Type keyword(s) to search

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Once again the death of the Waynes, because that's something that hasn't been done 900 times, and is something people need to see.  You don't need a Batman origin, everyone knows why Bruce Wayne is Batman.

Please don't let the rumors be true. 

Don't let that Robin suit mean that Dick Grayson is dead. It better be for Jason Todd. Because if it's Dick, holy crap that will hurt the movie massively.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've made my peace with Affleck as Batman.   I got past the initial reaction and started thinking, "If not Affleck, then who?"    Bale?   Again?  No.   I was never dazzled by his spin in the cowl.  By the third film his credibility was kaput.   I kept thinking, who among today's actors could pull it off?   I concluded it would have to be a complete unknown because everybody else brings name recognition and other baggage with them.   But with an unknown, you never know if it's going to be a success.   And I want this movie to succeed.

Affleck, of course, brings lots of name recognition.   But since every other experienced actor probably will too, that factor kind of cancels out.   On the plus side, I've liked Affleck in other movies.   I never pictured him as a superhero (and maybe I'm at an advantage here because I never saw his Daredevil) but he's a capable actor.   I guess what I realized is that I can't think of anyone else I'd rather see as Batman, so why keep resisting the prospect of having someone I've enjoyed in other films and whose acting I respect?

The trailer looks compelling.   I hate Holly Hunter, so that was a letdown.   Hate Jesse Eisenberg too.   It seems to me Lex Luthor should be older and more savvy, to pose a more intimidating threat to a youngish Superman.

I'm weary of all the tease and hype, though.   And there's still a lot of months between now and when this movie comes out.   I hope the finished product doesn't feel anticlimactic by then.

Edited by millennium

Oh is that what he said? They repeated it like it was something clever.

I think Lex thought it was clever. He was also drinking at the time.

Did everyone catch Mercy Graves? Not to mention Diana creating a giant shock wave just by banging her bracelets together.

• Love 2
(edited)

Props to Mama Kent for speaking truth to Clark.  He doesn't owe a world that tries to kill him a thing.   For real, he kills the last of his species, purposefully destroys his one shot of having a world like Krypton, Zod announced his intention to exterminate the human race which Clark stopped, and now he's being put on trial?  For saving the human race from extinction?  Behind the big words and rationales of Luthor and Batman, they're just scared boys.

Edited by lion10
  • Love 2
(edited)

I can't help it.  I watch the trailer and all I can see is Lego Batman.

If Bruce breaks out in Lego Batman's theme song, it would go a long way to make me love this flick. 

I liked a lot about the new trailer, but a lot left me cold, too. Yet another rehash of the Wayne's death, Lex and his $2.99 Party City wig just made me laugh, and why so super serial all the time? However, Henry Cavill looked way hot as Clark, so there's that. (I'm not really feeling his Supes, though. Maybe because he appears to be mute.)

I am very intrigued by the Suicide Squad trailer, though. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 1

Props to Mama Kent for speaking truth to Clark.  He doesn't a world that tries to kill him a thing.   For real, he kills the last of his species, purposefully destroys his one shot of having a world like Krypton, Zod announced his intention to exterminate the human race which Clark stopped, and now he's being put on trial?  For saving the human race from extinction?  Behind the words of Luthor and Batman, they're just scared boys.

Yeah, it's really not looking good. 

It didn't hit me that Cavill doesn't speak in the trailer until someone mentioned it, but upon reflection - that's well played.  Plus, I thought Cavill's facial expressions conveyed a lot, including amusement at Mama Kent's spirited pep talk.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Just saw the trailer and I can't believe I'm saying this, but if it was any indication, I'm actually on Team Superman right now.  Batman just comes off like an annoying, even whiny dick.  Granted, Batman always had, well, issues, but some reason, I feel like Ben Affleck is making him come off more obnoxious then interesting.

And, while I still get the idea behind it, I really don't think I'm going to enjoy Jesse Eisenberg's version of Lex Luthor.

On the other hand, I actually might like Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.  She actually looked pretty good in those brief shots.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4
(edited)

Just saw the trailer and I can't believe I'm saying this, but if it was any indication, I'm actually on Team Superman right now.  Batman just comes off like an annoying, even whiny dick.  Granted, Batman always had, well, issues, but some reason, I feel like Ben Affleck is making him come off more obnoxious then interesting.

I never saw him hug a child before though. That was nice.

I hate Holly Hunter, so that was a letdown.

