Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E09: Breadth-First Search

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

It’s only cheating if they are told to do it a certain way and he ignores the instructions. I’m sure others would have been hurdling too, if they had the ability. That looked like a very long and difficult jump to make.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

They would never give up the DRAMA they are specifically looking to create by bringing in a new item and giving due briefing of the new twist. They've always added things to the game and the players just have to deal. Tehy never described Ghost Island or other additions to the players. While it works from a "fairness" standpoint, full disclosure makes for weak teevee.

And I thought Alec hurdling the obstacle was cheating as everyone else plodded through he chose not to engage the obstacle at all. But Probst seemed to love it so of course nothing was done.

I never realized they never told players about new wrinkles before some unlucky person was made to suffer. I don't like that. But I stand corrected (once again).

Thank you Noble Wanderer.

Secret Scene from this episode takes place back at camp right after the previous TC.  This could have been in the episode instead of the Davey TH, as it appears to have been shot at about the same time (and contains his "we all know it's a game" speech to everyone).  In it, we learn that Gabby was not actually part of the plan.  Or at least, she wasn't told exactly what would be going down.  But it does confirm that Christian was in on the plan and deliberately trying to draw the votes ever since Alec informed Nick about the Goliath strategy.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

It’s only cheating if they are told to do it a certain way and he ignores the instructions. I’m sure others would have been hurdling too, if they had the ability. That looked like a very long and difficult jump to make.

It was a long jump and he made it look easy! I wish I was so athletic.

There are actually very few rules in survivor - no physical fights, no deal making to split the million, etc. If something is not specifically called out as forbidden during challenge instruction players have quite a bit of leeway. An example is when Mike failed to cover his correct number sequence and Allison took that opportunity to run over, read the numbers and pass the info on to Christian.

Years ago when Rob Mariano was clearly the master of swiftly running a long series of elevated balance beams all of his teammates soon devised to take their required turn by getting up on the beam, taking a few steps, dropping off and then letting Rob run the course over and over.

Edited by Kenzie
Additional intro.
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Secret Scene from this episode takes place back at camp right after the previous TC.  This could have been in the episode instead of the Davey TH, as it appears to have been shot at about the same time (and contains his "we all know it's a game" speech to everyone).  In it, we learn that Gabby was not actually part of the plan.  Or at least, she wasn't told exactly what would be going down.  But it does confirm that Christian was in on the plan and deliberately trying to draw the votes ever since Alec informed Nick about the Goliath strategy.

That is awesome.  If Nick is the mastermind behind the last two TCs he is playing one helluva game.  He's putting together a great resume (gag) while the Goliaths are still focused on getting Christian out.  We all made fun of his ridiculous alliance naming in the beginning but he could very well be on his way to a $million.

• Love 16
20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't really "get" her thinking but I don't think anything negatively about it because I would like to hear more of it and understand why Dan was apparently holding her back.

I think whomever (maybe @KimberStormer) said that she likely saw the writing on the wall that she was seen as Dan's appendage is right. She needed to get out from under Dan or else she was never gonna have a chance to win. I think she probably moved too early actually, but in the end it doesn't really matter because the Davids had the upper hand anyway.

• Love 8

I like Christian, but Nick has actually been my favorite from day one (even when others thought he was kinda sketchy), there was just something about him I liked from the very beginning. I wouldn't mind if Christian wins, but I'm really rooting for Nick.

• Love 16

Yeah I've kind of had a feeling that Nick was the one instrumental to these last two tribal councils. I do think he's playing an excellent low-key game. Not seen as an obvious physical threat and the Goliaths are so consumed by this idea of Christian as this genius mastermind ready to take them all down, they're completely ignoring the threat that is Nick.

His multiple alliances also might come in handy for him down the line because rather than viewing him as sneaky, it seems many have a decent bond with him and seem to like him. Might play well for him if he makes it to the end in terms of jury management. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 20

As a mom, I'm going to say that I think Dan really needed some more protein and that is why he melted down so much before the TC. He thought he was safe with the idol and he could just go sulk somewhere, but Kara was right, you need to be always moving, like a shark!  Formulating the rest of my thoughts but I do think it was a good time for him to go. I wonder if by Day 20, people are secretly relieved to get voted out and go get a shower and hot meals and a bed. I think I'd be okay with it.

Edited by Heathrowe
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

That is awesome.  If Nick is the mastermind behind the last two TCs he is playing one helluva game.  He's putting together a great resume (gag) while the Goliaths are still focused on getting Christian out.  We all made fun of his ridiculous alliance naming in the beginning but he could very well be on his way to a $million.

