Type keyword(s) to search

Jenny & Sumit: Slumdog Thousandaire

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I love how positive we all are....we are going to look really stupid in a couple of episodes LOL.  There HAS to be a catch otherwise they wouldn’t be on this show...the other shoe must drop right?

why hasn’t his family arranged a marriage yet if that’s how it’s done?  Especially after he brought her around the first time and they parents said no way?

I feel like something shady is definitely going on. It just isn't fathomable to me what a 60 year old and 30 year old can possibly have in common. I'm in the minority here - I do not have any kind of faith in this being legit.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, Hannah94 said:

I feel like something shady is definitely going on. It just isn't fathomable to me what a 60 year old and 30 year old can possibly have in common. I'm in the minority here - I do not have any kind of faith in this being legit.

Oh come to the Bright side for the remainder of the week!  It’s so rare that we have even the hint of possibility True Love.  Join us.  We have unicorn cupcakes and paleo snacks?

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Oh come to the Bright side for the remainder of the week!  It’s so rare that we have even the hint of possibility True Love.  Join us.  We have unicorn cupcakes and paleo snacks?

I loooove snowflake snacks!  I'll bring something gluten free and made with cauliflower flour!

I want to believe this relationship is real.  It'll be a shitshow because.... TLC.....but he really seems into her.  And he isn't even trying to be suave and good looking.  He isn't UGLY, but he isn't taking shirtless gym pics 

15 minutes ago, Hannah94 said:

It's like Benjamin Button.  She is pretty naive and childlike for 60 and he seems rather mature for 30.

They are meeting in the middle at 45

• Useful 2
  • LOL 10
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, RealReality said:

I loooove snowflake snacks!  I'll bring something gluten free and made with cauliflower flour!

I want to believe this relationship is real.  It'll be a shitshow because.... TLC.....but he really seems into her.  And he isn't even trying to be suave and good looking.  He isn't UGLY, but he isn't taking shirtless gym pics 

It's like Benjamin Button.  She is pretty naive and childlike for 60 and he seems rather mature for 30.

They are meeting in the middle at 45

Ok that meeting in the middle comment made me LOl for real.

And please bring something with grains, preferably wheat that is absolutely not paleo or gluten free.  My husband is a celiac on an anti inflammatory diet lol.  Gluten free paleo is a reality for me.  I need wheat and I need it bad.

• LOL 3
10 hours ago, RealReality said:

From want his friend in the blue jacket said it sounds like he'd have a wife. 

I must have missed it. What did blue jacket guy say?

7 hours ago, Hannah94 said:

You are not in the minority.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, greekmom said:

I must have missed it. What did blue jacket guy say?

I wish TLC would stop being weird about showing the episodes.  Blue jacket said that normally the parents in the village get together and work out the couplings.  The girl has to be younger than the guy and she has to be from the village.  He made it sound like a sure deal, and that's just the way it is.  

• Love 1

The only person that's ever lived off of $6000 was Tom Hanks in Castaway, and he only lasted a few years before he needed to get back to the US and bank some more FedEx money. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, Drogo said:

There is nothing about Jenny that makes me think she can have a functional relationship with anyone of any age from any country.

She legitimately went into a financial advisor's office to ask if she could live off of $6000.

LOL, this is a tough room!

I think it can be real AND dysfunctional. 

This is TLC!  

😞

5 minutes ago, Drogo said:

The only person that's ever lived off of $6000 was Tom Hanks in Castaway, and he only lasted a few years before he needed to get back to the US and bank some more FedEx money. 

If his volleyball had been named evelin he would have had to hit up an atm much sooner.

• LOL 11
  • Love 6

I fully went into this expecting a Michael/Angela or Azan/Nicole situation, and while Jenny may share Nicole's babyish worldview, Sumit actually seems...genuinely and endearingly into her? Moreso than any of the other couples. Watching him tear up about her leaving and how she'll adjust was downright moving. I thought it was just going to be another delusional cougar giddy about scoring dick half her age while the young playboy feeds her lies, but they seem to truly care about each other. Weird.

Of course, it will go up in flames anyway between the culture shock, Sumit's family's rejection, and Jenny seemingly having the emotional resilience of a newborn deer, but hey, I'm surprisingly rooting for them.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
(edited)
On 6/2/2019 at 4:51 AM, RealReality said:

Jenny's financial advisor went to wharton?  TLC franchises are on the come up!

I stopped the replay and saw that it’s not a diploma from Wharton. It’s some kind of certificate that mentions Merrill Lynch so maybe he went to something like a Wharton sponsored seminar. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 6/3/2019 at 11:17 AM, greekmom said:

I agree. She is ridiculous. The way she was reacting on obtaining her passport.  Holy moly! Has she even left the States at all? 

