Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: New Kids on the Dock

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

One time my friend Samantha, she's a publicist, was going on a business trip to Abu Dhabi and she had all kinds of OTC hormone creams because she was going through menopause and they got confiscated on the way into the country.  Then she got kicked out of the country for making out on the beach.  She also almost started a riot in the souq by dressing scantily, yelling, and flinging around condoms.

6 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

She sounds like a perfect candidate for one of the Housewives franchises.  ;-)

8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

@yourmomiseasy Ha Ha!

23 minutes ago, BodhiGurl said:

Hmmm.... sounds surprisingly like Samantha Jones's main storyline from the movie Sex and the City 2 ;) 

Well, your "friend" Samantha and her gal pals were kind of the archetypes for the Real (rich and entitled) Housewives/Ladies of Any City. Though that group of widows and one divorcee in Miami were also another big influence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks @diadochokinesis for the info. I know that you live over there and are much more knowledgeable about the laws.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Well, your "friend" Samantha and her gal pals were kind of the archetypes for the Real (rich and entitled) Housewives/Ladies of Any City. Though that group of widows and one divorcee in Miami were also another big influence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks @diadochokinesis for the info. I know that you live over there and are much more knowledgeable about the laws.

Not anymore!  We moved 2 months ago.  We are now in NorCal (hello fires!). 

• Love 3
On 11/16/2018 at 8:45 AM, lcarolynl said:

If it were Below Deck Med, Hannah would have stayed with the guests and I think if Caroline were healthy and normal, she might have gone along and stayed with the guests to cater to their needs

I don't think I've ever seen a guest activity on BD or BDMed, where the guests were left totally on their own. Sandy sent 2 stews while they were doing guided tours of Croatia and Italy. Stews would go along when the guests were just on land for a dinner (like pizza making). 

I'm thinking this was a set up too. Rhylee packed those 9 bags plus 1 with ???. This was an excursion with 10 guests, 2 kids - "kids are dangerous as hell..there is no margin for error with kids" said Cpt Lee - they are swimming with stingrays and sharks in a spot that needs both the tender and the smaller emergency craft to get them to the destination. Cpt Lee WAS furious with the deck crew last outing for ALL going, because 1 'swinging dick' needed to be on board and their were none. Rhylee has been briliiant with guests and suddenly she too 'forgets' to hand over the necessities for their comfort that she has just packed? And possibly either Ross or Ashton loaded and ALL of them heard Cpt Lee specifically mention and even Chandler asked about? 

I do get that they needed 2 boats to get them into an unsafe landing beach. And therefore, one deck crew would have to anchor that small boat or drag it up the sand and someone else would have to take the Intrepid back, or have it anchored just outside the breakers (if this had happened, they'd sure as hell not have forgotten the deckbags, that'd be boring and hot). There's enough of them to have had 1 on the MY Seanna and 1 on the Intrepid and the other 2 with the guests. I think when Cpt Lee said 'this is Deck Crew 101' he meant that there IS always a deck crew member about for outdoor activities to hand the guests their dry towels and beer and water. Otherwise, why not stay at a hotel on land and book an excursion via a business card by the guest relations desk?

Hopefully this is a setup by one of the deckcrew and isn't production monkeying, because if it is, it'll be HUGE at the reunion. It'll blow Caroline and her ailments out of the water. Maybe that's why she's going nuts on SM!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Dang, that is some unfortunate timing.  :-(

Tell me about it!  Luckily, we are around 150 miles or so from Camp Fire but we are in the horrible air quality area of NorCal so everything is shutting down because the air is basically toxic. 

10 minutes ago, queenjen said:

I don't think I've ever seen a guest activity on BD or BDMed, where the guests were left totally on their own. Sandy sent 2 stews while they were doing guided tours of Croatia and Italy. Stews would go along when the guests were just on land for a dinner (like pizza making). 

