Type keyword(s) to search

Spring Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/6/2022 at 10:54 AM, RuntheTable said:
On 4/5/2022 at 5:09 PM, Shermie said:

I wonder if Molly might be more suited to host a kids baking show.

And once again NOOOOOooooo!!! I absolutely love the KBC. Those kids are so focused and trying so hard. Molly's inane natter would destroy them. 

Could you imagine how Ellora would have reacted to Molly? 'Thank you for stopping by, but I have a lot of work to do right now.'

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 6
On 4/4/2022 at 8:15 PM, butterbody said:

Ooohhhh Molly. This time you have gone too far. What kind of mean girls shit was that?

"Oh, was that timer for your bacon? Whoopsies" 

Thank you!  Just another example of Molly distracting the bakers from their task. I couldn't believe it!

I don't care for Tom either. I've been less than impressed with his bakes, both of his bakes Monday looked sloppy & a mess.  It seems like Food Network always has to select the stereotypical overtly gay guy on all their shows. Honestly don't care if he's a drag queen, I feel like he's constantly mugging for the camera. Agree with the poster upthread who felt he was trying to become a FN judge.  Jason, from several seasons ago successfully transitions to becoming a judge, but unlike Tom had true talent.

• Love 9
On 4/8/2022 at 5:06 PM, String Theory said:

Agree with the poster upthread who felt he was trying to become a FN judge.  Jason, from several seasons ago successfully transitions to becoming a judge, but unlike Tom had true talent.

Interesting to mention Jason, whose shtick is also dialed up to 11, either on his own or as the result of producer intervention.  Maybe Jason and Molly could host a show together -- and none of us would feel badly about avoiding it!

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I enjoy Jason. I think the way he acts on some of the shows is producer driven. I have seen him on other shows where is is not so over the top country. 

I like Jason, too, and agree that he isn’t over the top all of the time.

• Love 8

This was the absolute worst episode ever! I was embarrassed for Molly trying to make the cookie salad a thing. All the bakers were making faces. If i were a baker on the show, i would not have been able to hold in my distaste. This was a joke of an episode. This isn’t a potluck, it’s a baking championship! And it was completely unfair to give someone fresh figs for a cookie salad, when others got canned fruit—which actually belongs in something like that crap. 

• Love 17

Eliminating the good bakers because they are not “friends” with kindergarten brain Molly when she bugs them !

Its so sad  what they have done to this show ! Molly is plainly a childish idiot and obviously has no clue about real baking , so they make her control the ingredients and challenges ?

Irs so obvious that this season is pure BS with the contestants who have a reality show moment being kept on the show while they mess up repeatedly! 

• Love 13

I get people not liking Molly but I don't think these interviews are her fault.I don't know why they want the bakers interrupted like this but they're clearly producer-driven/set up. 

I think I reacted to the idea of tomato soup cake with peanut butter and jelly filling the way many of you reacted to a cookie salad.  Blech.  (btw, it's not the idea of a tomato soup cake; it's the idea of pairing peanut butter with that.)

I want to try that black sesame cake and Tom's biscuits based on how the table was reacting to them.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

The Contestants look like they are over this show. There doesn’t seem to be any joy in the kitchen or excitement about what they are doing. They all seem to dread the challenge announcement and no one seems to want to talk to Molly. It is just a really bad season.

Tonight was the absolute worst...giving bakers pictures of her farm, to be decorated only using a palette knife, ingredients like tomato soup?  Unfortunately, one of the best bakers (Diego) was sent packing.  Tom was rewarded for his biscuit...come on.

ITA this season is the WORST.  I won't be watching any longer. It's fairly obvious the baker who kisses Molly's backside the most will ultimately win, which is unfortunate. 

