Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Food Truck Race - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 8/1/2023 at 7:00 PM, Pietr said:

Serious producer hijinks if they sold over 100 $32 Pink Tacos

sorry, but it was a woman empowerment event of some sort.  ( I forget what exactly)  and the sexual innuendo of "pink taco"  was perfect for the event.  I totally believe that they sold that many

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

sorry, but it was a woman empowerment event of some sort.  ( I forget what exactly)  and the sexual innuendo of "pink taco"  was perfect for the event.  I totally believe that they sold that many

When they announced the final was at a women’s empowerment event, it really cemented that the finale was predetermined in advance.

There is no way the Boston Italian guys, or The Bald Guy were going to a finale that was more a social justice episode than an actual food truck competition. This was obviously planned well in advance, and just makes the season even worse.

Edited by MajorWoody
  • Like 7
  • Applause 2

I haven't watched this for a couple of seasons. I tried again this season and I just couldn't get into it. I stopped like 4 episodes in. I really miss them taking the trucks across the country to different states. I think that food network is in serious financial trouble and the shows have really gone down hill. Every time I try to watch something on here  its always Guy Fierrie (sp) doing everything but cooking. Can he even cook? Sorry for the rant. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, margol29 said:

Every time I try to watch something on here  its always Guy Fierrie (sp) doing everything but cooking. Can he even cook?

Yes, he can. They gave him and stand and stir cooking show when he won Food Network Star. It was a decent show. He's obviously a ratings draw or he wouldn't be on all the time. Not defending him, just noting the reality. The days of FN showing actual cooking mostly disappeared years ago. Now it's all competitions and shows like Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.

• Like 4

Just wanted to shout out a spotting of several Great Food Truck Road Race alumni on the new Netflix docuseries "You Are What You Eat." I literally recognized Pamela and Wendy (from the South African truck Amawele’s) from their bickering and talking over each other, but one of the other sets of twins (it's a twin study) is apparently from Season 7 (Grilled Cheese All Stars)

• Useful 2
(edited)

A new season of the GREAT FOOD TRUCK RACE premieres Sunday June 30 at 8PM ET/PT hosted by Tyler Florence.

The race  returns with nine teams starting at the NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston and culminates in at the renowned South Beach Wine and Food Festival in Miami on Sunday, August 4.

The teams competing are:

• Argentina’s Empanadas - Wichita, Kansas (Carolina Freeman, Paola Mentis, Chad Freeman)

• Bao Bei - Washington DC (Kevin Hsieh, Cody Hoover, Zakary Keres)

• Cooks with Passion - Atlanta, Georgia (Andrew Bernadine, Terry Jones, Jasmine Smith)

• Down to Get Tacos - Gilbert, Arizona (Karina Wollangk, Kiana Wollangk, Oz Gudino)

• Fishnet - Baltimore, Maryland (Ferhat Yalcin, Uswa McDowell, Keyia Yalcin)

• Kalye - New York, New York (Rob Mallari-D’Auria, Barry Jacinto, Mark Besanna)

• Plates on Deck - Davenport, Florida (Ken James, Ziomara Taveras, Samuel Jenkins)

• SOLA Po'Boys - Los Angeles, California (Serrano Barnes, Barenese Butler, Randy Butler)

• Wally’s Waffles - Chicago, Illinois (Wally Strzepka, Maggie Strzepka, Joe Caiafa)

Edited by RealityCheck
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
(edited)

Cooks With Passion is the most generic name for a food truck I've ever heard and clearly were wholly unprepared to run a food truck. 

Not sure that I'm liking this team concept; I agree with the woman from the Sopa truck that I don't want my success in a competition to be based on what another truck does or doesn't sell or how incompetent they are.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 7

First episode of Season 17.   The food sounds great for everyone. 

In a time where everyone's phone has maps available, how does on truck get lost? Cooks With Passion (CWP) managed.    I can relate to that.   First stop Houston, and they wonder why business is show, but everyone's wearing coats, and look chilly anyway.   

Bottom Two teams after the first day were Bao Bei and Kalye. Second challenge is to do the best dish between the two teams. 

