Type keyword(s) to search

The Media Thread Emanation

1 hour ago, lordonia said:

The show has never specified where he went -- did Mary accompany him to classes?

One of the recent episodes talks about Sheldon coming home unexpectedly when he was 13, his mother was at bible study and his father was "busy" with another woman in the master bedroom.  I wondered then how it was that Sheldon would have made his own travel arrangements and paid for a train or plane ticket on his own without involving his parents.

We know at one point he went to Germany for school and he was there alone so either this show 

Heh, that's from one of my favourite episodes when Sheldon gets sick and the guys hide out at the Planet of the Apes marathon - Sheldon tells Penny he was in Germany at 15 as a "visiting professor".  His mother was with him initially but had to go back to Texas because their house had slipped off the cinder blocks again!  

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

A spinoff for young Sheldon?

This sounds like a terrible idea.

On just about every level. I can't think of a single good creative reason for this. Business reasons sure. If this is how they keep Jim Parsons on board for another season after contracts are up it certainly may be worth it from a financial POV. But creatively we have all the usual problems of prequels (continuity issues, knowing how the story ends, etc.) in addition to the many casting challenges starting with Laurie Metcalf being 20 years too old and finding a child actor to play a thankless role where you are going to constantly be compared to one of the great comedic performances of recent years and the fact that we have to be building to a character who was funny, but an obnoxious jerk or try to explain why he grew, but then regressed. Going with what we know we have some funny stories, but in small doses and not much of an arc. If you wanted a spinoff that could actually work there is Penny's family in Nebraska, or Leonard's parents being forced to work together on something. Even Stuart and the comic book store would have a better chance of lasting a few seasons and giving us something worthwhile.

• Love 1

My money says we see a backdoor pilot before the season's out. My only consolation would be a scene of Sheldon unwittingly meeting a young Amy in a scene. (I'm such a sucker for "we met once but didn't realize it" stories. And I think the cliche moment of "I'm not alone" would be adorable.)

On 11/23/2016 at 10:03 PM, anna0852 said:

Oh. I'm in Germany at the moment. That probably explains it. Darn.

Yeah, I'm in Scotland for work and I've been tearing Netflix up with the Big Bang Theory watching since I've been over here.

On 12/8/2016 at 5:04 PM, anna0852 said:

Interesting article about the future of BBT. Sounds like the cast is onboard, if the network is willing. I had no idea they'd all made *that* much money from it though. If I was one of them, I'd be sticking around as long as possible to maximize my take!

http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-big-bang-theory-when-will-it-be-canceled/

That article is slightly misleading because though it quotes Forbes, Forbes did not just count their BBT salary but what they earened in that year including side projects. 

• Love 1
On 12/8/2016 at 8:04 PM, anna0852 said:

Interesting article about the future of BBT. Sounds like the cast is onboard, if the network is willing. I had no idea they'd all made *that* much money from it though. If I was one of them, I'd be sticking around as long as possible to maximize my take!

http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-big-bang-theory-when-will-it-be-canceled/

Except at a certain point it's really not about the money anymore for at least some of the cast. There really is something to the desire to move on and try new things once you are pretty much set for life.

6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

That article is slightly misleading because though it quotes Forbes, Forbes did not just count their BBT salary but what they earened in that year including side projects. 

Almost all of these articles are at least slightly misleading, because the television business has become so complex that without knowing all the side deals that might be involved it's pretty much impossible to say anything other than "BBT is very expensive to make and brings in a ton of money" although they did do a pretty job of pointing out it's not "the greedy cast has made this too expensive for poor CBS".

• Love 2

The Big Bang Theory Eyes Huge Two-Season Renewal Deal at CBS

EXCLUSIVE: CBS‘ The Big Bang Theory is on track to go on for at least two more seasons. I hear that original cast members Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar are finalizing new two-year contracts to continue on the Warner Bros TV-produced comedy series, paving the way for a two-year renewal, which I hear also is nearing the finishing line. If negotiations between CBS and WBTV conclude successfully, it would bring the blockbuster comedy to 12 seasons. The network and studio declined comment.

• Love 3

The show is making money for all people involved, so I understand. I think one of the Big 3 will need to decide that they're done for the show to end. Hidden Figures has been the most successful project outside of the show for one of the cast, but even then, Parson's was way down the cast list. Despite the popularity of the show, the cast has not been able to use their fame to anchor other projects.

I'd like to see that, as you can tell the passion is no longer there.

• Love 2

Simon Helberg got excellent reviews for FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS. I'd expect him to go on to have a fine career because he's a good character actor and has done enough other stuff that he's less likely to be typecast.

