Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: New Kids on the Dock

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

The crew welcomes aboard their largest group of charter guests yet, including two young children, posing new challenges for everyone. While Chef Adrian jumps through hoops to please all their preferences, Chandler tries to redeem himself with Captain Lee. After being banished to the guest cabins with her injuries, Caroline struggles to find her place back with the interior, but her sour mood pushes Adrian to snap.

Airs November 13, 2018.

• Love 2

Yikes. If this was the only episode I had ever seen it would be enough to make me not want to ever charter a super yacht. A disappointing mess from top to bottom. The family was nice about being stranded without any provisions on their excursion...nicer than I might have been, and I’m pretty easy going about service.

This season has more than its fair share of crew members taking their bad moods out on other people.  It’s not fun to watch.

It’s almost impossible to believe how much worse things seem to get, based on the previews. Holy shit ... kids getting cut open by broken glass on the deck??? That is insane.

• Love 14
5 minutes ago, Irritable said:

This season has more than its fair share of crew members taking their bad moods out on other people.  It’s not fun to watch.

I agree, I am to the point anytime Caroline is speaking or the deck crew interacting with each other I mute the, there is not much left to watch at this rate.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

I just think it was strange that they just left the guests off on the beach without a single crew member along.  As far as I can remember there has always been at least one crew member with the guests on land excursions.

I found that confusing and frankly, a liability. I don’t think they expected to be left alone completely, even if they had a way to communicate to the boat. There was definitely a miscommunication there. I blame the full crew for that as, even if Chandler was once again, out of communication, common sense should’ve won out in leaving them completely without anything but some fins and snorkels. But this did all stem from Chandler being so stuck up his own butt, he wasn’t aware until much later that they were going on this excursion and that Chandler literally never lays out a full plan for the crew and expects them to just know what he wants, even as things change. 

• Love 17
1 minute ago, bosawks said:

Wasn’t it just last week that Chandler told everyone how he was going to micromanage them?

Maybe the current definition of micromanage is eating cereal and blowing off excursions....

and, either shutting off his radio or ignoring the call.

• Love 24

I'm surprised too that one of the crew didn't stay with the group snorkeling and even leave the tender there too.  Especially with kids.  Any emergency could have occurred. Someone could have stepped on a jelly fish for instance.   With the tender boat there, they wouldn't have been without supplies.  Wonder if this was producer manipulation?  I saw they had some water to drink.

• Love 12

The crew problems are all on Chandler.  Pay attention.  You're the bosun.  You've been on Rylee the whole season.  So, yep, she's gonna question to make sure this is what you want.  Chandler needs to be fired.

I don't know how I totally feel about Caroline.  Having a swollen foot and pain is tough when you're a stewardess.  I don't think Kate handled it in the best way.  And, BTW, I really like Kate.  I don't feel like Caroline should be fired but she should feel more like part of the interior.  Hard to express.

I would totally bring my kids at that age on a yacht.  They were already sailing  at that age and would totally love it.  Ok.  They didn't have the sophisticated palettes of those kids....  Eight for dinner?  Heck.  I couldn't do eight o'clock without serious appetizers.  No less expecting little kids to stay up that late.  Kudos to Lee for the life jacket rule.  No exceptions.

Edited by breezy424
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, langford peel said:

I would bring my kids. Some of us love our children and would take them on our vacation. I see them all the time on cruises ? and at fancy hotels.

because it's kind of an adult vacation! kids that age aren't old enough to enjoy it, aren't old enough to even remember it, really. and it's not like this is a disney cruise or otherwise kids-oriented cruise, it's geared towards adult fun and enjoyment - alcohol, jacuzzis, fancy interior, fancy exterior...it's just not kid-friendly! i think parents should bring their kids on kid-friendly vacations, otherwise, find someone to take care of them for a week! 

1 hour ago, breezy424 said:

The crew problems are all on Chandler.  Pay attention.  You're the bosun.  You've been on Rylee the whole season.  So, yep, she's gonna question to make sure this is what you want.  Chandler needs to be fired.

