Type keyword(s) to search

Jonathan & Fernanda: Buying Boobies & Thangs

• Start Topic

There’s something socially off about Jonathan and he seems well below average intelligence. He’s with a 19yr old for a reason - most likely he’s a failure at adult relationships and has to be with a teenager. 

• Love 19

So, if you’re bringing your fiancé to your new home for the first time, wouldn’t you want it clean and comfortable for her? Stocked with some of the things she likes to eat? New sheets, pillows etc. that was just so WEIRD. I get why she was upset, if I was just DATING a guy (much less engaged to him) and he invited me to stay at his place and it was a mess with no bed I would take that as a sign he didn’t care two wits about me. 

• Love 15

Ashley and Jay.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

44 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

So, if you’re bringing your fiancé to your new home for the first time, wouldn’t you want it clean and comfortable for her? Stocked with some of the things she likes to eat? New sheets, pillows etc. that was just so WEIRD. I get why she was upset, if I was just DATING a guy (much less engaged to him) and he invited me to stay at his place and it was a mess with no bed I would take that as a sign he didn’t care two wits about me. 

Exactly! Plus I don’t think he’s ever lived with a girlfriend, so I’m taking bets on how long it will take him to complain that she “uses too much toilet paper!”

• Love 8
1 hour ago, PityFree said:

Ashley and Jay.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Exactly! Plus I don’t think he’s ever lived with a girlfriend, so I’m taking bets on how long it will take him to complain that she “uses too much toilet paper!”

And clogs the shower with her hair.

• Love 4

His friends, at least as edited here, were revolting. The homeowners were rich kids, it appears, and I doubt the other frat boys and sorority girls were hurting, either. Despite the emphasis on manners and hospitality in the South, they apparently didn't know how to make small talk such as "How was your trip? Tell us about your country. Your family." etc. This crew would smile in your face, humiliate you in a honeyed drawl, and diss you all over town.  

• Love 16
2 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

I think he's a douchebag. Slovenly, immature, not that cute even -- I see why he was single and had to go for a Mexican teenager.

I think he's pretty cute, especially considering all the other men on the show (his attitude toward women is a whole other kettle of fish). I was marrying someone for a visa, I'd make damn sure I was attracted to them, at the very least. He at least makes the effort to look nice. Much of it is based in his own self-absorption, but still. I can see them having fun working out together like Andrei and Elizabeth last season.

I also like that he speaks Spanish. I really don't feel that you can truly love someone without having deep conversations with them, and many of the couples who have been on this show have such a language barrier.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, Tuneful said:

His friends, at least as edited here, were revolting. The homeowners were rich kids, it appears, and I doubt the other frat boys and sorority girls were hurting, either. Despite the emphasis on manners and hospitality in the South, they apparently didn't know how to make small talk such as "How was your trip? Tell us about your country. Your family." etc. This crew would smile in your face, humiliate you in a honeyed drawl, and diss you all over town.  

I agree with you except about their accents being anywhere near to honey. Unless one is gulping the honey and trying to breathe and talk at the same time.

• Love 1

Despite the fact that I think he is a doofus, Jon’s ability to speak Spanish impresses me.  It sure beats a translator app. 

I think he mentioned he went to college in South Carolina but I wonder if he grew up in a place where speaking Spanish comes in especially handy like Arizona, Texas, California, New Mexico or Florida? Or did he just pay good attention in HS and college language classes?

Despite my heritage being Hispanic, I don’t remember anything from HS Spanish except a few cuss words and “cerveza.”

• Love 6
22 hours ago, pollywood said:

I am curious as to why she got implants there instead of here, especially if he paid. hopefully she never ends up on botched.

If she needs those guys they'll take her in a second.  And then she'll become the one doctor's 3rd wife.

23 minutes ago, PityFree said:

Despite the fact that I think he is a doofus, Jon’s ability to speak Spanish impresses me.  It sure beats a translator app. 

I think he mentioned he went to college in South Carolina but I wonder if he grew up in a place where speaking Spanish comes in especially handy like Arizona, Texas, California, New Mexico or Florida? Or did he just pay good attention in HS and college language classes?

Despite my heritage being Hispanic, I don’t remember anything from HS Spanish except a few cuss words and “cerveza.”

Yeah...that IS strange.  How is he bilingual?

29 minutes ago, Rdh1314 said:

If she needs those guys they'll take her in a second.  And then she'll become the one doctor's 3rd wife.

Maybe baseball helped. He said he played baseball through college; that could have included travel to Spanish-speaking locales.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

His last name is Hispanic, and his bio on realtor.com describes him as the only bilingual realtor in the area.

Well, I had thought of that (although I don’t recall his last name - I’ll go see if I can find it) but he described himself as “a gringo” and said that’s why Fernanda was surprised he spoke the language so I didn’t think he had any Hispanic heritage.

Rivera. Huh. Never met a Rivera who described himself as “a gringo.” Jon is “interesting.”

