Type keyword(s) to search

The Media Thread Emanation

If each of the "big three" really want a million per episode, I don't see this show going another three seasons.  Actually, I see us never learning where Sheldon went off to last season because, ratings juggernaut or not, $3 million per episode plus salaries for the rest of the cast and crew and then all the other production costs = insanely expensive.  Since KN makes "only" <cough> 75k per episode, it makes them look really greedy too. :(   I know that the networks make big money on these programs, but the salaries these actors earn (in general, not just TBBT) are obscene to me.

• Love 1

For seasons 7 & 8 the entire cast of "Friends" made 750k per episode and for the last 2 seasons they made a Million per episode, so it is not unprecedented for a sitcom cast to make that much. I agree if that start paying them that much the show could quickly become too expensive to produce.

I have to disagree with the previous posters. A multi-cam sitcom in its 8th year is never "too expensive to produce." At this point, it's only how much money is coming in. Costs outside of the cast... hm. Maybe an extra swing set or two? Shooting at night on the outdoor street set?

Think of Seinfeld- that show shot in various apartments, Yankee Stadium, Elaine's workplace, street sets, had a much larger supporting cast, more talking parts ... That show was probably expensive to make (since some of the portions were single cam production due to the varying sets), and is probably one of the most profitable TV shows ever.

TBBT is making HUGE money between its high ratings for CBS, plus syndication, plus whatever you call the ridiculousness of running 2-4 hours on TBS.  I'm sorry- CBS, Warner Bros., Chuck Lorre and the producers are reaping it. So should the cast - I don't care how rich they get, or if you think a million per episode is too much.  $22-24 million a year each for the three main characters? Approximately 8-9 months of the year? No brainer. Done deal.

• Love 1

Yeah, "too expensive to produce" was wrong phrase to use, maybe less favorable profitability ratio? The more money going out in salaries means more money has to come in or less money is earned. I agree that TBBT is huge so right now it makes sense to pay them, but who knows  whats going to happen in the next few years that could change that. Look at the US version of "The Office", that show nose dived after Carrell left.

(edited)

Big Bang Theory Production Officially Postponed, as Actors Await New Deals

http://tvline.com/2014/07/30/the-big-bang-theory-season-8-postponed-production/

As reasonably anticipated yet still worth reporting, production on Season 8 of The Big Bang Theory has been officially postponed, as the five leads wait to hammer out new contracts.

“Due to ongoing contract negotiations, production on The Big Bang Theory — which was originally scheduled to begin today — has been postponed,” reads a statement from Warner Bros. TV, which produces TV’s most watched, highest rated comedy.

Production has been pushed back one day for now, with the situation to be reassessed on a day-to-day basis.

Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting reportedly are aiming to increase their per-episode salary from north of $300,000 (plus a quarter-of-a-point on the back end) to possibly a cool million, while Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar (currently fetching $125 and $75K per episode, respectively) also are seeking sizable raises.

Later-season additions Melissa Rauch and Mayim Bialik are on different contract cycles, and thus do have deals for the coming season.

CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler said this month the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour that she is “very confident” new deals will be struck in time to deliver the hour-long Sept. 22 premiere on time, which means negotiations theoretically could extend as late as Labor Day weekend.

Edited by Artsda

Yes I am suprised Simon and Kunal make so much less than the others.  I thought they would be much closer in their salaries.  I guess Kaley and John Galecki has TV experience and exposure before the series, but Jim Parsons did not.  He is more of the star though of the show, even though I like all the characters. 

Really though they are all being underpaid considering what a hit show this is for CBS.  Didn't Seinfeld or the whole cast, plus the Friends cast, get $1million per episode 10-15 years ago?  Pretty sure Ashton Kutcher as well, for a current show, by the same producer, also makes $1million an episode or more.  For them to be making 300K seems like a gross underpayment.  My guess is this negotiation will go down to the very last minute. 

CBS doesn't really have the option of doing episodes without those 3 or replacing them.  They also would take a huge risk by delaying the new season.  The trio have the upper hand I think. 

