Type keyword(s) to search

Frozen 2 (2019)

JessePinkman
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I guess this one puts to rest the Tarzan theory. And the Little Mermaid one too.

And thank Odin for that. Every since that theory gained traction on the socials and the greater web I have been annoyed . Why people today think every studio has a Cinematic Universe is beyond me. And what made me angrier about it was that it really all stemmed from the Rapunzel and Flynn cameo and people not understanding that Disney put past characters into movies for decades. Sometimes a cameo is just a cameo. I'm going to pretend the filmmakers deliberately went out of their way to debunk that stupid theory with this movie and that's why this movie needed to exist.

I've yet to see anyone try to show the existence of the Disney Cinematic Universe using Hercules and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Why? Cause it's ridiculous.

I know the movie has broken box office records, butI feel it's pretty quiet on the web compared to the first one. And that's probably because (for me) the new songs are fairly forgettable as a whole.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I saw it today and then I watched the first one again and am trying to understand the time frame between the 2 opening scenes with them as kids. In this one, the parents seem to be ok with Elsa's powers and how her and Anna play with them like it's a regular thing. In the first movie, Anna acts like it's something new they do and then the accident happens and her memory is erased. It's a bit off to me.

I guess this one puts to rest the Tarzan theory. And the Little Mermaid one too.

If I remember, Elsa's powers weren't a problem until the accident.  The parents seemed to know she had them and were maybe wary, but not forbidding, until Anna got hurt.

ETA: This movie also killed the Rapunzel theory that the Queen and Rapunzel's father were siblings...

Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, moonorchid said:

I could have done without kristoffs proposal panic (I went to the bathroom during his power ballad).

The power ballad was not good. I was amused by the way it was totally a video from the 80s but it felt weird in the movie and out of place.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

The power ballad was not good. I was amused by the way it was totally a video from the 80s but it felt weird in the movie and out of place.

I mean, I was laughing during it but at the same time I was going 'this is fast forward material' once it comes out on streaming or what have you.

For me, I liked a little bit more world building. I liked that their grandfather was a treacherous douche because that felt super realistic to me. I full on ugly cried when Elsa had the various memories playing around her.

I'm also super jealous that Elsa has a water horse friend that she can ride because that's just my way.

I went into this knowing it wasn't going to be able to live up to Frozen in so many ways. That's not something you can just do again. Sequels are always going to be tricky. I will say that 'Into the Unknown' is kind of catchy and has been in my head all weekend but it's not 'Let It Go' and that's just FINE.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I was a bit annoyed by Anna's clinginess to Elsa. 

For all this movie was about the sisters going on a shared journey and learning about their past, Anna felt pretty extraneous until the scene in the caves with Olaf.  And then she just became Queen at the end, with no build up or focus on how she would respond to a role she was never prepared for (not to mention Kristof adjusting to the role of King Consort or Prince Consort).

• Love 2

I thought this was a beautifully animated, but completely unnecessary sequel. 

The power ballad would have been a total snoozefest except for the reindeer backup singers.  I loved them!  But I also thought Sven was one of the best things about the first one.  Too much Olaf in this one for my taste, though his flurrying away was a nice symbolism re: Elsa's going too deep and losing her magic.

My take on the dam was that the dam was an effort to harness and control nature and thus the spirits, who rebelled by hiding the enchanted forest from all other invaders.  However, it is possible to take down a dam without causing a devastating flood downstream -- just do it a little more gradually. 

I suspected the grandfather of being duplicitous right from the start.

It was fine, and I guess I'm glad I saw it, but I won't seek it out, or even stop at it while I'm channel surfing. 

• Love 5
On 11/25/2019 at 10:03 AM, joanne3482 said:

I wanted to like that Kristoff was getting a big serious dramatic moment, but once I realized it was drawing from 1980s power ballads/music videos for the power ballads, I couldn't take it seriously.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't as good as the first one, but it felt like it had an actual story to tell and wasn't just a cash grab. Also, the fire salamander was adorable.  