Let me guess, because of Little Black Book?

Edited by VCRTracking
(edited)

Well, it looks like Wonder Woman/Diana might be a lone bright spot in this. And maybe Amy Adams, otherwise, it's so "dark" and serious. And yeah, we didn't need another Waynes murder scene to add to the supercut.

I could go off on a tirade about the complete fail that is Lex, but instead I choose to focus on my hangup with Lois Lane being a redhead. Nothing against gingers or anything, but how hard is it to slap a dark wig on Amy Adams? And more importantly, why does it irk me so? It's so distracting.

On another superficial note: Jeremy Irons = hottest Alfred ever.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 1

Let me guess, because of Little Black Book?

No, from back in the 80s and 90s when it seemed she was in everything, and then that Grace show.   The sandpapery voice, the cracker barrel accent, it all bugs me (it did work in Brother Where Art Thou, however).  She must have a good agent to keep getting roles (especially in a big movie like this) at her age, while better actresses go begging.

It didn't hit me that Cavill doesn't speak in the trailer until someone mentioned it, but upon reflection - that's well played. Plus, I thought Cavill's facial expressions conveyed a lot, including amusement at Mama Kent's spirited pep talk.

I realized that it's not quite true that Cavill doesn't speak... The line about the "Bat vigilante having a reign of terror" was his. Extra props for having Perry refer to "The Bat-Man."

ITA on Henry's facial acting, though.

The trailer has made me guardedly optimistic about the movie, but that's mainly thanks to the supporting actors like Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburn, Amy Adams, and Jeremy Irons. They have packed a metric crap-ton of talent into the second tier roles, and I think that may just be able to elevate this movie beyond its idiot "How dare you save the world - j'accuse!" plot.

Poor Henry Cavill...thought he was signing up to be the relatively happy, optimistic superhero, and like 90% of his job is to make angsty pained faces.

I'm beginning to suspect those months of grueling training were less about getting him in shape for the role and more about practicing the perfect grimmace for Snyder's approval.

Not to mention Diana creating a giant shock wave just by banging her bracelets together.

I'm betting that's deceptive trailer editing making something else from the movie look like the result of her action. Odds are either Batman or Luthor have formulated some kind of EMP weapon/exotic mini-nuke to use against Superman.

• Love 1

The thing with WW is pretty true. She's been able to to that with her bracelets in the comic. Speaking of, I loved the small glimpses of her we got to see. I pray that they hold off of revealing so much of her  until the film. I have a Ben bias but I think he looks like an awesome Bruce Wayne.  He's really the first actor who seems right for Bruce Wayne. Before, I think George Clooney came the closest, though his one movie was a colossal pile of shit through no fault of his own.

I don't really know what to think of Eisenberg's Lex Luthor. He comes off like a goofy, spoiled rich kid. Which, I suppose, is a new and valid take on the character, but when think of Luthor, I think of a calculating evil genius. We'll have to wait and see how it shakes down.

I'm so very excited for this film. 

• Love 1

I could go off on a tirade about the complete fail that is Lex, but instead I choose to focus on my hangup with Lois Lane being a redhead. Nothing against gingers or anything, but how hard is it to slap a dark wig on Amy Adams? And more importantly, why does it irk me so? It's so distracting.

In my opinion, wigs tend to devalue and hurt the quality of a production, and should be avoided as much as possible.  I also don't think that Lois Lane is iconic enough, at least visually, to merit that level of faithfulness.

Extra props for having Perry refer to "The Bat-Man."

Actually I didn't see that as a throwback to the early issues; I just assumed what he was actually saying was "the Batman".  Or in other words, that the character's name in this film will be so, as in the Nolan films and comic book mythos.

Actually I didn't see that as a throwback to the early issues; I just assumed what he was actually saying was "the Batman".  Or in other words, that the character's name in this film will be so, as in the Nolan films and comic book mythos.

It might very well be; I just thought that Fishburne's delivery sounded like he was separating the syllables on purpose.

• Love 1
(edited)

I suppose this should go in either the Extended DC thread or unpopular, but since it's been mentioned here, I think I'm safe. If not, mods., please feel free to move to the appropriate thread.

