Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, BetterButter said:

I find it funny how this movie is like the drunken relative that every other movie in the MCU tries to ignore. Outside of Ruffalo/Hulk's comment about destroying Harlem in the Avengers are there any other connections to the Universe? And that action took place literally blocks away from Pop's barbershop.

Since all the Marvel movies are widely discussed, I have put a spoilers tag for this thread. Once the movies are widely released, any information about them does not need to be tagged in this thread. Any leaked information will be considered spoilers. Please be aware of that when entering this thread after Thursday. 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I find it funny how this movie is like the drunken relative that every other movie in the MCU tries to ignore. Outside of Ruffalo/Hulk's comment about destroying Harlem in the Avengers are there any other connections to the Universe? And that action took place literally blocks away from Pop's barbershop.

William Hurt as Thunderbolt Ross. That's this movie's biggest contribution to the MCU.

3 hours ago, ChelseaNH said:

"Kidnapped" is an interesting term for an active duty soldier operating in a war zone.

I wasn't sure of what word to use, but since Barnes was presumed dead for years but was actually taken by Hydra and turned into an assassin it seemed to fit. I expect if they'd been able to find Steve they'd have done the same thing to him and we'd have gotten Cap as a Hydra operative, but that isn't what happened.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

Kevin Feige's oral history of the MCU, phase by phase.

Tony Stark in his solo movies immediately prior to Civil War: "No I don't trust the US government, watch as I openly defy you in front of the entire assembled Congress, Senator Hydra!" "The Vice President is evil and working with the guy who is trying to kill me!?!" "Iron Patriot is a dumb idea!"

Tony Stark in Civil War: "I'm sad so I'll put all my faith and trust in the United States Government, here being represented by the guy who's been trying to capture my best friend to use as a weapon!"

Yes, it's a good thing they spent all that time letting us get to know Tony Stark's character before Civil War.

• Love 6

‘Avengers,’ the Most Lucrative Movie Franchise Ever, Is Wrapping Up. Why?

Everything ends, even if it might not feel that way right now for Joe and Anthony Russo. More than a year into the making of “Avengers: Infinity War,” these directing brothers were shuttling around the Walt Disney Studios here one evening in March, putting the finishing touches on their latest superhero blockbuster.

The tasks that awaited them were mostly routine and unglamorous: rerecording dialogue with Elizabeth Olsen, who plays the Scarlet Witch; taking their last looks at a new trailer for the film, which opens Friday and sets up a battle royal in which every costumed champion in the Marvel universe must defend it against a genocidal titan named Thanos.

With these duties out of the way, the Russo brothers have one more assignment to complete: successfully bringing the curtain down on the most lucrative franchise in Hollywood history.

The 18 movies that preceded “Infinity War” were a risky feat unto themselves: a multihour narrative in which each installment handed off to the next — sometimes elegantly, sometimes awkwardly — and events in previous episodes had lasting effects on those that followed.

Now Marvel is trying something equally unprecedented and potentially far riskier. In “Infinity War” and a subsequent “Avengers” movie that will open in May 2019, the Russos need to seamlessly incorporate dozens of major characters, all while bringing the franchise to a satisfying conclusion.

“We’re not making any bones about the fact that we’re ending the first 10 years,” Joe Russo said later that night. “That’s what we pushed for.”

Edited by Dee
6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Was Serpant Society ever really planned? I always thought that was a working title to hide the Civil War Storyline? Didn't they even announce Serpant Society at the Phase 3 Launch Party and then immediately reveal that Civil War was the real Capt 3?

I love the Serpent Society but they'd be utterly ridiculous in the MCU.  Hi, we're a group of 12+ supervillians all with snake themed personas, ranging from a normal chick who throws diamonds (aka, "Diamondback") to a guy whose legs has been replaced by a 10 foot long robot snake tail (aka "Bushmaster") and a guy whose mouth stretches two feet tall with venomous fangs (aka "Cottonmouth"). We all make sense in this universe, right?

8 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I love the Serpent Society but they'd be utterly ridiculous in the MCU.  Hi, we're a group of 12+ supervillians all with snake themed personas, ranging from a normal chick who throws diamonds (aka, "Diamondback") to a guy whose legs has been replaced by a 10 foot long robot snake tail (aka "Bushmaster") and a guy whose mouth stretches two feet tall with venomous fangs (aka "Cottonmouth"). We all make sense in this universe, right?

