Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

Beast, because I actually think he works slightly better as an Avenger. He just works well anywhere, what a great character that has yet to be done justice onscreen.

Rick Jones. Bruce needs a friend that isn't a superhero. Or just some supporting characters, something.

Beast would be cool as an Avenger, as would his good friend Wonderman (aka Simon Williams), since we haven't really seen an MCU character who is a good guy but also uses his powers to advance his fame.

Rick showing up would be nice since he crosses over with so many MCU characters, not just Hulk but also Captain Marvel and Captain America.

• Love 1

I'm excited to see Coulson back!

Will it be weird, not weird or super weird watching an entire movie where Clark Gregg and Samuel L. Jackson are de-aged by Marvel's magical smoothing technology? It verged on uncanny valley with RDJ and Michael Douglas. We'll see I guess.

New posters:

• Love 1
On 3/22/2018 at 1:50 AM, Dee said:

With the MCU headed into its next big Phase, which superheroes do you think will be appearing next?

She-Hulk.  For the love of God, She-Hulk.

I'd love for her to go into the Netflix realm, just because I think her personality is too big to be contained by a two-hour run time.

• Love 4

With the MCU headed into its next big Phase, which superheroes do you think will be appearing next?

Sort of further to that I wonder what is the weirdest or most obscure character marvel could make a movie out of and still get a hit. I mean back in  the late 90's almost no one was reading Black Panther or Deadpool.

With that in mind I would kind of love to see a Thunderbolts movie, just Hawkeye and a bunch of criminals. Hell Zemo survived civil war, i wonder if they kept him alive for a reason.

• Love 1

If they could make Ant Man into a blockbuster, they could do it to almost any character. Scott Lang’s Ant Man was a nothing character with no discernible personality. Honestly it should’ve been The Wasp who was Avengers Chairwoman more often than not, a fun character, and a founding member of the Avengers. She’s really been shafted in the transition to screen.

Obscure candidates I’d pitch to film or TV:

X-Statix- Just plain surreal superhero satire weirdness. Hard to explain.

Doc Samson: In Treatment with powers. Strong as The Hulk, but works as a shrink.

Jamie Madrox- Multiple Man opens PI agency across town from Jessica Jones  

Strikeforce: Morituri- Completely disconnected universe. Humans get powers installed to fight alien invasion, but blow up within a year. 

Exiles - A collection of D list heroes from alternate dimensions go dimension hopping to fix wrongs. 

Captain Britain/Excalibur- Britain’s foremost superhero and friends from the X-verse. 

Thunderbolts, of course. They just don’t leave enough villains alive to make a team. 

Psi Force or DP7 from the New Universe. The two kinda good titles from that line, IMO. 

Young Avengers. Power Pack. Spider Girl. Netflix, jr line?

These are more wants than thinks.

I want:

• Young Avengers. Partially because I really want some queer superheroes, and Wicca and Hulkling are so gosh darn adorable. But also, I like the idea of second generation heroes.
  • Ms. Marvel. Again, for diversity and for the same reason as the Young Avengers, but also, Kamala Khan is frickin' awesome.
  • I'm of two minds about the Mutants. The MCU is pretty vast, and throwing the X-Men and various Mutant teams into the MCU seems like too much. OTOH, I'd be interested in rebooted X-Men.
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I call foul. Couldnt bring on Ming-Na Wen as Agent Melinda May? Come on Marvel, you bring back all the boys, bring back Coulson but don’t think May wouldnt have been involved in all this business in the nineties? Give Shield some female representation in the movies beyond Maria Hall(who isnt in this movie either...)? Coulson and May have a huge Shield fanbase, I’m bummed. I know, I know, don’t cross the TV and Movie streams but come on? Just a little? 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Not all the boys. Nothing against Coulson, but his kinda-sorta resurrection just makes me grumpier that they gacked Quicksilver because of legalities.

Also?