• Love 8
On 2/17/2017 at 0:15 PM, Traveller519 said:

The show is making money for all people involved, so I understand. I think one of the Big 3 will need to decide that they're done for the show to end. Hidden Figures has been the most successful project outside of the show for one of the cast, but even then, Parson's was way down the cast list. Despite the popularity of the show, the cast has not been able to use their fame to anchor other projects.

I think the cast has been quite successful as far as outside projects are concerned. Jim Parsons has done several plays and Hidden Figures, Melissa starred in The Bronze, Simon has done successful indie films, and Mayim has her books, website, and other projects. Everyone has had work outside of the series. I'm not sure that it's really reasonable to expect much more.

4 hours ago, wendyg said:

Simon Helberg got excellent reviews for FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS. I'd expect him to go on to have a fine career because he's a good character actor and has done enough other stuff that he's less likely to be typecast.

I've said it before, but Simon may be the best actor in a great cast and is probably the best positioned for a post-BBT career. He has shown tremendous range on the show, has picked his outside projects well as far as showing what he can do to the critics and people making the casting decisions (FFJ, We'll Never Have Paris, etc.). And thanks to the hair and costuming and being a supporting character he doesn't have as much baggage to overcome as far as being seen as just "that guy" by audiences and producers.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I think the cast has been quite successful as far as outside projects are concerned. Jim Parsons has done several plays and Hidden Figures, Melissa starred in The Bronze, Simon has done successful indie films, and Mayim has her books, website, and other projects. Everyone has had work outside of the series. I'm not sure that it's really reasonable to expect much more.

Just because they're doing things, and doing them well, doesn't mean they're commercially successful, which was my point. I loved Parsons in Hidden Figures and a Normal Heart, but he was the 6th and 12th leads in those respectively. I've been telling anyone and everyone to go check-out The Bronze because I loved it (I started The Bronze topic on the movie boards here), but it made $615,000 on an opening that was over half of that at #25. Kaley's only big non-animated film was The Wedding Ringer where she was the third lead on a Kevin Hart project. Even Simon in FFJ is the third lead.

What I'm saying is right now, there hasn't been a lot of evidence that their star power has much reach beyond the show. That's not to say the talent isn't there, but mass droves of people aren't rushing out to see Rings, just because Johnny Galecki's in it.

I'll add, I don't know how successful Jim's plays have been, that may be where he wants to focus his career post BBT, but the audience there is considerably smaller

Edited by Traveller519
12 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Just because they're doing things, and doing them well, doesn't mean they're commercially successful, which was my point. I loved Parsons in Hidden Figures and a Normal Heart, but he was the 6th and 12th leads in those respectively. I've been telling anyone and everyone to go check-out The Bronze because I loved it (I started The Bronze topic on the movie boards here), but it made $615,000 on an opening that was over half of that at #25. Kaley's only big non-animated film was The Wedding Ringer where she was the third lead on a Kevin Hart project. Even Simon in FFJ is the third lead.

What I'm saying is right now, there hasn't been a lot of evidence that their star power has much reach beyond the show. That's not to say the talent isn't there, but mass droves of people aren't rushing out to see Rings, just because Johnny Galecki's in it.

I'll add, I don't know how successful Jim's plays have been, that may be where he wants to focus his career post BBT, but the audience there is considerably smaller

11 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Having BBT money means the actors don't have to be the lead. They can be in a Hidden Pictures or a Florence Foster Jenkins and have the resume of being a reliable, good character actor. 

Perhaps more importantly being in the main cast of a big hit means that it is very hard to be the lead or the co-lead in side projects. It's a big time commitment especially since they do a fair amount of publicity, etc. as well. To do another project in your off time as one of the leads you need to be either really passionate about it, or have some sort of huge incentive. Even then the logistics are very difficult if you don't share a producer and can lead to difficulties ("I was in this movie with Adam Sandler during hiatus and had this stunt and the monkey kicked me. We only had 2 weeks before I had to go back so the doctors prescribed these painkillers.." And yes it's probably more important career wise to show that you play other types of characters or to show your skills in other areas like writing. I just don't think it's a fair standard to expect the cast to star in huge projects or say they don't have appeal outside the show. Jim has sold theater tickets, Mayim's outside work definitely gets attention and sampling even though it's about as different from TBBT as possible, The Bronze was a small non-commercial indie film with mixed reviews. Just about all the attention it got in mainstream media was from Melissa, as well as publicity. It definitely did better than it would have without her. And if you really need proof of the cast's appeal outside the show just look at how often you see Kaley and Jim during commercial breaks.

