Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: NCIS: Los Angeles

MostlyC
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

However, when they first showed Nell in sleeked back tight up-do, I seriously had no idea who that was.  No idea.  Until she spoke, and even then I had cognitive dissonance. 

There are not enough up votes.  Thank you for stating this so succinctly.

• Love 5

I'm now annoyed that for the last....5 years?  Kensi could come and go with "what was in the box....er, I mean locker."  What was there the first time?

3 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

(I've given up on Deeks's hair)

Me too.  He must be covering a bald spot or something.  I'm sad Deeks' boyhood friend from Plan B wasn't there.  He at least deserved a phone call, writers.

I liked that the Tiffanys/Mindys were there, and I've always bought the idea that Kensi has a group of girl friends.  And since Kensi said to someone, "Don't let the Tiffanys sleep with anyone at the wedding," that one of them will hook up with the guy who has Granger's job.  Or maybe Callen.  😛

• Love 1

I'm pleased that fans of this show continue to have passion for it. Another show I watch, Blue Bloods and everyone has lost interest.

The wedding and Deeks reading the note were special. The rest of the show was to me mindless filler I did not care for.

LOVED seeing Heady.

And as for Eric and Nell that part of the show is junk and in the future I'll FF through all of their scenes.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SweetTooth said:

If we're talking abut Kensi, I think she's been shown to be really friendly, compassionate, and empathetic. I also love that they have a woman with a lot of women friends.

This is unlike the Kensi in the beginning of the series, and even in later episodes. The writers are so inconsistent with the characters, it seems as though they just make crap up as they go along from one episode to the next. In S8, Kensi mentioned that one of the things she loved about Deeks was how easily he made friends, and in an earlier season, she talks about her one really close friend. Suddenly, in S9, she has 5 close friends. Why can't the writers keep the backgrounds of the characters straight?

On 3/16/2019 at 9:02 PM, dirtydi said:

If he can forgive her for punching him in the mouth, she can be okay with him buying a bar.  And as for him killing his rapist corrupt partner who was going to kill a young girl, oh well. No loss there, good for him.

Big difference between a punch in the mouth and buying a bar that's gonna saddle you with expenses for years. Besides, she'd already forgiven him for his earlier comments about her body; I think he deserved a punch in the mouth. The point about Deeks killing his unarmed partner--when Tiffany was NOT in immediate danger--is that Kensi is law enforcement. For that to not even give her a slight pause would be, I think, pretty unrealistic. Besides, the whole idea that that was the ONLY way for Deeks to solve the situation was ridiculous--but that's old news. It does piss me off, though, that Deeks gets off without any consequences after killing his unarmed partner while Anna gets sent to prison for killing an unarmed Russian mobster who had two people killed in the episodes, beaten his sister and left her to die, and kidnapped Arkady and threatened to kill him. Where's the justice in that?

Overall, the episode was okay but not my favorite onscreen wedding (I still think that might be the one in Bones--loved Lauper singing, very classy). Couldn't care less about the box.

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:32 AM, ymeagain said:

This is unlike the Kensi in the beginning of the series, and even in later episodes. The writers are so inconsistent with the characters, it seems as though they just make crap up as they go along from one episode to the next. In S8, Kensi mentioned that one of the things she loved about Deeks was how easily he made friends, and in an earlier season, she talks about her one really close friend. Suddenly, in S9, she has 5 close friends. Why can't the writers keep the backgrounds of the characters straight?

Big difference between a punch in the mouth and buying a bar that's gonna saddle you with expenses for years. Besides, she'd already forgiven him for his earlier comments about her body; I think he deserved a punch in the mouth. The point about Deeks killing his unarmed partner--when Tiffany was NOT in immediate danger--is that Kensi is law enforcement. For that to not even give her a slight pause would be, I think, pretty unrealistic. Besides, the whole idea that that was the ONLY way for Deeks to solve the situation was ridiculous--but that's old news. It does piss me off, though, that Deeks gets off without any consequences after killing his unarmed partner while Anna gets sent to prison for killing an unarmed Russian mobster who had two people killed in the episodes, beaten his sister and left her to die, and kidnapped Arkady and threatened to kill him. Where's the justice in that?

