Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 3/18/2019

Jaded
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Of course Sunny believes in psychics!  

I was actually surprised because it is against the Catholic religion. I was raised Catholic, and although I am not a religious person, I am weary of psychics, tarot cards, Ouija boards, and anything of that sort. 

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Blissfool said:
On 3/18/2019 at 11:05 AM, jumper sage said:

Of course Sunny believes in psychics!  

I was actually surprised because it is against the Catholic religion. I was raised Catholic, and although I am not a religious person, I am weary of psychics, tarot cards, Ouija boards, and anything of that sort. 

I was a devout/devoted Catholic from birth* to age 25.  We were definitely not allowed to participate in any of that mystical stuff (wasn't our religion enough?)--not even astrology!  My parish and my Catholic high school had a large Mexican-American population and many of the kids' mothers (especially grandmothers) believed in/practiced various types of superstitions and always had collections of unique little silver "milagros."  They were very devout Catholics.

*Don't know how devout I was as a baby/toddler.

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I was sort of surprised by Sunny’s belief in psychics, I was raised Catholic too and we were even warned to stay away from yoga! I say sort of surprised because Sunny does pick and choose. She’s pro gay rights, pro contraception (I think), open about her jealousy which is also a no-no, pro women’s rights and obviously champions women in leadership. She’s a la carte as one of the nuns at my school used to say. She can also be a bit naive and whimsical in general particularly about love and romance so it fits that she’d believe a psychic who told her what she wanted to hear, that she’d be married forever or something like that. It’s confusing I guess because she defends some of her views by saying it’s her religious beliefs and she must adhere to them but she’s more than capable of throwing out the beliefs she doesn’t care for. I like Sunny and think she’s a very smart lady when it comes to her job but that cognitive dissonance bugs me sometimes. Whoopi is too hard on her though and I hate when she is rude and dismissive towards Sunny and shuts her down. 

• Love 11
12 hours ago, merriebreeze said:

Whoopi has a thing against younger, smarter people (Beto, AOC). Insecure much? She has great name recognition, but considering her moderating skills, it's hard to believe that she's that valuable to the show. 

Thank you. I was trying to remember who the last person Whoopi seemed pissed about, that made no sense.  It was AOC. I'm sure there are others but AOC is who I was thinking of.  Whoopi much like her little princess is very insecure.  

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 10

I agree with Whoopie that Beto vowing to choose a woman as a running mate is condescending, however I'd like to ask her what she thinks of Corey Booker saying the exact same thing.  I mean it, I would seriously enjoy the word salad! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, SPinCA said:

I was sort of surprised by Sunny’s belief in psychics, I was raised Catholic too and we were even warned to stay away from yoga! I say sort of surprised because Sunny does pick and choose. She’s pro gay rights, pro contraception (I think), open about her jealousy which is also a no-no, pro women’s rights and obviously champions women in leadership. She’s a la carte as one of the nuns at my school used to say. She can also be a bit naive and whimsical in general particularly about love and romance so it fits that she’d believe a psychic who told her what she wanted to hear, that she’d be married forever or something like that. It’s confusing I guess because she defends some of her views by saying it’s her religious beliefs and she must adhere to them but she’s more than capable of throwing out the beliefs she doesn’t care for. I like Sunny and think she’s a very smart lady when it comes to her job but that cognitive dissonance bugs me sometimes. Whoopi is too hard on her though and I hate when she is rude and dismissive towards Sunny and shuts her down. 

Ah, the bible buffet if you will.

30 minutes ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Thank you. I was trying to remember who the last person Whoopi seemed pissed about, that made no sense.  It was AOC. I'm sure there are others but AOC is who I was thinking of.  Whoopi much like her little princess is very insecure.  

Add that to the fact that most Democrat presidents were younger than 54 at their first election.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
37 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Corey did say he didn't know if a woman would top the ticket or run for VP, but you know that nobody running right now is thinking second place for themselves.  I like Beto but think he's kind of an empty suit, all style and little substance (which is what Whoopi was trying to say).  Corey and Kamala seem much smarter.

Was it Whoopi who said do you want the most qualified candidate or do you want the candidate who can beat Trump and Joy said yes that candidate?  Hopefully the candidate will end up being both.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, SPinCA said:

She’s pro gay rights, pro contraception (I think), {snip}. She’s a la carte as one of the nuns at my school used to say. {snip} Whoopi is too hard on her though and I hate when she is rude and dismissive towards Sunny and shuts her down. 

I'm not so sure she supports contraception...definitely NOT for those in her kids' Catholic school.