(edited)

I'd agree that Kaley and Jim are indispensable, but I'm not sure I'd miss John, not that the producers/CBS would ever take a risk like that.

I sure would miss Johnny Galecki, on the other hand I barely missed Penny when Kaley missed an ep because of her leg. But they wouldn't fire any of them. Just look at how far Charlie Sheen could go before there were consequences. CBS is cheap but they won't mess with their cash cow.

Simon and Kunal definitely should make the same amount. Honestly, they shouldn't make so much less than Jim/Johnny/Kaley.

Edited by KatWay

Well, more power to anybody who can get a raise these days, but I can't seem to muster up any sympathy for actors/actresses or high paid athletes when it comes to contract negotiations.  These people make more in a month than what my spouse & I make in a year.  Hopefully they'll get the negotiations done so that it doesn't affect the show.

I sure would miss Johnny Galecki, on the other hand I barely missed Penny when Kaley missed an ep because of her leg. But they wouldn't fire any of them. Just look at how far Charlie Sheen could go before there were consequences. CBS is cheap but they won't mess with their cash cow.

Simon and Kunal definitely should make the same amount. Honestly, they shouldn't make so much less than Jim/Johnny/Kaley.

I agree. I think Penny is the most disposable character (and Kaley the most disposable actor). They could have Penny move away for her acting career, bring in a new female neighbour and within a few episodes I'd probably forget all about Penny.

Simon and Kunal should definitely be making as much as Jim, Johnny and Kaley. They are both very talented and I do think of this as an ensemble show (although the past few seasons Sheldon/Jim has seemed like more of the star). However, I think $1 million dollar for any television star is pretty ridiculous. I'm sure they all work very hard, but they have a great job (which they got very lucky with) and I think asking for $1 million is way too much.

However, I think $1 million dollar for any television star is pretty ridiculous. I'm sure they all work very hard, but they have a great job (which they got very lucky with) and I think asking for $1 million is way too much.

Agreed. And to me personally it doesn't even seem like a difficult job. They shoot only 22-24 episodes a year. They don't have many lines to memorize. They aren't hounded by paparazzi 24/7 like A-list movie stars. Why is a few days' work worth $1, I'll never understand. (Same goes for movie actors and especially athletes. Then again, I naively dream of a future where scientists and teachers are the ones who make the big bucks.)

“Big Bang,” from the prolific Chuck Lorre Prods., is projected to gross more than $1 billion in syndication sales for the studio, thanks to mammoth first-cycle deals with TV stations and cabler TBS and strong advertising sales.

As I said earlier, $20+mil a year for the actors who you want to see play their characters on TV, is not much when TPTB will make a billion. It's all proportional.

Speaking of proportional, we really only hear "TBBT cast holding out" but the article link above also notes:

But the negotiations have been complicated by the fact that Parsons’ team is said to be angling for a bigger payday than Cuoco and Galecki, while those two are insisting on parity with Parsons. Helberg and Nayyar are said to be unsatisfied with offers that are lower than those for the other three.

Sounds like they're not all on the same page.

PS: not sure if this helps, but in the "you get paid what your bosses think you're worth" category:  Judge Judy Sheindlin gets paid $47 million per year "to sassily chastise those locked in petty disputes on the daytime show that bears her name."

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 2

Sounds like they're not all on the same page.

Sadly, this is the kind of thing that can doom a show.  If the actors come across as too greedy, they might lose fans.  If TPTB play hardball and don't negotiate, then the show could lose some of the actors, and subsequently their fan base.  I hope this isn't the unraveling of this show.

• Love 1

But the negotiations have been complicated by the fact that Parsons’ team is said to be angling for a bigger payday than Cuoco and Galecki, while those two are insisting on parity with Parsons. Helberg and Nayyar are said to be unsatisfied with offers that are lower than those for the other three.

