Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: NCIS: Los Angeles

MostlyC
  • Start Topic

WOW I just watched the show and after reading the comments I really wonder if I saw the same show. I thought other than the Eric Nell BS which I FF through it was an entertaining show. If fact a lot better than some previous attempts by the writers.

The one thing that stuck out to me being an old USAF guy was the mention of the plans for the SR72. The original SR 71 was the Blackbird, an Air Force legend as a mach 3.2 plane. To me that seems like a huge stretch by the writers.

3 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

the same time they saved/kidnapped Mosely's son,

Speaking of the totally gone and disappeared.  

Or set aside for a story arc sometime in a season to be numbered later. 

How many minutes of this season have been given to gun battles?  How many bullets per bad guy take down and how many bullets haven't taken down 'our' team?  Shouldn't be that hard a program to write, and would give some new metrics to define TV shows.  

Was Hetty a hologram?

• Love 2
16 hours ago, dju said:

That densi argument was so contrived, there's no way they didn't communicate about the fundraiser and so far we've seen them either be on the same page about the bar logistics or Kensi is indifferent to whatever Deeks wants to do with it, so I don't know where that argument came from or why it was necessary.

Agree and this is one of the things that's made this season so disjointed: stuff appears without any warning--and not stuff like Nell's mom being sick (but how much better would it have been to have Sydney discuss this with her than run around like silly schoolgirls?)--and often it's completely unnecessary. I hope the writers can go one whole episode (out of 24) without a Densi scene. And Sam's comment about his demons--why haven't we seen any of that? What's happened to the short scenes we used to get that showed how a character felt (Callen and the punching bag, Sam calling his dad, Deeks opening the box -- did everybody realize it was the wrong box at the wedding? lol)

3 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

his house was compromised somewhere about the same time they saved/kidnapped Mosely's son,

His house was compromised much earlier during the mole storyline when the woman ran to his house and then later in Fool Me Twice when the rogue CIA agents were searching for Joelle. In Tin Soldiers, Arkady sent a Roma to his house, but that wasn't really a compromise.

7 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Call back to the hammerhead shark on the wall in the bar!

Kinda weird that an environmentalist/conservationist would have an endangered species on the wall and really weird that a surfing detective can't tell a real one from a fake one.

4 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

I really don't know if it is the no Hetty being around or if it something more, it was a little off last season too, even when Hetty was around.  I think the whole "break the team up" premise has gotten old. 

I get the feeling Gemmill is trying out actors and doesn't know WTH he's doing. Lots of stuff has gotten old, especially the "Hetty as super spy ninja" stuff. I like the characters, but the writing this season has been really bad. So many stories don't make sense, and where's the sharp dialogue?

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, ymeagain said:

Kinda weird that an environmentalist/conservationist would have an endangered species on the wall and really weird that a surfing detective can't tell a real one from a fake one.

I let this bother me way more than it’s worth but I found this so unbelievably dumb, not even weird just so so dumb.

And I might be in the minority on this one but knowing we may get densi scenes is a large part of why I’m still watching. Compared to other seasons, they’ve barely been in it, so when we get shitty, nonsensical scenes between them like last night it’s frustrating.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ymeagain said:

I get the feeling Gemmill is trying out actors and doesn't know WTH he's doing. Lots of stuff has gotten old, especially the "Hetty as super spy ninja" stuff. I like the characters, but the writing this season has been really bad. So many stories don't make sense, and where's the sharp dialogue?

The writing this season has been extremely inconsistent at best.  They seemed to be hanging out for Hetty/Linda Hunt to be back and my guess is, everything was up in the air and she didn't recover according to the time frame initially given. It is a big pity they didn't bypass the, "Let's try and shut OSP down" route, but do the investigation, oust Mosley and put Callen in charge, or alternatively,  give Nell a raise, a higher position and let her run things. Hetty has been grooming her for the last 9 years, surely she has some skills by now? 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ymeagain said:

I like the characters, but the writing this season has been really bad. So many stories don't make sense, and where's the sharp dialogue?

