Type keyword(s) to search

Frozen 2 (2019)

JessePinkman
  • Start Topic

I'm sure it will be great -- great new songs, more heartwarming scenes, etc. -- but it seems almost sacrilege to sequel-fy this.

They wouldn't have Snow White 2 or sequels to the other Disney classics.

I guess the money is too tempting.  Sure little girls will love that there will be sequel(s) but maybe as they grow up, they'll learn about cynicism?

• Love 2

I'm confused by the trailer and can't tell at all what was going on.  Elsa is determined to conquer her fear of the ocean because of what happened to her parents?  And it's fall and they're in a forest?  

When the first movie came out I always thought it would be fun if Anna somehow developed fire powers.  

• Love 2

I recall hearing that they were doing a sequel about a year ago which, really, didn't surprise me given how big Frozen actually was. This is a good teaser. I'm interested. I'm into it. 

I think my favorite thing so far is the comments being made that tie Frozen into other Disney movies. 'Isn't that the rock Ariel sang on?' 'Are they going to look for their brother, Tarzan?' I get a kick out of those. But I am curious... I like the look of it.

Although that sounded very Moana at the end there, didn't it?

• Love 1

That was not what I expected and I am intrigued. And here I thought there might be one Disney movie this year that I don’t need to see in the theater. Nice job, Disney. I am going to see more movies in the theater this year than I have in the last decade. 

This looks surprisingly epic, I am pretty pumped. Frozen is a solid one shot story, and sequels have a long history of sucking, but this does look really cool. Damn it Disney, just take all my money!

I wonder if the woman we see is really quickly with the leaf pile has some kind of weather power as well, like she has wind powers or something. Or, there seemed to be a lot of fall imagery in the teaser, maybe Elsa is a winter person, and this woman is the fall person, and there are four people who represent the four seasons? Like seasonally based Planeteers!

• Love 3

Well, as someone who felt the first Frozen was overrated, I thought that teaser was amazing! I have no idea what the plot might be, and yet it felt epic and eerie and beautiful (all those autumnal colours). These days trailers can be mini-versions of the entire movie, so it's nice to have some actual ambiguity for a change.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Had no idea they were making a sequel. I'd like the movie to actually focus more on Elsa than Ana, since the last one centered on Ana but, that might just be me.

Agreed. I understand the reasons for why the first movie centered on Anna given what the original story was. But as much as I enjoy Anna she's a typical Disney princess, while Elsa is quite a departure, and I think that's part of why Frozen was and remains so popular. Elsa's relatable in a different way, since she's struggling with fears just as so many people do.

I'm sure Frozen 2 will focus at least as much on Elsa as Anna, simply because there's just a lot more for the writers to mine with her. I always find Elsa heartbreaking, even in a silly short like Olaf's Frozen Adventure.

I'm ridiculously excited by this trailer!

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I saw the link to this on the side of the board. Had no idea a sequel is coming. Watched the trailer and am intrigued. Even if I am FAR too old to be watching this. And have no kids to use as an excuse. LOL!

Neither do I and that doesn't stop me

11 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Agreed. I understand the reasons for why the first movie centered on Anna given what the original story was. But as much as I enjoy Anna she's a typical Disney princess, while Elsa is quite a departure, and I think that's part of why Frozen was and remains so popular. Elsa's relatable in a different way, since she's struggling with fears just as so many people do.

I'm sure Frozen 2 will focus at least as much on Elsa as Anna, simply because there's just a lot more for the writers to mine with her. I always find Elsa heartbreaking, even in a silly short like Olaf's Frozen Adventure.

I'm ridiculously excited by this trailer!

I have the vain hope that at some point in this movie, Elsa will finally stop blaming herself for her parents' shittiness, or at least Anna tell her that they were wrong. 

• Love 3

I expect us to be in the theater on opening night with my daughter wearing one of her many Disney princess costumes (not my fault, idiot relatives keep buying them as gifts, or give her Disney gift cards which she then spends on costumes). And I fully expect to hear the songs on Youtube and to get this movie on DVD/BluRay after which I expect it to be on every fucking day and for my daughter to be singing the songs every fucking day and for me to want to get earplugs just so I don't have to hear the songs over and over and over and over again.