Interesting. I don't know exactly where I stand on this, but to me it doesn't seem like a Friends-type situation, where 6 characters are almost equally beloved and necessary to the core dynamic of the show. For example, TBBT without Parsons isn't the same show, but if Nayyar were lifted out or severely restricted this season, I wouldn't care all that much.

If it's true that Parsons' team is asking for more money than Cuoco/Galecki, that is very disappointing to me because while Sheldon is the breakout character of the show, it's still not "Sheldon & friends", it's still an ensemble show. Parsons may get a bit more screentime than Howard/Raj, but it's not so much more that you could say he deserves to be paid more because he works more as well. If Tatiana Maslany gets more money than everyone else on Orphan Black, that's totally fine because girl works hard. She's in basically every single scene, playing seven different characters to boot. That is not the case for Sheldon on TBBT.

If they are willing to give him, Cuoco and Galecki a million dollars per episode that is an incredible amount of money and if Parsons' team is holding out because they just want to make more than those two, that just seems really greedy IMO.

• Love 1

For example, TBBT without Parsons isn't the same show, but if Nayyar were lifted out or severely restricted this season, I wouldn't care all that much.

Absolutely agree.  I think the 3 main characters are irreplaceable  - particularly Sheldon.  The peripheral characters while important to the show don't make or break it as far as I'm concerned.  If they had Howard and Bernadette leave, which would make sense in terms of character development - lots of situations I can think of would make sense in terms of having a married couple limit their interaction with their still single friends - or if Raj left for greener pastures at another university I think the show would be able to carry on just fine. 

That doesn't mean I think the secondary players don't deserve to be well compensated but it does explain why their paycheques aren't in the same league as the 3 core players.

• Love 3

They signed a deal.

Report: Big Bang Stars Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco Ink New $90 Million Deals 

Warner Bros. has shown Big Bang Theory stars Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco the money.

After protracted negotiations that pushed back the show’s Season 8 start date until Wednesday, the trio have agreed to new three-year contracts worth $1 million an episode, per Deadline. When all the perks are factored in — including signing bonuses and back-end fees — the actors will likely pocket north of $90 million over the three years.

With Parsons, Galecki and Cuoco on board, and co-stars Melissa Rauch and Mayim Bialik already signed, all eyes turn to Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar. The pair remain in active talks are are expected to close new pacts today or, at the latest, tomorrow.

And to me personally it doesn't even seem like a difficult job. They shoot only 22-24 episodes a year. They don't have many lines to memorize.

I think you're underestimating the difficulty of the non-verbal part of the job - moving and reacting appropriately and being able to repeat exactly what you did for a re-shoot. IMHO, Kaley and Jim really stand out in this respect.

I'm just sad that Sheldon is being forced into change he neither wants nor understands. Why would they think that would be pleasant to watch? Or worse, FUNNY?

Written properly, Sheldon dealing with change, including trying his hand at unfamiliar things, can be funny. Unfortunately, it has been hit and miss, mostly miss lately.

As far as string theory,  I spoke to a physicist recently and apparently there's been some doubts/rethinking in this area.  Maybe the show is following that trend.

I am amazed that there has yet to be any mention of branes on this show. Even Eureka managed to work in a p-brane joke.

I don't have any problem with the money the actors/actresses make.  They are at the very top of a difficult to succeed in profession.  The chances of ever having another show and payday like this are next to zero even for those as talented as they are.  I know Kaley and John have been on other sitcoms, but they did not make nearly this type of money.  The studio is projected to make $1BILLION (said in my best Dr. Evil voice) or more from the deal, no reason they should not profit from the show since they are one of the primary reasons for its success. 

Plus reading the article, its not all about money.  They also include chances to produce and do other projects for the network in the contracts. 

• Love 3

Wow, good for them. A little bit indecent given the work that it is but a drop in the ocean of money that CBS makes with the show. So yeah, good for them. A little bit disappointed that the 5 of them are not a team when it come to negotiating... 

I assume they make good pocket money with the percentage they get from all the official products directly made with their image. Parsons especially, given the number of t-shirts, action figures, mug, posters with Sheldon on it. 