I sometimes watch episodes from past seasons, and this crystallizes my issues with this season. I feel like I no longer know the characters.  It’s so frustrating!

I’ve already quit NCIS:NO. I’m on the verge of breaking up with the mothership. But ending it with NCIS: LA is hardest of all.  It had a sense of humor about itself that I miss this year.  

• Love 7
11 hours ago, may flowers said:

I’ve already quit NCIS:NO. I’m on the verge of breaking up with the mothership. But ending it with NCIS: LA is hardest of all.  It had a sense of humor about itself that I miss this year.  

This is EXACTLY how I feel. I miss the old vibe, and I have no idea what went wrong. I though Chegwidden a good addition, so I was disappointed he vanished. I'm hoping they can do right by Rabb and we get a better vibe back on this show.

• Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, may flowers said:

these are interesting.  They also imply this will be renewed for season 11 as DJE is reportedly on for 2 eps at the end of the season and the first 2 of season 11

Edited by LittlePeas3
clicked on the link to the wrong " and can't figure out how to fix
On 4/1/2019 at 7:04 AM, Ellee said:

Lol ... not rambling at all though it would be very easy to do with all the possibilities here. Heck it could even be that certain contracts were being negotiated and this craziness was to limit or eliminate their raises or make them more realistic  

I wish more people posted as I like reading what people think. 

It will be forever before we see something onscreen. Is it two weeks before another episode?

I just lurk usually, since I have little to add.  The show is just so confusing now.  But I like the characters, so I stick with it.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, GussieK said:

I just lurk usually, since I have little to add.  The show is just so confusing now.  But I like the characters, so I stick with it.

Oh please don’t lurk.  I don’t really have anything to add but I add anyway. 😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

So it's still bothering and I know I gotta let it go, but I just rewatched the densi scenes from 10x09, 10x10 and 10x12 and it got me all fired up again. Episode 10x10 starts with Deeks revealing a completed bar to a very excited Kensi, as if she hasn't had a single thing to do with the look and construction of it, and in their exchange Deeks refers to the gold hammerhead shark as something that he saw and had to have. So that whole, 'Deeks thinks that Kensi caught the shark in mexico!' bit was either written thinking it was dumb and funny or it was written thinking it was funny...but came across as dumb, and both of those options are just...not great.

But more so, my reason for bringing this up is that their vibe in the bar scenes in those episodes, and her energy and attitude about the bar is so way off the mark from what it is in 10x19. It's consistently framed and referred to as his bar, mostly by Kensi, Deeks keeps correcting her. She never makes any suggestions about it, she doesn't push for him to go one direction or anything with it, she vetos the couple of names he has but never offers any of her own. The only joint action and decision they've actually had with the bar is when they were hiring people, and that didn't even show them not agreeing, the applicants were purposefully all bad.  But suddenly, it's causing them all this stress because they can't communicate or agree about it? I know continuity has never been this show's forte but honestly, it's a friggin bar and you can't take the time to remember the trajectory? It was clearly a 'hey! let's slot in a typical tv couple trope here because we can't think of anything else' move and that just sucks.

...and that's it. I'm done talking about it (hopefully, yikes).

Edited by dju
11 hours ago, Ellee said:

Oh please don’t lurk.  I don’t really have anything to add but I add anyway. 😁

I do random musings, and they are disjointed and random and many because I think of things at weird times of the night thanks to a puppy who sleeps inside because she loves cane toads and needs to be taken out, then I am wide awake 🙂 besides, I watch most episodes twice, then I think of other things.  I like reading other people's random musings, and actually well thought out musings too.  I don't watch a lot of series any more, thanks to Aussie TV seeming to show 8 part programs rather than the longer ones and that is what we seem to get on Netflix as well these days.  

On 4/1/2019 at 6:31 PM, dju said:

And I might be in the minority on this one but knowing we may get densi scenes is a large part of why I’m still watching. Compared to other seasons, they’ve barely been in it, so when we get shitty, nonsensical scenes between them like last night it’s frustrating.

