Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Aspyn's Royal Wedding

• Start Topic

I am kind of half assed rewatching this episode while multitasking and just needed to share: Ditto to everyone who said what an annoying nervous laugh she has!  I just watched the ceremony and it was awful to listen to that giggle and how she rushed through her vows, which really weren't all that serious until the last line.  i know she's young and I'm trying to cut her some slack but makes me wonder if she's even mature enough to be getting married.  I also think if Mitch decides he wants polygamy, she will have no choice but to go along with it.  I'm still not sure what I think of him.

• Love 6

I'm behind in watching episodes and just saw this one last night. I am surprised nobody else mentioned it, but when did Christine start using a toaster?? I remember years ago her making such a big deal about it being a serious fire hazard, and yet there she is, standing in her kitchen talking to one of the boys, making toast in a TOASTER!!

The whole time Aspyn was talking about wanting to elope, I couldn't help but wish still to this day, 20 years later, that I had eloped instead of having a wedding and reception. I hate attention and I consider my wedding day one of the worst days of my life, because everyone was looking at ME. I'm still married to the same great guy, and I fantasize about our wedding just being him and me, with an officiant. Call me crazy, but that's my dream wedding!

• Love 10
56 minutes ago, shoovenbooty said:

I'm behind in watching episodes and just saw this one last night. I am surprised nobody else mentioned it, but when did Christine start using a toaster?? I remember years ago her making such a big deal about it being a serious fire hazard, and yet there she is, standing in her kitchen talking to one of the boys, making toast in a TOASTER!!

The whole time Aspyn was talking about wanting to elope, I couldn't help but wish still to this day, 20 years later, that I had eloped instead of having a wedding and reception. I hate attention and I consider my wedding day one of the worst days of my life, because everyone was looking at ME. I'm still married to the same great guy, and I fantasize about our wedding just being him and me, with an officiant. Call me crazy, but that's my dream wedding!

I get what you're saying.  I hate cameras and attention, too.  I'm an introvert and too old to change.  Luckily, Mr. X lets me be me.  He's the extrovert that can talk to anyone about practically anything.

Christine evidently made peace with a toaster.  I didn't notice that!  She had a fear of microwaves as well. When Kootie took Christine and her kids to LV, prior to moving there, she wouldn't use the microwave in their hotel room.  I guess the built-in microwave in her McMansion forced her to face that phobia!

• Love 6

Okay, a few random thoughts:

- Kody was so inappropriate, it was ridiculous. It's a shame he doesn't drink. At least being plastered would have been an explanation for his behavior and remarks.

- Yeah, Truly's hair did look just like Daddy's. A rat's nest. Poor child. 

- After all the expense and planning, you might expect the bride to put a little effort and thought into her vows. What an embarrassing moment.

- I have little-to-no fashion sense. But even I was aghast at what the moms chose to wear.

- Why was the little sister carrying the train up the aisle during the processional? The whole idea of having such a gown is to watch the bride drag all that fabric up the aisle. Having an assistant lug the thing spoils the effect.

- The flower girls. Just as disorganized and clueless as any other Brown activity. Admittedly, they were cute, especially the one who threw her basket when she was out of flowers to toss.

- Um, why was the groom's mother out on the floor dancing all by herself? What an awkward set-up for the Kody/Hannah dance. The script writers were off their game that day, I suppose.

-Mitch obviously loves his new wife, but I get a distinct vibe that he doesn't care all that much for her parents. He's polite, but that's about it. 

• Love 12
On 3/22/2019 at 8:27 PM, giaNtsandYankees said:

David Jessop is simultaneously first and second cousin to Christine -first cousin through Christine’s father Rex Allred, a half-brother of David’s mother Mary Diane Allred; second  cousin through Christine’s ste-pgrandmother Ethel Jessop, a sister of David’s father Louis LaMar Jessop

I could read that paragraph 3,156 times and still not understand it.  Their fam'ly trees are covered with silly string.

• LOL 17
  • Love 1

I found Kooties father / daughter dance extremely weird & awkward too... wtf was he doing? Seems like kootie isn’t particularly close with his children ( well, except Sobyns) and the dance had no feeling of a father filled with the emotion  Of love pride & giving his daughter away to marriage  . And the bed comment 🤢 kootie is a WEIRDO

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, DNR said:

I found Kooties father / daughter dance extremely weird & awkward too... wtf was he doing? Seems like kootie isn’t particularly close with his children ( well, except Sobyns) and the dance had no feeling of a father filled with the emotion  Of love pride & giving his daughter away to marriage  . And the bed comment 🤢 kootie is a WEIRDO

In more ways than we lowly monogamists will ever understand.  Ugh!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, DNR said:

I give them a pass on the father-daughter dance. My father and I did not want to slow dance, we are close but just don't have that "Daddy's Little Girl" type of relationship - so we danced to a fast song, as did my husband and my mother-in-law. Less schmaltz, more fun!

