Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Ghosts In The Attic

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

This will air on February 6th:

Dr. Halstead withholds some important information from Dr. Manning and she begins to question his suspect behavior. Dr. Choi comes to some difficult conclusions involving April over a patient's care. An incident in the OR involving Dr. Bekker at the hands of Dr. Rhodes may have serious implications.

Maybe they won't have a pregnant woman in the throes of preterm labour or with some life threatening condition that could kill both the mother and baby but probably won't because someone will do some experimental/ risky procedure and huzzah all will be saved storyline? That'd be different

• Love 6

Well they could really do something out of the blue and have Natalie freak and criticize/lecture Halstead about how awful he is for lying to her, how bad this is for her etc etc etc etc.

Its not like the viewers get enough of Natalie being judgmental so would be a welcome change.

• Love 7

Maybe they could have an exciting twist where April stares down Choi until he goes against his medical judgment to use a new experimental surgery to save a poor abused criminal who was on his way to apply for college but instead is shot by a crooked cop because he made him drop his donut.

• Love 5
On 1/25/2019 at 12:39 AM, Reality police said:

Just from reading the above, what's different from any other episode?

Its gotta be quite the cushy job for the promo department for this show.  Just copy and paste the synopsis each week, for the most part, only changing names if need to.

• Love 8
On 2/1/2019 at 12:47 AM, mysticalflute said:

Anyone know why it didn't air this week?

Someone saw it and thought "how can we delay putting this on as long as possible?"

Today in "Who is the biggest bitch?"episde::

• Manning doesn't ask the patient to access his cancer records, which might be necessary for her treatment, and then breaks up with a PTSD-suffering Will;
  • Maggie assumes that Sydney is drug-seeking and dismisses her symptoms;
  • Ava who may have faked her own cut to get Colin's sympathy;
  • All the nurses take their own revenge on Mr. Kaminstki;
  • And the winner dum dum dum dum APRIL! who refuses to tell Ethan what the nurses are laughing at, and pulls the curtain when he wants to know what's going on, and refuses to explain when Choi is trying to save her butt.

Who got those other 3 vials of epinephrine that Choi found in the waste bin?

25 minutes ago, Reality police said:

Ok, how many of us saw the HIV thing coming from a mile away?

Saw it coming 10 years ago on an ER episode where it was better done.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 11

This show never fails to disappoint......each week is worse than the last.

Does Ava have her jaw wired shut or something, why is she always talking through gritted teeth & without moving her lips?

The nurse in the beginning (the guy we've never met before yet are supposed to care about), I was almost expecting him to run out of the room with jazz hands. While understandably traumatic for him, the histrionics from the rest of the nurses was just nauseating and completely unprofessional. Go to your Nurse Manager and explain the situation instead of behaving like flogs.

Actually, come to think of it every one on this show is a flog.

oh....and well done writers....a week without a tragic pregnancy storyline.

Edited by Guildford
forgot something.
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, Guildford said:

The nurse in the beginning (the guy we've never met before yet are supposed to care about), I was almost expecting him to run out of the room with jazz hands.

I know!  Yeah, what happened to him was awful but his reaction had me cracking up.  

12 hours ago, statsgirl said:
  • All the nurses take their own revenge on Mr. Kaminstki;
  • And the winner dum dum dum dum APRIL! who refuses to tell Ethan what the nurses are laughing at, and pulls the curtain when he wants to know what's going on, and refuses to explain when Choi is trying to save her butt.

We already knew how judgmental and unprofessional April was, but those other nurses were just as awful.  I hope Choi has finally come to his senses about Miss Prissy April and accepts that they don't have to be friends, just colleagues.

I hope the stolen gun mystery isn't drawn out. 

• Love 5
On 2/7/2019 at 1:34 AM, sheetmoss said:

So when will Will's stolen gun  come back  as a storyline of it  being discovered that it was  used on  somebody brought into the ER... and his guilt?

I will bet three episodes from this one. Still not sure how the thief knew it was in the trunk. 

• Love 2
On 2/7/2019 at 9:22 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I haven't been watching every episode, so, why was Will's car singled out to be robbed?  How did the thief know there was a gun inside? Is there something more sinister going on? 

Didn't this feel like the mob people Will was involved with sending him some kind of message, like "yes we have our eye on you"? Like they knew he had a gun and where it was and so on. The gun theft appears destined to continue haunting Will.