Wow! To me this season has been nothing BUT Densi! They had the MOST screen time in the premiere, I think EVERY episode until the wedding had them talking ABOUT the wedding or some aspect (cake, seating, honeymoon, etc.). Then there was "Pro Se' in which Deeks got to showoff his very minimal attorney skills (not his fault, the writer's), but which contained still another Densi scene or two, and then there was "Better Angels" which was not only one of the dumbest premises ever (right up there with "Pro Se" this season) but was simply an homage to Kensi by Military, the newest Densi fangirl on the staff. And then there was "the wedding" for which TPTB developed a media blitz unseen for any other episode or character: 2 weeks of IG and Tweets, multiple interviews/articles, TV Guide cover, and a talk show appearance. No other character has had anywhere NEAR the screen time or story focus devoted to them that Densi has had this season (especially Kensi). If I never see another Densi scene the rest of this season, it will be too soon. I am maxed out, and while I like Kensi, I'm really getting tired of her this season.

• Love 4
On 4/2/2019 at 5:00 PM, threebluestars said:

I miss the old vibe, and I have no idea what went wrong.

IMHO, I think Gemmill (and Military) are what's gone wrong. For some reason, these two seem intent on making the show mostly about Kensi (maybe Deeks, but I get the feeling ECO will be around much less in S11) which, while I like her, will not work for me. This is an ensemble cast, and the strength has always been in the ensemble, but the focus (especially by Military) is ONLY on Kensi and Deeks (this from his interview) and Sam, but neither Gemmill nor Military seem to have any affection for Callen--and that is a BIG problem for me because he's like the glue of the team. He's seldom in the forefront of the story, but he's the lynch pin holding the team together. And all the guest actors just mess things up and seem to be brought in because the writers can't come up with good plots unless they have new faces. The writing this season has been overall awful imo. Boy, do I miss Brennan, Kalstein, and Wilson; heck, I miss the "old" Gemmill when he could write consistently.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, 123BP said:

IMHO, I think Gemmill (and Military) are what's gone wrong. For some reason, these two seem intent on making the show mostly about Kensi (maybe Deeks, but I get the feeling ECO will be around much less in S11) which, while I like her, will not work for me. This is an ensemble cast, and the strength has always been in the ensemble, but the focus (especially by Military) is ONLY on Kensi and Deeks (this from his interview) and Sam, but neither Gemmill nor Military seem to have any affection for Callen--and that is a BIG problem for me because he's like the glue of the team. He's seldom in the forefront of the story, but he's the lynch pin holding the team together. And all the guest actors just mess things up and seem to be brought in because the writers can't come up with good plots unless they have new faces. The writing this season has been overall awful imo. Boy, do I miss Brennan, Kalstein, and Wilson; heck, I miss the "old" Gemmill when he could write consistently.

This! And I know after 10 seasons, the other characters get a see in, but originally, it was all about Callen, finding who he is, where he came from, etc.  Now they have gone full circle, found his family and managed to "lose" his father, which in consequence, means he has technically, lost his family and we don't have any solutions to this problem

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, CaptainCranky said:

I love the passion for this show as evidenced by the amount of comments. Several shows I watch specifically Blue Bloods no one cares anymore.

I’ve never watched Blue Bloods.  Will that become another addiction if I do?  Do I need to start at the beginning if I start?

I’m glad I didn’t start watching this show during a reorganization season.  I don’t think I would have continued watching.  Now I watch just because I’m in the  ‘what the heck are they doing’ thought process. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, CaptainCranky said:

I love the passion for this show as evidenced by the amount of comments. Several shows I watch specifically Blue Bloods no one cares anymore.

Well I watch Blue Bloods too but I don’t remember there ever being many comments. 

On 4/6/2019 at 8:29 AM, GussieK said:

Well I watch Blue Bloods too but I don’t remember there ever being many comments. 