I mean, the movie we got turned Baron Zemo from Nazi nobility that wears a purple condom on his head into a Sokovian military operative turned terrorist, so I don't think the Serpent Society having a snake theme would be much of an issue.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

Tony Stark in his solo movies immediately prior to Civil War: "No I don't trust the US government, watch as I openly defy you in front of the entire assembled Congress, Senator Hydra!" "The Vice President is evil and working with the guy who is trying to kill me!?!" "Iron Patriot is a dumb idea!"

Tony Stark in Civil War: "I'm sad so I'll put all my faith and trust in the United States Government, here being represented by the guy who's been trying to capture my best friend to use as a weapon!"

Yes, it's a good thing they spent all that time letting us get to know Tony Stark's character before Civil War.

You're not wrong, but just to be contrary, I have to point out that Cap also gets a personality transplant, going from, "We have to be responsible and follow orders. Teamwork and working together is what makes it an army and not a bunch of guys running around shooting guns." to "We should be allowed to do whatever we want because we're stronger and smarter than everybody else. We don't need no stinkin' badges!" The spoof script that was floating around on the 'net shortly after Civil War came out even has Chris and Robert asking if they haven't gotten each other's dialogue by mistake.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I guess that's what happens when you take a storyline from the comics that had years of character continuity, establishing Tony Stark as a governmental authority figure (I mean, he was actually the Secretary of Defense at one point!) and Steve as an increasingly disillusioned sceptic, and try to shoehorn it into a movie that hasn't done any of the groundwork to earn it.

But I'm sure that Marvel decided on Civil War for Cap 3 for two main reasons:

1. To get the fan reaction when they saw it was called "Civil War".

2. To have a big fight scene where the Avengers are all socking each other.

Not exactly the best creative process. Then they just shoved all of the pieces into the places they needed them to go, and the movie was a disappointment.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

Every charge made against Civil War the movie was leveled at the comic with regards to people acting out of character and things not making sense and the whole event being a cynical cash grab. Here are two rundowns of the comic from Ranker and AVClub. Whatever you think of the movie version, it's not like they ruined an undisputed masterpiece like Watchmen.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Every charge made against Civil War the movie was leveled at the comic with regards to people acting out of character and things not making sense and the whole event being a cynical cash grab. Here are two rundowns of the comic from Ranker and AVClub. Whatever you think of the movie version, it's not like they ruined an undisputed masterpiece like Watchmen.

I never said it was that good.  Personally, I'm not a fan of Civil War. I think Mark Millar is extremely overrated as a writer, and can't think of any of his work that I've really enjoyed. But the comic was set up better than the movie, particularly in terms of Tony and Steve taking the positions they did. 

18 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Was Serpant Society ever really planned? I always thought that was a working title to hide the Civil War Storyline? Didn't they even announce Serpant Society at the Phase 3 Launch Party and then immediately reveal that Civil War was the real Capt 3?

You might be right.  The timing seems suspect but it is possible they had the idea (or at least some form of what we eventually got) before.

On 4/24/2018 at 9:55 AM, ChelseaNH said:

"Kidnapped" is an interesting term for an active duty soldier operating in a war zone.

An a soldier of an allied nation, not an enemy combatant or neutral nation. Hydra was international, we got Levitation as the Soviet SSR equivalent in Agent Cartet and like S.H.I.E.L.D. we are left to belive had its own Hydra growing inside which presumably emerged after the Berlin Wall amd Soviet Union fell. kidnapping is an accurate term since he wasn't repatriated by the Soviets after recovering from his wounds but kept as a human test subject.

• Love 2

I remember Scarlett Johansson was pregnant during the filming of Age of Ultron, so that did limit what they could do with her. But the insipid, trite 'I'm a monster too, Bruce, why won't you go out with me?' thing was really annoying.  I don't mind seeing the character's softer side, and would like to see more of it in any possible Black Widow movie, but it has to be better than that.

Regarding a Black Widow movie, I've already suggested that it could be the first one with a female protagonist and female villains. If I were writing it, I would have Yelena Belova as a younger, more deadly version of the Black Widow, controlled by remnants of the Red Room project, led by Viper.  Natasha having to face off against her past, both figuratively and literally would be a good way to fill in her backstory while making a really fun movie.

Would I have liked Bucky in it as her sidekick? Yes, because I really loved their comic book relationship, but clearly it's never going to exist in the MCU. So just make it all women, all the time. Stick Maria Hill in there as Nat's support, and make it a no superpowers, spy movie.

