Type keyword(s) to search

Jenny & Sumit: Slumdog Thousandaire

• Start Topic

Watching this little gem. He lied about his name, location, picture, age, pretty much everything, and she is ok with that? And why in the ever-loving hell is a 60 year old chasing a 25 year old online (who actually turned out to be 30 if I saw that correctly)?

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Hannah94 said:

Watching this little gem. He lied about his name, location, picture, age, pretty much everything, and she is ok with that? And why in the ever-loving hell is a 60 year old chasing a 25 year old online (who actually turned out to be 30 if I saw that correctly)?

She is ridiculous.  Is she really going to give up social security to marry this guy and work until she drops dead?  Why can't she just make extended visits? 

I wonder why he doesn't want to come here, he actually has some sort of job skill that could help him get a reasonable job.  

She is 60 and has 6000 to her name.  I was dead when that financial advisor was like "she can't even afford a car"

• LOL 11
  • Love 10
(edited)
7 minutes ago, RealReality said:

She is ridiculous.  Is she really going to give up social security to marry this guy and work until she drops dead?  Why can't she just make extended visits? 

I wonder why he doesn't want to come here, he actually has some sort of job skill that could help him get a reasonable job.  

She is 60 and has 6000 to her name.  I was dead when that financial advisor was like "she can't even afford a car"

Haha! I thought that was rather odd too. I am not swimming in money but I have far more than 6k in my savings and 401k so wtf has she been doing exactly? Sweet baby Jesus, I feel so much better about my own life when I watch this shit show. 

Edited by Hannah94
  • LOL 7
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Hannah94 said:

I think it's because she thinks she's in love with him.  She probably feels she doesn't have much going for her where she is now, so she feels, "I need a change and this is perfect!"  He probably tells her how beautiful she is, how much he wants to be with her; and maybe she's not getting that from anybody else.  

Does it make sense?  No.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, RealReality said:

Why is he assuming she is giving up her citizenship?  Can't she be a permanent resident somewhere else and still be an American citizen?  Yes, it is a pain in the ass in that you still have to file taxes in the US and they are more complicated than regular, but even paying a tax accountant several hundred dollars a year to file your taxes and still getting social security you come out WAY ahead.  What am I missing?

• Love 14

Don’t a lot of Americans move out of the country (Costa Rica etc.) and still collect Social Security?  I bet her problem is that she is too young to collect (even the reduced amount at 62) and because her savings are so small she will have to get a job there.  Maybe to get a job there she would have to became an Indian citizen (and give up US citizenship)?  Or financial adviser doesn’t know what he’s talking about could always be a thing on this franchise.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Don’t a lot of Americans move out of the country (Costa Rica etc.) and still collect Social Security?  I bet her problem is that she is too young to collect (even the reduced amount at 62) and because her savings are so small she will have to get a job there.  Maybe to get a job there she would have to became an Indian citizen (and give up US citizenship)?  Or financial adviser doesn’t know what he’s talking about could always be a thing on this franchise.

Don't know anything about India so don't know if she would be eligible for a work visa - that is a very good question.  And yes, she is too young for social security.

The ONLY saving grace about her story is that she was choosing to NOT take the slutwear with her a la Angela.  Thank dog we won't be subjected to her bra straps and peek-a-boo cleavage,

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I agree. She is ridiculous. The way she was reacting on obtaining her passport.  Holy moly! Has she even left the States at all? 

This one is another trainwreck and I honestly do not see the pull on his side. What's his gain? She doesn't have much money, she long in the tooth and not that bright.  If she was bringing him State side I can see that.  The advantage for him of her moving to India is?????

• Love 6
6 hours ago, doyouevengohere said:

Maybe she was also catfishing him?????

Double catfishes are hilarious.  TLC would have told us though, right?

I'm sure there is an angle, I just don't know what it is.  And honestly, it is very difficult for women I've 50 to find employment in the states (I just watched a pbs newshour segment on this) and I can't imagine it'll be easier in a country with so many people who are younger.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Does she not think of the poverty in India, the overcrowding, pollution, insects, contaminated water? Food differences? Religion?

Like Nicole she probably fixated on the dick. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

What's Sumit's angle?   He has a nice job, he flew her to India,  he wept when his family told him to dump her....he continued to talk to her....he decided to go against Indian code and marry her, move out of his parent's home....

He isn't try to get to America.  He already has the opportunity to date whomever he wants of whatever age and he's still picking her.....what are we missing?

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
37 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

My best friend is Indian.  I can't wait to ask her if some of these things are true.   Sumit seems genuine about something....can't figure out what the angle is yet.

I'm watching the full episode now because Philo sux and yes, he seems genuine!  I don't get it, but I think this may be real!

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, RealReality said:

I'm watching the full episode now because Philo sux and yes, he seems genuine!  I don't get it, but I think this may be real!

I think the culture shock will do her in. Also, he thinks he will just tell his family he’s moving far away for a job  and that’s it? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

A friend of Pakistani origin lives in the UK. She lives with her parents until she gets married and then it's moving to her husband's house to live with his parents and other relatives.