Oh, dear:

image.png.32a9667a22e7739e7ad87823a306a474.png

Coulson, Fury, Ronin, and Korath. You’re right, not all the boys...but in a movie about a woman super hero, would it have kiled Marvel to, I dont know, to bring in some females too? It’s not a knee-jerk, it’s a frustration that I want more female super hero representation in Marvel. May would have been a great and surprising addition. Where is Maria Hall? You would think with the trust Fury has with her, she would have been involved in some of his early adventures too.

• Love 4

Maria Hill is in Captain Marvel.

Kamala Khan would be great to see onscreen.

I imagine we'll also see the X-Men and the Fantastic Four when Marvel gets back the rights.

I know the Namor rights are tied up but I'd still love to see a World War 2 movie with Cap, the original Human Torch and Namor fighting actual Nazis, not Hydra.  Marvel's (or Timely Comics as it was known then) original three.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, starri said:

She-Hulk.  For the love of God, She-Hulk.

I'd love for her to go into the Netflix realm, just because I think her personality is too big to be contained by a two-hour run time.

She-Hulk could be great, I wonder if the rights are tied up in the same rights deal as her cousin though.

I bet they could do She-Hulk, although I can see her existing in the Netflix series instead of in the movies. She is technically tied up with Hulk, but if they can use Hulk from time to time as an Avenger, they should be able to use her too. That would be an awesome series, if probably a bit lighter than the rest of the Netflix shows. 

6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Can they do She-Hulk? I always get confused with who owns what. Disney should just back the money truck up to Universal, Sony etc and bring all the kiddies home.

The rights for She-Hulk ( along with the other Hulk related characters) are believed to bat Universal. Universal owns the distribution rights for any solo Hulk film. I guess this also means that they own the same for She-Hulk and any appearance in the MCU probably would have to have Universal blessing while not in a solo piece. But they probably own her fully (according to the chart below)

Here is a chart showing the updated character rights (as of the announcement of the Disney/FOX deal):

updated-marvel-character-ownership-right

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

image.png.fa978fff5d54c7f3ec60d60ca3d7468c.png

Let me start with, I do love that poster and would love it for my house. Also, my brain was saying Maria Hill, I have no idea why I typed Maria Hall. Glad she’s going to be in Captain Marvel, I hadnt seen that anywhere yet.

However, I decided tonight to do some tallying. I decided to see how outnumbered women are in the Marvel Movies. I went onto IMDB and decided to look at the top ten listed actors in all the Marvel Movies since Iron Man. I included all of the phases of Marvel, not including TV since Marvel movies rarely include the TV shows. Here’s what I data mined:

• In Phase One (Five movies), there were 9 women in the movie’s top ten billed actors, compared to 41 men. Every movie, except Captain America, had two women in their top ten. That percent is 18% compared to 82%
  • In Phase Two(Seven movies), there are now 16 women in the top ten billed actors, compared to 54 men. Cap 2 is the first movie to crack the two women rule with three. Guardians 2 and Ant-Man also have three women while Avenger 2 only has one. Scarlet Witch is the 11th billed actor in that movie, just missing the top ten. The final percentage was 22% to 77%
  • In Phase Three (Five movies) there are 15 women to the 35 men in the top ten billed actors. Spiderman and Black Panther have four women billed in the top ten actors. This percentage was 30% to 70%

The final numbers were 40 women compared to the 130...which is 23% to 76%. The trend is increasing for women. It’s exciting to see 30% of the top ten billed actors in the current phase of the movies.

But I still say that’s not good enough. We shouldn’t be satisfied with such uneven ratios of men and women in record breaking movies. And those were just the top ten billed actors. I bet my hat those numbers would change if we increased to the top twenty billed actors with the female percentage dropping. 

