. And we all know she won't leave him even if she says she will. The whole thing is getting more bizarro world each season.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

It's obvious that he will never marry her and has no desire to do so.....But, I admit I am confused. If Sumit wanted to kick Jenny to the curb, he has had YEARS to do so----but it would have required him to man up. He has endured a lot of pressure and shaming from his family and I am sure the community in order to continue this relationship....especially when the in laws showed up and dragged him away, he could have just said I am so sorry, but this is what it is and we can never be----go home to the US, shame on me for screwing up your life and breaking your heart. so what is his endgame if it isn't marriage? What does he get out of just continuing to shack up with Granny? 

• Useful 4

My answer to what Sumit gets out of staying with Jenny is her social security checks, and whatever money she has that we don't know about, plus TLC money, and he's a TV personality.

I wonder how much of what we've seen about Sumit and family is real, and what is just a story line?   I suspect all of it's phony.   However, if Jenny and Sumit ever do marry, would they still have a story line?    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7

And he gets to play the romantic hero who stayed true to his love until his parents said it was okay and then he had nothing else to "fight" for...

As much as Jenny has held on to a fairytale as representing their love, I think he has as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My answer to what Sumit gets out of staying with Jenny is her social security checks, and whatever money she has that we don't know about, plus TLC money, and he's a TV personality.

I wonder how much of what we've seen about Sumit and family is real, and what is just a story line?  

After that fuck and awe sleight of hand TLC* displayed in that entire Geoffrey/Varya/Mary story line, I'm starting to side eye all of these couples.  I think the show has been on the air more than long enough for these couples to figure out how to get on the show and stay on the show by creating false drama (such as Pedro and Chantal, the Potthasts, Corey and Evelin, etc..).  Anything to keep feeding from the bottomless TLC trough.

I think as soon as the glorious train wreck of Dani and Mo came onto our screens and increased ratings, the writing was on the wall.  The more outrageous the couple, the more likely they would end up on the show in some form.  

We have no proof that Sumbitch's family barged into their apartment and swept him away from Jenny.  TLC (conveniently?) wasn't filming when this incident occurred.  The only reason I lean towards believing it might have actually happened is because I don't think Jenny is skilled enough to pull off all of those tears, etc., when recounting it.  I think their story might have started off genuine but, again, feeding from TLC trough and becoming a Z-list "celebrity" is apparently difficult to walk away from, so who knows how much of it is reality and how much of it is bullshit.  

*I'm saying TLC here, but a part of me wonders if it was really Geoffrey/Varya/Mary who played TLC as well as the viewers.  

• Love 5
On 11/8/2021 at 2:04 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

He also has an excuse not to get a job, as Jenny made him quit his job so he could be with her all the time and act as an interpreter.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

He also has an excuse not to get a job, as Jenny made him quit his job so he could be with her all the time and act as an interpreter.

Sumit says he quit his job because of Jenny, but this is probably about as truthful as the identity of Michael Jones. Jenny can’t make him do a thing he doesn’t want to or they would have gotten married a long time ago. 

• Useful 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
On 11/8/2021 at 3:04 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wonder how much of what we've seen about Sumit and family is real, and what is just a story line?  

I am absolutely convinced someone in that family has consulted a wanna-be script writer and they have at least a dozen more obstacles before they can marry.  I have no idea if they actually managed to get married, and this is one big joke on the viewers--like Corey and Evilyn. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

"90 Day Fiancé: Why Sumit’s Cold Feet Are No Surprise To Viewers"

https://screenrant.com/90-day-fiance-sumit-marriage-anxiety-unsurprising-reasons/

"90 Day Fiancé: Jenny Spills The Real Reason Why Sumit Can't Move To U.S."

https://screenrant.com/90-day-fiance-jenny-real-reason-sumit-america/

"Why 90 Day Fiancé's Sumit May Be Deceiving Jenny After All"

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/why-90-day-fiances-sumit-may-be-deceiving-jenny-after-all

• Useful 1

I didn't start watching this program until this season, so bear with me.

