Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

I watched that video too, but personally I think it was just a scene shot for the trailer. One thing I noticed is that Marvel's gotten pretty good at changing scenes in the trailers to avoid spoilers. We saw that in Thor Ragnarok with all the trailers showing Thor with two eyes. One thing I noticed after the movie is that all of the trailer scenes of Thanos only show him with the first two stones. (Which certainly helped when we got to Knowhere).

6 minutes ago, Captain Carrot said:

I watched that video too, but personally I think it was just a scene shot for the trailer. One thing I noticed is that Marvel's gotten pretty good at changing scenes in the trailers to avoid spoilers. We saw that in Thor Ragnarok with all the trailers showing Thor with two eyes. One thing I noticed after the movie is that all of the trailer scenes of Thanos only show him with the first two stones. (Which certainly helped when we got to Knowhere).

Interesting though, there's also the scene where Steve, Nat, Sam, Vision and Wanda are meeting Rhodey after they've saved Vision, and there was a still of that scene a while back, but it was definitely Captain Marvel's uniform behind Steve, not Wanda.  So, I'm guessing there will be some do overs in A4 of identical scenes, and that's part of why they filmed them at the same time, because they needed facial hair, etc. to match.  

• Love 1
On 4/30/2018 at 8:31 PM, Wynterwolf said:

Interesting though, there's also the scene where Steve, Nat, Sam, Vision and Wanda are meeting Rhodey after they've saved Vision, and there was a still of that scene a while back, but it was definitely Captain Marvel's uniform behind Steve, not Wanda.  So, I'm guessing there will be some do overs in A4 of identical scenes, and that's part of why they filmed them at the same time, because they needed facial hair, etc. to match.  

That was debunked.

• Love 1

If Captain Marvel is set in the 90s, does this mean we'll get to see Peggy Carter again? And maybe this time interacting with Nick Fury? Cuz I'll go see the movie just for that scene. We know she was active with Shield as late as 1989, as seen in Ant-Man.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

If Captain Marvel is set in the 90s, does this mean we'll get to see Peggy Carter again? And maybe this time interacting with Nick Fury? Cuz I'll go see the movie just for that scene. We know she was active with Shield as late as 1989, as seen in Ant-Man.

Nothing has leaked out about her. Some secrets have held in MCU products 

6 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Right!? They have to at least mention her, but this really is a golden opportunity to actually include her (as well as the fully sighted Fury). 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Gawd, I hope so. I want Peggy back in Marvel Universe.

• Love 8

I wasn't going to, but since we have to have this debate until the end of time anyway:

On 5/4/2018 at 6:28 PM, Dee said:

Steve didn't act outside of the law until Civil War, and even during Civil War, Steve tries meeting Tony halfway until Tony makes it clear he has no problem steamrolling everyone else to meet his own needs.

Prior to that debacle, Steve was all about the Avengers working as a team. A fact which Tony himself references at the end of Ultron.

He didn't? Without getting into whether it's right or not or even details about Civil War, Yoko Bucky was an internationally wanted fugitive before Zemo started the ball rolling for everyone to really be trying to find him, and though Steve of course turns out to be completely right about the setup, it's Sam who's all, "Oh, so just like that we're supposed to be cool?" once Barnes snaps out of it. Which is a valid question, and I think it's worth noting that it's Bucky who decides to take himself out of the equation, that even though he was innocent, he was also dangerous. Too dangerous to be allowed to wander around loose even though I'm sure Steve would have been glad to break however many more laws to keep him free.

• Love 4
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

He didn't?

Prior to Civil War, Sam's attempts at finding Bucky, with Steve's explicit approval, are unsuccessful.

However, after being confronted by Rhodey, and the Bucharest cops, Sam & Steve, along with Bucky, peacefully submit to authority. They argue very little about Bucky being remanded into custody, and are fine with Bucky serving due process under the proper channels.

It isn't until Tony lets it slip that he's indefinitely imprisoning Wanda, that Steve realizes Tony has no intention of negotiating a fair compromise for all parties involved. And even after all those misgivings, Steve still considers contacting Tony after Zemo breaks Bucky out of lock up, until he & Sam realize their current circumstances are not in their favor.