I remain scarred from the first movie, can you tell?

ETA: Hopefully my daughter has outgrown the need to own every single piece of merchandise with Elsa's face plastered on it. I feel like we only recently got rid of all the merchandise crap from the first movie.

Edited by Minneapple
  • LOL 5
On 2/14/2019 at 6:39 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I have the vain hope that at some point in this movie, Elsa will finally stop blaming herself for her parents' shittiness, or at least Anna tell her that they were wrong. 

I really liked Once Upon a Time’s Elsa story - it did a nice job of digging into Elsa’s insecurities and struggles and let her finally attain peace and confidence. I also liked Anna briefly getting to point out the hurt that she went through too, even if she was under the influence of the mirror at the time - the adult her understands and when not mirror-influenced has compassion, but somewhere inside is still the kid sister who was abruptly iced out and repeatedly rejected without knowing why, which is what made her a perfect target for Hans. Ugh, their parents! And Georgina Haig was a perfect Elsa.

I’m quite eager to see what the film sequel does with this! Writers, don’t fuck it up! If OUAT with all its many flaws could deliver a good Elsa story, the original team certainly can.

• Love 6
On 2/13/2019 at 11:59 AM, scrb said:

OH? They were called "cheapquels" and were mostly Direct to video. There was no "Snow White 2" ('though it was in development), but pretty much everything else had a DTV sequel, or prequel or midquel (Beauty and the Beast 2). Two or three of them had a nominal theatrical release, although the first one, The Rescuers Down Under, was a major release (and Disney's last animated flop for years), the rest was done by the "Movietoons" unit in Australia, and were really, really bad.

Then there was the "Saturday morning" stuff, some of it was decent in comparison to everyone else, some wasn't.

So yeah, they would and did.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Notwisconsin said:

OH? They were called "cheapquels" and were mostly Direct to video. There was no "Snow White 2" ('though it was in development), but pretty much everything else had a DTV sequel, or prequel or midquel (Beauty and the Beast 2). Two or three of them had a nominal theatrical release, although the first one, The Rescuers Down Under, was a major release (and Disney's last animated flop for years), the rest was done by the "Movietoons" unit in Australia, and were really, really bad.

Then there was the "Saturday morning" stuff, some of it was decent in comparison to everyone else, some wasn't.

So yeah, they would and did.

I was going to write something similar. I had never heard the term "cheapquels" before. The only ones I watched were the ones for Aladdin and I enjoyed those. I skipped the rest. I did enjoy the animated series for Timon and PumbaAladdin, and Hercules.  

• Love 2

I feel like I'm the only Disney fan not going gaga over the first teaser. And look the animation looks wonderful but I dunno maybe it's my bias of thinking the story doesn't need a sequel combined with the fact that in retrospect I don't find Frozen totally amazing. I admit when I first saw it I was blown away and swept up in the whole musical aspect which has been missing for a long time from the Disney canon but with regular watching I realise the songs aren't as seamless as say Menken's early works and I will always view the Hans twist as lazy shock writing and it will never sit comfortably with me. So maybe I;m just jaded.

I'm hoping this sequel isn't as serious as the trailer implies it is. One of the things I do enjoy about the original Frozen is the humour (well maybe not Olaf's humour). The original one was 'epic' in scale but this one seems to be going overboard with the epicness.

And everytime I see those Autumn leaves move I have two thoughts 1) Is Pocahontas making an appearance and 2) Are they setting up for their to be 2 more sequels to cover Spring and Summer. This second one leads me to think Is Disney finally realising their TinkerBell movie plans where each one was meant to cover a particular season.

I hope I get less jaded by the time of the release.

