Type keyword(s) to search

Jenny & Sumit: Slumdog Thousandaire

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

Brother Persnickety worked for a big resort in Death Valley, CA.

The pay was very average, but as a deterrent, the employees were provided free off-resort living quarters that were pretty decent.  I believe it included basic utilities as well.  

I'm wondering if whatever resort Jenny worked at had a similar set up, which might be why she is now living with her daughter.  Once she quit her job, she would have lost any employer-provided housing she may have had.  

I'm curious about what she did at the resort.  It could have been anything from working in the laundry room to holding a clerical or managerial position.  Her salary and subsequent 401K contributions could vary a great degree based on her income at the resort.  

(Brother Persnickety tried to get me to hire on at the resort where he worked...but Death Valley?  Hell to the no, thank you.)

I promise you would have had the best stories though.  I had fantastic stories from working at a basic airport hotel.  But you know people vacationing in death valley are probably smoking all sorts of peyote and tripping balls.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 6/11/2019 at 2:38 AM, BellaLV said:

Sumit is lonely and doesn't have a lot of romantic options. Jenny, as a broke, immature, elderly woman, definitely doesn't have romantic options. 

Elderly LOL -- Jenny does not present as elderly.

She's probably not broke either.  The finance guy said 6K in cash  not in assets.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Sokoke said:

Elderly LOL -- Jenny does not present as elderly.

She's probably not broke either.  The finance guy said 6K in cash  not in assets.

Idk, in your 60s, having 6k cash to your name, and living in your daughter's apartment sounds kinda broke to me. Unless she owns a big ass yacht or has a lot of stock. But then again, I must remember the shit show we are watching and how most of the info portrayed is shady.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 6/12/2019 at 10:55 AM, doyouevengohere said:

Her daughters are really pretty; like vintage 1940's pinup girls.  I'm sure Jenny was a dish in her day.  But not now.......I didn't understand what she was saying about visiting him before...she stayed with his parents?  and now they all hate her b/c she's Jenny and not some young pretty Indian girl that would give respect and grandchildren?

That’s the way I understood what she said. She stayed with him and his family for a couple of months (didn’t say if they were anything other than nice to her), but after she left they told him that they would not accept her as a daughter in law and that if he married her, he would be disowned.

She does have a nice figure for 60+, beautiful blue eyes and with her hair up does look pretty good. A bit weather beaten(wrinkles and sun damage) but at least not crude and lewd like Angela. 

Edited by iwasish
  • Love 13

Jenny looks like Amy Farrah Fowler (pre series finale makeover) from the Big Bang Theory.  She could have played Amy's mother, no sweat.  Not that Kathy Bates wasn't great as Amy's mother.

• Love 4
On 6/13/2019 at 7:35 PM, iwasish said:

That’s the way I understood what she said. She stayed with him and his family for a couple of months (didn’t say if they were anything other than nice to her), but after she left they told him that they would not accept her as a daughter in law and that if he married her, he would be disowned.

She does have a nice figure for 60+, beautiful blue eyes and with her hair up does look pretty good. A bit weather beaten(wrinkles and sun damage) but at least not crude and lewd like Angela. 

I get the feeling Jenny would be nothing but 100% respectful to Sumit's parents (unlike Baby Beluga) but that would not be the point.  It is just not done, who cares what the neighbors think (well in this case we care a lot) but it is just not done.

Not to pick on Jenny but when I am 60 I hope to hell I have more than $6000 in cash.   (Have more than that now, thank goodness) IRA? 401K? Assets from a home sale?  Does she have a teaching license?  A nursing license?  Anything?  I have a valid teaching license so someday, if needed, I could secure a job or at least turn to sub teaching.

Still not sure what to make of Sumit:  Good looking guy, nice friends, job, why is he not into a nice Indian girl his age?

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I get the feeling Jenny would be nothing but 100% respectful to Sumit's parents (unlike Baby Beluga) but that would not be the point.  It is just not done, who cares what the neighbors think (well in this case we care a lot) but it is just not done.

Not to pick on Jenny but when I am 60 I hope to hell I have more than $6000 in cash.   (Have more than that now, thank goodness) IRA? 401K? Assets from a home sale?  Does she have a teaching license?  A nursing license?  Anything?  I have a valid teaching license so someday, if needed, I could secure a job or at least turn to sub teaching.

Still not sure what to make of Sumit:  Good looking guy, nice friends, job, why is he not into a nice Indian girl his age?

Yes, if he parents are supposed to arrange his marriage, why haven’t they?  He’s thirty plus, I’m guessing that he doesn’t have much opportunity to date, not sure about any sex life he may have. Is money a part of the arranged marriage? Perhaps his folks don’t have enough $$ to hook him up with a decent wife?