Sam's statement happens after Zemo triggered Bucky. Once Sam knows the truth behind the Winter Soldier program, and he sees the distinction between Bucky and The Winter Soldier, he's just as willing as Steve to prove Bucky's innocence.

While it's true that Bucky agrees to return to cryo, it's notable that Steve doesn't fight Bucky about the decision, and once Bucky is safely ensconced in Wakanda, Steve spends the intervening years working with Sam & Natasha, while keeping tabs on Wanda. 

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3

I was just watching Civil War the other day and if I recall, Steve picked up the pen when Tony said that Bucky would go to the states(I think he also said to a psychiatric facility)  instead of serving time in a Wakandan prison. So I think if Tony wouldn't have said anything about Wanda, Steve would have signed.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I wasn't going to, but since we have to have this debate until the end of time anyway:

He didn't? Without getting into whether it's right or not or even details about Civil War, Yoko Bucky was an internationally wanted fugitive before Zemo started the ball rolling for everyone to really be trying to find him, and though Steve of course turns out to be completely right about the setup, it's Sam who's all, "Oh, so just like that we're supposed to be cool?" once Barnes snaps out of it. Which is a valid question, and I think it's worth noting that it's Bucky who decides to take himself out of the equation, that even though he was innocent, he was also dangerous. Too dangerous to be allowed to wander around loose even though I'm sure Steve would have been glad to break however many more laws to keep him free.

Was he though? There's is nothing in MCU canon to suggest that the authorities are actively searching for Bucky or that they even knew he's alive or on the loose prior to CW.

Steve only stepped outside the law to 1) take Bucky in because "if he's that far gone" he's the one most capable of doing it without dying and 2) prevent the authorities from executing their extrajudicial kill order. That last bit is something Steve would've stepped in on for anyone.

Let's not forget that two days after signing the accords for which he was so gung-ho, Tony himself was breaking them because they wouldn't let him do what he wanted to do.

50 minutes ago, festivus said:

I was just watching Civil War the other day and if I recall, Steve picked up the pen when Tony said that Bucky would go to the states(I think he also said to a psychiatric facility)  instead of serving time in a Wakandan prison. So I think if Tony wouldn't have said anything about Wanda, Steve would have signed.

Tony was making promises he had no business making. The deleted scene shows Bucky's extradition to Wakanda (for probable execution) was a done deal. RDJ said in an interview Tony was saying anything so he could "win."

Edited by scriggle
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Dee said:

and are fine with Bucky serving due process under the proper channels.

Also to be noted that when Steve does inquire about legal counsel for Sam and himself, he is laughed off by Ross.

Regarding Bucky, this is the dialogue

Tony Stark: Sometimes I wanna punch you in your perfect teeth. But I don't wanna see you gone. We need you, Cap. So far, nothing's happened that can't be undone, if you sign. We can make the last 24 hours legit. Barnes gets transferred to an American psych-center... instead of a Wakandan prison.

Why is Barnes getting psychiatric attention dependant on Steve signing the accords? 

• Love 9

I should mention that there is a subplot in the recent season of Jessica Jones, where, without giving away too many spoilers. Jessica is trying to help a recently arrested person with powers. Her lawyer says that the arrested person has basic rights, and the cops basically laugh and say her powers immediately make her rights as an American citizen void, and that seemed to be true. They later threaten to send her to The Raft, and it sounds like its a well known place to lock up powered people where they dont get a trial, and are shut up and never seen again. 

It seems like thats what the Accords have turned out to be, especially from the perspective of the non Avenger people. Just like Steve suspected, its an excuse to either use people with powers as weapons, or take away their rights and lock them up. I dont think thats what Tony wanted, but its certainly what Ross wanted. 

• Love 7

It's a shame that the films have not done a better job of connecting to the Netflix and tv shows because the shows have done a better job at indicating that there is a potential superpowered arms race happening. And in response to what happened in Avengers, governments and other organizations have started ramping up their enhancement programs--super serums, cybernetics, inhumans, magic, and hi-tech weapons. Including that info would have made Tony's position slightly more defensible, instead of Thunderbolt Ross' lame-o critique about people dying when the Avengers save the day and using the dumb examples of the Battle of New York and the fall of HYDRA at the triskellion. In the former, the Avengers saved the world from an alien invasion and in the latter from an ancient death cult that was planning on killing thousands.