Will I stop seeing Marvel Movies? No. Too many of these characters have stolen my geeky heart. However, it doesn’t mean I can’t demand better, or ask for more women in the movies. If there was a Marvel Men movie poster like the one poster posted, it would be jam-crammed with men. Plus, none of those women in that poster lead their own movie other than Captain Marvel whose movie hasnt come out yet. For a lot of these movies, its a 1-4 ratio of women to men (in the top ten). Its noticeable how the movies are filled with dudes. And Peggy, who is a queen but also the largest figure in that poster, barely also had any females on her tv show. Her best female friend didn’t even make it to the second season!

By the way, I also kept track of white characters versus minorities in the movies in my spreadsheet too. Overall it was:

• 55% white men
  • 22% minority men
  • 18% white women
  • 6% minority women 

I know, it adds up to 101%. All of the math would round up the percentages to whole numbers. I can post the spreadsheet if anyone wants to see it, or which characters IMDB said were top billed.

So technically you’re right. There is female representation in Marvel Movies. I should have said “I would like to see a more even female to male character ratio (or even, crazier, a more women to men ratio) also with Marvel Movies with female leads.” Better?

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 14

Isn't Cobie Smulders a bit young for it to be believable that she would have been working for Fury in the 90s? According to the MCU wiki Maria Hill's bday is 4/4/1982. Maybe if there were some scenes in the present?

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 6
On 28/03/2018 at 4:15 AM, SnoGirl said:

By the way, I also kept track of white characters versus minorities in the movies in my spreadsheet too. Overall it was:

• 55% white men
  • 22% minority men
  • 18% white women
  • 6% minority women 

I know, it adds up to 101%. All of the math would round up the percentages to whole numbers. I can post the spreadsheet if anyone wants to see it, or which characters IMDB said were top billed.

I mean, that's probably on a par with representation in Marvel comics as a whole, so at least the movies reflect the Marvel world accurately (although that opens up a whole new line of debate). And honestly, there aren't that many more major characters to put on the big screen, after Captain Marvel.

She-Hulk and Dazzler are the only notable women who immediately come to mind, as having not been used (or misused) in the Marvel cinematic and TV universe. But to be fair, there aren't that many male characters yet to be used either. Some cameos and bit parts have been a waste, so there's always a chance they could be recycled with new actors. And there are some newer teams that have standout characters, like Kate Bishop and Cassie Lang in the Young Avengers (and incidentally, if they ever made that into a movie, they'd have their first openly gay superhero couple too, with Wiccan and Hulkling). But to find more ammunition for future phases of the Marvel movies, they're going to have to start building up some minor characters.

Before long, they'll be dredging through the likes of Songbird (who I like, actually), Speedball, Starfox and Moondragon, just to find new characters.

Still, I've been saying for years that I want a Black Widow movie, and we still get no more than rumours that it will ever happen. For that, they could give us Yelena Belova and Viper as villains.

Isn't Cobie Smulders a bit young for it to be believable that she would have been working for Fury in the 90s? According to the MCU wiki Maria Hill's bday is 4/4/1982. Maybe if there were some scenes in the present?

My guess? The movie starts in the 90s, and Carol gets her powers, but at some point she disappears off into space (as Carol Danvers did, on more than one occasion) and returns in the present day.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Still, I've been saying for years that I want a Black Widow movie, and we still get no more than rumours that it will ever happen. For that, they could give us Yelena Belova and Viper as villains.

Ooo, Viper. Gotta be honest... I would love to see Madripoor in the films. They could go as nuts with that locale as they did with Sakaar. Except Madripoor is like the Earth/Marvel version of Mos Eisley... a wretched hive of scum and villainy. It would be so. much. fun.

6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I mean, that's probably on a par with representation in Marvel comics as a whole, so at least the movies reflect the Marvel world accurately (although that opens up a whole new line of debate). And honestly, there aren't that many more major characters to put on the big screen, after Captain Marvel.

