Type keyword(s) to search

The Media Thread Emanation

17 hours ago, Tanichka said:

FB posters are saying that they will never, ever watch this show again.

I'm guessing they never read the messages Chuck Lorre posts at the end of most episodes.  He's made his politics pretty clear over the years.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I don't know about the other guys, but Sheldon shouldn't be "star-struck" by Gates, so much as insulting to.

I wonder if they will reference that Gates punched Sheldon in the face (from The Toast Derivation).

Wolowitz: Raj, did you ever tell your sister about the time Sheldon got punched by Bill Gates?
Priya: Oh, God, you're kidding.
Raj: No, Gates gave a speech at the university. Sheldon went up to him afterwards and said, "Maybe if you weren't so distracted by sick children in Africa you could have put a little more thought into Windows Vista."
Leonard: Bam, right in the nose. Made me proud to own a PC.

• Love 7

CBS doesn’t want ‘The Big Bang Theory’ to end with Season 12

There’s been some speculation that next season might be the last for the show. But with its ratings still among the best on TV, CBS doesn’t want to bring the show to an end just yet.

“As long as [executive producer] Chuck [Lorre] and his team, Steve [Holland, the showrunner] and those guys think they have stories to tell, we’ll take it for as long as they want,” CBS head of programming Thom Sherman told reporters Wednesday at a press conference unveiling the network’s 2018-19 schedule.

“We would certainly hope to get a few more years out of it,” adds CBS Entertainment president Kelly Kahl.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

I just saw that. I'm actually thinking the wedding of Amy and Sheldon would have been a good way to close out the series. 

I agree....I honestly think that this show is a couple of seasons past its end date, but yes...the Shamy wedding would have been a great series finale.

It still makes me laugh, but it is getting tired and the fact that some of the characters have had 0 character growth in years is a bad sign.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I just saw that. I'm actually thinking the wedding of Amy and Sheldon would have been a good way to close out the series.

To close out the series properly, they needed to do something with Raj. They didn't try because they already knew they had another season. Maybe they could have Howard give him his account at AnythingForAGreenCard.com and pair him up with someone who doesn't know enough English to know he's a jerk (like the deaf gold-digger didn't).

• Love 1

I think this past season was actually very good - and the finale was fantastic.  That said though I do agree that it's time to wind things down.  I know the powers that be just see $$ signs and of course as long as people tune in you can't really blame them for wanting to keep going.  I just wish though that Lorre or one or two of the stars would take their guidance from a few other well known sitcoms (Everybody Loves Raymond, Mary Tyler Moore just to name two) and bow out at the top of their game.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

To close out the series properly, they needed to do something with Raj. They didn't try because they already knew they had another season. Maybe they could have Howard give him his account at AnythingForAGreenCard.com and pair him up with someone who doesn't know enough English to know he's a jerk (like the deaf gold-digger didn't).

Raj can’t get someone a green card, though. He has one, he’s not a citizen. 

14 minutes ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Raj can’t get someone a green card, though. He has one, he’s not a citizen. 

He can get her a job, like Sheldon did for him. Or, he could get his citizenship first; he satisfied the residency requirement a long time ago. I'm sure they could build some humor around studying for the citizenship tests and  going to the oath ceremony, but they could just skip to the latter, saying that Raj didn't want anyone to know until it was certain.

I'd be happy to see this series continue indefinitely; the competition is giving them a pretty low bar to meet.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

He can get her a job, like Sheldon did for him.

Raj is highly educated, was already working in the country and  is an established scientist.  I somehow doubt there are many women on "anythingforagreencard.com" who would tick any of those boxes.  If they were they wouldn't need to be on "anythingforagreencard.com"!!

That is an excellent speech from Wil Wheaton.

I wish Anthony Bourdain had been able to say he was recovering from depression too.  His suicide has made me very sad.

• Love 4

‘The Big Bang Theory’: CBS In “Preliminary Discussions” To Renew Hit Comedy Series

But, as it wrapped its 11th season, Big Bang is not showing signs of slowing down, and during CBS’ TCA executive session this morning, entertainment president Kelly Kahl unveiled that Season 12 will likely won’t be the last.

“We don’t believe it’s the final season,” he said. “We are in preliminary discussions to renew he show with the studio that produces it, Warner Bros.”

While the talks are very early, I hear the network is open to multiple seasons if the studio can get the cast on board for that.