ETA: I guess he said he *looked* like a gringo. That’s different. 

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Maybe baseball helpheed. He said he played baseball through college; that could have included travel to Spanish-speaking locales.

Well, I guess we'll see how fluent he is. I mean Ricky (the dumb ass) spoke some Spanish with Hermana, but I didn't get the impression that it was a first language. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, sconstant said:
2 hours ago, Rdh1314 said:

? Why is being bilingual strange? I'm fluent in French and speak passable Spanish. I've picked up a bit of Italian and Catalan from my travels and have a fairly good handle on British and Irish slang. And I am just a regular ol' gal not a secret agent or a translator for the UN. lol 

• Love 13
27 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

? Why is being bilingual strange? I'm fluent in French and speak passable Spanish. I've picked up a bit of Italian and Catalan from my travels and have a fairly good handle on British and Irish slang. And I am just a regular ol' gal not a secret agent or a translator for the UN. lol 

It’s interesting to me since most Americans don’t speak a second language and since Jonathan described himself as looking like a gringo (that part was my mistake because I thought I heard John say he was a gringo rather than what he actually said which was that he looked like one). You are relatively unique in your polyglot status.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, PityFree said:

It’s interesting to me since most Americans don’t speak a second language and since Jonathan described himself as looking like a gringo (that part was my mistake because I thought I heard John say he was a gringo rather than what he actually said which was that he looked like one). You are relatively unique in your polyglot status.

I'm really not though. I have friends who are fluent in Thai, Greek, Norwegian, Mandarin, Portuguese, Hindi, etc. from having lived in those countries as children, travel, speaking the language of their parents and grandparents, a love of Mexico or Paris, stints as ESL instructors, many different reasons. I live in the Boston which is ethnically divers and know a ton of second and third generation Italians, Greeks, Portuguese, Brazilians, Polish and they all have retained some command of the language. You may know people who speak different languages and not even know it!

• Love 8
8 hours ago, spankydoll said:

I agree with you- I don’t think being bilingual is strange. I am not bilingual, although I greatly admire people who are. Someone speaking fluent Spanish who lives in the USA isn’t that surprising or odd. Are the most spoken languages in the world Manadrin, Hindi and Spanish?

• Love 3
12 hours ago, PityFree said:

I had assumed that he was ethnically Puerto Rican or had some kind of Latino heritage. 

Edited by Lily247
  • Love 3

Since we have used last names for others on the show, I hope it's okay to post this.  Jonathan's last name is Rivera.  Being on the east coast, I'm suspecting that he's only one or two generations from Puerto Rican roots.  He was probably brought up in a bilingual household.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

I think he's a douchebag. Slovenly, immature, not that cute even -- I see why he was single and had to go for a Mexican teenager.

I agree about the douchebag part.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Drogo said:

Also very likely that he took Spanish in school from 6th grade through college.  I did and I can maintain a conversation, despite no Spanish-speaking family.

I speak-better-than-conversational-but-not-fluent French for this reason. I took French from 7th grade through college, including studying abroad. I can also understand some Spanish because I lived in a neighborhood with a lot of native Spanish speakers for several years, and Spanish and French are pretty similar.

However Jonathan came to speak Spanish, it's nice that he and Fernanda don't have as much of a language barrier as some of the other couples. Him translating for her at the dinner was nice.

On 10/28/2018 at 8:02 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I can understand what he said about her wanting to pick out furniture for their shared place (although I would want a bed to sleep on when I arrived, because ... duh), but at the very least he should have cleaned. His place was messy as hell. I don't fault him for the power being out - it's not uncommon for my mom's neighborhood to lose power for a couple of days after a bad storm, which is why she has a generator. But dude, clean your place.

• Love 6

I have no clue how Jon came to speak Spanish, but he's a young guy and the past few decades have seen a huge upsurgence of high school and college level foreign language programs...it's a good thing to be bi-lingual.  Even the kindergarten classes in my area now start teaching Chinese to the kids (the private schools, not public.) All four of my grandparents from Italy and Spain immigrated to the USA around 1910.  They STRUGGLED with English but learned it. They wanted their children to KNOW ENGLISH to achieve the American dream, and that was not uncommon.  So even though I wish I would have paid more attention in high school to Spanish and knew the language,  my relatives thought that it was more important for me to have a solid understanding of the English language. It pisses me off that this idiot knows more Spanish than me lol! ?

Edited by Rdh1314
Poor English corrected
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, spankydoll said:

It's probably strange for people my age who haven't had the travel opportunities you have had. Or the education.  A foreign language was not required when I was in high school, although most of us took one. And some people my age had  relatives who immigrated, and those relatives  HAD to learn English from the early 1900s to 1930s in order to support their families and to provide opportunities for their future descendants. Those immigrants were PROUD to learn English.  So while it's wonderful that more people here in the USA speak more than one language,  don't knock those of us who find it odd- especially these days when there are Americans who "don't have no comand of english and text cuz they forgit how the pen works."

