Type keyword(s) to search

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

54 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I noticed that Carol was wearing lipstick in the tag. I thought she looked great but some on Twitter don't like her wearing makeup and that it's an example of the Russos "male gaze":

I'm betting the Russo's don't give a rat's ass about what some people on twitter think.

Unless there's some CGI trickery going on it looks like Carol isn't going to help solve the problem right away.  Black Widow has her short blond hair in this scene but she has longer red hair in most of the rest of the trailer.

Speaking of hair, (presumably) losing your family is obviously a horrible thing but that's no excuse for such a ridiculous hair style, Hawkeye.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

I think he understands because of Peggy and what she had to deal with, always having to prove herself. Also a lot of Tony's attitude toward him was because of his with his dad.

I noticed that Carol was wearing lipstick in the tag. I thought she looked great but some on Twitter don't like her wearing makeup and that it's an example of the Russos "male gaze":

D1nt_sdUYAAC8WW.jpg

I just think it's weird that she went from no makeup/bare minimal makeup in Captain Marvel to full makeup in Endgame. Just a weird switch, IMO.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Speaking of hair, (presumably) losing your family is obviously a horrible thing but that's no excuse for such a ridiculous hair style, Hawkeye.

His barber got snapped.

6 minutes ago, shantown said:

I just think it's weird that she went from no makeup/bare minimal makeup in Captain Marvel to full makeup in Endgame. Just a weird switch, IMO.

Well she thought she wasn't human and was part of an alien paramilitary force through a big chunk of the movie.

• Love 4

And I think she's going to get on Steve's last nerve within a few seconds.

I don't know, Carol kind of reminds me of 1940s Bucky--cocky and sometimes flippant but also a good soldier, someone who always tries to do the right thing, and someone who knows how to be a team player. Steve will respect all of those things (IS many of those things). Heck, depending on how long Carol has been away, Steve might enjoy having someone around who is less up on pop culture than he is!

I actually could see Natasha having more of a problem with Carol, mostly because Carol is another secret Fury kept, but also because I could imagine Natasha gritting her teeth at having a sense of humor not dissimilar to her own thrown back at her. Somehow I feel like Bruce won't like Carol much either.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

I saw that too and I rolled my eyes so hard.  Woman can also like and wear makeup for themselves.  

52 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

The Mohawkeye.  (I died laughing when I saw that on twitter)

28 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I don't know, Carol kind of reminds me of 1940s Bucky--cocky and sometimes flippant but also a good soldier,

Exactly, I think Steve is going to love Carol.  (Steve's issues with Tony are about Tony, but I don't think any of that will matter now)  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

It's been 25 years, maybe she was looking for a change. When you don't age its probably good to change your look every once in awhile. 

Nat is going to be surprised that Carol's been friends with Fury for 25 years. However at the end of the day they worked for Fury. They were not his friends. That's why I like that they showed us younger Fury making a friend in Carol. I think Steve will get along with Carol, she was in the Military. 

• Love 8

Think of all of Steve's Ride Or Die BFF's: Peggy, Sam, Bucky, Natasha.

All are extremely attractive, all are about dry humor, all enjoy punching.

Steve & Carol will get along just fine.

The one thing that made me sad about Infinity War was that Steve didn't get to spend more time with Okoye (who Steve would ADORE).

• Love 9

I was looking back to last year and when I purchased tickets and it was on March 16th. Both movies came/come out on the last weekend in April, they should be up for sale soon.  Although in Canada for Cineplex they usually come out a few days after they are already available in the US. 

Poor Cineplex social media intern, every other tweet at them is when are tickets going on sale for Endgame!

• LOL 1
13 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Aghhhh!  I’m not ready! 😭

On another note, I thought I’d heard that Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson) was going to be in this movie.  Apparently that’s not the case?

She tweeted that she has movies coming out in April and June. The June release is the new Men In Black but there is nothing known about a April release. The speculation is she was talking about Endgame. 