This one is another trainwreck and I honestly do not see the pull on his side. What's his gain? She doesn't have much money, she long in the tooth and not that bright.  If she was bringing him State side I can see that.  The advantage for him of her moving to India is?????

Ehhh he’s not exactly a prize.  He’s not gross but he’s kind of funny looking and has some messed up teeth.

I think he’s also suffering from low self esteem.  So, he probably thinks he’s punching above his weight with her.

• Love 3

I kind of like him.  I think she's a bit loopy.  When his friends told him his parents would never accept her he cried.  Real tears. 

I guess the saying 'love is blind' might fit in here. 

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

You've asked the right person.

Princess Toast is toast with jam, topped with cake frosting and decorative sprinkles.

If I didn't have diabetes already I would have gotten it from just reading about what princess toast is!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Ehhh he’s not exactly a prize.  He’s not gross but he’s kind of funny looking and has some messed up teeth.

I think he’s also suffering from low self esteem.  So, he probably thinks he’s punching above his weight with her.

Agree.   Also I get the feeling he wants more than his station in life will allow.   He’s hanging his star Jenny to obtain that.  I just don’t see him thinking it all through.  I do think he really cares about her.   That is genuine.   

• Love 5

I'm watching the rerun of the introductory two hour episode.    I think Jenny's wrinkled throat, and forehead is because she had a facelift.    If you don't get a throat lift, or a forehead lift, then those sections will look the same with wrinkles, but the central portion will look tighter, and unlined.      I had a co-worker that had a bunch of procedures, so that's exactly what she looked like before the forehead and throat procedures.    

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I think they genuinely love each other, but it's the kind of unrealistic love you have as a 13-year-old. It's all unicorns and rainbows and zero reality. They don't have a financial plan. They don't have a plan regarding his family. Who cares - love will conquer all!

I'm still rooting for them. I hope they get what they want. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

You've asked the right person.

Princess Toast is toast with jam, topped with cake frosting and decorative sprinkles.

Isn't that like a poor man's pop tart?

19 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:
  Reveal spoiler

Apparently these two have been in a relationship for seven years.

Thank you @Toaster Strudel. You are AWESOME.  While it doesn't explain the reasons they are together it does explain that TLC is yanking our chain.  I'm now thinking that she cannot afford the minimum earning amount for her to sponsor him.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, RealReality said:

If I didn't have diabetes already I would have gotten it from just reading about what princess toast is!

If you eat princess toast with rice a roni, it cancels the diabetes.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5

I think Jenny really does need a guardian..she is just not mentally capable at this point in her life, if she ever was. Something is just way off with the decisions that she is making right now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Jenny has such a wonderful family back at home...I even felt sad watching her saying goodbye to them. Sumit better get his butt over to that airport in next week's episode, or I'd be livid! I'm sure he does though, and TLC just likes to leave us hanging...nothing new. 😧 

• Love 1

The younger generation of India has about 2 ways to break away from traditional Indian lifestyle. 

(Arranged marriage, having kids.....that will eventually keep financially supporting the family....and, of course keeping the traditions)

Either seek a job overseas......which is in modern slavery countries.....such as Dubai, Qatar, etc.

Or, something better like  IT work in a country like America. 

(If, of course, they didn’t already study in western country)

I just think he doesn’t want a traditional Indian wife and life.....and, doesn’t want to be a bachelor, either.

Some think outside the box like Summit and find a Jenny.

Jennie’s are not that unusual in India.  They used to be an English colony so you see plenty of entrepreneurial Brits.  Especially, in places like Goa and South India.

I have known people that go and open dance studios and teach. They learn Indian dances and get all their costumes made, etc. For dance, India works well.

The problem is that Jenny is poor.......and, coming with no savings. 

India can be a great place to live ...........but you need to bring your own money. 

Wish them the best! Excited to see India on the show.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

People seem to forget that India has a HUGE gender imbalance. 

"Men outnumber women by 70 million in China and India." - Post Magazine

If you've ever made an account on the question and answer site Quora, which is like Yahoo Answers, if you are a woman, you will be inundated with messages from Indian men looking for love. It is so common, despite it not being a dating site, and writing "I'm married" as my bio does nothing to stop the messages. The guys are desperate and thanks to globalism, speak English.

Sumit is lonely and doesn't have a lot of romantic options. Jenny, as a broke, immature, elderly woman, definitely doesn't have romantic options. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 3
On 6/4/2019 at 6:33 PM, RealReality said:

It still doesn't explain why he wouldn't go to the United States instead, since he can speak the language well and has a for real skill set (no offense to Andrei and his handyman skills I have yet to see).  

If she works at a palm springs resort she should make decent money, and she has no children to support so why can't she sponsor him?