I don't know who "we" is but I never was part of it.  I liked both Christian and Nick equally from the very beginning.  I loved that Nick made up names for his alliances as well.  Not just kind of sweet but also great psychology as well.

2 hours ago, driver18 said:

I like Christian, but Nick has actually been my favorite from day one (even when others thought he was kinda sketchy), there was just something about him I liked from the very beginning. I wouldn't mind if Christian wins, but I'm really rooting for Nick.

Yeah I actually like them equally and I'd love for them to be the last two standing at the end with some goat in tow as the third.  I'd be happy for either to win.

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, green said:

Yeah I actually like them equally and I'd love for them to be the last two standing at the end with some goat in tow as the third.  I'd be happy for either to win.

I like them both too, but like Dom and Wendell, I think it would be a mistake for them to take each other.  Although in this case I think probably more of a mistake for Nick; I think it would be a reverse Tocantins situation, where Christian would get all the credit and nobody would respect Nick the way he deserved.

• Love 18

I like Nick, but Carl's still my guy. 90% of the time he seems resigned to things not going his way, they don't, and he's sitting on the sidelines of the RC with no chance at a burger and a beer. But every once in a while he'll get a glimmer of hope and then BING! a win. He's my first choice for sole survivor just because he seems like he's due for something good in life, but Davie and Nick are close seconds. I would think Alec and Christian were deserving winners. Kara would be fine but unexciting. Angelina would be okay just for the LULZ. Alison, Mike, or Gabby winning would be a disappointment in an otherwise great season. Those are my preferences, but based on the edits up until now, I think only Davie, Alec, Nick, or Christian are realistic predictions. You never know though; the editing has been far less anvilicious this season, so a surprise ending is a possibility. It's not like last season when by the halfway point, Dom or Wendell was a foregone conclusion.

5 hours ago, Kenzie said:

There are actually very few rules in survivor - no physical fights, no deal making to split the million, etc. If something is not specifically called out as forbidden during challenge instruction players have quite a bit of leeway. An example is when Mike failed to cover his correct number sequence and Allison took that opportunity to run over, read the numbers and pass the info on to Christian.

Years ago when Rob Mariano was clearly the master of swiftly running a long series of elevated balance beams all of his teammates soon devised to take their required turn by getting up on the beam, taking a few steps, dropping off and then letting Rob run the course over and over.

Jeff once explained in an interview that even though they have a team to test-run all the challenges before they use them, players are always coming up with more efficient ways to do something, and if they ask beforehand, like, if Alex had said, "can I leap over the obstacle course?" then Jeff will say no. But if they just go ahead and do it, and it isn't something he'd already specifically forbidden, he won't stop them. He said that Colby in the Outback never figured this out because he would always ask, and Jeff would always say no.

• Love 14

I made fun of his ridiculous alliance naming and I still think it is ridiculous. That said, he is playing a great game, especially since he was suppose to be the first out. He was saved by Pat's injury. The only of Nick's alliances to have survived is the one with Christian, he turned on Elisabeth. Mike ended their alliance. Nick has settled down from his first few tribals. He seems to have chilled nicely and is playing a bit more calmly.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I like Nick, but Carl's still my guy. 90% of the time he seems resigned to things not going his way, they don't, and he's sitting on the sidelines of the RC with no chance at a burger and a beer. But every once in a while he'll get a glimmer of hope and then BING! a win. He's my first choice for sole survivor just because he seems like he's due for something good in life, but Davie and Nick are close seconds. I would think Alec and Christian were deserving winners. Kara would be fine but unexciting. Angelina would be okay just for the LULZ. Alison, Mike, or Gabby winning would be a disappointment in an otherwise great season. Those are my preferences, but based on the edits up until now, I think only Davie, Alec, Nick, or Christian are realistic predictions. You never know though; the editing has been far less anvilicious this season, so a surprise ending is a possibility. It's not like last season when by the halfway point, Dom or Wendell was a foregone conclusion.

Davie's my guy.  I would be disappointed if Christian won based on what we've seen so far.  Everyone saves him like he's Matt Damon as Private Ryan (not that I've watched the movie) or Matt Damon on Mars.  It's hilarious and awesome to watch but I don't want Christian to win for that, just because everyone assumes he's this big threat and then acts based on that assumption.  I guess I give him credit for just being himself which equals threatening to other men but eh.  Davie to me has done the most and I just LIKE him.  Carl's my second favourite just because he's Carl.  And Nick, well, I've always been leery of Nick and while it's much better now that he's "David Strong" I still don't know what to think.  I still hate the alliance names.  I'm glad that they haven't really meant anything.  Mike's proven himself to be a huge liar and while it's interesting to watch, I mean where the heck does that strategy go from here.  Alison gives Wishy Washy brand new meaning.  (I love when people bring up Laurel here because it takes me so long to remember who that is.  That will be Alison to me as soon as she's voted out.  Mostly due to the editors' doing, but still.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's hilarious and awesome to watch but I don't want Christian to win for that, just because everyone assume he's this big threat and then acts based on that assumption.  I guess I give him credit for just being himself which equals threatening to other men but eh. 

