Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

S08.E07: Episode 7

Sister Frances panics when Mother Mildred insists that she attend her first solo birth before Nurse Crane returns, and Trixie treats a pregnant woman who discovers that she has gonorrhoea, a condition that could have serious implications for the health of her baby. The Turners try to persuade Violet to approve the formation of a Brook Advisory Centre, and Lucille looks forward to a second date with Cyril.

Airs February 24, 2019.

That was a tough watch. Poor Valerie. In hindsight, it seems obvious why they introduced Valerie's kindly grandmother. It is so difficult because I do believe she thinks she is helping these women. She doesn't see what happens to the women after and it probably wasn't talked about. She has killed women through. She has to be stopped. I feel so sorry for Valerie. She has some difficult choices to make.

• Like 3

Well, I said it before - they're not throwing any punches with this plot and good for them. I dreaded something like this when gran with all her street-smart wisdom popped up last week. It was hard to watch but kudos all around - everyone brought their A-game: Val's horror as she started to realize the full impact of what she was seeing and her struggle to find composure while Trixie (more experience and no personal connection of course) managed to switch to emergency mode in the blink of an eye. That was really stellar acting and writing - as was gran's defiance in that last confrontation with the grand-daughter she clearly loved and who had become everything she had wanted to but wasn't allowed. So she followed her dream in her own way with all the horrifying consequences that entailed. 

As usual the episode was a bit too busy. I would have kept the Brooks Advisory Center plot as it was relevant to the A-plot. And Sister Frances first solo birth could have stayed too since we needed a bit of light (well until the postnatal depression set in I guess). Mother Mildred was great throughout and I hope we'll see her again some day. But they could have ditched the STD/sexual addiction plot. 

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 1

Very powerful and moving. I loved the episode, and great work from everyone. The hard realities were not whitewashed and no tidy solution was presented. Valerie was wonderful and so was Gran.

I would like to see more of Sister Hilda. She intrigues me. 

Sister Frances baptism by fire proved to be a bit anticlimactic. What happened to going on your hands and knees to back in bed spit spot and here comes baby? The difficult birth just suddenly got easy. Weird. 

I was surprised about the gran, I didn't connect the two stories at all, though in hindsight with what else we learned about her in the episode it made sense. The confrontation between Val and Gran was well done and well acted. I also liked the Gran and Sr Julianne's talk.

I agree that there was maybe a bit to much going on, I was glad to see Sr Francis get a win, but yeah lot of side plots, including more build up on Mai leaving. Next week seems like there'll be a lot heartbreak, hopefully they'll have something light to balance it out.

My biggest issue with this show is it can forget the light moments.  Last season for me was a struggle because I found the whole of it so dark.  This season has had terribly dark stories but they have had a lot of fun to balance them out.   

I started getting suspicious when they were so direct about what kind of infection Valarie's grandmother had.   I knew there was too much focus there.   But this has been building all season and while lots of times plots come out of thin air but this one really has been built to.

I'm going to be sad for the Turners to give up Mai but with all the focus on how Angela's going to handle it I'm more worried about Mai.   

• Like 1

Regarding Mai, I don't believe we'll have a resolution of her story in the finale.  I noticed that 

Spoiler

Max MacMillan, who plays Timothy Turner, is not in the cast list for the finale, and I can't imagine them doing a scene where Mai gets to stay permanently with the Turners that doesn't feature the entire family.  Or one where she leaves either.  

Grandma's the abortionist!  Well, that wasn't what I expected when we started this season!  I really liked that neither Val or her grandmother backed down from their opinions.  But, Val kinda killed me standing outside trying to come to terms with the truth.  I didn't realize Trixie would be there, so I liked that she was a steady influence…keeping the young girl calm & Val on task.  I'm pretty excited for next week's finale, their convo should be quite good.

Poor clap lady.  Felt for her & even for her hubby.  We don't often get updates with the moms in later episodes, but I wouldn't mind seeing a hint that therapy helped them.

And yay for Sister Frances!  Definitely a small, but welcome, bright spot with Mother Mildred easing her baby bird out of the nest.  I didn't mind that the birth went from "Uh-oh" to "All's well", because sometimes that's how it works.  The change of position could have been enough to shift baby into a better birthing position.  Which I think was the intention--to show Sister Frances that she had the knowledge & skill to be successful, which just needed the confidence.  Reminds me of a bit Chummy's first delivery with the bride's mom in Season 1.

I don't know why everybody talks about a suddenly easy birth in Sister Frances plot - have you guys seen the ginormous scissor she was wielding (not for the umbelical cord) ?!? I have to cross my legs just thinking about it 😲

Edited by MissLucas
  • Laugh 2

On 2/28/2019 at 10:55 AM, MissLucas said:

I don't know why everybody talks about a suddenly easy birth in Sister Frances plot - have you guys seen the ginormous scissor she was wielding (not for the umbelical cord) ?!? I have to cross my legs just thinking about it 😲

Better to get snipped by the ginormous scissor though than to tear a ginormous amount.    

4 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Better to get snipped by the ginormous scissor though than to tear a ginormous amount.    

True but not a rousing endorsement for giving birth 😉

• Like 2

I remember last season when they had the woman with the phobia of child birth. Every time they show another difficult birth i wonder why they don't have more patients with that issue. Even the so called straightforward births look horrifying to me.