First team to go home is:  Kalye

They'll break up into two squads

Challenge is for each truck to sell five plates each.  

Team 1-Star Squad-Cooks With Passion (lead truck), Wally's Waffles,  Argentina Empanada, Fishnet.

Team 2-Stripes Squad-Plates on Deck (lead truck) , Sola Po'Boys,  Bao Bei, Down to Get Tacos , 

Squads will team up to compliment each other.  They have to sell five plates each from the teams, and help each other to get the challenge of five plates completed.   Team 2 wins the challenge, and $100 for each team.  

Medals for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, win money and medals to take to the next city.Fishnet 3rd place $100, Plates on Deck 2nd place $200, Wally's Waffles in  1st place, $300.

Next team that normally would have to leave is:   Bao Bei, but won't go home because Tyler doesn't want to eliminate two teams in the first episode. 

Next week they compete in Galveston

• Like 4

My friend’s nephew is part of Wally’s Waffles so I will be rooting for them. I thought the first episode was kind of confusing on how things were judged. I can’t believe the Bao truck will get by not making Bao!

• Like 5
(edited)

Most of the dishes in the first round looked very good.  I hope that continues.  

There were a frustrating number of equipment problems, especially for a first episode.  It seems like there should be a mechanic of some kind available to help.  Maybe there is and we just don't see it.  I realize a food truck would have to deal with complications in real life but setbacks like that in a competition, especially in a "new" truck,  don't feel quite fair.

I liked the bao guys and the waffle team right off the bat.  I was hoping CWP would lose and get sent home.  I don't like bushy beards on people working around food but what really turned me off was the guy throwing the shrimp in the garbage right in front of the other team.  That was really poor-spirited.  I didn't dislike anyone else.  So far.

What I missed was Food Truck Road Trip! at the beginning.  I understood why they left that out last season because they didn't really go anywhere but they're traveling this time.  I wanted to say it with the them.  :)

Edited by mlp
Add a comment.
  • Like 11

I thought the food for the initial taste test challenge looked really good.

However, some of the teams are already starting to fall apart and it's only the first city.  At least it seems 'fair' that none of the teams have food truck experience so they're all on a level playing field in that respect.  I wish the Filipino team hadn't been eliminated so soon, but I get it that they wanted an even number of teams so they could have 'squads' (so why start with an odd number?).  

All of the teams seemed to do fairly well as they all had over $1,000 in sales.

• Like 7
(edited)

So I do feel like this is more promising than the last couple of seasons have been. I like that they're finally traveling again, both because that's more fun to watch and because it presents a challenge for the teams, versus one truck being allowed to park at the same location every episode and establish a customer base. Also, no one seems loathsome yet, which is also a huge step up from last season!

I kind of wanted Bao Bei to stay simply because I want to know if they're actually going to manage to make bao at some point. If they didn't have time to make the buns properly on this first stop, well.....the schedule's not getting easier, guys.... I kept thinking they should've called themselves The Night Market or something instead. I did like them overall, though. The part where the K-pop fan girls discovered them was amusing.

Edited by lavenderblue
  • Like 9

I do find the guy from Cooks With Passion to be pretty objectionable. Hopefully they're not long for this competition. But the bao guys are toast if they can't, as Tyler said, figure it out. 

• Like 5

If none of the teams have food truck experience, how do they all have one person who knows how to drive the truck? Are they given a crash course on the truck before competition? The generator goes out and the one guy knew how to fix it. The fryer isn't on and the guy knew where to look to solve the problem.

So far the Fishmarket Tornado and the So LA guy seem a bit abrasive and stubborn. I would not want to be on a truck with them since that's not the way to handle stress.

Wish they had an astronaut judging the first challenge aong with Tyler. 

• Like 5
8 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I wish the Filipino team hadn't been eliminated so soon, but I get it that they wanted an even number of teams so they could have 'squads' (so why start with an odd number?).  

I didn't really understand the point of dividing into squads in the first place, especially since the trucks are being judged individually in the end.  I wondered if the producers were trying to think of something "fresh" and one of them watched Master Chef and decided to copy the Gordon Ramsay approach with regions and seasons.  Whatever............. I don't care for it.