I give Christian credit for having a good social game -- everybody there seems to love him -- but I agree that strategically, he's only average. The other players are assuming that because he's nerdy, he must be a strategic genius, but I think that applies to Davie (and his PT Cruiser, heh) more than Christian.

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I want to like Carl, but I'm getting the feeling he sees the women as those pesky little sisters who want to play with the big boys and ruin all their fun.

I dunno.  His #1 ally early in the game was Jessica, and apparently he never forgave Elizabeth for voting her out.  He seemed to click with Kara too when they were on the swapped tribe together.  I feel like we've seen him wanting to work more with women than most of the other men in the game tbh.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Jeff once explained in an interview that even though they have a team to test-run all the challenges before they use them, players are always coming up with more efficient ways to do something, and if they ask beforehand, like, if Alex had said, "can I leap over the obstacle course?" then Jeff will say no. But if they just go ahead and do it, and it isn't something he'd already specifically forbidden, he won't stop them. He said that Colby in the Outback never figured this out because he would always ask, and Jeff would always say no.

I had to look this one up. Great word!

"Portmanteau of anvil and delicious, anvilicious describes a writer's and/or director's use of an artistic element, be it line of dialogue, visual motif, or plot point, to so unsubtly convey a particular message that they may as well etch it onto an anvil and drop it on your head.

Heavy-handed for the new millennium. Extreme polar opposite of subtle."

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Kenzie said:

Portmanteau of anvil and delicious

Oh! I always thought it was anvil and malicious. Though I guess either works depending on whether you dread or welcome the outcome they're telegraphing.

• Love 3

Well that was wonderful, and exactly what I was hoping would happen, and now the numbers are even and the Davids have an idol and the Goliaths just have a whole lot of discontent. That said... 

On 22/11/2018 at 3:48 PM, princelina said:

It was fun and I'm glad to see that the Idol Nullifier was used well.  OTOH, I kind of wish they'd saved it, let Dan blow his idol, and then voted as a group for someone unexpected (like Mike!)

I thought it was awesome that they played it, and successfully, and it made for a great episode, but when they were talking about how they had to figure out who was going to use the idol and lure them into using it, and zeroing in on Dan, I started to agree with you. At this stage in the game, if you're absolutely sure someone is going to play the idol, and on themselves, then just let them burn it and vote for someone else. The nullifier is actually more effective, IMO, if you're not sure who has the idol, because it means you don't have to guess or split votes, you just pick your target and use the nullifier on them to make sure they don't play an idol. Any other idols that get played are a bonus. 

They were almost certain Dan was going to play an idol for himself, so the better move would have been to let him and vote for Mike. Then the Goliaths have no idol, and you still have a nullifier AND an idol and you can vote for Dan next time. 

On 22/11/2018 at 10:16 PM, MissBluxom said:

I empathize fully with you. If I was Dan I would have most definitely felt like stepping on Jeff's toes as I walked past him down the "walk of shame". Better yet, I would have felt like giving him a smack in the mouth. No shit! How is it fair to block his idol like that? He had every expectation of being safe and then Jeff blindsides him with this Idol Nullifier.

How difficult would it have been for Jeff to announce at the beginning of the season:

"One of the exciting new things we've added this season is called "An Idol Nullifier". It enables the person who finds it to block the value of an immunity idol. But they have to correctly guess who that idol will be played for and when it will be played."

What would be the harm in having done that? At least that way, Dan would not have been able to say that he was "cheated". I don't know if he ever said that. But I would sure be saying that if I was Dan.

I get this, but I'm not sure what difference it would have made. If he knew there was a nullifier in play, there's not really much he could have done, except not be so gloaty. 

• Love 3

I think the only thing that might have been different if Dan knew about the nullifier is that maybe he wouldn't have assumed he could take the day off to sulk. He thought he was safe from being voted off because he had an idol-if he knew there was a chance it was void maybe he'd have worked harder on his alliances instead of coasting?

Davy, Nck, and Christian are basically my favorites-I will be happy if any of those three take it to the end. The former Goliaths - including Mike - all want to make bold moves and "build their resumes" but then they don't seem to have an instinct for what needs to be done/be able to run different scenarios? Davy, Nick and Carl must really be playing good games to still be flying so low to the radar after last week, I wonder if they are happy to let everyone think Christian masterminding-since it makes him the target?

