Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E09: Breadth-First Search

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I was expecting Angelina to come along and ask Davie for John's jacket at the beginning of the episode. I'll have to see if it appears on her shoulders later on.

Dan is feeling so hurt because no one asks him to pow-wow with them. Of course he couldn't just get up and join them.

Go Purple!! I feel like I'm reliving the Vikings vs. Chicago football game I was at last Sunday, purple vs. orange. And like last Sunday, orange beat purple. 

Ha ha Gabby, implanting ideas into Alison's head! Voting out Dan would be a big move... and Alison wants to build her resume. She must have attended Adam's seminar on Survivor clichés to embed in your talking heads. 

Kara does the big reveal - Dan's second idol!!  So I guess Kara is Bathsheba, deserting her Uriah (Dan) to join the Davids. And will Uriah be slain at the next tribal council? But unlike Bathsheba, she decides to stay in the Goliath camp.

Did Christian stick the idol down his crotch?

Here’s a shark fin! Survivor foreshadowing. 

TC is so suspenseful. I have no idea what the plan is, especially the Davids’ plan. Ha ha, here comes Dan’s idol!! Wow, Carl played the nullifier!! So Kara must have told them.

HA HA HA HA HA HA Dan is voted out!!!

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 19

Angelina is the cockroach that won’t die.  Very interesting vote break down at TC.  Alec and Kara voted for Angelina-but why?

Alec is so trying for jury management.

My cat’s going to stop sitting on my lap Wednesday night.  I got too excited for him when Gabby was talking about Alison and I yelled “yes, go the good side!”  Then Alec won immunity, so I was hopeful that meant he'd go with the Davids.  Then TC happened.  Usually it’s excitement or rage, but either way, he doesn’t stay in my lap for the long the last couple of minutes.  I won't lie though, I'll miss doofy Dan.  

Clearly the rocks hate anyone named Carl out there.  I’d be terrified doing a rock draw at TC the way things are going.

A small piece of Christian looked like he died when he didn’t get the puzzle. 

Mike continues to be terrible at this game.  Does he really think he’s safe sticking with the Goliaths?  I was disappointed in Alec and Alison tonight.  Hopefully after tonight there's no more tribal lines, even if I want the Davids to stick together.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 20

I kind of felt sorry for Dan during his final words, because he's right.  He played an idol thinking it meant guaranteed safety, and said 'whoever heard of an idol nullifier.'  I do think he's going to be bitter.  At least he and his bro are reunited.

• Love 19

BING!  Bye Dan!  What a nice appetizer of an episode.

From the beginning...

Davey was awesome!  I took out the Mayor of Slamtown and I got his jacket!!

Alison?  I missed what she was saying.  Alec wants to abandon Goliath?  Not sure where he's going, then targets Christian.  OK then.

Dan is unappreciated.  Waah!    

Here comes the food orgy reward, with old standard obstacles.   zzzz

Crabby Carl back on Exile Island.  lol

Gabby and Allison.  They could be a good team. I hope Alison isn't overthinking this .

Well Angie, I suppose if I was out there and a Veggie burger was the only thing to eat, I would eat it.  Otherwise, no.  I made that mistake once.

Eat the rice, kill a chicken.

So Mike is all in with the Goliath strong crap.  

The idol search commences.  Shouldn't there be 2 of them?

Well done Christian!

Alec killed that IC.  Dan seems to feel very safe.  

So if Christian plays his idol, Dan jumps up and then plays his, who goes?

3 David advantages available.  

"You may ask yourself;   how do I work this?"

And they worked it to maximum firepower

Stealing Allisons vote (and she's all offended.  Please) and playing that nullifier perfectly.

Davey lost his toothpick.

I loved Carl's snicker.

• Love 13

Another great TC. One of the reasons Dan deserved to go was because he was dumb enough to waste his first idol last week on saving Angelina. 

I still think there are too many advantages and idols but it does make for  exciting tribals. 

• Love 22

Still only half-watching . . . but the nullifier getting played correctly, and it takes Dan out of the game? Holy shit. He had a point . . . you play an idol, you’re supposed to be bulletproof. I’m not complaining, mind you, but I understand any butthurt he might have.

Production must love Christian. It’s not just about seemingly channeling Sheldon. No, he comes up with a plan to find an idol, and it worked. Seeing the blue yarn and saying that doesn’t happen in nature was a bonus.

Did somebody here transcribe Davie’s talking head about booting John? He was so into it, and it was very cute.