Whoopi's jealousy is embarrassing.  She needs to use her "shut-down" time on her little princess.

SPinCA, decades ago I told my best friend a Cafeteria Catholic.  She was insulted then; she brags about it now.

• Love 6

Abby "If I Were Running As A Democrat I'd be Worried About Blah Blah" Huntsman is at it again.

Well, you're not running.

And you're not a Democrat - so no worries! 🙂

I chuckled when Meghan cut her off for going off topic.

And of course Donna Brazile would accept an offer to work at Fox. I'm doubtful anybody else would hire her given her track record.

• Love 20

Donna Brazile going to FoxNews is not going to change anything.   I like Donna and I really don't understand her reasons for going over to that network.  She is the embodiment of everything that they hate and fear..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, whydoiwatchtv said:

Ew, Whoopi coughed and the germaphobe in me made me cringe for all the ladies and especially Ahbby’s twins. Maybe unfounded, but you can’t reason with a germaphobe.

I assume that Whoopi and the show are being responsible and have ensured that whatever remaining remnants of sickness Whoopi is dealing with is not viral and easily transmitted to others because Abby's health during her pregnancy should be a higher priority than Whoopi being bored and needing to get out of the house. Though it's still gross to be close by to someone with a nasty cough even if not contagious. 

• Love 13

I really have not missed having to hear Whoopi's voice.  At all.  She's just back to being cranky & cantankerous about pretty much everything.  And so loud.  Like she's yelling.  We've already had a few "you knows" and a "here's the thing."  And when she completely forgot the topic that they were discussing last segment because the producers changed the graphic on them, yeah.  Back to being on top of her game, I see. 

Who here is waiting to hear the deets about Priyanka's wedding?  Anyone?  I think the 10,000 pics that flooded the internets during their month long, multiple ceremony wedding extravaganza was enough for me, but thanks anyways. 

Edited by Cementhead
because hear is not here and grammar matters.
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 17
4 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

It has really become annoying. Does she really think any Democrat running for office would take her advice?  I'm not sure any Republican running for office would take her advice.  Just because Daddy ran for office does not mean you know shit about running a campaign.  Meghan this applies to you too.

Yes, it's very annoying. She uses that line every time they're discussing politics. Like okay, Abby, we get it.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

Priyanka Chopra is a gorgeous and classy lady. 

She is gorgeous and Sunny was gushing over her. Megan looks uncomfortable around her. I think she is intimidated by her looks..

Priyanka would be wonderful in a marvel movie. If she was younger she would be perfect as Ms. Marvel..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5

Meghan doesn't like the word Failure, oh that's right she likes winners and losers.  

Does Meghan think she's the only person who's had an old parent? She constantly says "everyone knows  I hate age shaming " she has said  she doesn't believe in age shaming because of her father, huh? 

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 15

The Daughters continue to be full of shit. Why don't they want others to run against the man in the White House. Sure it could fail, but at least someone tried if y'all hate him so much. I caught Abby saying it would be nice to vote for someone without having to hold your nose while you did it so I know they both voted for the current leader of the country.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Why does Meghan always look like she's wearing my grandmother's sofa?

Because she's as big as a  . . . . . . . .never mind, too mean.  👿

I thought Ahbby looked very pretty today in the red dress, with her hair down. 

I don't remember what the rest of them wore, as the red dress and NutMeg's 1970 upholstery outfit drowned them out.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

To be fair, a lot of the A-list actors are not that great either...

She is just such a mediocre actress--not only in Hollywood, but Bollywood as well. Acting-wise, I don't see what's so great about her, other than her gorgeous hair and looks. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

She is just such a mediocre actress--not only in Hollywood, but Bollywood as well. Acting-wise, I don't see what's so great about her, other than her gorgeous hair and looks. 

Perhaps her beauty has blinded me to her deficiencies as an actress..lol

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Well, Whoopi at least shut down NutMeg when she said she comes to work every day in a place where her ideology is hated.  

NutMeg is still in the afterglow of Whoopi's return so didn't push back that time but she did a bit later in the program.

Not only was Nutmeg's dress atrocious (on her), she had trouble hoisting herself onto to her chair and then she adjusted her spanxy items after she sat down.

Has no one told her about the uniboob problem.  They should be dressing her in the style they are dressing Sunny.  Flowy wrap-style dress with a v-neck.

• Love 18
7 minutes ago, bannana said:

Well, Whoopi at least shut down NutMeg when she said she comes to work every day in a place where her ideology is hated.  

