Type keyword(s) to search

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Its the right move. Both movies are going to do better on different dates, but it makes WB look bad to have to move. In 2016 we will have forgotten all this and the movie will make some serious bank. It'll be all by itself in March, on three to five screens in every theatre. 

Its the right move. Both movies are going to do better on different  dates, but it makes WB look bad to have to move. In 2016 we will have forgotten all this and the movie will make some serious bank. It'll be all by itself in March, on three to five screens in every theatre. 

On the other hand dumping it into March, rather than having it set up to be a summer block buster could say something about how much faith they have in the movie. People, especially young people have less free time in March compared to in the summer. Plus even in March there is a significant portion of north america where the weather is still shitty, to the point where that could have an effect on how much they make.

Edited by Kel Varnsen

Agreed that March is a bit of a risk, but its only one week earlier than when Cap2 opened and it did more than alright. I really don't see it as a dump into March because they're worried about the quality of the film. WB ended up with March because 2016 is so packed that there isn't anywhere else to put it. If two months ago, when this whole thing started, they had chosen a different weekend, they could have picked from a few dates, but the year is crowded and they need to be the only new/recent IMAX film out that weekend to maximize their box office. All of the good dates are now taken. By going in March, they will not have to share the screens with anything and most theatres will run BvS on two or more screens. If they picked a weekend where someone else had laid a claim, they'd have to split those screens and it would cut their box office. This is the smartest move they could make considering where they are at this time.

WB's mistake was scheduling against Marvel in the first place, not backing into March. The move to March is the first smart thing I've seen them do with this film.

• Love 3

Agreed that March is a bit of a risk, but its only one week earlier than when Cap2 opened and it did more than alright. I really don't see it as a dump into March because they're worried about the quality of the film. WB ended up with March because 2016 is so packed that there isn't anywhere else to put it. If two months ago, when this whole thing started, they had chosen a different weekend, they could have picked from a few dates, but the year is crowded and they need to be the only new/recent IMAX film out that weekend to maximize their box office. All of the good dates are now taken. By going in March, they will not have to share the screens with anything and most theatres will run BvS on two or more screens. If they picked a weekend where someone else had laid a claim, they'd have to split those screens and it would cut their box office. This is the smartest move they could make considering where they are at this time.

I see your point but it still seems like dumping to me. Hell by 2016 Marvel will have released 12 movies. By then people will probably already be talking about Avengers 3.

WB's mistake was scheduling against Marvel in the first place, not backing into March. The move to March is the first smart thing I've seen them do with this film.

This. It's gotten to the point that I dread any new announcement from WB because it's likely to be some other nonsensical casting choice (Brainiac will be played by Jonah Hill!) or production decision made of fail (it will be shot on B&W videotape!). I'm just crossing my fingers that Henry Cavill's Superman will still be in the movie by the time it's released.

• Love 1

I don't see the March release date as a bad idea.  March has proven to be a good release date for a number of movies.  Both of the 300 films did well, as did WatchmenHunger Games and Divergent both released the first one in March.  It gives it a run in theaters up to 6 weeks before the May releases come out. 

I wonder if Snyder and WB felt it wouldn't be ready for a November 2015 release.  Production should be done sometime this fall and they would have a year for post production and SFX work to be completed.

I find out about the release date change while standing in the epic line at Midtown Comics for NYCC tickets. It was a highlight of the day lol. I always hated that both movies were going to open on the same day. I agree with others it was a stupid decision in the first place.

I think both movies will make more money now and at the end of the day that is what they care about the most. 

It's like the tumbler and Burton's car had a baby.

On the one hand, I kind of wish they had stuck with more something that looks like a real car. And I am not sure I like the double machine guns on the front.

But on the other hand, this is Bruce Wayne we are talking about. And after his planet suffered a devastating alien invasion I would totally believe that he would upgrade his current car to something a lot tougher.

But on the other hand, this is Bruce Wayne we are talking about. And after his planet suffered a devastating alien invasion I would totally believe that he would upgrade his current car to something a lot tougher.

I suppose that makes sense, but I don't imagine it would actually be very effective given that we've seen Kryptonians get thrown through railroad cars and reinforced buildings, and nothing less than an air-to-surface missile was able to hurt one. I'd think that concentrating on evasion and attacks that would turn enhanced senses into liabilities would work better than packing on armor and guns.