• Love 1

Well, before that, it was Friends and before that, it was Everybody Loves Raymond, going all the way back to when Cheers reruns dominated the TBS lineup. There will eventually be a new syndicated show that will come along so I don't think TBS cares all that much. They've already gotten what they paid for. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

My basic point which I didn't explain very well, is that more seasons of TBBT are to the benefit of Warner Brothers and TBS.  I don't think they do much for CBS.  If TBS didn't have all of those hours spent on airing reruns of TBBT, would they even be a viable cable channel?

There are intangibles to consider for CBS.  TBBT is pretty much their only show to still bring in truly consistently high ratings.  Even NCIS is dipping below 2s these days.  TBBT, even if its not making crazy cash for CBS, is anchoring their entire comedy lineup and providing a lead-in for newer shows.  The network isn't going to give that up unless if it can avoid it.  Especially since they don't have anything even remotely poised to replace it.

• Love 4

I can see why all the leads are in for two more seasons (and I'm sure Melissa and Mayim will be on board as well). It's unlikely that they're ever going to make that kind of money on any other project. It's 18 minutes of content per episode, split between at least two storylines, so it's pretty easy work as far as TV shows go, and leaves them plenty of time for passion projects. They - especially Jim, Johnny, and Kaley - have the sweetest deals of any TV actors that I know of.

If it were me, I would sign on for another two years in a hot second even if I felt that the show was past its prime.

• Love 5

The other thing about the money is that it can finance less lucrative creative projects you want to do later. Seinfeld probably doesn't make much from COMEDIANS IN CARS GETTING COFFEE, but he seems to have a great time doing it, it's a great contribution to our understanding of comedy and comedians, and he doesn't have to care. John Mahoney, from FRASIER, I think is doing theater; David Schwimmer's done a lot of that, too.

• Love 3

The last time their contracts were up and they signed on for 3 more seasons, which expires this yr, Jim was pretty adamant that he didn't want to sign up for any more. He even mentioned on several talk shows I'd seen him on that he couldn't imagine a 50 yr old Sheldon. Now I wonder what's made him change his mind? Did he find that over these past 3 yrs he hasn't been as much in demand as he thought he would be? I've noticed that in the last few eps (and this could be my imagination so let me know) that Jim has seemed re-energized. Can't say the same for the rest of them though. Maybe Mayim, but all the others seem tired/bored, even the usually reliable Simon (Howard).

• Love 1
6 hours ago, kat165 said:

The last time their contracts were up and they signed on for 3 more seasons, which expires this yr, Jim was pretty adamant that he didn't want to sign up for any more. He even mentioned on several talk shows I'd seen him on that he couldn't imagine a 50 yr old Sheldon. Now I wonder what's made him change his mind?

I would imagine the proposed young Sheldon spinoff played a big role. He's an EP so there's money involved and probably more importantly the chance to learn that side of the business and improve his chances of being able to do his own projects in the future. I always assumed that keeping Jim on board was the whole raison d'etre for a project that nobody seems to be clamoring for actually.

• Love 2

Wow, this was great of the original cast to take a pay cut for them.

‘The Big Bang Theory’ Stars Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch Seek Parity in New Contract

The last hurdle to Warner Bros. TV and CBS clinching a two-season renewal of “The Big Bang Theory” is setting a new contract with actresses Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch.

According to multiple sources, the five original cast members on the show – Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, Kaley Cuoco, Kunal Nayyar and Simon Helberg — made the extraordinary gesture of taking a small pay cut to free up money for raises for Bialik and Rauch. The move is evidence of the strong camaraderie among the key players on the show that remains primetime’s most-watched comedy. The general harmony behind the scenes has also contributed to the show’s enduring creative strength, bolstered by the comedic chops of the core ensemble.

But as the dealmaking for what might be the final two seasons of “Big Bang” hits the home stretch, reps for Bialik and Rauch are said to be pressing for the studio to add some more coin to their paychecks as well.

Bialik and Rauch both joined “Big Bang” in season three and thus have to date earned significantly less than their co-stars. Both actresses are in the $200,000 per episode range this season, the show’s 10th, compared to $1 million per episode for the original five.

In the renewal talks that began late last year, the original cast members agreed to take a $100,000 cut in salary for the prospective 11th and 12th seasons to free up $500,000 to fund raises for Bialik and Rauch.

If Bialik and Rauch split the $500,000 from their co-stars, both would rise to nearly $450,000 an episode, or more than $21 million for the two-year, 48-episode deal. The question now is whether the two will hold firm for parity, or at least closer to parity, with the other stars. Negotiations on Bialik and Rauch’s deals are just beginning in earnest this week.

