Type keyword(s) to search

The Media Thread Emanation

Whoa that is crazy.  People who worry about "the children" when it's their own twisted thoughts that are the problem.  Having said that, I could do with fewer male anatomy jokes. They're mostly not funny anymore. I found the episode referenced about Howard getting stuck in the mechanical hand funny because of the Winnie the Pooh in the honey tree comparison. 

The lady who complained about a commercial on TBBT that mentioned her aunt's names and alleges somehow TBBT got her aunt's names?  Wowsers. 

And read Lorre's vanity cards at your peril.  I can only imagine the complaints Lorre's other show 2 1/2 Men got,

• Love 1

Those were all pretty funny, but I have to admit I often cringe at the jokes, knowing that my niblings watch.  Not only because of the crude nature of much of the humor, but also the misogynistic tone.  I don't want my nephews to think that's how you treat women.

The Big Bang Theory: Laura Spencer Promoted to Series Regular

The Big Bang Theory has promoted Laura Spencer — AKA Emily, lovelorn Koothrappali’s most serious girlfriend to date — to a series regular, TVLine has confirmed.

According to a Big Bang source, Spencer will be a fractional series regular in sitcom’s current ninth season. The status tweak guarantees the actress’ availability on an as-needed basis (i.e. she will not be in every episode). 
Spencer has recurred on the CBS juggernaut since joining the show in Season 7.

This is wonderful, and I'm hoping some of them went to women -- the only two women in the picture of this article are two actresses in the series -- all the students pictured are men:

There was an episode commenting on the under-representation of women in the sciences - still very much true (unless it's something like biology or biomedical engineering).

Seems like Warner Bros made a good faith effort to get permission.

No, they didn't. They got permission from the book publisher who is not the music publisher. In the article, it claims that the book clearly denotes who owns the copyright for the song.  A basic copyright lawyer should have been able to figure that one out.

Plus, since the co-creator of "The Big Bang Theory" went on to register the song with ASCAP and lists a musical publishing house, they clearly know the difference (if you do an ACE title search for the song, it's crediting Bill Prady as the sole creator of the song and Warner Olive Music as the administrator/publisher. You actually have to register with ASCAP (they don't make up this stuff on their own  - they are one of the major composer rights organizations that you can join who will monitor for performances of songs registered with them and make sure you get paid)).  Why register it when they didn't write it and they know they didn't write it?

As producers of copyright material, they should also know that there is a difference between getting performance rights to a song and reproducing it on merchandise.

It seems like somebody found a song they liked and half-assed getting permission to use it. Somehow, the show became convinced they wrote the song themselves and proceeded merrily along. 

Even if it was good-faith effort, they didn't get the correct permissions and they will have to pay. How much they have to pay is the only thing up for debate.

• Love 1

At least in the show, Sheldon did not claim that his family made up the song, just that they sang it to him. Same with "rock paper scissors lizard Spock," which some viewers think the show made up but they didn't -- Sheldon did not say he made it up.

At least in the show, Sheldon did not claim that his family made up the song, just that they sang it to him.

One of the issues though is that have never credited the original writer in the credits and some of the official TBBT Soft Kitty merchandise credits Bill Prader (co-producer of TBBT) with being the writer of "Soft Kitty".  

Here is the lawsuit.

• Love 1

I remember seeing an interview somewhere in which one of the show's producers or writers said that "Soft Kitty" was actually sung in his child's preschool, and they took it from there to use on the show.  Which means somebody had to know it wasn't original.  Does anybody else remember that?

• Love 1

The copyright  of  "Warm Kitty" would have expired in 1965 if it wasn't renewed, so I think that's what happened. Otherwise, the claim wouldn't be trying to piggyback on the music company renewing their own copyright. But, the Copyright Act of 1909 makes it clear that the two copyrights are separate entities and what happens with a collection doesn't affect the original work contained therein. The new copyright law doesn't apply to anything that had already expired before 1978.

BTW, from what I've been able to google, the tune was already in the public domain when "Warm Kitty" was written, so it's just the lyrics at issue (which the show's writers rearranged).

I'm so excited for Meemaw.  I've never heard of the actress but visually I think she looks fantastic. As much as I adore Mrs. Cooper, I think it would be really entertaining for Meemaw to be her polar opposite - a little fireball who loves slot machines, whiskey, bedazzled clothes, and her Moonpie.  

• Love 1

I've seen her on a few things - she's one of those actresses who guests on a lot of shows. She's been on House, ER, Judging Amy, etc. I think the last thing I've seen her do was a guest spot on Glee. She's good at being funny and poignant, so I think she'll do a good job here.

I'm so excited for Meemaw.  I've never heard of the actress but visually I think she looks fantastic. As much as I adore Mrs. Cooper, I think it would be really entertaining for Meemaw to be her polar opposite - a little fireball who loves slot machines, whiskey, bedazzled clothes, and her Moonpie.  

Kind of like on Roseanne.  Rosanne's mother vs grandmother.