• Like 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, mlp said:

I didn't really understand the point of dividing into squads in the first place, especially since the trucks are being judged individually in the end.  I wondered if the producers were trying to think of something "fresh" and one of them watched Master Chef and decided to copy the Gordon Ramsay approach with regions and seasons.  Whatever............. I don't care for it.

I'm not against trying something different but in this case, it just created mass confusion. I couldn't remember who was on which team, and there was just a lot of running around and chaos. Maybe the idea was to stir up drama, because with contestants going into other contestants' trucks there was bound to be some hard feelings. As indeed happened. I guess the Turkish guy on the seafood truck is this season's designated "big personality" who will be pissing everyone off.

5 hours ago, Grizzly said:

If none of the teams have food truck experience, how do they all have one person who knows how to drive the truck? 

I've wondered about that too. One of the reasons I prefer the seasons with actual professional food trucks.

I do like that the trucks will be on the road again, and the Gulf coast is a great part of the country, with distinctive cuisines in different areas. I hope they will make use of that. I'm happy they're in Galveston next week, a very cool city. I hope they show more of it than they showed of Houston.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Like 8
13 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

I'm not against trying something different but in this case, it just created mass confusion. I couldn't remember who was on which team, and there was just a lot of running around and chaos. 

I felt sorry for the customers who had to watch their food being run from truck to truck, handled by frantic, yelling people, fried in one truck and run to another. Delicious!

I can’t with the bao guys who went on this show knowing their buns need two hours prep to be “made properly.” Or maybe it’s the person who cast them. 

• Like 7
On 7/1/2024 at 11:23 AM, lavenderblue said:

I kind of wanted Bao Bei to stay simply because I want to know if they're actually going to manage to make bao at some point.

A couple seasons ago, there was a trio of young women who had a Moo Shu truck.  I don't remember them making anything moo shu at all and they lasted almost to the end as I recall.  I didn't get it then but I sort of understand the bao guys' problem.  They knew how long it would take to make their dough but they didn't realize they would have no time to do it in the first challenge.  I wonder how they planned to manage that going forward.  The waffle truck from several seasons ago had a similar problem and developed some workarounds.

• Like 3
(edited)
On 6/30/2024 at 10:06 PM, SHERMDOG said:

Ugh. Bao should of gone home cause THEY DIDNT SERVE ANY BAO. blech. Oh well

This. They set themselves up for failure with that long rise time for the bao imo. 

Good energy from the teams, I'm not disliking anyone yet. Ah man I'd murder that shrimp and grits burger, that looked awesome. Ditto the Po Boy dishes too.

Edited by Colorado David
food
  • Like 1

So, the Argentina's Empanadas team is from my hometown...Wichita kansas. Pretty cool. I'm pretty sure they won't last too long but...oh well. Haha

• LOL 1

No More Waffles!!!! at least the teams all have cooking experience unlike some early seasons, and at least they are actually unlike the LA season.

• Like 2

Really glad they are again going from city to city and state to state. Staying in one city the entire time is boring and allows them to always rely on the same following by always parking in the same spots and it didn't always seem fair. 

I was really surprised to see the Filipino truck being one of the bottom 2 in the first elimination. Was it really that the ube donuts took too long and people didn't buy from them until those were ready? I thought they were selling some of their other food. 

Hope Bao Bei is able to find a way to make their baos in time for the challenges. If there is no way to pre-prep any of their food, a lot of recipes would need to be retooled. I agree that they should have changed their name to Night Market or something that would have given them more flexibility. 

Cooks with Passion isn't going to be around long if they continue to be disorganized and have dishes that are too complicated. They might have good food and I guess if they win the taste challenges that awards them bonus money in their till, they might be able to ride it out for a while. 

• Like 5
On 7/3/2024 at 12:43 PM, GiandujaPie said:

Really glad they are again going from city to city and state to state.