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I give them a pass on the father-daughter dance. My father and I did not want to slow dance, we are close but just don't have that "Daddy's Little Girl" type of relationship - so we danced to a fast song, as did my husband and my mother-in-law. Less schmaltz, more fun!

I thought it was okay.  I have the impression --probably wrong--that Aspyn is closer to her dad than almost all the children except for Robyn's last two, because she was the first girl even though Mariah and Madison followed in quick succession.   I think all the rest of the kids except for Logan, Solomon, and the youngest girl are part of a lost tribe.  And to make it worse, three of them are referred to as triplets which is ridiculous.   Also by that loose definition of triplets, I think Aspyn, Mariah and Madison would also be considered triplets.  I grew up across the street from triplets--they shared the same set of parents.

Note to Christine about her use of the word triplets---I don't think that word means what you think it means.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

It seems to me that Logan is also a member of the "lost tribe", probably the leader.  He has boldly rejected Kody's principles at every level.  His seething resentment of Kody was evident in the episodes that highlighted the consumption of pork and the latest when he defiantly enjoyed an alcoholic beverage.  He openly lives with Michelle, contrary to Kody's "high standards" of appropriate pre-marital behavior.  He has taken an interest in body-building, rather than wrestling which was Kody's interpretation of a manly man, he also seems to have little to no interest in guns and camo gear, a role that Caleb enjoys with Kody.

• Love 21
1 minute ago, Sandy W said:

It seems to me that Logan is also a member of the "lost tribe", probably the leader.  He has boldly rejected Kody's principles at every level.  His seething resentment of Kody was evident in the episodes that highlighted the consumption of pork and the latest when he defiantly enjoyed an alcoholic beverage.  He openly lives with Michelle, contrary to Kody's "high standards" of appropriate pre-marital behavior.  He has taken an interest in body-building, rather than wrestling which was Kody's interpretation of a manly man, he also seems to have little to no interest in guns and camo gear, a role that Caleb enjoys with Kody.

I didn't mean that he and Kody were close.  More that Kody was just aware of his existence especially since it runs contrary to what he expects so in that sense I don't consider him lost.  Maybe that's the reason for the move to Flagstaff---Let's run away from the bad influence of Logan and Michelle.    Some of the wives drank wine at a restaurant a few years back so I am not sure that Kody is all that opposed to alcohol.  He was okay, I think, with beer and wine for the wedding, but not the hard stuff. 

This family has done nothing to make me supportive of polygamy.

• Love 3

Wow, Logan has made his own life which is great. He got away for all the crap that is Kody Brown.   Seems he rejected all of Kody's nonsense.  I really get the feeling none of the boys have any use for Kody.  Dayton may still be interested.

• Love 8
54 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Wow, Logan has made his own life which is great. He got away for all the crap that is Kody Brown.   Seems he rejected all of Kody's nonsense.  I really get the feeling none of the boys have any use for Kody.  Dayton may still be interested.

Only because Kootie favors Robyn's spawn over any of the others.  If Michelle and Logan stick to their guns and refuse to have their eventual wedding televised, I'll applaud them.  Michelle's parents would presumably pay, or help to pay, for the wedding (I say this because Mr. X and I paid the lion's share of our daughter's wedding, other families may differ,) so if Mr. and Ms. Michelle's parents don't want to be on TV (as I would not have,) that speaks to their normality vs the Brown Clowns wanting to make spectacles of themselves.  

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

If Michelle and Logan stick to their guns and refuse to have their eventual wedding televised, I'll applaud them.

And if they don't I will shove a dagger through my chest.

They are the only hope from this group of famewhore grifters so far.  We had hopes for many of the spawn but the girls were sucked in by the money.  My hopes lie with the boys ditching the circus and making it on their own.

Stick to your guns, Michelle and Logan.  Don't sink to the level of your parents and sisters.

• Love 15
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:35 PM, Gothish520 said:

I love my rings too. But my husband is even more attached to them than I am, lol. It bothers him that I take them off while at home - I know most people don't take theirs off, but I wash my hands frequently, clean and do other things around the house and I don't like to have them on while doing so. I have a ring holder on our entryway shelf, and that's where they go so I don't misplace them, and I can grab them and put them on as I leave the house.