• Love 1

I only know her from her role as the mother of Susan Lucci's character on Devious Maids.  I disliked the character on that show, but that wasn't really the fault of the actress.   I think she's probably a good choice to play MeeMaw.

Kind of like on Roseanne.  Rosanne's mother vs grandmother.

I hope they don't go there.  It's bad enough they keep ripping off plot points from Friends, I really hope they don't start ripping off Roseanne too!

• Love 1

I'm very allergic to cats, but as long as I take my Allergy Meds at least an hour before I have to be around them, I'm fine. My friend on the other hand, there is no amount of medication that can save her from the misery that is her allergy to cats. She can't be around one. Period. Meds or no Meds.

• Love 1

Lenard's getting a DAD and it's Judd Hirsch.

From Entertainment Weekly:

Leonard’s father is finally coming to town on The Big Bang Theory!

It was announced at Wednesday’s PaleyFest panel that Judd Hirsch has been tapped to play Leonard’s dad, who is a stark contrast to Leonard’s mom, Dr. Beverly Hofstadter (Christine Baranski).

“We talked about Leonard’s father being a very different kind of character than his mother,” executive producer Chuck Lorre told EW ahead of the panel. “When you look at Leonard and his mother, and how different Leonard is, well the other piece of the equation is his dad, so you can imagine the space that character has to occupy and who he’d have to be to get a Leonard out of the equation.” 

Added EP Steve Molaro: “I can tell you that the dynamic with his ex-wife is challenging.”

• Love 5

I love the idea of Judd Hirsch but I really hope they aren't going to have another Alan Harper character in the Lorre universe.  Overbearing wife and henpecked husband - how original.  Still perhaps they will go a different way this time, after all Leonard's father is supposed be a respected anthropologist and he was the one who cheated on his wife in the first place so I'll reserve judgement :).

• Love 2

Hey, maybe instead of an Alan Harper character who is henpecked and had all the life beat out of him by his shrew of a wife?

Maybe we'll get a CHARLIE Harper character who hits on every woman in site. Including his daughter in law, Amy (who would LOVE that) and even Pregnant Bernie?

If we know Lorrie (and we KNOW Lorrie, look how he effed up MeeMaw), that's the direction we'll get. A Charlie Harper character who hits on/sleeps with every skirt in town. You watch....

• Love 2

Hnygrl, I wish we could believe those things won't happen, but alas, this show does come from the same sewage pipe as 2.5 Men, so we can just be pleasantly surprised at the good parts. I have never quite been able to "put my weight down" on this show. As the writers use up all the "good" story lines they can think of, anything can happen. I just hope that the last couple of seasons don't have episodes so disgusting that we find it difficult to watch earlier ones.

Much as I love Judd Hirsh I don't get what they're saying about Leonard's parents.  In a recent episode they talked about Beverly's 60th birthday but Judd Hirsh is 81 years old.  That is a pretty big age difference going on here.  I get that they never talked about it because it's not something they ever actually planned before but it just makes no sense.  I hope at the very least they will say something in the episode he's in to try and explain it.

• Love 1

I love the idea of Judd Hirsch but I really hope they aren't going to have another Alan Harper character in the Lorre universe. Overbearing wife and henpecked husband - how original. Still perhaps they will go a different way this time, after all Leonard's father is supposed be a respected anthropologist and he was the one who cheated on his wife in the first place so I'll reserve judgement :).

They've already indicated that Leonard's father is a sad sack -- Leonard had recounted the story of when he built a hugging machine and caught his father using it.

As for the age difference, they've never indicated Leonard's father's age.

If they hadn't,  just a few episodes ago, said Beverly was 60 Judd Hirsh being 80 wouldn't be an issue.  As it is while I agree it's just stupid to imagine that Beverly was popping out babies in her early 20s with a husband who would have been in his 40s I can also see that the powers that be just don't care about that kind of thing and aren't going to lose any sleep over it.

Good point!  He looks pretty damn awesome for an 80 yr old so I suspect they won't address the age at all and let us assume he's closer to 60 than not.  Especially as so far they've never mentioned the possibility that he was retired - and wasn't all that long ago that he left Beverly for a waitress "a waitress" (said in Beverly's inimitable snotty way) he met at the university cafeteria. Hmm, wonder if she will be introduced as well.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 2

Actually, I can see Leonard's Mom as a youngish student getting involved with a somewhat older Prof or something like that.  That was very common back in the day (And it still goes on, of course, although now it is frowned upon- back in the 60s/70s when things were more freewheeling it wasn't, particularly).  I can see that more than I can see her getting involved with a student of a similar age.  And it would explain why he was attracted to her.

• Love 4

Actually, I can see Leonard's Mom as a youngish student getting involved with a somewhat older Prof or something like that.  That was very common back in the day (And it still goes on, of course, although now it is frowned upon- back in the 60s/70s when things were more freewheeling it wasn't, particularly).  I can see that more than I can see her getting involved with a student of a similar age.  And it would explain why he was attracted to her.

Exactly! A 10 or 20 year age difference used to be a pretty normal thing for upper class marriages.