I'm thinking this was a set up too. Rhylee packed those 9 bags plus 1 with ???. This was an excursion with 10 guests, 2 kids - "kids are dangerous as hell..there is no margin for error with kids" said Cpt Lee - they are swimming with stingrays and sharks in a spot that needs both the tender and the smaller emergency craft to get them to the destination. Cpt Lee WAS furious with the deck crew last outing for ALL going, because 1 'swinging dick' needed to be on board and their were none. Rhylee has been briliiant with guests and suddenly she too 'forgets' to hand over the necessities for their comfort that she has just packed? And possibly either Ross or Ashton loaded and ALL of them heard Cpt Lee specifically mention and even Chandler asked about? 

I do get that they needed 2 boats to get them into an unsafe landing beach. And therefore, one deck crew would have to anchor that small boat or drag it up the sand and someone else would have to take the Intrepid back, or have it anchored just outside the breakers (if this had happened, they'd sure as hell not have forgotten the deckbags, that'd be boring and hot). There's enough of them to have had 1 on the MY Seanna and 1 on the Intrepid and the other 2 with the guests. I think when Cpt Lee said 'this is Deck Crew 101' he meant that there IS always a deck crew member about for outdoor activities to hand the guests their dry towels and beer and water. Otherwise, why not stay at a hotel on land and book an excursion via a business card by the guest relations desk?

Hopefully this is a setup by one of the deckcrew and isn't production monkeying, because if it is, it'll be HUGE at the reunion. It'll blow Caroline and her ailments out of the water. Maybe that's why she's going nuts on SM!

That’s what amazed me.  The guests are NEVER left on their own!  There is always deckhands or stews (or both!) with them at all times.  If something would have happened, it would have been a disaster because nobody would have been there to assist/get them to a hospital. The boat is ultimately responsible the well-being of these people and they just left them stranded there!  As a mom, I would have been worried just because little kids can get dehydrated quickly in that environment.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

UAE just changed their laws a couple of months ago.  ALL prescriptions must be preapproved before arriving in the country.  Several prescriptions are either outlawed or tightly controlled (including Adderall which made it difficult for parents with kids who were ADHD)

No more housewive trips to Dubai then! 

• Love 3

I think what Rhylee said was that there were 9 drybags and then the 10th bag was in a regular bag.  I'm guessing the boat only had 9 dry bags, since they typically don't have 10 guests, so they had 10 individual bags, but not all were in drybags.  

• Love 1

Caroline doesn’t have the emotional fortitude for any job. I tried to “work with her” but I can’t even. She needs to get her infected foot and her moopy ass out of here.  She doesn’t do anything anyway and takes people away from their jobs to deal with her. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, BodhiGurl said:

Hmmm.... sounds surprisingly like Samantha Jones's main storyline from the movie Sex and the City 2 ;) 

Yeah, I figured since we're all Bravo's bitches we've probably all seen it.  I don't even like that show and I've seen that movie roughly 875 times, all on Bravo, and every time I'm confused about whether or not I'm supposed to find it charming that the women all all overgrown toddlers.

• Love 7
On 11/14/2018 at 12:43 PM, BodhiGurl said:

She's also actively commenting on Facebook (Below Deck's official page - within comment sections). I think she gets sent home - I can't imagine someone who is hoping to return for another season would get this invested on Social Media and would be dogging her coworkers as Caroline is. 

Riley (I refuse to spell it) is openly ranking on Chandler on Twitter...so who knows?  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, noveltylibrary said:

Riley (I refuse to spell it) is openly ranking on Chandler on Twitter...so who knows?  

Going after Chandler, whom Lee is openly going after as well, is very different than going after the Chief Stew and Captain, the mainstays off the show, IMO.

ETA: Captain Lee retweeted this tweet from 3 years ago. Seems like a little foreshadowing?

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 1
On 11/13/2018 at 7:01 PM, Skycatcher said:

That was disappointing. The previews keep leading me to believe that something's actually going to happen and all I get are teasers for the next episode.

Yes, Capt. Lee blowing his lid and making changes some people won't like....is still off in the future.