Edited by Bruinsfan

I suppose that makes sense, but I don't imagine it would actually be very effective given that we've seen Kryptonians get thrown through railroad cars and reinforced buildings, and nothing less than an air-to-surface missile was able to hurt one. I'd think that concentrating on evasion and attacks that would turn enhanced senses into liabilities would work better than packing on armor and guns.

Maybe, but at the same time Batman is the guy who knows he doesn't have superpowers so in turn he tried so be prepared for anything. I think having a tank would fit right in with that. I mean to me it is no more out there than having a jet. That said I think this tank/batmobile looks kind of ugly.

Maybe, but at the same time Batman is the guy who knows he doesn't have superpowers so in turn he tried so be prepared for anything. I think having a tank would fit right in with that. I mean to me it is no more out there than having a jet. That said I think this tank/batmobile looks kind of ugly.

It being ugly is the real crime, say what you will about Bruce, he's got style.

• Love 1

I think I am one of the few people that consider Henry Cavill to be clever and apt casting.  He is no Oscar winner but I liked what he brought to the role of Clark as conflicted (despite one of the worst scenes when Jonathan bites it ever written -- that includes Lifetime and Hallmark romance made for tv movies) and as Superman letting his reserve drop and take guilty pleasure in his powers.  I think he actually gave a more nuanced performance in his scenes with Adams' Lois Lane.  He sold Adams as Lane in those scenes in a way she never did.  Or will.  Her as Lois Lane still boggles my mind.

Cavill brought a physical presence of course that every other Superman film and tv has lacked.  He has a physical charisma for me. 

Now what is planned is just so wrong for me it is not funny.  Talk about driving a stake into something that was in critical condition after the first movie fell into the mess that was the last third.  Or more.  But it could have been handed over to someone else and nurtured and had some thought and wit instilled into the second movie. 

Mainly by casting Idris Elba as Lex Luthor.  A Lex that is lethally charming -- the reason Luthor is such a threat is because only superman truly realizes Lex's level of evil imo.  Also bring back kryptonite .  Also introduce a little homo-eroticism for the gays, women and Republican politicians and introduce the Parasite for the first time in a life action movie. 

• Love 3

Now what is planned is just so wrong for me it is not funny.  Talk about driving a stake into something that was in critical condition after the first movie fell into the mess that was the last third.  Or more.  But it could have been handed over to someone else and nurtured and had some thought and wit instilled into the second movie.

Other than going with the Zuckerberg-as-Lex angle (which I love for all kinds of reasons), what do you see as so wrong for you about this one?

• Love 1

I simply think the franchise needed to be built as Superman.  Granted I find Affleck incredibly bad casting as Batman/Wayne.  But I wanted to see Superman become a viable entity as it's own.  Plus what I have heard so far makes the story sound rather inane and even more mired in the whole video game ethos that I felt the last one veered heavily into and I find a lot of movies and even books now seem part of.  It is a natural occurrence i guess.  The authors who got me into the broad speculative fiction genre were themselves raised on books as entertainment.  Or radio and then the rather limited television.  Now I'm reading and watching the works of generational peers who seem to careen through the growing technology and mindset of more more more faster faster faster.  And this idea that Batman is needed to tell Superman's story seems part and parcel.  No one said a trilogy or tetralogy or any set series for Superman as they did the reboot of Batman was a guarantee.  Or how.  But that is what I hoped for and wanted. 

For me the old Superman comics of my father and even my grandfather (hoarder, or more of an archiver greater-grandmother to thank for that) have always been my favorite comics and comic setting.  I wanted a couple of movies to really explore that with the lessons learned in the Batman movies and what Marvel has managed (lessons learned both what to do and what not to do).  As someone who loathed the sappy weird Smallville, never connected with the original movies as they seem a bit too dated in many ways for me.  Thought the Routh attempt to re-boot so bad in many ways (it's a sequel that is a rewrite of the first movie...huh?).  It's just nowhere near what I was hoping for.

Now I've got to go yell at some kids to get out of my lawn.

• Love 1

Everyone, the DC Cinematic Universe is upon us!