I thought Angelina looked pretty scared after the TC. I wonder if she will be the one who really flips to David next week?

• Love 4

Dear Jeff:  

I know you were very proud of the alliterative name "Bula Burger Bar," but you should know by now, since you lurrrvvve Fiji so much, that "Bula" is pronounced "Mbula."  In fact, I'm sure I heard one of the contestants say it recently (probably at Ponderosa where we see more Fijians interacting with the Survivors).  

The bar-leap was amazing but it carried an element of risk--catch your toe, even the teeniest tip of it, on the last bar and you are flat on your face, possibly badly injured.  

I agree with those upthread who said Kara was sort of trapped into an alliance with Dan by his early crush--but even with that being the case, I think she was not as good at Dan-emotion-wrangling as, say, Christian is good at Gabby-emotion-wrangling.  She just seemed fed up with any of his woes and anxieties, while Christian displays infinite patience.  (I will note that any time I angst to my husband about something, I am certainly more likely to snap out of it quickly if he sympathizes with my vent rather than pooh-poohing it!  So I appreciate Christian's approach).  If she were a really strong player, she could have figured out a way to make him less of a liability to her.  But I get why she was frustrated.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, MissEwa said:

I get this, but I'm not sure what difference it would have made. If he knew there was a nullifier in play, there's not really much he could have done, except not be so gloaty. 

After I read your post, it struck me like a thunderbolt. MISSEWA is perfectly correct.

So why would TPTB ever object to announcing the existence of the IN? On the one hand, it wouldn't leave Dan feeling like he was treated cruelly and possibly unfairly.  And on the other hand ... well ... that's the thing - there doesn't seem to be any other hand. What harm would it do to announce the existence of the IN at the beginning of the season? It seems to me it would be the compassionate thing to do because as it stands, the only result is that one player is left seething - quite possibly forever.

Edited by MissBluxom
2 hours ago, Heathrowe said:

I think the only thing that might have been different if Dan knew about the nullifier is that maybe he wouldn't have assumed he could take the day off to sulk. He thought he was safe from being voted off because he had an idol-if he knew there was a chance it was void maybe he'd have worked harder on his alliances instead of coasting?

Davy, Nck, and Christian are basically my favorites-I will be happy if any of those three take it to the end. The former Goliaths - including Mike - all want to make bold moves and "build their resumes" but then they don't seem to have an instinct for what needs to be done/be able to run different scenarios? Davy, Nick and Carl must really be playing good games to still be flying so low to the radar after last week, I wonder if they are happy to let everyone think Christian masterminding-since it makes him the target?

I thought Angelina looked pretty scared after the TC. I wonder if she will be the one who really flips to David next week?

Good point about the harm of Dan did to himself by sulking for a day.

May I ask you something about your other point? If you were a David and Angelina approached you on the QT and told you, "I am unhappy with my Goliath family and I want to let you know that I've been thinking about joining your family. If I did, what would be in it for me?".  What would you think? Would you suspect The Don of The Davids had sent her to try to get some intelligence about you? Seriously though, could you ever trust her? Or would you consider using her overture to put the final nail into her coffin and send her home?

Please excuse my weak excuse for humor above about "The Don". It is a reference to the first Godfather movie when Don Corleone sent Lou Cabraca (sp?) to see the Rizotto brothers to learn info about them and they killed him. It occurs to me that many people here may not know about the movie. It was a very long time ago.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

Were we watching the same show?

Lol, eel. I guess "horrible" is subjective. She was obnoxious but she didn't burn anyone's socks. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 9
On 11/22/2018 at 6:48 AM, Rachel RSL said:

I never fully trust the editing at TC because we know they edit in reaction shots that are totally out of place so who knows when the head nods all actually occurred. Plus, I’m fairly confident that Carl’s “BING!” happened right after the Idol Nullifier was announced, not immediately after Dan got booted. (Dan is in a different position and Carl’s face is different when they cut to longer shots) I mean, he’s still making a show that it was him who played it, but it just seems less “in your face” then if it had happened right after Dan’s blindside. 

I also noticed that Carl was stuffing a piece of paper into his pocket right when Jeff was about to start reading votes, so I'd say that backs up your read of it, since he was holding up the Nullifier parchment for the:

On 11/22/2018 at 8:58 AM, preeya said:

BING!!!!

On 11/22/2018 at 4:02 AM, simplyme said:

...And this is why I'm convinced that Alec and Kara did not just stick with the split plan after Alison told them she was going to stay Goliath Strong (aside from the fact that neither seems dumb, and sticking with a plan that someone else who is voting opposite you knows? Is dumb.). Once you remove Alison from the split plan, there are now four votes against a David. Not a sure win, and there's an idol, and Alison knew the plan...