I've said it before and I'll say it again--I don't like Ben Affleck. I've never cared for his acting, don't think he can act, and certainly don't think he's right to play Batman. The fact that Bats is my numero uno, favorite hero ever, and that I refuse to see this movie, is saying something. I won't repeat the reasons why, since I've mentioned them up thread. But I did love Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne and Batman, the horrid voice nothwithstanding. For me, back in 2005 when I saw that one minute trailer of Batman Begins? I said to myself, they finally got it right.  And one of my favorite lines of the movie (which I also used as a vm tone-shutup, don't judge me) is: "A man who dresses up like a bat, clearly has issues."

And don't get me started on "Lex."

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

Well the new trailer just confirmed for me that there's no way they are doing this well.

On another superficial note: Jeremy Irons = hottest Alfred ever.

It took to the very end of the trailer for me to get that he was meant to be Alfred.  Whaaa?

(edited)

I suppose this should go in either the Extended DC thread or unpopular, but since it's been mentioned here, I think I'm safe. If not, mods., please feel free to move to the appropriate thread.

I've said it before and I'll say it again--I don't like Ben Affleck. I've never cared for his acting, don't think he can act, and certainly don't think he's right to play Batman. The fact that Bats is my numero uno, favorite hero ever, and that I refuse to see this movie, is saying something. I won't repeat the reasons why, since I've mentioned them up thread. But I did love Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne and Batman, the horrid voice nothwithstanding. For me, back in 2005 when I saw that one minute trailer of Batman Begins? I said to myself, they finally got it right. And one of my favorite lines of the movie (which I also used as a vm tone-shutup, don't judge me) is: "A man who dresses up like a bat, clearly has issues."

And don't get me started on "Lex."

I can understand this. Superman Returns was complete garbage, but I've actually never seen it for similar reasons. Supes and Lois are my favorite all time characters and Kate Bosworth as Lois totally soured me on that movie. From that one particular casting decision I vowed to never see the movie. Edited by Glory
(edited)

I can understand this. Man of Steel was complete garbage, but I've actually never seen it for similar reasons. Supes and Lois are my favorite all time characters and Kate Bosworth as Lois totally soured me on that movie. From that one particular casting decision I vowed to never see the movie. 

Kate was in Superman Returns with Brandon Routh as Supes. Or are you saying you hated both Man of Steel (Henry Cavill/Amy Adams) AND Superman Returns?  Because I'm totally on board with the garbage that was Superman Returns, because Supes and Lois are number two for me, followed by Wally's Flash.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Not to mention Diana creating a giant shock wave just by banging her bracelets together.

The thing with WW is pretty true. She's been able to to that with her bracelets in the comic.

I thought it was like in The Avengers when Thor's hammer hit Captain America's shield, two unbreakable objects colliding.

Affleck is good in certain roles like the asshole senior in Dazed and Confused, Matt Damon's dumb but loyal friend in Good Will Hunting or the cheating husband in Gone Girl. Definitely a better director. To quote South Park "Argo just works dammit!"  I also will say I will no longer hold Armageddon against him since he was willing to admit the stupidity of it's premise as heard in bits of the DVD commentary used in the Honest Trailer:

(edited)

The only good thing about the trailer to me was Diane Lane as Martha Kent.  I have to say my favorite thing of Man of Steel was the flashbacks with Costner and Lane.

I want to hate the DC cinematic universe b/c to be honest i'm more of Marvel guy and it just irks me that DC is in such a rush to match up to Marvel that they aren't starting a slow burn like they should, but oh well.  It just seems like DC can't figure it out really, or they don't want to learn.

Why have they decided to go with this version of Lex?  If anything they should have copied the template from the DCAU and cast Billy Zane as Lex.  I don't like that Lex is much younger than Clark and Bruce, it just seems stupid to me.

Edited by CMH1981

Yeah, I'm willing to give Affleck a chance--I think he can be good in the right roles, and with a strong script. He does tend to be better playing asshole characters, but this version of Bruce looks like a big (whiny) dick, so that's fine. My big concern is the script. I don't think Affleck can elevate a weak-to-mediocre script, and given that this movie's central premise seems to be "You saved the world...YOU MONSTER, HOW DARE YOU, WE MUST HUNT YOU DOWN IN RETALIATION," I'm not hopeful.

• Love 1
I don't like that Lex is much younger than Clark and Bruce, it just seems stupid to me.

Is this version of Lex supposed to be much younger? Technically, Jesse Eisenberg and Henry Cavill are the same age, but they certainly don't look it.