Using stuff from the tv shows would also make Steve's position ridiculously naive because while he might trust the judgement of the other Avengers it makes it pretty obvious that there is a not insubstantial group of people who are freaking the fuck out and trying to create their own versions of walking talking nukes (their own versions of Wanda).

The How It Should Have Ended for Civil War makes it pretty clear that the biggest objections to the Avengers are actually about Tony. But bringing the TV stuff in would have bolstered Tony's argument.

• Love 3
(edited)

Robert Downey Jr. Reveals Five Original Avengers Got Matching Tattoos

“Five of the original six Avengers got a tattoo,” Robert Downey Jr. exclusively told EW. “And the sixth was the tattoo artist, who gave it to five of us, the one who opted out being Mark Ruffalo. It was (Scarlett) Johansson’s idea, and she and (Chris) Evans did it in New York. Then, their New York guy, Josh Lord, who is amazing, flew out to LA, he did me, did (Jeremy) Renner, and then we just bullied (Chris) Hemsworth into doing it, and he got it.

“And each one of us drew a line on the artist with his own tattoo gun and it was a total massacre. Each of us contributed to giving the tattoo artist the sixth tattoo that he designed for us. By the way, he’s got another one on him that Scarlett did, which is beautiful, which is crazy, because the line she drew on him, which was just supposed to be a straight line, looked like a lightning bolt. It was a mess.”

Edited by Vera
  • Love 4
(edited)

I'm not really into ink. If the cast felt like they wanted to commemorate their experience, good for them. Though I don't really like the suggestion that they may have bullied Hemsworth into his tattoo. Also I think Scarlett's and Evans' other tattoos are terrible and would never take either of their recommendations on an artist.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, blueray said:

Good for them. I know that is a common practice among movie series. They did it LOTR. I hope they didn't bully anyone into it though.

Yeah, i was just thinking how the LoTR crew did the same thing. I can see why and think it's totally a cool thing to commemorate. When you think about it, this is 10 years of RDJs life, and something like 6-8 years for the others.

• Love 2
(edited)

I originally wrote this in the IW thread but, think it's more MCU related than IW. 

I assume Tony will play a huge role in Avengers 4. Like it or lump it, the MCU was built on the shoulders of Tony/RDJ. It's only fitting that the culmination of the first 10 years would rest on Tony/RDJ's shoulders. 

I imagine Avengers 4 will be a passing the gauntlet (so to speak) to the new generation (Ant-Man/Wasp, Black Panther, Capt Marvel, Spiderman (for as long as they have him)).

The only thing I suspect might play into an ending or last minute post credit scene is the Fox/Disney buy out. While I don't expect a Hugh Jack/Patrick Stewart post credit scene (although, how cool would that be?), I think (hope) we might get a death reversal tied to X-Men (MCU Quicksilver?).

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I assume Tony will play a huge role in Avengers 4. Like it or lump it, the MCU was built on the shoulders of Tony/RDJ. It's only fitting that the culmination of the first 10 years would rest on Tony/RDJ's shoulders. 

I think so too. There's a reason Strange gave up the time stone to keep him alive, he'll be the key in fixing this. I also don't think that Tony will die in A4, but I do think he'll retire. That way we could get some cameos from time to time, because you're right, this whole thing was built on his shoulders.

• Love 4
(edited)
19 minutes ago, festivus said:

There's a reason Strange gave up the time stone to keep him alive, he'll be the key in fixing this.

I don't think he'll be the key by himself, but I think Strange saw that he is a necessary piece.  I think all the original Avengers will each be a necessary piece.  It's imperative that Tony be involved, but one of the main ongoing arcs for his character is that he still thinks he has to, and should, do nearly everything by himself.  And I'm not saying he hasn't played well with others occasionally, but his instinct is to just do things himself, not actually work with other people unless they agree with him.  He doesn't handle disagreement well, and as has been pointed out (even by Nat on screen) he has a bit of an ego problem.  I think the key is going to be Tony letting Steve take point on making the plan.  Steve's strength is tactics, Tony's is the technical aspects, and the other all have their strengths too.  And they're family.  As Steve said, they need to face this together... it's the only way they're going to win (like they did against the Chitari in the first Avengers).  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 3

Yeah, I had originally wrote a big part in fixing this and I changed it to the key, but I agree that they'll all be working together. I just used key because, yeah, the MCU did start with Tony.

