Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01 Octavia's Story

• Start Topic

After being bed bound for a year, Octavia must take it upon herself to change her eating habits and unhealthy lifestyle by traveling to Houston to seek Dr. Now's help, but she must ignore her best friend who is also her worst enabler.

This is the regular episode thread.  It will be open after the US East Coast showing for your post show thoughts. 

Original air date 2018.01.02 

1 hour ago, Morgalisa said:

Thank God for Calita. I dont think the enabler lost an ounce.  From the looks of her neck, I think she is diabetic.

I think Octavia was very attractive. I love her hair.

It's a wig. It shifted....

• Love 3

It was refreshing to see a nice manipulator versus someone who snaps when they don't get their plate of a dozen scrambled eggs and ten bacon NOW.  But it could have been less manipulation and more Octavia and her friend became too isolated and got trapped in their delusion and denial.

I'm really glad Dr. Now is paying lip service to these people need to be vetted by a doctor before they load themselves in a van to Houston or take medical transport.  I'm surprised more people don't get seriously ill or die, maybe they do and TLC chooses not to continue filming or they scrap the episodes.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 14

How are you all doin'?  It's January! Time for TLC's weight themed programming! Which is better than wall to wall 90 Day Fiance.

It was refreshing to see a clean home, and a subject that kept herself clean. Even Octavia's bed, that she was in 24/7, had clean sheets and a bright comforter. And she made jewelry (when she wasn't eating), and put on some make up when she left the house. It was nice not to see total grossness for a change. I missed the pee pee pad discussion in the beginning. At least she kept Fabreeze by the bed. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 19

From knowing several people who have had weight loss surgery, I suspect that the patients see therapists to qualify for the program, a nutritionist, and a lot of other things we never see.     I'm guessing continuing with the therapist is something they're encouraged to do, after surgery, but then they can't make them do it.     

My friends also could join support groups for patients, and that was surreal.    One friend had a support group where there were about ten regular members, and they rotated meetings in their houses, and they were potluck type refreshments.     My friend's wife was shocked at the 'snacks' people brought that were definitely not correct for the post WLS diet, and how the people who brought the worst items, with the most empty calories were complaining about their weight loss stopping, or reversing.    

• Love 14
1 minute ago, Sterling said:

I always wonder why Dr. Now doesn't start them on therapy right away?  I get that he needs them to commit, but they do need to understand the root of it, and they can do the therapy while they're working on losing the first 50.

Therapy should be the first thing they begin because most of the participants on this show have experienced major trauma. I suspect therapy doesn't come up until later because TLC wants lots footage of their (assumed) personality disorders on full display.  I do know a psych evaluation is required before bariatric surgery in the real world, I wonder if people on the show get them but that doesn't get shown. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

From knowing several people who have had weight loss surgery, I suspect that the patients see therapists to qualify for the program, a nutritionist, and a lot of other things we never see.     I'm guessing continuing with the therapist is something they're encouraged to do, after surgery, but then they can't make them do it.     

My friends also could join support groups for patients, and that was surreal.    One friend had a support group where there were about ten regular members, and they rotated meetings in their houses, and they were potluck type refreshments.     My friend's wife was shocked at the 'snacks' people brought that were definitely not correct for the post WLS diet, and how the people who brought the worst items, with the most empty calories were complaining about their weight loss stopping, or reversing.    

Therapy should be the first line of defense for these participants, even before they move to Houston.  In fact, it should be a prerequisite.  

And yeah, pretty shocking that they wouldn't do potluck "on plan" foods....salads, cold cuts, etc.  Surgery alone doesn't work.

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Sterling said:

think a lot of times, the enablers don't want the participant to lose the weight, because often, friendships and relationships are treated like competitions.

A good point.  But often it's family and even children that are cleaning and feeding the bed-bound obese.  It seems such a simple thing to limit the amount of food and take away the phone, since the enabler is in charge and the obese cannot move.  I wouldn't care how much they yelled.  But, then, I've never been in that situation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
49 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

The show follows such a rigid formula it's becoming boring and predictable (for me anyway).  We start off with scenes of rivers and streams while the subject reads a poem.  Then she tells us about her awful life and the only comfort was to eat herself into obesity. Then the usual sponge bath eyesore.  Then the laptop talk with Dr. Now. Then the trip to Houston in some kind of van. They promise to lose 50 pounds.  We know they won't because they film the patient cheating. Dr. Now gets serious and angry.  Patient wakes up to the program and loses required amount.  Surgery. And some post surgery scenes.

It's all the same episode only featuring different people.  I wish they'd shake the formula up a bit.

I know, right.  That's why I'm getting so bored with this show and didn't make it through last night.  It's like a sitcom that is always in reruns.

It's the enablers that fascinate me more.  Why do they do it?  