It was Megan playing the sympathy card. She got quite the tongue bath yesterday and wanted a repeat today.. She even looked at the audience hoping that they would clap , cheer and holler with love and support after she made her statement about being hated.. The audience remained dead silent..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • LOL 13
  • Love 10
14 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Perfect!  Love it.   And I wonder if she just got flummoxed and it came out that way, or if she's been mispronouncing that word all her life.

It’s not the word that would describe the balance calmness  and peace she says  she  feels even if vortex doesn’t exists.That expression  would be the power of suggestion wouldn’t it?  I missed how she pronounced it possibly reading cc.  I was scratching my head because  it just didn’t make sense.  Perhaps she’s was saying the stress she felt before being sucked into the vortex was psychosomatic? 

Edited by athousandclowns
Typo
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Whoopi the reason presidents live longer than people their age is because they have access to the best healthcare.

Did they accumulate enough insurance to pay for it?

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 21
  • Love 2

re: sunny/catholics/psychics/superstitions

I am mexican american so i grew up seeing this, so I find nothing strange about Sunny believing in psychics. As @HaaCHOO mentioned in her comment about mexican americans believing in other superstitions, I imagine that is the same for other latino catholics.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

Abby "If I Were Running As A Democrat I'd be Worried About Blah Blah" Huntsman is at it again.

Abby will never be running for president.  And she looks ridiculous with those white dots on the inner corners of her eyes.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
37 minutes ago, falltime said:

re: sunny/catholics/psychics/superstitions

I am mexican american so i grew up seeing this, so I find nothing strange about Sunny believing in psychics. As @HaaCHOO mentioned in her comment about mexican americans believing in other superstitions, I imagine that is the same for other latino catholics.

It is the same thing for Black people from Catholic countries as well. If anything Catholicism in Latin America and in the Caribbean were infused at times with African religions/spirituality that were brought via African slaves.  At times, Catholic Priests would give tacit approval of this syncretism that happened organically during the colonial period. Santeria in Cuba, Voodoo in Haiti and Candomble in Brazil are highly connected with Catholicism.  It does not surprise me at all that Sunny believes in psychics and mediums.. I find it to be very common in Catholics of color.  It is why I love Sunny, she is a complex person..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Useful 4
  • Love 13
16 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

It is the same thing for Black people from Catholic countries as well. If anything Catholicism in Latin America and in the Caribbean were infused at times with African religions/spirituality that were brought via African slaves.  At times, Catholic Priests would give tacit approval of this syncretism that happened organically during the colonial period. Santeria in Cuba, Voodoo in Haiti and Candomble in Brazil are highly connected with Catholicism.  It does not surprise me at all that Sunny believes in psychics and mediums.. I find it to be very common in Catholics of color.  It is why I love Sunny, she is a complex person..

@Apprentice79 You are one of my favourite posters because you have a special insight that is enlightening & I love learning something new.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, bannana said:

They should be dressing her in the style they are dressing Sunny.  Flowy wrap-style dress with a v-neck.

YAASASSSSSS! (pretending to be young and kewl).  I'm sure those styles have been suggested to her by more than us.  Also, never wear a belt.  I truly think her husband (no man tells her what to do...what to think) encourages her clothing selections.  He wants to see those "girls" front, center, and HIGH!  Disturbing.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, bannana said:

Not only was Nutmeg's dress atrocious (on her), she had trouble hoisting herself onto to her chair and then she adjusted her spanxy items after she sat down.

Why does an overweight person dress to look even more overweight?

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, OnTime said:

They say TV/film cameras add 10 lbs, but in MM's case they add 20 lbs since she doesn't look this huge in still photos from the show (unless they are photoshopped).

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, OnTime said:

I’ve been wondering why she’s always in something high waisted and tight emphasizing the girls and stomach.  It’s not a flattering look...agree should wear things that skim the top a bit more.  She did that one day recently and looked a lot better.  

• Love 8
20 hours ago, heysmilinstrange said:

Eh, if you're an English teacher you surely see worse grammar mistakes than that every day. I know I do!

Yes, me too. Still, it's especially irritating in a person of educational privilege. Still, I have a number of loved ones who might make that mistake.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Wasn’t she a Bollywood Star?

Yeah, but there are soooo many stars. I think I posted in the Small Talk or maybe it was one of the episode threads when she was on last, to show how she is just not as great as Madhuri Dixit, when it comes to Bollywood Dancing. In comparison, Priyanka is very stiff and doesn't look natural. And Madhuri could sweep the floor with Priyanka when it comes to talent. In Dancing AND Acting.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3