Type keyword(s) to search

The Media Thread Emanation

Christine Baranski, Laurie Metcalfe and Bob Newhart all got Emmy noms but the show itself and the main cast didn't get any (or I didn't see any).  I'm not surprised.  I still like the show and in some ways found this past season actually better overall than the year before but that doesn't mean I think it's award worthy anymore!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Homily said:

Christine Baranski, Laurie Metcalfe and Bob Newhart all got Emmy noms but the show itself and the main cast didn't get any (or I didn't see any).  I'm not surprised.  I still like the show and in some ways found this past season actually better overall than the year before but that doesn't mean I think it's award worthy anymore!

I'm actually a bit surprised that Christine Baranski got the nod. She's still a great actress and does a great job delivering the lines, but the writing for this character has become very one note and overboard so the overall performance isn't as good as Metcalf or Newhart.

• Love 4

I think Katey Sagal is inspired casting (Peg Bundy with an Okie twang!), and I love that they picked someone with real comedy chops, but didn't they describe Penny's mother as being fat?

Also, Jack McBrayer as her brother is another solid choice, but I thought it would be someone a little edgier. On the other hand him vs Sheldon in the whiny department could be awesome.

17 minutes ago, AriAu said:

I think Katey Sagal is inspired casting (Peg Bundy with an Okie twang!), and I love that they picked someone with real comedy chops, but didn't they describe Penny's mother as being fat?

I hope there'll be a reference to her having lost weight recently. I hate it when shows establish something as fact, then completely forget about it. I love Katey Sagal though, so I can't complain about the casting choice.

• Love 1
(edited)

There was the mention of her mother being fat in one episode that I can recall (Sheldon saying something about having seen a picture) but was there any other?  

Edited by Homily

I have absolutely no faith in the showrunners. They're gonna screw this up like they screwed up MeeMaw. 

Y'all watch. Katie Segal and the little guy from 30 rock for the druggie son. They are gonna screw this the hell up. 

What really frustrates me is in that article that man said he had NO END GAME!!! AUGHHHH!!! How much longer are they planning on letting htis crap go on anyway? No end game cause he's not done yet?

I don't think I can pull a how I met your mother and stick it out to the bitter end. I can't go through that trauma again.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Homily said:

There was the mention of her mother being fat in one episode that I can recall (Sheldon saying something about having seen a picture) but was there any other?  

Sheldon said something to Penny along the lines of "I've seen pictures of your mother. Keep eating." At which point Penny got a horrified expression on her face and abruptly stopped eating. To me, that implied that Mrs. Penny was supposed to be significantly overweight, maybe not Debbie Wolowitz level, but really overweight nonetheless. If I remember that, then I'm sure at least 80% of the regular viewers remember, so they can't just introduce the slender Katey Sagal without any reference to her weight.

Edited by chocolatine

I saw Katey Sagal on "Who do you Think You Are" recently and she was nothing like the funny characters she's played.  I didn't really love her all that much and I thought I would.  I would find it hard to believe she could play a Peg type at this point based on what I saw, but I guess she's a good actress so I'm hoping to be surprised.  But she's really thin now, thinner than before, unless they're going to make her look heavy.

7 hours ago, AriAu said:

Also, Jack McBrayer as her brother is another solid choice, but I thought it would be someone a little edgier. On the other hand him vs Sheldon in the whiny department could be awesome.

And I can see Katey Sagal as being married to Keith Carradine.

I hated Jack McBrayer on "30 Rock" as creepy Kennneth and that other live action show he did on Adult Swim, although as a voice actor I think he's good. I think he'll be terrible as Penny's brother.

• Love 4

Since Penny said her brother was "kind if a scientist" I've always though Aaron Paul should be her brother. Playing a version of Jesse Pinkman but, that might be the Breaking Bad fan in me.

• Love 1
(edited)

If I remember that, then I'm sure at least 80% of the regular viewers remember, so they can't just introduce the slender Katey Sagal without any reference to her weight.

They spent years making us believe Leonard's parents only had sex for reproductive purposes (oh and on their honeymoon) and then we have Beverly talking about Leonard walking in on her and the father playing some kind of kinky sex game.  Yeah, right.  Along those lines we've had Mary Cooper preach the fundie party line where sex is concerned and then we find that (a) as a young girl you could have her for a bottle of cheap wine and (b) she has wild sex all over her living room with the current boyfriend, to the point where the only "safe" place for Sheldon to sit was at the dining room table.  Again, yeah, right.  If they can totally change Mary and Beverly whom we see several times a season I have no reason to believe they can't change Penny's mom who we have never seen just because Sheldon got a laugh in one episode by suggesting Penny's mom was fat.