• Love 13

I so wanted to reach into my TV and just smack Molly.  Her childish jabber and facial expressions seemed even worse than usual or maybe I've just reached the saturation point.  I feel very sorry for the serious bakers who had to put up with her and with dumb challenges like last week's cookie salad.  I hope FN is reading comments and not making a lot of excuses for her.  She's ruining what used to be one of my favorite shows.

• Love 16

Thank you all for helping me decide to just delete tonight's episode off my DVR. It felt really good to do it, and I'm sure I will be making the same decision for the rest of the season. Also, thank you for sharing the link so not only do you all know, but now FN knows. What an embarrassment of a season.

• Love 7

Tomato soup incorporated into a cake?  In what world could that EVER have been tasty?  It sounds absolutely awful.  And it HAD to change the cake consistency dramatically.  That was a very bad draw for poor Diego who was one of the best of the season, I thought.  He was extremely gracious when he was given the boot.  

• Love 12

I missed watching the show live.  I am grateful that I came here first before watching, since one of people I was still watching for, Diego, was sent home and so I don't need to watch this unmitigated crap.  It sounds like Molly is trying to outdo herself and one of her playmates will win.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Tomato soup incorporated into a cake?  In what world could that EVER have been tasty?  It sounds absolutely awful.  And it HAD to change the cake consistency dramatically.  That was a very bad draw for poor Diego who was one of the best of the season, I thought.  He was extremely gracious when he was given the boot.  

I wonder if he was glad to be gone and not have to bake crap that Molly came up with and also put up with her personality and the obvious favorites on the show 

• Love 6

I'm sorry but that pallette knife technique is disgusting.  Jaleesa had the right idea, and no wonder she won.  Everyone else's cake looked like it was fingerpainted in a kindergarten class.  That tomato soup thing is apparently a famous chocolate cake recipe, as is sauerkraut, but you clearly have to know what you're doing or it changes the integrity of the cake.  Arrivederci, Diego, sad to see you go!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I have seen it on a baking show one other time and I want to say it worked out. 

7 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

OMG, can Molly leave these bakers alone?  They’re trying to win a competition, not play 20 questions with her.

Interesting that watching the Julia Child Challenge, the judges asked questions but they were brief and to the point and mainly about the food! The gave some advice if needed and then moved on. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, orangekit said:

I wonder if he was glad to be gone and not have to bake crap that Molly came up with and also put up with her personality and the obvious favorites on the show 

I got a feeling by his reaction that he was just fed up with this whole competition. Maybe not glad to be gone but just over the whole thing. 

2 hours ago, orangekit said:

They seemed to imply that Justin and Romy are bottom two next week. 

as someone said above, thank you all. Now I know not to bother even trying this episode. I watched 5 minutes of the cookie salad episode and quit that one as well. Frankly, I just don't give a damn.

• Love 6

Molly has ruined what once was an enjoyable show.  Not only do some of the contestants seem over her, so does Duff.  It's like she's purposefully sabotaging the top contestants with her stupid challenges.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I get people not liking Molly but I don't think these interviews are her fault.I don't know why they want the bakers interrupted like this but they're clearly producer-driven/set up. 

I think I reacted to the idea of tomato soup cake with peanut butter and jelly filling the way many of you reacted to a cookie salad.  Blech.  (btw, it's not the idea of a tomato soup cake; it's the idea of pairing peanut butter with that.)

I want to try that black sesame cake and Tom's biscuits based on how the table was reacting to them.

I know the Producers send her to interview everyone, all the hosts do that. Most of the other hosts stopped for a few sentences, normally a joke or two to try and lighten the mood, and then they moved on. I have never seen another host turn off someone's timer and keep talking to that Contestant. If the timer went off the host said bye and let the Contestant deal with what they needed to deal with. 

I get that some of Molly's schtick is Producer driven and we have no clue how much of that is them and her. But I know that Clinton and Jesse and the others did a lot of "I see your busy so I am out." Also their banter seemed more playful and joking. Never mind the fact that the challenges were actually appropriate baking challenges and not idiocy like Cookie Salad. How many football challenges were there when Jesse was the host? Or interior design when Clinton was the host? 