• Love 19
9 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Man, the Davids aren't fucking around. Got rid of two of the Goliath's "big guys" back to back. All this Goliath Strong was ridiculous because these fools keep forgetting that the legend of David vs. Goliath is that David slew Goliath by outsmarting him.  Ya'll were surprised once by them but oh no, let's just stick to the 6 and do nothing and stay "Goliath Strong". I get the idea of not wanting to blow up your alliance to be on the bottom of another but Nick made a great point that the Davids showed how they were willing to flip on one of their own with the Elizabeth vote, which means there's no guarantee they would stick together and pick off any Goliath that joined with them.

If the Goliaths had any smarts, they would have realized that the David tribe was as fractured as their own, and used that as an opportunity.  As of now they have nothing on their side, whereas Christian at least has an idol for the Davids, and the Davids have good reason not to trust them.  We saw it last week, and we saw it tonight.  All because the Davids (down in numbers still) responded too quickly to Alison about voting Dan off, she thought that meant they were hiding something from her.  She was right, but you then don't go segregate yourself in plain of view of the other tribe and the people you were just trying to align with, with the majority alliance that has been picking them off.  Again, the Goliaths are way too worried about big moves and resumes, whereas the Davids are beating them with a far more strategic, methodical game.

Forgot to add, but it is fantastic that we had two advantages this season, and both were used correctly.  The Davids made the right call voting off Dan, but it would have been even more humorous if he used his idol to save himself, and then they voted for someone else-essentially wasting both his idols.

I hope next week if Mike is still talking about Goliath strong they all tell him to shut up.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 22
24 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Damn the David tribe is smug and arrogant but that is ok I guess because they are Davids.

Yeah, LOL, it is.  I love it and them.  Carl being the known alcoholic of the group.  Everyone screaming Carl's name when they hear beer is the reward.  HAHAHAHA.  I felt soooooo bad when he couldn't win!  I thought Jeff or the winning tribe would somehow let him join in the reward!!!!!!!!

I'm attracted to Alec now.  I think it's his tan and his golden curls, which I used to mock.

Carl is probably not that young, but he kind of has this really young childlike face.  Sorry. I just love him.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 20
7 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

How did Carl know about Dan's second idol?  I remember KARA told Alec and Alison, but then.... what?  The editors didn't want to show me that part?!

Kara probably told them. She flipped on Dan for really no reason easily and to work with Alec who betrayed her before?

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

Like the Goliaths have never been smug at all 🙄

Of course they have and people seem to use that smugness and arrogance as a reason not to like them but now apparently smugness and arrogance is ok if you actually like the people displaying those traits. Just an observation.  . I don't care either way because I have never had an issue with players being arrogant and smug. I like arrogance and smugness. : )

• Love 6
Just now, LanceM said:

Of course they have and people seem to use that smugness and arrogance as a reason not to like them but now apparently smugness and arrogance is ok if you actually like the people displaying those traits. Just an observation.  . I don't care either way because I have never had an issue with players being arrogant and smug. I like arrogance and smugness. : )

I hear ya. Trust me there are people on both David and Goliath I do not like. I dont get the Christian Nick and Gabby love for instance 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I kind of felt sorry for Dan during his final words, because he's right.  He played an idol thinking it meant guaranteed safety, and said 'whoever heard of an idol nullifier.'  I do think he's going to be bitter.  At least he and his bro are reunited.

I’m not sure he will be bitter.  He fist bumped Carl which was big of him. 

• Love 16
15 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Omygosh!  That was epic!  The Davids read that perfectly and used their advantages exactly as needed. They are certainly scrappy, living up to their moniker. 

Everyone is congratulating the Davids on reading the room correctly, but really, just like last week when they “perfectly” played the idol for Christian... it’s because they got information.  Last week Alec tipped them off about the vote for Christian.   This week Kara told about the idol and then either she or Alec told the Davids.  

I liked Dan.  He seemed like a nice guy.  He wasn’t very good at strategy but he was very loyal to his alliance.  I don’t fully understand why Kara kept saying he was ruining her game.  What did he do except stick by her?  I never heard anyone saying they were going to target her because she was allied with him.

Hate Carl’s smugness and kiss off display.  He made it personal and was rubbing it in.  Why do that?  It smacked of poor sportsmanship.  

At this point, I can’t believe it, but I think I’m actually rooting for Alison.  The Davids are getting cocky, especially Davie and Carl.

• Love 8

I'm not sure how Alec WHO BETRAYED HER BEFORE is better for Kara's game than Dan. Yes he got arrogant and wasn't Brillant or anything but she flipped on him so fast and ratted him out when hes never betrayed her I felt bad for him some. Hes not good for her game but someone who betrayed before is? 

• Love 20
19 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I kind of felt sorry for Dan during his final words, because he's right.  He played an idol thinking it meant guaranteed safety, and said 'whoever heard of an idol nullifier.'