So pretty much I think Alec and Kara felt they had to flip back to Goliath when Alison did. Then when Nick stole Alison's vote, it was pretty much a reprimand and threat for agreeing and backing out--twice. (Why Alison? She'd let the Davids down twice and she didn't have immunity so they could make her good and nervous that they were voting her.) And that's when AKA decided to pretend they'd planned to stick to the split vote agreement by having Alec and Kara vote the way they presumably would have: for Angelina.

Anyways. That's how my brain chose to make sense of what the editing monkeys showed us. :)

Although... is Alison one L or two?

Rachel's read on the TC editing plus the slipping in of Carl pocketing the parchment give me a different thought, editing wise.  I bet the talk of staying Goliath strong either happened; 1) before the vote split plan, or; 2) was taken out of context. e.g. Alec saying something to the camera like, "I'm committed to the vote split, but from a numbers standpoint, we still have a 6-5 advantage" with the editors only including the bold part.  Plus, he identifies Christian as the gut reaction to target at TC, but only Mike, Angelina and Dan voted for him. 

Alison, Alec and Kara had no clue about the Nullifier, so they figured Dan was safe.  I firmly believe they intended going in to TC to force a 3-3 Angelina-Christian split, then voting for Angelina in round two.  To me, it seems like Alison, Alec and Kara had no contingency plan for a vote steal, and the head nods between them at TC were to carry out the original plan w/o Alison, thinking that Christian would get the most valid votes...so knowingly being complicit on taking out Christian...again.

Oh...one "L" :)

On 11/22/2018 at 7:36 PM, nottopbravo said:

Christian got nearly all the votes last week (but production likes him--he does a lot of the talking heads) so we'll make sure he gets an idol.

Next week someone will find the Double-Nullifier, play it, only to be countered by the Triple Sun Idol.  If the sun is shining, the idol has triple the power and you can save three castaways.  

But play that carefully, because the Steal-An-Idol Idol is not far away.  You can steal someone's idol by asking them if they have one, and if they do, it's yours.  This is not to be confused with the Steal-A-Vote Thrice advantage, where you can steal someone's vote and vote three times yourself.

But if you're stealing someone's vote, make sure they don't have the Advantage Double Back, which will mean two votes for you at Tribal Council.

If you don't believe me, ask Jeff. 

So I can't know whether the idol was placed in a location the producers felt Christian would be predisposed to look, but that's way too much of a stretch to assume they "made sure" he'd get one for himself.  Do you contend that last week, they strong armed Davie into protecting Christian?

The rest was hilarious though!

On 11/22/2018 at 1:45 AM, princelina said:

Who were you thinking?

Going in to the episode, I figured they would go after Dan with the advantages they wound up using (way more so as the episode went on).  But before seeing the votes, I'd have considered taking out Kara. 

I know many dislike him, but I really respect that Mikie (that was a typo, but I'll roll with it) is a screenwriter.  That said, I would have used the vote steal against him, to see if Alison was true to her word.

Edited by Mark2
  • Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:43 AM, SVNBob said:

I love that Nick is cruising under the radar and being underestimated because of his accent  -- my West Virginia accent is just like his and I've always had people like Angelina tell me variations of, "When I first met you, I thought you were so dumb!" To which I always want to say, "No way! I thought you were, dumb too!"

I think I saw a tiny flicker of jealousy on  Nick's face when Gabby hugged Christian.  Heh!  It's nice that she seems to be The Hot Girl on the island this year.

• Love 9

I think I saw a tiny flicker of jealousy on  Nick's face when Gabby hugged Christian.  Heh!  It's nice that she seems to be The Hot Girl on the island this year.

Are you sure he wasn't jealous of Gabby getting a hug from Christian? 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

Good point about the harm of Dan did to himself by sulking for a day.

May I ask you something about your other point? If you were a David and Angelina approached you on the QT and told you, "I am unhappy with my Goliath family and I want to let you know that I've been thinking about joining your family. If I did, what would be in it for me?".  What would you think? Would you suspect The Don of The Davids had sent her to try to get some intelligence about you? Seriously though, could you ever trust her? Or would you consider using her overture to put the final nail into her coffin and send her home?

Hide contents

lease excuse my weak excuse for humor above about "The Don". It is a reference to the first Godfather movie when Don Corleone sent Lou Cabraca (sp?) to see the Rizotto brothers to learn info about them and they killed him. It occurs to me that many people here may not know about the movie. It was a very long time ago.