I thought I was the only person in the world that does that! The first thing I do when I come home is take my rings off and put them on a glass ring holder on my kitchen island. I don't know why, I just don't like wearing them when I'm home. Probably because I am the dishwasher of the household. Regardless, I'm very aware of them and need to take them off. However, if I leave the house and forget to put them on, I'm equally aware and uncomfortable and have to go back and get them. I've always thought it was strange, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone! lol

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Teri313 said:

I thought I was the only person in the world that does that! The first thing I do when I come home is take my rings off and put them on a glass ring holder on my kitchen island. I don't know why, I just don't like wearing them when I'm home. Probably because I am the dishwasher of the household. Regardless, I'm very aware of them and need to take them off. However, if I leave the house and forget to put them on, I'm equally aware and uncomfortable and have to go back and get them. I've always thought it was strange, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone! lol

You are definitely not alone, that is 100% me too, lol!

4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I’ve been divorced since 2007, and still feel for my wedding ring now and then with my thumb. Strange, I know.

I could see that, we humans are creatures of habit.

• Love 5
On 3/26/2019 at 1:57 PM, B in Lee said:

- The flower girls. Just as disorganized and clueless as any other Brown activity. Admittedly, they were cute, especially the one who threw her basket when she was out of flowers to toss.

Cut the flower girls some slack. Have you ever tried to organize young children--especially that many --to be part of a wedding party? They looked like every other group of flower girls I've ever seen.

• Love 6
On 3/27/2019 at 10:57 AM, FreemefromTV said:

This!!! I have really enjoyed watching Logan become his own man and seemingly reject Kody at almost every point. I LOVE that Logan and Michelle have said they will not allow cameras at their wedding, they do not want children and in general seem to see the value in working! 

Logan basically raised his siblings until he left home. I’m all for older kids helping out but the scenes when they were in Utah with Logan cooking breakfast and getting everyone ready for school made me really sad for him. I’m glad he’s getting his MBA, working and by the looks of it has a wonderful fiancé. 

Logan's adult responsibilities, while being a child, enrage me. I think the Brown weddings are boring and Aspen was difficult to watch (and hear). Logan and Michelle's wedding would be the only one of interest for me because they seem to be mutually in love and committed to each other. Part of me wants them to change their minds about not having kids. Logan would kick ass as a father and show Kody how a REAL MAN does marriage and fatherhood. But Logan and Michelle have my respect, whatever path they take. Unfortunately, I think Aspen will raise her kids much like her mother, unless Mitch turns out to be a wholly different type of man than Kody. Jury's still out on Mitch; we haven't seen much of him. He does seem underwhelmed by the whole TLC production and as someone above mentioned, merely tolerating the Brown Clowns. 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, deirdra said:

Logan has parented more hours and more children than the vast majority of fathers do in their lifetimes, so not wanting to have children is understandable.

My mom was the oldest of 7 and had to watch her younger siblings the majority of the time because my grandma was a single mom and had to work 2-3 jobs. My mom never wanted more than one child and that's what she got - just me (but of course, she got THE BEST ONE CHILD so she was fulfilled : ) 

• LOL 13
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, llewis823 said:

My mom was the oldest of 7 and had to watch her younger siblings the majority of the time because my grandma was a single mom and had to work 2-3 jobs. My mom never wanted more than one child and that's what she got - just me (but of course, she got THE BEST ONE CHILD so she was fulfilled : ) 

I'm the younger of 2 kids, and only babysat occasionally.  I still only wanted one child, and like your mom, I got the best one!  My daughter is not going to have any.  She's happy with just her husband, and no sister wives, LOL.  Here's hoping Aspyn will stay monogamist despite her upbringing and that of Mitch.

• Love 5
On 3/20/2019 at 2:37 PM, Kyanight said:

Well if anyone is looking at me and wondering, I would MUCH rather be alone than be with a dick of a husband.   Sometimes I see married people in public who can hardly seem to stand each other and I wonder why they stay together.  I guess we all wonder, lol.

A little late to the discussion but I agree - I am happily remarried but if I were not I would be fine alone.  I would need a healthy social life of female friends (which I currently have) as I do like going out and talking, window shopping, etc.  

Per Robin - she loves loves LOVES the status of being the legal wife.  If Kody were to drop dead tomorrow she could draw on his social security and be under no obligation to share.  And I bet she wouldn't share a dime.  Lots of benefits to being the legal wife.

• Love 7
On 3/27/2019 at 1:27 AM, Gothish520 said:

I get what you’re saying , my daughter in law and her dad did a fast dance too . I meant that weird bending , contorting & dance moves - everything Kootie does is just bizarro world 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

A little late to the discussion but I agree - I am happily remarried but if I were not I would be fine alone.  I would need a healthy social life of female friends (which I currently have) as I do like going out and talking, window shopping, etc.  