I'm really hoping they go to Season 13. Ever since Young Sheldon revealed that Sheldon and Amy have kids, I've really been wanting to see Sheldon as a parent. Even if it's just a few scenes towards the end of the final season. YS is great backstory but I really want to see what the future holds as well.

• Love 5

I'd like to see the show go on for a few more years - they haven't stopped being funny yet, at least for me.  There are a few episodes that I think are clunkers but the majority are still pretty fresh and good.

I've always thought a good way to end the show would be a time jumping montage with just a sentence or two of dialog in each little scene, it might be cliched but we've been watching these characters for so long it would be nice to have a full wrap up.    Do an ending with the gang in the present then show "One Year Later" and maybe Penny has a pregnancy test in her hand and says to Leonard "I have news!", then show "Two Years Later" and Amy walks out visibly pregnant and says "It's Time"  then "Three Years Later" Raj on one knee with a girl saying "Marry Me"  (hey he deserves a happy ending too!).  And ultra-cliched but fun - "Twenty Years Later" two young adults walk in a room, the boy calls Howard and Bernadette Mom and Dad, the girl calls Sheldon and Amy Mom & Dad then the girl holds out her hand with a big ring on it and says "We're engaged!".  

For now though it's at least good news that they seem to be willing to talk about one or two more years so hoping the story that discussions are open is true and works out - CBS isn't going to let it's cash cow go as long as the actors are willing but I imagine pay per episode is going to be the hardest part of the negotiations.

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 8

I thought last year was very strong and if they can keep that going I will certainly keep watching.  But, and that's a big BUT, I've reached the breaking point with the commercial to actual show ratio.  I tape the show now because I am fed up!  If they want to keep cashing in on the show I certainly can't blame them but I'll watch the show not the commercials!

• Love 1
15 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I've always thought a good way to end the show would be a time jumping montage with just a sentence or two of dialog in each little scene, it might be cliched but we've been watching these characters for so long it would be nice to have a full wrap up.    Do an ending with the gang in the present then show "One Year Later" and maybe Penny has a pregnancy test in her hand and says to Leonard "I have news!", then show "Two Years Later" and Amy walks out visibly pregnant and says "It's Time"  then "Three Years Later" Raj on one knee with a girl saying "Marry Me"  (hey he deserves a happy ending too!).  And ultra-cliched but fun - "Twenty Years Later" two young adults walk in a room, the boy calls Howard and Bernadette Mom and Dad, the girl calls Sheldon and Amy Mom & Dad then the girl holds out her hand with a big ring on it and says "We're engaged!".  

So the Scrubs (true) ending lol

• Love 1
1 hour ago, OtterMommy said:

I would much rather see it go out on a high note than see it just...fizzle out.

Absolutely!  Everybody Loves Raymond bowed out by choice at the end of their 9th season and they went out with excellent ratings.  I'd hate to see BBT go the way of so many other sitcoms that just didn't know when to quit!  I'm honestly trying to think of any show that went on past a 12th season and went out on a high note.  I'm sure there must be a few, but not many.

26 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

I'm honestly trying to think of any show that went on past a 12th season and went out on a high note. 

There aren't very many shows that are willing to change. TBBT is notable for having each season be one year for the characters and have things develop with the passage of time. In S1, who'd have thought Sheldon would eventually respect anything Penny had to say and be able to talk about his work with her?

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

There aren't very many shows that are willing to change. TBBT is notable for having each season be one year for the characters and have things develop with the passage of time. In S1, who'd have thought Sheldon would eventually respect anything Penny had to say and be able to talk about his work with her?

I agree with your point here and it's one thing I like about BBT (and a big thing a lot of people don't like if you go by the comments here over the years) but even with that I don't know if going on much longer makes sense.  Lots of shows have let their characters grow and change - obviously especially shows with kids in the cast - that doesn't mean the shows stayed good or got better at the years went on.  I do agree with CherryAmes that this last season was very strong but does that mean I want it to go on forever?  Nope!

On 8/6/2018 at 8:54 AM, sigmaforce86 said:

I'd like to see the show go on for a few more years - they haven't stopped being funny yet, at least for me.  There are a few episodes that I think are clunkers but the majority are still pretty fresh and good.