Cooks with Passion isn't going to be around long if they continue to be disorganized and have dishes that are too complicated. They might have good food and I guess if they win the taste challenges that awards them bonus money in their till, they might be able to ride it out for a while. 

Every other truck figured out quickly that to sell 5 plates, they needed an easy quick dish that would appeal to everybody walking by.   Cooks with Passion was just bumbling along making their normal menu.  Good for the Turkish guy for telling it straight.  Good for the gal from the broken frier truck for claiming victory for forcing their chef  into another truck.

• Like 9
On 7/1/2024 at 5:26 PM, Grizzly said:

So far the Fishmarket Tornado and the So LA guy seem a bit abrasive and stubborn. I would not want to be on a truck with them since that's not the way to handle stress.

Wish they had an astronaut judging the first challenge aong with Tyler. 

Fishmarket guy might be abrasive, but he 100% seems to be reading the dynamic of the other teams right. His take on the leadership of the other teams was spot on.

On 7/3/2024 at 3:43 PM, GiandujaPie said:

Let's hope they go next. I find the whole team unlikable. You won 1 challenge by making Tyler's favorite meal (and a sad looking beige meal at that), not exactly a super hard feat and you managed to basically massively screw up the next day. 

• Like 7
On 7/2/2024 at 12:47 PM, HyeChaps said:

Throwing away that food was rude—regardless of the intention of the giver

agreed. i mean the other guys were pretty much doing a ' in your face' move, which is also dicky, but man just hand that out to a patron as a freebie. too much starvation in this world to go wasting stuff. or hell even just taste it, maybe it will give you some ideas!!!

• Like 4
(edited)

Episode 2, in Galveston. Teams get tips from baseball players.  They will compete for $15,000 prize this week that goes to the winning team, not their till.   The teams feed little leaguers, and the winning team gets to feed J.T. Justin Turner, and he picks the winning team. 

The dishes have to be ballpark food.  

Team 1-Stripes Squad-Cooks With Passion (lead truck), Wally's Waffles,  Argentina Empanada, Fishnet.

Team 2-Star Squad-Plates on Deck (lead truck) , Sola Po'Boys,  Bao Bei, Down to Get Tacos.

Each team has to deliver 4 plates.   The first four teams to deliver 4 dishes gets to give a plate to Justin Turner, and he'll decide the winner of the $15,000.  Bao Bei, , Down to Get Tacos, Argentina Empanadas, and Sola Po'Boys are competing for the prize. (Empanada team bought pre-marinated meat).  Winner is Bao Bei. 

Next contest is in downtown Galveston.   Six hours to sell.  Most of the trucks are way behind on delivering orders.   Now they have to do a Red Snapper special.  The Team 1 trucks are teaming up and will split the $800 if they win. Team 2 are not cooperating the way Team 1 teams are.  Fishnet is down to one Red Snapper fish and chips, so they're auctioning it off. They get $55 for the last dish. 

Snapper winner is Stripes Squad, and Fishnet, they get to split the $800, so $200 added per till.  

Tyler announces the end of the sale day, and they will have an extra sale day tomorrow with another challenge.   The teams have to make a 'first' dish they've never served before, in addition to their regular menu. 

1st Wally's Waffles, 2nd Fishnet, 3rd Tacos.   4th Bao, 5th Empanadas, 6th Sola

Bottom two:  CWP and Plates on Deck.   CWP goes home. 

Next week they move to Lake Charles, LA with:

Team 1-Stripes Squad- Wally's Waffles,  Argentina Empanada, Fishnet.

Team 2-Star Squad-Plates on Deck, Sola Po'Boys,  Bao Bei, Down to Get Tacos.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Snapper winner is Stripes Squad, and Fishnet, they get to split the $800, so $200 added per till.  

I haven't really been paying attention, but can you explain how splitting $800 between two teams = adding $200 per till?  Thanks.

(edited)

Haven’t watched this show since season 2 so I’m not sure about the changes…the squad concept is weird.  This episode first challenge seemed like they made it up because of weather in Galveston.  Speed walking 4 dishes to kids seemed positively stupid LOL.