I'm torn because even though Disney has bought so many properties (Marvel, Star Wars, etc.) I still feel like they want that male demographic. They WANT it. There were "action" setpieces in Moana but to me, this feels more like the video game aesthetic that I first picked up on in Tangled. I resent the idea that a movie can't be too feminine or "princessy" without risking turning off male audience members. 

I'm also incredibly concerned about how they're going to tie up everything that was a little messy about the original movie. No doubt there will be some people who are disappointed regardless of what the movie is like because you can't be all things to all people. But I hope they spent a TON of time on the script for this one. 

The one thing I really liked about this trailer is I think this is one of the few times we've seen a non-evil magical character in a Disney movie have fun with it. Like, if you're going to introduce a magical character, don't hold back. Have her use that magic. Even the evil characters don't get to have that much fun. Ursula was a pretty low-stakes magic user until the end (it was largely disguises/transformations) and so was the Evil Queen in Snow White. Maleficent might be the only one who really does some magic. Maybe also Cinderella's fairygodmother and Lady Tremaine if you count Cinderella III, speaking of straight to DVD sequels.

• Love 2
On 2/13/2019 at 11:59 AM, scrb said:

I'm sure it will be great -- great new songs, more heartwarming scenes, etc. -- but it seems almost sacrilege to sequel-fy this.

I guess the money is too tempting.  Sure little girls will love that there will be sequel(s) but maybe as they grow up, they'll learn about cynicism?

Did you actually watch the trailer? 

Sure, it's undeniable the money is tempting and a real motivation. But they clearly are taking a big risk with changing the tone of the franchise, and that's admirable. 

It's smart too. Rather than bank on new little kids to be the core audience, they're sticking with the kids who were so invested in the original 6 years ago. And those kids aren't little anymore. They're bravely, and I think accurately, gauged what will re-engage those now teenagers, who'd otherwise now tend to see Frozen done old-style as corny and below them.  Clever clever Disney. This risk WILL pay off. 

• Love 1
On 2/19/2019 at 10:21 PM, aradia22 said:

I'm torn because even though Disney has bought so many properties (Marvel, Star Wars, etc.) I still feel like they want that male demographic. They WANT it. There were "action" setpieces in Moana but to me, this feels more like the video game aesthetic that I first picked up on in Tangled. I resent the idea that a movie can't be too feminine or "princessy" without risking turning off male audience members.

I don't think that's what's going on here. This tone change isn't about male viewers. It's about keeping their existing audience. Who aren't children anymore. And they're very timely taking current societal cues, the sea change in the past few years, about gender roles, into account. They know more teen girls and young adult women will identify with a more serious and adventurous tone than with chirpy songs and classic romance plots. If it helps male viewership, I'm sure they're fine with that, but it's clearly more about female empowerment and showing the Princess (and Queen) as strong. It makes sense from both a 2019 marketing perspective, and a story one to justify this being a theatrical instead of direct to video sequel. 

• Love 4

They know more teen girls and young adult women will identify with a more serious and adventurous tone than with chirpy songs and classic romance plots. If it helps male viewership, I'm sure they're fine with that, but it's clearly more about female empowerment and showing the Princess (and Queen) as strong. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with comedic songs. Book of Mormon is still going and Avenue Q managed to run for years. Also, if girls weren't interested in romance, we wouldn't have the term "teen heartthrob." But I'm fine with making the shift as long as they have figured out what worked from the first movie. "Let It Go" was a smash hit. The reviews were mixed for the new songs they added to the Broadway musical but musicals can still be wildly popular if done right. Also, there are different kinds of strength. I hope this movie understands and conveys the importance of intelligence and emotional strength and that they take the opportunity to have Anna/Elsa together as much as possible. Sisterhood and collective strength feels more important than emphasizing the same kind of individualistic superheroic/action hero strength... just transferred to a female body.

• Love 2
On 2/24/2019 at 8:48 PM, Kromm said:

I don't think that's what's going on here. This tone change isn't about male viewers. It's about keeping their existing audience. Who aren't children anymore. And they're very timely taking current societal cues, the sea change in the past few years, about gender roles, into account. They know more teen girls and young adult women will identify with a more serious and adventurous tone than with chirpy songs and classic romance plots. If it helps male viewership, I'm sure they're fine with that, but it's clearly more about female empowerment and showing the Princess (and Queen) as strong. It makes sense from both a 2019 marketing perspective, and a story one to justify this being a theatrical instead of direct to video sequel. 