I don't know how they can make Ava Bekker any more dislikable.

• Love 8
On 2/7/2019 at 6:34 AM, sheetmoss said:

So when will Will's stolen gun  come back  as a storyline of it  being discovered that it was  used on  somebody brought into the ER... and his guilt? 

My thought was the crime family who he helped bring down are going to use the gun to in some way implicate him in something especially because that whole thing seemed to be wrapped up way too neatly by him spending a few weeks in witness protection. Part of me is hoping the gun will be used to kill Natalie or something where the relationship can't be resurrected because its just painful to watch the lack of chemistry and recycled storylines.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 2/6/2019 at 9:02 PM, statsgirl said:

Who got those other 3 vials of epinephrine that Choi found in the waste bin?

I was wondering this too. Apparently the writers will just go with the excuse that "maybe it wasn't logged", as if this is not a serious mistake. 

They should have killed Will. Each episode he gets worse. They could kill Ava too, since the character is there for no reason. Then they could get rid of Connor because whatever, I just can't stand him and his ego. I like Maggie and Monique (strong, I know. But she is kind of quiet, so probably the reason why). The rest can just go away.

The nurses' long face because they had to do their job and treat a child molester was all kinds of annoying. It would be better if they had concluded that the nurses had killed the man. At least more interesting, instead of an "off the books" autopsy. 

The scene between Will and Natalie was an odd contest of Who Is The Worst Actor? To me, it was a tie. Do these people ever grow up? They are like outraged teenagers in a high school drama. 

• Love 7

This show has infuriated me. Where do I start and why am I still watching. Both Natalie and April are insufferable and the absolute worst. Choi and Will need to run away.

April is constantly interjecting her personal beliefs all over patients and she needs to shut up and do her job. I wish she had killed that patient, it could have made the show interesting. 

Natalie yes divorce is your only option when you and your husband have a fight. Stop issuing ultimatums and talk to Will. Listen to him and find out why he has the gun. Why he feels it's necessary and what he has actually been through. You could come to a compromise about it and it not be in the house. He wouldn't have had to lie to you if you hadn't just kicked him out because he owned one. 

I hope whoever stole the gun shoots Natalie and April gets caught in the crossfire. 

I effectively blocked out Bekker and Rhodes. She can go too. Maybe Rhodes will become likeable again. 

But we did get a mention of Dr. Latham! Maybe we will get an appearance from him soon. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

Does anyone else hate the females on this show? The word B**** comes to mind. I can't believe April the leading B.  Can you actually do what they (all the others) did and get away with it? Are there no professionals on this show? One week April decides she has to pull HIPAA and the next week she can ignore a patient? I do not see why they couldn't have given her the storyline of doing away with that child molester.

The only two I like right now are Maggie and Dr. Goodwin and I'm on the fence about those two. 

The Male Drs. Dr. Choi is a wimp as is dr. Halstead and Connor, as much as I like Connor, I cant understand how he cant see through that fake Dr. Bekker. What a conniving B****. 

Love Dr. Charles, seems to me he at least stays consistent, as does Maggie most of the time, 

Dr. Halstead, I can see the gun story coming back to bite you. I get Natalie's aversion to guns, but by what right does she have to dictate her terms to Will? It's his right and the gun was locked in a safe, although with the little monster she has, he just might be able to break in and get the gun and shoot his mother with it,  hey! That might make for an awesome storyline, or it would have. Shucks, she threw Will out....

• Love 4
On 2/7/2019 at 1:32 AM, Guildford said:

Does Ava have her jaw wired shut or something, why is she always talking through gritted teeth & without moving her lips?

The actress is English and she's trying to produce a (very bad) South African accent.  That's why I use to explain it at least.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Court said:

This show has infuriated me. Where do I start and why am I still watching. Both Natalie and April are insufferable and the absolute worst. Choi and Will need to run away.

April is constantly interjecting her personal beliefs all over patients and she needs to shut up and do her job. I wish she had killed that patient, it could have made the show interesting. 

Natalie yes divorce is your only option when you and your husband have a fight. Stop issuing ultimatums and talk to Will. Listen to him and find out why he has the gun. Why he feels it's necessary and what he has actually been through. You could come to a compromise about it and it not be in the house. He wouldn't have had to lie to you if you hadn't just kicked him out because he owned one. 

