Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

“Nailed It” is less about baking and more about decorating. They even use pre-made rice crispies for some challenges. The task is just to cut out fondant and add icing. I have a friend who went to culinary school for baking and admits she couldn’t do most of these tasks.

Still really fun to watch!

• Love 2
On 11/28/2018 at 11:36 AM, Stowaway said:

Congrats on the book! I can't wait to buy it! Though I'm a little concerned that y'all are in a monkey's paw situation where you've been cursed to be connected professionally to this dumb show forever. . .

Considering recent news, I don't think my worries received enough attention at the time. 

I don't know what it says about me that during the discussion about Nailed It judges I had the thought, "But Jason Mantzoukas has a very serious egg allergy!" Like, how do I even know that? Does the internet get beamed directly into my brain while I sleep? But now that I've seen the episode, I know that this is fully addressed, and those were some crumbly eggless cakes.

• Love 1

I flove how everyone takes this with all the seriousness it deserves...

Total agreement with Dave on the Star Trek trio. And as a hirsute individual, I'm glad Dave didn't kill facial hair. But who would marry Jack Bauer (or probably fuck him)? Your odds of survival would be minimal!

And FYI Sarah - we are told in the ST-TNG Season 1 episode The Naked Now that Data is "fully functional" and "programmed in multiple techniques. A broad variety of pleasuring" (yes, that was really said on the air!)

• Love 2

I strongly disagree with Tara's choice in the Friends mom proposition. Judy Geller is the worst of the three, so judgemental, I'd kill her. And I would marry Morgan Fairchild's character: a rich romance writer? Who cares about faithfulness, think of the fun that would be!

• Love 2
21 hours ago, caitmcg said:

Gotta note that if you're married to Jack Bauer, you might end up dead, as Teri did at the end of Season 1.

Sleeping with him is just as bad. Kate Warner "just" suffered some light torturing in Season 2, Nina Myers AND Claudia Hernandez die in Season 3 after sleeping with Jack (Nina at Jack's hand!), Renee Walker died right after having sex with Jack in Season 7 and Audrey Heller-Boudreau is brain damaged in Season 6 and dies in Season 9. Sex with Jack is just not good for your health.

OTOH, killing Jack is probably only temporary (he's died at least twice onscreen) so you can probably kill him with a clear conscience on the understanding it will never stick. Might piss him off, though, unless it's a trick to help him disappear (like in Season 4).

• Love 1

For The Good Place, I would have married Tahani - she is certainly a lot, but she has an impeccable home, travels in style, and throws a tasteful party. Plus, she confirmed that Jason, due to his complete lack of awareness of his own ridiculousness, is quite good at sex. So that makes f-ing Mr. Mendoza the most reasonable option. (IMO, of course)

Poor Chidi, though.

Neither "Blink" nor "Midnight" are typical Dr Who episodes: "Blink" was written to give both series leads a break in the production schedule, and "Midnight" was from the following season, when they had a "Doctor heavy" episode followed by a "companion heavy" episode, so the actors could have their breaks in shifts. Which I'm only pointing out because it's interesting that EHG listeners clearly think the only way to sneak the show into the canon is by finding episodes that elide the shows core elements.

Anyway, "Midnight" is well loved by the "real" fans, but it contains my absolute biggest Dr Who pet peeve: a plot that hinges on someone who's known the Doctor for 42 minutes deciding to sacrifice themselves so he can live. It's nuts how often that happens.

I contemplated submitting the Dr Who episode Human Nature for the Canon, but again, you couldn't exactly say it was a standard episode, since the Doctor is human for most of it (it's... complicated). Though the story I'd really like to submit would be 1977's The Robots of Death from Old Who (because it's awesome!), but it's a 4 Part serial. I'm also slightly concerned that the awesomeness it holds in my memory will be spoilt by actually rewatching it!

Spoiler

Was that 2 consecutive victories for the Valued Guest? Though it's a little unfair this week as they had two people who could claim the title for them.

Yeah I totally called the unicorn on The Maaked singer is probably Tori Spelling. Other than that this doesn’t seem like a show I can watch every week. This should have been a summer show. Because it’s on Wednesday and I have other shows to watch.

I couldn’t get into the beach club show. It doesn’t have the same thing VPR has and it makes me sad how hard Lindsay is trying to be Lisa.

On Amazon, the episode before Midnight is "Forest of the Dead", the second episode of a two-part story. I'm surprised that Sara liked it, having not seen the first episode, but I do think that Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead combo would be a better choice for the canon than Midnight. Vincent & the Doctor and The Girl in the Fireplace are the only other two that I think would really stand a chance.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, April Bloodgate said:

On Amazon, the episode before Midnight is "Forest of the Dead", the second episode of a two-part story. I'm surprised that Sara liked it, having not seen the first episode, but I do think that Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead combo would be a better choice for the canon than Midnight.

Had the exactly same thought. Maybe Sarah just liked Seeing Dr. Elizabeth Corday steal the episode.