Yeah, I'm willing to give Affleck a chance--I think he can be good in the right roles, and with a strong script. He does tend to be better playing asshole characters, but this version of Bruce looks like a big (whiny) dick, so that's fine. My big concern is the script. I don't think Affleck can elevate a weak-to-mediocre script, and given that this movie's central premise seems to be "You saved the world...YOU MONSTER, HOW DARE YOU, WE MUST HUNT YOU DOWN IN RETALIATION," I'm not hopeful.

Not that I'm co-signing the whole premise, but I think the issue is "You bought this trouble to our planet in the first place".

I think in a way it's actually harkening back to the earliest Siegel and Schuster stories, where a Superman whose power levels were much lower essentially went around fighting the evil members of what today we might call the One Percent on behalf of the little guy.  There's a similar dynamic seen in the trailers, except that in those brief print stories designed for tweens with low education levels the bad guys essentially folded, and those in political power were seen as paragons of virtue and accepted that Superman was good and true and just.  Whereas, in the modern world where sometimes it seems like everything has gone to shit*, the bad guys aren't going to roll over.... they're going to play the cards they have to move against a legitimate threat to their position and power.  Hence, Lex.

Bruce, on the other hand, may not see him like that.... but as he knelt there hugging that little girl in exactly the same way that no one hugged him on the night of his parents' murder (and let's not forget that the was the one running towards the collapsing building, because cowl or no cowl he's the Goddamn Batman), and as some -- however irrationally, we don't know -- held him responsible for the deaths in the Wayne Tower and in so doing compared it to the deaths of his parents ("YOU LET YOUR FAMILY DIE" ....  and what else has probably haunted his dreams since he was 8?), he came to believe that Superman is capable of causing as much pain as all the criminals he's locked away over the years.  We may see Superman as the "perfect man who came from the sky and did only good," but Bruce Wayne isn't nearly as trusting of others' good intentions, which is how he comes to see Supes as an existential threat to humanity.  In the comics, post-Crisis when Superman and Batman were no longer the BFF's they had been until 1985, after Kryptonite was reintroduced Clark actually gave some green K to Batman, because Bruce was the only one he trusted to take him down if the need arose.  If we assume that Batman v Superman can't end with the death or departure of either combatant (or Diana), because they need them for the rest of the movies, then I'd be happy with a similar ending.

Finally, here's the WW content from the most-recent trailer:

1336287064121560612.gif

* - Yes, I realize I'm a fat white middle-class American with a decent job, and "gone to shit" is incredibly relative compared to most of the world.

• Love 1

Kate was in Superman Returns with Brandon Routh as Supes. Or are you saying you hated both Man of Steel (Henry Cavill/Amy Adams) AND Superman Returns?  Because I'm totally on board with the garbage that was Superman Returns, because Supes and Lois are number two for me, followed by Wally's Flash.

I meant Superman Returns. That's what I get for posting before my coffee!

• Love 1

I don't think Affleck can elevate a weak-to-mediocre script, and given that this movie's central premise seems to be "You saved the world...YOU MONSTER, HOW DARE YOU, WE MUST HUNT YOU DOWN IN RETALIATION," I'm not hopeful.

I think there is an element of fear among people.  WE know that Superman is the Boy Scout of Boy Scouts, but as far as the humans of the DCCU are concerned, intelligent life has been confirmed to exist in the most terrifying way possible, the universe is inhabited by beings of godlike power, those same beings just tried to kill us all, and the only reason humans as a species still exist is that one of these aliens decided to side with us.  It would be prudent to try and have some countermeasures in place in the off chance that more of these people show up, or the guy that decided to side with us tries to one day rule the Earth as a god-king.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I totally agree that countermeasures are prudent. Going about it by trying to unprovokedly destroy Superman, who has the power to kill us all if we piss him off or make him feel threatened? Not so prudent.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2

I actually don't think the premise is too outlandish considering the state of Metropolis at the end of "Man of Steel."   The Zod v. Superman battle had to have cost MANY MANY people their lives before it was all over.   To say nothing of the crashing ships and Faora and the others.    Superman is the only one left and to those in pain or those looking to capitalize for whatever reason, he must be like a red flag waved in front of a bull.    It looks like plenty of people will also be pro-Superman so I think it'll be believable.

I like the guy who plays Lex Luthor so I'm willing to give this version a chance.   My only concern is there may be to much in this movie.   Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Lex Luthor, Alfred, Lois.   That's quite a few marque characters and the last time DC had a crowded movie, I felt my "beloved" Talia Al Ghul, was short-changed.