I hope whoever stole the gun shoots Natalie and April gets caught in the crossfire. 

I effectively blocked out Bekker and Rhodes. She can go too. Maybe Rhodes will become likeable again. 

But we did get a mention of Dr. Latham! Maybe we will get an appearance from him soon. 

Also noticed the mention of Dr. Latham.  Hope he comes back.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, statsgirl said:

The actress is English and she's trying to produce a (very bad) South African accent.  That's why I use to explain it at least.

I don't get why they didn't let her be English....unless they were going for the overdone stereotype that South African's are arrogant flogs.....I just don't get the need to have her try to speak with an accent when it's so poorly done and looks like she is in pain whenever she speaks.

• Love 6
On 2/9/2019 at 11:41 AM, Court said:

Also noticed mention f Dr. Latham.  Hope they bring him back.

• Love 2

This was the unlikable episode--April, Natalie and Bekker!!

Can the writers make April anymore unlikable and obnoxious?   Agree with some of the other comments about the nurses (Doris and April ran neck and neck).   They are there to do a job, no matter who the patient is--so unprofessional.    But April's out of control, e.g., glaring and closing the curtain in Choi's' face; even more reason for Choi to walk away.  And even though his suspicions were wrong--as if she's never made a mistake/read a situation incorrectly based on information at the time; at least he thoroughly investigated and was man enough to admit/acknowledge it to her--I'm glad he hasn't/didn't totally acquiesce to see if they could possibly get back together but remain friends.   HE should have said no one needs a friend like you!  

Manstead - finally!!  Guess this trainwreck of a relationship is ultimately over but Manning was so unyielding, unwilling to listen - it makes her unlikable as well.  it seems as if she was looking for a reason not to marry him especially after the facade of a make-up session in the previous episode.    And Natalie is as bad as Halstead with her misdiagnosis and mistakes.  The reprimand from Goodwin was too lenient, imo.

Bekker & Rhodes - terrible thing to say but I was hoping maybe that this would be her demise; that she would be HIV positive and written out.  But my hopes were dashed. Happy Conner didn't stay when she offered (is he still feeling guilty or will he stand firm on their impasse?)   Was glad to hear that Dr. Latham is at least "still there", LOL.  We need to see him again!

Lastly, who couldn't see the foreshadowing and predictability that Maggie would be a match and donate a kidney?   I'm talking to the TV saying, "no Maggie - don't be a match" but of course, the writers went with the standard trope.

Have the writers run out of ideas so they take snippets from other successful shows for their storyline?  The predictability and yes, foreshadowing, of these patients and cases is just ridiculous.  They either need new writers or put on some new thinking caps; the mindless writing they give me weekly has grown old.

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 5
On 2/9/2019 at 10:41 AM, Court said:

On 2/9/2019 at 10:41 AM, Court said:

Great post.

• Love 1

I guess I’m old enough to remember when the moral dilemmas were how medical professionals had to treat people they disliked, or in the established order regardless of whose friend was last on the list. Now, this show weekly shows this cowboy atmosphere of Docs and nurses completely ignoring protocol, legal requirements, moral requirements, sensible medical strategy, making up insane procedures, faking computer information etc and just making up whatever they want to do, based on their own biases and personal beliefs.

And every week when the latest staff gets caught, the Admin gives him/her the stern face and says it better not happen again. There are never consequences, ever. No wonder no one follows any rules or laws. Why bother? The nurses with the sex offender stuff should all have been suspended. No blowback, nothing, except the glaring April for Choi rightfully suspecting her.

And I will never, ever understand why the Psych Doc has literally nothing else to do all day every day but hang around the ER.

I shouldn’t complain as he’s the only character remotely likable on that show.

• Love 7

Yes, to the psychiatrist! I have some firsthand experience with this. My son tried to hurt himself. The ER doc, his psychiatrist  and I both agreed he needed to be sent to a mental health facility. Yet he couldn't make the call and we had to wait for the hospital psychiatrist to evaluate him and make the call. The ER doc was all I'm so sorry, I have noETA, they just get here when they get here. We arrived at the ER via ambulance about 6 PM. We didn't see the psychiatrist until about midnight.