I don't mind novel ingredients in the challenge but tomato soup? What the hell? I know that there have been Bakers who used sauerkraut in their cakes in the past, it stood out when they did it, so while that is a bit out there I knew people used it. So that was tricky but at least not totally out of the realm of possibilities. 

I think it matters less now how much is on Molly or Production, the Bakers are done with this and I think a good number of viewers are as well. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

They seemed to imply that Justin and Romy are bottom two next week. 

Of course they are. They are extremely talented and low-drama. Color blindness simply cannot compete these days with a coming out story, panic attacks, and glitter.

• Love 5

Some of the cakes they praised for design looked sloppy and unappealing to me. Justin received a ingredient with a subtle taste so how can it compete with jalapeños and sauerkraut? I did think Jaleesa’s chicken looked good but all the other cakes looked messy to me, except for Justin’s plain one. Why do all the challenges have to relate to Molly’s life? They have never done that with the hosts before. And it seems like Kardea is the head judge now-how did that happen? 

• Love 20
56 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I get that some of Molly's schtick is Producer driven and we have no clue how much of that is them and her. But I know that Clinton and Jesse and the others did a lot of "I see your busy so I am out."

"Tell me about the first time you made this recipe."

"Why is this recipe so meaningful to you?"

"What kind of things did you do as a kid?"

"Tell me a secret about yourself."

Yeah, the other hosts never asked these kind of bs questions.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

"Tell me about the first time you made this recipe."

"Why is this recipe so meaningful to you?"

"What kind of things did you do as a kid?"

"Tell me a secret about yourself."

Yeah, the other hosts never asked these kind of bs questions.

I'll give the first question a pass as it is related to the task at hand. A secret? What you did as a kid? Who cares?

13 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Some of the cakes they praised for design looked sloppy and unappealing to me. Justin received a ingredient with a subtle taste so how can it compete with jalapeños and sauerkraut? I did think Jaleesa’s chicken looked good but all the other cakes looked messy to me, except for Justin’s plain one. Why do all the challenges have to relate to Molly’s life? They have never done that with the hosts before. And it seems like Kardea is the head judge now-how did that happen? 

I thought Justin's cake was lovely, but the tractor was out of place. 

• Love 1

Ok, I going to have to defend the tomato soup cake. I have made it and it is delicious. The recipe used was a spice cake and no you can't taste the tomato soup. It gives the cake an unique flavor but you definitely don't think tomato soup..more of ` This cake is great no one make it like you'. I think the idea is from the 50`s and just because something is old does not make it bad. However jalapeños in cake is something I would have a problem with. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Ok, I going to have to defend the tomato soup cake. I have made it and it is delicious. The recipe used was a spice cake and no you can't taste the tomato soup. It gives the cake an unique flavor but you definitely don't think tomato soup..more of ` This cake is great no one make it like you'. I think the idea is from the 50`s and just because something is old does not make it bad. However jalapeños in cake is something I would have a problem with. 

But then the judges would complain that they can't taste the tomato soup. They want to taste the random ingredient you are given to work with. 

So the tomato soup cake sounds like cookie salad, something we have not seen on previous shows that is likely a regional thing. The sauerkraut I have seen before on a show but only a few time. Spicy peppers I have seen on Kids Baking Champion so I figure the adults should be able to figure out. 

Overall, this season has failed for me. The ridiculous bake off only to lose the winner the next episode. Ridiculous themes. Stupid desserts. 

• Love 11

Thank you everyone for the posts about last night’s show . I was thinking of trying to watch it but now I know it’s not something I want to see !

The thought of Molly’s ridiculous ideas being presented as baking , and seeing her annoying expressions and hearing her silly conversations wse bad enough ! But now that my suspicions were right and the bakers who talk to Molly and are “friends “ being saved  and talented bakers going home , I didn’t bother to watch and took  this off od my DVR !