• Love 3
(edited)

I can see the 3 big stars making more than the rest but that said  if  Kunal Nayyar and Simon Helber are making the same money then  I really don't see why they are making so much more than Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch.  This is an ensemble and they've been on the show a long time now. Parity or walk would be my attitude!  Of course in my dreams would I even be making $200,000 x however many episodes there are in a year so what do I know?!!!??!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 4

It's an ensemble, but they were added late in the popularity of the show so they weren't going to be hired and instantly be getting the same pay as the rest. Kunal and Simon were part of the original group. They all created the show together as an ensemble, it makes sense that when that core 5 re-negotiated at one point they were all together on pay. Like how Friends negotiated. 

I agree that it makes sense that the others make more when you put it that way, but it's not like Amy and Mayim only recently joined the cast.  And they'd make a big hole if they left at this point.  If they stick together I think they could have some clout.  Both leaving at the same time would be pretty hard to explain!

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

I agree that it makes sense that the others make more when you put it that way, but it's not like Amy and Mayim only recently joined the cast.

The original cast members had contracts through season 7, which is when they renegotiated and got those raises. Mayim and Melissa signed later and were still under their original contracts, which are apparently up this year. 

• Love 1

It's lovely that the original 5 are willing to take paycuts so the other two can earn more, but it should be totally unnecessary. Considering how much money CBS makes off of 13 minutes of commercials with some show squished in between, there is really no excuse to justify that.

I'm also surprised Mayim wasn't already making notably more than Melissa. She was the more famous actress coming into the show and while it's been a long time since Blossom, you'd think she would be makingmore than Melissa who was basically an unknown before getting her part here.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I'm also surprised Mayim wasn't already making notably more than Melissa. She was the more famous actress coming into the show and while it's been a long time since Blossom, you'd think she would be makingmore than Melissa who was basically an unknown before getting her part here.

It also seems to me that Mayim has claimed a more prominent role in the show than Melissa.  I'm not exactly sure how contracts and pay are determined, but my guess is that bigger role/more screen time=higher pay.  But I could be wrong (actually, from this, it looks like I have been wrong....)

7 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

Both leaving at the same time would be pretty hard to explain!

Not really. Both of their characters are biologists, so the writers could hypothesize some sort of ill-fated conference trip, or Amy could be visiting Bernie at work when one of those incidents she mentions isn't just a humorous throwaway.

2 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Not really. Both of their characters are biologists, so the writers could hypothesize some sort of ill-fated conference trip, or Amy could be visiting Bernie at work when one of those incidents she mentions isn't just a humorous throwaway.

Knowing Lorre he would figuratively turn Bernadette into Howard's mother and just have someone yelling at Howard from the other room.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Unless the women did something to get him furious enough at them I really don't see him pulling a Charlie Harper (throwing them under a subway - well supposedly anyway) on them.  This show is better than that.  It will lose a lot of loyal viewers (raises hand) if they kill off Amy and especially if they kill off or otherwise get rid of a young mother!!  Not happening.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BlossomCulp said:

It will lose a lot of loyal viewers (raises hand) if they kill off Amy and especially if they kill off or otherwise get rid of a young mother!!  Not happening.

Probably not. Shows have replaced actors before, occasionally those playing title characters, so it's more likely they'd go that route (although two at once would be unusual).

It would be fine with me if some (including Bernadette and Raj) became recurring. The episodes are too short for every character to be involved in a story line every week.

• Love 1

I don't know about that.  This season they seem to be handling the storylines and all the characters much better than last year.  There are a few episodes that really stand out this year where all the characters got at least some lines and some good lines at that!

• Love 2

Ugh.  The new prequel is going to literally be called "Young Sheldon".  I thought that was just kind of a working title.  I actually think this could (I said COULD) be a fun show.  Nine year old Sheldon in high school has all kinds of comic possibilities.  I don't know if Lorre can pull it off, but I'm will to give it a chance.  The name however, I hate.  They couldn't come up with anything a little catchier?

Edited by Frost
  • Love 4

Evidently Lance Barber has been cast as Sheldon's father, and I have to admit, I don't care for him. I mean he's obviously good at playing a jerk, as he was on The Comeback, but I find him too unpleasant to watch. I really hated the Big Bang episode where he played Leonard's old bully and try to forget it exists...but evidently they're not going to let me. Bleh.

• Love 4

I think it has potential. The title sucks but I like them using Jim for the narrator and I like that Jon Favereau is involved. He's a good director and tends to go for fun projects. Remember, he's the one behind the original Iron Man back in 2008 and without him we might not have the Marvel Cinematic Universe! 

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 1