I thought I remembered people here referring to the fact that Sumit's wife's family paid Sumit's family a dowry, which they had to pay back when the couple was divorced.  Is that correct?

I was just reading an article that said dowries were made illegal in 1961.

Here is an interesting - and scary - article about dowry deaths:

http://lite.cnn.com/en/article/h_fb65360149207a7f40ef13c7e2217222

• Useful 1

Just because dowry payment was outlawed means nothing.   I think now instead of cash they 'gift' the groom's family with furniture and other items, to equal the cash amount they used to pay.     Yes, Sumit's father paid $20k to the wife's family, so they would agree to the divorce, and not fight it in court, but Sumit's father expects repayment for that.   At least that was the storyline, who knows what really happened.    

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Just because dowry payment was outlawed means nothing.   I think now instead of cash they 'gift' the groom's family with furniture and other items, to equal the cash amount they used to pay.     Yes, Sumit's father paid $20k to the wife's family, so they would agree to the divorce, and not fight it in court, but Sumit's father expects repayment for that.   At least that was the storyline, who knows what really happened.    

Okay, thanks for that explanation.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, Sumit's father paid $20k to the wife's family, so they would agree to the divorce,

The good news is that Father Sumit will be getting a bargain when Sumit decides to bail on Jenny, she is not worth $20K and nobody in her family would fight the divorce.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Just how does Sumit expect to pay his parent's back?  He is unemployed except for TLC money, right?

7 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

I didn't start watching this program until this season, so bear with me.

Okay, you seem nice so here it goes:  You will need either a muscle relaxer, a good libation, chocolate, or something soft to throw at the tv.  If you care to take a sip of said libation every time Jenny says "I am not waiting anymore" "When are we getting married" or "That is IT!  I am DONE!" I recommend having a PTO day off the next day as you will be unable to function the next day.  Just sayin'.........

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • LOL 10
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Okay, you seem nice so here it goes:  You will need either a muscle relaxer, a good libation, chocolate, or something soft to throw at the.  If you care to take a sip of said libation every time Jenny says "I am not waiting anymore" "When are we getting married" or "That is IT!  I am DONE!" I recommend having a PTO day off the next day as you will be unable to function the next day.  Just sayin'.........

Thanks for the advice.  Since my libation of choice is root beer, which wouldn't be much help, I will stock up on chocolate, which will.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Thanks for the advice.  Since my libation of choice is root beer, which wouldn't be much help, I will stock up on chocolate, which will.

Really, any vice will do!  Mine is soft mozzarella cheese and baguette crisps and lemonade.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Just how does Sumit expect to pay his parent's back?  He is unemployed except for TLC money, right?

I doubt his parents would be on this show if they were not getting paid somehow.  I think TLC is probably paying them and also Armando's dad to be on the show.

Sumit is gross and manipulative, and Jenny is so stupid and delusional.

16 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

It also helps to snark on the live chat thread.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Twopper said:
18 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

It also helps to snark on the live chat thread.

I probably wouldn't be watching if I didn't have this place to come to and read all the posts!

I am also enjoying the Pillow Talk episodes.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Yes, she does.  It's nice to see her looking happy instead of mad, frustrated, etc.

I was looking at photos from earlier in their journey; she was actually quite pretty then.

She looks beautiful. I do give Jenny credit for at least attempting to adapt to the culture…her clothing is always beautiful. Better than smoking a cigarette while wearing a green bra under a traditional North American dress while belting about being American. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 3

Those were definitely beautiful wedding outfits, no question.

My hard, pruney little heart is way too cynical, though. Sumit's decade-long foot-dragging and lying and mama's-boying has me totally skeptical of this last-minute pivot to a fairy-tale ending. I smell something like a big check or, more likely, a spin-off featuring their life as a weird married couple with Mama Sumit skulking around corners brandishing a broom, a nasal hose, and a vial of instant diarrhea. Something like Monkeyshines with the Singhs! I just can't bring myself to buy it.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2