I am also disappointed in Duff who I usually respect and like ! He literally was insulting posters on Twitter who dared comment about not liking Molly by insulting them !

One poster said Molly was “unwatchable “, so Duff replied with , “your face is unwatchable “! WTF?? Is he also a child ?  
Can’t stand Kardea either since she plays obvious favorites.

Nancy appears to have a more than normal need for booze and is ridiculous too at times , but I at this point she’s the only host or judge I can tolerate since she doesn’t seem to be playing favorites or pandering to childish Molly!

Hopefully dippy Molly will not be hosting end ruining other baking shows . If she is hosting , I won’t even bother to try watching on the future !

Edited by goldenpuppy
  • Love 3

I don't understand Nancy being so in love with the way Tom's cake looked. That thing was a complete mess.

Hopefully, Diego, Justin, or Romy pop up on The Big Bake or something because they deserve better than this nonsense.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Popples said:

I don't understand Nancy being so in love with the way Tom's cake looked. That thing was a complete mess.

Hopefully, Diego, Justin, or Romy pop up on The Big Bake or something because they deserve better than this nonsense.

I take back what I said about Nancy if she is pandering to obnoxious, attention seeking Tom too ! Yuck 

7 minutes ago, goldenpuppy said:

But now that my suspicions were right and the bakers who talk to Molly and are “friends “ being saved  and talented bakers going home ,

I'll be shocked if the final three aren't Dennis, Tom, and Jaleesa.  Teacher's Pet Bake-Off.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, goldenpuppy said:

I am also disappointed in Duff who I usually respect and like ! He literally was insulting posters on Twitter who dared comment about not liking Molly by insulting them !

One poster said Molly was “unwatchable “, so Duff replied with , “your face is unwatchable “! WTF?? Is he also a child ?  

What a way to alienate your audience. What a shitty remark, pardon my language. If I was that person, I would complain to FN and let them know if that is how their personalities feel about us, we can do without them. 

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

But then the judges would complain that they can't taste the tomato soup. They want to taste the random ingredient you are given to work with. 

So the tomato soup cake sounds like cookie salad, something we have not seen on previous shows that is likely a regional thing. The sauerkraut I have seen before on a show but only a few time. Spicy peppers I have seen on Kids Baking Champion so I figure the adults should be able to figure out. 

Overall, this season has failed for me. The ridiculous bake off only to lose the winner the next episode. Ridiculous themes. Stupid desserts. 

They should judge the cake for what it should taste like. With the tomato soup cake you will be able to taste the unique flavor the soup gives the cake. If you take a bite and it tastes like tomato soup you did not make it correct. Just as if you use mayonnaise is a cake you should have a very most cake not one that tastes like mayonnaise. Yes using mayonnaise in a cake is a thing, makes a fantastically moist chocolate cake.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I'll be shocked if the final three aren't Dennis, Tom, and Jaleesa.  Teacher's Pet Bake-Off.

Of course it will be. Is next week the final? Since I thought I saw Justin and Romy in the bottom two, I bet BOTH will go home! 

1 minute ago, crazycatlady58 said:

They should judge the cake for what it should taste like. With the tomato soup cake you will be able to taste the unique flavor the soup gives the cake. If you take a bite and it tastes like tomato soup you did not make it correct. Just as if you use mayonnaise is a cake you should have a very most cake not one that tastes like mayonnaise. Yes using mayonnaise in a cake is a thing, makes a fantastically moist chocolate cake.

You see people using mayo in cakes all the time on these shows. 

The reality is that the Judges want to taste the special ingredient, remember the King Cake mess? Or even in the preheat, they always comment if they cannot identify the special ingredient. So while there appears to be a recipe that uses tomato soup in a cake, you cannot identify the tomato soup flavor. which the Judges will comment on. They mentioned how they tasted each of the other ingredients and even complimented Remy for having sauerkraut that was identifiable not not vinegary. They expected to taste the jalapeno and not just something with a bite or some heat. 