Natalie dumped Will for the 25th time , not surprised at all. I can't fault the nurses for not wanting to treat the patient who molested one of their coworkers, some people's tolerance levels are just different when it comes to dealing with some of society's worse (speaking from personal experience). That being said, they should've had him transferred since no one wanted to treat him.  Hopefully the Ethan/April and the Natalie/Will sagas are no more.  I'm sure the season finally will, end with a cliffhanger when an angry patient holds the ED hostage with Will's stolen gun.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

There is no question that the nurses were unprofessional.  They probably should have all been fired.

It is bad enough when Chicago P.D.  shows their own brand of street justice without a trial.   There is no need for Chicago Med to head down that same path. 

Even if the guy is guilty of being a pedophile, they can't deny him medical care.

I wanted that patient to live and I wanted to see a trial.  Unfortunately, now that won't happen.

I guess,. but, I got this weird idea that maybe the female doctor doing the post mortem got the word and planted that little tumor to protect the true culprit.....I know.....I'm watching too much medical tv drama, but, the thought did occur to me.  I just found it a little frustrating.  It's not about taking someone at their word in an ER situation like that.  It's called protocol.  Why can't the professionals on this show follow it?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, icemiser69 said:

And if they attempted to transfer the patient and he died on route those nurses along with the hospital could be in some serious legal hot water.  Those nurses would have definitely lost their licenses and had a civil lawsuit of epic proportions to deal with.

That patient wasn't convicted of anything.  What if the coworker that accused the patient of such a disgusting act was wrong?

Even if he went to trial and was found guilty, aren't they still obligated to treat him?  Of course they are.

With the way they were acting, that man would have been dead anyway. Which is why I suggested a transfer rather than everyone acting like he would have just cured himself if they ignored him.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, spunky said:

I can't fault the nurses for not wanting to treat the patient who molested one of their coworkers, some people's tolerance levels are just different when it comes to dealing with some of society's worse (speaking from personal experience)

But the thing is, it was their damn job, and if they can't handle dealing with patients they're disgusted with, they should find another line of work. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

But the thing is, it was their damn job, and if they can't handle dealing with patients they're disgusted with, they should find another line of work. 

Which ER, as usual, handled better way back when in an episode where a rapist of elderly women had come in not long after one of his victims, and John Carter got called out by Anna Del Amico for using the self saver to infuse the guy's own blood versus a transfusion. And he admitted his error and disgust at the guy and it affected his decision making.

There will always be heinous individuals wheeled in, but biases are to be left at the door - or don't be a doctor.

• Love 3

I missed most of this episode due to the local weather people insisting on talking through most of the middle. I'm not motivated enough to seek out the uncut episode. I think I've pieced together what happened except could someone fill me in on Ava/Conner? I just got the first not talking scene and when he shows up at her apartment to tell her stuff he could have told her by text.

Conner and Ava were doing surgery on an HIV-positive patient. Ava accidentally on purpose made a careless move and her hand was cut. Since she could have been exposed to HIV, she had to leave immediately and go on antivirals and she can't work for 2 weeks (I think?) Later, as Conner is leaving the hospital, one of the surgery nurses says, "I can't be believe Dr. Bekker did that. She's usually extremely careful." The implication is that she made the cut happen on purpose so that Conner will be nice to her so they can get back together.

• Love 2

I hope that Wig Boy realizes that he really dodged a bullet when self righteous mess Manning dumped him. She is a controlling freak who cannot be worth the trouble she causes. Nor is he for that matter. They both should be fired and they should bring in some new blood. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, langford peel said:

I hope that Wig Boy realizes that he really dodged a bullet when self righteous mess Manning dumped him. She is a controlling freak who cannot be worth the trouble she causes. Nor is he for that matter. They both should be fired and they should bring in some new blood. 

I wondered if that was a wig he wears.  

On 2/6/2019 at 9:02 PM, statsgirl said:

Today in "Who is the biggest bitch?"episde::

• Maggie assumes that Sydney is drug-seeking and dismisses her symptoms;

This one I have to disagree with you on...imagine being in Maggie's place. Some woman she met maybe once, through a long-ago classmate, comes into the ED, trying to butter Maggie up with how her relative always said you could count on Maggie if you needed help, then tells Maggie that she doesn't really need to get an exam, just give her some painkillers? Sure, they had to have the story twist another way for the sake of drama, but IRL unfortunately it would not have been that way. And Maggie is a smart woman who's been around the block a few times. Who could blame her for her initial conclusion?