I don't know how I totally feel about Caroline.  Having a swollen foot and pain is tough when you're a stewardess.  I don't think Kate handled it in the best way.  And, BTW, I really like Kate.  I don't feel like Caroline should be fired but she should feel more like part of the interior.  Hard to express.

I would totally bring my kids at that age on a yacht.  They were already sailing  at that age and would totally love it.  Ok.  They didn't have the sophisticated palettes of those kids....  Eight for dinner?  Heck.  I couldn't do eight o'clock without serious appetizers.  No less expecting little kids to stay up that late.  Kudos to Lee for the life jacket rule.  No exceptions.

Have you seen Caroline's Twitter? It may change your outlook on her. It changed mine. The girl is batshit. She tweeted (then deleted) this rant about how she thinks Kate and Josiah were plotting against her by isolating her! 

• Love 20
1 hour ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

I totally agree with the wrongness of Adrian playing the misery olympics, but I think his point more was that everyone has shit going on in their life and you never know who is hurting silently, so maybe Caroline should consider that before projecting her misery on others. I don’t agree with how he delivered this message,  but I don’t disagree with the message. She whined that Kate “grounded her” like a child and maybe Kate wouldn’t have had to if Caroline actually acted like an adult and listened to the doctor’s orders and rested. Instead, Caroline has dragged her swollen toe to and fro, bemoaning her injury, and asking for a response. I do think she genuinely is in pain, but I also think there was plenty of “Look at my pain! Look at the pain I’m enduring to do this job! Pain!!!” I’ve said this before but she has some heavy anxiety and it is manifesting in paranoia and irritation and distracting her entirely. For her whole health, not just the toe, she needs off that boat. 

Agreed. I don't think she's tough enough to handle the demands and culture of yatchting and I definitely don't think she's strong enough to handle being on reality TV. In yachting, from what I can see, if you don't pull your own weight, you have a hard time, the rest of your group starts to resent you because that's more work for them. And it's pretty cutthroat in that they don't care WHY you aren't doing your fair share of the work, legit or not, all they care about is they have to pick up your slack and they resent you. it's understandable, under those circumstances, bc it is a LOT of work, already and they are doing everything they can to get a good tip. this is their livelihood. so the attitude is, shit or get off the pot, step up or step off. 

caroline doesn't get that, she just wants to be coddled and told, "baby, it's ok." she needs constant reassurance, it's exhausting and that's the last thing she's gonna get from her co-workers when she's not pulling her weight. 

• Love 22
5 hours ago, langford peel said:

I would bring my kids. Some of us love our children and would take them on our vacation. I see them all the time on cruises ? and at fancy hotels.

Well, except a cruise is a completely different experience than an elite private yacht.

Those kids were well behaved.... but I can't wait to see how they behave when they are teenagers/go to college (assuming they go to college). My parents always say my sister and I were remarkably well behaved as kids and basically never acted out, but we just happened to make their life hell once we got to college, ha. Guess we should have acted out sooner instead of being good kids.

• Love 10

I don't know about you guys but when the wife and I watch this show we fantasize about what we do if we were lucky enough to go on a cruise like this. We both agree that we would take the whole family including young grandchildren. If I was paying the big bucks I would want to enjoy it with the people I love and create beautiful memories.

Having two well behaved sweet kids like this beats the hell out of yappy dogs shitting on the carpet or selfie taking douches leaving used scum bags on the dresser.

Now in the preview it implies that the crews incompetence gets a kid cut and injured? I would fire the whole crew. No that's not right.

i would kheel haul the lot.

This is on Captain Lee. He knows that Chandler is shit and they don't clean up broken glass on the deck and a child...a baby gets hurt? Screw that. Heads must roll.

Up to and including Teflon Lee.

Edited by langford peel
  • Love 12
25 minutes ago, langford peel said:

I don't know about you guys but when the wife and I watch this show we fantasize about what we do if we were lucky enough to go on a cruise like this. We both agree that we would take the whole family including young grandchildren. If I was paying the big bucks I would want to enjoy it with the people I love and create beautiful memories.