Absolutely. I think it is very telling that Frozen 2 is one of the promos airing before Captain Marvel. Disney realizes that many of the little girls who dressed up as Elsa and ran around singing Let It Go are now turning their attention to Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel. It is brilliant marketing to make it clearly known that Elsa and Anna can still appeal to Frozen’s original audience. 

Edited by Guest

New trailer. I'm sure they'll still have stuff for the little girls running around in princess costumes, but I really do hope the movie lives up to these darker trailers. It looks darker than Moana, but a similar theme with an adventurous quest into unknown waters.

• Love 1

That looks awesome! I don’t mind the dark turn, especially since most fairy tales have some dark origin stories. Looks like she’s going to have to fight a large rock monster-and deal with the perils of hot forest fires. I hope Kristoff doesn’t rescue Anna the whole time. 

• Love 1

I am perhaps making myself vulnerable here, but I found myself randomly rewatching the trailer this morning.  And honestly, the score they use for both trailers is outstanding.

• Love 3

I had to laugh when Anna said 'Then don't run into fire' because that's basically what World of Warcraft healers say ALL THE TIME to the big time dps characters (like rogues and mages) during dungeons and raids.

But that's a load of geekery anyway.

I also like Anna asking Kristoff if he thought Elsa was acting weird and he was all 'she's acting like Elsa?' Which just furthers the idea that Anna and Elsa are both weirdos and I'm totally down with that.

These trailers are really interesting. I'm into it.

• Love 4

LOVED the shot of Elsa with her hair completely down!

Sounds like their parents knew more than what they were telling. They really were the worst. I hope this movie finally addresses it so Elsa can stop blaming herself for her and Anna's crappy childhood.

• Love 5

I honestly am not feeling anything for this movie. The more I see the more I think 'Apart from the money why does this movie exist as a cinematic experience'. I continue to get strong Pocahontas vibes from the imagery. Maybe I'll warm up to it when I hear some of the songs, but truthfully as the years have progressed I've become less enamoured with the first movie's songs and their necessity within the framing of the movie and the Broadway musical does not give me confidence that the second movie will have good tunes.

Although I feel if someone informs me that Hans appears in the movie and the terrible unnecessary and out of nowhere character assassination gets reversed (redeemed) I may be able to accept the existence of this movie more.

I gotta say, this looks really cool. Maybe we find out where Elsa's powers come from? And King and Queen Not Helpful possibly knew more than they said they did, truly living up to their not helpful titles. 

This seems like it has more of an epic fantasy thing going on, and I am super here for it.

• Love 5

I'm not totally impressed with the snippet shared of the new song. Sounds like lazy lyric writing to me just repeating the title over and over for the chorus followed by wailing. I am happy to change my mind when I hear all the songs in full.

I get the feeling though that the songs will ultimately be disappointing because they don't match the level of the original. Something I find to be the case with ay musical sequel. 

• Love 2

I thought it was cute, but my biggest criticisms is that it suffered from pacing problems (we spent the middle of the movie just wondering around, and the best parts were the last 20min), there were no memorable songs, and there were times I thought the animators specifically animated to Idina Menzel’s Broadway performances. I thought the plot of the movie was a good one, but they could’ve gotten there in a much CLEANER streamlined way. 

Of course Olaf continues to be the best thing about this film, and while both Anna & Elsa are flawed people, they love each other and have good intentions. 

I enjoyed the portrayal of Sami culture and all of the costume changes they had in this film. Merchandising is going to blow up. Elsa wears one purple gown that I’m in love with. 

• Love 4

I watched this and there are literally SO MANY plot holes/unexplained things that I simply don't understand. Maybe the movie needed an extra 25 minutes to better flesh out the story.

