Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

23 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

Seriously though, the fact that they were able to get as many of them together at the same place at the same time is nothing short of astounding.  

Oh absolutely! I'm squealing like I'm 15 and watching Titanic again (which is not a phase I ever wanted to revert to!) But it is noticiable that there some faces missing.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, scriggle said:

I thought I didn't see Tom Hiddleston in there. But the list of those that couldn't make it is practically a whole other photo! Wonder if that's why it seems there is so much empty space in the photo-it takes into account that not everyone is there. I hope they do one for the television/Netflix shows, too.

• Love 1

This is kind of stupid, but I wonder if there is any merit to the idea that Steve was chosen for the super soldier program because he had all of his medical conditions. He had asthma, strep throat, rheumatic fever, sinusitis, an arrhythmia, high blood pressure, possible tuberculosis, and a family history of cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease. It's not so much that he had these medical impairments, but that a person with all of these impairments in the 40s should have been dead. The fact that he wasn't is a testament to the ironic superiority of his genetics. I know that the movie implies that Steve's will and innate decency set him apart. That's probably true, but Steve was born in the middle of the Spanish Flu outbreak that killed 5% of the world's population. I wonder if Steve's ability to survive diseases that killed other people was a factor in making him eligible for the super soldier program.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I wonder if Steve's ability to survive diseases that killed other people was a factor in making him eligible for the super soldier program.

I wouldn't say eligible (I think that was all Erskine), but I think that could have played a part in him actually surviving the transformation.  I know there was also a different activating agent (Vita-Ray vs the Tesseract/Space stone energy), but Zola went through a lot of prisoners before Bucky survived.  Maybe Bucky and Steve were exposed to some of the same communicable diseases and both had built up a certain type of immunity that helped their bodies process the changes, and maybe that's partly why Red Skull's transformation went sideways.  Definitely an interesting question!  

1 hour ago, festivus said:

Was Hayley Atwell in it? I couldn't find her.

She was there, I saw a close up of her and she was smiling beautifully (can't find the link now, dang it).  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, festivus said:
2 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

She was there, I saw a close up of her and she was smiling beautifully (can't find the link now, dang it).  

Thanks. I didn't find her the first time, I'll have to look again.

I love that almost everybody looks serious like a class picture but she and Emily VanCamp who plays her niece are smiling!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

So, now that we know the soul stone isn't in Wakanda, I realized I was interested in it because I thought it was there and now that it isn't, I'm finding I don't really care about it any more... it's just a MacGuffin.   But Thanos does have a reason to target Wakanda, so that's basically all that matters to me from a story perspective.   

But I will definitely need more Shuri and Bucky scenes!!  

1 hour ago, Wynterwolf said:

now that we know the soul stone isn't in Wakanda

Do we really know this?

So Killmonger is a terrific villain, in large part because his motivations are specific and personal and comprehensible.  I was thinking that it was possible Ronan could have good in a similar vein.  We didn't get a lot of background on his grievance, but clearly he was deeply offended by the peace accords, and the violation of Kree traditions.  But in order to understand his point of view, we would need to understand Kree culture, and the movie just didn't have time for that.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, ChelseaNH said:

Do we really know this?

Coogler did an interview where he explained why they didn't have it in Wakanda since they already had the vibrainium. Definitely made sense, and I think some other people have mentioned Thanos might already have it, which would make sense too, I think. 

eta: Link to one of the articles where RC talked about the Soul Stone

Edited by Wynterwolf
1 hour ago, ChelseaNH said:

Do we really know this?

So Killmonger is a terrific villain, in large part because his motivations are specific and personal and comprehensible.  I was thinking that it was possible Ronan could have good in a similar vein.  We didn't get a lot of background on his grievance, but clearly he was deeply offended by the peace accords, and the violation of Kree traditions.  But in order to understand his point of view, we would need to understand Kree culture, and the movie just didn't have time for that.