It's not even that expensive to live in the desert.  In Palm springs yes, surrounding desert.... no.

She lives in the guest bedroom in her daughter's apartment, which leads me to believe that she could not afford to support herself in her own place plus Sumit. I also think she wants out of her current life, and brining Sumit to the US would impose a whole new set of pressures, particularly financial.  I think she is runnng away, Him coming here wouldn't serve that purpose. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, poeticlicensed said:

She lives in the guest bedroom in her daughter's apartment, which leads me to believe that she could not afford to support herself in her own place plus Sumit. I also think she wants out of her current life, and brining Sumit to the US would impose a whole new set of pressures, particularly financial.  I think she is runnng away, Him coming here wouldn't serve that purpose. 

I think there would be a few rough months, but I think sumit could land a call center job and even if that was paying crap money, along with Jenny's income they should be able to afford to live reasonably in the desert.  

Palm springs is expensive, but the surrounding areas are pretty cheap.  

Given how inexpensive the area is, I wonder if Jenny couldn't afford her own place or was in between leases?  

I don't see how her current life is worse than what her life is going to be in India.  If she wants love and affection, she could have that here, with sumit.  He could probably get a decent dental plan and fix his teeth up and then she could really rub it in her friends faces.

I guess maybe the adventure of living in a foreign country with almost no money, no ability to speak the language, and no real marketable skills?  But I think that would get old quick.

• Love 2
On 6/9/2019 at 2:32 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm watching the rerun of the introductory two hour episode.    I think Jenny's wrinkled throat, and forehead is because she had a facelift.    If you don't get a throat lift, or a forehead lift, then those sections will look the same with wrinkles, but the central portion will look tighter, and unlined.      I had a co-worker that had a bunch of procedures, so that's exactly what she looked like before the forehead and throat procedures.    

I had never seen any variation of this show until I happened upon it the other night (I think it was Sunday) and I wandered over to this forum to read about Jenny.  Then today I wondered back, and I think the forum seems a bit different.  I read the post about it several times which I think helped, but I was so unfamiliar with the show that I was still a bit at sea.

I had seen a few ads for it, and my first thought was this was going to be a bit of a take off of the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel movie, but I guess that isn't it.  

I was thinking maybe she had botox.  If she had a face lift, that might explain why she only has $6k.  Part of her face does seem smooth, but she has developed jowls (such a funny word).  There was a photo of her at an angle where she looked okay, but I don't think her neck was showing.    In one of the talking heads she had on a more young looking outfit so if she were dressed that way, she might look youngish from a distance--especially with that straight blonde hair.  In another talking head, she had on a blue print (I think) and really did look her age.

I did see the episode last night ( I hate to think TLC has dragged me into the quicksand of another show) where she ends up in India.  So Sumit lied about himself, and she still wants to be with him.  I guess he has to stay in the same town/city because of his job location, but unless his parents are hermits, they will probably see him.  If not, I am sure some of the parents' friends will eventually run across him,  I did like the conversation with his friends--I really like the guy that  covered his face and said something like "that Jenny?" which made me wonder how many Jennys has Sumit known in this life.   He isn't that bad looking except for his teeth.  I thought the idea behind this show was people coming to the US so that left me a bit confused.  Actually, a lot confused.   If I were Jenny's daughters, I would make sure my own passports were up  to date, just in case of an SOS from mom.    I know his parents are of the generation of arranged marriages, but is that true for the younger ones?  It does look like his friends are both horrified and a bit in awe at the same time.

I understand she was there before so why does she not make sure her phone will work when she lands in India.  Also if I were meeting someone in a foreign country like India in those circumstances, I think I would have researched hotels and would have an idea of where to go if I am stood up by my "fiance."  

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Drogo said:

Suggestions for the name of this topic?  This cast is so boring/uninspiring.

*Leaning towards "Jenny & Sumit:  Call Center of My Universe"

Nothing with the Jenny 867-5309 song?

Or Don't Be Fooled by the Rocks I don't got.

Edited by Frozendiva
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Jenny's SS might not be much to live on here, but in India $1200 a month is probably a princely sum that she and Sumit could live on, if not luxuriously, at least comfortably. I am surprisingly unbothered by these two. If Jenny wants to go to India, well, so be it. If she and Sumit can wrest a few years' happiness together from the experience, I wish them well. Jenny seems to feel that its "my turn" and for better or worse they seem to genuinely care for one another.

• Love 3

Jenny may like the idea of living in India but the reality is not good, women do not have the same rights as we do in the US, that aside I would be nervous about the healthcare in India. The availability of medicines, getting my yearly mammogram, bone density or colonoscopy or any type of health maintainence we do here.  