I guess it depends who she approaches and how she frames it. Angelina seems to know now that she's the target for the Goliaths. She could try to swing the target to one of the others, but despite how smart she thinks she is-as she pointed out, no one is really following her direction.  Does she go right up to Christian, who people seem to think is the alpha, and offer to swing the vote in return for being carried to Final 3? Is she smart enough to recognize the low-key brilliance of Davy, Nick, and Carl's game playing and approach one of them? I don't think Gabby will be her way in. The David's need someone to flip and stick to it. At this point she knows the Goliaths really don't have her back, so what does she have to lose. I do think I would trust her. If I were Angelina I'd be very clear about what I wanted in return for flipping. No mumbo jumbo about proving my loyalty-I would be more transactional. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Heathrowe said:

I bet Angelina flips and David's need to take her up on it. Break up Kara/Alec/Allison. Get rid of IC threat Alec

• Love 1
On 11/22/2018 at 6:53 PM, jumper sage said:

I think season 1 will be crappy for him

After watching the last episode of this season the first season is total crap for him.  I sat there with him and agree it was crap.  They had Ukelele, bible and other stuff.  The amount of clothing they had was awesome though.  I get that it was the set-up for the show but I am amazed how much better it is now.

This season rocks!

59 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

I bet Angelina flips and David's need to take her up on it. Break up Kara/Alec/Allison. Get rid of IC threat Alec

Oooooh, I like a shakeup.

8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Aw come on, Season 1 is the best of all time!  ;)

Well I love season 1 for real.  Only Rich figured out they were playing Lord of the Flies and not The Swiss Family Robinson until it was too late for the younger dimwits to recover.  Then there was Rudy who was as delightfully anti central casting as you can get.  Rudy's comments on the challenge where you had to run around and remember tribal lore or whatever it was is worth whole seasons down the line to me.  Add in Sue and that first alliance trio made Survivor the mega hit it became.  If season 1 failed the whole show would have been cancelled out of the gate.  The first season of any series is more raw but that is what makes it so great to me.  No endless added on chrome and trim and a zillion idols.  If you haven't watched season 1 you never have seen Survivor from my pov.

Edited by green
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've rewatched this season several times, and I NEVER do that.  It has been truly entertaining.    There are several seasons that were very good.  This one is right up there at the top.

It's ALL in the casting, IMO, and this season is GOLD. 

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Jextella said:

I've rewatched this season several times, and I NEVER do that.  It has been truly entertaining.    There are several seasons that were very good.  This one is right up there at the top.

It's ALL in the casting, IMO, and this season is GOLD. 

You are so right. You know, before this season, I never gave any "likes" to anyone. I liked many people and I liked their posts. But there have been a few documentaries which may have been overly paranoid. But they suggested that some advertisers and maybe even the government were able to record who liked what and then  accumulate info about people (almost like spying) and use that info to target people for certain kinds of advertising. Sounds kind of ridiculous. Don't it? Well, before this season of Survivor, I just let my paranoia  run wild and I never gave anyone any likes or "dislikes" (that is right - some places now offer the ability for people to "dislike" as well as "like" posts.

This season, I have given more people "likes" for their great posts than I ever have before. To my mind, it is a symptom of just how terrific this season has been. Go figure!

On 11/22/2018 at 9:58 AM, preeya said:

BING!!!!

Do you think it might be interesting if and when Carl should get voted out that someone who was instrumental in organizing his ouster might write a little message saying BING! on their vote or maybe even speak that out loud as Carl takes his walk out of the TC area? Naturally I would only suggest that someone might do that if the episode contained some particularly unpleasant rancor but what was it that Forrest Gump's mama used to say that mimicked the expression "Turnabout is fair play"? Isn't that what she used to say? Oh well. I'm guess it was something like that.

I know it really wasn't that.  I'm just trying to entertain you with some comedy once again - but once again, I fear I am failing.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, green said:

Well I love season 1 for real.  Only Rich figured out they were playing Lord of the Flies and not The Swiss Family Robinson until it was too late for the younger dimwits to recover.  Then there was Rudy who was as delightfully anti central casting as you can get.  Rudy's comments on the challenge where you had to run around and remember tribal lore or whatever it was is worth whole seasons down the line to me.  Add in Sue and that first alliance trio made Survivor the mega hit it became.  If season 1 failed the whole show would have been cancelled out of the gate.  The first season of any series is more raw but that is what makes it so great to me.  No endless added on chrome and trim and a zillion idols.  If you haven't watched season 1 you never have seen Survivor from my pov.

This makes me think of Sean, the sweet but totally clueless doctor who was there for the vacation and never realized he was playing a game until the day before he was voted off.