I'm glad they're finally able to use Skrulls for Captain Marvel because they have been the longtime enemies of the Kree in the comics, not Xandar.

So after seeing Black Panther and meeting the awesomeness that is Shuri, I'm wondering if the solution to earth's intergalactic security issues post the purple one will be some sort of TeamTech team up linking up whatever is salvageable from Tony's AI, Shuri's AI tech that she's now upgraded after whatever she learned from helping Bucky, and whatever might be left after Thanos strips Vision for parts.  Maybe with an assist from Bruce, and maybe Rocket.  Then everyone can retire (and go back to earth based bad guys) and we can get JARVIS back.  

• Love 2

My updated MCU movie ranking:

1. Captain America The Winter Soldier
2. Black Panther
3. Ant-Man
4. Spider-Man Homecoming
5. Captain America Civil War
6. The Avengers
7. Iron Man
8. Thor Ragnarok
9. The Guardians Of The Galaxy
10. The Avengers Age Of Ultron
11. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2
12. Incredible Hulk
13. Iron Man 3
14. Captain America The First Avenger
15. Iron Man 2
16. Doctor Strange
17. Thor
18. Thor The Dark World

• Love 1

Is there somewhere that lists all the Marvel Universe movies nicely for viewing continuity? When I say "Marvel Universe" I mean all the movies that pertain to the world that has been created by all the iterations of the characters that will be involved in Infinity War. (Basically, if there is something out there made by Marvel before RDJ's Iron Man, I am not interested for these purposes.)

38 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Is there somewhere that lists all the Marvel Universe movies nicely for viewing continuity? When I say "Marvel Universe" I mean all the movies that pertain to the world that has been created by all the iterations of the characters that will be involved in Infinity War. (Basically, if there is something out there made by Marvel before RDJ's Iron Man, I am not interested for these purposes.)

This is a list of the films:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_films

The TV series are also officially part of the MCU, though the characters from TV have not ever crossed over into the films as far as I can recall:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_television_series

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Enigma X said:

MCU nerds and Marvel zombies have published many viewing order guides. maybe not as many as Bible reading plans but it is  only 10 years old. Some are strictly in MCU chronological. Others are built logically, in that you need to know something from movie X to understand an Easter egg in movie Y or a post credit scene. Some include Marvel TV others strictly the 18 movies. I don't know which to recommend just do a computer search and take a look. In my case I just following along with the podcasters that i have been listenning to.

Edited by Raja
54 minutes ago, Raja said:

MCU nerds and Marvel zombies have published many viewing order guides. maybe not as many as Bible reading plans but it is  only 10 years old. Some are strictly in MCU chronological. Others are built logically, in that you need to know something from movie X to understand an Easter egg in movie Y or a post credit scene. Some include Marvel TV others strictly the 18 movies. I don't know which to recommend just do a computer search and take a look. In my case I just following along with the podcasters that i have been listenning to.

I have googled and  a few I have seen were contradictory.  I am also looking for a list minus the TV characters. (I do watch the TV shows, but I am only interested in the movies.)  I have seen 15 of the 18 and just wanted to attempt to watch them all in chronological order.

3 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

This is a list of the films:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_films

The TV series are also officially part of the MCU, though the characters from TV have not ever crossed over into the films as far as I can recall:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_television_series

Thanks. I should have known Wikipedia would have it.

On 2/21/2018 at 10:01 AM, Enigma X said:

Here's a list that includes the films, the one shots, and tv shows in chronological order:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/feature/a825774/marvel-cinematic-universe-in-chronological-order/

Except for 1 or 2 episodes of Agents of SHIELD that technically cross over with Age of Ultron (Nick Fury tasks the Agents of SHIELD with finding the helicarrier that Fury uses to rescue people in Sokovia) and an Easter egg for Doctor Strange (there is a book missing in the library in Kamar-Taj that is part of the entire Ghost Rider Agents of SHIELD arc), the tv stuff is skippable.