Overall, the episode was okay but not my favorite onscreen wedding (I still think that might be the one in Bones--loved Lauper singing, very classy). Couldn't care less about the box.

Yes, there is a big difference between the two, just not the way you are thinking.  He deserved a punch in the mouth? For saying something about her body? What are you talking about?

I do agree about her friends though.  And now Deeks has none to stand up for him at the wedding? He has always been the friendlier of the two.

• Love 1

Sorry to add to the pile on but I agree, those two things are not equivalent to one another, they're both problematic, but imo, the degree to which they are problematic is not the same. I love Densi for the most part, and their portrayal but that move they have Deeks pull by intentionally presenting the bar to Kensi in front of everyone was so oddly undermining and a little manipulative. Do it alone where she can process how she feels without a friggin audience, don't make it a joke that she can't say she doesn't like it even if she wasn't going to. I'm guessing having Kensi actually like the bar was TPTB trying to subvert the 'woman says no' stereotype, but they've only pulled the 'I'm gonna let my man have this/make this decision which affects both of us because he's going after his dreams, isn't this romantic' trope, which is imo, worse. 

Edited by dju
  • Love 1

Linda Hunt/Hetty was holding her left arm very awkwardly when she got out of the car.  It almost looked paralyzed.  Her hand was in an extremely unnatural splayed out position.  Her voice also sounded like she was speaking very deliberately.  I'm wondering if she possibly had a stroke which would account for an extended absence after a "minor" traffic accident.

This was a fun Nell episode.  The only thing that kinda bugged me was her sister who also supposedly works for a government agency so her being all weird was kinda....weird.

the rest of it really did work for me.   Nell showing her skills as an agent by keeping them all on the run.   While the others connected the case and what Nell has to do with it.  

• Love 2

I wanted to like this episode but I made the mistake of trying to apply logic. Why did the suspect go to Nell’s sister? Why did the sister go to Nell? The premise just didn’t make sense. 

I hate ending the show it the bar. It’s jarring to me that alleged secret agents discuss their day protecting the nation’s secrets and killing bad guys out in the open. It made more sense to have those discussions in the office then go out. So much has been impacted by Hetty’s being gone, but this has really changed the show for me. 

Edited by may flowers
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, may flowers said:

I wanted to like this episode but I made the mistake of trying to apply logic. Why did the suspect go to Nell’s sister? Why did the sister go to Nell? The premise just didn’t make sense. 

I hate ending the show it the bar. It’s jarring to me that alleged secret agents siscuss their day protecting the nation’s secrets and killing bad guys out in the open. It made more sense to have those discussions in the office then go out. So much has been impacted by Hetty’s being gone, but this has really changed the show for me. 

As best I can tell, they knew each other from high school.  (half assed attention paid).  What are the chances? 

Can I just add something about Nell's appearance.  Last week, we didn't recognize her at the wedding scene because she had her hair up and slicked back.  it also looked like black hair instead of red.

Looking at her last night, I'm sure she must be wearing a red wig.  The wig has bangs.  You could not slick your hair back with those bangs. 

Well, this could have been a fun episode but why did they have to go down the SuperNell route? Especially at the expense of her sister who came across like a major airhead who never recovered from a teenage crush. Sydney works for the NSA so we can assume she has a functioning brain - she may struggle when it comes to human interactions but there's a difference between socially awkward and behaving like the idiot character from a teen comedy.

If they really wanted to show Nell and Sydney to bond more why not have Sydney being the one on the run with Martinez (an old friend for whom she might carry an adult torch) trying to get into contact with Nell and asking her for help? They still could have given Nell plenty of screen time while she's trying to assess the situation and figure out what's going on. Bonus point: Nell's still shown as a capable agent but her sister's character does not get assassinated.

Of course the idiot ball got passed around aplenty. The team covering for Nell was one thing but keeping Rogers in the dark about another suspect - especially one within Navy ranks closely connected to the case - was also not their finest hour. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, may flowers said:

I hate ending the show it the bar. It’s jarring to me that alleged secret agents siscuss their day protecting the nation’s secrets and killing bad guys out in the open. It made more sense to have those discussions in the office then go out. So much has been impacted by Hetty’s being gone, but this has really changed the show for me. 