8 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I got chills.  

Me too. I love that Avengers theme no matter how many times I hear it. I really hope they have some plans for new Avengers movies after this, even with an entirely different team ( the Wasp), just so they can keep hearing that music.

• Love 4

Any controversy over Carol wearing lipstick is unimaginably stupid. Let the woman wear some makeup if she wants, its been like 25 years! Besides, maybe its tinted lip balm, and her lips got chapped in space?

That trailer gave me so many chills, I cant stand the waiting for this movie, but I dont know if I can survive this one. The flashbacks to the starts of everyone's journey, the Avengers theme playing, I am just gonna be a mess, no matter what happens. 

I am really excited to see how Carol plays off the others. I knew right away that she and Thor would be besties, but I also see her and Steve getting along right away. Both military, both respect orders and command but are also willing to go against them to do whats right, I can see them clicking. She and Tony would be interesting, as they are a bit more alike, being kind of snarky and brash, but when Tony was around Strange, who is basically magic Tony, they drove each other nuts. So who knows?

I am excited to see what happens next and what new Avengers we get, but I will miss our OG Avengers, no matter who we lose.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 10

So I guess this trailer gave it away that Tony survives drifting in space after running out of food and oxygen. Not tgat there was any real surprise.

Also there is a bit where Scott Lang is walking through a neighborhood looing at missing persons posters and looking very confused. Makes me wonder how long he was in the quantum realm for.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Also there is a bit where Scott Lang is walking through a neighborhood looing at missing persons posters and looking very confused. Makes me wonder how long he was in the quantum realm for.

Those posters looked pretty weathered, I'd say a while.

• Love 2

Clint's hair. Why?

Would there be one more trailer? After Captain Marvel, I'm expecting Rocket and Carol to bond . . . especially over how the Guardians were the ones to take out Ronan. Also, maybe a Steve/Thor/Carol love triangle . . . but isn't that what fan fiction is for?

• Love 2

“Never mind!”—Emily Litella

( The poster was posted in between the time I read the posts before it showed up and I posted my question about where I could find the poster.  Too slow, as usual!)

Edited:(Wow. A lot of posts/poster/posted in there!  Sorry 😐 about that.)

Edited by Lemuria
13 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I've got plenty of reasons to bitch about the Russos, but Carol's new look isn't one of them.

The new look is really surprising and noticeable. I can't tell if I like it or not.  She looks good but it seems to different from the origin movie I can't tell what that means for the character. Strange too that Natasha is relatively make up free always so I don't think it is a "Russo" gaze thing. 

11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

but I also see her and Steve getting along right away. Both military, both respect orders and command but are also willing to go against them to do whats right, I can see them clicking.

I heard a rumored spoiler 

Spoiler

that of course she is blown away to find the Steve is "the" Captain America and has respect immediately.  

That made me feel better about how she would be handled in this movie. 

• Love 5

I'm assuming Carol was around mid 20's when she disappeared. That would make her born in the 1960's. Captain America was probably still talked about when she was growing up. Coulson collected trading cards of him. So she probably knew about him and I could see her being impressed to meet Steve. Who knows maybe he was one of her inspirations to join the military. Hearing the stories about the sickly scrawney kid that did whatever it took to fight for his country. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 9

I'm so focused on how the characters cope post-Snap and how they untangle this mess that I keep forgetting that they'll actually need to face Thanos at some point. You'd think a giant purple dude would stick out in my mind more.

21 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Peggy's voice over. Steve crying at her funeral. I have always thought he would stay in the past to stay with her and have that life he always wanted. 

Must we add yet another layer of awkwardness to the Sharon debacle by retroactively turning him into Uncle Steve?

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Would there be one more trailer? After Captain Marvel, I'm expecting Rocket and Carol to bond . . . especially over how the Guardians were the ones to take out Ronan. Also, maybe a Steve/Thor/Carol love triangle . . . but isn't that what fan fiction is for?