Definitely willing to give it a try though.

• Love 1

The tone is just so dark with an extra helping of gloom.  I LIKE the idea of questioning Superman and his motives and the thought that some people might view him as a god --- that's interesting and could be explored.  I don't like the Wayne angst (nothing against Ben Afflack, who I do like) ...... the trailer makes this feel like a Batman movie and not a Superman movie (heck it's called Batman vs. Superman, not even Superman vs. Batman)..  

I do like the little bits we've seen of Wonder Woman - not sold on Gal Gadot as an actress but I'll reserve judgement.  I really like the look of this Wonder Woman.

• Love 1
(edited)

The tone is just so dark with an extra helping of gloom.  I LIKE the idea of questioning Superman and his motives and the thought that some people might view him as a god --- that's interesting and could be explored.  

Some of that stuff in Man of Steel I found really interesting. I mean just seeing how people respond to the fact that there are aliens, they look just like humans, and they are invading earth is something really crazy. I like them touching on how people would react to that kind of thing, and how it would mess up a lot of people's beliefs. That is one thing Marvel really hasn't touched. In there world there are aliens, some look like humans and are worshiped as gods. But people seem to be going about their daily lives like this is no big deal.

heck it's called Batman vs. Superman, not even Superman vs. Batman)

It is not even called that, it is called Batman V. Superman, like some kind of court case or something. What the hell is that?

Without Kryptonite, I don't see how either Batman or Wonder Woman can hope to fight Superman. I recently watched Superman vs Faora, Faora vs the soldiers, and Zod vs Superman and in each fight the strength, speed, and invulnerability of the Kryptonians FAR outmatched anything the soldiers could hope to throw at them or any of Marvel's heroes including Thor or the Hulk. Superman really is a god among men.

As far as how could Batman expect to fight superman, I think the biggest variable is how far each one of them would go. I mean if Superman isn't willing to kill Batman, but Batman is willing to kill superman then it might level the playing field some. 

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1
(edited)

Before Comic Con weekend I merely objected to Jesse Eisenberg as being horribly miscast, but now after his genocide comment and the condescending non-apology he put out in response to backlash, I can add personal contempt for the actor as well.

Suddenly, Superman being fond of neck-snapping doesn't seem to be as big a downside for the franchise as I'd previously thought.

Edited by Bruinsfan

I think they should just call it "Bringing Back Batman Because We Didn't Relaunch Superman As We Wanted:  But Shhh! Don't Tell Anyone!"

There was a famous author who wrote an essay on why Superman works and why he doesn't.  It was a bit dated but it did bring up the interesting aspect of Superman not only being human looking but also being attractive -- women wanting him, men wanting to be him.  It was something with the casting of Cavill I really hoped they would explore.

And I think they were stupid to cast Eisenberg.  Luthor is the dark side of seduction (no pun intended).  Superman is someone who sees through that.  But Luthor is a social success until Superman comes along (at least in the versions I read growing up -- even if he was already practicing evil it was in a covert way).  Why the hell didn't they lure Idris Elba away from his too small roles in the Marvel films (how tight are those contracts)?  He played a Luthor already (different characters but there is a dynamic that works for both to me) and I want a Luthor that is charismatic and attractive in spite of himself.  On some levels from what I have seen and read, Luthor should be the compelling voice of at least one version of reason.  Eisenberg snipping doesn't sell that too me at all. 

But then I feel this movie also short changes the rebooting of Luthor as Superman's nemesis.  No matter who they cast.  Superman and Luthor deserve their own movie, even if it is an actor I think chews his scenes and plays the same sullen disaffected role no matter what. 

Do wwe know for sure that the mandated refusal of having kryptonite that was declared in Man of Steel is absolute for this movie as well? 

• Love 2
Do wwe know for sure that the mandated refusal of having kryptonite that was declared in Man of Steel is absolute for this movie as well? 

We know for sure that it is NOT in effect; both the Entertainment Weekly article and the 2:47 mark of the Comic-Con trailer indicate that kryptonite is here.

(Spoiler drawn from the EW article and the Comic-Con trailer.)

With Ben Affleck playing the next Batman I realized something this weekend (probably not the first person to notice it). But once this movie comes out, the last 3 actors to play Batman in movies are academy award winners (Affleck, Bale and Clooney). Keaton was nominated last year but didn't win (so the majority of actors playing the role have at least nominations). Only Adam West and Val Kilmer are left out of that group.