She-Hulk and Dazzler are the only notable women who immediately come to mind, as having not been used (or misused) in the Marvel cinematic and TV universe. But to be fair, there aren't that many male characters yet to be used either. Some cameos and bit parts have been a waste, so there's always a chance they could be recycled with new actors. 

Dazzler is off limits one of the mutants 

MCU has to do one of the following eventually:

Recast the stars since they can’t stay in shape and interested in playing these roles forever. 

Have new characters take over roles. 

Reboot the universe to insert new actors when the time comes. 

Create new star roles, either by digging deeper into the comics canon or by creating roles out of whole cloth.

Any of these are possible. Wonder what they’ll choose.

It’s interesting to watch them navigate the difference between the passage of time when it’s comics characters versus roles that actors play. 

A few other female characters they could use not yet mentioned: Spider Girl. Spider Woman (2 versions), Alpha Flight (Aurora, Vindicator, Purple Girl), Silver Sable. The Wasp could’ve been a major player by now if they handled the Avengers differently. She was a founding member as every bit the stalwart member as any other character. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Spider Girl. Spider Woman (2 versions), Alpha Flight (Aurora, Vindicator, Purple Girl), Silver Sable.

Spider Girl, Spider Woman and Silver Sable belong to Sony, infact Sony is making a Black Cat/Silver Sable movie in their Spider-man-less Spider Universe (along with Venom).

I was wondering about Alpha-Flight, I thought they might be at FOX with the X-Men.

Edited by Morrigan2575
3 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Recast the stars since they can’t stay in shape and interested in playing these roles forever. 

Create new star roles, either by digging deeper into the comics canon or by creating roles out of whole cloth.

It’s interesting to watch them navigate the difference between the passage of time when it’s comics characters versus roles that actors play. 

A few other female characters they could use not yet mentioned: Spider Girl. Spider Woman (2 versions), Alpha Flight (Aurora, Vindicator, Purple Girl), Silver Sable. The Wasp could’ve been a major player by now if they handled the Avengers differently. She was a founding member as every bit the stalwart member as any other character. 

There is one more option let the Ironman and Captain America characters die or go into retirement and pull deeper from their talent pool. Since the comics A-List was sold off to save Marvel from bankruptcy and RDJ took a B-list character who sparked a franchise you might just trust that the MCU producers can keep making deeper pulls and find the right actor for the right role. The minor characters of the second Guardians of The Galaxy has made it to their galactic tent-pole after all.

If the corporate deals go through and the rights revert to Marvel then using their actual A-list characters instead of finding a new actor for Ironman keeps the grand story rolling instead of stopping to reboot.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Fukui San said:

They managed to recast Spider-Man via reboot a couple of times, but I'm not sure how well it would work to try and do it in-universe. For example, having a new Tony Stark while your Black Widow and Scarlet Witch and Vision are the same. 

The potential saving grace is that most of the big names in the franchise seem to be close to the end of their attachment to the characters. Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth have all made noises about moving on. Jeremy Renner has never seemed too keen on being in the movies to begin with. And unless they give Scarlett Johansson her own movie, I can see her moving on as well.

And the comics have managed, on occasion to fit different characters into the hero costumes. With both Bucky and Sam Wilson having been Captain America, Hawkeye's mantle being handed to Kate Bishop, and I'm surer there have been one or two other people in the role of Iron Man. It just depends on whether you can do that without audiences rejecting it. An Avengers movie with most of the originals but Bucky in the Captain America role? Okay. A Captain America movie with Bucky as the star? Less steady ground.

The Avengers as a group have cycled members in and out easily enough, over decades of comic book publication, but they've usually had at least two or three characters who are seen as 'core' Avengers, to keep readers invested, and maintain the image of them as a genuine group.

10 hours ago, Raja said:

There is one more option let the Ironman and Captain America characters die or go into retirement and pull deeper from their talent pool. Since the comics A-List was sold off to save Marvel from bankruptcy and RDJ took a B-list character who sparked a franchise you might just trust that the MCU producers can keep making deeper pulls and find the right actor for the right role. The minor characters of the second Guardians of The Galaxy has made it to their galactic tent-pole after all.