Edited by Homily
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Homily said:

They spent years making us believe Leonard's parents only had sex for reproductive purposes (oh and on their honeymoon) and then we have Beverly talking about Leonard walking in on her and the father playing some kind of kinky sex game.  Yeah, right.  Along those lines we've had Mary Cooper preach the fundie party line where sex is concerned and then we find that (a) as a young girl you could have her for a bottle of cheap wine and (b) she has wild sex all over her living room with the current boyfriend, to the point where the only "safe" place for Sheldon to sit was at the dining room table.  Again, yeah, right.  

Give Mary a little more credit, it was a bottle of strawberry wine and a car ride. ;)

• Love 5

Will Penny's mother and brother have a last name?

Even if Penny's mom is slender now, maybe she was heavier in the past and someone took an unflattering photo. But I have pretty much given up expecting continuity on BBT.

• Love 1

Just because Mary Cooper was "easy" in her youth, doesn't mean she didn't find Jesus later and be born again, or that later in life, after she became a widow, to have a crisis of faith.

And people described as fat lose weight, even off-screen fictional characters.

• Love 8

. But I have pretty much given up expecting continuity on BBT.

Agreed, but in the spirit of fairness I don't really think the writers should be held to one offhand comment made in a single episode.  Now if they'd ever shown Howard's mother onscreen and she'd been a slender woman, or even heavy but normal heavy if you know what I mean, then that's a whole different thing!

• Love 4
On 7/23/2016 at 2:35 PM, Driad said:

Will Penny's mother and brother have a last name?

Even if Penny's mom is slender now, maybe she was heavier in the past and someone took an unflattering photo. But I have pretty much given up expecting continuity on BBT.

"Wow, Mom, you lost weight."

There, continuity solved.

• Love 9

Not a fan of the Jack McBrayer casting.  Didn't like him in 30 Rock, don't like him on Modern Family, and I don't think I'm going to like him as Penny's brother.  He's too whiny and awkward.  I don't buy him as a meth cook or whatever Penny's brother was supposedly incarcerated for. 

I'm okay with Katey Sagal as Penny's mom, though.  If they can bring in a bunch of actors from Roseanne, why not bring one in from Kaley's past too. 

• Love 3

I just hope they don't say anything that messes with "8 Simple Rules" I really liked that show and I didn't appreciate it when Lorre had "Dharma and Greg" show up in an episode of Two and Half Men bickering and nasty and making snide comments about each other and their families so if they do they same thing here I Will Not Be Happy!

• Love 1
On 7/23/2016 at 10:00 AM, Homily said:

Along those lines we've had Mary Cooper preach the fundie party line where sex is concerned and then we find that (a) as a young girl you could have her for a bottle of cheap wine and (b) she has wild sex all over her living room with the current boyfriend, to the point where the only "safe" place for Sheldon to sit was at the dining room table.

I have to disagree this was a total change or even bad writing. Mary Cooper is probably one of the more sympathetic and realistic depictions of a fundamentalist Christian on TV today. I know more than one deeply religious person who was a bit of a wild child. As feisty and intelligent as she seems to be, growing up in a conservative environment it's quite likely. They turned to religion for all sorts of reasons. I also know a lot of conservative Christians who have sexual relationships outside of marriage. Often it's a matter of economics (it's possible that by getting married she would lose money from whatever survivor's benefits she gets for Sheldon's father.) Or they were in a troubled relationship and don't want to make a permanent commitment too soon again just to avoid this particular sin. As Mary put it herself "I'm not perfect." She realizes the conflict and hopes to be forgiven by a higher power. 

On 7/23/2016 at 4:34 PM, Homily said:

Agreed, but in the spirit of fairness I don't really think the writers should be held to one offhand comment made in a single episode.  Now if they'd ever shown Howard's mother onscreen and she'd been a slender woman, or even heavy but normal heavy if you know what I mean, then that's a whole different thing!

If they'd shown Howard's mother onscreen they would have to have been fired for comedic malpractice. There is no actress, no CGI, nothing Jim Henson's Creature Shop could come up with that wouldn't be a disappointment and less funny than our imagination.

• Love 3
(edited)

I also know a lot of conservative Christians who have sexual relationships outside of marriage. 