• Love 5

I just got back from taking my three kids (2 boys ages 10 & 7 and my daughter who is 3. She seemed bored about midway through and there were some frightening parts for her. The boys actually seemed to really enjoy it. My 10 year old was OBSESSED with Frozen when he was about 3 or 4 but somehow I managed to never watch the first one until yesterday in preparation for going today to see the sequel. 

The first one definitely had better music but I did enjoy the opening number of this one. I also loved the look of the giants! I was glad to get some back story on the parents. Having just watched the original I wondered if I missed an explanation as to what happened to them because it seemed like they just disappeared off the face of the earth. My son later explained that there was a small explanation in the first movie but not much of one. 

I loved Elsa’s horse and the cinematography was absolutely gorgeous. Santa was already planning on bringing my 3 year old some Frozen swag for Christmas (she loves the original and asks Alexa to play the soundtrack frequently so she can dance) so I wanted to make sure we made it to see this one before Christmas. 

I will say that the last movie we saw in theaters was How to Train Your Dragon 3 and she was much more captivated by that one. 

• Love 1

Matthias' reactions to Olaf's recaps alone were worth the price of admission. Also big lols to Elsa's embarrassment to seeing herself sing "Let It Go" and her smashing the Hans statue to bits. And of course the reindeer ballad.

So not only were the parents useless idiots that kept secrets from their family in addition to isolating the sisters from each other, the grandfather was a douchey colonizer. Ugh.

The costumes were gorgeous, especially Elsa's snow spirit makeover. And now she has a sweet water horse and a cute salamander pet. 

All hail Queen Anna!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I loved the fire salamander!

If y'all liked Olaf's mid-film recap, I hope you stayed until the very very end of all the credits.

I was wondering if there was something at the very end, but I have very impatient kids.....will have to look it up later

I was so happy when Anna told Elsa that she wasn't responsible for her parents' choices. Seriously, THANK YOU. It always pisses me off that Elsa blames herself for them being isolated, having no holiday traditions, blah blah blah. The parents were the ones that screwed up. And I really wish the movie had allowed them to express that anger. 

This movie just makes the parents' actions worse in my opinion. The mom knew more than what she was telling, and she still went along with locking Elsa up from Anna and the rest of the kingdom for years before finally realizing that it wasn't working and deciding to come clean. I don't care if they thought it was to "protect" Anna. Little Elsa was in full control of her powers before that stupid ACCIDENT that her parents made her feel worse about and basically made her afraid of herself. No stupid lullabies or even the awesome "Show Yourself" is going to make me forget that.

• Love 14

I enjoyed it. I liked the power ballad but it would have been better if he'd had a section where he talked like all the 90's R&B songs. "Girl, you know I love you. But now I'm stuck in these wood with no where to turn." 

The animation was gorgeous as was Elsa with her hair down. I took Show Yourself as Elsa's coming out song even if Disney will never go there. The plot did seem a bit weak, but the animation made up for it, and I appreciate Disney taking on colonization, and I'm glad the Sami consulted on this. I, too, wish I had a fire salamander and a magical water horse. 

• Love 10

I really enjoyed this. Elsa's songs were great and I love that her journey, once again, was not about finding a romantic partner but about finding herself and her place in this world. Maybe I am reacting to being in a similar position, I am in my 40's and back in college to get my degrees and start teaching, but not every woman needs a romantic partner to feel fulfilled. I have been alone since my husband died almost 14 years ago and am very happy with my life.

That being said, the song that affected me most was Anna's solo song, "The Next Right Step". Man, did they nail the depression you feel when you lose one of the most important people in your life and you are trying to figure out how to move on. Just taking it one step at a time and trying to push you way through it...man, that hit hard.

I was a teenager in the 80's and I loved Kristoff's song. Hair metal was a huge part of my teenage years and they nailed it. Four of the songs have been in constant rotation from the movie are "Into the Unknown", "The Next Right Step", "All is Found" and "Lost in the Woods". Getting a cheesy 80's hair metal ballad right is very difficult and the only other cartoon one that has worked for me, and is on my IPod, is "You Snuck Your Way Right Into My Heart" from Phineas and Ferb. Look it up - you won't be sorry you did.