Like why did building a dam cause the forest to be shrouded in a cloud? Where is the correlation?

15 hours ago, Harvey said:

I watched this and there are literally SO MANY plot holes/unexplained things that I simply don't understand. Maybe the movie needed an extra 25 minutes to better flesh out the story.

My take was because the dam constructed with dishonorable intentions, the Forrest shielded itself from further meddling by the people of Arendelle (who’s king brought violence to the community). Given that nature always seeks a balance, the forces of nature did grant the new king and his wife (a person of the Forrest who acted to save her enemy) a daughter with magical powers (Elsa) who could bring peace between the two communities. The dam was just a symbol of the hostility that came before. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

My take was because the damn constructed with dishonorable intentions, the Forrest shielded itself from further meddling by the people of Arendelle (who’s king brought violence to the community). Given that nature always seeks a balance, the forces of nature did grant the new king and his wife (a person of the Forrest who acted to save her enemy) a daughter with magical powers (Elsa) who could bring peace between the two communities. The dam was just a symbol of the hostility that came before. 

That is a nice explanation, thanks! Do you also know why did breaking the dam cause Elsa to return from the dead?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Harvey said:

That is a nice explanation, thanks! Do you also know why did breaking the dam cause Elsa to return from the dead?

I didn’t think Elsa was dead- she was frozen having traveled too far in the depths of the water elements. Once the damn destroyed and the balance restored to the Forrest, all the elements were at peace and she went back to being unfrozen. 

• Love 5

I was pretty disappointed by this. That was not a tight screenplay. It feels like there was very little conflict driving the plot, at least until the end of the movie. I was really looking forward to this, because the trailer looked great and I liked the first film. With this one though, yeah I just kind of sat there bored out of my skull for the most part. There are some cute moments. The animation looked absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately though, I guess it's a thumbs down from me. 

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, Ultrahyenagirl said:

I was pretty disappointed by this. That was not a tight screenplay. It feels like there was very little conflict driving the plot, at least until the end of the movie. I was really looking forward to this, because the trailer looked great and I liked the first film. With this one though, yeah I just kind of sat there bored out of my skull for the most part. There are some cute moments. The animation looked absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately though, I guess it's a thumbs down from me. 

I felt the same way.  I always knew that

Spoiler

eventually Elsa would give up the crown and go be free to be her true self

, but how they got there was underwhelming.  I would have thought that Anna would experience a lot more struggle with the thought of taking on so much responsibility.  A movie that can be boiled down to "Elsa learns the origins of her powers" could have been a lot more coherent and interesting.  

• Love 3

I saw it today and then I watched the first one again and am trying to understand the time frame between the 2 opening scenes with them as kids. In this one, the parents seem to be ok with Elsa's powers and how her and Anna play with them like it's a regular thing. In the first movie, Anna acts like it's something new they do and then the accident happens and her memory is erased. It's a bit off to me.

I guess this one puts to rest the Tarzan theory. And the Little Mermaid one too.

• Love 2

Saw it today with my kids, in a theater full of kids. As much as I liked the first movie I did not have high expectations for this one because it’s pretty much impossible to capture the same magic twice. 

so saying that, I did like it but it wasn’t as good as the first. I appreciated though how meta they were about the first movie and really tried to progress all the characters. As an adult who loves Disney, I appreciated all of that and the kids in the theater appreciated Olaf a lot, he got the biggest laughs. 

I feel like there were a lot of good ideas here that just didn’t quite hit their mark but it’s not unsatisfying. 

I could have done without kristoffs proposal panic (I went to the bathroom during his power ballad). The animation was breath taking. Much like in the first movie, the beginning songs lay out what this movie is about, and I liked that. Some scenes felt a little long. The songs were nice but were definitely not “let it go”. Elsa and Anna’s relationship and their evolution was nice although I feel like Anna’s got short changed a little bit. 

I don’t have big problems with this one. It’s not as good as “Frozen” but leagues better then most Disney sequels, and my kids loved it. 

• Love 6