I wonder if the lack of comments about some shows is because the writing for them is so much better. lol

12 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I'm voting for renewed, since the storyline for Mac & Harm is supposed to go into next season. 

Probably,  but then again old JAG fans are further from the targeted demo than NCIS fans.

• Love 1

I would be surprised if they don't renew the show. I have no idea how expensive it is to produce but I think they're doing pretty well ratings wise, and they're in syndication, so I'm having a hard time believing that CBS is losing money.

But the announcements seem to be getting later and later.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, kassygreene said:

I'm expecting renewed, because they seem to be shooting two episodes for next season before they break.

I don't know why I think that, but they have done it before.

I’m not sure that’s a guarantee one way or the other. 

The episodes are probably being filmed now because Mac and Harm are in them and it’s probably easier to film all their episodes in one block rather than bringing them back after the hiatus. 

If the show didn’t get renewed they’d probably just air those two eps at the end of this season to tie up that storyline. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

So, do you people feel that NCIS: LA is going to be renewed or cancelled?  By this time last year, didn't we know?  I hate the not knowing.  Thoughts? 

I think it'll be renewed. Sunday nights are tough and the viewers have been pretty steady (they had a drop off last season more because some viewers couldn't stand Mosley). I remember S7 finale was written because TPTB didn't know if it would be renewed, but I think every season since then, they've known before they shoot the finale even if the viewers don't. I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes next season, though (like Fatima becoming a regular and seeing less of Deeks with everything ECO has going on outside the series). Regardless, if they don't improve the writing, I can't see it continuing into S12.

• Love 1

https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=52454

So, Anna and Joelle are going to finally meet in episode 22. This could be interesting for everyone. Glad to see this episode is written by the same team that wrote episode 21. Thing I like is I have no idea how any of this is gonna play out. Will Callen and Anna be a couple? What about Callen and Joelle? Is Anna on a mission? Is Joelle? And what happens to Callen's dad?

• Love 1

https://www.tvmaze.com/episodes/1628580/ncis-los-angeles-10x21-the-one-that-got-away has the spoiler for episode 21. the next episode doesn't hint at what will happen with Anna and Joelle though.  I can't see the link above from ymeagain.  

10x20 Choke Point

While I enjoyed the episode, possibly because Hetty was back, I have some issues with it too.

1. When did Sam become so impulsive?  Even when Michelle was kidnapped, he wasn't so rash.  He had a plan.  The banging on the door and shouting out "Federal Agents" was not of character. 

2.  Callen and his wisecracks.  He knows by now they just irritate Sam, so why was he trying to crack the funnies? Where was his voice of reason saying, "Remember your training. Slow down. Lets be calculating, not impulsive."?  He needs to leave the constant wisecracks to Deeks.  Then the one off ones from Callen fit so much better. 

However, I did love the touching time between Nell and Hetty and I did love Kensi being so in tune with the case. The William Wallace reference and then Deeks' impression at the end was a little funny. 

I am not sure where they are heading with Fatima.  While I don't mind her, are they trying to introduce a Hidoko-type character?  Not as in the report back to someone (like Hidoko did Mosely), but someone that works with both the Hardy Boys/Kensi and with the 2 in ops too.  I would have preferred they didn't kill of Hidoko, to be honest. 

I am still so glad Hetty is back.  Linda Hunt was sitting for the most part, but she seemed to be moving better when she got up to hug Nell, compared to her movements in Kensi and Deeks' wedding.  Hopefully, this means we will see more of her.  My fingers are crossed. 

Am really looking forward to the next episode too, hopefully, more Hetty and between this one and episode 22, we get some sort of resolve between Anna and Callen.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

1. When did Sam become so impulsive?  Even when Michelle was kidnapped, he wasn't so rash.  He had a plan.  The banging on the door and shouting out "Federal Agents" was not of character. 

2.  Callen and his wisecracks.  He knows by now they just irritate Sam, so why was he trying to crack the funnies? Where was his voice of reason saying, "Remember your training. Slow down. Lets be calculating, not impulsive."?  He needs to leave the constant wisecracks to Deeks.  Then the one off ones from Callen fit so much better. 