Loved the different spirits, especially the fire sprite. That salamander was freaking adorable!

• Love 12

I enjoyed this a lot. Like all sequels to originally-conceived-of-as-standalone movies, it wasn't strictly speaking necessary. But I thought it was a logical extension of the story and it didn't end up feeling gratuitous. I totally buy Elsa as not really right for ruling a kingdom. I agree that Anna's storyline suffered a bit, and in particular, it would have been nice to see more of her feelings about becoming queen.

I don't think the parents were bad; I think they were just in over their heads. The Northuldrans lived in harmony with magic, but they didn't actively control it. Elsa was something new for both of them.

The songs were beautiful, but Kristoff's 80's power ballad will always be first in my heart for the sheer WTF-ery of it all. I do wish there had been more reflection on the fact that like Elsa, Kristoff also doesn't know his origins. 

Olaf made me laugh a lot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I don't think the parents were bad; I think they were just in over their heads. The Northuldrans lived in harmony with magic, but they didn't actively control it. Elsa was something new for both of them.

And again, they thought the best "solution" was to isolate Elsa from the world and let Anna think that her own sister hated her for no reason?  Sure.

• Love 4

They isolated Elsa because that's what the trolls told them to do. It was terrible advice, but it wasn't an idea they came to on their own. I think Frozen 2 did a good job giving the parents a history that makes it clearer why they would have been desperate enough to listen to the trolls. We also see that they never gave up on finding an alternative solution.

4 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

They isolated Elsa because that's what the trolls told them to do. It was terrible advice, but it wasn't an idea they came to on their own. I think Frozen 2 did a good job giving the parents a history that makes it clearer why they would have been desperate enough to listen to the trolls. We also see that they never gave up on finding an alternative solution.

No, all the trolls said was that "fear was their enemy." The dad was the one that decided it was better to keep Elsa locked up until she could "control" (re suppress) her powers. And whether or not they were trying to find an alternate solution they still didn't clue Elsa in.

It was weird too because she seemed to be doing fine controlling her powers when they were playing. It was just an accident when she hit Anna. Kids have accidents when they play. Erasing a whole kingdom's memory over it and closing the castle and keeping the kids apart was overkill. Elsa only got self-conscious about it when her parents freaked out. 

Imagine dropping your kid when you're tossing him up in the air. Does that mean you should never pick your kid up again? 

• Love 8

Just came back from a 2D showing. The movie was sold out this weekend, but there were only 4 other people at a 640 Tuesday night showing lol. 

I really enjoyed it. I listened to the soundtrack in advance so that I would have that singalong feeling. Definitely the right move as I was anticipating which song was next. I will have "Show Yourself" in my head for weeks to come. That was my favorite number. Movie was gorgeous, a bit light on plot. I want to see it again just so I can stare at the costumes. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, AmeliaBedelia said:

Movie was gorgeous, a bit light on plot. I want to see it again just so I can stare at the costumes. 

We said it was like a Bollywood movie lol. Lots of fun songs and costume changes. My daughter and niece loved all of the dresses. And Elsa looked great with her hair down.

I do like the message that the sisters can go their own ways and still be close. Kristoff and Olaf were fun. Olaf's recap of the first movie may have been my favorite part of the whole movie.

• Love 2

Olaf and his existential crisis as he grows up and his recap of the last movie "I’m the bad guy!" was one of the highlights of the movie for me, I was dying! 

I thought this was a good movie, if not as good as the last one. The animation was wonderful, the songs were catchy, it didnt really re-con or mess up anything that happened in the last one, and everyone was pretty much in character. The world building was interesting as well and I am glad that we got a kind of explanation for Elsa's powers, and we saw more of the magical elements of this world. 