On 8/7/2018 at 2:50 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

I still find most episodes very funny too, and it amazes me what a great job they've done changing things up and keeping it fresh... including adding new characters, especially Bernadette and Amy who fit in perfectly.  There's been all kinds of change over the years - new relationships, new living arrangements, and even Sheldon, who I thought was completely asexual (and I originally thought I wanted him to stay that way,) having a physical relationship and marrying Amy in an incredibly touching ceremony. 

These same producers also surprised me with Young Sheldon which, when I first read of it, I thought it was going to be awful... but instead it is awesome.  So... if they want to do a few more seasons... I'm totally okay with that!

• Love 8

Parks and Rec did what Sigmaforce86 described—-3 years later, 10 years after that, and then jumping ahead chunks of years. That would be very satisfying here. 

Edited by HyeChaps
“would be” not “we be”
2 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Parks and Rec did what Sigmaforce86 described—-3 years later, 10 years after that, and then jumping ahead chunks of years. That we be very satisfying here. 

On August 6, 2018 at 7:54 AM, sigmaforce86 said:

I'd like to see this happen over the course of either the last season or maybe the last half of the last season—with one or more flashback scenes in an intro to an episode (flashing back to events that happened after the previous episode but before the current episode) and then the episode having a vignette from that time. This would no doubt generate volumes of fan fiction, and perhaps also eventually a show about the characters and/or their offspring in the future.

• Love 2
On 8/7/2018 at 12:05 AM, Zoe said:

So the Scrubs (true) ending lol

13 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Parks and Rec did what Sigmaforce86 described—-3 years later, 10 years after that, and then jumping ahead chunks of years. That would be very satisfying here. 

OK may have to hang my head in shame but admitting - I've never seen Scrubs or Parks and Rec, I've also never seen The Office and I always hear how good that show is supposed to be.  I did at least say it might be cliche because I figured other shows have probably done it already but didn't realize how many actually have done it - now I think maybe I need to go back during the slow summer TV season and check out these other shows, see if I've been missing anything good!

And I like Shapeshifters idea of if they did do it sprinkle it through the last season and tie it into the episode, that would be fun   (PS how do you "mention" someone?  Couldn't make my post do it for shapeshifter & couldn't find instructions)

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

(PS how do you "mention" someone?  Couldn't make my post do it for shapeshifter & couldn't find instructions)

You start with @, then start typing the name and a list will appear. When the name you want comes up in the list, click on it.

• Love 2

So I'm annoyed with the CBS All Access Pass.  It was implied that you get "all episodes, all seasons" of their shows to watch when you want.  While that is the case for many shows, its not for TBBT.  I had watched some episodes at the beginning of the season, then life got in the way and I missed a whole bunch.  I figured I'd catch up over the summer, but when I went to do so, only a few episodes of the current season were available, certainly not the whole season (let alone any prior seasons).    Queries to CBS went nowhere, they just said that they provided the last 5 episodes of this show.  So I'll have to wait for the DVDs to be released to Netflix and watch it there.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:57 AM, Hanahope said:

So I'll have to wait for the DVDs to be released to Netflix and watch it there.

See if your local library will get it. You just reminded me to go put it on hold, so thanks! And now I'm 96th on 15 ordered copies. I live close to another library and they don't put their on order items up as quickly so I'll keep an eye on it there to see if I can get higher on their list. I'm glad I live near such good libraries, so see if you do too.

• Love 1

I'm not surprised.  There was a lot of talk about it ending after this season, then CBS said they were trying to keep it going.  I remember right after it was renewed for like 3 seasons at once (I think that took it through season 10 or 11) and someone asked Jim Parsons if it get a renewal beyond that and he said something along the lines of "it will be without me."

3 hours ago, Zoe said:

Also keep an eye on TBS, they're about to hit season 9 in their reruns.  They may not start showing 11 until the next time around though.

If you get TV38 in Boston, they do multiple run-throughs simultaneously at different times of the week. Currently, they're in seasons 2 and 8 on weekdays and 9 on the weekend.

30 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I remember right after it was renewed for like 3 seasons at once (I think that took it through season 10 or 11) and someone asked Jim Parsons if it get a renewal beyond that and he said something along the lines of "it will be without me."

They're juggling enough characters now that I probably wouldn't miss him, especially if Young Sheldon was still running afterwards. Maybe they'd have room to give Raj a decent story line and do something with Stuart.

It's time. It's been time. I still enjoy the show, not as much as the early seasons and not as often, but I'm not against them pulling the plug at all. I hope they use this last season to wind things up in a sensible, enjoyable way and not bring in useless new characters (a partner for Raj being the exception) or lame storylines. We can only hope.