I completely agree with both of these points. 

I actually did like the episode as a whole, but to be honest, there were moments where everyone's performances came off as a little disingenuous to me, even faintly caricature-ish. Like we’re pushing things a little too hard or we’re trying something different and it's not working? The moments that were supposed to be funny, in particular, didn't land for me. Like the scene between Eric and Hetty, I laughed right at the beginning of it, but they dragged it on for far too long that it lost its effect.  

• Love 3

I am of the opinion that Linda Hunts’ scenes in both this episode and the wedding episode were filmed on the same day.  She’s wearing the same outfit. 

If not totally,  then I think they filmed the seated scenes  for both episodes together and the standing  scenes later.  She looked fragile while seated last night, but better when standing. 

I was also confused by Sam’s behavior. He showed less control in this episode than any other I remember. 

• Love 1

I started rewatching the episode and saw the comment about Callen watching late night movies and not sleeping. Yes, that can cause someone to ramble lots, however, I also remember in one of the first couple of seasons, Callen was sleeping on the couch next to the their office and Kensi was about to offer her spare room to him and Sam stopped her, saying he never slept and kept everyone awake.  Maybe, in the years between, owning his own house, and feeling safe, albeit for a little while, he got into more regular sleep patterns and the not sleeping thing is screwing him up mentally.  Really though, I can't explain it :). 

I didn't notice the same clothes for Hetty.  Surely wardrobe would have picked up on that?  

I really did like her calming influence on the wonder twins.  I found it a little strange that Nell began to show stress.  She has had a good 8 years of being groomed by Hetty.  Even in season 6, when Hetty was being hauled in front of the appropriations committee or what ever it was, and Nell pretended to be Hetty, she was still calm and rational.  She showed she was able to run things fairly well.  At times, yes, she got snappy, but never did she become scatty.  Eric being so hyped is nothing new.  However, if he really wants to be an active field agent, that is certainly against him.  Hetty has always had a calming influence on Eric. 

The more I watch Deeks, he reminds me of the really smart kid who doesn't want to be associated with being smart.  While I don't really mind his occasional senseless comments, the writers  seem to be ramping them up a lot of late. 

• Love 1

This was I thought a good show with a decent plot and a lot of the crew which I enjoyed. I like the addition of Fatima. I FF through all the Nell and Eric scenes even though they were with Hetty. I'm very fed up with the pair.

Sam being so extra amped up was strange to me and waaay out of character.  Yes, a fellow SEAL was injured by the bad guys, but he wasn't a SEAL Sam knew personally so should take it so personally.  As pointed out, Sam didn't freak out this much when it was his own wife who was kidnapped.  I get it, we're supposed to believe all SEALS, "we're all family, hurt one you hurt us all" and all that jazz, but I have to think that Sam would show just a leetle bit more emotion and panic over his wife than over some randomly injured SEAL.

I am digging Fatima as a new character, I liked how she used herself and her obviously Muslim appearance to rile up the white nationalist guy.  She's got a tool, and she's using it.  I do still miss Hidoko though.  I liked the actress and the character.

So next week we get Anna back.  <yawn>  I'm not fond of her character and I just wish they'd lose her in prison.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Sam being so extra amped up was strange to me and waaay out of character.

Don't you just hate it when they write scripts that completely change the personalities of the characters? It just irks me.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, JayDub said:

This was I thought a good show with a decent plot and a lot of the crew which I enjoyed. I like the addition of Fatima. I FF through all the Nell and Eric scenes even though they were with Hetty. I'm very fed up with the pair.

The bonus was, Hetty did calm them down a lot.  

13 hours ago, preeya said:

Don't you just hate it when they write scripts that completely change the personalities of the characters? It just irks me.