I felt like Kristoff was really underused in this movie though, his only plot was trying to propose to Anna and failing at it because the royal family of Arendelle is not great at communication, and I think they could have done a lot more with him. I really wanted to see him and Elsa spend more time together and see more of a dynamic with them or see more of how the relations between him and Anna has developed (he ended up separated from the sisters/plot for like half of the movie) but we didnt get a whole lot of that. I know that the emphasis should be on the sisters and their bond, but I think they could have maybe given him more of a subplot getting used to suddenly going from "woods dwelling ice farmer who lives with Reindeer and trolls" to "long term boyfriend of princess and next in line for the throne" which they kind of touched on, but I think they could have had some more fun with, especially as now, his new fiance is the queen! His 80s power ballad for funny (especially the reindeer showing up behind him ala Bohemian Rhapsody) but pretty pointless. 

Honestly, I am a little confused as to why Elsa has to leave and live in...an ice mountain? With the people in the valley area? Is she the magic queen now? I am sure there is a reason, but I cant figure out exactly what it is! Its sad that, after she and Anna were emotionally separated for years, that just when they get closer, Elsa has to leave, even though at least she is still visiting a lot apparently. I guess this is the new "bad guy is someone we thought was a good guy until TWIST" ending plot for 2019. Characters spend first movie/seasons fighting to be together with loves ones, and then in the next movie one of them leaves anyway because GROWTH? I did like Elsa finding more peace as to why she is how she is and embracing it, and Anna had to mature a lot and her son about moving past grief to do the right thing was really powerful. 

Being the mythology dork that I am, I really enjoyed some of the bits of actual mythology that they worked in, like the water spirit who looks like a horse is presumably a Nokk from Scandinavian/Germanic mythology, a water spirit that looked like a horse to people and would sometimes try to drown them, and the adorable fire lizard who is presumably a salamander, who have long been associated with being fire creatures in mythology and in alchemy, and were supposedly born in fire. Plus, that lizard was so freaking cute! And water horse is awesome! More cute magic animals! 

The fact that Anna and Elsa's grandpa was apparently violently opposed to magic (and a total dick) does add for some context as to their parents panic about Elsa having magic. Its possible dad picked up on some of his dads fear of magic being dangerous (although luckily he didnt hate magic so much as fear its danger) or thought that if Elsa couldn't control her powers and was found to have magic, she would be persecuted by their people. Maybe he even was extra afraid because, as far as he remembered, the people who live in tune with magic attacked his people and killed his father and the magic then attacked him, and maybe their mom was afraid that if people knew that she was from the magic lands, she and her daughters would be in danger from people still pissed off and scared. None of that excuses their terrible choices when it came to how to parent Elsa and Anna, but it does at least add some more context. 

I know it sounds like I am complaining, but I did really like this movie a lot, and will definitely see it again soon! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7
On 12/2/2019 at 2:00 PM, Spartan Girl said:

No, all the trolls said was that "fear was their enemy." The dad was the one that decided it was better to keep Elsa locked up until she could "control" (re suppress) her powers. And whether or not they were trying to find an alternate solution they still didn't clue Elsa in.

Yes but he says that after warning them of danger and showing them an image of people turning on Elsa. They didn’t tell them to isolate her but they did make it clear that if she couldn’t control her powers people would turn on her. When you watch that scene is seems that he is saying that other people’s fear of Elsa was the enemy rather than Elsa’s fear being her own enemy. The King also says his plan to isolate Elsa to the trolls so if they disagreed they could have spoken up. 
Clearly her parents made the wrong chose but at least in the beginning they believed they were protecting Elsa. 

On 12/4/2019 at 11:24 AM, tennisgurl said:

Honestly, I am a little confused as to why Elsa has to leave and live in...an ice mountain? With the people in the valley area? Is she the magic queen now? I am sure there is a reason, but I cant figure out exactly what it is! Its sad that, after she and Anna were emotionally separated for years, that just when they get closer, Elsa has to leave, even though at least she is still visiting a lot apparently. I guess this is the new "bad guy is someone we thought was a good guy until TWIST" ending plot for 2019. Characters spend first movie/seasons fighting to be together with loves ones, and then in the next movie one of them leaves anyway because GROWTH? I did like Elsa finding more peace as to why she is how she is and embracing it, and Anna had to mature a lot and her son about moving past grief to do the right thing was really powerful. 