Well there are a lot of reasons. 

It could be that they find the addict easier to control when he is in the throes of his addiction.  We've seen some of that with female participants married to "chubby chasers".

It could be that the enabler is simply meek and the addict strong and aggressive.  I think it's too easy for us at home to think we'd be tough and stand up to the addict, but it's always easy to be tough in your imagination when there are no real stakes or effort.

It could be love.  It's a twisted love, but some people think that giving a person they love the thing that makes them happy is always good, regardless of the destructive nature of that thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

The show follows such a rigid formula it's becoming boring and predictable (for me anyway).  We start off with scenes of rivers and streams while the subject reads a poem.  Then she tells us about her awful life and the only comfort was to eat herself into obesity. Then the usual sponge bath eyesore.  Then the laptop talk with Dr. Now. Then the trip to Houston in some kind of van. They promise to lose 50 pounds.  We know they won't because they film the patient cheating. Dr. Now gets serious and angry.  Patient wakes up to the program and loses required amount.  Surgery. And some post surgery scenes.

It's all the same episode only featuring different people.  I wish they'd shake the formula up a bit.

That cracking noise was the sound of you hitting the nail right on the head. This show has become the Mad Libs of reality TV. Also, two hours is too long, unless we actually see the patient make some progress.

What Octavia went through as a child is horrific and I hope the man who raped her was brought to justice.

• Love 10

I'm going to raise my hand and say I don't care about the backstories.  I FF through them.  

I always like it when Dr Now calls out the enablers who are frequently close to the same size as the patient.  The look of surprise and shock is just amusing.  And it's usually the same story.  While I understand the relationship between enabler and patient is complicated, the 600 pounders don't get this way alone.

Nechelle was a good example of this. She pouted for two weeks after her scolding.  She didn't want to hear it.  What did she think was going to happen?  Do these people these people even watch this show?

Before they ever get to Houston, they should be required to watch Sean, Assantis, Penny, Lisa and James.  All people who thought they were smarter than the program.  Then watch several success stories like Diana. 

Edited by toodles
  • Useful 1
  • Love 17

Can someone tell me what she has to be stressed about? Just asking.

I did not watch the broadcast so I missed the live chat. I will be on board next week.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

It's the enablers that fascinate me more.  Why do they do it?  

what fascinates me (or perplexes me) is why lay on a bed all day staring at a phone or walls being BORED when you could try...STANDING.  Do SOMETHING.  I know depriving yourself of food is difficult, but trying to be mobile should be somewhat more exciting.  

• Love 18

She finally started doing well and I am happy for her.  She deserves a better life as life had put her through the ringer as a child and teenager.  Very pretty woman.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 9

I try to give them a break and not be so judgmental because I have about 30 pounds to lose that I am always working on, not always succesfully. When I do lose weight, I only maintain it for a couple of years. And these people are dealing with depression usually and I am not. I find myself sometimes loving my dogs with food, so I can somewhat identify with the enablers.  When I was thin people praised me no matter what I ate. I eat better now that I am overweight than I ever did when I was slender.

• Love 14

I think there's also a caretaker syndrome going on too.    They want the person totally dependent on them, because it makes the caretaker look like they're sacrificing their life to help the person.   But in reality, they don't want the person to get better so they can always look like the heroic rescuer.  

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Kid said:

I did not watch the broadcast so I missed the live chat. I will be on board next week.

Since that very subject was addressed by many during last night's Live Chat in quite a hilarious and epic fashion, you might want to check out the comments. We were in rare form!

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Since that very subject was addressed by many during last night's Live Chat in quite a hilarious and epic fashion, you might want to check out the comments. We were in rare form!

Will do!!Next week I will be on the live chat. This started before I knew it started so I missed it last night. Thank you for the info.

1 minute ago, Kid said:

Will do!!Next week I will be on the live chat. This started before I knew it started so I missed it last night. Thank you for the info.

Cool beans Kid. I predict that you will definitely laugh out loud at the monumental snark that was last night's Live Chat!

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Just wondering if anyone else here had the same reaction as I did when, after yet another weight gain and a thorough (well deserved) tongue lashing from Dr. Now, the two sisters seemed to have a "Come to Jesus" moment type conversation?

Octavia spoke quite eloquently to Nichelle about what both of them did wrong and that they both need to own their behaviors and bad choices. Nichelle was being a bit pouty and seemed to just not get it but Octavia pressed on and they both seemed to turn a corner. I admit I choked up when Octavia said that the same abusive shit that happened to her had happened to Nichelle. I felt like the Grinch after he discovered a love of humanity (actually, "Who"-manity is more appropriate) and my snark-filled, dried up raisin of a heart grew three times its size.

And then--SCREECH!--they ordered fried chicken fingers and French fries and proceeded to inhale them.