This has been a problem for me the entire season. IDK what the problem is, but every writer seems to write episodes and make the characters the way the writer wants that character to be and this makes the characters so inconsistent, it just disrupts entire episodes. Sam was WAY out of character (this isn't the first time an episode has involved a SEAL), as was Callen--he has NEVER watched TV (in fact, he didn't even OWN a TV a few episodes back), and what was up with Kensi? OMG, I thought she was on something, she was so silly. And I wish they would get SOMEONE who can actually remember past episode: Callen and Sam have had THREE different conversations about pets and they were all better than this conversation. Kensi really annoyed me in this episode from her snarky attitude with Deeks to her telling Sam to "calm down" (coming from the woman married to the team member who's lost control more often than any other team member was ironic--as was Deeks putting in his two cents worth). PLEASE, writers, review some of the earlier episodes and TRY to write characters with consistency and true to their personalities. BTW, this is a series, so having things--like arguments about the bar and pain/anger over losing your family and girlfriend--can continue into the following episode instead of having characters act as though none of these things ever happened. I'm glad they're going to resolve the Anna storyline, but I don't have any hope that it will be well done or that the Nikita storyline will make sense. This has just been a MISERABLE season imo because the writing just sucks. I don't know that I even care if there IS a S11.

• Love 5
On 4/22/2019 at 11:08 AM, anna0852 said:

We're renewed for Season 11! Notice is up on CBS social media.

Mixed feelings: if the eps are as badly written as this season--yawn. I kinda think we'll be seeing less of Deeks (what with ECO having two shows in the works), hope to see more of the Callen of old, less of "Wonder Woman" Kensi, and spread the undercover assignments among the team cuz Sam's had the bulk of them since S8.

Hope the final 4 eps are worth watching since they come on an hour later.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, ymeagain said:

Mixed feelings: if the eps are as badly written as this season--yawn. I kinda think we'll be seeing less of Deeks (what with ECO having two shows in the works), hope to see more of the Callen of old, less of "Wonder Woman" Kensi, and spread the undercover assignments among the team cuz Sam's had the bulk of them since S8.

Hope the final 4 eps are worth watching since they come on an hour later.

I am just hoping they have undercover assignments, there really hasn't been any, only investigations of late.

• Love 2

On 4/25/2019 at 2:00 PM, ymeagain said:

I kinda think we'll be seeing less of Deeks (what with ECO having two shows in the works)

Well, hopefully not any less than what's already been the case since S9. I think they've done a fairly steady job in both S9 and S10 when it comes to creating reasons for why Deeks is absent for entire cases or just isn't involved in the functioning of the main team so it's not completely noticeable but if his screentime needs to get pulled any further it'll start to stand out, imo. Unless they're going to go down the  'Deeks leaves NCIS to be a family man' route, therefore, giving a justifiable reason why we are seeing so little of him, but I don't see that happening anymore without Kensi. He's staying in for as long as she is at this point.

On 4/26/2019 at 3:45 AM, LittlePeas3 said:

I am just hoping they have undercover assignments, there really hasn't been any, only investigations of late.

Agreed. We got a hint of Kensi's undercover assignment when she was wearing that blonde wig, but I'd prefer to watch the threads of the assignment in action as opposed to the fallout of it.

• Love 1

"I'm glad they're going to resolve the Anna storyline, but I don't have any hope that it will be well done or that the Nikita storyline will make sense."

To me the best resolution is for Anna to disappear from Callen's life (and the show) for good this time.  Never liked the character from the beginning and I cared less about her as time went on.  Would love to see them focus more on Callen -- As someone above said, he is the backbone of the show and should be front and center, not shoved into the background as has happened way too often lately.  He is, after all, the agent in charge. Also, when is he going after his father and bring him home?  That's the story I want to see.

Wanted to say that I just found this forum and I recently started to watch NCIS LA and love the show.  I don't watch either of the others and I don't plan on it.  I love the characters on this show and their interaction and chemistry.  Love that Linda Hunt is back and can't wait for Season 12.

(sorry if I posted this incorrectly)

• Love 3