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, iwasish said:

Yes, if he parents are supposed to arrange his marriage, why haven’t they?  He’s thirty plus, I’m guessing that he doesn’t have much opportunity to date, not sure about any sex life he may have. Is money a part of the arranged marriage? Perhaps his folks don’t have enough $$ to hook him up with a decent wife?

I went to graduate school w/a woman who was from India (not sure of the region) and was still married to a man she married through an arranged marriage.  She was up front:  "Yes we fell in love, we were lucky."  She also explained that, contrary to what people believe, the woman can pass on the man.  No pressure.  She calls the shots.  Now I get there are many caste systems and this may not be true of all systems but it was very interesting to me!  I wish I would have asked about money, dowry, etc. but did not feel it was my place.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I went to graduate school w/a woman who was from India (not sure of the region) and was still married to a man she married through an arranged marriage.  She was up front:  "Yes we fell in love, we were lucky."  She also explained that, contrary to what people believe, the woman can pass on the man.  No pressure.  She calls the shots.  Now I get there are many caste systems and this may not be true of all systems but it was very interesting to me!  I wish I would have asked about money, dowry, etc. but did not feel it was my place.

I know several people my age (I’m 33) from India who’ve had arranged marriages. Yes the woman can pass on the man (and Vice versa). Arranged marriages are not FORCED marriages. Usually marriages are arranged by caste and the dowry is proportional to the bride’s parents assets (also the bride’s projected income- what she’s going to earn in the marriage).

I can see a variety of reasons why Summit isn’t married now. I don’t think he and Jenny are the “real deal” but I’m not bothered by her going. If she hates it, or they break up she can just COME HOME whenever she wants. There are flights everyday. Her daughter would welcome her back without issue until she could get her own place. 

• Love 4

I don't think Jenny had her own place here!  I think she had a bedroom in her daughter's apartment!  She cleaned out the room and sold the furniture!

Probably a lifetime of bad choices! 

I will say her children and grandchildren seemed pleasant and loving.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I don't think Jenny had her own place here!  I think she had a bedroom in her daughter's apartment!  She cleaned out the room and sold the furniture!

Probably a lifetime of bad choices! 

I will say her children and grandchildren seemed pleasant and loving.

Yes she was living in a room in her daughters house. I do think her grandchildren and children love her a lot, and her daughters concerns are valid. But she’s not selling herself into a lifetime of servitude. They aren’t even married yet. She can always come home if she doesn’t like it. 

• Love 3
On 6/4/2019 at 5:18 PM, iwasish said:

She lives with her daughter. I doubt she has a lot of money. 

Actually I think she does really care for  him. She accepted the revelation that he wasn’t the hot, non Indian, Michael Jones and whatever reason he gave for pretending. I think she may have been relieved that he was  just an average looking guy. She might have been wondering what that other hot younger guy wanted, doubted his motives. 

I think she is looking for a major life change. She’s age 60+ and sees life and love passing her by. Her kids are grown, she has a boring job etc.  it’s going to be a culture shock for her.  They may get strange looks from others due to the age difference. I think they have an interesting story. Probably more than the other couples who just seem clueless. Sumit doesn’t seem all that smart, but he does seem kind. Time will tell. 

I read somewhere online that they have been a couple for seven years already.  Apparently she had an instagram account that went back that far that has since been replaced.

On 6/13/2019 at 5:35 PM, iwasish said:

Definitely a different woman than Angela I believe she lived with his family for four months but not sure if that's very recent as I've since read they have been a couple for seven years already!

Have they said why she didn’t apply for a K1? Wouldn’t he do better here, than trying to hide from his parents and live a lie there? 

Even if they don’t live a luxurious life here, they should be able to live better than they do in India. Neither one of them seems lazy. 

1 hour ago, endure said:

I read somewhere online that they have been a couple for seven years already.  Apparently she had an instagram account that went back that far that has since been replaced.

If I recall, they chattered for a couple of years, then she went there for several months. His folks made it clear they would not accept her as a daughter in law. Since then they’ve spent several years chatting over the internet and phone without his family knowing. (Not sure about hers). Not sure yet if it’s seven years, but I think it’s been  at least 4, or so yeah they’ve been “ a couple “ for a long while. 

• LOL 1
8 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes she was living in a room in her daughters house. I do think her grandchildren and children love her a lot, and her daughters concerns are valid. But she’s not selling herself into a lifetime of servitude. They aren’t even married yet. She can always come home if she doesn’t like it. 

Maybe she was just back there visiting and staying with the daughter, they give us these storylines but then when you look online a lot of times there's another story, so we never really know.  I do know this show is a big opportunity for her to earn some $$$

• Love 3
1 minute ago, endure said:

Maybe she was just back there visiting and staying with the daughter, they give us these storylines but then when you look online a lot of times there's another story, so we never really know.  I do know this show is a big opportunity for her to earn some $$$

Very possible. 