• Love 7

I know this will sound kind of silly. But can anyone please explain the meaning of this episode's title, "Breadth-First Search"?

I have puzzled over this question for several days and I've been afraid to ask for fear someone will answer politely but the answer will show me up to be kind of dim. Well, I can't take it any longer. What the *bleep* was this title referring to?  I just don't get it. I suppose the reason just might be due to a kind of "dimness"?

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, MissBluxom said:

I know this will sound kind of silly. But can anyone please explain the meaning of this episode's title, "Breadth-First Search"?

Christian was the one that said this title quote, during his individual section of the Davids' Idol Hunt.  He gave a "summarized for TV" (as opposed to his first episode ramble) explanation then, but for a detailed explanation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadth-first_search

• Love 3

Christian explained it when he was looking for the idol.  Apparently it is a term in his techie world back home.  It means searching a little bit all over a wide area first, instead of exhaustively looking in one small area.  I imagine a techie could explain it better than me.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

Christian explained it when he was looking for the idol.  Apparently it is a term in his techie world back home.  It means searching a little bit all over a wide area first, instead of exhaustively looking in one small area.  I imagine a techie could explain it better than me.

It's more of a computer scientist term then "techie" but maybe we're the same ;)

There's breadth-first and depth-first as the two main type of algorithms (let's say ideas) for searches. As Christian mentioned a breadth-first would be the quicker look at everything across the search area. Depth-first would drill down deep in to each individual area until you hit the bottom then start at the next area. 

So in Survivor terms let's say you're on the island and break it down to the main areas of the island (like the sectors Christian did). We have camp, the beach, the forest, the rocks.

For Breadth-first you'd take a quick look at all 4, anything you can quickly see at camp, the beach, the forest, the rocks. Then you'd go back and dive in a bit deeper at each one. The easily accessible but maybe hidden spots. At camp get on your knees and look under the shelter. Open the bucket of rice and check the bottom of the lid etc. Then move to the next area - if the beach flip over any logs that were easy to turn, etc. And keep going to the area. Then start back again and go deeper in to the areas and the hard to reach places. 

For depth-first you'd look completely at one of the areas. So if you're at camp you'd look overall, then under the shelter, in the rice, in the water, all the storage things, crawl under the shelter, empty the rice out and exhaust all possible areas then move on to your next area of the search - the beach, etc.

Hope that somewhat makes sense.

• Love 6
On 2018-11-23 at 7:35 AM, Haleth said:

I disliked Nick at first because his silly alliance-naming made it seem like he was more interested in being a character than playing the game. But once he calmed down with that crap, he turned out to be quite the crafty little strategist. I know it would be in neither of their best interests to be in the final TC together but I would love to see Nick and Christian go head to head and battle it out for the jury votes. They’ve both played great games, socially and strategically. In a perfect scenario, there’d be a 3rd non-goat in the finals with them but I’m not sure who that would be yet. (Also, how awesome is it that the guy they called “Big Bang Theory” and snickered at on the first day is now seen as the biggest threat in the game?)

20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Season 1 will always be the best to me, only because it was brand new and nobody knew what to expect or how to really play. It may not have given us exciting blindsides but there was nothing like it on tv so even the boring stuff was really interesting back then. There were a whole slew of seasons that sucked between then and now but Season 1 will always be special.

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 8
53 minutes ago, cujo said:

It's more of a computer scientist term then "techie" but maybe we're the same ;)

There's breadth-first and depth-first as the two main type of algorithms (let's say ideas) for searches. As Christian mentioned a breadth-first would be the quicker look at everything across the search area. Depth-first would drill down deep in to each individual area until you hit the bottom then start at the next area. 

So in Survivor terms let's say you're on the island and break it down to the main areas of the island (like the sectors Christian did). We have camp, the beach, the forest, the rocks.

For Breadth-first you'd take a quick look at all 4, anything you can quickly see at camp, the beach, the forest, the rocks. Then you'd go back and dive in a bit deeper at each one. The easily accessible but maybe hidden spots. At camp get on your knees and look under the shelter. Open the bucket of rice and check the bottom of the lid etc. Then move to the next area - if the beach flip over any logs that were easy to turn, etc. And keep going to the area. Then start back again and go deeper in to the areas and the hard to reach places. 

For depth-first you'd look completely at one of the areas. So if you're at camp you'd look overall, then under the shelter, in the rice, in the water, all the storage things, crawl under the shelter, empty the rice out and exhaust all possible areas then move on to your next area of the search - the beach, etc.

Hope that somewhat makes sense.

It does make sense and I thank you for explaining that.