• Love 2
On 11/13/2018 at 7:08 PM, ghoulina said:

1. And they didn't like his dinner! That was a first. I'm sure it's not easy to figure out what to make for such a diverse group of allergies, preferences, etc....let alone be inspired by it. But I appreciate his humility and desire to learn from his experiences. 

2/ I also kind of love when he told Caroline - "My dad died! Suck it up!" She had a valid point when she said that we all handle things differently. But if you know you're prone to anxiety and I really don't know what to think about the situation with the guests and the excursion. Completely unacceptable. And, for once, I'm not ready to put this all on Chandler. Even if there are communication issues, common sense dictates you don't leave the guests without the very items you packed for them.

1: Seemed like a tough group to keep happy with all the menu limitations, but mainly he fell down on the steaks.  I'm not sure how easy that is to do right on a yacht in Tahitian waters.  

Yes, it was great he was humble to recognize he was known as "yes, but..." and had to keep open to hear and to learning.

2:The excursion crew was negligent in not offloading the supplies from the tender to the landing craft.  Chandler though could have directed them through this ahead of time, just saying "off load the people and supplies" to the landing craft, but at some point Capt Lee told them (I think) to offload the people using two boats, and Chandler did not give specifics to his crew.  Later Chandler was on headphones and not on radio, and later yet when he went out to the Shark/Stingray area, he was driving in circles and had to have Ross drive in to the people.  Even the passengers said he looked to new to the job.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

The excursion crew was negligent in not offloading the supplies from the tender to the landing craft.  Chandler though could have directed them.......

The crew packed the dry bags before the excursion.  The bags were on the deck of the tender, out in the open, not only easily seen but kind of hard not to trip over. What did they think they were there for, ballast?

I don't tweet but I can't resist....

#NOTthinking

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 1

@skycatcher, Maybe, without direction from clueless Chandler, they thought the towels and drinks were for after the event and so only transferred the people to the little boat.  Once people get incapacitated with no direction and the micro-managing by checkup, they fail to think rationally.  Didn't even ask, when not sure (if it occurred to them at all), when the bags would be needed.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, MajorNelson said:

they thought the towels and drinks were for after the event and so only transferred the people to the little boat. 

I thought of that, almost added it to my comment. But didn't they pack beer as well?  Warm beer for after an event? Nyah.

• Love 1

@skycatcher, hey I'm not being critical, just jumping off your comment, and lots of people have pointed out the problems with that excursion.  Honestly, unless I've missed it, I've never seen a boat to boat transfer and it looks to be one of the more complex or even dangerous situations, or if nothing else, problematic.  For sure Chandler should have been hands-on, and maybe even Capt. Lee should have been involved if he thought this deck crew were idiots.

Now...here's what I would like to see happen.  Fire Caroline, as she is unfit for this service and her delicate nature.  Offer Rhylee the chance to move to third stew as she is good with guests and has helped Kate when needed.  If possible, fire Chandler, move Ross up to Bosun and then just hire two deckhands as (my opinion) it would be easier to hire two male grunts than a semi-talented stew in a short timeframe.

If they don't fire Chandler he will prove to be a thorn as an underling and as a "co-worker" and will step up his confrontations with Rhylee further.

Of course if it is just a tv show and they want these clowns along until something truly impossible or dangerous happens they will (as it seems) fire Caroline and then (my guess) make Ross Bosun.

Note, sorry for late postings, I record Tuesday and then watch over the weekend.  :)

• Love 5
15 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

Yes, Capt. Lee blowing his lid and making changes some people won't like....is still off in the future.

The teaser of someone going off the back is also still in the future. I’ve noticed that they aren’t promoting that as much as they did earlier in the season. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Mojitogirl said:

The teaser of someone going off the back is also still in the future. I’ve noticed that they aren’t promoting that as much as they did earlier in the season. 

Yeah that is crazy too, with teasers of Capt. Lee tearing up not shown now either....