That's true, but it's also a constant in Survivor. I'm sure Silas said the same thing about the tribe swap in the third season. It's not always fair. I'm just realizing that it probably wasn't an accident that this episode had Probst commiserating with Carl at the RC- "The highs and lows of Survivor."

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Everyone is congratulating the Davids on reading the room correctly, but really, just like last week when they “perfectly” played the idol for Christian... it’s because they got information.  Last week Alec tipped them off about the vote for Christian.   This week Kara told about the idol and then either she or Alec told the Davids.  

I liked Dan.  He seemed like a nice guy.  He wasn’t very good at strategy but he was very loyal to his alliance.  I don’t fully understand why Kara kept saying he was ruining her game.  What did he do except stick by her?  I never heard anyone saying they were going to target her because she was allied with him.

Hate Carl’s smugness and kiss off display.  He made it personal and was rubbing it in.  Why do that?  It smacked of poor sportsmanship.  

At this point, I can’t believe it, but I think I’m actually rooting for Alison.  The Davids are getting cocky, especially Davie and Carl.

I'm guessing it might have been Alec who told them.  I think Alec is still trying to stay in the good graces of the Davids, just in case, and again, I think he's trying for jury management.  Tonight at TC he was all 'oh yeah, the Davids have a point about being down and getting picked off' and played a more sympathetic angle.  

Honestly I think the Davids are justified to be a little cocky.  They've been down in numbers and the Goliaths are throwing them a line but then reeling it in.  The Goliaths were just going to pick them off, and instead, the Davids have managed to even out the game.  Maybe they got help, but they still have played a good strategic game.  I know the nullifier is new, but the Goliaths clearly are not thinking ahead or learning from the last TC.  And we saw a team effort idol hunt on the part of the Davids while the Goliaths were still snoozing.

My stomach was in knots as soon as Nick played the advantage because IT NEVER WORKS.  But it did!

All I kept saying was 'do not be an idiot and split the two votes.'

That's true, but it's also a constant in Survivor. I'm sure Silas said the same thing about the tribe swap in the third season. It's not always fair. I'm just realizing that it probably wasn't an accident that this episode had Probst commiserating with Carl at the RC- "The highs and lows of Survivor."

*Sigh* Silas, my first Survivor crush.  I'm still bitter over that one.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 13
23 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Mike is 100% my Bitch Eating Crackers now. 

I thought he would torn apart for saying "Let's not be bitches".  He should be better than that at being diplomatic on camera.  Dumb thing for him to say.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

I'm not sure how Alec WHO BETRAYED HER BEFORE is better for Kara's game than Dan. Yes he got arrogant and wasn't Brillant or anything but she flipped on him so fast and ratted him out when hes never betrayed her I felt bad for him some. Hes not good for her game but someone who betrayed before is? 

I agree.  I get that it’s Survivor, but she was his absolute closest ally in the game.  I’m still trying to figure out what he did that made her betray him so easily.  Wonder what he was thinking tonight watching at home and seeing how easily she threw him over, and for no good reason.  If she was just trying to ingratiate herself with the Davids, why not work to get out Angelina?  Instead she threw over the one guy that would have had her back until the end.

I wonder if she was trying to do a Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera “she voted out her mom!!!” so-called “memorable” move.

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Man, the Davids aren't fucking around. Got rid of two of the Goliath's "big guys" back to back. All this Goliath Strong was ridiculous because these fools keep forgetting that the legend of David vs. Goliath is that David slew Goliath by outsmarting him.  

That’s not what the account in the Bible says though. David told Goliath that it doesn’t matter if you’re big or small; whoever does the will of God is the one who will win the war. David actually used very little skill/military smarts, God just empowered David to win (1 Samuel 17). Since nobody in Survivor is more Godly than the other, I wish they would stop comparing themselves to the Bible account. Gabby said something weird about Alison needing to come to the “good” side. I hope she was just joking.

When all of the Davids got up at the crack of dawn and the whole alliance looked for an idol together, I was thinking, “Woah, game changer. I bet more alliances will do that in the future.” Are the Goliaths just sitting at home realizing how hard they were outplayed and kicking themselves? Did none of them realize at the time that alllll the Davids had woken up and left? Lol, I love this season.

• Love 15
Just now, ByaNose said:

Alec is a stud. Great face, killer beard, awesome hair, challenge beast & not an a**.  He’s better than Joey Amazing!

2 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I agree.  I get that it’s Survivor, but she was his absolute closest ally in the game.  I’m still trying to figure out what he did that made her betray him so easily.  Wonder what he was thinking tonight watching at home and seeing how easily she threw him over, and for no good reason.  If she was just trying to ingratiate herself with the Davids, why not work to get out Angelina?  Instead she threw over the one guy that would have had her back until the end.