The bar is kinda growing on me, but you make a great point, and I don't really understand what we plan to ultimately do with it other than use it as another space for debriefing, somewhere for Deeks to work once he quits NCIS?

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, dju said:

The bar is kinda growing on me, but you make a great point, and I don't really understand what we plan to ultimately do with it other than use it as another space for debriefing, somewhere for Deeks to work once he quits NCIS?

Has there ever been a sighting of a paying customer in that bar? Seems like just a hangout for Deeks and the guys.

• Love 2

Well that's 46 or so minutes of my life I'll never get back (due the NCAA my DVR only recorded 46 minutes). One of the weakest shows in a long time. But hey that's just me as it seems a lot of commenters enjoyed the episode. 

Edited by CaptainCranky
grammar
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, CaptainCranky said:

Well that's 46 or so minutes of my life I'll never get back (due the NCAA my DVR only recorded 46 minutes). One of the weakest shows in a long time. But hey that's just me as it seems a lot of commenters enjoyed the episode. 

I'm with you Capt. I also thought it sucked.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, preeya said:

...(due the NCAA my DVR only recorded 46 minutes).

I got so tired of worrying about the start/stop times of CBS Sunday evening scheduling that I set my DVR to stop recording NCIS:LA 3 hours after normal end time.  If it's on time, I just stop the recording and delete, and I delete the whole thing after I watched it, but this way I never worry about getting cut off.

• Useful 2
12 minutes ago, Kelda Feegle said:

So that happened, and I don't care.

Where did Hetty go? She suddenly pops up in the preceding episode and everyone is surprised but never even gets a mention in the following one?

While I didn't mind the episode (it doesn't rate in my top 50 though :) ), that is the elephant in the room.  Hetty showed up for the wedding, then promptly wasn't mentioned this episode.  Maybe it was filmed out of sequence?  Either way, surely she deserved a mention.

@pally, I was trying to work out what was "wrong" with Hetty when she got out of the car, and again when she was sitting on the couch between Sam and Callen.  She was sitting really awkwardly between C and S and holding one of her arms.  She's always spoken quite deliberately though.  I just wish they would give us an idea of if she is back or was this a one-off cameo.  The will she/won't she/where is she bit is getting old. 

On 3/20/2019 at 12:32 AM, ymeagain said:

But Anna is surely undercover. 

Seriously.  What is the name of the bar?  Did they ever name it?

(I recall I was rooting for "The Hammerhead" for the shark on the wall.)

Edited by HurricaneVal
to make the words more better.

In the beginning this was a great show to watch after years of the uptight Jethro on NCIS. It was quirky and almost like the writers gave us episodes that were almost tongue in cheek quality stuff. We had Hetty, Sam, Kensi and Callen. Eric was tolerable. They added Deeks and the show for me didn't miss a beat. And then the writers added Nell and started shuffling new characters in and out of the show and for this viewer the thing that attracted me in the beginning started to fade away.

I know a lot of you will disagree but that's fine. The show went from must see TV to DVR it and watch it when I have nothing else to watch.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

I wonder if that will give us an insight into the Mac/Rabb decision at the end of JAG?  (fan from way back here)

I was wondering the same thing. I am assuming he will be wearing a ring and they will at least touch on it.

• Love 1
On 3/25/2019 at 5:46 AM, may flowers said:

I hate ending the show it the bar. It’s jarring to me that alleged secret agents discuss their day protecting the nation’s secrets and killing bad guys out in the open. It made more sense to have those discussions in the office then go out. So much has been impacted by Hetty’s being gone, but this has really changed the show for me. 

Agree 100%. Aren't these agents supposed to be undercover operatives? What happened? Has their designation changed and nobody bothered to mention it to the viewers? I mean, first the bar and then Callen's REAL name on his mailbox. Do TPTB not remember the basic premise of the show? Anyway, Born to Run was junk. Her stories are completely lacking in logic and she doesn't seem to know the main characters--Nell and Sydney are professional, extremely intelligent women, not silly, tongue-tied girls. Why is it that acting professionally is somehow not considered appropriate on this show? And do Kensi and Deeks have to call each other "Babe" in front of their boss? OMG, it's like high school.