Yes, to Rocket and Carol bonding, no to Steve/Thor/Carol love triangle.  Steve's love life is under enough debate in the fandom already thank you very much.

Speaking of which, I don't want Steve to stay in the past with Peggy.  She moved on, so should he.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 16

Even though I don't have a problem with it I don't want to dismiss this person's complaint about Carol's makeup and there are already people arguing with her I will say I didn't realize(although I should have) that Endgame was shot before Captain Marvel. Also it never occured to me until reading it that the black tanktop looks like Carol's old black one piece swimsuit costume. I wonder if that was a subtle reference?

I wonder why that bothers them so much. The lipstick I can KIND OF see an issue with (though really, it's been 25 years come on) but a sleeveless top (would that even classify as a blouse?)?

That whole twitter thread is a mess. They are actively reaching for things to complain about. Because they go on to complain that Natasha's hair looks like it did in most of the 20th century when it looks nothing like that and never has in the MCU.

How is this the same hairstyle???

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, coppersin said:

Must we add yet another layer of awkwardness to the Sharon debacle by retroactively turning him into Uncle Steve?

Bwah. It would be a Marvel/Game of Thrones hybrid relationship. Besides I am in denial about Steve having a romantic relationship with Sharon.

Edited by SimoneS
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

I wonder why that bothers them so much. The lipstick I can KIND OF see an issue with (though really, it's been 25 years come on) but a sleeveless top (would that even classify as a blouse?)?

This seems like like a massive overreaction. It’s definitely not a blouse it’s a tank top. Natasha, Steve, Tony and Scott all wear similar minimalist black tees and tanks in the trailers. I didn’t even notice the makeup at first. I just thought the overall look was more serious and badass.

Makeup is nothing more than a tool to project an image and there is nothing inherently wrong with anyone choosing to use it. 

Edited by Guest

Maybe I’ve watched too much Legends of Tomorrow and AOS S5, but I don’t see how Steve staying in the past won’t completely blow up the timeline.  Unless if he changes his identity and hides on a farm for 50 or whatever years, but then Peggy would still have to be living her original time line, or SSR and SHIELD will be gone.  And I doubt Steve will sit idly by while Korea and Vietnam happens.  So the only logical conclusion is that he dies, as Cevans doesn’t have any more films, and they can’t just write Cap off without another mention after this.

scuse me, gonna go sob in the corner now

• Love 3
On 3/15/2019 at 7:06 PM, Wishing Well said:

Maybe I’ve watched too much Legends of Tomorrow and AOS S5, but I don’t see how Steve staying in the past won’t completely blow up the timeline.  Unless if he changes his identity and hides on a farm for 50 or whatever years, but then Peggy would still have to be living her original time line, or SSR and SHIELD will be gone.  And I doubt Steve will sit idly by while Korea and Vietnam happens.  So the only logical conclusion is that he dies, 

Agreed. I also feel Steve never really dreamed of having a wife or having kids.. he seemed to dream more of helping people. So his "end game" would be making a major difference to the world. I don't think he could ever just sit around and NOT be helping people, captain america or not, so I think that would pose problems if he went back in time and perhaps, if he had kids or was with Peggy, he might not give them his full attention. He would always be distracted wanting to help out.

I suspect they will give some sort of way back in for a cameo or something but - Steve buys it. 

• Love 3

Unless he were to be mind-wiped, I also don't know that Steve could be happy going back to the past knowing that the world is still threatened, and he is still needed to keep it safe, in 2019. What if he were to go back and then in 2020 there is some catastrophe and Earth is wiped out and maybe he could have made a difference if he were here? That kind of thought would torment him. I actually think Steve has ended up as a very (tragically) betwixt and between character--he wouldn't fit in in the 1940s anymore, but equally, he will never quite be comfortable in the 21st century.