WTF? Dead. Resurrected. Re-deceased. 

What did you all think about that? I was so damned confused and felt sucker punched.

I wanted to bash my head against the wall. I was SO happy when Octavia was layingniy all out, then WHAM. But I suppose it was unrealistic to expect a sudden, lasting epiphany amidst all that dysfunction. But! She got there eventually and I really wish her well. I liked her all along, even though she was driving me a little crazy at times. I don’t know why I had trouble empathizing at all with Nichelle, though, except she seemed like a control freak who didn’t want Octavia to “escape” and leave her alone in her misery. 

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I wanted to bash my head against the wall. I was SO happy when Octavia was layingniy all out, then WHAM. But I suppose it was unrealistic to expect a sudden, lasting epiphany amidst all that dysfunction. But! She got there eventually and I really wish her well. I liked her all along, even though she was driving me a little crazy at times. I don’t know why I had trouble empathizing at all with Nichelle, though, except she seemed like a control freak who didn’t want Octavia to “escape” and leave her alone in her misery. 

After all my snark, like you, I actually liked her and wish her well too. I want Nichelle to succeed as well but I really don't have much hope for her. I would be absolutely ecstatic if she proved me wrong.

I think you nailed it on the head with the part of the sentence I bolded. It seemed to me that as long as Octavia was screwing up and making excuses like she was, including arguing with Dr. Now, everything was okey doke. She (Nichelle) knew from jump that she did not have the will nor even the desire to make any real changes and kept sabotaging Octavia which, in reality, wasn't all that hard, so that, IMHO, she could maintain their sick dynamic.

I will be interested in seeing a follow-up on Octavia.

• Love 13
59 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I felt like the Grinch after he discovered a love of humanity (actually, "Who"-manity is more appropriate) and my snark-filled, dried up raisin of a heart grew three times its size.

😂😂😂😂😂  It’s moments like this that make me love you Pounders so much!!!! My favorite group on PTV!!

She did indeed show a lot of insight into the problem and that impressed me. What also impressed me was how she took care of her sister after her mother died. That’s why I was so happy when she turned a corner. This woman is deserving of better unlike some of the people that have been on the show. 

• Love 17
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think there's also a caretaker syndrome going on too.    They want the person totally dependent on them, because it makes the caretaker look like they're sacrificing their life to help the person.   But in reality, they don't want the person to get better so they can always look like the heroic rescuer.  

That's probably why she did so much better when she got an actual professional aide. Her job is caretaking (and I'm sure she wasn't paid nearly enough!) but she's not emotionally entwined with these people. 

2 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Just wondering if anyone else here had the same reaction as I did when, after yet another weight gain and a thorough (well deserved) tongue lashing from Dr. Now, the two sisters seemed to have a "Come to Jesus" moment type conversation?

Octavia spoke quite eloquently to Nichelle about what both of them did wrong and that they both need to own their behaviors and bad choices. Nichelle was being a bit pouty and seemed to just not get it but Octavia pressed on and they both seemed to turn a corner. I admit I choked up when Octavia said that the same abusive shit that happened to her had happened to Nichelle. I felt like the Grinch after he discovered a love of humanity (actually, "Who"-manity is more appropriate) and my snark-filled, dried up raisin of a heart grew three times its size.

And then--SCREECH!--they ordered fried chicken fingers and French fries and proceeded to inhale them.

WTF? Dead. Resurrected. Re-deceased. 

What did you all think about that? I was so damned confused and felt sucker punched.

Yeah, in the live chat I said something like "is she really getting real?" and then two minutes later I was like,

f1b73d76872a7267f691738c6621c7d9--gilda-

• Love 13

Dr. Now could get sooooo exasperated by some of these patients and discharge them, but he seems to understand there will be excuses and backsliding and he gives them every chance and then some. I'm glad, because Octavia seemed to finally take ownership and get on the right path after being given a bunch of chances. 

I posted in a way earlier thread why Dr. Now does not pursue therapy for patients until after the surgery, and I can't remember the specifics now, but he has a statistical reason for this. I think it was that patients statistically do better if they start therapy after surgery. But I have never seen him deny therapy for anyone who requests it. Octavia definitely needed the therapy, given her history. I was surprised they did not show us any of that, as they usually do. 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

1. It's been years since my friend's WLS, and she eats whatever she wants. This is not a good thing and she is still very overweight.

2. I thought about the surgery and did all the pre-stuff up to the psych eval. For a long time, I was on a FB page for mature people getting the sleeve. So many had problems after surgery - not just medical issues, but an inability to stay away from the foods they abused previously, which was leading to weight gain. A lot of the women were besides themselves with fear - they had the surgery, there wasn't anything left, and they still didn't have their eating under control. It was sad, really. 