The way the show is making such a big deal about guest stars just seems to highlight the poor writing. They promoted the hell out of the wedding--and didn't even get the highest overnights of the season. Now they're promoting the WWE connection this week, and for good measure (and to help with ratings), they're bringing back Harm and Mac. I wonder if Gemmill knows what he's doing because the show definitely seems to be suffering with him as show runner. I like the cast, but the focus has been just horrible this season--and Linda's absence isn't a good enough excuse. Once they knew she wasn't coming back--that was in July or August and not midway through the season--they should have adapted. Instead, everything just became a mess.

I'm going to watch the episodes about Callen (Anna and Nikita) just to see if the writers make some sense out of what's happened (I listened to an interview online with Frank  Military and it explained a LOT about the messy storylines). After this season, I may be done.

• Love 1
On 3/21/2019 at 7:10 PM, dirtydi said:

Yes, there is a big difference between the two, just not the way you are thinking.  He deserved a punch in the mouth? For saying something about her body? What are you talking about?

That's not why Kensi punched him in the mouth. She punched him after he froze and refused to shoot the guy that was holding her even though she told him to go ahead--and he admitted afterwards that he didn't shoot him because they'd slept together--and the bad guy got away. If your partner can't do his job because of his personal feelings, that puts you and everyone else on the team at risk.

On 3/26/2019 at 3:55 AM, LittlePeas3 said:

I definitely hope so, I am also hoping it is resolved before the end of the season,

I think this and Nikita's fate are supposed to be addressed in episodes 21 & 22. Don't know if they'll be resolved, but I hope they aren't more confusing after the episodes.

On 3/25/2019 at 10:39 PM, Kelda Feegle said:

Where did Hetty go? She suddenly pops up in the preceding episode and everyone is surprised but never even gets a mention in the following one?

This is one of the weakest elements, and it's not just Hetty. Sam never talks about Michelle or his children (they mention Granger more and I get that because Miguel actually passed, but it's unbelievable that Sam's gotten over Michelle's death so quickly or that his children don't need to hear from him occasionally). Callen never mentioned his dad for the rest of S9 after he was sent back to Russia, and nobody on the team asked how Anna was doing after she was sent to prison or the hospital (they could have included her in the toast at the end of Joyride). If the character isn't in the episode, it's like s/he doesn't exist.

20 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

I wonder if that will give us an insight into the Mac/Rabb decision at the end of JAG?  (fan from way back here)

I hope so. They were two of my favorites. I'm excited about the finale. I just hope--being a Military episode--that it's not another Densi-heavy one.

Why do I feel like the writers don't know where they're going when they write episodes like this? It was really weird. I don't get why Sam, Kensi, and Deeks couldn't have handled the assignment. Why bring in Fatima and Lance? There wasn't nearly enough between Callen, Jake, and Alex imo because it felt like this is a set-up for ep 21 & 22. And did they really need all that stuff about the bar? How is that more important than the Nell-Eric storyline? The entire season has been about Densi. Can we have at least ONE episode before the series ends (if this is its last season) where Densi and their problems AREN'T a focus, you know, like a "Better Angels" for Sam or Callen? Geesh, just rename it NCISLA-Densi.

• Love 2
(edited)

The Nell & Sydney episode almost felt like one of the Flynn/Provenza "comedy" episodes on The Closer and Major Crimes, except those were much better.

@123BP, I had the same feeling about the writers lack of focus or direction.

Edited by torqy
my lack of focus/direction
  • Love 3

I am totally confused. I don't recall seeing Hetty. Was this the episode Harm was supposed to appear? Did I just sleep through most of the episode or are these things coming in future episodes?????

I loved the opening, Kensi was especially brilliant (two guns! that reminded me so much of Ziva, I'm kinda bummed we'll never get to see those two on screen kicking butt together) but the rest was super weird, I'm echoing that description, it's very fitting.