• Love 3

I agree.  As much as I did love Steve/Peggy, I just can’t imagine Steve being happy going back and living in the past, knowing what he knows now.  He’s my favorite character so I don’t want him to die, but going back to the past would actually be a worse ending, for me.  Not to mention it totally wipes out all of Peggy’s own character development in Agent Carter, which I loved.  

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 9
On 3/15/2019 at 7:06 PM, Wishing Well said:

Maybe I’ve watched too much Legends of Tomorrow and AOS S5, but I don’t see how Steve staying in the past won’t completely blow up the timeline.  Unless if he changes his identity and hides on a farm for 50 or whatever years, but then Peggy would still have to be living her original time line, or SSR and SHIELD will be gone.  And I doubt Steve will sit idly by while Korea and Vietnam happens.  So the only logical conclusion is that he dies, as Cevans doesn’t have any more films, and they can’t just write Cap off without another mention after this.

scuse me, gonna go sob in the corner now

Steve may very well die in Endgame, I am bracing for that possibility but, I disagree that death is the only logical conclusion.

The Time Travel option is very possible, I'll give you 2 examples of that very storyline, Stargate Continuum and Futurama Benders Big Score.

Steve could also be depowered, which has happened at least once, possibly twice in the comics

Steve and others (or alone) could get shunted into an Alternate Universe. This actually happened in the Onslaught Crossover where all the non-mutant heroes sacrificed themselves to stop Onslaught which ended up with AU reboot titles.  MCU could use this to set up the X-Men/FF return. Maybe a post credit scene of Steve/Avengers walking around NYC and seeing the Baxter Building? Or landing in a woody area, walking around and coming to the X-Mansion? 

They could rip-off Crisis on Infinite Earths (which yeah they'd get shit for) and have Steve/Avengers sacrifice themselves and, get trapped in the soul stone. End up in a Utopian Pocket Universe until they make a come back.

They could put Steve/Avengers in the Fantastic Four situation from Secret Wars where they're off rebuilding space/reality post Thanos fallout.

Or Steve could just retire/take a break and Chris Evans could sign an RDJ type deal where Steve shows up in small supporting roles in other Heroes movies.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Steve may very well die in Endgame, I am bracing for that possibility but, I disagree that death is the only logical conclusion.

The Time Travel option is very possible, I'll give you 2 examples of that very storyline, Stargate Continuum and Futurama Benders Big Score.

Steve could also be depowered, which has happened at least once, possibly twice in the comics

Steve and others (or alone) could get shunted into an Alternate Universe. This actually happened in the Onslaught Crossover where all the non-mutant heroes sacrificed themselves to stop Onslaught which ended up with AU reboot titles.  MCU could use this to set up the X-Men/FF return. Maybe a post credit scene of Steve/Avengers walking around NYC and seeing the Baxter Building? Or landing in a woody area, walking around and coming to the X-Mansion? 

They could rip-off Crisis on Infinite Earths (which yeah they'd get shit for) and have Steve/Avengers sacrifice themselves and, get trapped in the soul stone. End up in a Utopian Pocket Universe until they make a come back.

They could put Steve/Avengers in the Fantastic Four situation from Secret Wars where they're off rebuilding space/reality post Thanos fallout.

Or Steve could just retire/take a break and Chris Evans could sign an RDJ type deal where Steve shows up in small supporting roles in other Heroes movies.

I have long thought they would go with Steve dying and Tony being so traumatized by that he hangs up the suit. But that seems really obvious and I hope the writers have better ideas than I do. I suppose Steve being crippled but still alive is another option, although oje I hope they don't usem

As for Thor I wonder if he decides that his new role as king of Asgard means no more time for Avengers, but would still allow Hemsworth to do solo movies. I am still kind of annoyed that Mjolinir being destroyed means we will never get a scene where some worthy person picks it up and possess the power of Thor.