• Love 1

I'm sorry, are we just going to give a pass to someone portraying Woody Allen as a creep on Just Shoot Me in 1997? That is some "Simpson's Did It" level of precog on the part of the JSM writing staff. What did they already know?

3 hours ago, Cekrypton1 said:

I'm sorry, are we just going to give a pass to someone portraying Woody Allen as a creep on Just Shoot Me in 1997? That is some "Simpson's Did It" level of precog on the part of the JSM writing staff. What did they already know?

I think we've known Woody Allen is gross for a long time. The Soon Yi stuff happened in 1992.

18 hours ago, Stowaway said:
21 hours ago, Cekrypton1 said:

I think we've known Woody Allen is gross for a long time. The Soon Yi stuff happened in 1992.

Sure, but it's still pretty remarkable in 1997 for a network show to come out and state it so boldly. I mean, there are still big names today who are actively supporting/protecting him.

2 hours ago, Cekrypton1 said:

Sure, but it's still pretty remarkable in 1997 for a network show to come out and state it so boldly. I mean, there are still big names today who are actively supporting/protecting him.

I'm confused.  I read the plot description and thought the creepy Woody Allen in the Just Shoot Me is not the real one. 

Kat and Jocelyn were great guests - looking forward to tracking down their podcast.

Alyssa Sutherland (mentioned as appearing in an upcoming 'SVU') is not one of 'the' Sutherlands. She's an Australian model turned actress. I know this because she won a modelling comp for a teen magazine here and I was thrilled when a popular mean girl told me I looked like her. After reading the 'Vikings' forums, I see that her looks are pretty divisive so it was probably an insult!

Kat and Jocelyn were great guests - looking forward to tracking down their podcast.

Alyssa Sutherland (mentioned as appearing in an upcoming 'SVU') is not one of 'the' Sutherlands. She's an Australian model turned actress. I know this because she won a modelling comp for a teen magazine here and I was thrilled when a popular mean girl told me I looked like her. After reading the 'Vikings' forums, I see that her looks are pretty divisive so it was probably an insult!

I love their podcast. It's enjoyable for me even when I haven't seen the movie or occasional TV show. Be careful though. If you really, really, really love a movie and can't bear any criticism, skip it if you aren't sure you can appreciate it in a new light. They are fun to listen to but make keen observations.

Always assume it was meant as a compliment.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, LCanterbury said:

Ah! Sorry. I know about Sarah (Kiefer's daughter, of Veep), but I thought there was a Kiefer sister in the dynasty too. Apologies!

• Love 1

As one of your self-appointed EHG historians, I believe I can shed light on the confusion over the Dawson's Creek mugging episode. My memory is that it was first rejected on the grounds that it wasn't the absolute worst Dawson's Creek episode out there. But in a precedent-setting reversal, it was later decided that, just as canon episodes don't necessarily have to be the single best, nonacs don't have the burden of being the very worst. It was then retroactively given nonac status.

However! Dawson's Creek has no episode in the canon, and EHG historians continue to debate over whether "Downtown Crossing" should be stripped of its nonac status, on the grounds that Dawson's Creek at its best wasn't ever all that good (see the That 70s Show precedent).

As one of your self-appointed EHG historians, I believe I can shed light on the confusion over the Dawson's Creek mugging episode. My memory is that it was first rejected on the grounds that it wasn't the absolute worst Dawson's Creek episode out there. But in a precedent-setting reversal, it was later decided that, just as canon episodes don't necessarily have to be the single best, nonacs don't have the burden of being the very worst. It was then retroactively given nonac status.

However! Dawson's Creek has no episode in the canon, and EHG historians continue to debate over whether "Downtown Crossing" should be stripped of its nonac status, on the grounds that Dawson's Creek at its best wasn't ever all that good (see the That 70s Show precedent).

Impressive recap! The "not good enough for the canon" argument is what stops me from submitting Nonac episodes. I have in mind the absolutely ghastly Big Bang Theory episode where poor Regina King plays a human resource executive who must deal with Sheldon's "accidental" racism. But I doubt the panel would consider the sitcom good at any point so....

The hurdle for me, in trying High Maintenance, is that I feel about pot, pot culture, and pot humor, the same way T-bone feels about hippies. I hear from many it's good show, but I just can't make the first move due to the pot-ness of it all.

20 hours ago, Cekrypton1 said:

The hurdle for me, in trying High Maintenance, is that I feel about pot, pot culture, and pot humor, the same way T-bone feels about hippies.

In the same way Friday Night Lights wasn't REALLY about football, High Maintenance is really hardly about that at all. 

• Love 2

I understand and agree with everything Tara said about the Good Place but to me, plot and stakes are so not the point. It's whimsical and charming, it's like a glass of fruity white wine. It's not substential or important but it makes me very happy.
On the other hand, I disagree about Chidi and Eleanor, I love them as a couple. But then I already disagreed when Tara suggested that Jake and Amy weren't an interesting couple on Brooklyn 99, so we are both consistent.