I assume they make good pocket money with the percentage they get from all the official products directly made with their image. Parsons especially, given the number of t-shirts, action figures, mug, posters with Sheldon on it.

They all will now for sure, but they likely just had standard contracts to start and I bet they didn't get squat from merchandizing before.

I would hope that they would also start to get some of the syndication money--IIRC the show didn't really take off until it started appearing in reruns on TBS, so I doubt the actors were getting any of it. On some nights here in Maine for about a year you could watch BBT reruns on three different channels, so CBS did rather well on these deals.

Edited by Oldernowiser

I think you're underestimating the difficulty of the non-verbal part of the job - moving and reacting appropriately and being able to repeat exactly what you did for a re-shoot. IMHO, Kaley and Jim really stand out in this respect.

It's still not exactly brain surgery or rocket science.

All the leads do a great job, and I like watching the show. But $1 million per episode is still off-the-charts psychotic compensation considering that the job is reciting lines written by others and remembering how to react and move appropriately.

I agree that the quality of the show isn't as good as it was in the past. It seems like quite a gamble for the studio to offer this much.

Are their deals based on the studio estimating they'll make upwards of $1billion in the future? Is that based on the syndication deals or the current episodes that they will air?

I have no problem with what they'll make. Sure it's major money, but if you can squeeze that out of your employer, more power to them!! Reminds me to ask for a better raise when it comes time for performance reviews at work!

I agree with those who said that given how much the show makes now, and is making for the producers in future syndication, this is a fair deal.  It is not about the amount of time spent learning and then acting those lines each week; but about the franchise that would not exist without them doing it.  This is their chance at a major payday; lightning may strike again in a new series, but we see how rare it is to have more than one truly lucrative role. 

Many major actors get no piece of syndication after the first round of syndication -- I learned this a few years ago.  So, perhaps they now will get a piece of this season onward, but it is always the *producers* and creator who make the money in syndication.  That is the big advantage of having yourself listed as a producer.  Happy to be corrected on the details of all this, but the actors are definitely twigs in the money tree of syndication. 

ETA:  Could not agree more about the disappointing quality of last season; and I happily watch rerun after rerun of the seasons before that.  But it is not the fault of the actors!  Wish they had taken $950K/episode and insisted on fresh writers with all the money they saved the production! 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

It's still not exactly brain surgery or rocket science.

All the leads do a great job, and I like watching the show. But $1 million per episode is still off-the-charts psychotic compensation considering that the job is reciting lines written by others and remembering how to react and move appropriately.

I totally agree. In my last post I said they worked really hard, but I forgot that a lot of the hours that they're on set are spent waiting or in their trailers. I don't think any sitcom actor should be paid this much money. Also, I know it's the luck of the draw and all, but if actors are going to be paid this much money I find it weird that mediocre actors like Kaley are getting it and not super talented ones. It boggles my mind that she is going to be paid more than Kunal, Simon, Melissa and Mayim (who is amazing and consistently makes me laugh the most).

Sadly, it just may be the demise of the show. The last three seasons have gotten progressively worse in my opinion. It's become just another comedic relationship show with the usual suspects and I can see that anywhere. I miss the science. I miss the geeky nerdiness that I came to adore about this show. I also am one of those who used to watch this show religiously and got all my friends hooked on it.

But lately? Meh. Not so much. And these very public and very controversial contract disputes are causing me to think "Ya know? I couldn't care less if this show ever came back on the air." it really stank up the television last season. The only thing I've liked is the character development for Raj and Howard (ironically enough). The rest? There are no words for how bad this last season was with those three. I just don't care if Penny and Lenny ever make it. It pisses me off that Penny abandoned her "dream" to do nothing but sponge off her friends, and I'm just sad that Sheldon is being forced into change he neither wants nor understands. Why would they think that would be pleasant to watch? Or worse, FUNNY? I don't know, for me? I didn't care for that at all. It broke my heart to see him being forced to change. 