Per Robin - she loves loves LOVES the status of being the legal wife.  If Kody were to drop dead tomorrow she could draw on his social security and be under no obligation to share.  And I bet she wouldn't share a dime.  Lots of benefits to being the legal wife.

Meri would get part of that to.    

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Meri would get part of that to.    

How would SS death benefits work for the kids if Kody died?  Would only Robyn’s under 18 be eligible, or would all the younger ones be eligible?

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

On paper?  Do we know that?

I don’t think it has to be on paper, necessarily? I think if one needed to prove it other means could be used, such as the show and the book they wrote. I am not sure though, someone correct me if I ‘m wrong.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Adiba said:

I don’t think it has to be on paper, necessarily? I think if one needed to prove it other means could be used, such as the show and the book they wrote. I am not sure though, someone correct me if I ‘m wrong.

If my 3 minutes of research is correct, illegitimate minor or disabled children acknowledged as offspring of a deceased parent are eligible for Social Security.  However, there's the whole issue of "family maximum" to consider.  And there's normally only ONE surviving spouse per family.  However, any ex-spouse who was married to the deceased for at least 10 years is also eligible. 

So Robyn is covered, any kids under 18 (including Robyn's kids who were adopted by Kody) are covered until they reach 18 or 19 and finish secondary school.  If she has Day-un declared disabled, his survivor benefit would continue forever.  But then HE would decrease what she gets.  AND Meri could also choose to be covered, IF Kody's social security is higher than what she would get from SS based on her own employment records.  Janelle and Christine would get nothing.

At least they wouldn't be bleeding the beast by all getting maximum benefits.  The Browns would only get as much as any plain old monogamist would get if the head of household dies.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

If my 3 minutes of research is correct, illegitimate minor or disabled children acknowledged as offspring of a deceased parent are eligible for Social Security.  However, there's the whole issue of "family maximum" to consider.  And there's normally only ONE surviving spouse per family.  However, any ex-spouse who was married to the deceased for at least 10 years is also eligible. 

So Robyn is covered, any kids under 18 (including Robyn's kids who were adopted by Kody) are covered until they reach 18 or 19 and finish secondary school.  If she has Day-un declared disabled, his survivor benefit would continue forever.  But then HE would decrease what she gets.  AND Meri could also choose to be covered, IF Kody's social security is higher than what she would get from SS based on her own employment records.  Janelle and Christine would get nothing.

At least they wouldn't be bleeding the beast by all getting maximum benefits.  The Browns would only get as much as any plain old monogamist would get if the head of household dies.

I am with @AZChristian on this one, as I have been researching SS benefits as of late (I have an ex husband of over ten years, I was curious if he draws on me will that decrease my benefits.  It won't.)

As long as Kody is on the birth certificate or adoption papers as the legal father, they can draw on survivor benefits until they are 18.  If Jenelle and Christine were never legally married to Kody (it is my understanding they were not) they will receive NADA.  That is why, as someone was was legally married, was legally married to the dad at the time of my kids births, then divorced from him, then remarried legally married AGAIN.....it is astounds me that people say it is "just a piece of paper".....cause it is NOT just a piece of paper!

That is why when I hear about women having baby after baby with men without marriage it makes me.....I don't know.....nervous?  And for the record, I am FAR from Connie Conservative....far from it, lol.  I just want women to be protected.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

reach 18 or 19 and finish secondary school

It's reaching 18.  I had a coworker who thought it was until you graduated from high school.  She had to pay back 8 months of payments because she turned 18 before graduation.  It took her several years 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

It's reaching 18.  I had a coworker who thought it was until you graduated from high school.  She had to pay back 8 months of payments because she turned 18 before graduation.  It took her several years 

To piggyback off that - many people think child support ends when the child turns 18 - it does not, at least in MN.  It keeps going until child graduates from high school (or joins the military or gets married.)  My son turned 18 in September but ex was not off the hook till June.

(PS  - I was so relieved then my younger son turned 18 - meant I never had to breathe the same air as him again.  Did not/Do not hate him - I was just glad I didn't have to speak to him, lol.  I wanted him to get a job in say, Greenland, but nope, he is staying put.)  