I love an adventure, I love exploring other cultures but at this point in my life giving up any of the convieneces we have here in the US would not be negotiable...not for love nor money.  Call me spoiled or narrow minded but I like being able to communicate with the people around me, food shopping will not end in my accidently purchasing some part of an animal I would never eat, being able to drive and not get lost, not living with in laws, etc...but when I travel abroad I love it but I also love that I will be returning to my home/lifestyle.

Sumit must be some kind of amazing in bed for her to move to India.

• Love 4
(edited)

Twopper, welcome to our rabbit hole. The show Jenny and Sumit are on is "90 DF: the Other Way" and is about Americans moving to a foreign country to be with the "love of their lives." It's the latest offering in the 90 Day franchise which has up until now been about Americans bringing foreigners here on a K1 Visa and having 90 days to marry. There's ALWAYS some drama-culture shock, money problems, big age difference, criminal background, and family disapproval especially about the person only marrying for a green card. The Sunday night show is "Happily Ever After?" (with emphasis on the question mark) about the status of couples from previous seasons. Each show has its own forum and within it, each couple has a forum. 

Edited by magemaud

Jenny seems quite limited. It's a shame that a woman of her age  has so little and it's sad she's leaving the only security she has (her family) for some post mid-life crisis. 

I can't figure Sumit out so far. He doesn't seem like a bad or malicious person, but I can't figure out what it is he sees in Jenny. Maybe he's desperate for any female attention?  

• Love 2

I just realized this thread title is Slumdog Thousandaire.  I’m blind with hysteria.

while waiting for the other sandal to drop, I’m amused at the lengths that TLC will go to interjecting lighthearted Indian inspired music into their segments.  They do it for other couples too but this one makes me laugh.  It’s sooooooooo 90 day.

Maybe Sumit is playing the long con.  Still not sure what that means LOL.  Maybe she’s lying to him and presenting herself as someone who has more money than she does.  I don’t really want to think about this but she’s there for the ego trip and humping so she’s getting what she wants.  A little misrepresentation wouldn’t be out of the question.

He likes white women.  I mean I like Latin men but never have dated one....didn’t find a need to go find one in another country twice my age either.  I feel like I’m missing something!  Well maybe I’ll wait and see how this one ends....

• Love 4

@Drogo  I love the title!!! Excellent job!

What I find funny is that Summit wants to keep this from his parents.  Well mummy and daddy will find out somehow now that the show has aired.

I personally think it's a bunch of TLC bullcrap. As pointed out by TwirlyGirly, these two have been at it for 7 years.  

I just still don't get the attraction. I mean they have nothing in common.

• Love 2
Just now, TwirlyGirly said:
30 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Wasn't he John Smith/UK Fashion Model for the first few years? 

Michael Smith.

this-changes-everything-1.gif

Michael Smiths are far more reliable than John Smiths.  Just ask Pocahontas.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Her daughters are really pretty; like vintage 1940's pinup girls.  I'm sure Jenny was a dish in her day.  But not now.......I didn't understand what she was saying about visiting him before...she stayed with his parents?  and now they all hate her b/c she's Jenny and not some young pretty Indian girl that would give respect and grandchildren?

• Love 1
On 6/4/2019 at 3:33 PM, RealReality said:

I know I'm a sucker and I know I'm gonna be humiliated off this stage like showtime at the Apollo, but he really seems to be into her.  

I think he would have preferred Brittney Spears, but he likes blonde white women and this is the best it's gonna get!

It still doesn't explain why he wouldn't go to the United States instead, since he can speak the language well and has a for real skill set (no offense to Andrei and his handyman skills I have yet to see).  

If she works at a palm springs resort she should make decent money, and she has no children to support so why can't she sponsor him?

It's not even that expensive to live in the desert.  In Palm springs yes, surrounding desert.... no.

Brother Persnickety worked for a big resort in Death Valley, CA.

The pay was very average, but as a deterrent, the employees were provided free off-resort living quarters that were pretty decent.  I believe it included basic utilities as well.  

I'm wondering if whatever resort Jenny worked at had a similar set up, which might be why she is now living with her daughter.  Once she quit her job, she would have lost any employer-provided housing she may have had.  

I'm curious about what she did at the resort.  It could have been anything from working in the laundry room to holding a clerical or managerial position.  Her salary and subsequent 401K contributions could vary a great degree based on her income at the resort.  

(Brother Persnickety tried to get me to hire on at the resort where he worked...but Death Valley?  Hell to the no, thank you.)

• Love 4
On 6/8/2019 at 5:47 PM, Toaster Strudel said:
  Hide contents

Apparently these two have been in a relationship for seven years.

Spoiler

And if I heard and understood correctly, it's been five years since they last saw one another.

• Love 1