I don’t even know what to say about the finger in the jar dude.  Tyler isn’t the most charming guy but he makes Tyler look down right cuddly in comparison.  

Edited by HappyDancex2
Speed turned into sipped which is awkward
  • Like 5
10 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

I haven't really been paying attention, but can you explain how splitting $800 between two teams = adding $200 per till?  Thanks.

The money was split between the 4 teams in the "squad."

• Like 3

The Fishnet male chef is clearly a lot and putting his fingers in the jar of Nutella was weird at best but I'm to the point where I'm somewhat on his side just because how Tyler was so clearly desperate to start something between him and the Cooks With Passion truck and the Waffles truck. Makes me happy that Fishnet didn't give Tyler what he wanted by apologizing to CWP. 

The empanada truck needs to get it together. If you are an empanada truck and your empanada dough messes up two days in a row, don't act shocked that your customers will take their business elsewhere rather than take loaded fries.

(Where did the empanada truck all of a sudden have fries from and what were they for? I miss TPTB showing all the trucks shopping with their feed money.)

• Like 9
(edited)

ok the finger thing was gross and crass, glove or not. this is the kind of person who takes a bite from your burger on your plate without even asking, just cuz he wants a taste. that guy would be enemy of my team from that moment on.

i didn't dig the baseball challenge either - this is a taste competition, not some weird relay race. i think they want to jazz up the challenges, but imo this is NOT the way to do it. what, next week they have to balance plates of dishes on two fingers to deliver them? blindfolded cooking? hop on one leg for an hour while prepping?? LAME ideas.

re the empanada truck - i feel bad for them and whatever was causing the issue. does humidity really affect dough that badly? i have never made my own dough from scratch.

Edited by Colorado David
add emp comment
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Yes, humidity can really mess with dough.   That's why the second batch right out of the fridge was a little better.   I suspect that the dough was a little sticky, so the contestant put too much flour in it, but didn't flour the board, so the dough stuck to the counter, and was too brittle too. 

I know the teams are all rookies at running their trucks, but some aren't adapting to changing conditions.   

I didn't like the relay race, or the fact that a bunch of kids were having to split one plate of food.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6

I think the kids picking a favorite should have been part of the challenge too. 

I can’t decide who I dislike more - the guy from Fishnet or the woman from the po boy truck. 

• Like 6

There's so much to dislike about this show, I didn't even finish watching it.

The squad thing makes no sense. Only 2 teams had to cook the snapper. 

Why did they have to walk each dish individually to the baseball players? And how were those kids sharing the dishes? There wasn't enough for all of them.

No explanation of where they got groceries. They have to serve snapper - how did they magically have all the ingredients to create a dish?

• Like 11
8 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

All of the above ^^^ and more. I think this show has jumped the snapper.

Ditto! ^^^

This show used to be one I wouldn't miss, now not so much!  It is almost a different show from the original concept of Food Trucks racing across the country trying to win by cooking and selling their foods. Now it is almost a game show, who can jump through hoops better, run faster or whatever other calisthenics they have planned. 

The shopping wasn't only interesting but informative in that decisions made there  might affect cooking problems later on.  You get more into their minds about what their goal/plan is for the various challenges and how they strategize.

And I really dislike the Squad addition. So you are teamed up with basically some of your opponents in the whole contest, and then have to help them out so they are not kicked out of the game during squad challenges? I just don't get why they thought this was a good idea! Maybe I am missing something?? I hope they drop the squads soon.

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
13 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

This show used to be one I wouldn't miss, now not so much!  It is almost a different show from the original concept of Food Trucks racing across the country trying to win by cooking and selling their foods. Now it is almost a game show, who can jump through hoops better, run faster or whatever other calisthenics they have planned. 

And I really dislike the Squad addition. So you are teamed up with basically some of your opponents in the whole contest, and then have to help them out so they are not kicked out of the game during squad challenges? I just don't get why they thought this was a good idea! Maybe I am missing something?? I hope they drop the squads soon.

couldn't agree MORE on both counts, Gramto6.  enjoyed the first few seasons - more focused on food and cooking, less on stunty stuff. I'd much rather watch them driving around trying to find a spot to park for the day than dolts having to run from the truck to the eaters and back again, over and over. 

and squad thing is dumb, defeats the whole team vs team concept. i dont like seeing a successful team having to bail out a team that doesnt have their sh together.