3 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

I think the key is going to be Tony letting Steve take point on making the plan.  Steve's strength is tactics, Tony's is the technical aspects, and the other all have their strengths too.  And they're family.  As Steve said, they need to face this together... it's the only way they're going to win (like they did against the Chitari in the first Avengers).  

Yep, they've got to repair Steve and Tony's friendship before Steve bites it for good. I do think Steve isn't going to make it. I was thinking about A1 and Tony did sacrifice himself there so I think it will be Steve doing it in A4. As much as that is going to kill me. 

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, festivus said:

I do think Steve isn't going to make it.

Steve was "killed" in the comics too, shot and killed and seemed really all dead... but he wasn't.  ;-)  And I think that will always be an issue for the Russos if Steve Rogers does end up 'dying', because there is significant comic history that he isn't actually dead.  There will always be the expectation that he'll come back, and that Steve (and Chris) will show back up at some point, no matter how definitive the Russsos say his death is. 

Personally, I'm not worried either way, because I've already decided that even if he 'dies', I'm still going to use comic canon as headcanon.  But I don't have any expectation that we'll see Chris as Steve after A4.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
2 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

Personally, I'm not worried either way, because I've already decided that even if he 'dies', I'm still going to use comic canon as headcanon.  But I don't have any expectation that we'll see Chis as Steve after A4.  

I don't either and I've already made my peace with Cap's death or "death" because I'm about 99.9% sure it's going to happen. The person I'm all worried about now is Nat. 

9 hours ago, festivus said:

Yeah, I had originally wrote a big part in fixing this and I changed it to the key, but I agree that they'll all be working together. I just used key because, yeah, the MCU did start with Tony.

Yep, they've got to repair Steve and Tony's friendship before Steve bites it for good. I do think Steve isn't going to make it. I was thinking about A1 and Tony did sacrifice himself there so I think it will be Steve doing it in A4. As much as that is going to kill me. 

I thinking Steve is going to be the death in the next one too. He makes sense as he had been a main character in many of the movies. Then Tony can marry Pepper and retire. I also think that they better have them make up toward the beginning of the movie and not pull a Sun/Jin. Where they have a scene together than die the next one.

• Love 6

Thinking about what might happen in A4 I wonder if we mightbget an ending like Operation Galactic Storm. For those who didn't read that massive cross over, it was the Kree and another alien race at war. In the end the leader of the Kree (a giant head in a giant jar (comics are weird)) committed basically an act of genocide against a bunch of planets and killed a ton of people including Kree. When the Avengers stopped him a faction of Avengers (led by Iron Man) decided to execute him, which led to a bunch of conflict and drama

I am wonder if the next movie could be a situation where they stop Thanos, get the gauntlet but he isn't dead. What would they do with him? There is no more Asgardian prison and I don't think the Raft can hold Thanos. I could easily see a situation where a bunch of Avengers decide to kill Thanos after the fact. Probably not Tony but I could see some going through with it, causing others to quit and setting up drama for the next phase. 

• Love 1
(edited)

‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Marches Toward $600M Profit; How The Russo Brothers Mapped Out The Marvel Hit

Last weekend, Disney’s Avengers: Infinity War broke a profit in its theatrical window after just 10 days, a box office triumph uncommon with many rival studio movies, yet increasingly common for the Marvel and Lucasfilm titles.

While Disney does not disclose or comment on the profitability of its films, our financial analysts figure that Infinity War by the end of its run stands to make close to $600 million after all ancillaries, based off a final global gross of $1.88 billion.

Whether Infinity War gets to $2 billion worldwide depends on its ability to generate 65% of its global gross overseas in the weeks ahead. That’s reasonable given how Deadpool 2 and Solo: A Star Wars Story largely skew domestic. Then there’s the case of China, and though we’ve heard that Infinity War is hot there on social media and advance ticket sales, Marvel is still a growing brand in the territory with its highest-grossing pic to date being Captain America: Civil War ($207.7M), a distance from local hits like Wolf Warrior 2 ($946.4M) and Detective Chinatown 2 ($563.3M).