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MajorNelson said:

Now...here's what I would like to see happen.  Fire Caroline, as she is unfit for this service and her delicate nature.  Offer Rhylee the chance to move to third stew as she is good with guests and has helped Kate when needed.  If possible, fire Chandler, move Ross up to Bosun and then just hire two deckhands as (my opinion) it would be easier to hire two male grunts than a semi-talented stew in a short timeframe.

I think this is a perfect solution. I mentioned previously that I didn't think it would be a bad idea to try Rhylee as stew. She seems eager to please with the guests; and I think she's sharp enough to catch on to things quickly. 

Ross could definitely handle being Bosun. He's been a bosun before. Fly in some other deckhands and call it a day. 

• Love 3

Not sure if this has been discussed. I don't understand why the primary didn't call earlier to let them know they had no water, towels , snacks etc. As soon as I got to the island I would have been like okay where are the bags. This is no excuse for the crew not doing their job. Curious how long the guests were on the island before they noticed they had no supplies. Agree it was negligence to not have a crew member from the yacht stay with the guests. 

• Love 3
On 11/19/2018 at 7:49 AM, Skycatcher said:

The crew packed the dry bags before the excursion.  The bags were on the deck of the tender, out in the open, not only easily seen but kind of hard not to trip over. What did they think they were there for, ballast?

I don't tweet but I can't resist....

#NOTthinking

They also packed snorkeling gear in the bags. I think when they found out that the excursion provided the snorkeling gear, they neglected to think about what else was in bags that might be convenient or needed. 

The guests did have at least one personal bag with them so they weren’t totally bereft, but it was poor execution on deck crew’s part. 

• Love 2
On 11/19/2018 at 10:04 AM, MajorNelson said:

NO WAY is Rhylee moving to interior! The only reason a fishing boat captain would take the deckhand job job is to improve her skill set. She’s been asking job questions since the very beginning and wants to learn how to run the boat.

Compare her to Caroline who wanted to meet cool people and see beautiful places. She’s never spoken of nor shown a desire to improve herself professionally.

The way I see it, Rhylee’s career path is 3rd deckhand to 2nd deckhand to 1st to bosun to Captain. 

• Love 5

I personally think that there is something troubling about Caroline. I hope she gets the help she needs from a professional. I gave her a pass initially because her foot looked genuinely swollen, but as time has gone on, she’s really shown that she’s unwell not just physically. I think Kate and Josiah were being very patient with her.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, lcarolynl said:

NO WAY is Rhylee moving to interior! The only reason a fishing boat captain would take the deckhand job job is to improve her skill set. She’s been asking job questions since the very beginning and wants to learn how to run the boat.

Compare her to Caroline who wanted to meet cool people and see beautiful places. She’s never spoken of nor shown a desire to improve herself professionally.

The way I see it, Rhylee’s career path is 3rd deckhand to 2nd deckhand to 1st to bosun to Captain. 

Yes, but I figure she might  realize this crew is way too dysfunctional for her to learn anything.  In fact, what does the deck crew do?  Squeegee things and put cushions on the lounge chairs.  Pathetic stuff for an ex-Alaskan Captain.  As a stew she could at least prove useful and see guest-handling up close, and learn what 5 star service entails.

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

Adrian really gets on my fucking nerves.  My dad died when I was a junior in high school, and I never once used that fact to trump someone else's unhappiness.

When did he do that? Carolin used her family problems as an excuse for her behavior/attitude and he simply said that everyone was going through stuff but they needed to not being it to work  and mentioned as an example his dad died a month ago.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

When did he do that? Carolin used her family problems as an excuse for her behavior/attitude and he simply said that everyone was going through stuff but they needed to not being it to work  and mentioned as an example his dad died a month ago.

I guess it just struck a nerve.  I've been hearing people pull out the "my parent just died" my whole life as a way to shut another person down.  A month after my dad died I was sitting in class in high school, and wouldn't have dreamed of using that to a classmate who was venting.  I guess it's just me.

• Love 4