I wonder if she was trying to do a Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera “she voted out her mom!!!” so-called “memorable” move.

I dont know. I just dont get how Alec betrayed her before but hes better for her game. Guess his looks got him a pass which is sad 

• Love 1

So was Nick stealing Alison's vote personal, random, or strategic to make it look like they were voting for her?

I'm starting to second guess throwing support behind Alison after tonight. I don't get why the Goliaths give up so easy.  Did Kara even try to fight to blindside Dan after Alison and Alec told her they changed their mind?

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Damn the David tribe is smug and arrogant but that is ok I guess because they are Davids.

I think there is a difference if you're still the underdogs, at least on paper with a numerical disadvantage. I think at worst they were responding in kind. Actually the arrogance of the Golaiths seems like it bonded the Davids into a tighter group than they ever were originally. We will see how they act next week, but this week they were still underdogs.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 21
3 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

So was Nick stealing Alison's vote personal, random, or strategic to make it look like they were voting for her?

I'm starting to second guess throwing support behind Alison after tonight. I don't get why the Goliaths give up so easy.  Did Kara even try to fight to blindside Dan after Alison and Alec told her they changed their mind?

We weren't shown a crucial piece in the episode.  The obvious fact that Alec and Kara DID stick with the Davids and the plan to split the vote between Dan and Angelina.  They might have clued in the Davids that Allison had bailed on the plan.

Again I think the scene we saw with Alec and Kara seemingly agreeing to stay Goliath Strong was shot BEFORE the scene to join with the Davids and split the votes but was edited to run the opposite way on the show which is typical of Survivor of showing things out of sequence to heighten the drama.

Edited by green
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, green said:

We weren't shown a crucial piece in the episode.  The obvious fact that Alec and Kara DID stick with the Davids and the plan to split the vote between Dan and Angelina.  They might have clued in the Davids that Allison had bailed on the plan.

So that brings up a more interesting question, but did Alison truly bail or did she change her mind again and go back to splitting the vote?  Clearly we don't know since she didn't vote, but that has me intrigued.  In addition, Kara and Alec were sitting no where near each other at TC so they couldn't have talked to each other, but I had wondered if they decided to go back to Angelina to simply to show loyalty to the Davids.  But your comment would make more sense.  Maybe they assumed Dan would be safe because of his idol so they didn't feel any guilt about ratting him out.

Idols have been around since Guatemala, and they've been played the current way since Fiji (not counting super idols).  Maybe we'll finally get a season where the idol is an absolute surprise because whoever has it told no one?

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4

The last two episodes can easily be held up as to why SURVIVOR is still on the air and popular after nearly 20 years. Magnificent gameplay on display with the comeuppance of a tool as the icing on the cake. I really do dread the day when the promo at the end of the penultimate episode comes on and we hear...join us next week on the SERIES finale of SURVIVOR.

Oh, Gabby you are gorgeous and such a sweet smile....especially when Alec was getting the Immunity Necklace. Lots of airtime for Gabby versus minimal for Mike is good in my book any day. I actually had to fast forward through the burger bar because I couldn't bring myself to watch anything that gives Mike any pleasure.

One quibble...I would co-sign a ban on using the term "building a resume"....it's a tiresome phrase and played out. Please stop.

Oh to have a view into Dan's living room tonight as he has to watch his lady love be the ringleader in the ORIGINAL plan to oust him. That my friends must have been what you call a body blow.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 19
6 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

So that brings up a more interesting question, but did Alison truly bail or did she change her mind again and go back to splitting the vote?  Clearly we don't know since she didn't vote, but that has me intrigued.  In addition, Kara and Alec were sitting no where near each other at TC so they couldn't have talked to each other, but I had wondered if they decided to go back to Angelina to simply to show loyalty to the Davids.  But your comment would make more sense.  Maybe they assumed Dan would be safe because of his idol so they didn't feel any guilt about ratting him out.

Idols have been around since Guatemala, and they've been played the current way since Fiji (not counting super idols).  Maybe we'll finally get a season where the idol is an absolute surprise because whoever has it told no one?

Dan even said in his GBM that Kara must've wanted to be in the bottom of the David's. Kara is a fool. Dan was loyal to her but Alec is better for her game when hes betrayed her before. I hope it cost her 

• Love 7

I thought kara and alec would have voted a david out, but when Nick brought out the vote stealing advantage they knew they were outnumbered and reverted back to the old david plan to be in the winning side. That was the look/confirmation they gave one a other at the tribal.

I also thought taking away Alison's vote was a message about her wishywashiness. Gabby knew she was wishywashy all along.

Edited by cleo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 20