Are they preaching to others that if they have sex outside marriage that they are sinning?  Because that's what Mary believed and said on more than one occasion.    I like Mary too and I'd rather believe it's bad writing or a complete change in character because otherwise we're left thinking Mary is a big old hypocrite.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

I just hope they don't say anything that messes with "8 Simple Rules" I really liked that show and I didn't appreciate it when Lorre had "Dharma and Greg" show up in an episode of Two and Half Men bickering and nasty and making snide comments about each other and their families so if they do they same thing here I Will Not Be Happy!

Words cannot express how much I hated the Dharma and Greg thing. I've had to hand-wave it ever since by deciding that while looking at the house Dharma picked up some really bad vibes, and that her and Greg fighting was just one of the games she liked to play to make people uncomfortable. (Like when she mentioned going out with Greg and pretending to be siblings to see if they could make anyone throw up when they started making out. Man I miss that show.)

• Love 4

It's a comedy so I am willing to give up continuity in the interests of humor, but I think Penny's mom being heavy is something that many fans remember....and were surprised by since Penny is so not. Some mention would be good and funny would be her showing up in full on Peg Bundy look, complete with pushup bra, and Penny saying "clearly after the diet, you went back to what you looked like in the 80's".

And really though how fat was she ever supposed to be?  Penny is slender, even an extra 20 lbs would have horrified her so Sheldon making a comment about seeing pictures of her mother doesn't have to mean she was ever anything but a perfectly normal middle aged woman who doesn't happen to be Hollywood thin. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I think Katey Sagal is inspired casting (Peg Bundy with an Okie twang!)

Why would Penny's mother have an Okie twang?  Penny's from Nebraska.  

Edited by Homily
  • Love 1
On 7/23/2016 at 10:00 AM, Homily said:

They spent years making us believe Leonard's parents only had sex for reproductive purposes (oh and on their honeymoon) and then we have Beverly talking about Leonard walking in on her and the father playing some kind of kinky sex game.

Sex isn't always involved in the type of scenario described, although Beverly make have experienced a similar form of pleasure in dominating her husband that way.

I doubt the writers intended us to think that.  I'm pretty sure they completely forgot they ever said that the Hofstetters only had sex for reporductive purposes.   They go for the joke of the moment, and I can't blame them for that, but it can still be annoying! 

I've been watching BBT with and without laugh tracks and I can't decide which one I like better.

Then I came across this gem of the internet:

http://indiegogo.com/at/KilltheCann

doesn't look like its going to get funded, and I think its a bit of a terrible idea...

I do like sometimes the awkward pauses in the shows but do other people watch without laugh tracks?

They tape the show live – that’s how we get all of the very detailed taping reviews months before the show has aired.

For scenes already filmed off set, they play the finished (or almost finished) scene on a monitor for the audience to watch since it would obviously be needed for context, and to get the reaction from the audience.

• Love 1
On September 5, 2016 at 10:08 PM, anna0852 said:

They did that last year too. It's to accommodate Thursday Night Football. They'll go back to Thursday sometime later this fall.

— which is happening this coming week: October 27

• Love 1
On 7/25/2016 at 11:22 PM, CherryAmes said:

Are they preaching to others that if they have sex outside marriage that they are sinning?  Because that's what Mary believed and said on more than one occasion.    I like Mary too and I'd rather believe it's bad writing or a complete change in character because otherwise we're left thinking Mary is a big old hypocrite.

But in one of the early episodes, Mary comes on to the dean, to the point where Sheldon asks if he's going to be Sheldon's "new daddy." Mary says (if I recall), "We'll see."

17 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

A spinoff for young Sheldon?

This sounds like a terrible idea.

Agreed. I find him the least likable character on the show (next to Raj, who is absolutely the worst).

46 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

But in one of the early episodes, Mary comes on to the dean, to the point where Sheldon asks if he's going to be Sheldon's "new daddy." Mary says (if I recall), "We'll see."

Being interested in marrying again isn't the same thing as thinking sex outside marriage is a sin.  In the episode where Amy and Sheldon break up and Mary comes to Pasadena one of the first things she asks Leonard about the relationship is "did they sin".  

Regarding the possible spinoff, Sheldon went to college at 11, so it could be interesting to see how they'd portray his childhood. The show has never specified where he went -- did Mary accompany him to classes? Unless they make up a school, Texas A&M at Galveston would be about the only reasonable commuter option. Rice is about 50 miles.

Anyway, it's fun to speculate. We'd finally get to meet his brother!

• Love 1

If they do run with the Sheldon spin-off, I wonder if Laurie Metcalf will still play Mrs. Cooper. I'd give it a try for her, I enjoy her character, but I'm not sure if I'd be into it with someone else playing his mom. 

• Love 3