Sumit may be genuine, he may be hiding something - sexuality, whatever - and Jenny is a good escape for him. Maybe he is a modern Indian man who has seen parts of the world and wants to change his life.

Hope Jenny got all her shots. She lives in Palm Springs so she is used to some heat.

• Love 3

Some people never truly grow up. She is ine of those people who never outgrow the whimsical, 15 year old girl who wants to run away with the bad boy. Except its not cute an  inexcusable when youre 60, look anout 65, and dating a guy half your age . 

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, iwasish said:

I think the culture shock will do her in. Also, he thinks he will just tell his family he’s moving far away for a job  and that’s it? 

Oh totally, will it work?  Probably not, but I think the feelings are real on both sides when one person is so much older...which is so rare on this franchise.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

What's Sumit's angle?   He has a nice job, he flew her to India,  he wept when his family told him to dump her....he continued to talk to her....he decided to go against Indian code and marry her, move out of his parent's home....

He isn't try to get to America.  He already has the opportunity to date whomever he wants of whatever age and he's still picking her.....what are we missing?

I'm trying to figure out the angle myself. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

4 hours ago, greekmom said:

I'm trying to figure out the angle myself. 

There are millions of Indian guys online doing whatever they can to get a foreign wife/girlfriend. India has a caste system and a guy there would more or less have marry a woman of similar social status, often with the wedding being arranged.  They don't get their choice of women in India. If he marries the old American lady he gets one step closer to moving to the USA as the spouse of an American.  Also, her $1200 a month in social security may be 3-4 times what he earns in a month. Also, he thinks she's richer than she is and would assume she has way more than $6,000. He ain't gonna be happy when her money runs out in a year.

I think she said that he bought her the plane ticket. That would really, really surprise me.  I have a hard time believing it's true.

What I missed is why she's moving to India instead if importing him to the USA. Maybe like Paul, she's too poor to sponsor him and can't get a co-sponsor, but I don't remember that being discussed as her motivation for moving there.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, gavinmac said:

There are millions of Indian guys online doing whatever they can to get a foreign wife/girlfriend. India has a caste system and a guy there would more or less have marry a woman of similar social status, often with the wedding being arranged.  They don't get their choice of women in India. If he marries the old American lady he gets one step closer to moving to the USA as the spouse of an American.  Also, her $1200 a month in social security may be 3-4 times what he earns in a month. Also, he thinks she's richer than she is and would assume she has way more than $6,000. He ain't gonna be happy when her money runs out in a year.

I think she said that he bought her the plane ticket. That would really, really surprise me.  I have a hard time believing it's true.

What I missed is why she's moving to India instead if importing him to the USA. Maybe like Paul, she's too poor to sponsor him and can't get a co-sponsor, but I don't remember that being discussed as her motivation for moving there.

That's exactly it. Why is she not doing the K1 for him but moving to India? Unless it's just part of the show and they are in the States now?  Our sleuths need to get on the case!

At first I thought maybe she was thinking it would be something like The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel movie but then Jenny doesn't seem that she would watch something like that. LOL

• Useful 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, RealReality said:

So....Jenny's friend is a drag queen, right?  I've been watching pose, so I'm used to better.

I thought the exact same thing.  In fact, I would not be surprised if u told me that all of her friends, including Jenny, used to be men.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
6 hours ago, greekmom said:

That's exactly it. Why is she not doing the K1 for him but moving to India? Unless it's just part of the show and they are in the States now?  Our sleuths need to get on the case!

She has no money and none of her friends would sponsor him, so maybe she just wasn't financially able to sponsor him. But if that's the case, they should say that.

Edited by gavinmac
  • Love 6

I know I'm a sucker and I know I'm gonna be humiliated off this stage like showtime at the Apollo, but he really seems to be into her.  

I think he would have preferred Brittney Spears, but he likes blonde white women and this is the best it's gonna get!

It still doesn't explain why he wouldn't go to the United States instead, since he can speak the language well and has a for real skill set (no offense to Andrei and his handyman skills I have yet to see).  

If she works at a palm springs resort she should make decent money, and she has no children to support so why can't she sponsor him?

It's not even that expensive to live in the desert.  In Palm springs yes, surrounding desert.... no.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Maybe he has a criminal conviction.  And doesn’t the US limit what nonprofessionals can come here?  We have plenty of people who can answer phones in a call center.

• Love 3

She lives with her daughter. I doubt she has a lot of money. 

Actually I think she does really care for  him. She accepted the revelation that he wasn’t the hot, non Indian, Michael Jones and whatever reason he gave for pretending. I think she may have been relieved that he was  just an average looking guy. She might have been wondering what that other hot younger guy wanted, doubted his motives. 

I think she is looking for a major life change. She’s age 60+ and sees life and love passing her by. Her kids are grown, she has a boring job etc.  it’s going to be a culture shock for her.  They may get strange looks from others due to the age difference. I think they have an interesting story. Probably more than the other couples who just seem clueless. Sumit doesn’t seem all that smart, but he does seem kind. Time will tell. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I saw the 2nd part and he was crying when talking about her, so maybe he does really love her.  They are strange though.  If he doesn't care about his parents and plans on ghosting them, then he should just go to the US.  It really makes no sense for her to go there.