Though season 2 of Agent Carter and parts of Agents of SHIELD explain how HYDRA could have wormed its way into SHIELD, the World Security Council, and the US government by explaining that HYDRA is like the stone masons or illuminati. It's older than WW II and part of an ancient world domination society. However, it seems like SHIELD is still not a going concern in the film part of the MCU.

I think most of the One Shots are skippable because they don't impact the larger Infinity War narrative.

If you're just watching the stuff that will impact Infinity War, then you need to watch all of the Captain America films, both Avengers films, Thor: The Dark World, Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Spider-Man Homecoming, the Guardians films, and Black Panther.

The first Thor is a piffle and Avengers does a good job of reintroducing Thor and Loki. The Incredible Hulk doesn't include anything essential except for Thunderbolt Ross. The Iron Man films underscore all of Tony's terrible actions in the Avengers movies real or ersatz, but I don't know if they are really essential to prep for Infinity War. Plus I think you get a solid sense of Tony's personality in the 4 films he appears in on my abbreviated list.

The abbreviated list gives you a sense of most of the characters who will appear in Infinity War and where all of the infinity stones are. So I guess the abbreviated list order chronologically would be:

1. Captain America: The First Avenger
  2. The last 10 minutes of Thor and the post credits scene (not essential)
  3. Avengers
  4. Thor: The Dark World
  5. Captain America: Winter Soldier
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy 1
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
  8. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  9. Ant-Man
  10. Captain America: Civil War
  11. Doctor Strange (there are hints that this film starts as early as Iron Man 2, which occurrs before Avengers, and definitely concludes at the beginning of Thor: Ragnarok)
  12. Thor: Ragnarok
  13. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  14. Black Panther

The real problem with these chronological lists is that a lot of stuff happens concurrently. So a lot of Ragnarok, Homecoming, and Black Panther are happening at the same exact time.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Gemma is gorgeous. Hopefully, they'll do as good a job with her makeup as Agents of SHIELD did with Sinara. I've always thought Gamora's was only ok. Zoe is also lovely, but her makeup doesn't do a great job of letting that shine through.

I’ve always thought Gamora’s was oddly flat for a skin tone. It’s like they didn’t bother to give her skin any tone variations beyond a darker lip.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

I’ve always thought Gamora’s was oddly flat for a skin tone. It’s like they didn’t bother to give her skin any tone variations beyond a darker lip.

Yes!!! It's so flat. It has no dimensionality to it. And most of the time, they don't even use highlighter so it looks like real skin. It's a pretty crappy makeup. 

Edited by HunterHunted
On 2/27/2018 at 1:01 PM, anna0852 said:

I will pay money to see that. I will pay more money if there ends up being a reference from Peter Quill about how whomever Mark ends up playing looks like Luke Skywalker.

Given all the talk about how Sebastian Stan looks like Mark Hamill it'd be pretty funny for Quill to see Bucky during Infinity War and be all 'You look like Luke Skywalker!' And Bucky would be all 'What?' and look at Steve for help. And Steve (who had Star Wars on his list) would be all "Hmm... well, he's not exactly wrong." And then ALL of the Avengers stare at Bucky and are all 'I can't believe I didn't see it before!' (Maybe this is a credits scene...) And then in GotG3 he meets whomever Hamill plays and goes 'Did you go to Earth and have a kid there, too? I met a guy who looks like an apple that dropped right off your proverbial tree!' And Drax wouldn't get it because he doesn't understand metaphors and would be wondering if Groot had a kid on Earth and Rocket would call everyone a bunch of jackasses.

• Love 6
(edited)

Speaking of Groot...

I'll be honest, I never thought much about this re: Groot vs Baby!Groot (and now Teen!Groot).  But now I'm retroactively sad for some reason I don't quite understand.  Although in either case, there is still Groot.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

Speaking of Groot...

I'll be honest, I never thought much about this re: Groot vs Baby!Groot (and now Teen!Groot).  But now I'm retroactively sad for some reason I don't quite understand.  Although in either case, there is still Groot.  