On 2/11/2019 at 3:27 PM, icemiser69 said:

That patient wasn't convicted of anything.  What if the coworker that accused the patient of such a disgusting act was wrong?

An important point to consider: If it hadn't been for Nurse Hank conveniently happening to encounter the patient, nobody in the ED would ever have known a thing about him other than the medical details. And who's to say that other patients who have come through there haven't done terrible things, just that nobody knew about them, so they treated the patients as normal? It's a slippery slope.

On 2/9/2019 at 11:41 AM, Court said:

Natalie yes divorce is your only option when you and your husband have a fight.

At this point, if I were Will I would be seriously paranoid about living with Natalie. Married or not, it seems like every time she doesn't like something she kicks him out. What if Will didn't have a brother he could crash with? I'm assuming he shares in the rent of this house by now? It's not exactly healthy to be living like that, constantly wondering if you say or do one thing "wrong," you aren't going to have a place to sleep that night.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

Conner and Ava were doing surgery on an HIV-positive patient. Ava accidentally on purpose made a careless move and her hand was cut. Since she could have been exposed to HIV, she had to leave immediately and go on antivirals and she can't work for 2 weeks (I think?) Later, as Conner is leaving the hospital, one of the surgery nurses says, "I can't be believe Dr. Bekker did that. She's usually extremely careful." The implication is that she made the cut happen on purpose so that Conner will be nice to her so they can get back together.

Thanks for the update.

21 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

Unless they are planning on making Bekker insane, this is the most ridiculous plot twist ever.  NO ONE deliberately cuts themselves during a surgery on an HIV patient.  Certainly not to try to get back together with someone.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, izabella said:

Unless they are planning on making Bekker insane, this is the most ridiculous plot twist ever.  NO ONE deliberately cuts themselves during a surgery on an HIV patient.  Certainly not to try to get back together with someone.

No, but if you pretend you got cut for the attention,

did anyone else notice she didnt have that finger bandaged when Connor showed up at her door.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Lyanna19 said:

No, but if you pretend you got cut for the attention,

did anyone else notice she didnt have that finger bandaged when Connor showed up at her door.

She also didn't seem to be that upset when she cut her finger, which I thought was strange. 

• Love 3
On 2/11/2019 at 2:13 PM, spunky said:

Natalie dumped Will for the 25th time , not surprised at all. I can't fault the nurses for not wanting to treat the patient who molested one of their coworkers, some people's tolerance levels are just different when it comes to dealing with some of society's worse (speaking from personal experience). That being said, they should've had him transferred since no one wanted to treat him.  Hopefully the Ethan/April and the Natalie/Will sagas are no more.  I'm sure the season finally will, end with a cliffhanger when an angry patient holds the ED hostage with Will's stolen gun.

I can't fault the nurses for feeling the way they did either, but they're professionals and treating him is part of their job.  If their tolerance levels are not as high as they should be, then they need to be in another line of work.   And no, the patient should not have been transferred.  He should have been treated exactly like any other patient that is brought in.  Every doctor, nurse, etc, knows that.  Medical staff doesn't get to decide which patients get to stay and which have to go based simply on their feelings.  That's not how it works.    

Anyone who takes a job in a hospital ER, btw, better be very well-prepared to deal with "some of society's worst" (especially in a big city.)  It's most definitely part of the gig and they all know what they're getting into, so they need to either do their jobs or find a different career.

(I do like your idea of a cliffhanger, though!)

• Love 5
On 2/13/2019 at 4:31 PM, Ohwell said:

She also didn't seem to be that upset when she cut her finger, which I thought was strange. 

Now that I'm thinking back on the whole thing, didn't Ava also say no when Conner wanted to see her finger? (This was when they were in the hallway outside the OR.)

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:37 PM, mrsbagnet said:

That same surgical nurse might have been privy or witness to the other procedure that Connor was called out for in the board review.  It makes no sense that Ava would report him in order to sabotage his hospital status in that way. The surgical nurse was really speaking out of turn unnecessarily which puts her motives in question. IMO. She might be shilling for somebody else (daddy?) in order to cause real strife between Ava and Connor.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1