Melding the info in the press release with their earlier-announced booked release dates gives this (courtesy of Batman-News.com):

• "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice," directed by Zack Snyder (03/25/16)
  • "Suicide Squad," directed by David Ayer (08/05/16)
  • "Wonder Woman," starring Gal Gadot (06/23/17)
  • "Justice League Part One," directed by Zack Snyder, with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams reprising their roles (11/17/17)
  • "The Flash," starring Ezra Miller (03/23/18)
  • "Aquaman," starring Jason Momoa (07/27/18)
  • "Shazam" (04/05/19), with The Rock as Black Adam
  • "Justice League Part Two," directed by Zack Snyder (06/14/19)
  • "Cyborg," starring Ray Fisher (04/03/20)
  • "Green Lantern" (06/19/20)

I want to be excited about this, but I'm not. Based on the DC movies we've gotten so far (excluding Nolanverse Batman,) I'll just be cautiously optimistic. 

I should be Wonder Woman!? About damn time. Yay! But with Goyer and Snyder involved, my first reaction is well, we'll see.

It still amazes me that it will be another 2 years before we see the Batman/Superman movie. I know a lot of it had to do with getting a good release date, but it seems like people will already be tired of hearing about it by the time it comes out.

(edited)

It's only a year and a half!  Don't depress me!

A couple of days ago, THR's The Hollywood Masters series did this interview with Charles Roven, one of the producers on BvS.  Some really good info here:

Edited by MarkHB

It still amazes me that it will be another 2 years before we see the Batman/Superman movie. I know a lot of it had to do with getting a good release date, but it seems like people will already be tired of hearing about it by the time it comes out.

Will be? I'm already tired of hearing about it, though I'm sure not liking most of what I've heard is a factor.

• Love 3

No one at the site where first saw the link knew what it was either. The video just shows snow falling on it with little or no sound.

They have done an amazing job of keeping both Batman and Wonder Woman hidden during filming. Not a single pic of either in costume leaked.

Is that a cape? Batman's glove? I can't tell, and can't get the video to work.

Upon further review of Larry Fong's Instagram account, it's actually just his sleeve; he thought the snow falling on it was pretty. The fact that he added "That's a wrap," though, is what made it newsworthy.

heebiejeebie, it's nice to know the hubby and I weren't the only ones that like Cavill in the role.  We actually liked the movie as well. 

I've only seen BA is 2 movies (if that) and they were so long ago, I can't remember if I thought he was a good actor or not.

The movies have sucked all the sleek style out of Batman, from the costume to the car, to the playboy image.   Clumsy rubber armor, tanks and an asshole is what they've left in their place.

Apart from his trident having too many prongs, I like it. Interestingly, Momoa's career has had an odd connection with the sea. Baywatch, Stargate Atlantis, now he's playing Aquaman. Anyone know if it's a coincidence, or he actively seeks out somewhat nautical roles?

Apart from his trident having too many prongs, I like it. Interestingly, Momoa's career has had an odd connection with the sea. Baywatch, Stargate Atlantis, now he's playing Aquaman. Anyone know if it's a coincidence, or he actively seeks out somewhat nautical roles?

He's also played Khal Drogo in Game of Thrones and the Dothraki feared the sea. So it's not... entirely water-based. But, he's Hawaiian, is he not? It's likely he has some affinity for the ocean. That being said... this looks great. I think most people's image of Aquaman comes from the old Justice League cartoons and this look is more in keeping with what Arthur has sported in the comics for over a decade. 

I like that they aren't going with the blonde, square-jawed white guy and the Polynesian aspects to the armor and tattoos totally works for the King of the Sea.

I like this a lot.

I know nothing about Aquaman, although I do know what I trident is.  However, I just did a Google image search on Aquaman to find out what he's looked like over the years and there are versions of the trident that have three primary prongs and two much smaller prongs on the sides, so they might be going for that look.  (I do not know how to post a picture though, so you'll have to take my word for it.  Incidentally, the search also brought back fan art of proposed actors for Aquaman, including Simon Baker and Ryan Phillippe -- I have to say I'm pleased they didn't go for the clean cut, blondie boy look.  Of course, I'm generally just happy to look at Jason Momoa in all circumstances so... I might be biased.).

Edited by dusang
Anyone know if it's a coincidence, or he actively seeks out somewhat nautical roles?

I think the nautical roles are coincidence. However, he has talked about how much the role of Aquaman means to him in connection with his Polynesian heritage, so the affinity for the sea appears to be real. There's a video floating around YouTube of him performing a haka as part of his Khal Drogo audition, and it is amazing! I am really excited for his Aquaman