• Love 1

Here's a question: does Ant-Man and the Wasp take place before or after Infinity War? My guess is before, because I can't imagine that the events of infinity War wouldn't have a major impact on Scott and his family. He may not have been involved in the fighting, but I think it's safe to say based on the ending of infinity War that he would have been impacted. I don't want to say more, cuz I don't want to spoil anyone. Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Here's a question: does Ant-Man and the Wasp take place before or after Infinity War?

I think it has to be prior to Infinity War. I think it's also why Captain Marvel will be set in the 90s.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

They lost me with praising Wheden for Nat's evolution.

You mean this part?

"Unfortunately, Black Widow’s run of solid appearances was brought to a screeching halt by 2015’s Avengers: Age Of Ultron"

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ChelseaNH said:

You mean this part?

"Unfortunately, Black Widow’s run of solid appearances was brought to a screeching halt by 2015’s Avengers: Age Of Ultron"

I stopped after the praising for The (first) Avengers Movie. I just don't think he did a good job with Nat in either movie (especially Ultron). I think the Russo Brothers have the best track record with Nat.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I stopped after the praising for The (first) Avengers Movie. I just don't think he did a good job with Nat in either movie (especially Ultron). I think the Russo Brothers have the best track record with Nat.

I thought Natasha was great in the first Avengers movie and she gained a whole lot of female fans after it. I don't remember any complaints at all about how Whedon wrote her after until Age of Ultron then people were suddenly like "Whedon's take on Natasha sucks!" and retroactively found all kinds of things wrong with Natasha in Avengers . My feeling is Whedon does a better job with a female character when he has an entire series with 22 episodes a season to explore than a single two hour movie. With Buffy Summers you saw both her strengths and her weaknesses, and was depicted as a strong but vulnerable, flawed but heroic fully fleshed out character.

Also from the AV Club:

No one in Marvel's Avengers universe has a character arc that compares to Tony Stark's

I agree that Tony Stark has the greatest character development of the MCU, through his solo movies, throught the Avengers and other character's movies.

Just as some were not happy about Whedon's take on Natasha in Age of Ultron, there are those who take issue with how the Russos depicted Tony in Civil War.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

They lost me with praising Wheden for Nat's evolution. I don't think Whenever did Nat any favors. I stand by my previous claim, The Russo Brothers are the only ones that can give Nat depth.

I'm going to have the UO, because why stop now, and say that if you take out the stuff about Natasha being sterilized as her 'graduation' from the Red Room, what she actually regrets is being turned into a remorseless killer, which is not that much different than her saying "I thought I knew whose lies I was telling" in WS. Which is not actually a bad thing, and and I don't think Joss meant for her to refer to herself as a monster in direct conjunction with not being able to have a kid. This is like saying most of the female characters have been dismissed as just love interests or overlooked in general, and that's just not true IMO.

As an added note, the conversation with Bruce happens pretty much right after Wanda inflicts the memory of the Red Room on Nat. Context matters, and again it wasn't that much different after nearly being killed in an explosion in Winter Soldier. At Sam's house, Natasha tells Steve that the reality was she'd only traded Shield for Hydra, that she thought she'd become more than the assassin she was intended to be. Something tells me if she'd mentioned the sterilization then, it either wouldn't be an issue or the credit the Russos get for writing Natasha with depth would never get mentioned.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 11

I have absolutely no problems with the bedroom scene whatsoever. Nat talks about being sterilized because a child might be more important to a mission or the state. She says it makes everything easier even killing and then calls herself a monster. It seemed obvious to me that her monstrousness was directly related to her remorselessness over killing. I guess maybe an extra line about how the Red Room had stripped away her humanity might have helped separate the two points. However, I was a huge Agent Carter fan and their brief flashback on the Red Room told me all I needed to know about the types of "monsters" they created there.

I think the biggest failing in Age of Ultron in conveying that point is that Natasha's dream sequence/flashback is too figurative and lyrical for a casual fan to get a true sense of why she thinks she's a monster.

Compare that with Agent Carter. We see friends sharing bread and it ends with one girl snapping the neck of the girl who was kind to her. It's much more obvious that the Red Room trains ruthless killers.