If the corporate deals go through and the rights revert to Marvel then using their actual A-list characters instead of finding a new actor for Ironman keeps the grand story rolling instead of stopping to reboot.

The thing with Iron Man being a B-list character is that it's almost true, but not quite. No, Iron Man wasn't a tent-pole, franchise character, but he was a constant presence in the Avengers, and had his own book for most of Marvel's publication history.

Granted, he fell behind the X-Men (including Wolverine), Spider-Man, the Avengers as a group, the Fantastic Four, Captain America and the Incredible Hulk in the pecking order. But he was still an important figure.

They've already delved deeper into their catalogue to bring Ant-Man, the Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Strange to the big screen. And to bring Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, the Runaways and Cloak & Dagger to the small screen. There's only so far they can dig until they hit Black Knight and Tigra.

There are characters they could use, but how to introduce them is the biggest problem. The second problem is, a lot of the best characters who haven't been used much do belong to Fox. I already mentioned Dazzler, but there's also Jamie Madrox and his team, Captain Britain, Longshot, Gambit, an adult X-23, Rachel Summers, the New Mutants, the Young X-Men.  I don't know if Alpha Flight fall under Fox's control, but I would suspect they do, due to their ties to Wolverine. As you point out, getting the rights to all of those characters, and to the original X-Men, back off Fox would be the biggest, best deal they could make for their cinematic universe.

Because the rise of mutants as a new type of human would be the most natural transition point to go from older, established characters like Iron Man and Captain America to newer, younger ones. You could phase out the older characters, while bringing the younger ones in. And a Marvel controlled X-Men movie would get a lot of buzz, no matter whether it's another reboot.

Or, another alternative could be to just give superhero movies a rest for a while. Don't empty the bank completely. Make some non-superhero movies, with Marvel as the money behind them but not as the named production company. 

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

They managed to recast Spider-Man via reboot a couple of times, but I'm not sure how well it would work to try and do it in-universe. For example, having a new Tony Stark while your Black Widow and Scarlet Witch and Vision are the same. 

The potential saving grace is that most of the big names in the franchise seem to be close to the end of their attachment to the characters. Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth have all made noises about moving on. Jeremy Renner has never seemed too keen on being in the movies to begin with. And unless they give Scarlett Johansson her own movie, I can see her moving on as well.

The advantage comics have is the sliding scale timeline. So no matter how many issues have come out it has still only been like 10 years since the Fantastic Four got their powers. It has already been 10 years since the Iron Man movie,  and they seem to be keeping up that timeline in the movie universe. So if you recast too many times you eventually have to explain why Tony Stark isn't 60 when it has been 20 years since he invented the iron man suit.

• Love 1

I think Ant Man is a bit of a model for how to pass along the gauntlet. We're given a history that Hank was a big deal back in the day, but we're watching Scott's turn. I also think that because the MCU has so many facets, they can semiretire characters like Tony Stark for a couple of years and focus on other stuff. They are entering their cosmic, mystical, and likely mutant phase. They can back burner Cap and Iron Man for a couple of years. Maybe bring them back for a cameo or two. Throughout Civil War, I felt Nick Fury's absence because it really seemed like he would have an opinion on the Sokovia Accords. But it was also clear that Tony had morphed into that liaison for the team role. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The advantage comics have is the sliding scale timeline. So no matter how many issues have come out it has still only been like 10 years since the Fantastic Four got their powers. It has already been 10 years since the Iron Man movie,  and they seem to be keeping up that timeline in the movie universe. So if you recast too many times you eventually have to explain why Tony Stark isn't 60 when it has been 20 years since he invented the iron man suit.

They do need to explain the timeline for Tony Stark being the age he is when his father was an adult during World War II and building fancy war machines.