Is this news? I have seen this reported but I also thought James Gunn said the same thing about Baby Groot being a new individual who didn’t have original Groot's memories when the movie came out.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I also thought James Gunn said the same thing about Baby Groot being a new individual who didn’t have original Groot's memories when the movie came out.

Probably, as I said I hadn't paid much attention before (and from the reaction, I'm not alone in that) so it's apparently new to some people.  

eta: And see, apparently there's already been discussion of this in the GotG thread that I had no idea about since I don't go in there.  Heh. 

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 1

Kevin Feige has some things to say about the future of the MCU (mild spoilers? It's all very general, his a cryptic guy).

Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige on the future of Black Panther, Captain Marvel, X-Men — and beyond

On Captain Marvel:

I wanted to ask you a little more about Captain Marvel. It’s set in the 1990s. How does shifting that timeline back open up new storytelling for the MCU?
We wanted to explore a period before Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury had any idea about any of the other heroes and crazy stuff going on in the world. You know, we first met Nick when he told Tony, “You’re part of a big universe. You just don’t know yet.” Well, we want to go back to a time when he didn’t know it yet, and really showcase and announce that Carol Danvers was that first hero that Nick came across. That meant she could be the singular hero, but place it within timing of the MCU. It also got us talking about different genres, exploring this notion of sort of the ‘90s action film. We hadn’t necessarily done anything like that before either, so there are definitely homages to our favorite ‘90s action films within Captain Marvel.

On Black Panther 2:

What can you tell us about plans for a Black Panther sequel?
Nothing specific to reveal, other than to say we absolutely will do that. One of the favorite pastimes at Marvel Studios is sitting around on a Part One and talking and dreaming about what we would do in a Part Two. There have been plenty of those conversations as we were putting together the first Black Panther. We have ideas and a pretty solid direction on where we want to head with the second one.

On spin-offs:

Usually, we get three stand-alone movies for a single hero, then some team-ups. But is there potential in Black Panther beyond that? I see people saying, “I want a Dora Milaje movie. I would like a Shuri movie.” Do you see more potential there, or do you think you’ll stick with that kind of three-act structure that you’ve followed in the past?
I think there’s lots of potential. It’s a balance between leaving people wanting more and then giving them too much, but I would watch a movie about any of those characters you just named. I think Shuri’s astounding, and you’ll see much more of her in our universe. Okoye, I think I’d watch three action films just Okoye. I’m not saying we’re doing that, but I’m saying that we’re intrigued by them. Frankly, as I’ve said before, finishing these first 22 movies is really all we’re thinking about at this point.

• Love 2

I find it so interesting that Feige will talk about the upcoming films (a Spider-man sequel, Guardians 3, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Captain Marvel, and possible Panther sequels), but nobody's saying shit about Doctor Strange 2. They can't do a stand alone Hulk film because of Universal's right of first refusal for distribution. How about a Hulk and Doctor Strange film?

15 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I find it so interesting that Feige will talk about the upcoming films (a Spider-man sequel, Guardians 3, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Captain Marvel, and possible Panther sequels), but nobody's saying shit about Doctor Strange 2. They can't do a stand alone Hulk film because of Universal's right of first refusal for distribution. How about a Hulk and Doctor Strange film?

Well seeing we are coming off a Thor film featuring the Hulk there is probably no studio objections

If we actually do get a movie about Shuri or characters like that, it’ll represent a shift from making movies based at least in part on existing stories to making movies based on the MCU itself. I think that’s interesting, and I think I hope it succeeds.

They’re burning through existing history very quickly. I’ve wondered if they’ll have to reboot the movie universe like they do in comics ALL THE DAMN TIME. If they can make people support characters created for (or given a high profile by) the MCU, then it becomes sustainable in its own timeline. The Marvel Comics universe can’t kill off a Thor, Cap, or Iron Man. But maybe the MCU can?