And just when I start to like the bar they go and pull this crap. That densi argument was so contrived, there's no way they didn't communicate about the fundraiser and so far we've seen them either be on the same page about the bar logistics or Kensi is indifferent to whatever Deeks wants to do with it, so I don't know where that argument came from or why it was necessary.

So .... Densi live the lives of bar owners .... Eric and Nell move to San Francisco .... Sam goes to work with Harris ... Callen becomes the best uncle/family man ever ...  Hetty retires again after seeing that her team’s futures have been determined ....

OR ..... 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Ellee said:

So .... Densi live the lives of bar owners .... Eric and Nell move to San Francisco .... Sam goes to work with Harris ... Callen becomes the best uncle/family man ever ...  Hetty retires again after seeing that her team’s futures have been determined ....

OR ..... 

I think we have been thinking the same thing 😞 I don't want it to end, but I also would like to see it back to undercover storylines too. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, LittlePeas3 said:

I think we have been thinking the same thing 😞 I don't want it to end, but I also would like to see it back to undercover storylines too. 

I hear you on that. 

I don’t know whether the show has been renewed or not but believe we have been seeing at minimum a reorganization in progress.   Or it could be that Hetty’s mysterious absence has to do with Anna being in jail and the team stays together to help her.  Or Callen’s injury was more serious and his field days are over and he becomes the ‘new Hetty’ because we haven’t been in love with any of her temporary replacements.   Or ....

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Ellee said:

I hear you on that. 

I don’t know whether the show has been renewed or not but believe we have been seeing at minimum a reorganization in progress.   Or it could be that Hetty’s mysterious absence has to do with Anna being in jail and the team stays together to help her.  Or Callen’s injury was more serious and his field days are over and he becomes the ‘new Hetty’ because we haven’t been in love with any of her temporary replacements.   Or ....

There are so many possibilities. I don't think Callen's injury was too serious, he wouldn't have been out of hospital that quickly, but this episode screamed, "We are setting the viewers up for something."  I've never thought about how it would all end, but this way seems strange if it is what is going to be. Sam can't be a wandering agent, his daughter only just started high school, Nell and Eric can't go to San Francisco, (mind you I think I may have read something about Nell's mother being on the dodgy, but I could be imagining it) and they must find Callen's dad and wrap up the Anna in jail issue too. I am a big Kensi/Deeks fan, but the only challenge for them I see is kids and that spells the end for them IMO. Hetty, where do I go? Bring back Chegwidden and co and that is always interesting. 

But now I seem to be rambling. 🙂

Edited by LittlePeas3
Because auto correct liked the word Seeks rather than Deeks
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, LittlePeas3 said:

There are so many possibilities. I don't think Callen's injury was too serious, he wouldn't have been out of hospital that quickly, but this episode screamed, "We are setting the viewers up for something."  I've never thought about how it would all end, but this way seems strange if it is what is going to be. Sam can't be a wandering agent, his daughter only just started high school, Nell and Eric can't go to San Francisco, (mind you I think I may have read something about Nell's mother being on the dodgy, but I could be imagining it) and they must find Callen's dad and wrap up the Anna in jail issue too. I am a big Kensi/Deeks fan, but the only challenge for them I see is kids and that spells the end for them IMO. Hetty, where do I go? Bring back Chegwidden and co and that is always interesting. 

But now I seem to be rambling. 🙂

Lol ... not rambling at all though it would be very easy to do with all the possibilities here. Heck it could even be that certain contracts were being negotiated and this craziness was to limit or eliminate their raises or make them more realistic  

I wish more people posted as I like reading what people think. 

It will be forever before we see something onscreen. Is it two weeks before another episode?

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, may flowers said:

It was a terrible, completely without context episode. Is this really NCIS LA?

As maybe a 3 episodes a year watcher checking in before Captain Rabb shows up the core team with random other agents showing up and dropping more bad guys in one case than LAPD does in ten years. Seemed like the same show to me.

• Love 2

The cynic in me thought while watching this episode that maybe contracts are about to be re-negotiated. That was odd - they more or less prepared an out for four of their main players.