Having two well behaved sweet kids like this beats the hell out of yappy dogs shitting on the carpet or selfie taking douches leaving used scum bags on the dresser.

Now in the preview it implies that the crews incompetence gets a kid cut and injured? I would fire the whole crew. No that's not right.

i would kheel haul the lot.

This is on Captain Lee. He knows that Chandler is shit and they don't clean up broken glass on the deck and a child...a baby gets hurt? Screw that. Heads must roll.

Up to and including Teflon Lee.

I can see what you’re saying about wanting to enjoy it with people you love and care about most, though I think you could also do that with your kids when they’re older! That way, they can enjoy it with you! A 4 year old isn’t old enough to really care or appreciate a trip like that. 

I understand wanting to enjoy things with people I’m closest to, tho. 

Screaming kids doesn’t beat the hell out of dealing with douchbags who take selfies all day, to me. At least the selfie douchbags know how to be quiet! Kids that age are a liability, IMO. They just are. And not old enough to appreciate it. 

IDK, to me, it’s like bringing your grandmother to your favorite nightclub or something haha. You wanna enjoy the club with people you enjoy being around, but would your grandma be enjoying herself or appreciate the music or any of that? 

• Love 5

The dad earned some maaajor eyerolls when he was saying how his kids aren't into kids meals & chicken nuggets or whatever. They've probably never been fed that shit since they come from money and they probably attend frou-frou bougie preschool where such lowly foods are banned, so they probably don't even know what chicken nuggets and hot dogs are. 

It's like when vegan parents who have their kids on a vegan diet brag about how their kids love being vegans. Uh, that's all they know. 

(I'm thinking of some recent Alicia Silverstone interview where she also said her son has never gotten sick because he's a vegan. Heh, yeah... ok. Says the lady who regurgitated chewed up food into his mouth like a bird. He loves that, right?)

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 14

I seriously feel that Wendy should change the name of this show to Below Dreck, for obvious reasons. At this point, both Caroline and Chandler should be fired. That’s all I got right now...the only reason I keep tuning in isn’t for the Kasiah loving.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AttackTurtle said:

It’s not entirely clear that the mom’s dementia is the whole story with Caroline.  There is a whole lot of crazy going on her life.  

Kate has found a second stew soul mate in Josiah.  I do not see them going out of their way to isolate Caroline and in an odd way, their bond is making her injury less of a burden.  Up until this episode, the two of them seem to really love working together and have not complained.  In the past, Kate has been a mean girl (she was terrible to Amy in their first season), but I don’t see it here.  

Caroline’s Twitter is insane.  She’s comparing her treatment by slate to the Me Too movement.  Her criticism of Capt. Lee, Kate, and nearly everyone was my heads up that she’s getting the boot.

Wait, do we know for sure that somebody's getting fired this season? 

I think it certainly looks like Captain Lee is firing someone on Kate’s crew and that has to be Caroline.

in a preview earlier this season Kate said something like, “Its her or me” and now we know Caroline can’t do the work and is creating weird paranoid drama everywhere she goes.

Based on the hallway standoff from some previews and Caroline’s comments on Twitter I think Cptn Lee physically removes her from the ship and she screams, cries, and fights the whole time.

At this point I think Caroline has some serious mental health issues. Stories about her mom’s dementia and now disappearing and her brother’s violent tendencies indicate some long term, familial problems coupled with her on board behavior and subsequent social media postings... she’s not okay.

• Love 9

Chandler was checking his phone when the crew tried to contact him about weather to stay or return to ship.  Or it could be manipulative edit8ng

But how could they forget to leave all the provisions?  Hard to imagine that really happened.

Rhylee jawing at Ashton.  Ok if Chandler is shitty, why are you taking it out on the other bloke?  And it’s not clear captain saying they may not stay at their first anchorage may not get filtered down to the deck crew.

As for them prepar8ng to put out the toys when the guests were doing the excursion, looks like it was completely news to Chandler.