• Love 6
On 10/29/2018 at 5:26 PM, Rdh1314 said:

His last name is Rivera, so he probably grew up speaking English and Spanish fluently..

On 10/29/2018 at 6:16 PM, PityFree said:

Well, I had thought of that (although I don’t recall his last name - I’ll go see if I can find it) but he described himself as “a gringo” and said that’s why Fernanda was surprised he spoke the language so I didn’t think he had any Hispanic heritage.

HE didn't describe himself as a gringo.  He said Fernanda was surprised that he spoke Spanish; SHE thought he was a gringo.  I understood that he meant "mistakenly" thought that.

• Love 1
On 10/29/2018 at 5:22 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

I also like that he speaks Spanish. I really don't feel that you can truly love someone without having deep conversations with them, and many of the couples who have been on this show have such a language barrier.

On 10/29/2018 at 6:03 PM, PityFree said:

one of his friends at the dinner also spoke spanish (the one sitting next to him at the table) - I was pleasantly surprised by that as well. More so than Jon speaking it.

• Love 2
On 10/29/2018 at 10:13 PM, spankydoll said:

I don’t get why being bilingual is strange.  I have a cousin who just took to Spanish, she learned it in school.  Then she studied in Spain for a year.  Her husband is a native Spanish speaker.  I don’t find it strange at all.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don’t get why being bilingual is strange.

Prople from most other countries think WE Americans are "strange" because we speak only American English.   Why is no one mentioning how "odd" it is that Fernanda speaks manageable English?

On 10/30/2018 at 11:34 AM, Empress1 said:

I can understand what he said about her wanting to pick out furniture for their shared place (although I would want a bed to sleep on when I arrived, because ... duh), but at the very least he should have cleaned. His place was messy as hell.

Jon, how about a HOTEL for the first night?  Clean, comfortable and perceived as romantic.  Room Service the next morning.  While there you can explain there's NO BED at home because you know she wants to go furniture shopping.  You could also have warned her that you didn't straighten up as much as you wanted to.

• Love 13
On 10/28/2018 at 6:19 PM, pollywood said:

I am curious as to why she got implants there instead of here, especially if he paid. hopefully she never ends up on botched.

Plastic surgery is very inexpensive the closer you get to the equator. LOL, not sure why, but I concur with your worries re: ending up on 'Botched". I have heard horror stories about Mexican cosmetic 'surgeries'.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, iwasish said:

I just wish that some day,  when a guy suggests that a woman get breast implants because he wants a woman with large(r) breasts, that she respond that she’d like a man with a bigger dick. 

Can I like this a million times???

• Love 11

He said he bought boobies that she wanted and she said she's more comfortable now with the new boobs. It's very possible, even likely I'd say, that it was entirely her idea, and idea that he fully supported of course.

• Love 6
On 11/2/2018 at 8:11 AM, iwasish said:

I just wish that some day,  when a guy suggests that a woman get breast implants because he wants a woman with large(r) breasts, that she respond that she’d like a man with a bigger dick. 

I've been on the receiving end of "a bigger dick" more than once.   Bigger is NOT always better or desired.     In Jonathan's case, he probably needs a bigger income.

• Love 10
On 11/2/2018 at 10:11 AM, iwasish said:

I’d ask for a guy with a smarter brain and a bigger heart. 

• Love 11
On 11/1/2018 at 1:51 AM, Former Nun said:

Prople from most other countries think WE Americans are "strange" because we speak only American English.   Why is no one mentioning how "odd" it is that Fernanda speaks manageable English?

From my perspective, it is kind of odd that Fernanda speaks English. I have lived in areas with large amount of Spanish speakers and many, many could not speak more than a few words of English, even after living in the U.S. for 10-15 years. There are definitely pockets in the US - in Florida, California, Texas - where you see supermarkets, daycares, doctors offices, banks etc that are completely in Spanish, so it is possible to not learn English and still get by. I would surmise that that generation's children begin learning English from bilingual teachers once they hit elementary school and become their families' translators. What I am guessing is that Fernanda dated other American guys prior to Jon and advanced her English skills that way, despite her having been young, it wouldnt surprise me. 

Edited by Lily247
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Lily247 said:

There are definitely pockets in the US - in Florida, California, Texas - where you see supermarkets, daycares, doctors offices, banks etc that are completely in Spanish, so it is possible to not learn English and still get by. 

And Arizona.

• Love 2
On 11/12/2018 at 12:04 AM, pollywood said:

The more moneyed families in Mexico sometimes send their children to private schools like we do in the U.S. and they learn english there.

I get the vibe that Fernanda hung around tourist nightclubs and learned the language from guys like Jonathan. (Just a hunch). 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Lily247 said:

I get the vibe that Fernanda hung around tourist nightclubs and learned the language from guys like Jonathan. (Just a hunch). 

Words like “ I wish you had bigger bewbies”

Edited by iwasish
  • Love 3