There is something that remains somewhat questionable to me. Christian has developed a reputation as being very clever and very savvy. Assuming that is true, why does he explain his strategies and discoveries What possible good can that do for him in the face of so much possible harm?

For one thing, if he discovers some wonderful technique that works wonders for him and (let's say) enables him to find idol after idol, why would ever talk about it out loud? First of all, he may alert the production people who may not know they have some weakness and they may then turn around and plug that up so it no longer works. That would be a real shame for poor Christian.

For another thing, by talking about it, word may get back to the other players that Christian either knows or has discovered yet another wonderful technique and that could provide people with even more incentive to send him to the jury.

Long story short, it seems to me there is no possible good that can result from him explaining - either to the other players or just in a confessional - and there is plenty of harm. These confessionals are not sacrosanct after all. It's not like he is talking to a Priest who is sworn to never reveal what is said.  For such a clever guy, it sure don't seem very clever to me. Am I missing something?

Edited by MissBluxom
15 minutes ago, MissBluxom said:

It does make sense and I thank you for explaining that.

There is something that remains somewhat questionable to me. Christian has developed a reputation as being very clever and very savvy. Assuming that is true, why does he explain his strategies and discoveries What possible good can that do for him in the face of so much possible harm?

For one thing, if he discovers some wonderful technique that works wonders for him and (let's say) enables him to find idol after idol, why would ever talk about it out loud? First of all, he may alert the production people who may not know they have some weakness and they may then turn around and plug that up so it no longer works. That would be a real shame for poor Christian.

For another thing, by talking about it, word may get back to the other players that Christian either knows or has discovered yet another wonderful technique and that could provide people with even more incentive to send him to the jury.

Long story short, it seems to me there is no possible good that can result from him explaining - either to the other players or just in a confessional - and there is plenty of harm. These confessionals are not sacrosanct after all. It's not like he is talking to a Priest who is sworn to never reveal what is said.  For such a clever guy, it sure don't seem very clever to me. Am I missing something?

Production wants the idols/advantages to be found. That's why they're in the game. That's why this year the majority come wrapped or tied with coloured string to make them even more obvious and stand out. The idols/advantages have ways to make the game more interested and gives the alliance down in numbers a chance to turn things around instead of just sitting back and getting voted out. It's to make for more interesting TV.

Looking in many locations quickly over looking at one super indepth more than likely isn't anything new but with Christian's super nerd persona that's just how he knows to explain things so it helps build his character more. I would have said "yeah I looked at all the places really quickly" whereas he goes in to depth about the breadth-first search and what it means and how to do it. 

Production can't tell other players what you say in your confessional that's why they're confessionals. That would be production interference in to the integrity of the game and there would be ramifications from that (think lawsuits etc). It would be similar to someone getting all of the answers to the questions on Jeopardy (or would that be questions to the answers) before the show. In your confessional production will ask you about the game, who you're aligned with, what you're thinking so that they can build the story and have those talking head segments tell the story for the viewers at home. Without them we get no real information on the game - the players on the island don't get that information unless it's directly shared with them by the players they're aligned with.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, cujo said:

Production wants the idols/advantages to be found. That's why they're in the game. That's why this year the majority come wrapped or tied with coloured string to make them even more obvious and stand out. The idols/advantages have ways to make the game more interested and gives the alliance down in numbers a chance to turn things around instead of just sitting back and getting voted out. It's to make for more interesting TV.

Looking in many locations quickly over looking at one super indepth more than likely isn't anything new but with Christian's super nerd persona that's just how he knows to explain things so it helps build his character more. I would have said "yeah I looked at all the places really quickly" whereas he goes in to depth about the breadth-first search and what it means and how to do it. 

Production can't tell other players what you say in your confessional that's why they're confessionals. That would be production interference in to the integrity of the game and there would be ramifications from that (think lawsuits etc). It would be similar to someone getting all of the answers to the questions on Jeopardy (or would that be questions to the answers) before the show. In your confessional production will ask you about the game, who you're aligned with, what you're thinking so that they can build the story and have those talking head segments tell the story for the viewers at home. Without them we get no real information on the game - the players on the island don't get that information unless it's directly shared with them by the players they're aligned with.

Good post. Well done.

On 11/23/2018 at 6:35 AM, Haleth said:

Reading Nick's interview indicates that how things were played the last two times were joint efforts between himself and Davie (John) and himself, Davie, and Carl (Dan).   This is why I love Nick AND Davie so much.   Another interesting point in the article is that the David's didn't gather much to strategize - or at least not for long periods of time.  I wonder if camera crews missed alot of how things went down as a result.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-david-goliath-nick-wilson-dan-rengering-john-hennigan-blindsides-1163630

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 6