3. Did anyone see the extended show tonight? What was the name of Activia's jewelry business? The print was small - I thought it was Crayons and Chickens, but that's probably not it. : ) 

• Love 11

I was surprised at how boring this episode was. Usually TLC starts any of its shows with what it thinks is the most interesting to lure new viewers & keep previous viewers. If this is an example, it's gonna be a really long, tedious season.

Among Octavia's delusions, the best was her saying she's been the "backbone" for everyone else, never herself. She weighed over 400 #s in h.s. When was she ever physically able to assist another human being?

I hated that tangle of hair. She could lost 10 #s just by getting a haircut.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Dot said:

I was surprised at how boring this episode was. Usually TLC starts any of its shows with what it thinks is the most interesting to lure new viewers & keep previous viewers. If this is an example, it's gonna be a really long, tedious season.

Among Octavia's delusions, the best was her saying she's been the "backbone" for everyone else, never herself. She weighed over 400 #s in h.s. When was she ever physically able to assist another human being?

I hated that tangle of hair. She could lost 10 #s just by getting a haircut.

I'm positive she gives herself a haircut every night when she takes that wig off.

• Love 17
21 hours ago, mmecorday said:

What Octavia went through as a child is horrific and I hope the man who raped her was brought to justice.

Me, too.  I'm hoping that because his face was not blurred out in the photograph he was convicted.  If he were only the "alleged" rapist, I doubt that TLC could show his face.

So many of the patients on this show, especially the women (and it seems to me a preponderance of the black women) suffered child sexual abuse, leading them to overeat to the point of endangering their lives.  No one ever approves of rape (I hope, anyway), but to rape a child and absolutely destroy her life merits long, miserable imprisonment without parole.  The rapist might as well have murdered those little girls, as some of them do.  Particularly egregious when the child is placed in the care, at least part-time, of the rapist and thus has no chance of escape to a neighbor or someone else who might help.

• Love 15
9 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I wonder how many times Dr. Now walks into an exam room and wonders, "OK, which one is the patient?"

I think Octavia has stress eating confused with eating out of boredom.

Yes, I am not exactly certain what stress and hectic lifestyles these pounders are talking about. They don't leave their mattress. How can that possibly be "hectic"? While I can understand being so obese that you are immobile is stressful, when you are shoveling 30,000 calories of junk into your mouth on the daily, I can barely muster up empathy. And the enablers are even worse. I'll never understand how they try to explain that they are eating junk and not doing anything they are supposed to be doing to get better because they are "so busy". Do they not realize the cameras are rolling and we can see all they are doing is laying in bed 24/7, pooping and peeing on pads? If that is a busy life, my life is insanely and impossibly BUSY. 

Edited by Hannah94
  • Love 16
On 1/3/2019 at 6:02 AM, Kenzie said:

I wish the (so-called) background piano music wasn't so loud. 

Yes, I need the volume up to hear the narrative but then the music is distorted by the speakers in the TV.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Kid said:

i know!  No job, no bills, no lawn mowing, no raking, no driving to appointments, no shopping, no schedule to adhere to, NOTHING!

• Love 12
Just now, Lesia said:

i know!  No job, no bills, no lawn mowing, no raking, no driving to appointments, no shopping, no schedule to adhere to, NOTHING!

Well, after she ate that 10 pound pile of nachos FOR BREAKFAST, she immediately asked what would be for lunch. That has to be stressful. :/ Total snark in this reply, btw. I would like to see her follow up. I think after her (2nd) home care aide leaves, she (and her fatty enabler) will be back up in weight. Cracked me up when Dr. Now said "why do you need two people taking care of you?" 

• Love 12

Dr Now cracks me up sometimes.  One enabler said “She gets so mad if I don’t bring her the food she wants” wherein Dr Now  responded “So?  She can’t get out of bed and hit you can she?”

LOL. 🤣

• Love 23
2 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

Dr Now cracks me up sometimes.  One enabler said “She gets so mad if I don’t bring her the food she wants” wherein Dr Now  responded “So?  She can’t get out of bed and hit you can she?”

LOL. 🤣

He is utterly fantastic. My favorite line of his was when James K (weighed 800+ lbs) said "But I'm hungry. I need food!" And Dr. Now said "you have 800 pound of food in your body." 

• Love 23
10 hours ago, Dot said:

This echoes my thoughts as the episode went nowhere for 1 hour 55 minutes.  This is more like mid-season filler.  Can't believe they opened with this. If they had to open with this because it's the best they got, then I may not make it through the season. 

• Love 9

I was also kind of confused about how she moved out of her sister's house into her own place, like how did they get her out? How did she find a roomate?

I'm not sure how they got her out but the roommate was a friend. She asked the friend to move in with her and help care for her.

• Love 4