They fully expected a cake with tomato soup where they could taste the tomato soup because it was the surprise ingredient. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

You see people using mayo in cakes all the time on these shows. 

The reality is that the Judges want to taste the special ingredient, remember the King Cake mess? Or even in the preheat, they always comment if they cannot identify the special ingredient. So while there appears to be a recipe that uses tomato soup in a cake, you cannot identify the tomato soup flavor. which the Judges will comment on. They mentioned how they tasted each of the other ingredients and even complimented Remy for having sauerkraut that was identifiable not not vinegary. They expected to taste the jalapeno and not just something with a bite or some heat. 

They fully expected a cake with tomato soup where they could taste the tomato soup because it was the surprise ingredient. 

I do understand that, but who wants to taste tomato soup in a cake? I would rather taste what it can do for the cake and not a tomato cake. Under other circumstance, he could have gone savory but not with all that decoration. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I do understand that, but who wants to taste tomato soup in a cake? I would rather taste what it can do for the cake and not a tomato cake. Under other circumstance, he could have gone savory but not with all that decoration. 

But it does not taste like tomato cake it is not supposed to. The cake I make tastes like a spice cake with a unique flavor. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, crazycatlady58 said:

But it does not taste like tomato cake it is not supposed to. The cake I make tastes like a spice cake with a unique flavor. 

That is what I mean, it shouldn't taste like a bowl of tomato soup. That is the problem when you surprise the baker's with these kind of ingredients, they aren't necessarily something  you want to taste in a cake! 

• Love 2

I am not disagreeing that a tomato soup flavored cake sounds gross to me but that is one of the main criticism from the Judges. we hear them say it all the time so there is no reason for Diego to think that they would not want to taste the tomato soup in his cake.

I am not disagreeing that there are apparently recipes that use tomato soup, but that is not what the judges wanted.  

• Love 6
On 4/5/2022 at 5:06 PM, ninjakid said:

It's a Minnesota thing. If it's hot, it's a hot dish, if it's cold, it's a salad. I don't understand why, but that's how it's done. 

Ah no, no it's not.  Yes, we Minnesotans say "hot dish" not "casserole," but not all entrees are in the hot dish category, and we do not lump everything cold into a "salad" category.  What an odd generalization.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Maya said:

I honestly think Molly might have some sort of development delay. She’s weirdly juvenile and doesn’t understand social cues. 

She’s definitely  weird and childish ! The fact she looks forward to burp and fart jokes when he sister comes to visit shows something is just not right with her maturity level ! I also get 1 socially weird gift from her hubby too !

2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

What a way to alienate your audience. What a shitty remark, pardon my language. If I was that person, I would complain to FN and let them know if that is how their personalities feel about us, we can do without them. 

I saw that post by Duff and couldn’t believe it ! I have always liked Duff , but wow ! He insulted and attacked two posters on Twitter who dared be honest about how much Molly sucks as a host !  He actually was snarky and mean and told another poster off who dared say Molly tells too much ! So Duff snapped back insulting them poster !  Of course others who probably hate Molly but don’t want Duff to snap at them suddenly say that they like her or she might not be too bad !

I am not to surprised at how childish,  annoying and sappy Molly is , since she’s been that way on her cooking show ever since it got popular! At first she was not so bad . However,  I am surprised at how immature Duff is behaving toward posters who dare criticize Molly ! I get she probably is a friend of his , but just because she acts 8 years old , doesn’t mean she is a child . She’s supposedly a grown woman who is making millions , and if she doesn’t want people to say she’s unwatchable she should stop acting like she’s in preschool ! Then again , the fact that Duff married someone tone enough to be his daughter, and looks like his daughter in their wedding picture might be an indication of his lack of maturity too ! 

• Love 2