It's one thing if he realizes on his own that change is needed, but that's not what happened. He lost his home (Penny's moving in and he's being evicted basically. From his own home. He lost his job (He can't see the need for string theory and that's what they hired him to do), His momma's got a boyfriend (and a new series, so bye-bye Mrs.C), poor bastard has no place to go now.

I completely agree with this. It's interesting to note that the ratings have gone up with each season. I really think this is reflective of the fact that the show is getting to be more of a generic sitcom that appeals to a broader audience, with characters that happened to be physicists, rather than what the premise originally was. Although I was sort of disappointed with the show in the beginning too, only because I thought the premise was going to be about fighting all the stereotypes about nerds and making them more relatable for people. I think they've become more relatable, but the show makes a lot of jokes based on negative stereotypes and cheap humour. This has gotten progressively worse though and frankly, a lot of the humour is pretty weak and played for cheap laughs (like the constant jokes about Penny's alcoholism).

I don't know if I should take this to the Penny thread or not, but I also completely agree about Leonard and Penny. I get that they're set up to be this star-crossed, Rachel/Ross couple, but I don't care. At all. They could be a great case of opposites attract, but they're not. If they were as Stuart had described (complimenting each other's strengths and weaknesses) they would be interesting, but they're just not written like that. With the way they're written they basically have nothing to talk about and I don't even see why they would like each other. To me, they don't have any chemistry together. They constantly bring out each other's weaknesses and insecurities. It's also pretty gross the way Penny pretty much gets to do whatever she wants because she's "out of Leonard's league" and everyone just accepts this. Meanwhile, Penny settles for Leonard because he's a "nice guy" and better than the other guys she's dated. How is that a healthy relationship? I also don't like the message that what all nerds really want is just a pretty blonde girlfriend. I wish this show had been able to do more than that. 

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 2

Another consideration is that for most of these actors, they will forever be associated with their BBT characters from here on out. It happened with "Friends"---none of them has really done much since the show's end in part, I believe, because we can't stop seeing "Rachel" or "Monica" when we see them in other roles.

I know Jim Parsons has done some live theatre during the show's hiatus, and maybe Kunal, Mayim, and Melissa won't be quite as completely identified with their BBT characters, but it's a funny thing how a really successful show like this can be both a career maker and a career ender that way. So their current salaries may be their one chance to really stash away money for the rest of their careers.

Well, regardless of any reasons, I think there is something wrong in the world when someone who plays a scientist on TV makes soooo much more than an actual scientist.

And I have a lot of respect for actors.

• Love 3

If an actual scientist could create something with a billion-dollar payout, she would be totally welcome to taking a 10% or so piece of the profits.

I look at it this way -- the differential (between $250K and $1 million per episode) will either go to Chuck Lorre or to the actors who make the payout possible.  Who should be getting that difference?  Chuck laughs all the way to the bank either way.  We are the ones creating the income by watching on many channels and streaming it!  Someone has to rake it in. 

It is not like the actors are asking the world to print money for them.  What they do earns big bucks because we enable them to do so. 

• Love 2

I agree about Leonard and Penny not being a great couple.  I have never found them that believable no matter how many times Penny tells Leonard or the writers tell us.  I still view them as Penny settled for Leonard because he is a nice guy and Leonard is into her because she is hot. 

In regard to the "persona" and if they can ever do anything else, it is hard, but some actors/actresses can overcome it.  Courtney Cox has been fairly successful on Cougar Town.  Chris Pratt has been on Parks and Rec several years and now is becoming a big movie star. "ross" has moved onto voice roles in madagascar.  Jennifer Anniston has had other roles in movies.  Michael J fox went from TV as Alex P Keaton to the Back to the Future series.  Its not easy, but that is more of a function, as mentioned, of luck and finding the right vehicle.  Even for good and well known actors and actresses, finding a hit TV show that lasts for 5 years or more is just tough, a whole lot of things have to come together for it to happen.  For all that to come together twice for the same person, its hard to do no matter the talent

As for actors/actresses making more than their real life counterpart, its the world we live in, its supply and demand.  And yes there is some luck involved, its not all about talent.  Its talent, timing, luck, persona, numerous factors.  Same can be said for authors, athletes, the very top of the entertainment field.  Talent only gets you so far. 