• Love 2

The problem with the K-1 Fiance visa, or the marriage visa is they cost money for applications, etc.    Only 66% of fiance visas are currently approved, and there is still the sponsor's requirement for certain income to sponsor the fiance.     

Plus, where would Jenny and Sumit live if he came to the U.S., in the spare room at the daughter's place?    Would they need a co-sponsor?   If so I can see that being a big no from the daughters.    How long would it be before Sumit could work either?   

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The problem with the K-1 Fiance visa, or the marriage visa is they cost money for applications, etc.    Only 66% of fiance visas are currently approved, and there is still the sponsor's requirement for certain income to sponsor the fiance.     

Plus, where would Jenny and Sumit live if he came to the U.S., in the spare room at the daughter's place?    Would they need a co-sponsor?   If so I can see that being a big no from the daughters.    How long would it be before Sumit could work either?   

It's just sumit and Jenny and even if she has a terrible job at the resort she should clear more than 26k a year, so I don't think she would have required a co-sponsor. 

I think that if the choice was between their mom (who, even if relatively healthy now may need more healthcare soon) living in the US or living in India they would have found room for her and sumit until they could get in their feet.

Sumit seems to be able to afford and apartment and was able to buy Jenny a plane ticket to India.  I'm thinking he might also have some sort of money.  Though even if he didn't, he has some marketable skill and could work once cleared to do so.  

He would be better off in America than Andrei.

• Love 1

(shrug), so far I'm not bothered much by these two. Maybe its a folie a deux, maybe they really care for one another, maybe Sumit is gay and they have an "arrangement". If it works for them and no one is getting screwed, well, have at it, you crazy kids! And I'm betting that Jenny's retirement income will go a lot further in India than it will here. They can probably afford a decent apartment and live comfortably, if not luxuriously. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

(shrug), so far I'm not bothered much by these two. Maybe its a folie a deux, maybe they really care for one another, maybe Sumit is gay and they have an "arrangement". If it works for them and no one is getting screwed, well, have at it, you crazy kids! And I'm betting that Jenny's retirement income will go a lot further in India than it will here. They can probably afford a decent apartment and live comfortably, if not luxuriously. 

I just saw their apartment, it was VERY nice for $350 a month.  He rented a two bedroom....hmmm.....if his folks chase him down he can say that is Jenny's room, this is mine?  I just feel this is going to end poorly - you have to sneak around, wondering if someone will recognize Sumit and report back to his parents?  I mean, really?

I will say:  These two seem genuine.  (Will these words come back to bite me?  Probably!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Jenny, don't move to another country and expect to not live by their laws, standards, and customs, regardless of how archaic it seems. You're not an exception just because you're from America.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Hannah94 said:

Jenny, don't move to another country and expect to not live by their laws, standards, and customs, regardless of how archaic it seems. You're not an exception just because you're from America.

Yep...true that.  I hear this chatter: "I am an American woman and I don't want to wear a sari."  Should of thought of that before you moved to....India.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
35 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I just saw their apartment, it was VERY nice for $350 a month.  He rented a two bedroom....hmmm.....if his folks chase him down he can say that is Jenny's room, this is mine?  I just feel this is going to end poorly - you have to sneak around, wondering if someone will recognize Sumit and report back to his parents?  I mean, really?

I will say:  These two seem genuine.  (Will these words come back to bite me?  Probably!)

You can sit right next to me, because I think it's real too!

• Love 4

I think she’s suddenly realized that her future isn’t going to be the fairy tale. Sumit isn’t some strong stud who is going to protect her. He’s torn between his parents and her. He can’t even recall what lie he told to who. He’s rented an apartment in an area that he’s not even sure he won’t be recognized in. Especially if his parents  start asking around about an older white American woman with a much younger Indian man. He admits his parents have taken care of everything In his life. He’s never lived alone. Now Jenny is here and she’s suddenly making comments about no hot water, and she wants a nice shower, he’s just like well we have to get an electrician so you have to wait. Pretty quick she’s realizing that she’s the one making all the changes to conform and that Sumit is pushing her to do so. (Buying the traditional clothes to better fit in). They aren’t the  lovers fighting against the culture that would keep them apart that she imagined they were. 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, magemaud said:

No hot water for hair washing! 

6B5BAEAC-D119-4344-A027-DEED731DEDB6.jpeg

That’s why most of the K1 traffic is to America not out of America. 

It wasn’t mentioned but did Jenny ever consult a doctor about any immunizations she might need? Hygiene isn’t the greatest in some of these counties. All kinds of farm animals walking around crapping and peeing in the streets. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, iwasish said:

That’s why most of the K1 traffic is to America not out of America. 

It wasn’t mentioned but did Jenny ever consult a doctor about any immunizations she might need? Hygiene isn’t the greatest in some of these counties. All kinds of farm animals walking around crapping and peeing in the streets. 