• Love 2

What time did Chandler go off service?  It looked to be around the same time as the guest's dinner. That may be why he had no clue about the next day's itinerary. Have we ever seen anyone work as few hours as he apparently does?  Useless.

I get what Adrian was saying, Caroline's attitude affects everyone. They have to walk on eggshells around her. From the previews, it looks like she's on to another ailment next week. Definitely time for her to go.

• Love 7

Caroline should voluntarily leave the boat due to her foot.  The doctor doesn't know what is wrong after two visits and you are in Tahiti where you don't know what you may have contracted?  I'd be gone.  Also, she sucks at her job anyway and as third stew will be easy to replace.

Chandler should be fired for actually just refusing to DO his job.  He doesn't have them on an actual schedule or any organization whatsoever.  They are looking to him to lead and he is NOT a leader.  How is he even a bosun?

I love Kate so much. She is actually my favorite Bravo-lebrity, I think. 

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Emmeline said:

I just think it was strange that they just left the guests off on the beach without a single crew member along.  As far as I can remember there has always been at least one crew member with the guests on land excursions.

Wasn't it a crew member who radioed the yacht that the guests were ready to leave because there were no towels and no water?  I think that was when Captain Lee made his "ass for dinner" comment.

At this point I am faulting Captain Lee for these problems. He's known about the crew failings and has done nothing about them except to lecture the crew.  Of course the crew problems are going to get worse since he's doing nothing about them.

Broken glass on a stairway and a child stepping into it? That's a lawsuit!  I'd be checking out the fine print in my Bravo contract for that one.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Skycatcher said:

Wasn't it a crew member who radioed the yacht that the guests were ready to leave because there were no towels and no water?  I think that was when Captain Lee made his "ass for dinner" comment.

No, the primary called Kate on her cell phone to say they were ready to leave. None of the crew was there at the time. Kate then called the crew over the radio. 

• Love 12
9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I'm not a fan of Misery Olympics. Without knowing what exactly is happening with Caroline's mom, Adrian was absolutely playing that game and it's a dick move.  I believe Adrian mentioned that his father's illness was protracted, which sucks. However, seeing someone with really early onset dementia is the mindfuck of all mindfucks. The first person I had ever seen with it was 38. His family couldn't handle him. A nursing home couldn't handle him. Physically he had the body and energy of a guy in his 30s, mentally...it was not good. In one really bad episode, he looked around and realized he was a young guy on a memory care unit with people twice his age. So he figured out a way to get into the vents and ceiling spaces to try to escape until the ceiling buckled under his weight and he fell through. He broke quite a few bones. Caroline is high strung, but Adrian took the shithead bait. I'm not pleased with either party in that interaction.

I didn't seem him as trying to compare or one-up her. I thought he was trying to say - "We ALL have our shit. You either put it aside and work, or leave and deal with it." I realize watching someone with dementia is fucking awful and I have so much sympathy for Caroline in that regard. But if she knows she's not able to compartmentalize and work hard, like Adrian does, she should not have signed up for such an intense job. I think, at this point, Adrian had just had enough of her attitude. 

8 hours ago, SheTalksShit said:

because it's kind of an adult vacation! kids that age aren't old enough to enjoy it, aren't old enough to even remember it, really. and it's not like this is a disney cruise or otherwise kids-oriented cruise, it's geared towards adult fun and enjoyment - alcohol, jacuzzis, fancy interior, fancy exterior...it's just not kid-friendly! i think parents should bring their kids on kid-friendly vacations, otherwise, find someone to take care of them for a week! 

I don't have a problem either way. I've done vacations without my kids, mainly because if I'm doing something expensive (like going to Ireland), I know I can't afford to bring all 3 of them. But if people have the money and genuinely want to bring their kids, why not? I think there was plenty the kids could enjoy on that trip and they seemed to be pretty well behaved, considering. I'm guessing they've basically been raised in "fancier" places, so the yacht probably wasn't totally alien to them. 