• Love 5

I can't wait to find out the motive.  I'm intrigued.

Also I thought Sumit's friends were very kind and didn't straight bash her about the obvious.  Or at least if they did they edited it out.  They brought up several good points about what he was doing versus what was expected.   The one friend looked visibly upset as Sumit kept dropping bombs on what he was planning to do.....he looked like he could already see the family ramifications, social ramifications etc and it was crushing him.  

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Spike said:

Maybe he has a criminal conviction.  And doesn’t the US limit what nonprofessionals can come here?  We have plenty of people who can answer phones in a call center.

I didn't think the k1 visa would be based on job prospects.

As for the call center thing.  I actually think it requires a special skill set.  By the time I call a company, I've normally worked on whatever the problem is to the point of frustration.

I Im not fun, and a good phone rep can be patient enough to deal with my angry sarcasm, which they do not deserve but end up being the recipient of because I'm not in a good mood.  They can creatively come up with solutions or at least let me vent a little.

with a good phone rep you leave the conversation feeling helped, even if they weren't able to help or had to escalate the situation.  

i don't think anyone could do the job and I know for sure that I don't have the temperment for it.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I can't wait to find out the motive.  I'm intrigued.

Also I thought Sumit's friends were very kind and didn't straight bash her about the obvious.  Or at least if they did they edited it out.  They brought up several good points about what he was doing versus what was expected.   The one friend looked visibly upset as Sumit kept dropping bombs on what he was planning to do.....he looked like he could already see the family ramifications, social ramifications etc and it was crushing him.  

Yeah, blue jacket was about to lose his mind!

• Love 5

I worked with a man from Pakistan and it seems  that the friendships he has with other men are very close and they really look out for one another and give advise or tell someone they’re out of their minds. He had some friends from grammar school and high school and college. Even those who are still in Pakistan keep in touch.  I would guess India is the same.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Spike said:

I can't see TLC not playing up the criminal convictions if he does have one.  I mean it's all over in the other couple (Tiffany and whatshisname in South Africa).

I know the cast system is suppose not exist in India but still does play into marriage.  Maybe he's low on the cast system? I am pulling straws and really need to find out the con in this one.  She doesn't have much money. She's moving there to live. Like seriously.  I cannot in my right mind believe he truly loves her and doesn't want the prize in the sky - Amerika.

I guess TLC has jaded me on  twue wuv.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, greekmom said:

I can't see TLC not playing up the criminal convictions if he does have one.  I mean it's all over in the other couple (Tiffany and whatshisname in South Africa).

I know the cast system is suppose not exist in India but still does play into marriage.  Maybe he's low on the cast system? I am pulling straws and really need to find out the con in this one.  She doesn't have much money. She's moving there to live. Like seriously.  I cannot in my right mind believe he truly loves her and doesn't want the prize in the sky - Amerika.

I guess TLC has jaded me on  twue wuv.

Well he did say no women in India even his mom have ever called him cute.  So maybe just being the object of some woman’s desire is more than he has ever had and he fears if he lets this one go he may be alone the rest of his life.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Spike said:

Well he did say no women in India even his mom have ever called him cute.  So maybe just being the object of some woman’s desire is more than he has ever had and he fears if he lets this one go he may be alone the rest of his life.

From want his friend in the blue jacket said it sounds like he'd have a wife.  BUT, I think there is something about a woman (an American blonde woman!) which saw who he really was and found him..adorable!  She wasnt obligated to be with him, she desired him.  I think it probably forgave a lot of potential flaws.  And I get it, who doesn't want to be wanted?

This still seems like a terrible idea the entire way around, but in it's own way it's kinda sweet.

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, RealReality said:

From want his friend in the blue jacket said it sounds like he'd have a wife.  BUT, I think there is something about a woman (an American blonde woman!) which saw who he really was and found him..adorable!  She wasnt obligated to be with him, she desired him.  I think it probably forgave a lot of potential flaws.  And I get it, who doesn't want to be wanted?

This still seems like a terrible idea the entire way around, but in it's own way it's kinda sweet.

I agree, though she needs to really research her financial situation and make sure that she doesn’t forfeit her SS. Once she has her ducks in a row money wise, and is sure she will be happy in India long term, she can concentrate on the relationship. 

They seem like an odd couple on the surface but I think both are dissatisfied at this time in their lives and wanting to make a change, provided Sumit doesn’t have an ulterior motive or a scam going, I hope they find whatever it is they’re looking for. 

• Love 2

I love how positive we all are....we are going to look really stupid in a couple of episodes LOL.  There HAS to be a catch otherwise they wouldn’t be on this show...the other shoe must drop right?

why hasn’t his family arranged a marriage yet if that’s how it’s done?  Especially after he brought her around the first time and they parents said no way?

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5