• Like 10

The weirdo who was handling raw fish actually stuck his FINGER into a jar of another team's Nutella!!  

He should be removed from the contest, and his team should have to find a replacement or be disqualified. 

Just the fact that he did that so casually, seems to me he does not pay attention to safe food handling. (Gordon Ramsey would have freaked out if it was done on one of his shows)

• Like 11
  • LOL 1

I agree with everyone above.  My guess is that FN is making their usual mistake of trying to freshen up a show and actually making it worse.  Sort of like adding dumb games to Chopped.  Squads make no sense to me for reasons already stated nor does having people take out one dish at a time or having just a couple people cook stuff.  The medals for the top 3 places are silly too.  I do not miss watching them drive around looking for parking spaces when I knew that was phony but I do miss the shopping.

I was relieved to see the CWP truck leave.  They all seemed unpleasant.  I hope the empanada truck goes next because I'm very sick of the woman who complains constantly and said she wants to quit and go home.  I'm finding the waffle guys and the bao boys the most likeable so far.

• Like 14
  • LOL 1
On 7/2/2024 at 2:02 PM, Colorado David said:

This. They set themselves up for failure with that long rise time for the bao imo. 

I will never understand chefs in a cooking competition for say an hour making something they say normally takes a day. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

The weirdo who was handling raw fish actually stuck his FINGER into a jar of another team's Nutella!!  

Even worse: the complainer on the empanada truck doesn't tie her hair back when she's cooking. If that isn't gross enough, her teammate started playing with her hair then went back to cooking without changing his gloves or washing his hands.

I've disqualified them from winning due to that, although I'm still allowing a little leeway for The Nutella Incident. However, I may disqualify them next week if there are any new Incidents.

• Like 8
  • Applause 3

Much like last season, I'm still annoyed by the fact they seemed to have filmed this in the winter, Tyler's practically in a parka and you make the teams stand there shivering in tee shirts. No one expects this to have been filmed last week, but at least give them hoodies they can layer under. 

I'm really beginning to not like the po boy guy. The way he talks to the women on the  truck, or at least the one (is she his girlfriend?) is not okay. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

hairnets have always been an issue on the show, i dunno why unless they think it's not camera friendly. at least they are wearing gloves.......well SOME of the time (eye roll). you never see anyone washing their hands at a sink - i guess that would be edited out tho. 

instead of the gimmicks they are trying, CHOOSE teams with personalities. Maybe Cheese Born with It, while abs not great cooks at all, had fun personalities that were fun to watch them trying to sell their stuff. The GI wives were good too, I liked them for the message they were bringing. Stuff like that, NOT stupid relay races. Good back stories, or out of the ordinary stories, stories about cultures we never hear from,  uplifting junk. I am sure there are tons of them out there, maybe they just arent trying out for the show.

Sorry minor rant there.

• Like 8

I really hate the squad stuff too. In the baseball task, why did they bother having the kids there when their opinion didn’t matter? There is no ways kids voted for Poke tacos with Sriracha and jalapeño. It the split second we saw they loved the waffle dessert. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

Not showing them shopping seems strange…I mentioned it to the noob I was watching it with and the shopping context really helps defend the choices.  We seemed to have an unlimited pantry on some trucks.  And I agree with the waffle truck guy saying he didn’t even want that snapper on his truck.  .  A dessert truck chef isn’t going to generally be the one having the right knives, skill set and extra ingredients to deal with fresh fish.

i do want to try to make that shrimp and grits burger though.  I thought one of those premade polena shelf stable rolls would have been a good shortcut although probably cost prohibitive.  But the real issue is having something that labor intensive to make in the first place.  This show is about volume and speed most of the time.

I’m still waiting for the bao truck to change their name Lol.  Just buy the premade ones and call it a day.  They are going to need the mother of all freezers.

• Like 8