8 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Those kids were well behaved.... but I can't wait to see how they behave when they are teenagers/go to college (assuming they go to college). My parents always say my sister and I were remarkably well behaved as kids and basically never acted out, but we just happened to make their life hell once we got to college, ha. Guess we should have acted out sooner instead of being good kids.

Ooooh, so does this mean my 3 hellions will be little angels in their teenage/early adult years???

8 hours ago, AttackTurtle said:

I loved Kate deciding not to pass along the complaints to Adrienne.  I knew Caroline was going to run her mouth anyways, but I liked Kate’s reasoning for not telling him.

I agreed with Kate on this as well. I'm sure Adrian realized he did not perform his best. Plus, Kate is used to chefs psyching themselves out, so she probably just wanted to keep him in a good head space. 

1 minute ago, esco1822 said:

No, the primary called Kate on her cell phone to say they were ready to leave. None of the crew was there at the time. Kate then called the crew over the radio. 

I'm just flabbergasted as to why they left the guests in the first place. Ross has ostensibly been a bosun before. He seems to have a sharp mind. He should have known that the guests would need towels and water. He should have known that at least one crew member should be with them on the excursion. It just makes no sense to me. 

• Love 9

The way it was set up it was the charter guest called Kate’s personal cell phone. That seems bogus. 

I agree that Captain Lee is at fault. He knew his deck crew was crap and he needed to make changes instead of sitting on his ass like he was sitting and spitting in n front of us he General Store.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I'm just flabbergasted as to why they left the guests in the first place. Ross has ostensibly been a bosun before. He seems to have a sharp mind. He should have known that the guests would need towels and water. He should have known that at least one crew member should be with them on the excursion. It just makes no sense to me. 

The only thing that would make sense to me is if the excursion was with an outside company/provider who was supervising. There was definitely at least one guy there not on charter (I think he was bald?) because he tied the tender to the dock so the passengers could board. So my thought is the crew would only leave if the guests were under the supervision of some other professionals. Production would leave out that little detail to stir up more drama. 

• Love 4

For Lee, every season is ass eating season. I cannot wait for him to start handing out those plane tickets.

It was quick, but it looks like in the teaser that Caroline's endless downward spiral is going to include panic burping. I'm torn on that, because it's objectively funny, but -- anxiety disorders manifesting in reflux is totally a thing, I get that too (and there's nothing sweeter than being in a public place, sweating, trying to remain upright, and swallowing burps), and The Jinx already made us panicky burpers look stupid. 

I wonder if the cast is allowed to bring (legit, prescribed) Xanax on board with them. It's a controlled substance, and they're overseas, so maybe not -- but I feel like Caroline could benefit from a decent handful of them.

• Love 2

I understand Chef Unicorns frustration with having to make a meal that has so many dietary restrictions. I just wish that he had been a bit more vocal about them to clue us in to what he was up against. 

They spend time filming the weirdest things. I also would have over to see more of Kate’s set ups for the children, their fascination at swimming with the sharks and stingrays. Who ever mentioned that a crew member should have stayed with them is correct. Anything could have happened and there was no coverage or a person with a walkie talkie to get them anything needed. 

Even though they have 10 people on this charter I wouldn’t be surprised if they get a very low tip based on the dinner last night, the excursion andthe child getting his foot cut next week. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I understand Chef Unicorns frustration with having to make a meal that has so many dietary restrictions. I just wish that he had been a bit more vocal about them to clue us in to what he was up against. 

They spend time filming the weirdest things. I also would have over to see more of Kate’s set ups for the children, their fascination at swimming with the sharks and stingrays. Who ever mentioned that a crew member should have stayed with them is correct. Anything could have happened and there was no coverage or a person with a walkie talkie to get them anything needed. 

Even though they have 10 people on this charter I wouldn’t be surprised if they get a very low tip based on the dinner last night, the excursion andthe child getting his foot cut next week. 

I was thinking the same thing - I was also wondering that if a tip is offered, would Captain Lee accept it?

• Love 5