1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

Not to mention it totally wipes out all of Peggy’s own character development in Agent Carter, which I loved.  

It wouldn't wipe it out, just change it. There'd be less pathos, but Peggy's not the stay-at-home-have-dinner-on-the-table kind of gal. And Steve's not the type to demand it, either. So I think she'd still found SHIELD with Howard, and Steve would probably be a part of that.

Here's my temporal mechanics question: If Steve stays, does that mean New York gets bombed? Because if that was the case, there's no way Steve would stay.

28 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

It wouldn't wipe it out, just change it.

It would rewrite the bulk of her history to serve Steve's story.  I wouldn't like to see her character used as a prop in anyone else's story, even Steve's.  And as she told Steve,  "The world has changed, and none of us can go back. All we can do is our best, and sometimes, the best that we can do, is to start over."  I'm not sure what starting over is going to look like for Steve, but the big theme that has been part of his story (especially in Ultron) is wanting to go 'home',  Neither going back to Peggy and rewriting history, nor sacrificing himself and dying for the greater good really fits the arc they've been constructing for him.  But that's partly why I like the idea of him reinventing himself in some way (such as, as Nomad), and finding the sense of 'home' he's been searching for.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 9
52 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I have long thought they would go with Steve dying and Tony being so traumatized by that he hangs up the suit. But that seems really obvious and I hope the writers have better ideas than I do. I suppose Steve being crippled but still alive is another option, although oje I hope they don't usem

As for Thor I wonder if he decides that his new role as king of Asgard means no more time for Avengers, but would still allow Hemsworth to do solo movies. I am still kind of annoyed that Mjolinir being destroyed means we will never get a scene where some worthy person picks it up and possess the power of Thor.

There's a Feige article in the Captain Marvel Thread not really spoilery but, I'll just put use it to be safe.

Spoiler

in the article Feige says that Captain Marvel will be leading the MCU.

Everyone is focused on Steve Leaving/dying but, I'm beginning to suspect it's all the Original Avengers in some form.

Yeah, Clint may just quit for good. However, something big could happen to take Thor, Widow, Hulk, Iron Man and Capt off the table.  This way they clear a path for Phase 4 Avengers, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Wasp and maybe a new solo hero?

Edited by Morrigan2575

Is Danai Gurira on the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Poster Because Okoye Is the New Black Panther?

Her inclusion on the poster is particularly interesting because she is the only character on it who hasn’t been seen at some point in one of the two trailers or the Super Bowl commercial. So why in the world would she be on the poster if she isn’t a key character in the film? The answer, we can’t help but think, is that she actually is a key character.

It’s impossible to guess just how important she will be overall, given how secretive Marvel is being in general about “Avengers: Endgame” and the fact that Gurira has not been featured in any of the leaked set photos that have come out. And, of course, the fact that Marvel has not even really suggested that Okoye will be a key figure in “Endgame” at all.

But, again, there has to be some reason why they would put her on the poster, and I can’t help but think that it’s because Okoye will take up the mantle of the Black Panther after T’Challa (Chadwick Boseman) becomes one of the victims of Thanos’ (Josh Brolin) deadly finger snap.

But what does that mean for her involvement in the plot of “Endgame”? She hasn’t been included in any of the team shots from the marketing, but then again neither has Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and there’s no question he’s going to figure in heavily to everything that goes on in the movie. But if I had to guess about the specifics of Okoye’s involvement, I would think that Wakanda would certainly be involved in whatever plan the Avengers eventually cook up since it has by far the best technology on the planet.

Since Shuri (Letitia Wright) is also a victim of Thanos’ snap (she’s listed as one of the missing in the first “Endgame” trailer), our heroes won’t be operating at peak efficiency — but just having those stores of vibranium will no doubt be helpful. And if the Avengers are doing stuff in Wakanda, then Okoye will by extension definitely be around.