She could have gone with Corey to get the shots and held his hand for him.

Watching a rerun now:  "This is a dream come true."  Really?  Hiding from everyone, having a man who lies to his parents, being asked to conform to Indian customs, no hot water.......live that dream, Jenny!

I still think they are genuine in their feelings for each other but there are just way too many obstacles.  Lying to everyone is a biggie.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
14 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

She could have gone with Corey to get the shots and held his hand for him.

Watching a rerun now:  "This is a dream come true."  Really?  Hiding from everyone, having a man who lies to his parents, being asked to conform to Indian customs, no hot water.......live that dream, Jenny!

I still think they are genuine in their feelings for each other but there are just way too many obstacles.  Lying to everyone is a biggie.

I think Sumit would have been happy to continue with the relationship over the phone and internet. He was satisfied with the fantasy “future” the two of the had created. I don’t think he ever really imagined they would get together. With Jenny, she is more aware that time is passing quickly, she’s invested several years in anticipation of a new life and true love in her elder years with Sumit. I think she is pushing it as now or never, shit or get off the pot situation.  If it works out, her dream comes true, if it fails, she goes home to her kids and grandkids and an empty future. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, iwasish said:

I think Sumit would have been happy to continue with the relationship over the phone and internet. He was satisfied with the fantasy “future” the two of the had created. I don’t think he ever really imagined they would get together. With Jenny, she is more aware that time is passing quickly, she’s invested several years in anticipation of a new life and true love in her elder years with Sumit. I think she is pushing it as now or never, shit or get off the pot situation.  If it works out, her dream comes true, if it fails, she goes home to her kids and grandkids and an empty future. 

That sounds so sad, though it's probably true.  Maybe she can find a nice guy in his 50s who has kept himself together?  There should be a lot of retirees in the desert?

She is generally ridiculous, but damn, she is 60 and has 6000...she deserves a win.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, RealReality said:

That sounds so sad, though it's probably true.  Maybe she can find a nice guy in his 50s who has kept himself together?  There should be a lot of retirees in the desert?

She is generally ridiculous, but damn, she is 60 and has 6000...she deserves a win.

I agree with this and with @iwasish - Sumit never thought it would get this far.  And now he is stuck.  I think she will bail out of India before he has to make a choice.  I mean, is she going to work?  Will she make friends?  Sitting in an apartment all day waiting for him to get home will lose it's luster pretty quickly.  

• Love 4

If she needed the money for the furniture I could understand, but why not just leave the furniture in the daughters guest room in case she came home to visit or for the daughter to use?  If money became an issue later the daughter could sell it and send her the funds. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree with this and with @iwasish - Sumit never thought it would get this far.  And now he is stuck.  I think she will bail out of India before he has to make a choice.  I mean, is she going to work?  Will she make friends?  Sitting in an apartment all day waiting for him to get home will lose it's luster pretty quickly.  

He works nights, probably sleeps during the day, or a good apart of it, what is she going to do the rest of the day? I figure she will have to find a job. The let down of what she thought her future was going to be and the reality is going to hit and she’s going to have to decide if being with Sumit is enough to satisfy her. 

• Love 1
(edited)

If she actually can get some Social Security, then she can pay for the apartment, and expenses with that.         When I rewatched the financial planner section, there were tons of cuts in that conversation.    She might have a lot more money than was shown on TV, and she could tap any retirement accounts, since she's over 59 1/2.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
(edited)

How is $350 rent considered to be expensive? What exactly are the wages like in India that could justify that being high rent?

Update: I used the google to do research on my questions. The average call center employee earns $6,704 in USD. That's $558 a month. Wowza, I now understand why Summeat is freaking out about rent.

Edited by Hannah94
Research
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

This apt. Is located where many of Sumit’s family’s friends and neighbors work. Has he started wearing the nose and glasses combo he’ll need to hide his identity? 

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, iwasish said:

This apt. Is located where many of Sumit’s family’s friends and neighbors work. Has he started wearing the nose and glasses combo he’ll need to hide his identity? 

"Who is this sumit you speak of...I already told you my name is mumit!"

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, iwasish said:

If someone can photoshop this.....please do!!!!!  🙂

• Love 3
On 6/18/2019 at 2:36 PM, iwasish said:

If she needed the money for the furniture I could understand, but why not just leave the furniture in the daughters guest room in case she came home to visit or for the daughter to use?  If money became an issue later the daughter could sell it and send her the funds. 

I think that guest room is nothing more than a cover for if/when his parents show up.  He can say Jenny sleeps in that room.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I think that guest room is nothing more than a cover for if/when his parents show up.  He can say Jenny sleeps in that room.

I'm sad for sumits parents that their son thinks they are morons.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

I'm sad for sumits parents that their son thinks they are morons.

Considering what his cover story is, they probably think he’s a moron. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5