• Love 13

The Alamo Drafthouse is doing a specialty Avengers: Infinity War menu and I'm kind of disappointed with it. It is:

• Pizza...assemble--a sauce made from oven-roasted pepperoni pureed with green olives and herbed onions. Topped with pizza cheese and shaved Brussels sprouts, roasted bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes.
  • Hulking avocado burger--Monstrously meaty patties meet lean, green and super tasty avocado & lemon-green onion aioli.
  • We are Froot--a strawberry, peach, coconut and mango shake
  • Green Whiskey Smash aka a mint julep--Bourbon, lemon, mint, sugar.
  • The Most Beautiful Sunset in the World--Dark rum, coffee toddy, grapefruit, sparkling wine, bitters. 
  • The Widow's Sting--Rye whiskey, Grand Marnier, amaro, orange oil. 

https://drafthouse.com/news/eats-assemble-avengers-infinity-war-specials-are-here

I was really kind of hoping for a retrospective of all of the food in the MCU:

• An American cheeseburger--Iron Man
  • Strawberries, green smoothie, and donuts--Iron Man 2
  • Fondue, steak dinner, and schnapps--Captain America
  • Breakfast (coffee, pop-tarts, pancakes, eggs, and bacon)--Thor
  • Pizza and guarana soda--Incredible Hulk 
  • Shawarma, blueberries, and champagne--Avengers
  • Crab cakes--CA: Winter Soldier
  • Sea bass--Thor 2 (not this because it's over fished)
  • Tuna sandwich--Iron Man 3
  • Yarrow root--Guardians 2
  • Ice cream, waffles, and wine--Ant Man
  • Date loaf, plums, and paprikash--Civil War
  • Larb--Homecoming 
Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 1

Is it too soon to start speculating about Avengers 4? Do we know anything about it? I'm particularly interested to know if it picks up in the immediate aftermath of Infinity War or if there's any sort of a time Jump.

5 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I want to know if they are planning on making a Thor 4 since they basically have killed off everyone of importance in his story over the last few movies.

I strongly suspect Valkyrie and half of the refugees were allowed to leave before Thanos and his goons started having their fun with the remaining Asguardians, since that was his established MO.  So I think it's certainly possible, and probably even necessary, given what happened in IW.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Is it too soon to start speculating about Avengers 4? Do we know anything about it? I'm particularly interested to know if it picks up in the immediate aftermath of Infinity War or if there's any sort of a time Jump.

I think a lot of it will depend on how Captain Marvel and maybe to a lesser extent Ant-man and the Wasp ("There's an Ant-man and a Spiderman?") plays out.

One of the things I love to see in A4 (but we probably won't) is Queen Shuri. She's T'challas only heir. But as I think about it I wonder, can she even take the throne? She was supposed to be about 15 to 16 in Black Panther which canonically actually took place 2 years ago, right in the aftermath of Civil War. She might not be 18 yet. And if we assume Wakanda has the same age of majority as most of the rest of the world, she might not be able to take the throne. So who rules in her stead? I'm thinking either her mother will act as regent or either the council or possibly M'Baku.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

One of the things I love to see in A4 (but we probably won't) is Queen Shuri. She's T'challas only heir. But as I think about it I wonder, can she even take the throne? She was supposed to be about 15 to 16 in Black Panther which canonically actually took place 2 years ago, right in the aftermath of Civil War. She might not be 18 yet. And if we assume Wakanda has the same age of majority as most of the rest of the world, she might not be able to take the throne. So who rules in her stead? I'm thinking either her mother will act as regent or either the council or possibly M'Baku.

How can she rule, as the Black Panther, after Killmonger destroyed the heart shape herb. She can rule as Queen, though.  As we saw, in civil war, T'Chakka was King, while T'Challa was the Black Panther.  Perhaps, T'Challa's disappearance will only last for a couple of hours. Or better yet, the Panther Goddess, Bast, has T'Challa and has protected him from Thanos. I hope the writers remember that T'Challa, as the Black Panther, can commune with her.  T'Challa is very powerful, in his own right, but, the movie made it seem like his power, mostly came from the Vibranium suit.  

12 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I only meant as Queen, not as Black Panther. I'm sure the issues with the heart-shaped herb won't be addressed until BP2. 

True! I too would love to see Queen Shuri.  However, I do want to see Queen Nakia, at some point, ruling Wakanda with T'challa. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2

My theory on the herb is that there's more in the vibranium caves.  Erik only ordered the burning of the herbs that are tended to for the ritual, not for them to search and destroy any others growing in the wild.  Granted, that may be what his "burn it all" meant, and the growers subversively interpreted it to mean just the ones we saw, but I'm inclined to think that he's unaware that there's probably some growing wild.  I think that we'll see more of the herb (maybe in the third movie as the story wraps up) discovered/harvested from the caves.  It doesn't seem to require sunlight and is created from the vibranium, so it stands to reason that there's more.  What was burned was probably the best of the best, cultivated over the centuries since it first grew, and that's why it got special attention.