You know surprisingly, 3 of the 4 main characters from Married with Children have done pretty well after the show.  Ed with Modern Family.  Katey Segal on Sons of Anarchy, plus with Kaley on 8 Simple rules, and Futurama she did the voice of Leela.  Then Christina Applegate with Anchorman and various movies has done OK.  Never would have guessed that from the show. 

• Love 1
I don't think any sitcom actor should be paid this much money. Also, I know it's the luck of the draw and all, but if actors are going to be paid this much money I find it weird that mediocre actors like Kaley are getting it and not super talented ones. It boggles my mind that she is going to be paid more than Kunal, Simon, Melissa and Mayim (who is amazing and consistently makes me laugh the most).

It does seem unfair that people could be paid this much when many people work just as hard, but I accept it as the way the world works in terms of celebrity culture (both in show biz and in sports), where there is a huge risk but potentially a huge gain.  One could end up as a penniless actor, but there's a tiny chance one could luck out and end up on a giant hit like "The Big Bang Theory".  

As for who in the cast deserves more or less, in every job, the person paid the highest might not be the smartest or the most talented one, so this is no different.  There are always elements of timing and luck.  One might not be the best actor but having chemistry with the other actors is important, and if other people had been casted on "The Big Bang Theory", there's a chance the show might not have been a hit.   Since the production company is making so much money, I don't begrudge the actors for getting some of the cut.  Of course, the writing is arguably just important as the acting, but once a show is an established hit, the "face" of the show becomes indispensable, and to lose the main actors would be taking a huge risk.

Edited by Camera One

My only gripe about the money they make is they could try and say they'd take less money to get better writers OR try to bad together with the other staff and say will take take less if the writers, sound people, cameraman, etc, make more, but I don't know enough about Hollywood contracts, who they are hiring, if those people work exclusively on those shows, etc, to know if that is even possible in such a negotiation.  My guess is its not, its different unions for all of them, different contracts, they probably all work on different shows and may not even be negotiating with the same people for their various contracts. 

To be really successful in acting takes either extraordinary talent or being lucky enough to get matched up with the right role. I saw a rerun of Hollywood Game Night with Kaley as one of the celebrities playing and it was apparent that she's pretty much being herself as Penny, but that's making her employers bucketloads of money, so there's no reason she shouldn't share in that

If an actual scientist could create something with a billion-dollar payout, she would be totally welcome to taking a 10% or so piece of the profits.

Not too sure about that. How much money do you think Lipitor made for Pfizer, yet they laid off the guy who invented it? Most scientists are just worker drones, albeit presumably smarter than the average bear. If that dude got 10%, he wouldn't still have been working for them.

My TV listings are showing the premiere as being on Monday Sept 22. Isn't this show usually shown on Thursdays? When did this change happen?

It begins on Mondays due to Thursday Night Football. Then switches back later in the season.

• Love 1

From the "S08.E01: The Locomotion Interruption" thread:

I'm not watching this until tomorrow, but I'm curious have they made an inside joke over the horror of being on opposite of Gotham yet?  That would be the reason I'm not watching until tomorrow.

According to Entertainment Weekly:

Fox debuted Gotham right up against back-to-back episodes of TV’s biggest comedy, CBS’ The Big Bang Theory, which predictably exploded — 17.9 million viewers for the hour and a 5.3 in the demo. That’s down slightly from last year’s record-setting Thursday night premiere, so let’s cue the jokes blaming Kaley Cuoco‘s haircut (even the show made one, with Jim Parsons’ character Sheldon quipping during the premiere: “Your hair is different. You changed your hair. I can’t take this. I’m out.”) Don’t read anything into that decline as it’s pretty expected given Big Bang‘s time-slot change, its towering performance last fall, and that this is basically the first night of the new season so viewers are still figuring out that their shows are coming back.