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Kootie often appears to be involved in nefarious business activities.  SS only accrues from employment income (including self-employment) on which SS premiums have been paid, and he (or his survivors) will only get the maximum SS benefit if he earned the maximum taxable earnings for at least 35 years of his working life. And if he dies before Robyn or Meri are 65, their payments would be less if they start collecting it early. Did Robyn stay with David for 10 years? If so, she could collect his SS too (up to the maximum).  Investment income from "investments" with "myfriendBrian" would not earn SS credits.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

To piggyback off that - many people think child support ends when the child turns 18 - it does not, at least in MN.  It keeps going until child graduates from high school (or joins the military or gets married.)  My son turned 18 in September but ex was not off the hook till June.

(PS  - I was so relieved then my younger son turned 8 - meant I never had to breathe the same air as him again.  Did not/Do not hate him - I was just glad I didn't have to speak to him, lol.  I wanted him to get a job in say, Greenland, but nope, he is staying put.)  

True.  I had a cousin who paid the full amount until his youngest of three finished college.  

5 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Maybe she didn't notify them in accordance with the requirment.  According to this (clipped directly from the Social Security website), that shouldn't have happened.

Capture.JPG

• Love 2

Here in Wisconsin, it’s 18 or high school graduation, whichever is later.  Hubby pays it....divorce decree says it stops at 18.  It did (this past December) but the state mailed BM a letter allowing her to extend till graduation, which is next month. 

We checked with our attorney and state law trumps divorce decree.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, AZChristian said:

But then HE would decrease what she gets. 

Dayton receiving benefits would not decrease Robyn's check.  It doesn't seem likely Dayton would qualify for disability especially since to receive as disabled adult child the disability would have had to have been established before he turned 18.  The family maximum is for very large families.  I can't remember now the number of dependents, but it's around six or eight children IIRC.  I only had one family of the deceased hit the family maximum in all the years I worked for SSA processing claims.  There were 10 or 12 children.  Acknowledgement does not have to be in writing though written documents are definitely preferred.  In the old days when report cards were signed and returned, signing a report card was enough.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

New to forum and this comment is definitely off topic now, but do you think the change in Meri’s eyebrow makeup is due to Mariah’s critique of a few season’s back? Mariah mentioned she thought Meri’s eyebrows were over plucked or unnaturally thin, so Meri and Janelle did a prank of comically over accentuating them. But, now, I’ve noticed that Meri’s look is much darker, thicker, and more like Mariah’s style. I agree that it’s not the most flattering look on her.

• Love 6
On 3/19/2019 at 2:33 PM, Joan of Argh said:

Lololol!!!!!  when I cropped it I purposely left Janelle in the pic with her big gappy toothed grin.

She's loving Meri standing there in that gawd awful hat looking like an idiot for TV. 😂

Hasn't Janelle ever heard of dental floss? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Hasn't Janelle ever heard of dental floss? 

I know, in close-up her gums look inflamed and even swollen in some pics.

So crazy because even if you hate flossing you could still use a Waterpik and have healthy gums and clean teeth.

I guess her plate is full ordering 50 lb sacks of mint tea.  😂

• LOL 3
7 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I know, in close-up her gums look inflamed and even swollen in some pics.

So crazy because even if you hate flossing you could still use a Waterpik and have healthy gums and clean teeth.

I guess her plate is full ordering 50 lb sacks of mint tea.  😂

In that pic it looks like there’s bits of food stuck in between her teeth. Ick.

• Love 4
On 4/7/2019 at 7:29 PM, Meowwww said:

Here in Wisconsin, it’s 18 or high school graduation, whichever is later.  Hubby pays it....divorce decree says it stops at 18.  It did (this past December) but the state mailed BM a letter allowing her to extend till graduation, which is next month. 

We checked with our attorney and state law trumps divorce decree.  

Yup. Michigan, too. I always imagined my son's absentee father's face when he found out that with our son's December birthday, and the advent of pre-kindergarten, meant that he was stuck paying until our son was 19 (which was when he graduated). Sucks to be you, dickweed. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 4/2/2019 at 6:07 PM, deirdra said:

Logan has parented more hours and more children than the vast majority of fathers do in their lifetimes, so not wanting to have children is understandable.

In comparing Logan to another older sibling of a TLC family, Jana Duggar.  Not married, seems in no hurry to do so. You wonder if the years of being the "responsible parent" to her younger siblings, because her mother was only able to provide the uterus, not the nurturing, is making her put on the brakes and say, "no thanks." 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

In that pic it looks like there’s bits of food stuck in between her teeth. Ick.

Yup, some of her close-up pics are gross.

I've noticed several Brown's have bad dental hygiene and the way they prefer running to quacks over going to conventional medical doctors makes me wonder if they're the same with dentists.

I find it shocking that Solomons baby teeth rotted out of his head... how is that even possible nowadays?

Was he left on his own when it came to brushing etc?

• Love 6