The show lacks focus, too many meandering plotlines - that is definitely caused by the absence of someone pulling the strings of the team. It does not have to be Hetty if Linda Hurst is no longer available. Chegwidden would have been perfect - no idea why they did not go down that route. 

I don't mind Kensi and Deeks and their random bar shenanigans. Wasn't Mama Deeks supposed to run the bar? It's completely unrealistic but so is the place over at Chicago Fire or the eternally empty bar on Whiskey Cavalier.  And now that Callen lives upstairs it starts to feel like the show is about to transition into a sitcom 😉 

• Love 2

Call back to the hammerhead shark on the wall in the bar!  I speculated a while back that they are going to name the bar "The Hammerhead" because they randomly featured that bit of decor in a previous episode.  And now they featured it again, so I'm doubling down on my prediction.

I can't decided if I hope I'm right or wrong about that!

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Ellee said:

Lol ... not rambling at all though it would be very easy to do with all the possibilities here. Heck it could even be that certain contracts were being negotiated and this craziness was to limit or eliminate their raises or make them more realistic  

I wish more people posted as I like reading what people think. 

It will be forever before we see something onscreen. Is it two weeks before another episode?

I seriously hope it was just contracts being negotiated.  But then the storylines are missing something right now too.  I really don't know if it is the no Hetty being around or if it something more, it was a little off last season too, even when Hetty was around.  I think the whole "break the team up" premise has gotten old.  I get that it is a trial-type unit being Office of Special Provisions, but for the last couple of seasons, there has hardly been any undercover and it has run on a fairly similar line to the NCIS mothership, just with the characters dressed a lot more casually.  

I wish more would comment too, when they migrated the board, we lost so many, or so it seems.  

I am good with it being off for 2 weeks, we are going camping next week and no way was I going to cope with not knowing what was happening if it had been on 🙂 

6 hours ago, MissLucas said:

The cynic in me thought while watching this episode that maybe contracts are about to be re-negotiated. That was odd - they more or less prepared an out for four of their main players.

The show lacks focus, too many meandering plotlines - that is definitely caused by the absence of someone pulling the strings of the team. It does not have to be Hetty if Linda Hurst is no longer available. Chegwidden would have been perfect - no idea why they did not go down that route. 

I don't mind Kensi and Deeks and their random bar shenanigans. Wasn't Mama Deeks supposed to run the bar? It's completely unrealistic but so is the place over at Chicago Fire or the eternally empty bar on Whiskey Cavalier.  And now that Callen lives upstairs it starts to feel like the show is about to transition into a sitcom 😉 

I really hope it was contract negotiations.  I think it is stupid though to screw with the whole viewing audience over that though.  From reading their Facebook (NCIS LA) page, there are so many fans ready to jump ship as it is.  Surely there was a more subtle way of dealing with it than threatening the cast by trying to write them off in one way or another?  

Maybe Mama Deeks knew about the fundraiser and was given the night off?  I don't know, I can't explain the gaps in the storyline anymore.  If I don't sound like a broken record yet, I am sure I will soon, I want more undercover operations!  Let's explore the actors acting ability and spice things up that way!  

3 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Call back to the hammerhead shark on the wall in the bar!  I speculated a while back that they are going to name the bar "The Hammerhead" because they randomly featured that bit of decor in a previous episode.  And now they featured it again, so I'm doubling down on my prediction.

I can't decided if I hope I'm right or wrong about that!

I am at the, "Just name the bar already! point.  No wonder they don't get any customers, who is going to visit a bar when they can't say to their friends, "Meet you at....." I am surprised they got a fundraiser there, how would they advertise for their fundraiser?  We will be at the bar on ….. street, it doesn't have a name yet? 

The inconsistencies the last 2 seasons especially, are beginning to drive me nuts! I can't stop watching, if it ends, I need to know how, but I wish tptb read this, and all the other comments online, and actually actioned on some of them.  It is driving me batty!

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

When/why did Callen move to the bar? I thought he had a house? Did I space out on something???

his house was compromised somewhere about the same time they saved/kidnapped Mosely's son, I think a hit was put out on them if I remember correctly.