Was she living on an ice mountain? I wasn’t sure but I assumed she was in the enchanted forest with her mother’s people. 
I have mixed feelings about the ending. I would have preferred she stay with Anna but I really like the message that sometimes being true to yourself means leaving home. 

I enjoyed the movie but the flow was just a little bit off. Personally I think it would have worked better if Elsa had gone off to solve the mystery and Anna had been leading their people. Maybe if a larger group from Arendelle ended up trapped in the Enchanted Forest with them. 

22 hours ago, Dani said:

Was she living on an ice mountain? I wasn’t sure but I assumed she was in the enchanted forest with her mother’s people. 
I have mixed feelings about the ending. I would have preferred she stay with Anna but I really like the message that sometimes being true to yourself means leaving home. 

At the end, Elsa goes to live in the enchanted forest with her mother's people. What I liked about the ending is that even though they are no longer living together, the sisters still have a close relationship. Elsa isn't in a self-imposed exile in the enchanted forest. It seems like game night or other activities at the palace are a regular thing for Elsa.

Also, I want to see Kristoff and Sven interact with Elsa's ice-horse in a short film.   

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

At the end, Elsa goes to live in the enchanted forest with her mother's people. What I liked about the ending is that even though they are no longer living together, the sisters still have a close relationship. Elsa isn't in a self-imposed exile in the enchanted forest. It seems like game night or other activities at the palace are a regular thing for Elsa.

Also, I want to see Kristoff and Sven interact with Elsa's ice-horse in a short film.   

Will the Nokk try to eat Olaf's nose, too? Horses love carrots.

• Love 2

I saw Frozen 2 twice and I really enjoyed it. I love Idina Menzel’s voice as Elsa and “Show Yourself” has quickly become one of my favorite songs to listen to lately. The scene in the movie with that song is so beautiful. They did such a great job with the animation.

Now that Disney plus is available, I hope Olaf gets his own mini series where he gives a summary of every Disney movie. I would love that so much!

On 12/12/2019 at 12:59 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Critics' Choice Award nominations:

Best Animated Feature

Best Song – Into the Unknown

Still don't understand why "Show Yourself" isn't getting more love.  I think it's a better song than "Into the Unknown."

Just saw this. Overall really enjoyed it. The kids in the movie theater adored it. I really love how Anna and Elsa live separate lives but remain close. It's a surprisingly grown up conclusion to a movie that's obviously meant for kids. Idina Menzel's voice is incredible.

• Love 1
On 12/28/2019 at 6:46 PM, Brn2bwild said:

Still don't understand why "Show Yourself" isn't getting more love.  I think it's a better song than "Into the Unknown."

Because Disney is only pushing Into The Unknown for the awards season. It was the only song submitted to the Academy, for example, for consideration.

9 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

Because Disney is only pushing Into The Unknown for the awards season. It was the only song submitted to the Academy, for example, for consideration.

Yes, but I wonder why.  Maybe they felt it contained too many story spoilers.  Otherwise, to me, it's the superior song.

3 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

Yes, but I wonder why.  Maybe they felt it contained too many story spoilers.  Otherwise, to me, it's the superior song.

I really loved “Show Yourself” in the movie but now when I listen to it I have a harder time connecting to it without the visuals. For me “Into the Unknown” works better as a stand alone song.

Edited by Guest
2 hours ago, Dani said:

I really loved “Show Yourself” in the movie but now when I listen to it I have a harder time connecting to it without the visuals.

Disney were also banking on Into The Unknown replicating Let It Go's success. Unfortunately the Disney crew forget to tell the song writers to make the verses as memorable as the title.

And with the newish rules the Academy has for the Song Category it would make Show Yourself the better option as the rules state the song and the visuals should compliment each other and that voting should take into account the presentation on the screen. It's why many end credit songs no longer get nominated.