It seems like its inevitable that Steve or Tony dies here, as much as that prospect breaks my heart. Tony would give the series some closure on this time in the MCU and make room for the new people to take over, while Steve dying seems like the horrible inevitable end of his life of sacrifice and fighting. I mean, I think it would be great if they both just retired to happy, less stressful lives or had adventures in off-screen land and come back for smaller roles or cameos sometimes, I think that that could very easily happen too (especially as we all know that the Russos know we expect one or both of them to die) but if they want to clear the board a bit for the newbies to take over the universe saving and crime fighting for a bit, it seems like they will need to get rid of some OG Avengers. I mean, thats what my rational mind says. My heart is holding my Avenger figurines close to my chest daring the Russos to take any of them away. 

Actually, I've kind of speculated that Thor could be the one who dies, as much as that would be awful and painful. Or at least that in the next movie, he might be less than careful with his own life, after his horrible loses over the last few movies he has been in. I mean, almost every person in his life is dead now, and his whole world was destroyed. And being a space Viking, he could think that dying  to defeat Thanos and joining his family, friends, and people in Valhalla could be a decent thing at this point. Hopefully Valkyrie and the other Asgaurdians will arrive before it comes to that though.

22 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Actually, I've kind of speculated that Thor could be the one who dies, as much as that would be awful and painful.

The Thor franchise was rebooted in Ragnarok, so I think he's the least likely to die. (Followed closely by Black Widow).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Captain Carrot said:

The Thor franchise was rebooted in Ragnarok, so I think he's the least likely to die. (Followed closely by Black Widow).

I can see Tony deciding to retire knowing that T'challa can easily supply the Avengers with any money or tech they could possibly need.  Although I do wonder if the post-endgame Avengers has Captain Marvel and Black Panther (plus the entire Wakandan armed forces) on the team do you really need anyone else (and that is just from seeing the CM commercials)?

2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I can see Tony deciding to retire knowing that T'challa can easily supply the Avengers with any money or tech they could possibly need.  Although I do wonder if the post-endgame Avengers has Captain Marvel and Black Panther (plus the entire Wakandan armed forces) on the team do you really need anyone else (and that is just from seeing the CM commercials)?

There is the deal with FOX, Rogue is back into the game should Carol Danvers  be to powerful for future stories 

7 hours ago, Raja said:

There is the deal with FOX, Rogue is back into the game should Carol Danvers  be to powerful for future stories 

I think it will take a few years before they move FF and X-Men into the MCU. However, yes they could eventually do the Rogue storyline and depower Carol. I think it would be a really good storyline to see Carol's journey losing some/most/all of her powers.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I think it will take a few years before they move FF and X-Men into the MCU. However, yes they could eventually do the Rogue storyline and depower Carol. I think it would be a really good storyline to see Carol's journey losing some/most/all of her powers.

With the new explanation of how she got her powers, and how the Kree inhibited them, they don't really need Rogue to tell that story. They could easily have some Kree scientist come up with a way of stripping her of her powers.

As long as she isn't stripped of her memories, free will, dignity and control of her own body, like often seemed to happen to her in the comic books.

But her being a Cosmic level superhero means she can face villains with similar levels of power of Thanos, where she could still be out-matched and need assistance.

I've long considered the original Captain Marvel to be the closest Marvel had to their own Superman, and I generally consider Superman to be boring because of his levels of power and because of his lack of nuance (yes, I'm sure he's a more complex character now, but he doesn't interest me). DC had to create ever more powerful bad guys to be threats to him, so it's definitely a thorny issue for Marvel, who have seemed to avoid such overpowered heroes in their universe. At least, as permanent fixtures.

But every once in a while, it's incredibly cool to see a hero who can just lay waste to everything in front of them, with seemingly no effort. The best scene in Infinity War was when Thor arrived on Earth, and the scene of Carol destroying those Kree ships, literally glowing with power, was a crowning moment of awesome.

• Love 3