5 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

They do need to explain the timeline for Tony Stark being the age he is when his father was an adult during World War II and building fancy war machines.

That doesn't bother me at all.Howard Stark was a billionaire playboy, and with how the character has been portrayed in movies and in Agent Carter I can totally buy him have a much younger wife who could easily give birth to Tony some time in the 1960's when Howard in his 50's.

Plus that just adds to the distance and resentment Tony had for Howard, since he had a total old man dad who couldn't relate to him at all and was probably too old to do much physical playing with his son when Tony was a kid.

• Love 13
On 3/31/2018 at 6:51 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

That doesn't bother me at all.Howard Stark was a billionaire playboy, and with how the character has been portrayed in movies and in Agent Carter I can totally buy him have a much younger wife who could easily give birth to Tony some time in the 1960's when Howard in his 50's.

Plus that just adds to the distance and resentment Tony had for Howard, since he had a total old man dad who couldn't relate to him at all and was probably too old to do much physical playing with his son when Tony was a kid.

It also helps explain Tony in Iron Man 1. It suggests that Tony had idealized the younger more libertine Howard Stark and tried to emulate that. 

• Love 1

Ugh... which Secret Wars? The one where the Beyonder takes everyone to fight it out? The second one with the Beyonder?  The one involving the collision of the multiverse?

And given that Secret Wars was the result of a focus group saying that kids responded well to the words 'war' and 'secret' can we just nope ourselves right out of that?

Are they going to try to use this as a means of bringing the X-Men into the MCU because even in Secret Wars the X-Men refused to be categorized with everyone else. I think the only part I legit like about the Secret Wars was Magneto and Dr. Doom getting grouped up with Red Skull and Not. Having. It.

Especially Magneto. 

12 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Ugh... which Secret Wars? The one where the Beyonder takes everyone to fight it out? The second one with the Beyonder?  The one involving the collision of the multiverse?

And given that Secret Wars was the result of a focus group saying that kids responded well to the words 'war' and 'secret' can we just nope ourselves right out of that?

Are they going to try to use this as a means of bringing the X-Men into the MCU because even in Secret Wars the X-Men refused to be categorized with everyone else. I think the only part I legit like about the Secret Wars was Magneto and Dr. Doom getting grouped up with Red Skull and Not. Having. It.

Especially Magneto. 

The one where Spider-Man teaches the Beyonder how to use the bathroom, obviously. Appropriately enough, that was number 2.

8 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Well, not everyone thinks that for starters...

Well, everyone should know that my tastes and opinions are the only correct ones. :)

• Love 1

Sebastian Stan was at WizardWorld Portland this past weekend, here is his full panel... it's pretty hilarious (they are just chatting in the beginning because the Platinum VIPs were in there first, then the Gold VIPs were let in and then the General Admission, so when they start talking about World War Z, that's when the GA people were coming in .  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

10 days :-( I don’t want my Marvel characters to be hurt or die. I’m so scared. 

I've been consciously avoiding the movie thread, because I don't even want to see speculation about anybody dying. My heart can't take it.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I've been consciously avoiding the movie thread, because I don't even want to see speculation about anybody dying. My heart can't take it.

Me too. I'll catch up after the movie. 

• Love 1

I love the image of this, the kids putting Bucky's hair in that bun.  I can just imagine them braiding it, too.  I also love that they thought about it and talked about it, and considered the logistics of Bucky only having one arm... <3

• Love 10
On 4/17/2018 at 11:10 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I've been consciously avoiding the movie thread, because I don't even want to see speculation about anybody dying.

I've been looking at the thread because until the movie is released, it's all speculation anyway, but I don't want to see any more clips because of how much they give away now a days.  Wednesday the 25th until we see it on the 28th is going to be miserable for me on FB and other sites because I'm going to be so afraid of being spoiled.  I may just try to stay off of certain social media sites altogether.

• Love 1