• Love 2

I'm ready for the show to end but the last two years, and last year especially,  were very good.  Maybe not the same as the early years but it would have been hard for them to do that.  They hit a good groove and I liked most of the shows and loved a few of them (the wedding - adored the wedding - hit all the right notes).  BBT can still put a smile on my face, even laugh out loud, but I want it to go out on a high.  If this year can match last year I'll be happy.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 9

Almost All shows that go on for a long time have rough patches.  On twitter there are the usual band of haters who hate for the sake of hating and those who find reasons to be offended.  Personally I found this show funny for the most part.  The only time I didn’t was when the show “dumbed down” Penny for the sake of comedy.  She was never as smart as the rest but was hardly an idiot either.  I loved the episodes where she was able to remember tidbits of tv shows Leonard liked or science stuff and it kinda freaked her out.  

The show had its week spots.  It never did figure out what to do with Raj and adding Stewart just made it more obvious how little Raj had in common with the rest of the group.   He was actually a better character before he started speaking if that makes any sense.  

Also I always thought Penny and Sheldon had some of the best chemistry on the show even from the beginning.  It was odd how their chemistry worked and I really enjoyed how their friendship developed over the years.  

Like all shows this had its issues and rough spots but it was a fun show overall.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

The only time I didn’t was when the show “dumbed down” Penny for the sake of comedy.  She was never as smart as the rest but was hardly an idiot either.  I loved the episodes where she was able to remember tidbits of tv shows Leonard liked or science stuff and it kinda freaked her out.

The writers sometimes confused not being educated with not being smart, and I was happy to see when they totally got it right. One of my favorite episodes is from this past season, when they flipped the script and had Sheldon talking shop with Penny while Leonard was off doing something a "dumbed down" Penny might.

I agree that it's time.  While the last couple of seasons have been good, despite a few rough patches, it's better to go out when it's still good, and not go on forever recycling the same plotlines over and over again.   *looks askance at The Simpsons*

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

While the last couple of seasons have been good, despite a few rough patches, it's better to go out when it's still good, and not go on forever recycling the same plotlines over and over again.

In many cases they can't, because the current characters aren't the same as they used to be, and they've opened doors to new plot-lines. You know that Sheldon & Amy will be different parents than Howie & Bernie, and Leonard & Penny different from them. I'm sure a lot of inspiration can be found in classic sitcoms with married couples.  I don't think we've seen anybody throw an anniversary party yet.

I was surprised to read an article (not just a Reddit post) basically saying the show was terrible and that the end was way overdue. But even though the last 2 seasons have been generally good, the couple of seasons before that were definitely not the best—probably a lot of viewers left then and didn't come back, and now they feel entitled to throw virtual rotten tomatoes.

13 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Personally I found this show funny for the most part.  The only time I didn’t was when the show “dumbed down” Penny for the sake of comedy.  She was never as smart as the rest but was hardly an idiot either.  I loved the episodes where she was able to remember tidbits of tv shows Leonard liked or science stuff and it kinda freaked her out.  

I actually liked it when they kept Penny "dumb".  Compared to the rest of the characters, it was a refreshing change.  It helped set her apart.  Her strengths were elsewhere.  She had social intelligence instead of the "book learning".  When she remembered bits of sci fi shows, it was funny because she was from such a different world as the rest of them.

Just a few good dumb Penny moments off the top of my head:

Here amazement over Professor Proton's experiments, and asking if the potato running the clock could be used to solve the world's energy crisis, or to run his pacemaker.

When she told the physicist joke at the apartment of the new pretty girl who had moved in upstairs.  Leonard said "Isn't that kind of offensive?" and she said "I don't know, I'm not even sure I understand it".

• Love 2
9 hours ago, rmontro said:

Just a few good dumb Penny moments off the top of my head:

Here amazement over Professor Proton's experiments, and asking if the potato running the clock could be used to solve the world's energy crisis, or to run his pacemaker.

When she told the physicist joke at the apartment of the new pretty girl who had moved in upstairs.  Leonard said "Isn't that kind of offensive?" and she said "I don't know, I'm not even sure I understand it"

I suspect an underlying reason for many resenting the Dumb Penny moments is because there are also Smart Penny moments, and that inconsistency just annoys the crap out of a lot of viewers.

• Love 2