• Love 7

I also assume they save seeds and keep them separately from the herb itself.  Assuming the seeds survived and the growing time for the heart-shaped herb, they could have a new crop ready in time for BP2.

• Love 4

I have a theory/wish for the post-credits scene in Ant-Man and the Wasp:

Janet/Hank/Scott/Hope or some combination therof is in the Quantum Realm for whatever reason and all of sudden Peter Parker/Falcon/Dr. Strange/et al start showing up around them. Cut to credits with no explanation. 

Also my verision of the opening scene for A4, assuming at least some time has past:

It's Central Park, a beautiful day and we hear Pepper's voice telling a baby to 'walk to Daddy.' Camera moves back to show Tony and Pepper on the grass with a baby that is just starting to toddle between them. All of a suddent there is a knocking noise in the background and the scene freezes. It's that VR thing Tony was showcasing in Civil War (can't remember the name). A visibly tramatize and mourning Tony opens the door to find Cap on the other side, looking just as despondant. Tony snarls at him to leave him alone, he's not spending *that* much time in the VR thingy. Cap replies that he (Cap) spent six hours in there yesterday, talking to Bucky and dancing with Peggy. He's not judging. But Thor and Rocket are back from their latest intel gathering mission on Thano's location and the remaining team members are gathering. They walk away together, past a memorial wall that has Pepper's (among many, many others) name on it.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

I want to know if they are planning on making a Thor 4 since they basically have killed off everyone of importance in his story over the last few movies.

I feel like they're moving Thor over to Guardians of the Galaxy. However, Thor Ragnorak did do really well so maybe they aren't done with Thor as the lead character.

11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I feel like they're moving Thor over to Guardians of the Galaxy. However, Thor Ragnorak did do really well so maybe they aren't done with Thor as the lead character.

I think there is a comic storyline where Thor and his remaining people find a new home.  Chris Hemsworth has said he's game for another one, but you could be right that they might just include him as a subplot in a Guardian's movie.  I think they could realistically do either, but depending on how A4 goes, there does seem to still be some pretty big dangling plot points with him.  

Edited by Wynterwolf

Asgard and Asgardians in general have gone through many incarnations in the books so I can see them getting away with that sort of thing in the MCU. Hell, the books have done Ragnarok and then the gods were reborn in various places. It's how we got Lady Loki, after all. And Loki sacrificed himself at one point and came back as Kid Loki. (One of my favorite interactions was between him and Thor... Loki was on some forum with his Starkphone saying that someone called him a troll. Thor goes 'but you're half-giant.' And Loki's all 'I know!')

Planting Asgard over Oklahoma would be a fun one to see them try to pull off in the MCU, I must admit.

• Love 1
On April 29, 2018 at 12:24 AM, anna0852 said:

Is it too soon to start speculating about Avengers 4? 

Hell no!

If Captain Marvel is going to save the Avengers' butts, I propose she do it with a lady squad of Black Widow, Valkyrie (if she's still alive, please God), Nebula, Sharon Carter, Ramonda, Okoye, Nakia, Shuri, and the Wasp?

I will happily surrender all my money to Marvel if they do that.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I have a theory/wish for the post-credits scene in Ant-Man and the Wasp:

Janet/Hank/Scott/Hope or some combination therof is in the Quantum Realm for whatever reason and all of sudden Peter Parker/Falcon/Dr. Strange/et al start showing up around them. Cut to credits with no explanation. 

I have a suspicion that there will be background details indicating that Ant-Man and the Wasp is happening concurrently with Infinity War, and some of the supporting cast will get dusted in the end credits.

Regarding the Infinity War deaths, I think everyone is in agreement that the dusted characters will be back at the end of A4. However, I believe that all of the deaths will be reversed by the end of the movie. (For GoTG, I can't see a movie without Gamora. For Thor, the movie destroys the possibility of a Thor 4, and ruins the ending of Thor Ragnarok). My guess is that some of the surviving characters will permanently die in A4 to cause the reset. (Maybe something timey wimey  where bringing them back will create a paradox).

One of the channels I follow on YouTube (I think Hyper RPG but I’m not certain) had a review that included speculation that the running shot from the trailer (Cap, Bucky, Sam, Nat, Hulk, Okoye, T’Challa) may end up in 4. If there’s another battle after the dusting reversal then this may be true.