Pics grossing $2 billion typically occur during the Christmas holidays given the limited amount of blockbuster competition. Nonetheless, our analysts are figuring a worldwide swing between $1.75B-$2B for Infinity War.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1
(edited)

Exciting! An oscar winner -- Brie Larson -- and 4 oscar nominees -- Jude Law, SLJ, Djimon Hounsou, and now Annette Benning in one movie! Not bad for Marvel's first female superhero movie. 

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, JustaPerson said:

Exciting! An oscar winner -- Brie Larson -- and 4 oscar nominees -- Jude Law, SLJ, Djimon Hounsou, and now Annette Benning in one movie! Not bad for Marvel's first female superhero movie. 

It continually blows my mind how deep the level of talent in the MCU is. They have two Sherlock Holmes's, two Dr. Watsons, and if you count TV 2 Lemony Snickets.

• Love 3
(edited)

Found this on tumblr about the group tattoo:

tumblr_p8hem4oC7c1syybeuo1_1280.jpg

Also this: Chris Evans & Scarlett Johansson. Chris tatooing the tattoo artist:

Edited by scriggle
added vid
  • Love 4

This would never and could never happen, but this is my suggestion for the marketing campaign for Avengers 4: Reunite casts of other franchises to film scenes of what looks like new sequels, then have half the cast crumble into dust. Title goes up: "Avengers 4: Reign of Thanos" or whatever.

"Harry, it's been 10 years. There's been no sign of any activity-"
"Ron, I'm telling you. Something is coming our way. Something big!"
"Surely we'd be wise to at least look into it. I'll cast a spell of-"
"Hermione! I don't feel well!"
"Harry? What's wrong?"

Harry crumbles into dust.

"Harry!"
"Hermione?"
"Not now, Ron, Harry just vanished!"
"I know, love, but you look a bit-"

Hermione crumbles into dust.

"Hermione? Harry?"

Title: Coming Soon. Avengers 4.

• Love 12

Avengers 4: Operation Save the Multiverse

It turns out that the Snappening not only affected the people of the MCU, but affected the entire multiverse, with characters from carious franchises all disappearing into ash, and no one knows why. Now, the heroes from all over the multiverse must team up to defeat Thanos and save the lives of trillions! 

That would be a freaking amazing marketing campaign. Or a fanfic. Someone get on that, internet!

• Love 1

Considering Disney's franchises and reach, it really wouldn't be that far off of a possibility.  Hell, if they really want to just ruin everyone's childhood and scar kids for life, they've got plenty options here!

Buzz: "Woody, I don't feel so good.

Woody:  "BUZZ!  What is going on with you?!"

Buzz disappears

Mr. Potato Head: "What in the heck is going on here?!  He just vani..."

Mr. Potato Head disappears

Woody: "Potato!  Not you too."

Hamm: "Hey, guys!  You think it has something to do with this purple guy with that shiny gauntlet and..."

Coins goes everywhere after Ham turns to dust

Rex: "OH NOOO!  WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!"

Thanos: "Not all.  Just half.  Perfectly balanced."

Scene fades out to an ominous Randy Newman song.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Considering Disney's franchises and reach, it really wouldn't be that far off of a possibility.  Hell, if they really want to just ruin everyone's childhood and scar kids for life, they've got plenty options here!

Buzz: "Woody, I don't feel so good.

Woody:  "BUZZ!  What is going on with you?!"

Buzz disappears

Mr. Potato Head: "What in the heck is going on here?!  He just vani..."

Mr. Potato Head disappears

Woody: "Potato!  Not you too."

Hamm: "Hey, guys!  You think it has something to do with this purple guy with that shiny gauntlet and..."

Coins goes everywhere after Ham turns to dust

Rex: "OH NOOO!  WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!"

Thanos: "Not all.  Just half.  Perfectly balanced."

Scene fades out to an ominous Randy Newman song.

In this case it'd be a Thanos action figure.

• Love 2

Hey, maybe that's really what happened to Luke in TLJ. Alternately, Solo ends with Han, Chewie, or Lando getting dusted. Just confuse the hell out of the whole audience.

• Love 2