I must confess though that I'm one of the few people who didn't think Let It Go was the stand out song of the first movie.

16 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

Disney were also banking on Into The Unknown replicating Let It Go's success. Unfortunately the Disney crew forget to tell the song writers to make the verses as memorable as the title.

But it's so obvious that "Show Yourself" is the emotional successor of "Let It Go."  "Into the Unknown" is more of an "I Want"/anticipation song along the lines of "For the First Time in Forever."

Now for a trivial question: I recalled the opening scene of the movie, where we saw the king as a young boy.  As a boy, he had blondish hair.  I thought that typically redheads started red and then went blond (or kept their redness, like Anna), not the other way around.  Can a hair expert out there confirm?

Edited by Brn2bwild
On 1/13/2020 at 8:14 PM, Brn2bwild said:

But it's so obvious that "Show Yourself" is the emotional successor of "Let It Go."  "Into the Unknown" is more of an "I Want"/anticipation song along the lines of "For the First Time in Forever."

“Let It Go” and “Into the Unknown” both being empowerment songs may be the problem. The songs feel similar but the new one doesn’t resonate with me as much. 

On 1/13/2020 at 8:14 PM, Brn2bwild said:

Now for a trivial question: I recalled the opening scene of the movie, where we saw the king as a young boy.  As a boy, he had blondish hair.  I thought that typically redheads started red and then went blond (or kept their redness, like Anna), not the other way around.  Can a hair expert out there confirm?

The King wasn’t a redhead. His hair was dark blonde/light brown.
Anyway hair color can change in drastic and unexpected ways because genes can turn on and off as we age. 
image.jpeg.68252512548ef8ac55a7007247ee3fa5.jpeg

Edited by Guest

Finally got a chance to comment on this.

I liked it, perhaps even more than the first one, though in that case it's because it got so overhyped that by the time I got to see it, it was never going to live up to my expectations. In this case the story was extremely cluttered (the five elements, the evil dam, the secret backstory) but the emotions were beautifully conveyed. I got a little misty-eyed when Elsa entered Ahtohallan and Anna sang her way onto her feet again (which makes it strange that "Into the Unknown" is up for the awards, since "Show Yourself" and "The Next Right Thing" were the two show-stoppers).

The subplot with Kristoff made me laugh, as he's clearly a thousand times more invested in that relationship than Anna is. I'm torn, because on the one hand it's nice to see a male character fixated on a relationship (the romance is essentially his entire plot) but on the other, I don't think anyone should have the sentiment: "who am I, if I'm not your guy?" This could have ended with the two of them amicably parting and it would have been okay with me.

But who am I kidding, that would have never happened in a Disney movie, any more than they were going to give Elsa a girlfriend. But again, mixed feelings. If they do Frozen III it would be nice to see Elsa in a romance, but it's also nice to have a Disney Princess (or queen, or whatever she is now) that's single and happy about it.

The highpoints were the visuals and music, which also felt a lot more consistent than they did in the first movie (every original Frozen song felt like it belongs in a different film), and like I said, I felt a bit verklempt when Anna finds the strength to get up, Elsa tamed the water horse and explores Ahtohallan, and the end when Elsa gallops over the rock troll/water.

Most wasted character: Honeymaren! She was cool and it's a bummer she didn't go on the mission (though I suppose it was too crowded already). Still, she needs a much bigger role if there's gonna be a Frozen III.

Edited by Ravenya003
damn and dam are not the same things
  • Love 1

I hope there isn't a Frozen III. I felt they struggled to find a decent story to tell and through as many plots as possible hoping something would stick. But then I am a person who had no interest in wondering where Elsa's powers came from in the first place, so I guess the movie wasn't made for me.

On 3/27/2020 at 10:50 AM, Ravenya003 said:

The sequel made 1.5 billion. There's gonna be a Frozen III.

Seriously boggles the mind but crappy movies sell, especially when coming from Disney. This movie being the perfect example.